Re: GTA 5
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:20:31 AM »
yay

internet to melt on 11.02.11

cat

archie4208

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:38:26 AM »
Who cares?  It's all about Saints Row 3.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »
me me me
cat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »
And I thought this franchise was dead for good.

Damn.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »
which nintendo platform is this exclusive to again?

WiiU Fantasy

$1 billion Nintendo moneyhat
cat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
*yawn

Saints Row 3 please
fat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »
How many 360 discs?
©ZH

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 09:16:27 AM »
Zzzzz

Let me know if they go back to making the game awesome like san andreas.
Drunk

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »
I bet they backtrack and try to take GTA back to being about fun and not Oscar-quality stories.

i bet they don't, dan houser's too far up his own ass now as a "serious social commentary" writer
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »
Watch them take out the open-world and go full-on linear action game.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »
sounds better than 4
fat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »
CANT FUCKING WAIT
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »
god I am so excited. something to live for again  :-[
USA

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »
SRY

Robo

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
That logo is horrendous.
obo

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
Watch them take out the open-world and go full-on linear action game.

GTA 4 sold 20+ million,slim chance.

cat

Himu

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »
I'm excited.  GTA4 fails a lot as a game but it still does a lot of cool stuff.  The two DLC expansions were also much better than the main game, and if you could use RDR as an example (although it's a different dev), at least Rockstar as a whole have improved since GTA4.

weren't there hints of returning to Vice City in RDR (or LA Noire?) or was it san anderas?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
Who cares?  It's all about Saints Row 3.
:rock

I bet they backtrack and try to take GTA back to being about fun and not Oscar-quality stories.
I can't even describe how much I would like that to happen, but it's not like GTA IV sold LESS copies than the previous generation's entries.

I'd bet it gets about as wild as The Ballad of Gay Tony, which is just slightly more wacky than vanilla Nico's story. Lost and the Damned was more fun than the base game, but writing-wise it wasn't any less dire or serious in tone.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
The two DLC expansions were also much better than the main game

I loved the lost and the damned. That one really stuck with me for some reason. Gay Tony had a nice concept but the controls got in the way.

Obviously I'm in the minority on here as I liked the last installments but they certainly could take some pages from RDR to improve. Especially the controls. Every game in the GTA series I wait for the controls to improve (Especially on foot and combat) and they take baby steps every time. It would be nice to actually have a nice controlling game in the series for once.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
Well my thoughts on the logo is it'll be the 20's or 30s and it'll be set in Carcer City (Chicago).

my hopes is of course a modern day game though because i'm kidna tired on 20s and 30s since Mafia does them so well.
USA

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »
green = grove street?
SRY

Himu

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 11:45:54 AM »
No.

That entire design segues something old. Probably 1910's or something.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »
Anything is possible but I highly doubt they would go that far back in the past unless its like for flashback levels or something. Normal (mainstream) people don't want to drive crappy old cars and listen to old timey music. GTA is know for being modern or at least close to modern. They already have LA Noire or RDR to explore other time frames.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:50:56 AM by Stoney Mason »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »
GTA: Hong Kong or NO SALE
dog

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »
rumors point out to modern setting...Hollywood,Vegas,Mexico...drugs,sex,alcohol
cat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 12:01:09 PM »
they've never done a straight 1970s gta
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »
an sort of related thought, but I wish more open world games would focus on building lost worlds, almost to have museum-ish appeal.  It was cool to drive around in old LA.

hollywood as a setting would be cool.  pretty much anywhere from San Andreas given more detail would be cool.

GTA: Hong Kong or NO SALE

True Crime Hong Kong is still coming.  Canceled by Activision and saved by Square-Enix (although it won't be True Crime by name)

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 12:24:12 PM »
i would love a open world set in revolutionary times. thats what that logo made me think first but I know better  :'(
USA

Himu

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
Anything is possible but I highly doubt they would go that far back in the past unless its like for flashback levels or something. Normal (mainstream) people don't want to drive crappy old cars and listen to old timey music. GTA is know for being modern or at least close to modern. They already have LA Noire or RDR to explore other time frames.

IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
cat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »
Pass.  Anyone who buys this is a sucker confirmed.  In fact, can Demi make a custom tag for anyone dumb enough to admit wanting this?  You can start with Himuro-Chan.

>thinks Saints Row is a good game series  :lol :lol :lol :lol
USA

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
Pass.  Anyone who buys this is a sucker confirmed.  In fact, can Demi make a custom tag for anyone dumb enough to admit wanting this?  You can start with Himuro-Chan.

I volunteer to be the first chosen for this title.

being a sucker :rock
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »

I'd happily pay money for Rockstar to take the world assets of LA SNoire and put them into a game with fun gameplay mechanics.

Himu

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 07:57:52 PM »

I dunno man, even I'm mixed on it. I'm excited to see what they have up their sleeve but at the same time I'm apathetic towards the whole development of it, because I know that Rockstar doesn't really tickle my dickle anymore, RDR aside.
IYKYK

OptimoPeach

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 08:07:33 PM »
Can't wait to fish this turd out of the bargain bin
hi5

Himu

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »
Will you still have to click Left Trigger half way in order to free aim ?!?!?!?!?!?
IYKYK

OptimoPeach

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
they've never done a straight 1970s gta
This would actually be pretty cool.

Mm. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. SR3 is at the top of my HYPE HYPE HYPE list and GTA 4 was my biggest letdown of the generation, so I couldn't care less about this news at the moment.

They really should just surrender to Volition and start doing period pieces only, like wayyyy back. I'd play a medieval GTA!

Will you still have to click Left Trigger half way in order to free aim ?!?!?!?!?!?
Wasn't there an option to disable auto aim entirely? I thought that's what I did but I can't remember now
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:19:59 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Himu

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:04 PM »
Yes, there was. Just ribbing the general idea of it.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »

>thinks Saints Row is a good game series  :lol :lol :lol :lol

And you seriously have to ask why you're less than a leper around here
yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2011, 09:38:04 PM »
Yeah, Expert aim or Free Aim or something like that. You can do it, but the missions aren't tuned for it. You can also play that way Online, it's a setting in the Match Options, but it's also the source of the biggest disagreements in any Lobby, if it's turned off from default.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:16 AM »
Am I being too cynical but the timing of this right around saints row 3 is way too coincidental.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »
Am I being too cynical but the timing of this right around saints row 3 is way too coincidental.

Every announce Rockstar makes is strategically planned by their PR department, so you can be sure it's no co-inky-dinky.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 12:28:22 AM »
I would think they'd want to avoid the bf3/mw3 hoohaa though.
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 02:23:28 AM »
Strengthening long-standing rumors for years that the next Grand Theft Auto would be set in Los Angeles or a fictional version thereof, a source familiar with the game told Kotaku today that those rumors are true. GTA V will be set in some version of L.A., bringing the famous franchise to a place that last got the GTA treatment in the series' top-selling Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. (So much for our other dream GTA V cities.)

We're also hearing from multiple sources that the game will feature more than just one playable character. That would seem to be a natural evolution for the series. Following the release of the PlayStation 2's Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto Vice City, PSP games set in the same cities as those console games let players control a single new character apiece. Those portable games helped establish the idea that there's more than one life worth living in a Rockstar-made GTA city.

hmm,not sure if i like that

it would be hilarious if they went COD route(flashbacks)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:26:20 AM by maxy »
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 04:09:52 AM »
announce for 3DS - gather quotes for ninthings and sony fans - then 1 week later say "Sorry, we meant Vita"

went to gta forums,clicked on some topic and first thing I see is some ninthing defending Nintendo and claiming that GTA5 WiiU will be "the definitive version"

I saw this also,it was posted in August by an Admin and quickly removed after few minutes

interesting
cat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »
204 duh
©ZH

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2011, 12:51:19 PM »
4 page Dan Houser interview

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/10/21/grand-theft-auto-iii-anniversary-dan-houser/

I have a purely technical question: What’s the initial process of putting these games together? Does it start with you and your co-writers drafting out a structure? Is there one single room somewhere where it springs out of from?

The beginning thought is the place, and the time period. Which will really be a conversation between Sam, myself, Leslie Benzies, who’s the producer, and Aaron Garbut, who’s the art director. We’ll start discussing some broad ideas for the protagonist: He’s gonna be a gang kid, he’s gonna be an older guy who just got out of prison, he’s gonna be white, black, Yugoslavian, whatever it might be. Just sort of loose ideas for that.

From there, we’ll begin working on a story outline, a feature set, and some early missions, all at the same time. The story and the missions are the same thing, hopefully, by the time the game comes out. The missions tell the story, and the story shows off the features that the missions unlock. The combination of the cutscene and the action moves the story forward. The next bit of story unlocks the next core mechanic for you to play with. The experience of playing the game is also the same as going through the story. They’re not separate things.

The rest of it — the games are sort of big. There’s so many bits you have to be working on at once. You get the map guys working as soon as humanly possible, because the design guys can’t really do anything till there’s bits of map made to do it in. You have to work everything in parallel. Map-building, interior-building, character-building, writing, game design, animation: You want them all moving as soon as possible.

Grand Theft Auto III and all these games are massive, and you’ve described them as a real team effort. But are there any parts of these games that — for you personally, or you and your brother — feel particularly autobiographical?

I hope not. Hopefully it’s all a product of a wonderful communal imagination. The only one that really springs to mind is a character in Bully that was completely this kid I went to school with. The kid Gary, the nasty little bully, the main antagonist. He was exactly a kid I was at junior school with.

One last question for you: Before games like Grand Theft Auto III came along, it felt like players were fundamentally meant to see every part of the game. There were little Easter Eggs or secret levels, but that’s nothing to compare to the size of these open-world games, where even the most devoted player might not see everything. How granular do you feel like you have to get when you’re putting these worlds together? Where does the world-building stop?

I suppose we make it, then just do a bunch of passes on it, and try to find as many different forms of content that can be put in there sensibly, that will reward the player for exploring, if they’re that kind of person. And we build in to it the overall themes that we’re trying to push in the game — the ludicrousness of advertising, whatever it might be.

It’s something that’s hopefully enjoyable for people. It’s a way to experience amusing, entertaining, thought-provoking, idiotic, whatever-they-might-be little bits of content in a non-linear fashion, spread around this map and across all these ways that people are speaking: on the radio, and then in later games on the TV. It’s something that I think is interesting and potentially very powerful, but is totally unique to a game. We who make games, we’re looking for ways that games can do stuff that you can’t do in a movie, or you can’t do in a TV show, you couldn’t do in a book.

And that non-linearity is really key to that. You can actually be. It’s not just about doing the stuff — which obviously is great, working your way through the story as opposed to watching a story — but also the more passive idea of exploring this world, and just being there. Soaking up the stuff. Having your adventure in this place that doesn’t really exist. I think that’s really powerful and fun. We do as much as we have time for and can think of. We go a little bit crazy on that stuff, and are constantly trying to find new little things that people can discover.

You want it to feel like you’ve not seen everything. Like it feels like you’ll never know a city, really.
cat

OptimoPeach

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
I saw this also,it was posted in August by an Admin and quickly removed after few minutes

(Image removed from quote.)

interesting
I feel like the fat guy from Mallrats right now
hi5

Himu

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
[youtube=560,345]DMPwsUey0U0[/youtube]

:lol :lol :lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 04:53:56 AM »
I'm...I'm getting excited. That GTA fan in me...is starting to tickle my belly. I can't help it. Rockstar's marketing is too good.

"Hey guys, we're announcing GTAV, here's a logo."

And then you just scratch your head wondering what the fuck it all means.

Masters at marketing. :(
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2011, 08:02:30 AM »
It would be hilarious if this was just Anonymous' passive means of launching a DDoS attack on Take2's servers.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »
[youtube=560,345]DMPwsUey0U0[/youtube]

:lol :lol :lol

why did I laugh at this
SRY

Vertigo

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

interesting
I feel like the fat guy from Mallrats right now

11/02 or rather 02/11  is this wednesday the day of the reveal trailer.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
It's going to be another box-cover reveal. No gameplay. No date. Well, maybe a year.

Himu

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
I disagree. Remember IV's reveal. We got a teaser trailer that was a minute and a half long.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
with that awesome song :bow
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2011, 06:36:51 PM »
Crap, was the reveal the Powaqaatsi track one? I had forgotten that!