Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1190793 times)

Tasty

Re: Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #1320 on: September 11, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »
Oscar, I'm curious, how much did Xenoblade end up selling in the end? Considering it was on a basically dead system, months after its release in every other territory, at a single retail outlet, I'm not exactly expecting... well, anything. Just want to know. Did it even chart at all?

Tasty

« Reply #1321 on: September 11, 2012, 01:11:44 AM »
My source never leaked a number.  Maybe because it was Gamestop exclusive, I dunno.  I expect it probably did about the same as Last Story, though.  Can't see any reason why it would have done differently.

Well, OpRainfall and people in general seemed more hyped for it than TLS. I know I was, and I wasn't the only one. I mean, normally the argument that what internet denizens do is irrelevant, but considering the game was released just for them, it seems like it might have affected things this one time.

Was TLS GameStop exclusive too?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1322 on: September 11, 2012, 01:25:23 AM »

You can get new copies of TLS on Amazon, so no.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1323 on: September 11, 2012, 01:33:25 AM »

You can get new copies of TLS on Amazon, so no.

Seems like that would be the deciding factor in it selling more. Ah, a shame.

Tasty

« Reply #1324 on: September 11, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »
Well, next time you see your source, pump some Xenoblade from him for me.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #1325 on: September 11, 2012, 08:01:34 AM »
Its probably like Europe, no numbers indicates monstrous sales. Sony should have made Vita GS exclusive.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1326 on: September 11, 2012, 08:08:22 AM »
Its probably like Europe, no numbers indicates monstrous sales. Sony should have made Vita GS exclusive.

Or Walmart exclusive.  Let's dust off the old Walscuse
🍆🍆

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1327 on: September 11, 2012, 08:58:01 AM »
Supply contrained obviously
itm

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1328 on: September 11, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »
:lol
sup

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1329 on: September 11, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
but guys if nintendo pushed too high the budgets would've been insane and the entire video game industry would be dead nintendo is saving the industry by giving studios an affordable option

Honestly, this is a valid point, but it's the escalator to nowhere the industry's been on for a very long time.  The industry created a model where the audience expects the envelope to be pushed every five years or so, but gave no thought to where that would eventually lead with regards to budget vs demand.  And now here we are.

It's like how people are like "wait, SEGA's saying they might not be able to do another Project Diva game on Vita because the sales weren't enough?  But it sold as well as the PSP ones!"  Well yes, but with the Vita, we've officially hit the point that consoles hit in the last transition - the budgets are getting stupid high and the audience isn't growing one iota.

So where does this put the future of gaming? Will the envelope still be pushed by some?

« Reply #1330 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:06 PM »
Hi-tech can improve just about any game without really increasing the budget substantially - it's really the culture that goes along with it that's toxic.  Tech is just heavily associated with realistic graphics, because that's an unambiguous way of telling if tech has improved so idiot gamers have sort of been trained to think realism is just better and anyone who says otherwise is an indiefag or mentally a child.  And there are big costs that come along with that stuff - in terms of budgets, sure, but because everybody wants to save money no how matter how loaded they are you get little cornercuts: Entire games taking place in corridors, entire sections that are glorified qtes, a thousand shades of grey etc. etc. Plus they've got to appeal to as many people as possible to spread that net wide as well as stop people trading games in, so you get mandatory multiplayer, skinner box shit, generally pretty dumbed-down gameplay etc.
I think if people want graphics that blow you away in games that aren't completely shit, some seriously impressive procedural generation techniques are gonna be necessary.  Like Just Cause times a million.  If the new Unreal Engine doesn't come with that kind of stuff in it they are killing themselves.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:46:11 PM by Owl-faced Wizard »
ǚ

Tasty

« Reply #1331 on: September 11, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
I'd be OK with 10-year long generations. Heck it's already started to slow down.

« Reply #1332 on: September 11, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »
Console manufacturers won't be ok with that.  It's slowing down because of past mistakes and Sony and MS are playing really slow chicken to get the other guy to go first.  I think everybody really wants to go back to the 5 year cycle.  When everything is streaming and systems are a service that will be easy to do because you won't necessarily need that much hardware on the user end.  But that's a while off.
ǚ

Tasty

« Reply #1333 on: September 11, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
If we got to the point where cloud streaming was the norm (which I think is 10 years off, at least), then I doubt we'd have generations at all. We wouldn't really need to. Maybe it is the final culmination of the console model.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1334 on: September 11, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »
For core gamers high tech and bigger and faster is always going to be better but I think increasingly as we go forward that stuff is going to mean even less than it already currently does to the more casual mainstream consumers. I already think next gen is gonna struggle a bit at least early on if the only advertisement features are better textures and higher frame rate. I think we are reaching the point where incremental improvements in graphics don't impress the way they use to.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1335 on: September 11, 2012, 11:27:50 PM »
I think the culmination of the console model of gaming is going to be a modular convergence of devices like tablets and phones with docks that connect to your TV. Tablets and phones have just about peaked in what they can do, and it's all because the guts of these devices are already lapping current battery tech. Can't push it much further unless you can live with 15 minute battery life, so until new types of portable power come to the forefront these devices are on a plateau. But with a Thunderbolt connected dock, that wouldn't matter, you'd just come home and pop in your phone or tablet and the heavier lifting could be done with A/C power and an external graphics processor. So you'd take your phone or tablet with you and play games or use apps more suited to portability, and when you come home you dock it and make use of the extra power to play your Hollywood games or what have you. It's an ideal situation for hardware manufacturers and game publishers, really. They get you coming and going.
sup

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1336 on: September 11, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
They get you coming and going.

This is the thing that EA wants, 24/7 access to your wallet. You're no longer a valued customer, you're a revenue stream and nothing else.
itm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1337 on: September 12, 2012, 12:02:06 AM »
I think there will be a convergence a couple of generations from now.  You'd just take your tablet and load it on a dock that has some ports, like a couple USB ports (where controllers could be used, keyboards, etc.) and an HDMI port.  I think eventually the console manufacturing game won't be worth the diminishing returns so Microsoft will drop the Xbox and focus on their Surface line (whatever that turns in to), Nintendo will stick with handheld consoles, and Sony probably won't even exist in 10 years or at least not be in the game hardware biz once they get purchased by Gree.

Probably won't be for another 10-15 years but I could definitely see it play out that way.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:06:11 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1338 on: September 12, 2012, 12:12:44 AM »
Sony:

sup

FoneBone

« Reply #1339 on: September 12, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »
I think there will be a convergence a couple of generations from now.  You'd just take your tablet and load it on a dock that has some ports, like a couple USB ports (where controllers could be used, keyboards, etc.) and an HDMI port.  I think eventually the console manufacturing game won't be worth the diminishing returns so Microsoft will drop the Xbox and focus on their Surface line (whatever that turns in to), Nintendo will stick with handheld consoles, and Sony probably won't even exist in 10 years or at least not be in the game hardware biz once they get purchased by Gree.

Probably won't be for another 10-15 years but I could definitely see it play out that way.
I don't really understand how anyone can look at the upheaval in the industry and believe that there will even be "a couple more generations" as we know them, let alone that those changes will take as long to play out as you're making them out to.

Tasty

« Reply #1340 on: September 14, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
3DS LL > Vita YTD

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #1341 on: September 14, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
Time to make the cake and party!
dur

Takao

« Reply #1342 on: September 14, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »
Garbage can man, is it possible for you to tell me what Namco Bandai's best selling game in North America is this year, and how many copies it has sold? I remember reading a report on their fiscal results and it was insane how Japan dominant their earnings were. It's kind of scary since outside of maybe their fighting games they don't need the west to make a load of money anymore.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1343 on: October 04, 2012, 12:57:23 AM »
no one will ever beat sega.

Tasty

« Reply #1344 on: October 04, 2012, 01:16:22 AM »
fucking sony beating sega again :(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
the vita has now officially fallen behind the dreamcast's pace
[close]

Wait, you're saying Sony beat the Dreamcast at failing... and that's a bad thing for Sega? :lol

« Reply #1345 on: October 04, 2012, 01:20:49 AM »
You know, with Dreamcast catching up with Vita ... I'm starting to think Sega can turn this thing around!
ǚ

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1346 on: October 04, 2012, 01:27:39 AM »
Stop this Oscar.

We still have fantastic arcade exclusives

Tasty

« Reply #1347 on: October 04, 2012, 01:29:08 AM »

[close]

Wait, you're saying Sony beat the Dreamcast at failing... and that's a bad thing for Sega? :lol

being the best at failing is all we had left  :'(

Well Sega let Platinum fly the coop, that's about on par with Capcom's possibly biggest mistake outside killing Megaman.

And hey, it's doing better than the Saturn! (I assume.)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1348 on: October 04, 2012, 01:34:40 AM »
Well Sega let Platinum fly the coop, that's about on par with Capcom's possibly biggest mistake outside killing Megaman.
As much shit as people are going to give SEGA for backing the fuck away from Plat or Capcom from Megaman, I cant imagine it being a mistake at all for them. Putting money into niche retail franchises isnt going to keep SEGA ticking over, their current strategy of cleverly budgeted DD games + retail and localized guaranteed money makers is probably the best business model in the industry.

« Reply #1349 on: October 04, 2012, 01:35:45 AM »
Yeah, Saturn did good in Japan.  I think it outsold the N64 there.
ǚ

Tasty

« Reply #1350 on: October 04, 2012, 01:44:00 AM »
no, it's got a looooooong way to go to catch the saturn.

Yeah, Saturn did good in Japan.  I think it outsold the N64 there.

Yep, albeit only by a few hundred thousand units.  Also outsold the Gamecube in Japan by about two million units.

:o Well damn, yeah. Sega fails at failing.

Huff

Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #1351 on: October 04, 2012, 06:48:48 AM »

[close]

being the best at failing is all we had left  :'(

And hey, it's doing better than the Saturn! (I assume.)

Platinum had one decent selling game and the rest Bomba'd really hard right?
dur

archnemesis

« Reply #1352 on: October 04, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »
Only in the west. Infinite Space, Bayonetta and Vanquish sold alright in Japan.

Huff

« Reply #1353 on: October 04, 2012, 07:49:38 AM »
But in the end the sales of Platinum games were possibly so bad that weren't even going to release a game in the west. Yeah I'm not sure why sega would dump them. It's not like sega is doing bad or anything
dur

archnemesis

« Reply #1354 on: October 04, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »
Sure, it makes perfect sense for Sega to focus on the few franchises that are profitable.

Beezy

« Reply #1355 on: October 04, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »
- Madworld sold more in NA than both versions of Vanquish put together.  Heck, throw in Infinite Space's NA sales, too.  Still lower than Madworld.
:fbm

G The Resurrected

« Reply #1356 on: October 04, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »
I'm so happy that platinum games is working on Metal Gear Rising. They have the chops to make that type of game and its almost like a pseudo sequel to Vanquish which is my favorite game from them.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1357 on: October 10, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
01./00. [PS3] Resident Evil 6 <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.10.04} (¥7.990) - 634.933 / NEW
02./00. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.10.04} (¥7.980) - 223.884 / NEW
03./00. [PSP] Summon Night 3 <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.10.04} (¥3.990) - 51.453 / NEW
04./00. [PSP] Sol Trigger <RPG> (Image Epoch) {2012.10.04} (¥6.279) - 42.037 / NEW
05./00. [360] Resident Evil 6 <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.10.04} (¥7.990) - 41.652 / NEW

PS3   42,218
3DSLL   39,046
3DS   24,623
PSP   17,769
Vita   7,957
Xbox 360   4,894
Wii   4,849
PS2   894
DSi LL   344
DSi   330
cat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1358 on: October 10, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »
The Vita is like the Fredo of the Playstation Family.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1359 on: October 10, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »
Weird the LL is selling more than the normal version.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1360 on: October 10, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »
Weird the LL is selling more than the normal version.

Why is that weird?
©@©™

« Reply #1361 on: October 10, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »
Stereotypically, Japanese people like small things.  And they have tiny hands like stillborn babies.
ǚ

« Reply #1362 on: October 10, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
RE6 thumped RE5 in sales. Too bad RE6 is a piece of shit in comparison. :lol
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1363 on: October 10, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »
Yeah, my daughter loves her LL; mostly watches Ugokimemochou vidz on it, so I guess the screen size is a plus.

Tasty

« Reply #1364 on: October 11, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »
Oscar, did MH3 outsell Bayonetta in the US?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1365 on: October 11, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
The DS has too many sku's. Customers will get confused.

/2006
©ZH

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1366 on: October 11, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
NPD Day (stolen from GAF)

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/10/11/madden-borderlands-2-top-september-game-sales.aspx

U.S. retail video game sales declined 24 percent year-over-year in Sepetember 2012 from $1.11 billion to $848.3 million, according to NPD.

1. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV) Electronic Arts - Over 2.55M (up 11% over Madden 12)
2. Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC) Take Two Interactive - 1.48M (up 234% over Borderlands 1)
3. FIFA Soccer 13 (360, Ps3, PSV, Wii, 3DS, PSP) Electronic Arts
4. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) Nintendo - 295K
5. Guild Wars 2 (PC) NCSoft
6. NHL 13 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
7. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (PC) Activision Blizzard
8. NCAA Footbal 13 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC) Warner Bros. Interactive
10. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts

Hardware:

Xbox 360: 270K (-38.4%)

Tasty

« Reply #1367 on: October 11, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
Dem NSMB legs.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1368 on: October 11, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
Nice to see BF 3 sneak in there at 10 with no COD. I have high hopes for Black Ops 2 but MW 3 was the biggest piece of crap in COD history. The mp in that game is miserable.

Tasty

« Reply #1369 on: October 11, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »
Oscar, did MH3 outsell Bayonetta in the US?

It's complicated, but no.  Basically, Bayonetta (combined) > MHTri (combined) > Bayonetta 360 > MHTri (no ccp) > Bayonetta PS3 > MHTri (ccp bundle).  The combined numbers are very very close to each other, though.

Interesting. Completely forgot about the bundle. But didn't MadWorld outsell Bayo? And I thought Tri had outsold MadWorld.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1370 on: October 11, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
1. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV) Electronic Arts - Over 2.55M (up 11% over Madden 12)
2. Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC) Take Two Interactive - 1.48M (up 234% over Borderlands 1)
3. FIFA Soccer 13 (360, Ps3, PSV, Wii, 3DS, PSP) Electronic Arts
4. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) Nintendo - 295K
5. Guild Wars 2 (PC) NCSoft
6. NHL 13 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
7. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (PC) Activision Blizzard
8. NCAA Footbal 13 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC) Warner Bros. Interactive
10. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts

BORDERLANDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1371 on: October 11, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »
Borderlands was #4 on the last xbox live activity list so you knew it was going to have a big month. Also well deserved. Took a big jump up for a sequel quality wise.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #1372 on: October 12, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
When the hell did FIFA become popular in the States?

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1373 on: October 12, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »

football is like the third most popular sport in america now a days, it goes Football, MLB, Soccer, NBA, NHL
USA

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1374 on: October 12, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »

football is like the third most popular sport in america now a days, it goes Football, MLB, Soccer, NBA, NHL

:wtf
©@©™

Takao

« Reply #1375 on: October 19, 2012, 04:48:25 AM »
 :gloomy

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1376 on: October 23, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
There's an AKB game coming to Vita.  Unfortunately the same game is coming to PSP on the same day.  3DS is getting its AKB game shortly, too. 

It's neither here nor there, though.  AKB is on their way out these days, and the Guam game dropped like a rock compared to the first one.  I can't see the third one doing any better in a post-Acchan AKB world.

Christ. I had almost forgotten about AKB. Relative joy over imminent return to Japan has been successfully diminished.
:fbm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1377 on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
Don't worry, man.  They're fading fast.  I give them another year or so before they're in Morning Musume country.

Who, coincidentally, are trying to make a comeback!

:japancry

FFFUUU...

They all just need to wander off and do "hair nude gravure" to send their careers to their hyper-frenzied ends.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1378 on: November 07, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
This week MC

PSV  |      4.842

Vita is now totally in xbox territory.Selling low like this must mean that most of the shops have Vita buried under piles of non-selling stuff.

what is happening?
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1379 on: November 07, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »
what is happening?

The same thing that's been happening since the Vita launched?
dog