Author Topic: GTA 5  (Read 54808 times)

Himu

Re: GTA 5
« Reply #240 on: August 20, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

oh my fuck yes. the bicycle of death is back! hop on all on all the cop cars!
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
I used the bike so much in San Andreas. The topped-out Bike skill gave insane "bunny hop" elevation. I used it to escape the cops so many times. Ah, the last good console GTA...

Himu

« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
I really like this games color palette.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
*Borys is flying around in a fighter jet*

Borys: Awesome! R* is back, baby! Woohoo!

*phone call*

HAY BORYS WANT TO GO BOWLING??

Borys: ...okay

Made me quit playing 4.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #244 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
I really like this games color palette.

If it's actually set in Vice City, I am so there.  VC has always been my favorite GTA.  It was right in that sweet spot of "total open sandbox" with just enough story crap thrown in but not intruding on your game, and the setting was gorgeous with a lot of character. 

...hopefully they've learned something from GTAIV about holding you down and forcing the story on you, but I doubt it.
yar

Himu

« Reply #245 on: August 20, 2012, 03:20:50 PM »
The game is set in Los Santos (LA) of San Andreas.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #246 on: August 20, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »
 :-\

I liked San Andreas as well, but mostly because I got to be a black dude.
yar

Himu

« Reply #247 on: August 20, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »
In this one there's rumor there are multiple main characters including a black dude.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #248 on: August 20, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »
I hope CJ makes an appearance. He was pretty cool.

Himu

« Reply #249 on: August 20, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
cj is dead
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #250 on: August 20, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »
how
pcp

Himu

« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »

IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #252 on: August 20, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »
I hope they go back to linking all the stories in this one with the past GTAs. Even if CJ and Tommy are dead i'm sure theres some minor characters still kicking around.
USA

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2012, 09:51:49 PM »
I hope they bring back the country and deserts and lakes and shit! :bow San Andreas :bow2
Drunk

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #254 on: August 20, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »
Does this take place in present day or is it another period piece? Graphics look better than your usual GTA and I'm glad bikes are returning. Hopefully the game doesn't control like shit though.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »
It takes place present day.
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2012, 02:22:13 AM »
cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
GTA 5
« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2012, 02:49:20 AM »
They must be getting close to announcing a ship date.

Himu

« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2012, 03:00:14 AM »
Probably. But not before the traditional big Game Informer reveal. I expect that issue to come out in September or October.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #259 on: August 21, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »
I hope they have a radio station with lots of Crosstown Rebels-style house music on it. (Jamie Jones, Lee Foss, Ryan Crosson, Seth Troxler, Maceo Plex) That stuff has been HUGE in LA the last few years.

Willing to bet that they won't, but they will have a dubstep station.
^_^

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #260 on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »
I'm hoping Rockstar puts together a better PC version this time around. GTA IV on PC definitely looks great but still chugs here and there regardless of setting, and is generally less stable than the console counterparts. I figured V would be coming this year, but if they push it to May/April like the last few Rockstar releases I hope that gives them time to give the PC version proper loving.

How was the PC version of Max Payne 3, again? I remember hearing good things. Well, outside of its 30GB weight.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:10:25 PM by Raban »
SRY

Himu

« Reply #261 on: August 21, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »
V will more than likely have a good pc port. The expansions had better ports than IV and MP3 has a great pc port.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #262 on: August 22, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »
gfx in that second screen  :-X
nat

Himu

« Reply #263 on: August 22, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »

multiple main characters confirmed.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #264 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #265 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
I think I can hear the cellular ringing already. No thanks...
fat

Himu

« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
Chinatown Wars, TLAD, and Gay Tony made that less of an issue to be fair.

Of the recent GTA's IV is the only disappointing one. GTFO.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #267 on: August 22, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
FUCK this looks so good. But seriously people thinking this'll make it out in 2012 are on some strong drugs.
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
I dunno, Christmas season launch seems reasonably attractive to the marketing departments of the world.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »
In this case I'm happy to be wrong, but it just seems unlikely unless we're gonna spend the rest of the year getting our collective anus stuffed with GTAV marketing material.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2012, 11:32:03 PM »
Played some GTAIV tonight.

Still the same homophobic, anti-progressive, slow as molasses controlled, this-game-is-not-fun-to-play game I remember.

Gonna play some Just Cause 2 later tonight to purify myself.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »
Actual quotes during play session:

"Great, I'm finished with the shitty boat chase."

"Fuck. Niko, jump out of the fucking boat.

I SAID JUMP."

*Niko turns around slowly*

"JUMP. YOU ARE NIKO, NOT THE BOAT. STOP CONTROLLING LIKE A BOAT."

*Niko turns around slowly*

"HOLY FUCK FUCK YOU."

So I back the boat up, move it closer to land, and the same thing repeats. Finally, he climbs out of the boat.

Thankfully Red Dead Redemption was a thing, or I would have like, zero faith in V.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:39:17 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Diunx

« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2012, 11:44:32 PM »
Drunk

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #273 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »

cat

Himu

« Reply #274 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
Christ, Maxy. If youre going to post pics do it right.

IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #275 on: August 24, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
I like smaller pictures
cat

Himu

« Reply #276 on: August 24, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »
Multiple protagonists confirmed.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #277 on: August 24, 2012, 09:33:24 AM »
Also? That plane shot? That is the probably the most exciting pic I've seen of this game.

Holy fuck, a RIVER.

I LOVE this games color palette. It is such a refreshing change from GTAIV's crappy colors which make the game feel so utterly lifeless.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #278 on: August 24, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUCK best graphics ever, right there.

Hint: the actual game won't look anywhere near this good.
dog

Himu

« Reply #279 on: August 24, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
What makes you say that? All GTAIV shots looked exactly how the final game looked. :wtf This looks exactly like it did in the trailer. When and where have Rockstar EVER made trailers/screenshots of footage that is not indicative of the final game? I think you found yourself on the wrong planet, Rumbler.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #280 on: August 24, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »
The 360/PS3 can do 18x supersampling and super high-resolution shadows and lightning now? Come on.
dog

Himu

« Reply #281 on: August 24, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
The 360/PS3 can do 18x supersampling and super high-resolution shadows and lightning now? Come on.

Think you found your answer as to what this is running on. :smug
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #282 on: August 24, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
Borys certainly doesn't have a PC capable of that sort of thing, that's for sure.
dog

Diunx

« Reply #283 on: August 24, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »
The king is back :bow2
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #284 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUCK best graphics ever, right there.

Hint: the actual game won't look anywhere near this good.

Maybe it will... on PC... a high-end PC... after the fans have had their modding mitts on it.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #285 on: August 24, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
People didn't believe RDR screenshots too,but yet the game looks exactly the same(on 360).Besides Mr. Big Pictures(aka Himu) did not post 1280 x 720 screens.

Every GTA 4/RDR Rockstar PR screenshot was taken from only one platform--360.Screen bellow was taken earlier,and I bet it's from the same platform as the above screens.

Also some of those screens come from cutscenes.

cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #286 on: August 24, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »
I hope they put Tennis in as a minigame, since Rockstar: Table Tennis was a great game.

Himu

« Reply #287 on: August 24, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #288 on: August 24, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »
I wish this gen ended year or two ago,Rockstar would have no choice but to release GTA 5 for next gen platforms.

GTA 5 will most likely be 2013 game,GTA 6--2016

meh
cat

Himu

« Reply #289 on: August 25, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »
Gonna play some GTA San Andreas. Never successfully replayed it but fuck it, I'm in the mood, yo.
IYKYK

Diunx

« Reply #290 on: August 25, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
Play it on pc love.
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #291 on: August 25, 2012, 09:12:16 PM »
duh, brah
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #292 on: August 26, 2012, 05:42:35 AM »
Yeahhhhhhh, I'm done with GTAIV. Over the years I have put in well over 90 hours into this game. I have given it more than one chance.

But before that I'm going to make a huge nitpick on my biggest issue with GTAIV.

People say GTAIV's story is "realistic", but it's still a cartoony story but with more realistic proportions of body parts, things like fingers that aren't glued to each other. There is nothing realistic about GTAIV's story. Oh hey, these guys just trashed a funeral with three waves of shooters to kill like two guys. That's totally realistic. Oh hey, this guy carrying 500k in his pocket is driving a garbage truck for some Italian asshole. I can go on and on, but more than that, it's mostly the world itself that intrudes on GTAIV being the gritty game that was advertised.

I personally think the rampant homophobia, ridiculous characters, and juvenile attempts at humor like TW@ Internet Cafe, Krapea (haha, it's Ikea but CRAP), or Gruppe Sechs (group sex haha, so funny) stand more in the way of crafting a believable gritty world than Niko desiring to kill people just to make ends meet despite having 500k in his pocket.

GTAIV suffers from an identity crisis. On one hand, it's a game that takes itself very seriously, to a fault, on the other...HAY COUSIN WANNA SEE AMERICAN TITTIES? And having a guy do random shit for people he barely knows like kill their enemies becaussssse...why again? Money? Haha, nice try Niko! I have 500k in my pocket because there's nothing to do or buy in this game! It's cartoony and yet serious at the same time. This creates a huge disconnect.

The Lost and the Damned, GTAIV's add on, is a much better example of GTAIV done right: a rags to even more rags story, telling the tale of the downfall of a biker gang.

I also find Red Dead Redemption to be a great example as well.

But ultimately, even IV isn't a good PORTRAYAL of a serious crime drama. It's like bottom feeder food of crime drama and besides the reasons I listed, so hard to take seriously. I think GTA is at its best when it's overtly cartoony. I was disappointed by IV, and then Chinatown Wars came out. I thought Chinatown was the best damn GTA since Vice City and the cartoony feel added a lot to that emotion. It wasn't ashamed of what it was, it felt natural, and the dialogue and characters fit the setting like a glove. I'm all for serious crime dramas in games, but even TLAD never managed to pull that off. I think that type of story is far above the Houser's writing capabilities. They are best at satire. Satire does not gel with serious drama.

Stop trying to mix both and try to convince people that it's realistic. The only people who would find such a story "realistic" are stupid high schoolers and college kids. So Rockstar, when crafting GTAV, I hope you take it to heart that people are not caricatures and when trying to write an actual gritty story. If you're going to write a gay man, just make a man who happens to like men - no lisp, no flamboyant clothing, no limp wrist; think of Omar from The Wire; if you're going to make me do random jobs for random assholes again this time, keep it to heart that these people should be INTERESTING. Having the main character go up to a random dude he heard from a friend, be told to kill someone despite having a nice, fat wad in his pocket that could be compared to an erection, is not going to sell me on your supposedly "gritty" tale, Rockstar. But more than that, who is this asshole I'm working for? Why should I give a shit? Why is the main character working for him beyond petty motivations like money? STOP IT. It feels like it belongs on the ps2, because it's what I experienced on the ps2.

Instead of really, REALLY badly written and juvenile takes on known brands such as Ikea, how about you make a real brand that people in real life would shop at. Give your art some meaning. It will certainly be a step up from me rolling my eyes at something I would have came up with in 5th grade.

Go out and reach for the stars, fellas and thanks for holding the industry back with your shitty writing.
IYKYK

Diunx

« Reply #293 on: August 26, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »
Drunk

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #294 on: August 26, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
The flaw in your suggestion is that if they could create real brands that people would shop at like Ikea, they would be working as brand consultants in the furniture industry. Those who can, do; those who can't, fictionalize it in a video game. :smug
QED

Himu

« Reply #295 on: August 26, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
You're right.

But at the same time, they've shown before that they are capable of making a brand that isn't juvenile and vulgar for the sake of being so.

So the end result is some petty attempt to be seen as witty, when no one with taste thinks it is no damn thing. Meanwhile, their fanboys make hilarious claims like,"but GTA is satire" like changing Ikea's name to Krapea is some grand sense of satirical piece of our times. It's quite hilarious. Then they'll say something like,"Saints Row is juvenile" while Saints Row is progressive and smart without pushing some agenda in your face.

I think that's something I really liked about Red Dead Redemption. It had none of that stupid shit. It was just a cowboy doing shit and getting things done.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:37:05 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #296 on: August 26, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »
The answer is actually to continue mining the batshit insane vibe they had in GTA3 and Chinatown Wars; it's a feeling which works for the game. The answer isn't to try and be more consistent in the seriousness, it's to embrace the madness.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #297 on: August 26, 2012, 03:42:40 PM »
the answer is to do more period pieces because that's what works.

give us fukkin london
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #298 on: August 26, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »
I almost agree with you, but Rockstar's version of America really sells me on the package.

Himu

« Reply #299 on: August 26, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »
The answer is actually to continue mining the batshit insane vibe they had in GTA3 and Chinatown Wars; it's a feeling which works for the game. The answer isn't to try and be more consistent in the seriousness, it's to embrace the madness.

But we already have other games that have done the madness better. Plus, I like variety. Being serious isn't the problem; it's being serious in a world that isn't serious - hence the disconnect.

But yes, Chinatown Wars :bow

Question: how come GTA is so chock full of doing missions for other people and not doing missions for yourself? You know how in Vice City where Tommy decides to go and demand protection money by busting all the shop windows in the mall? No one told him to do that. He just goes and does it. I wish GTA would have a central cast of characters who decide crap like that, instead of going random assholes you haven't known for five minutes who ask you to whack someone. Seems another torch Saints Row took from GTA; characters who do stuff on their own terms.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:32:52 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK