Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1489533 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: NBA Off-season Thread of Lebron and D-Wade Sweepstakes
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »
LeBron-Wade-Bosh and a bunch of nobodies might be the best team in the east, particularly as the Celtics get older and if the Magic can't move some bad contracts (Carter, Lewis) and improve their roster, but I think Rose-LeBron-Bosh (or Boozer)-Deng-Noah would be better.

Perhaps I'm not as hyped on that triumvirate because truthfully I know nothing about Bosh other than he played at Georgia Tech for a year. Playing in Toronto basically makes him invisible. I've seen Amare and Boozer enough times making deep runs into the playoffs, not so much with Bosh.

Well, I agree. But the Bulls are going to run into depth issues fairly shortly anyway. In fact, they should already be talking contract extension with Noah if they want to keep him. So LeBron really has to be comfortable that the owner is going to be willing to spend over the next 7-10yrs of his career, not just give him the max and sit back. Reinsdorf has a very spotty record there (if you'll cheap out on Scottie Pippen and Phil Jackson, you'll do it to anybody).
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2010, 11:55:51 PM »
Fitting that Allan Houston is in that pic.

Who better to show Amare all the hot spots to shop for designer ice packs

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2010, 12:03:56 AM »
LOLakers

©@©™

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »
Close to 100 million for maybe a +2 differential seems like a pretty lousy investment but at least Amare will light up the Garden every now and then with a highlight play.  At this point, Knicks management would be happy with that.  

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2010, 12:07:28 AM »
vs resigning David Lee, or Carlos Boozer, it looks pretty awesome.

The bottom line is that as much as they want LeBron most, they ultimately need a big man and Amar'e is the best of those willing to sign. If you choose to look at that as failure, you're not being very realistic. It's not as if 2002 Shaq is out there begging for a contract.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2010, 12:08:35 AM »
LOLakers

(Image removed from quote.)

It's nice to see that most Americans still believe in Truth, Justice and No Means No.   :american

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 12:09:18 AM »
What in the world is the context of that poll? The Saints? Seriously? Is this about recent champions? If so, what is "Team Edward?"

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 12:13:28 AM »
looks like the world knows what's up

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »
There's hope in Cleveland, as Toronto is apparently willing to do a sign-and-trade with Bosh to Cleveland. The only question is whether Bosh would go to Cleveland. ESPN says he wants to play with James, James wants Bosh in Cleveland, but Bosh doesn't want Cleveland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5357607

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2010, 04:14:33 PM »
There's hope in Cleveland, as Toronto is apparently willing to do a sign-and-trade with Bosh to Cleveland. The only question is whether Bosh would go to Cleveland. ESPN says he wants to play with James, James wants Bosh in Cleveland, but Bosh doesn't want Cleveland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5357607

and honestly, who would
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2010, 08:12:36 PM »
I'm starting to lose hope that free agency will really reshape the power structure much. Bosh to Cleveland would make for a great team if it happened. I like Jamison and Mo Williams a lot better as 3rd and 4th options than as 2nd and 3rd. And Prof. Hollinger (who is right a hell of a lot more than he is wrong) thinks Bosh is the best partner for LeBron's playing style. His logic makes a lot of sense to me - Bosh needs the ball much less than other potential partners like Wade or Rose, can spot up and draw away opposing big men, and rebounds like crazy for someone who spends as much time outside the paint as he does. He can also run the break etc etc.

That could leave Wade with Boozer (meh) and maybe second-stringers like Mike Miller and Raymond Felton. I don't know that Boozer is that big an upgrade over Udonis Haslem, even. Chicago might even strike out completely.
vjj

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2010, 10:34:39 PM »
OK now, this is dumb.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5359255

That says LeBron is going to reveal his decision during a 1 hour special on ESPN Thursday night at 9 PM (ET).

This isn't some high school kid enjoying his fifteen minutes of fame with half a dozen hats to select from. C'mon, LeBron. Just issue a statement to the media.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
LOL!

I love it.

Drama bitches!

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »
I like how ESPN is reporting that sources at ESPN are telling them this is going to happen. :rofl
PSP

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »
I like how ESPN is reporting that sources at ESPN are telling them this is going to happen. :rofl

"Sources say we're involved. We'll have our people call our people."

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2010, 10:39:36 PM »
I bet he's picked by Slytherin!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »
Twitter:

@RONARTESTCOM: I'm would love to sedate a lion. Then lay under her arms
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2010, 09:13:23 AM »
ESPN is saying Wade and Bosh are signing with Miami. Whoo hoo, next season is gonna be fun! Would like to see LeBron either join them or go to Chicago, either would be fun.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2010, 09:22:32 AM »
Sweet. If Lebron  doesn't join them, then he has to go to the Bulls or the Knicks if he cares about winning. I don't know anything about the Nets.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2010, 09:30:07 AM »
Well, the Nets have a few nice pieces in Devin Harris and Brook Lopez, but Harris' driving game doesn't really fit with LeBron's. The big strike against them is having to play for 2yrs in Newark - may as well stay in Akron. It's pretty likely any contract LeBron signs will have a player option after the 3rd year, so he might only be planning on staying for 3 yrs before doing all this all over again. If that's the case, there is plenty of time for him to go play on Jay-Z's team and have fun under the bright lights in NYC.

The only outcome that would really disappoint me is him staying on the Cavs. I'm tired of watching him try to pull those guys up to his level. They can only win with their D and relying on him to do all the work on O.
vjj

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2010, 09:31:10 AM »
Sweet. If Lebron  doesn't join them, then he has to go to the Bulls or the Knicks if he cares about winning. I don't know anything about the Nets.
:teehee
©ZH

Beezy

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »
KNICKS WILL RISE FROM THE GRAVE

Beezy

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2010, 09:40:10 AM »
The only outcome that would really disappoint me is him staying on the Cavs.
This or going to the Nets will piss me off especially because people keep mentioning his friendship with Jay-Z as the reason for going there.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »
Well, he's not going to the Nets. Staying with the Cavs seems like a real possibility though. All his buddies are based there (i.e. have set up businesses which he is funding and so forth) so they will be pressuring him pretty hard to stay, no doubt. Plus, he seems to like the organization and his teammates, and they had a lot of success in the regular season at least. It's hard to say that he's win more in NYC with Amare than with that group. It's only the Bulls or the Heat that could really boost his post-season chances next year I think.
vjj

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
With Bosh set to join Wade in Miami instead of doing the sign-and-trade and joining LeBron in Cleveland, I have no idea how LeBron stays in town. That doesn't mean he won't, and it doesn't mean he wouldn't have competitive reasons to, it's just that those reasons are not readily apparent. Their roster is what it is, and they don't have much (if any?) cap room. It comes down to whether or not they're able to work trades is and obtain the right pieces.

Then again, Shaq comes off the books this year, right? Does that give them any room or were they screwed without that salary anyway?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2010, 12:08:56 PM »
BOSH, LEBRON and WADE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM RIGHT
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2010, 12:11:08 PM »
The best route was LeBron and Bosh on that Bulls roster, but they blew it. It looks like Cleveland or bust for LeBron. Who else can Cleveland get, though?
PSP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2010, 12:14:59 PM »
Looks like the road is open for LeBron to come to Dallas.  8)
dog

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »
The best part about this scenario, is that one of the Wizards' hopes (that the Big Three would stay or go on one team), would leave a handful of teams with eggs on their faces and willing to trade for Arenas in the hopes of making lemonade out of swill water.

Knicks, Jets, Bulls, etc.

COME ON DOWN, AGENT ZERO CAN BE YOURS!
PSP

Beezy

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
Wade and Bosh on ESPNNews and just confirmed that they're playing for Miami. Cross them out please.

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2010, 12:47:46 PM »
LeBron should go to the Clippers!! :hyper
UNF

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2010, 12:51:13 PM »

Do you hate the guy or something?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2010, 12:54:39 PM »
At this moment I could see Lebron going to Chicago.  Wouldn't be that much better than Cleveland though, to be honest.  It's like bizarro Cleveland, that team.

Noah <--> Varejao
Deng <--> Parker
Miller <--> Z

The only true perk I guess would be Rose.
püp

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
Plus, they still have cap space to sign another max contract after tomorrow (they're unloading Hinrich to the Wiz). So they can get LeBron and somebody else, but who else would fit that roster?
PSP

Smooth Groove

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2010, 01:00:56 PM »
At this moment I could see Lebron going to Chicago.  Wouldn't be that much better than Cleveland though, to be honest.  It's like bizarro Cleveland, that team.

Noah <--> Varejao
Deng <--> Parker
Miller <--> Z

The only true perk I guess would be Rose.

I give the edge to both Noah and Deng as well.  They will look much better when playing with Lebron.

Plus, they still have cap space to sign another max contract after tomorrow (they're unloading Hinrich to the Wiz). So they can get LeBron and somebody else, but who else would fit that roster?

Maybe a couple of dependable perimeter shooters?  The project starting lineup is awfully thin on outside shooting. 

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
They could probably get Boozer for less than a max deal and make a run at Redick for a sharpshooter off the bench.

Of course, at that point, the team would be Chicago LeBron & the supporting Blue Devils.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »
Yeah, I'd also take Noah and Deng over Varejao and Parker.
PSP

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »

no, I'm a Clipper fan  :fbm
UNF

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »
The Clips will never get a player like LeBron as long as Sterling is the owner. You're doomed to being second fiddle in LA probably forever, but certainly until Sterling no longer controls the team. Mediocrity guaranteed.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »
Clipper fans :lol
PSP

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
I live near LA and I'm the only Clippers fan i know  :'(
UNF

Smooth Groove

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »
My dad gets me Clippers tickets several times a year.  I just go to see the visiting teams that I'm interested in.   :lol

One time I won some VIP package with courtside seats, limo ride and a free dinner.  It was pretty cool to sit a couple of feet away from Billy Crystal but he left at halftime. 

Stoney Mason

Re: NBA Off-season Thread of Thursday Lebron ESPN Specials
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »
I feel sorry for the clips. They've at times assembled a lot of talent and wasted the careers of a lot of good players. Sterling is fucking awful though and that team will always be awful with him owning them. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »
Yeah, the atmosphere at Clippers games is just terrible. It's hard to win when the team barely even has home court advantage. 90% of the people watching are just there to see the other team. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »
Yeah, the atmosphere at Clippers games is just terrible. It's hard to win when the team barely even has home court advantage. 90% of the people watching are just there to see the other team. 

Yeah it reminds me of the Tampa Bucs as a kid growing up who were always awful. You need a whole culture change for that team to be successful. A new owner with a commitment to stopping them from being a laughing stock and a joke and that losing is okay. He also is gonna have to really spend some money.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »
Yeah, I'd also take Noah and Deng over Varejao and Parker.

Oh definitely, I was just saying the potential Bulls line-up is creepily similar to the Cavs last year.
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »

no, I'm a Clipper fan  :fbm
I can die now cause I've seen it all.
©ZH

Beezy

« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »
LeBron signing with the Knicks has that sort of he'll get injured at training camp and sit out a year and come back as a 19 points per game player and management will make some ill advised trades for an overpriced center and eventually have to trade lebron to an even worse Trailblazers team who will not what to do with him and his last chance will come with the Orlando Magic who will make it to the semifinals two years running but ultimately fail to win a championship.  He should go to Chicago.
shutup

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Has kovalchuk signed yet?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »
Funniest thing about this is that for the last month we've been told everyone would be waiting for LeBron to make his move, then the tide would start raging. Instead Bosh and Wade might have just limited LeBron's choices. Re-signing with Cle for six years would guarantee he won't win a championship by the time he turns 30. Signing with the Knicks would be explosive, but it would take longer for them to build a team around him and Amare than it will take for Miami to build something. Bosh is superior to Amare in every possible way, and Wade has a larger killer instinct.

If he wants to win a championship and force respect, he'll sign with Chicago; if he signs with Miami and wins rings people could easily dismiss him as not winning anything without an all star team. Chicago with LeBron and Boozer would be the best team in the NBA.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »
Clearly, if LeBron wants to win, he'll go to Dallas.   :dur

Beezy

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2010, 03:17:43 PM »
Is there any truth at all in Carmelo wanting to play for Knicks next year or is just another evil rumor?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »
Beezy already getting worked up over more false hopes. :lol
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2010, 03:20:37 PM »
I never heard it as a rumor. Amare just said he was good friends with Melo and was recruiting him. I don't trust the Knicks organization to put together a good team, fuck em

GO TO CHICAGO LEBRON. Marry Wade's ex and lets start some epic drama

Beezy

« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »
Shutup Willco!

I never heard it as a rumor. Amare just said he was good friends with Melo and was recruiting him. I don't trust the Knicks organization to put together a good team, fuck em

GO TO CHICAGO LEBRON. Marry Wade's ex and lets start some epic drama
This was mentioned before Amare announced being with the Knicks though.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »
So Wade is staying? :(

Wanted to see him move.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2010, 03:34:59 PM »
Miami's going to be good. Assuming they don't get LeBron, they'll have room for some nice roleplayers

Orlando will still be a force, but continue to be held back by Howard's lack of skills

Boston is getting old but will still be good

Chicago will be decent and has a good future regardless of whether they land LeBron

In short, the east is going to be damn competitive. LeBron would be a fool to stay in Cle, if he's actually interested in winning rings that is

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »
Since we're doing pie in the sky, LeBron should do a sign and trade to Orlando. LBJ to Cleveland: you'll take Rashard Lewis and you'll like it. Then dump VC to New Orleans, grab Chris Paul, and have an epic team. The east would run through Florida for a few years.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2010, 04:10:55 PM »
Apparently LeBron is holding his live broadcast at Allan Houston's house

beezy redeemed

Beezy

« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
Since we're doing pie in the sky, LeBron should do a sign and trade to Orlando. LBJ to Cleveland: you'll take Rashard Lewis and you'll like it. Then dump VC to New Orleans, grab Chris Paul, and have an epic team. The east would run through Florida for a few years.
Fuck Florida

Apparently LeBron is holding his live broadcast at Allan Houston's house

beezy redeemed
Thought that was also just a rumor?