Author Topic: James Cameron gets to finally play Jake Sully  (Read 6058 times)

Veidt

James Cameron gets to finally play Jake Sully
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:38:58 AM »
James Cameron may be one hell of a filmmaker, but there’s something about his real world adventures that are starting to get on my nerves. In the years between the release of Titanic and Avatar, Cameron took on all kinds of macho excursions available only to a famous director with all the time and money in the world. He turned some of his undersea dives into documentary films, but let’s face it: it was all just an excuse to live out his own dreams of becoming an explorer. Now that Avatar is finished, he is at it again, and he has suddenly thrust himself into the middle of a battle between the government of Brazil and the indigenous people of the Amazon rain forest.

Cameron is trying to stop the construction of a huge hydroelectric dam that would “flood hundreds of square miles of the Amazon and dry up a 60-mile stretch of the Xingu River.” This week, a judge ruled that bidding on the contract would be temporarily halted. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a problem with Cameron’s sudden interest in saving the environment, but these photos of him visiting the indigenous people wearing jeans and war paint almost seem offensive. It comes off as a privileged Hollywood big shot sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong, just because he’s some kind of delusional adrenaline junkie.

Clearly it’s a good cause, but with all the problems in the world that he could be helping to solve, is this really the most important one? As Avatar heads to DVD and Blu-ray next week, it’s hard not to see this as a bit of a publicity stunt — not that the movie really needs any extra marketing help. He even brought a copy of Avatar to screen for the natives, although unfortunately I don’t think they got to see it in 3-D. I hope he at least showed it in high-def! What do you think, is James Cameron full of crap, or is his trip to the Amazon worthy of our admiration?
http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/04/15/james-cameron-fights-real-life-avatar-battle-in-the-amazon-rain-forest/

:rofl

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Re: James Cameron gets to finally play Jake Sully
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »
Old as fuck.
PS4

Veidt

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:44:43 AM »
:-\

:sadface

Green Shinobi

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:48:41 AM »
Whoever wrote the article sounds like a douchebag.

Say what you want about his films, but the man's intentions are good. Preventing the destruction of the Amazon is unequivocally a good thing, even if his facial paint looks silly.

I bet this guy also thinks Bono is an asshole for trying to help out in Africa.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:43 AM »
Wait, that's not a photoshop?
AMC

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:08:03 AM »

Say what you want about his films, but the man's intentions are good. Preventing the destruction of the Amazon is unequivocally a good thing, even if his facial paint looks silly.

wtf does that have to do with this half-assed attempt at cultural assimilation?

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
am nintenho's unfailing attempt at being always wrong continues.

who fucking cares if he looks a bit douchy doing it, you seem much more concerned with his status than the legitimate cause in question and just want to wear a :smug instead of contributing anything about real on earth issues.
___

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:49:06 AM »

Bono wouldn't go around dressed in native garb while wearing jeans and a button down thinking he is fitting in and relates to them. :smug

James Cameron is a arrogant fucker who thinks his movies help the world when they are just mindless blockbusters. He has said Terminator 2 had the best anti-nuke message of any movie since Gojira at one point for christ sake. Terminator 2! The guy is full of himself and has a huge ego.

Comparing him to the work Bono does for Africa which is really significant unlike Cameron is mind boggling. Cameron may do some good (though its hard not to have that negated by his idea that his movies change the world and have important earth shattering messages, which is just part of his insane ego)  but none of it compares to what Bono does. Very few if any celebrities come close to Bono's work. I am not a big fan of Bono but what he does is worthy of respect and should not have to endure comparisons to James fucking Cameron.

Bringing up Cameron in comparison to him is just...wow. You really are a blind fan of his.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:58:16 AM by Cheebs »

Green Shinobi

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 10:08:08 AM »
First of all, I brought Bono up in passing; I wasn't comparing Cameron's recent efforts to what Bono has been doing for years.

Second, you're saying that even if Cameron does some good for the world, his ego negates it? Sorry, but that's ridiculous. If the guy can help prevent a significant chunk of the Amazon rainforest from being destroyed, I don't care if he has a YHWH-sized ego.

Third, there's a good chance the natives encouraged Cameron to don the face paint.

Cheebs

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:12:45 AM »
First of all, I brought Bono up in passing; I wasn't comparing Cameron's recent efforts to what Bono has been doing for years.

Second, you're saying that even if Cameron does some good for the world, his ego negates it? Sorry, but that's ridiculous. If the guy can help prevent a significant chunk of the Amazon rainforest from being destroyed, I don't care if he has a YHWH-sized ego.

Third, there's a good chance the natives encouraged Cameron to don the face paint.

A main thing that is crazy about your posts is this is a guy who has been divorced like 5 times (and nearly every time it was because he was cheating on his current wife) and most actors who has worked with him has claimed he is rude, egotistic, full of himself and more or less impossible to work with. Yet you are under this odd impression he is some kind of great guy. Kate Winslet says there is only one director in her career she will never work with again, James Cameron. The two leads of The Abyss Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio have both said Cameron is the worst director they have ever worked with. Ed Harris said Cameron even made him cry because of how little he cared about his actors. Leonardo DiCaprio said Cameron always ignored him when he asked for character motivation and the like and was always far more consumed in the special effects aspect to ever help direct him as an actor and so on.

Dude is not a nice guy by all indications. Despite the fact you like this movies.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:17:52 AM by Cheebs »

Green Shinobi

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »
I don't care about what he's like on set.

The only thing that's relevant to this thread is his efforts to prevent deforestation in the Amazon. I think that's a noble goal. His demeanor while he's working on a film makes no difference.

Were there tons of other influential people lined up to try to stop construction of this dam? Doesn't seem like it. From what I can tell, he's making a big difference in this particular instance. That's all that matters.

FYI, I'm a fan because I like his films. I don't care about his personality; I've never met the guy. Lots of talented people can be tough to work with. Supposedly Kobe Bryant is intense as all hell and kind of a dick at Lakers practices, but I don't really give a fuck about that; I'm a fan of the team and of him as a player.

Cheebs

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »
But the way he goes about it is in the most douchey way imaginable, you don't see that?

Green Shinobi

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
I guess.

It really depends on why he's wearing that face paint in the picture. It's very possible that one of the natives thought it would be cool or wanted to help him feel like part of the group. I was hanging out in a Rwang village in Thailand a few years back, and it was around New Years time, and they encouraged me to wear some of the traditional clothing and take part in their rituals. That kind of thing happens. Also, if you were really amped about a project like this, you might find yourself doing stuff like that out of your own natural enthusiasm.

I'm sure the guy has the self-awareness to realize how ridiculous it would look for him to don the face paint if his motivations were what you believe them to be.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:46:13 AM by Green Shinobi »

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »
This thread  :-\
QED

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:13:17 AM »
James Cameron still relevant :-\
haa

Green Shinobi

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 11:22:09 AM »
Hopefully he can wrap this up and get started on his next film sooner rather than later.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »

I had the same reaction. James Cameron :lol
PSP

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »
I doubt Bono goes to Africa and forces people who couldn't care less about music to listen to all his albums while he rants about how he's going to single handedly save their people.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »
"I watch movies to get away from real life." 6/10

"Lack of 3D is apparent. We're a stone age tribe, Mr. Cameron, but we're not idiots." 6/10

"Amazing special effects and well-directed action scenes can't disguise a worn-out story and wooden acting." 5/10

"Best Cameron film since Aliens! Suck it, T2." 10/10
dog

Cheebs

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »
I doubt Bono goes to Africa and forces people who couldn't care less about music to listen to all his albums while he rants about how he's going to single handedly save their people.
Shake again has the uncanny ability to sum everything up perfectly. :bow

I had the same reaction. James Cameron :lol
What are you trying to say? James Cameron making a sci-fi movie with a environmental message done in 100 movies before him and showing up in Africa with some make up on before jetting back off to his Hollywood life ISN'T changing our world for the better?!?!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:42:38 PM by Cheebs »

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 03:40:29 PM »
(Image removed from quote.) "I watch movies to get away from real life." 6/10

(Image removed from quote.) "Lack of 3D is apparent. We're a stone age tribe, Mr. Cameron, but we're not idiots." 6/10

(Image removed from quote.) "Amazing special effects and well-directed action scenes can't disguise a worn-out story and wooden acting." 5/10

(Image removed from quote.) "Best Cameron film since Aliens! Suck it, T2." 10/10

Icon this man :bow

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »

(Image removed from quote.) "Lack of 3D is apparent. We're a stone age tribe, Mr. Cameron, but we're not idiots." 6/10

(Image removed from quote.) "Amazing special effects and well-directed action scenes can't disguise a worn-out story and wooden acting." 5/10

(Image removed from quote.) "Best Cameron film since Aliens! Suck it, T2." 10/10

:rofl
ど助平

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »

:lol
SRY

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 04:10:16 PM »

Quote from: JC (No, not that one, the one pictured above)
I think it’s really interesting that these people see their reality reflected in the movie. And of course this is what’s caused all of these [environmental] groups to come to us and say, “Can you help us? Can we do fundraising? Can you help with awareness? Can we associate our website? Can we link to ‘Avatar'?" All of these things. Right now, my challenge is to orchestrate this in a way that “Avatar” can continue to do some good. I think the movie itself is reaching people all over the world, which it clearly did by the amount of money it made. It created a sense of an emotional response to this environmental crisis and I think it even may have made it an emotional call to action. The next step is people need to know what to do -- what do I specifically do in my life next so that I don’t feel helpless and powerless. [...] Well, I think it makes certain projects that I liked as potential films seem trivial by comparison. I think it makes the idea of making another “Avatar” film more attractive. Because not only is it good business, but it’s good for the environment.

James Cameron: Activist, Filmmaker :avatar

Veidt

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 04:58:06 PM »
"Because not only is it good business, but it’s good for the environment."

Right before he probably flies off in his private Jet or worse, commercial airliner.  :lol

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »
I wonder how much of that box office take is actually funding worthwhile environmental efforts. ::)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »
Oh.my.God. Like Cajole I've been under the impression that that image was a photoshop. Jeans and Sneakers when goin' native.
:9

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 05:23:53 PM »
When I first saw it I assumed it was from an Onion article or something. :lol :-\

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
:bow James Cameron :bow2, I hope Avatar 2 makes even more money than the first, the more haters tears the better.
Drunk

Diunx

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
I missed you GS, those two days without you where a borefest.
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
Green Shinobi, Cheebs and Am Nintenho all have an oopinion on something?  Oh dear, this may be the worst thread ever on Evilbore.

Cheebs is twice the poster you are, man.

Dunno dude, they both probably weight 80 pounds. A more accurate accessment might be "Cheebs is four times as many Gs as you"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:01:16 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »
Hey now, Cohen's body is a good fit for him.  Only thing worse than a hipster is a fat one. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
Would a fat hipster wear sweats? Or does wearing sweats mean you aren't a hipster? Certainly a philosophical question worthy of the Matrix treatment.

Diunx

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 09:10:47 PM »
He would probably wear scarfs to hide the fat neck.
Drunk

Cheebs

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »
Green Shinobi, Cheebs and Am Nintenho all have an oopinion on something?  Oh dear, this may be the worst thread ever on Evilbore.

Cheebs is twice the poster you are, man. I don't even agree with him on a lot of things, and it's still obvious.

I'd rather argue the filmography of James Cameron with someone who likes him than have a forum where everyone agrees about his films so I take that compliment.  8)

And 80 pounds PD? I am a lot better shape than you I bet.  :lol
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the abyss :shh
[close]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:16:48 PM by Cheebs »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »
Next time we meet Cheebs, we'll weight each other then determine who's muscles are bigger  :omg

Cheebs

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »
Next time we meet Cheebs, we'll weight each other then determine who's muscles are bigger  :omg
I lift weights for 45 min 4 days a week, jog 2-3 miles 6 days a week, and do 100 pushups every day the second I wake up. I bet I win  :-*.

Also this conversation has drifted very gay very quickly.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:27:17 PM by Cheebs »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
yea right  :lol

Cheebs

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 11:09:13 PM »
yea right  :lol
I am completely serious, I obsess over working out. 

Also your demand to compare muscles made this the gayest thread since my return here, congrats mauuuurrriiiceeee  :-*

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 12:43:44 AM »
Cheebs is fucking sexy, no joke.  I got so many replies off Beautiful People by using his pics.
PS4

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 01:02:46 AM »
compare love muscles
AMC

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 01:38:29 AM »
he should make a film centered around Nerdy Scientist Guy.  Lots of avenues left unexplored with his character imo.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 01:49:46 AM »
compare love muscles

1000 to 1 odds in favor of PD

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 02:11:47 AM »
Cheebs is twice the poster you are, man. I don't even agree with him on a lot of things, and it's still obvious.

How the hell did you become an icon anyway? With the other icons, even if I don't like some of them, I can still see how they got to be icons. You're just inexplicable. It's like if you were to walk into Canton 20 years from now and see Jake Plummer in the NFL Hall of Fame. It makes no sense. I'd suspect that you sucked demi off, but he'd probably lose wood in two seconds looking at your anorexic frame.

This post :bow

Most of the Icons don't really have any reason for being Icons, honestly. In fact as an old school Evilborian most of the Icons I see popping up now are random dudes I don't know of, who haven't done anything of note or have an interesting personality from what I've seen. I guess if you're buddy buddy with Willco, the mods or other Icons you're in.

Me and Cheebs have more of a reason to be Icons than most of ya'll :-*

Smooth Groove

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2010, 02:17:05 AM »
nah, you're a 3rd rate poster at best

spoiler (click to show/hide)
which puts you at the same level as most of the Icons  :patel
[close]

Icon means shit anyways.  Like you said, it just means that you're chums with the fat Jew in charge. 

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2010, 02:19:29 AM »
Nah, third rate is people like drew and Fresh Prince. At least I take time to actually make coherent posts and don't just shit up discussions with pointless, unfunny one-liners and such :punch

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2010, 02:30:04 AM »
Icon is a popularity contest, dude. I wouldn't worry about it. Plus most of the Iconhoods came from years of posting on GAF before this forum existed anyways.

I personally don't give a shit.
HLR

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2010, 02:31:21 AM »
No, I'm just saying that being an Icon doesn't mean shit. I don't care about being Iconed and I doubt Cheebs does either. We both realize by now being Icon doesn't mean shit, but probably means you're also a douchebag. :usacry

Himu

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2010, 02:31:34 AM »
what the fuck started this icon shit

who cares
IYKYK

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2010, 02:31:58 AM »
what the fuck started this icon shit

who cares

Entitlement :greenshinobi

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2010, 02:32:24 AM »
:'(
AMC

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2010, 02:33:28 AM »
:'(

Nah, you're one of the rare good ones :bow

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 02:35:26 AM »
 :omg :heartbeat
AMC

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2010, 03:51:55 AM »
International Sega Saturn thief Mupepe is an icon, that renders the whole title more of an insult than anything.
PS4

drew

• sy
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 04:17:32 AM »
par for the course when it comes to successful people in show biz, really, i dont get why you guys are debating this (actually i do, its just kind of stupid)

its simply an innately funny pic because its an awkward shot of a show biz success in action in the bush; the parallels between avodart's tribal setting makes it fodder for cynical trolls who resent all the fanfare and undeserved awards that surrounded awabar and its creator earlier in the year

Nah, third rate is people like drew and Fresh Prince. At least I take time to actually make coherent posts and don't just shit up discussions with pointless, unfunny one-liners and such :punch

i can be third rate and top tier at the same time, i am an enigma, you either love me or you hate me, i guess im just that guy :smug
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:21:36 AM by drew »

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:49 AM »
Case in point :wstupid

Green Shinobi

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2010, 05:32:46 AM »
drew >>>>>>> Cohen

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »