Author Topic: Steve Jobs has died  (Read 19119 times)

cool breeze

Re: Steve Jobs has died
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »
pixar has been shaky with the past few movies but yeah, pixar has made some amazing movies in the past.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone hate on The Incredibles

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2011, 06:52:47 PM »
I loved the man probably mostly because of NSObject and his use of objective-C  :-[
püp

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
:bow UP :bow2
itm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2011, 07:26:11 PM »
Two grown men in their late 40s today were visibly crying at Jobs' death today at work.

Both of these men are huge teabaggers and one of them is a hardcore birther.

Only Steve Jobs could bring effete hipsters and teabaggers together.

The last unifier :'(
🍆🍆

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
jobs killing measures arent good for the economy
o_0

pilonv1

« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »
over/under 1 week for the hyperbole to die down? I'm saying over :(
itm

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
I can see it dying by Monday.
Unzip

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2011, 10:38:38 PM »
He was behind the original technology and funding for the Pixar project.  He gets credit for the company, deservedly.

But I think you're being sarcastic so idk
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
Pretty sure Jobs could still take a bow for Pixar, come on. Very few people actually 'invent' anything of consequence solo these days so the comparisons with Edison etc are obviously apples/oranges.
vjj

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »
Most any "new, innovative" successful commercial product has decades of academic and industrial research, and previous failed commercialization attempts, behind it. it's one of my pet peeves that most people don't seem to really appreciate this.
QED

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2011, 12:17:52 AM »
Founding pixar @=/= making Up

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »
I don't know guys, is he being sarcastic here? I say it's borderline.
vjj

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2011, 02:08:08 AM »
Same as with Nintendo, what bothers me isnt the company- its the fans. Well...Nintendo still bothers me but whatcha gonna do
o_0

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2011, 02:10:06 AM »
not 24 hours ago cormac was with me

now he is on the side of the apple-polishers  :'(

groo got to him too

I have nuanced views, which are difficult to pigeonhole. This is awesome because it allows me to be a dick to everybody :rock

(Real talk, btw: No-one gave a rat's ass about Jobs before iPod, no-one I consider human anyway)
vjj

Himu

« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2011, 02:15:41 AM »
not 24 hours ago cormac was with me

now he is on the side of the apple-polishers  :'(

groo got to him too

I have nuanced views, which are difficult to pigeonhole. This is awesome because it allows me to be a dick to everybody :rock

(Real talk, btw: No-one gave a rat's ass about Jobs before iPod, no-one I consider human anyway)

what about the imac
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2011, 02:16:43 AM »
This is true. Jobs was a monster/darling in Silicon Valley, but only when the iPod came out did things go mainstream (Your MP3 player? Sorry, what? 128MB? Massive 512MB? TRY 5 GIGS.") for Apple, and then he followed up with iTunes Music Store agreements, reigning in the previously unstoppable hubris of the western record conglomerate.

That's something.

Himu

« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:00 AM »
I dunno, I thought Apple went mainstream again for the first time since I was a kid when they put out the imac. I remember lots of uppity suburbanite mothers and even teachers going on about how cute and convenient it was. That shit was even in Foxtrot.

I saw the ipod as a natural evolution of the imac's level of convenience, except for mp3 players, because it was the first non-shitty looking mp3 player that I remember.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:21:32 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2011, 02:52:36 AM »
iMac certainly helped Apple turn it around but I think 'mainstream' is a bit of an exaggeration. They had a tiny sliver of market share at that point. It was all Windows, all day. It wasn't until the iPod halo effect kicked in that people really started to make the switch, as I remember it (and I blatantly can't be arsed to look any of this up)
vjj

Himu

« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2011, 02:56:37 AM »
That's generally what I mean, it helped turn around Apple's cursed karma. Before iMac, I don't think anyone I knew really took Apple products seriously. We thought mac's were only used for computer classes since it was the only type of computer we had in schools pre-high school, mostly for typing and computer classes. But iMac came, and suddenly people were interested in Apple again.

I'm not saying iMac had as much influence as iPod, but it really sowed the seeds for later success, I think.
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2011, 03:31:16 AM »
it was definitely OS X that started the revival of interest, at least among the techie crowd.
QED

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #200 on: October 07, 2011, 03:35:43 AM »
We thought mac's were only used for computer classes since it was the only type of computer we had in schools pre-high school, mostly for typing and computer classes.
IIRC that was a huge amount of free/discounted computers Apple gave away during Jobs' exile in a desperate hope to establish a future market share with all the kids who grew up on HyperStudio (the future of information technology!) and KidPix. And they hung around for years because of the cost to replace them until Microsoft, Dell and some others started similar programs. (Plus the importance of teaching Microsoft Office became a priority.)

Ironically, that generation became a key part of Apple's base but probably not because of that program.

Himu

« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2011, 03:41:52 AM »
I really liked Apple Macintosh's

Day of the Tentacle :drool
Putt  Putt :drool

I didn't know that, benji. Makes sense. We were raised on mac's in school in a time when most people didn't have computers at home.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2011, 03:54:08 AM »
Apple actually got into supplying education earlier with the Apple II's but I think it was during that morbid Mac era where they really got into it since it wasn't like anyone else wanted them.

I think most anyone from the 80s and 90s enjoyed some fine Mac edutainment gaming with The Oregon Trail and Number/Word/Super Munchers.

And those hott CD-ROMs you had to put in the case before you put it in the drive or you couldn't play Myst!

Himu

« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2011, 03:55:00 AM »
Apple II was actually the first computer I used. They had them in elementary school and we'd play games for education and shit.

:bow Oregon Trail :bow2
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2011, 04:09:51 AM »
Actually, looking back, most of the teachers basically didn't know anything about the computers and it was something they had stuck in their classroom and were told the kids need to learn to use it, so you didn't really do anything educational in a traditional manner with them and were just left alone to play games on them until the typing stuff came along.

It's fun to realize that most of the people who were gathered around the lone Apple II, debating whether we should ford the river and laughing at the tombstones, while everyone else ran around and drew pictures shockingly wound up being the people playing Quake, Unreal Tournament and such in high school. In my case I've got a good number of them on my Steam list today. Sometimes nothing changes. :lol

I remember on the Macs they had this fake desktop thing where you could only access like ten programs and nothing else, but we found out this keystroke that brought up the admin password prompt and the password was the name of the school (for the teachers and staff obviously) and you got full access to the entire computer from it.

Was totally like WarGames.

Himu

« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2011, 04:17:12 AM »
We had an actual computer class at my elementary school. class owned :bow

thanks humble elementary, before you started to suck! :bow
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:19:59 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #206 on: October 07, 2011, 04:22:17 AM »

It's fun to realize that most of the people who were gathered around the lone Apple II, debating whether we should ford the river and laughing at the tombstones, while everyone else ran around and drew pictures shockingly wound up being the people playing Quake, Unreal Tournament and such in high school. In my case I've got a good number of them on my Steam list today. Sometimes nothing changes. :lol

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Back in high school we had system wide servers and people would install Duke 3d, UT, EVERYTHING on there and we'd play in computer classes. Owned my balls so hard. Sometimes we'd put MAME emulator on there and play Street Fighter Alpha 2. :bow
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #207 on: October 07, 2011, 05:04:40 AM »
In my last year we had an A+ cert class (which the teacher described to anyone who took his programming class as "learning how to put computers together and play StarCraft" which of course wound up with 80% people who could do that in their sleep and then the people there to actually learn) that got all these shit Dell computers "donated" by a local company but were like 40 computers for 15 people so of course they got cannibalized. We did terrible things to them.

The game that wound up taking off was Twisted Metal 2 PC because it supported eight players and ran perfectly on them all.  :lol

The teacher thought he was pretty great at gaming until he got between my Thumper and another guys Spectre a few times. And then he played this one kid in StarCraft, guy was insane, this was before we fully knew of Korea obviously.

School gaming was always more fun than regular gaming in the same titles even when the computers sucked more than what you had at home.

Cheebo

« Reply #208 on: October 07, 2011, 02:31:29 PM »
School gaming was amazing. And it is so true it was always more fun at school than at home. At school all of us used to play this Worms like game that but was with tanks and had basic graphics and we were OBSESSED with it. I remember I found a download for it at home online after much searching (early days of having the internet at home for me, probably '97) and was so excited but...it just for some reason was not as much fun playing it at home.

Hell Paint (whatever it was called on 90's era Mac's in school) was endlessly entertaining when in school.
₩‰\

« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
School gaming was amazing. And it is so true it was always more fun at school than at home. At school all of us used to play this Worms like game that but was with tanks and had basic graphics and we were OBSESSED with it. I remember I found a download for it at home online after much searching (early days of having the internet at home for me, probably '97) and was so excited but...it just for some reason was not as much fun playing it at home.

Scorched Earth. What a fun game.
野球

Himu

« Reply #210 on: October 07, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
So it wasn't Gunbound?
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »
:bow Gunbound :bow2
Drunk

Cheebo

« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »

Scorched Earth. What a fun game.
YES THAT WAS IT. I forgot what it was called ages ago.

I loved Gunbound too but I played that at home, I was so addicted to Gunbound for a while.
₩‰\

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »

Also, two lines below the highlighted
AMC

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2011, 12:35:16 AM »
Someone posted a pic of a vigil at an Apple Store on FB and I commented "Wait, this is for the marketer who sold you your phone?"

Whoooboy some people be hatin' on me tonight

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2011, 01:48:02 AM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Man, this thing proves people have NO sense of perspective.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2011, 02:01:25 AM »
I thought they posted the image to make fun of it because it was so completely ridiculous, there were little notes about Jobs on post-it notes, and apples with bites out of them

The desire to avoid drama overcomes my desire for humor, and therefore I held back from posting this on my Facebook

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2011, 04:06:28 AM »
Someone posted a pic of a vigil at an Apple Store on FB and I commented "Wait, this is for the marketer who sold you your phone?"

Whoooboy some people be hatin' on me tonight

I got some hate on twitter for much the same thing. It was a useful reminder to block some fools though.

Thankfully twitter has gone back to 'oh god my iPhone battery sucks' and '3G sucks on Verizon' and 'Why can't i get an iPhone 4S in pink' and such banality. Couldn't have taken much more really. He made better toys and marketed them better than the next guy, he didn't change the fucking world!
vjj

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2011, 11:47:29 PM »
Apple II was actually the first computer I used. They had them in elementary school and we'd play games for education and shit.

:bow Oregon Trail :bow2

Same, but this was in 1995 because I went to a school for poors.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2011, 08:22:13 AM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

pilonv1

« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »
itm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
 :lol
©ZH

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »
I remember on the Macs they had this fake desktop thing where you could only access like ten programs and nothing else, but we found out this keystroke that brought up the admin password prompt and the password was the name of the school (for the teachers and staff obviously) and you got full access to the entire computer from it.

Was totally like WarGames.

Oh man, I remember that thing, it was called Finder.  I eventually found out the password to get into the main system just by looking at other teachers typing it in, but before that I found a more unusual method.  Apparently there was a bug where if you just keymashed at the password prompt, eventually you would be able to get in, I just found out one day when I was bored.  We were all pretty shocked and didn't know what to do, one of my friends suggested that we put the Finder program in the trash bin.  Apparently that was a bad idea since the computer would be down for maintenance indefinitely, although after a few months they just replaced it with a new one that was more powerful, so I guess it kind of worked out in the end.  Looking back, I'm kind of surprised that we never got in trouble for it, guess my friends knew how to keep secrets.

When I did find out the legit password, I used to brag that I found a way to hack through the prompt and would do some absurd key sequences for show while typing in the real password.  I once mentioned it to a teacher who didn't believe me and told me to show her, I did it and she became absolutely mortified and told me to never do that again or I could get in serious trouble.  Haha, the good old days of "hacking".  I also used to go in the school computer lab during my free periods and type random ALT+numpad sequances in Word, I would usually open a normal computer file which showed a bunch of garbage on the screen, and just type in random characters.  The teachers would always looke really worried and ask what I was doing, I just said that I was programming.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:29:05 PM by originalz »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
©ZH

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2011, 02:41:49 PM »
RIP to someone who has had way more influence on modern computing than Jobs, but not nearly the level of recognition:

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/12/dennis-ritchie-1941-2011-computer-scientist-unix-co-creator-c-co-inventor.html
^_^

pilonv1

« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2011, 12:06:25 AM »
GOING TO HELL

I DONT CARE
itm

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2011, 12:28:19 AM »
RIP to someone who has had way more influence on modern computing than Jobs, but not nearly the level of recognition:

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/12/dennis-ritchie-1941-2011-computer-scientist-unix-co-creator-c-co-inventor.html

It's weird to think that C has been around so long that it's creator has died.  A true testament to how awesome it is.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #230 on: October 21, 2011, 03:30:22 AM »
"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong," Jobs said. "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

The great fucking philantropist. How about giving some money to cancer research Steve.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TEC_STEVE_JOBS_BOOK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-20-19-24-52

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:59 AM »
Man, if you ever needed a single, specific example of Gizmodo bottoming out into complete worthlessness, here it is:

http://gizmodo.com/5852729/songs-to-read-the-steve-jobs-biography-by

they've been squirting shit like that across their front page every single day since the dude died
sup

Cheebo

« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2011, 07:51:43 AM »
Anyone reading the book? It's fascinating to see his unfiltered views of his competition. Some pretty intense anger and hatred of everything Google while seeing Microsoft like some old forgotton dying pet that deserves pity and a pat on the head.
₩‰\

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #233 on: October 26, 2011, 07:53:14 AM »
How much did you pay for the book?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #234 on: October 26, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
Can we let this thread die like steve jobs?

:lol @ those quotes if true
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:02:38 AM by Premium Lager »

Brehvolution

« Reply #235 on: October 26, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #236 on: October 26, 2011, 11:34:03 AM »
Not really.

There's another story about, well, this:
Jobs saved money and traveled to India with a college friend searching for philosophical enlightenment and returned home with a shaved head and wearing traditional Indian clothing ready to resume working for Atari creating a circuit board for the game Breakout. Atari made an offer of $100 for each chip reduced in the Atari machine so Jobs knowing little about circuit boards made a deal with the knowledgeable Wozniak to split the money between them. Wozniak amazingly reduced the chip count by 50, which ended up being impossible to reproduce on a production line. Jobs then told Wozniak Atari only gave him $700 rather than the $5000 he got and gave Wozniak $350.

When Woz eventually found out about the money, Woz cried.

Can you imagine how horrible that would look, Woz crying? It's unthinkable.

Oh, and the unmarked silver Benz stuff is true. Not just the plates, but he removed the insignias and other designs. I'd been to 1 Infinite Loop on one of the days he parked it in a handicapped spot.

Cheebo

« Reply #237 on: October 26, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »
Interesting how the book portrays that story. Jobs even while near death told the author the story wasn't true and swore he never did that to Wozniak. Wozniak says he cried when he heard it but Jobs swore to him it wasn't true and Wozniak says to this day he believes Jobs and said Steve would never lie to him. Although the author clearly thinks it happened.

Wozniaks undying loyalty to Jobs long after leaving Apple that he shows in all his interviews in the book was something else. No one in the book idolizes Steve more than Woz.
₩‰\

Himu

IYKYK

Cheebo

« Reply #239 on: October 26, 2011, 01:30:04 PM »
Jobs and his girlfriend he got knocked up but denied he was the father was such a weird hilarious story. She used to come into his house and write messages to Jobs insulting him all over his walls with characoal, ripped up his furniture, and bring and leave stray cats to pee all over his stuff.  :lol
₩‰\