Author Topic: 10 years of xbox  (Read 2400 times)

cool breeze

10 years of xbox
« on: November 15, 2011, 03:31:08 AM »
 :tauntaun

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: 10 years of xbox
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:35:01 AM »
Fuck I'm old.  :-\
yar

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 03:48:15 AM »
Fuck I'm old.
:-\
cat

Bebpo

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:16:52 AM »
Who here bought an Xbox day 1?

I was a few years late to the Xbox party.  Played Halo 1 on PC.  I think I got an Xbox for Panzer Dragon Orta or Phantom Dust or Dead or Alive 2.  Can't remember.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:25:41 AM »
Not me,I thought it was some MS joke.
xbox---wtf is that

PC ftw
cat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:28:11 AM »

I was a few years late to the Xbox party.  Played Halo 1 on PC.  I think I got an Xbox for Panzer Dragon Orta or Phantom Dust or Dead or Alive 2.  Can't remember.

I got one on day one, along with DOA3 and Halo CE. It was well worth my mom's money. :rock
BiSH

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 04:40:19 AM »
I was a disgusting weeaboo back in the day so I never even knew there was a third console out there.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:52:07 AM »

I won one playing a banner game one month after launch. good times
地平線

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:13:57 AM »
Back when the Xbox came out I worked in a department store. We got ONE in for the launch, in the middle of the actual launch day. :lol
Hi

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 06:20:11 AM »

Can't find my copy of the TOTALLY FUCKING XBOX pic that c0ckles used to post on GAF :(
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 06:22:50 AM »

Bought mine day 1 - Halo, Amped, JRSF and PGR. Rented DOA 3. Best console launch ever
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:28:13 AM by pilonv1 »
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 06:37:52 AM »

cat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:14 AM »
fun my ass.

Xbox is about being HARDCORE

pilonv1

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 06:44:03 AM »
fun my ass.

itm

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:19 AM »
when my friend got his, we made sure he had 4 controllers. i still remember my first time with halo. we went all night.
AMC

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 07:02:36 AM »
Bought one when Ninja Gaiden came out. MS consoles have always been my least favorite consoles of the last two generations so far...

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 07:02:47 AM »
I remember playing Halo for the first time and thinking that its truly next gen compared to what I played on PS2 and GC.

Best graphics, fresh gameplay.

Nothing could compare to it really.

Didn't like any Halo afterwards though.

pilonv1

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »
Xbox controllers were great -

still unbeaten to this day :bow2
itm

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 07:26:52 AM »
They still have that now on the wired ones.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 08:32:40 AM »
Nope, waited til 2005 to buy an Xbox 1, probably the least favorite system I own. Apart from the Sega exclusives, and fighters with online play, it's got few noteworthy games.
^_^

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 08:33:39 AM »
fun my ass.

Sceneman  :bow2
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 09:20:16 AM »
Nope, waited til 2005 to buy an Xbox 1, probably the least favorite system I own. Apart from the Sega exclusives, and fighters with online play, it's got few noteworthy games.

I can see as a JRPG man you feel that way.

For me it was the beginning of online play on consoles, I played loads of Rainbow Six  :gun

My fav console that gen, and this gen.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 09:25:38 AM »
:piss SD gaming :piss2

:bow 360 Hollywood gaming :bow2
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
-Trolled Xbox and MS fans for a year leading up to release :smug
-Got Xbox with Halo for Christmas  :'(
spoiler (click to show/hide)
-Thought Halo was mediocre and way overrated :smug
[close]
dog

Himu

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 09:34:06 AM »
OG Xbox is one of my favorite systems of all time.

:bow
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »
I have a modded box, and a legit box.
fat

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 10:40:37 AM »
regular original xbox

:yuck

modded original xbox

:bow2

Modded original xboxs were 360's before 360's. Media center shit. Installed games. The hard-drive in my modded original xbox is still bigger than the one in my 360.

cool breeze

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
I played Halo at gamestop and was absolutely floored by how good it was.  I was getting a gamecube because 10 years ago I was young and stupid(er), and I didn't have my own money to buy everything.  I basically convinced my friend who was getting a gamecube to get the xbox and halo instead.  Spent more time playing his xbox halo co-op than my gamecube.

later bought my own when there was the JSRF/SegaGT/S-controller bundle.  first game I bought was Shenmue 2  :teehee

I think it was late 2002 or 2003.  I know Halo 2 had already been announced because that's what really sold me on it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:42:47 AM by Linkzg »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
got mine after the first price drop

played halo at a neighbor's house, bought it and halo the next day
sup

Jamie

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
Never bought an Xbox 1. Still looking around for a good deal. If I can find one under 30 euros and it's in good condition I'll jump on this magnificent beast in a heartbeat. If there's an especially good ver lying around for 40 I'll be the happiest man ever!

What's the reliability of these things? No such RROD bullshit right?

Robo

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 11:53:24 AM »
I had an Xbox and a copy of Halo for about a week before my home was burglarized and it was stolen.  :'(

It was alright.
obo

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »
Every time I think about the Xbox 1, I think about roommate, who had no money because he had no job, who got his grandma to cough up her credit card so he could charge up $900 worth of crap at launch. He even bought a carrying case! I was like "dude, you spent your grandma's money on a carrying case?" and he was like "yeah, well what if I need to take it somewhere?" :lol And he would buy the worst crap too: Azurik, NFL Fever 2002, Nightcaster, Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions, we had them all and more.
©@©™

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »

I got my Xbox on day one. Stayed up all night with my housemates playing Halo and Dead or Alive 3.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
Never bought an Xbox 1. Still looking around for a good deal. If I can find one under 30 euros and it's in good condition I'll jump on this magnificent beast in a heartbeat. If there's an especially good ver lying around for 40 I'll be the happiest man ever!

What's the reliability of these things? No such RROD bullshit right?

I've carried, bounced, had sex with my units and they still work fine.
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »
yeah, original xbox is reliable.  I think the only issue are the different dvd drives in units.  I can't remember if it has any problems with games, but on my Xbox I had to use CD-RW+ or w/e to put custom songs on the hard drive.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »
10 years of zzzzzzz
Drunk

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
yeah, original xbox is reliable.  I think the only issue are the different dvd drives in units.  I can't remember if it has any problems with games, but on my Xbox I had to use CD-RW+ or w/e to put custom songs on the hard drive.

My first Xbox had one of the faulty DVD drives. It always froze up on KOTOR and eventually stopped reading discs altogether.
野球

Beezy

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
Didn't play a lot for the OG Xbox, but the Halos, NG:B, JSRF, and PD: Orta made it worth it. I still have Gunvalkyrie which I've never put any time into. And Shenmue II which I've never even put into the system. :lol

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »

My first Xbox had one of the faulty DVD drives. It always froze up on KOTOR and eventually stopped reading discs altogether.

Yeah, my original Xbox had its disk drive break (right when I got SF Anniversary Collection too), luckily it was still under warranty (since I bought it a month ago), so I got a replacement without any hassle. My 360 is the only other console I ever had break on me (RROD, while still covered by warranty).
^_^

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 01:12:30 PM »
my xbox dvd drive started getting some disc errors right before the 360 came out
sup

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
all y'all posers need to step back

I was Xbox Day One ... JAPANESE STYLEE

:pimp colored

Bill Gates signed keychain!

And once the Xbox died, the system had many more years of honorable service as an XBMC box.

Xbox  :american :japancry
乱学者

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 01:35:03 PM »

o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
Just gotta know how to hold The Duke

o_0

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 03:18:53 PM »

Day one for DOA3, Halo, and Project Gotham Racing.  Got bored of PGR pretty fast but had lots of fun with DOA3 and Halo (multiplayer only...never played campaign).

Around two weeks before launch, someone came into the game shop I worked at and sold us a system and some promo games.  We all played around in Halo for a few days and figured no one would buy the system (my boss marked it up to like $100-$200 more than the launch price, lol), but it didn't take much for a customer to see Halo and shell out for the console.

My top fanboy-nutso-insane-moment was when Jet Set Radio Future came out.  The game was released about a week early in Japan first.  I was so hyped that I almost sold off my Xbox and games towards a Japanese Xbox and JSRF.  Common sense prevailed, and I was glad I didn't do this after the Xbox was revealed to be region-locked and Japan had shit support.

I started playing my XBox more than my other systems after mod chips were released.  Playing games right from the HDD was awesome, as were the custom UI themes and all the emulators.  Seeing Street Fighter Alpha 2 running perfectly-emulated sold me on modding my system instantly.  Hours were spent playing CPS1, CPS2, Neo-Geo, and tons of other arcade games.  Since I worked at a game shop, we'd get used copies of new games pretty quick and everyone would copy the games to their systems (four of us there had modded consoles), or we'd split the cost of a new game and install it on our systems.  I think I was the only one still actually buying games at that point, mainly just to be able to play on XBL.

My modded Xbox currently sits boxed-up at my in-laws' house back in Japan.  I had it shipped over and the mod chip was knocked loose.  Never did get it fixed and the 360 came out shortly after I received it anyway.
ど助平

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »
my roommate and i bought one the month they came out.  we grabbed halo and doa 3.  hell of a lot of fun.
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »
i like the duke controller because i don't have babby hands
sup

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »
I still have a Duke. Whenever we break out the OG Xbox for some 4-player Halo 2, my buddies and I draw straws to see who gets stuck with it.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »
You seriously never played the Halo 1 campaign Lyte? Wow.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That looks like Washington weather. No fun is being had, at least in the streets. :drizzle-fo-shizzle

I never did get with the OG xbox. I was working at a for-serious PlayStation developer at the time, and the programming staff came back from an MS seminar on the "codename: x-box" project, which I thought was a pretty mysterious name at the time. They were nonplussed; it appeared to be more like a PC than a console, almost entirely using off-the-shelf parts, according to them. They were not hopeful that MS could generate a game console. I remembered that the same thing had been said of Sony, in the past.

Now I wish I'd had one of the modified ones. They're still cheap to come by, but there's almost no point with the stuff my 360 is doing for home media center.

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That looks like Washington weather. No fun is being had, at least in the streets. :drizzle-fo-shizzle

Well, that is the East side. No fun is had over there... ever.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
East side rocks if you're a shut in- which I am
o_0

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »
Black Raven Brewery is one of the few reasons why the Eastside is safe from getting nuked.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
lol
o_0

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 09:44:03 PM »
Black Raven Brewery is one of the few reasons why the Eastside is safe from getting nuked.

When I get up there, eventually, let's include that on the tour, m'kay?

pilonv1

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »

Still one of the best demo's I ever played
itm

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 02:25:29 AM »
I saw those banners this morning and stopped to examine the dots around the "OF". They're made out to look like Xbox controller Back and Start buttons, clever clever.

btw, it's kinda funny how long controllers kept the "select button" despite the fact that it never, even on the NES, made any sense. Was MS the first to come up with a halfway sensible purpose for it?

Also, could someone explain why anyone would make a controller with the same face button configuration and the same button names as the SNES controller, but put the buttons in the wrong places?
QED

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 04:20:52 AM »
I am the Duke, I am A number 1

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 04:46:05 AM »

I bought this thing for Colin McRae 2005.  Previously I thought the Xbox was just full of boring FPSs but it didn't take long to realise how wrong I was.

Jamie

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »
Excuse the bump, but I just got ahold of a quality second hand Xbox :D So far this thing looks very impressing and I haven't even started it up yet!

Immediately opened it up to check out the insides (have v1.6a). I'll start modding it in a minute but for some reason I see this white chewing gum-like gunk sitting on the mobo. Is this normal?

pilonv1

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »
p. sure that's normal.
itm