Author Topic: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|  (Read 1266440 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|
« Reply #10680 on: April 26, 2021, 09:46:22 AM »
I'm only through two episodes of Shadows House, but it's got me hooked so far. Lots of interesting ideas here
dog

dkdk

Re: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT| Watchmojo.com's Top 10 Anime Movies
« Reply #10681 on: April 26, 2021, 09:28:46 PM »
I really don't remember Yu Yu Hakusho at all. Only 27 episodes in and they're already on a ship (::)) on their way to The Dark Tournament. The pacing is insane and everything in Yusuke's normal life is an afterthought. :lol

It's funny you say "already"
When I rewatched it with a friend recently it took twice as long as I remembered to hit the ship. I completely forgot about the Rando arc and that Yusuke is dead for like 5 episodes
 :lol

« Reply #10682 on: April 27, 2021, 08:06:52 PM »
Also _highly_ recommend odd taxi this season.  It's bonkers good in an atypical way.

Beezy

« Reply #10683 on: April 29, 2021, 11:59:41 AM »

Out today. Lakeith Stanfield's voice acting sounds mediocre. I'll watch it with the japanese VA.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10684 on: April 29, 2021, 12:15:08 PM »
Also _highly_ recommend odd taxi this season.  It's bonkers good in an atypical way.

Best show this season, easily.

Like the opening, too!

ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #10685 on: April 29, 2021, 06:35:25 PM »

S3 was weak, but this looks like it'll be a great series finale.

Beezy

« Reply #10686 on: May 02, 2021, 03:18:21 PM »
Yusuke vs. Genkai's Spirit Orb :lol

Beezy

« Reply #10687 on: May 04, 2021, 07:04:06 PM »
Frieza as Genkai is perfect too :lawd
Can't say the same about the young Genkai moments. :lol

Btw, the 2nd ending theme. :lawd

I don't think I watched all of the Dark Tournament as a kid. I hardly remember anything outside of Yusuke and Toguro's fight. Up to ep 55 now which is the start of Team Urameshi vs. Team Toguro.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10689 on: May 05, 2021, 10:34:24 AM »
That's amazing, I hadn't heard about that yet. Last I heard, they were still using Domesday on the best-available elements.
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #10690 on: May 06, 2021, 09:31:09 PM »

Beezy

« Reply #10691 on: May 06, 2021, 09:38:09 PM »
Yeah the pacing really grabs you. Even if you're not feeling a particular arc you never have to wait too long. And I love how everything kinda builds on eachother naturally (character relationships, worldbuilding, plot developments, etc.), it always feels like there's real consequences because we get to see various permanent status quo changes. HxH takes that to another level actually lol (with pacing sometimes suffering in comparison.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
One minor detriment: the fan in me loves that Genkai gets brought back but the storyteller is a bit disappointed -- her death was *so* well done. And IIRC she had served pretty much her whole purpose by then too, and doesn't do much after she comes back.
[close]

I still need to watch the Blu-ray special from a few years back!
I finished the Dark Tournament yesterday and I agree with your spoiler, but I also understand that this was long before killing off a main character was acceptable.

Beezy

« Reply #10692 on: May 08, 2021, 06:11:54 AM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10693 on: May 27, 2021, 11:29:19 AM »
Megalo Box' second season is hitting all the right spots. Dealing with somewhat more mature subject matter.

Music still hitting the spot as well.

« Reply #10694 on: May 27, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »
Dang it so this thread is anime, whoops I won’t bump the other one then  :-[

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10696 on: May 28, 2021, 10:44:13 PM »
Also Gundam Seed movie happening.

I’m excited even though I can see it now:

Newly created villains with really no time to develop them.

New villains cause chaos that brings the Earth and Zaft to war.

An hour of checking in on the whole cast.

Kira and Athurn team up and defeat the villain while telling them their cynicism is wrong.

The plot will probably be boring, but I’m excited.

But is there ever going to be a new Gundam AU show?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10697 on: June 09, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
Finished rewatching the first season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for the first time since the DVDs came out. Still a fantastic show, but it's a shame the Blu-Rays are a bit jank (the only subtitles are English Closed Captions, wtf?) Oh well, it was only $15 at Wally-World.

Also, RIP Origa. I probably knew about it at the time, but I'd forgotten that she died of cancer in 2015.

©@©™

« Reply #10698 on: June 11, 2021, 11:27:16 AM »
Hathaway's Flash on Netflix? Fuck yeah.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10699 on: June 11, 2021, 02:12:30 PM »

Had no idea what you were talking about here.   :lol  Gundam movie, got it!
ど助平

« Reply #10700 on: June 11, 2021, 04:46:58 PM »

Had no idea what you were talking about here.   :lol  Gundam movie, got it!

Big flashy theatrical Gundam movie! Glad to see Netflix get it snapped up quickly, and also that Sunrise is much more realistic about their goals with the property in the west.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #10701 on: June 17, 2021, 03:24:03 AM »
I heard Hathaway's Flash is ripped w/subs on the internet if you don't want to wait until July 1st for Netflix. I'm lazy and don't care so I'll wait for Netflix.

More surprisingly I hear the movie is actually very good and the best quality Gundam since IBO. Which uhh, I did not expect since I skimmed the novel back in the day and it was pretty whatever outside some cool mechs. Apparently this diverges a lot from the novel and does its own thing and does it well.

Looking forward to it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10702 on: June 17, 2021, 03:30:27 AM »
Well, it's by the people behind Thunderbolt.

Which to me is one of the few UC Gundams to actually capture the "mature" feeling fans claim the UC is about.

Bebpo

« Reply #10703 on: June 17, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »
Welllll, I still haven't seen Thunderbolt S2 since I heard it was not so good.

And I just found out that Hathaway is 3 movies and this is just the 1st one? Hype kinda deflated cause they could still fuck up the rest.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #10704 on: June 19, 2021, 02:04:35 PM »

« Reply #10705 on: June 19, 2021, 03:31:51 PM »
Vivy ended.   It holds up through the end.   Watch it~

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10706 on: June 19, 2021, 06:25:31 PM »
Welllll, I still haven't seen Thunderbolt S2 since I heard it was not so good.

And I just found out that Hathaway is 3 movies and this is just the 1st one? Hype kinda deflated cause they could still fuck up the rest.
Well I was wrong about that. Don't know where I got it that Thunderbolt staff was involved.

Still, I just watched it and I actually thought it was pretty solid. And this is coming from someone who doesn't consider themselves a traditional Gundam fan. I like Gundam a lot actually, but find most western fans takes on it to be pretty bad. I don't think UC gundam is the end all be all and in fact, I find a lot of it bad. Zeta is poorly paced and filled with non-human characters. I like the AU series because they can have unique spins on Gundam.

That said, I thought this movie was very good.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10707 on: June 19, 2021, 07:10:47 PM »

I'm a few episodes behind on it, but it's been really good. Definitely a surprise of this season.
dog

« Reply #10708 on: June 20, 2021, 04:45:05 PM »

I'm a few episodes behind on it, but it's been really good. Definitely a surprise of this season.

A satisfying conclusion.  I'll definitely be looking for shared creative staff showing up on other projects.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10709 on: June 20, 2021, 07:59:41 PM »

A satisfying conclusion.  I'll definitely be looking for shared creative staff showing up on other projects.

Wit Studio's been doing really great work. Attack on Titan, The Rolling Girls, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Vinland Saga, Great Pretenders...all above average or better series.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10710 on: June 20, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »

Wit Studio's been doing really great work. Attack on Titan, The Rolling Girls, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Vinland Saga, Great Pretenders...all above average or better series.

Everyday on the way to  the station, I walked past their offices when I lived in Mitaka for 6 months, in 2019. They smoke a WHOLE BUNCH.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10711 on: June 21, 2021, 04:45:23 PM »
Animation quality directly correlates with packs of cigarettes smoked. It is known.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10712 on: June 27, 2021, 08:42:55 PM »

Mappa da GOAT does it again! :rejoice:
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10713 on: June 27, 2021, 08:49:17 PM »
That looks really good.

I've read a little bit of the manga. It has a trippy indie vibe to it.

Wish it came out when I was a teen.

Bebpo

« Reply #10714 on: July 03, 2021, 02:49:20 AM »
So all the Gundam: Hathaway's Flash praise was pretty bullshit.

Back in the day I read the summary of the novels and boy were they fucking stupid and edgy in a Mark Millar Gundam way. And yep, while the directing/animation/art is pretty good here, the story & script are just dumb as shit. There is no way to make this story any good. Also crazy nonsense talking gundam girl is pretty annoying archetype in 2021.

Bebpo

« Reply #10715 on: July 03, 2021, 03:14:05 AM »
Also, my recollection of Hathaway's Flash every time it was in a videogame was just people yelling MAFTY! every couple mins.

Movie is pretty much the same.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10716 on: July 03, 2021, 03:27:24 AM »
I didn't really find it edgy. While the female character is bad in a Tomino way, I guess I wasn't annoyed because she clearly is serving a function.

I don't know, I liked Hathaway as kind of naive protagonist whose clearly not that great at this whole thing. That's what was compelling to me.

Bebpo

« Reply #10717 on: July 03, 2021, 03:37:03 AM »
It's edgy in a 1989 Tomino kill-them-all depression where he thinks a great concept for a sequel to CCA is what if Bright Noa's kid became a terrorist leader because he's so fucked in the head from living through the various OG wars (including Quess damage from CCA).

Which is just a stupid af story concept. I mean CCA was already pretty trash outside the fights/animation, especially the Quess stuff.

He's not even a smart terrorist like Char. He's like "durrr, I'm gonna kill the federation heads and then humanity will all agree with me to go to space!", it's just a really dumb plot idea overall.

It also doesn't go anywhere from what I remember and the ending is fucking stupid.

And the Xi Gundam and Penelope Gundam are both pretty terrible ugly Gundam designs. 

I feel like there's a reason they sat on these novels for 20+ years before deciding to adapt them. They're just bad. Even for Gundam bad.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10718 on: July 03, 2021, 04:33:50 AM »
I'm not seeing that.

I don't think that is edgy in itself. My takeaway is that Hathaway is clearly a kid that has grown up with legends and these ideas his whole life. He's a product of the UC and has been living with the concept of Newtypes and whatnot much more than the average person. People like Armuro and Char are real to him, even though yes in CCA he didn't spend that much time with them. But it's clear to me he is very close to the myths of those characters. I mean wasn't it Armuro who "spoke" to him before he takes charge of the Gundam. He's a guy who kind of seems like he doesn't know what he's doing.

This story seems to be the aftermath of CCA and as someone who was directly involved, it makes sense that a story would focus on how that entire era has left the next generation. So I don't think it's a stupid concept.

I also don't think he's supposed to be a smart terrorist. You have the scene on Earth where the cab driver is telling him this whole conflict is pretty dumb and pointless. You have Kenneth comparing Mafty to Char and how naive and arrogant it is. And Kenneth isn't 100% framed as a villain either. You also have Hathaway make dumb choices because not only can he not read people, he also seems unsure about being Mafty. He also still has feelings about Quess, which sure an annoying character, but still understandably left a mark. Gigi may also be annoying, but she's supposed to remind him of Quess. She also underlines his insecurity when compared to Kenneth.

I feel like the Penelope pilot is another mirror, especially in dialogue where Kenneth says "this could have been you" basically. Like yeah, Hathaway you could have been an ace Federation pilot, but you're becoming an idiot.

I don't know where it will go. I read the summaries from a blog that claimed the "famous dark ending" isn't exactly what it's always said to be online. It still sounds a bit overdramatic, but I liked the movie because it seems to be smaller scale, but also focused on a character that I feel is interesting because of how flawed they are. I'm not a big UC head and I am someone who enjoys themes and can gloss over plot. I liked the direction in this and felt like it had a more realistic direction than other UC shows. I don't know, I enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 04:41:10 AM by Rahxephon91 »

« Reply #10719 on: July 04, 2021, 07:14:16 PM »
Just finished Odd Taxi, probably one of the best anime shows I've seen in years. Ending the series with that ending scene though...  :existential

« Reply #10720 on: July 08, 2021, 02:55:21 PM »
I loved the first Hathaway's Flash film and kinda thought your complaints about Hathaway and Mafty in general are essential to the plot. He's trying to be Amuro but also idealistic like Char and it's highly problematic (he looks like Amuro, dresses like him on the outside layer but then he has the deep red vest underneath), along with his trauma suffered during the events of CCA. He's also a product of privilege and being allowed to chase his ideals regardless of whether the regular person even cares (ie. the conversation with the taxi driver).

edit: Cool to see AVClub talking about the film with similar thoughts:
https://www.avclub.com/mobile-suit-gundam-hathaway-reckons-with-the-privilege-1847228242
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:26:54 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #10721 on: July 10, 2021, 10:36:21 AM »
I loved the first Hathaway's Flash film and kinda thought your complaints about Hathaway and Mafty in general are essential to the plot. He's trying to be Amuro but also idealistic like Char and it's highly problematic (he looks like Amuro, dresses like him on the outside layer but then he has the deep red vest underneath), along with his trauma suffered during the events of CCA. He's also a product of privilege and being allowed to chase his ideals regardless of whether the regular person even cares (ie. the conversation with the taxi driver).

https://www.avclub.com/mobile-suit-gundam-hathaway-reckons-with-the-privilege-1847228242

I basically agree with this takeaway, but couldn't sum it up so succinctly.  Like it's pretty clear he's struggling with his ideals, and the actual wants and needs of the _engine_ he's set in motion.  It's also clear there are bad actors co opting his movement, further muddying the waters of public perception.  I'll have to check out this av club article soon, thanks for the link.

Edit:
I think the article unravels a little at the end, but it's mostly on the mark
The bit about burning bridges etc isn't actually what's going on, from what I could tell, he resolves to follow through with his plans, but it's clearly stated that the only reason he was where he was is because of another weird ideal he holds which is
spoiler (click to show/hide)
wanting to see / meet / interact with the politicians he's out to kill because he doesn't want his victims to be faceless to him.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:48:52 AM by pancakesandsex »

« Reply #10722 on: July 13, 2021, 12:48:25 PM »

I basically agree with this takeaway, but couldn't sum it up so succinctly.  Like it's pretty clear he's struggling with his ideals, and the actual wants and needs of the _engine_ he's set in motion.  It's also clear there are bad actors co opting his movement, further muddying the waters of public perception.  I'll have to check out this av club article soon, thanks for the link.

Hathaway's comment about Anaheim playing both sides shows the military industrial complex in full force doing what it does best. The Earth government may be shit, but the people making Gundams aren't any better.
野球

« Reply #10723 on: July 13, 2021, 10:56:18 PM »

Hathaway's comment about Anaheim playing both sides shows the military industrial complex in full force doing what it does best. The Earth government may be shit, but the people making Gundams aren't any better.

That's reinforcement / re-iteration of established commentary on that from other iterations of gundam as well, not just like, a one off comment.  Good stuff.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #10725 on: July 20, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »
Whats a anime that is good and is about dragons (not killing them preferably?)

Or also a cute anime about cats

What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10726 on: July 20, 2021, 07:32:03 PM »

dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10727 on: July 20, 2021, 07:39:33 PM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10728 on: July 20, 2021, 09:40:55 PM »
Dragon Pilot on Netflix has draggos.
©@©™

« Reply #10729 on: July 20, 2021, 11:03:22 PM »

Or also a cute anime about cats

Miss koboyashis dragonmaid

Chii’s sweet home
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:56:11 PM by pancakesandsex »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #10730 on: July 21, 2021, 05:35:06 AM »

Why is he walking on two legs tho wtf...
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #10731 on: August 04, 2021, 06:19:17 PM »

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 02:10:39 PM by D3RANG3D »

Beezy

« Reply #10732 on: August 23, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #10733 on: August 23, 2021, 11:04:15 AM »
Need to see it in motion.

Netflix is 0-1 on these live-action adaptations for me (Death Note.)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10734 on: August 23, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »
Faye looks like a visiting character from NCIS: Ganymede
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10735 on: August 23, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
Hopefully they get a trailer out pretty soon.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10736 on: September 19, 2021, 09:05:28 PM »
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #10737 on: September 23, 2021, 10:08:29 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #10738 on: September 29, 2021, 01:17:33 PM »

:rejoice

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10739 on: September 29, 2021, 01:37:00 PM »
Wow, it's been a minute since the first season.
©@©™