Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1531785 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: NBA 2K11 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #1860 on: May 09, 2011, 02:40:27 AM »
Should Jason Terry be pissed at missing the chance to break the playoffs 3pt record, btw? He had a whole quarter left and he was basically a human fireball at the point where Carlisle took him out. He could have shattered it!
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #1861 on: May 09, 2011, 02:42:45 AM »
I was mad that Terry didn't get to run it up to a 50 pt win but seeing how the Lakers react to losing badly, Carlisle probably made the right choice. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1862 on: May 09, 2011, 02:45:19 AM »
It wasn't like the Mavs stopped bombing though. Peja in particular just kept on killing.

I must say, it's pretty scary to think that the Mavs don't even use Dirk Freakin' Nowitzki as a 3 point shooter recently. Basically one of the greatest outside shooters ever, and they don't even need him to play that role.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1863 on: May 09, 2011, 02:56:12 AM »
Dallas' bench scored 86 tonight, btw. what the fuck :lol
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1864 on: May 09, 2011, 03:06:40 AM »
Playoffs are bananers this year.

Would kinda like to see Dallas win over the Heat, get revenge and the first rings for a bunch of 2005 all-stars.  Expect the WCF to be more competitive than this was, though.  I mean, how could it not be?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1865 on: May 09, 2011, 03:15:15 AM »
I'm thinking maybe the Grizz will finish off OKC (unless Westbrook grows up real fast), then take the third straight game 1 on the road against the Mavs. From that point, it will be a WAR.

And the great thing is...crazy as these playoffs are, the better team will win out. Luck just doesn't come into a 7 game series much. The Grizz WERE better than the Spurs. The Mavs WERE better than the Lakers.
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #1866 on: May 09, 2011, 04:25:44 AM »
In two or three years Bynum will be passed up or equal to guys like Ibaka, Cousins and Hibbert, and still far behind Howard and Pau. Is he even all that much better than Nene now? I just wouldn't want a guy with injury issues who may have already peaked.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1867 on: May 09, 2011, 04:32:51 AM »
I think at this point we can legitimately question whether he is a decent human being and has any kind of competitive spirit, but may have already peaked? :lol

Newsflash - Ibaka is not gonna be traded, and Dwight Howard doesn't want to go to OKC, Sacto or Indiana. These are not realistic scenarios, no matter what you might think they're worth. The issues under consideration are:

1) For LA - blowing it up and retooling RIGHT NOW, because their chemistry is clearly fucked and Kobe only has a few yrs left at most;
2) For Orlando - how to get somebody they can build around with some degree of legitimacy, in order to justify that absurd payroll and the glistening new arena

Don't forget that Otis Birdsong just brought on Gilbert 'no knees' Arenas and his 120 million contract. And Arenas is coming off the bench! :lol He would be VERY happy to get Bynum in return, I'd say.

Also, if you think Bynum and DaMarcus Cousins have even comparable trade value, I dunno what to say. Cousins may not even be in the NBA in a few years.
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1868 on: May 09, 2011, 04:51:11 AM »

etiolate

« Reply #1869 on: May 09, 2011, 05:36:28 AM »
I think at this point we can legitimately question whether he is a decent human being and has any kind of competitive spirit, but may have already peaked? :lol

Newsflash - Ibaka is not gonna be traded, and Dwight Howard doesn't want to go to OKC, Sacto or Indiana. These are not realistic scenarios, no matter what you might think they're worth. The issues under consideration are:

1) For LA - blowing it up and retooling RIGHT NOW, because their chemistry is clearly fucked and Kobe only has a few yrs left at most;
2) For Orlando - how to get somebody they can build around with some degree of legitimacy, in order to justify that absurd payroll and the glistening new arena

Don't forget that Otis Birdsong just brought on Gilbert 'no knees' Arenas and his 120 million contract. And Arenas is coming off the bench! :lol He would be VERY happy to get Bynum in return, I'd say.

Also, if you think Bynum and DaMarcus Cousins have even comparable trade value, I dunno what to say. Cousins may not even be in the NBA in a few years.

My point was that Bynum isn't really upper tier. He's second tier, and could easily be caught. He's not that alluring to me, considering his injury history. I wasn't pondering those guys as being traded for Dwight, because of exactly your reason, and your reason is what is messed up about the situation. Orlando is going to get limited returns because of pressure to go to a team like the Lakers when other situations may offer Orlando better prospects and salary relief. LA offers them no salary relief, maybe even more burden.

I think you underestimate Cousins. I was not a fan of his in college, but he's already having his way against a guy like Bynum as a rookie, and once he learns the way of the NBA, he'll get much better. Cousins is a guy who makes mistakes because he tries to do too much, but the flipside is that he thinks he can do those things because he has done them, because he has the ability to do them and sometimes pulls them off. He just needs to learn how to read the defense and know when to use which tool.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1870 on: May 09, 2011, 07:11:58 AM »
Orlando is going to get limited returns because the best player in any deal we can imagine involving Dwight Howard wants out (assuming that all these reports are not just bullshit - there are also reports that what he really wants is to bring Chris Paul or Deron Williams to Orlando). And not only does he want OUT, he wants to go to a big market where he can be the center of attention. So yeah, it's unfair, but that limits the teams that will get to the table, just like it did with last summer's free agency.

Assuming that scenario, there is just no way that Orlando is going to get back your hypothetical 'first tier' big man (and it has to be a 'big man'). Apart from their lack of leverage, there IS no other big man on the same level as Dwight Howard, unless MAYBE Amare Stoudemire but I don't think most would take that seriously (Amare also has no knees and only plays one end of the floor). So I take the point that yeah, Bynum is not as valuable as Dwight Howard, but from a purely pragmatic standpoint, that's irrelevant.

I've seen Cousins play plenty, and he is fearsome when engaged. But it is also clear that he is exactly the headcase that he was advertised as, which cuts his trade value in half. I've seen more players overcome injuries than overcome being an idiot. He is exactly on track to be Derek Coleman from what I can see - a perennial heartbreaker who will destroy every team he comes near. Unless he turns it around real fast.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:13:49 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #1871 on: May 09, 2011, 08:14:23 AM »
I don't think Orlando is getting another first tier big man, because Dwight may be the only one. They could get a Bynum guy with a better contract and better health, who may still get better. Of course, not with the "I want to play here" scenario. Then again, there might be franchise tags after the lockout and Dwight isn't going anywhere. I can't imagine there won't be some sort of safeguard over what happened this past summer.

Cousins needs to not pout about refs and realize the league is BS, and you just keep dunking until they treat you nice. I think he's a little too open and emotional for today's NBA, but he reminds me of how the NBA used to be before it became status quo to look robotic. The immaturity and voicing of anger is also the same thing that makes him intense and unafraid.

For example, according to rumors (which is all you'll get of what happens), one of DMC's tussles with staff this year was him calling out double standards, a lack of passing and various issues with the team. The reason it was wrong was because he was a rookie, but he was also the only guy willing to point out problems. You kind of want that in a star player, but you worry about it with a young player. It's iffy but not entirely negative.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1872 on: May 09, 2011, 01:08:23 PM »
Colin Cowherd is such a moron.
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1873 on: May 09, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
I hope Peja gets his ring.  I always liked that Sacramento team that was robbed.  One of the best examples of team building.

Also any word on Bynum's fine and suspension?  I hope it's a big one.

e tu, cohen :(

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1874 on: May 09, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »
Agree with Kenny and Chuck that Bynum should have kept his jersey on.  Based on his arms, I didn't think that he still had that much body fat.  No Homo. 

Why would any superstar or even just a star want to play in LA?  As long as Kobe is around, any other Laker is only gonna get a small amount of the credit and a highly disproportionate share of the blame. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1875 on: May 09, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »
Dwight would fit in LA. Kobe will still be The Man, but Dwight would easily be the most dominant force in most games.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1876 on: May 09, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
Dwight would at least look much better shirtless for Hollywood. 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1877 on: May 09, 2011, 07:59:38 PM »
I don't think I've seen Bosh even go up for a rebound off of the board.  He's such a fucking pussy.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1878 on: May 09, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »
Refs giving the game to Boston atm
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1879 on: May 09, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »
anyone got a free link yo

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1880 on: May 09, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
for which game?
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1881 on: May 09, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
Lebron is a man. Heat to the finals.

Old teams are old.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1882 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
Bosh like a boss

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1883 on: May 09, 2011, 11:38:15 PM »
Didn't catch the heat celtics game but will torrent it tonight.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1884 on: May 09, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »
Hopefully OKC will get their act together.  As much as I would love to piss off pundits of convetional wisdom and the commish, Memphis is just not fun to watch and would make a really shitty finals. 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1885 on: May 10, 2011, 12:05:13 AM »
whaaaa?  Memphis is fun as shit to watch!
püp

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1886 on: May 10, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »
That's because you too are a bore.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1887 on: May 10, 2011, 12:34:08 AM »
Holy fuck. Great game. You are missing some amazing shit if you ain't watching this one.

And personally I don't think Memphis is boring at all.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1888 on: May 10, 2011, 12:34:59 AM »
what was that smooth groove

püp

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #1889 on: May 10, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »
That's because you too are a bore.

Spoken like a true Laker fan. :smug
UK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1890 on: May 10, 2011, 12:46:48 AM »
gah, fuck.  Memphis needs to drive to try some jumpers, going to the rim isn't working in this OT
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1891 on: May 10, 2011, 12:53:20 AM »
Terrific game in the drama department. I'll be sad for whichever teams loses it.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1892 on: May 10, 2011, 12:54:28 AM »
fffuuuuuu this game is too awesome
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1893 on: May 10, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »
WHY WOULD YOU TAKE THE THREE  ASDLKJFHBQOUHSDBF
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1894 on: May 10, 2011, 12:57:33 AM »
He shouldn't have taken that 3 there.  :(

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1895 on: May 10, 2011, 12:58:05 AM »
Boo why would they put Mayo in just to foul out?  Stupid.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1896 on: May 10, 2011, 01:01:23 AM »
GOTY

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1897 on: May 10, 2011, 01:02:20 AM »
this is fucking crazy.  ugliest three ever  :lol
püp

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #1898 on: May 10, 2011, 01:02:49 AM »
WHOA

Jjasper is somewhere perplexed too
UK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1899 on: May 10, 2011, 01:03:19 AM »
It's gonna hurt having Conley AND Mayo out, though.  They need some people to score out there.
püp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1900 on: May 10, 2011, 01:07:59 AM »
Collison is not good enough to be committing a dumb technical like that.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1901 on: May 10, 2011, 01:10:22 AM »
Memphis' D is gooooood
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1902 on: May 10, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »
Fuck it. Now I'm rooting for the Grizzlies to make it to the finals. How can you not love this team.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1903 on: May 10, 2011, 01:19:26 AM »
God this game, my dick is hard and I have to write a fucking paper
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1904 on: May 10, 2011, 01:21:55 AM »
best rebound sequence ever
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1905 on: May 10, 2011, 01:23:38 AM »
Game won't end. Triple OT.  :D

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1906 on: May 10, 2011, 01:23:51 AM »
Goddam, this game.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1907 on: May 10, 2011, 01:25:42 AM »
I hate/love this
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1908 on: May 10, 2011, 01:33:39 AM »
this game looks about over now.  grizzlies are just way too tired and their key players have fouled out
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1909 on: May 10, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
Looks like the thunder have finally got this one. Was a good game though.

etiolate

« Reply #1910 on: May 10, 2011, 01:43:44 AM »
FThunder

I quit the game at half because I couldn't stomach the refs. Looks like the fouls caught up to the Grizz.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1911 on: May 10, 2011, 02:11:03 AM »
Both the players who were DQ'ed did it giving intentional fouls.  Conley sort of had to, but then the coach put in Mayo and had him guard Westbrook in a must-foul situation when he was already sitting on five.  Herp derp.

Great game though.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1912 on: May 10, 2011, 04:45:54 AM »
Hooo boy!  Didn't I tell ya Thunder - Grizz would be a cage match! :D

I thought Boston played their asses off on D and did well on O for most of the game, but just got worn down by the Heat's constant pressure and superior athleticism (as Stoney has been expecting). It's a crushing loss as a fan but I can't say it was a terrible one. Rondo was their best shot at winning this series and he is clearly at half-strength now, if that. At least they went down swinging hard, unlike the Lakers. Great game, bad result.

Thunder-Grizz, though WOW :hyper What a fucking game!

This reminds me of Bulls - Celtics in 2009. After 4 games, we are tied, with the cumulative score at 440-438. If this doesn't go to 7 games, I will be stunned.

Smooth - why might Howard want to go to LA?

- Orlando is going to suck for years now
- LA has won 16 titles and is committed to getting more. I would be shocked if they didn't build a great team for him.
- He's waaaaay younger than Kobe. By the time he is in his prime, Kobe will not be a problem for him anymore.
- In LA, he could be as big as Shaq, with his kid-friendly, OTT personality. I'm sure he would love to do movies. He'd make a ton of extracurricular cash there
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1913 on: May 10, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
At least they went down swinging hard, unlike the Lakers.

That's not fair.  Bynum went down swinging very hard.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:teehee
[close]

Beezy

« Reply #1914 on: May 10, 2011, 11:11:28 AM »
Fuck it. Now I'm rooting for the Grizzlies to make it to the finals. How can you not love this team.
Seriously. They're the most fun team to watch in these playoffs.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1915 on: May 10, 2011, 08:11:44 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6522694

Bynum finally showing some remorse now, after losing a whopping $700,000 for that hit. Asshole.

(also from the 'Insult to Injury Dept: as J.A. Adande pointed out, no-one much noticed but Barea made the layup anyway :lol)

Interesting subplot - Caron Butler seems to be more-or-less ready to return for the Mavs (he is apparently dunking in practices now) but the team doesn't seem to want him back! Maybe someone finally noticed what a ball-hog he is.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:46:36 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1916 on: May 10, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
Seriously. They're the most fun team to watch in these playoffs.

:bow men of taste

Let's all get on the Team Grizz bandwagon. My only problem with that is that OKC is my 2nd favorite team left in the playoffs. After that game yesterday, how can you not love BOTH? I mean, as Hollinger pointed out, the Memphis crowd gave a standing ovation to both teams after their own squad LOST. That's some serious love.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1917 on: May 10, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »
It was definitely the best basketball I've watched this year.  Stands up to the Celtics-Bulls games a few years back.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1918 on: May 11, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
End of another dynasty possible tonight. Celtics and Heat game starting now.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1919 on: May 11, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »
They are backing off Rondo like 10 feet because he can't shoot.