Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1190698 times)

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Re: Oscar-sama's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #3240 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:15 AM »
You bought one, dcharlie.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3241 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:19 AM »
I think the audience that was interested in Wii Sports and Wii Fit has moved on and neither of their Wii U successors will sell particularly well. Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and 3D Mario are still going to be as popular as ever though. If they want a system seller for a wider audience they will have to come up with something new and that will take time.
I'm not sure they've necessarily moved on, but the Wii U certainly isn't what they wanted more of. If they even know what it really is.

If I had to just guess I'd figure Kinect sucks up most of that audience depending on how it's centered in the next Xbox. (People already in and people who will migrate over from the Wii over the next cycle.)

The odd thing is that, at least from my perspective, the Move seems like the better tool to really consolidate that swath of people who want from Just Dance to many standard games but Sony seems to have no clue what the fuck to do with it. From an outside view, it doesn't appear to reject "normal" games like the Wii and Kinect inherently did/do.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #3242 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:35 AM »
the Wii thing was a one shot deal.  The people who bought it didn't buy it because they suddenly became gamers.  I know the joke is that people were minimizing it by saying it was a trend during the years when it just kept selling more and more, but it was a trend after all.  Just a big one.  They aren't getting that back, it's back to Gamecube/N64 performance for Nintendo's home consoles, if not much worse. 

benjipwns

« Reply #3243 on: February 28, 2013, 04:52:54 AM »
It's a trend in terms of how open more and more people are to games now. (And I think the Playstation expansion era also represented that.) If Nintendo had anything to do with it outside of the Wii it was probably entirely through the recognizably of Mario and the Nintendo brand as a brand-generic for "video game." (As much as that still lingers.)

The Wii U is definitely not the way to keep those people as Nintendo-centric customers and I've never understood how it was supposed to be.

archnemesis

« Reply #3244 on: February 28, 2013, 05:06:49 AM »
The Wii U is definitely not the way to keep those people as Nintendo-centric customers and I've never understood how it was supposed to be.
I think it could work in theory. The people I know who really enjoyed Wii Sports are the same who loved Singstar before they moved on to Guitar Hero and then to board games. Kinect dance games are really popular in other places, but they haven't really caught on here. My point is that there is a demand for social living room activities and the asymmetrical games shown in Nintendo Land could very well be excellent for this. Too bad that there isn't any software that really shows off what the system is capable of. I'm sure it could be a big hit with role-playing nerds, jeopardy and trivial pursuit nerds, karaoke nerds and many other sub-groups that already enjoy asymmetrical interactions.

benjipwns

« Reply #3245 on: February 28, 2013, 05:32:44 AM »
I still really think the problem is calling it the Wii U. I'd imagine it would be far more successful after seven years to say "it's the new NINTENDO TABUU" and then say "AND IT USES ALL YOUR OLD WII STUFF IN NEW WAYS!!!" or whatever.

This is of course discounting that software factor.  :lol

archnemesis

« Reply #3246 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:49 AM »
3DS and Wii U are both incredibly stupid names. Nintendo is the more important brand so they're not in the same position as Microsoft and Sony who must call their new products Playstation and Xbox.

benjipwns

« Reply #3247 on: February 28, 2013, 05:51:18 AM »
It really is kinda remarkable that in both of their flagship products they've on their own created a situation where even a semi-informed consumer might have to go "is this an upgrade of what I have or is it all new?"

Especially after the Lite, i, XL, etc.

I guess you can go back to when they colored the casings of the Game Boys as I remember some people being confused and thinking it was getting a color display ala Game Gear...still even when they did upgrade in that line: Game Boy, Game Boy POCKET, Game Boy COLOR, Game Boy ADVANCE seemed a lot more distinctive.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #3248 on: February 28, 2013, 05:53:36 AM »
wow

mentioned long ago i would like see WiiU doing vita like numbers for the lulz but i didn't really expect it to be actually happening  :o

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Oscar-sama's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #3249 on: February 28, 2013, 06:37:28 AM »
Gotta assume that Nintendo under estimated HD gaming and is having more problems than other Japanese companies did with the ps360 leap.

Surely they planned to release games and just haven't been able to right?
dur

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3250 on: February 28, 2013, 06:46:34 AM »
They are killing Sakurai as we speak.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3251 on: February 28, 2013, 06:54:24 AM »
Wii U is sub 10k this week in Japan. I'm not sure how they'll manage to jolt those sales when there are no (notable?) releases for 7-8 weeks.

You left out the part about how the Vita outsold the Wii U:

Vita - 11,456
Wii U - 9,633

Don't worry guys, panic Nintendo is best Nintendo.  A year from now, it will be selling 100,000 units a week.
🍆🍆

archnemesis

« Reply #3252 on: February 28, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »
It will be interesting to see how much impact the Vita price drop will have next week. I'm only expecting a small bump unless they've timed it with an attractive software release.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3253 on: February 28, 2013, 07:06:35 AM »
http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuters.com/Legal/News/2013/02_-_February/Inventor_argues_Nintendo_infringed_his_3-D_patent/

NEW YORK, Feb 26 (Reuters) - A patent infringement trial over 3-D display technology has pit an inventor against videogaming giant Nintendo Co.The patent relates to technology that inventor Seijiro Tomita developed for providing 3-D images without the need for 3-D glasses.

In opening arguments on Monday, Tomita's attorney, Joe Diamante of Stroock & Stroock & Lavan, told a jury in U.S. District Court in Manhattan that Nintendo used technology that the inventor developed for its handheld 3DS videogame system. Tomita is a former longtime Sony Corp employee.But Scott Lindvall of Kaye Scholer, an attorney for the Super Mario Bros franchise creator, said the 3DS doesn't use key aspects of Tomita's patent.

Lindvall also said a 2003 meeting that Tomita cites in his argument was merely one of several the company held with vendors selling 3-D display technology.Tomita sued Nintendo and its U.S. unit in 2011 for patent infringement and is seeking damages.His attorney cited an expert's damage estimate that Tomita is entitled to about $9.80 for every 3DS sold. The 3DS, a colorful cellphone-size product, costs $169.99 on the company's website.The trial is before U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff.
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3254 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »
Remember that Tokyo building sale rumor?

Sold.

Feb 28 (Reuters) - Sony Corp has sold one of its most prized Tokyo office buildings to Japanese real estate trust Nippon Building Fund Inc and one other investor for 111 billion yen ($1.2 billion), its second high-profile building sale this year.

The 25-storey Sony City Osaki building, completed in March 2011, houses 5,000 of its workers on a site once known as the "holy land" for Japan's television manufacturing industry, where Sony's Trinitron TV was launched in 1968.

Nippon Building Fund will take a 60 percent stake in the property, while another investor, which Sony did not name, will hold a 40 percent interest in the property, where Sony will continue to work for the next five years.

Last month Sony agreed to sell its U.S. headquarters building in New York City for $1.1 billion, the highest price paid for a single U.S. office property in two years.

It and other Japanese consumer electronics makers are selling assets to bring in cash as they fight to end losses at their television units, besieged by competition from South Korean rivals such as Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.

Sony City Osaki, near the firm's Tokyo headquarters, is the nerve centre of its struggling TV and audio divisions.

The firm expects to report a gain on the sale of around 41 billion yen, to be recorded as operating income in the fourth quarter of the fiscal year that ends in March, it said in a statement.

Before the sale was announced, Sony had forecast net operating profit of 130 billion yen for the full year.

The transaction is the most expensive office property sale in Japan in almost four years, excluding a transfer of a property between two companies in the same group.

Japanese property fund manager Secured Capital bought an office building in central Tokyo's Marunouchi district in 2009 for about 140 billion yen. ($1 = 91.6050 Japanese yen) (Additional reporting by Tim Kelly; Editing by Daniel Magnowski)
cat

« Reply #3255 on: February 28, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
Wii U is sub 10k this week in Japan. I'm not sure how they'll manage to jolt those sales when there are no (notable?) releases for 7-8 weeks.

You left out the part about how the Vita outsold the Wii U:

Vita - 11,456
Wii U - 9,633

Don't worry guys, panic Nintendo is best Nintendo.  A year from now, it will be selling 100,000 units a week.

I do actually think a year from now it will be beasting the 3DS. Maybe not in Japan. But its a far better system with far better prospects if they can right the ship in a similar way.

Wii U's poor sales aren't so much a result of poor performance or poor design than they are a symptom of poor strategy.

Around 2010 it was obvious that they'd started shifting resources to 3DS and Wii U: the only major games that released in the West after that point were games that were farmed to outside developers, and games that Japan had already seen.

They've definitely had their big internal teams working on Wii U games for a long time... I think they have tried to milk Wii sales a little too long (allowing the brand power to dwindle) - and I think they thought their current Wii U strategy would work as a holdover until the next gen consoles and E3 arrived.

Like 3DS, they released the system without a complete OS. It's slower than it should be and it has had bugs. While most owners are over that or have seen problems fixed, its left a poor first impression and contributed to negative press. I think they thought that the problem with 3DS' launch was that they didn't have a big name like Mario at launch, and I think they thought that NSMBU would rectify that. It's a good game, sure, but I think its too familiar -- the 'new' in the title is almost ironic. I don't think its a very marketable game series for a console launch generally... especially as they bizarrely launched another NSMB on 3DS a few months earlier. I also think the gaming community and online magazine editors expect more than a 2D mario for launch. Whether its right or wrong to hold those expectations is beside the point -- this again, contributed to negative publicity.

As it became clear that this year was becoming the target year for PS4/720, Nintendo did seem to put Wii U's hardware schedule into gear, but they didn't talk about it until quite late on. I think part of this stems from their desire to milk the Wii hardware for all that its worth. It's still selling reasonably well... and in fact, Wii U and Wii sales combined are higher than Wii and Gamecube sales were during the last transition. So you can understand them wanting to do that - but having the Wii still on shelves, with no new releases, is hurting the Wii U. The DS did the same thing to the 3DS when that first launched. Part of me almost thinks it would have been better to completely kill the Wii and DS markets off in stores -- cease production, only sell what's left.

Nintendo were coy about revealing new games when they announced the Wii U. We got Pikmin 3, NSMB and NintendoLand. Nothing more: no sizzle real for their own stuff as has been the usual tradition. This, to me, is a clear indicator of Nintendo's fear of being copied or countered. In a way, going first has been bad for them, because they've gone first but maintained utter secrecy until they've known more about the competition. Instead of taking advantage of this head start, they are STILL holding back on the games they are working on and the games they have planned. I have absolutely no doubt that Retro Studios' game will be amazing, that the next Mario and Zelda will be amazing, and that there are probably games in development we don't even expect -- perhaps something like Wii Sports... and things like Excite Truck and Punch Out, which I don't think anyone expected last gen. So where are they?

Nintendo seem to have thought that their paltry schedule would give room for third party games to perform. They seem to have thought that the console could just skirt by on scraps, and that when the other new consoles were fully unveiled - they could roll out their big guns in response, and they'd have any OS kinks ironed out by then. This must come as a shock to them, but they've actually managed to kill excitement for the machine and any momentum they could have had instead. This is ultimately what has been turning off third parties who might have been more interested had they really whipped up more hype for this thing. TLDR; they should have shown what they were working on - even if it was just target render stuff.

Regarding EA, and the origin schism -- if that rumour has any truth to it, Nintendo need to realise that some of their partners are sharks and that if they are going to enter into collaborations, then they have to have backup plans in case they fall through.

As an owner of the system, I feel confident it has a good future ahead in terms of games... I don't really mind if it ends up another Gamecube in terms of sales, but I do think that would be a shame. They should price drop this thing whenever they can, and tell us about games they're working on ASAP.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:11:20 AM by radioheadrule83 »

archnemesis

« Reply #3256 on: February 28, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »
Didn't Oscar recently post a list of what the different Nintendo teams are working on? I don't think there are many secret unannounced projects left. Some of the games they've announced at the Nintendo Direct events are far from being released this year and they don't have enough internal teams to release quality Wii U games on a regular schedule.

hampster

« Reply #3257 on: February 28, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »
It’s amazing how little the Wii U has coming after March. Pikmin and Wonderful 101 will release at some point but then what? I wonder if they will finish in time whatever big fall game they were hoping to release given how slowly they are doing everything else

Makes you wonder what the original plan was. Like would we have a real Virtual Console library by now if they didn't need to salvage the OS, things like that
Zzz

archnemesis

« Reply #3258 on: February 28, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »
Software droughts are always a problem post-launch. I guess they were hoping for third-party publishers to cover the period between now and the next holiday season. I'm sure they will announce some big hitters at E3 that will be released in time for Christmas.

« Reply #3259 on: February 28, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »
Didn't Oscar recently post a list of what the different Nintendo teams are working on? I don't think there are many secret unannounced projects left. Some of the games they've announced at the Nintendo Direct events are far from being released this year and they don't have enough internal teams to release quality Wii U games on a regular schedule.

I don't know what Oscar posted but when you parse what they actually have shown us from what they haven't, they are still overwhelmingly quiet about whats being worked on:

• We don't really know who is working on Mario Kart, there could be a collaboration there, maybe not -- EAD 1 might have more than that one project going.
  • Eguchi's team likely have other projects following up behind NintendoLand.
  • We haven't seen the new Zelda for 3DS, and its unclear whether its a Nintendo team developing that. Grezzo could be involved. Wind Waker HD could even be farmed out. And of course, they've yet to show us how Zelda U will actually look and play.
  • I don't think Wii Fit U will be the only output of the EAD team heading that one up.
  • We've seen nothing from EAD Tokyo 1/2.
  • We've seen nothing from Retro Studios. Worth remembering they hired some exciting talent there over the last couple of years.
  • We don't know what Kuju / Headstrong are doing for Nintendo on U. They brought over Geometry Wars: Galaxies, House of the Dead Overkill, and Batallion Wars 2 on the Wii. They also worked with SPD3 on Art Academy 3DS most recently.
  • Next Level Games could have a U project. They worked on the Mario Strikers games, Punch Out, Ghost Recon Wii etc.
  • What are the other SPD teams doing? IS? HAL? Brownie Brown? Genius Sonority? Monster Games (Excite!)?

And of course, there could be third party partnerships we don't know about yet too. They are definitely sitting on information they should be sharing.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3260 on: February 28, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
Nintendo really is doomed.

Their marketshare is decreasing, but development costs are going up, even if they will forever be a generation behind costwise they will bleed to death this way eventually.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3261 on: February 28, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »
So like the whole gaming industry then?
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3262 on: February 28, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
 :'(

I think industry will be fine because everyone is looking for new business models, new games etc. Nintendo doesn't.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #3263 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
I didn't read all that shit, but Nintendo's problem isn't just games. They designed a console based around a concept no one gives a shit about that presents an obstacle to cutting the price.

archie4208

« Reply #3264 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
Hollywood gaming is dying.  Better start appreciating indie games and hat simulators.

« Reply #3265 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:39 AM »
I didn't read all that shit, but Nintendo's problem isn't just games. They designed a console based around a concept no one gives a shit about that presents an obstacle to cutting the price.

Without full transparency in their accounting, I kind of doubt it presents any significant obstacle. The real guts of Wii U are in the console - the controller is a resistive LCD, a broadcom wifi chipset / NFC, two speakers, a 1 megapixel camera and regular normal controls. There's no way the BOM of that thing is over $50. Even a shit attach ratio would have them making money before long.

No-one gives a shit about the concept because there are no hardcore gaming experiences that fully justify it, and too-few 'new' games generally.

If we had an FPS or other online game that used the built in camera for live feeds of other players, or a racing game that allowed you to customise your vehicle with the stylus, or if we had a decent art game, or a music game like Elite Beat Agents -- we'd all be loving the gamepad a lot more. A new Wii Sports or Four Swords type game might have helped us better appreciate the asymmetric idea too.

The absence of truly new software IS the problem. As is the price.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #3266 on: February 28, 2013, 11:24:23 AM »
None of those things will make anyone give a shit about it

If it's so easy to cut the price, where's the price cut? Do you think it is soon? Is it a given that Iwata steps down in one year?

« Reply #3267 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »
None of those things will make anyone give a shit about it

If it's so easy to cut the price, where's the price cut? Do you think it is soon? Is it a given that Iwata steps down in one year?

It could be a given if his hints about targets were definitely implying he would and they maintain current course, doing nothing about all this negative press and this manifest downturn in sales. Absolutely, yeah.

I think they're reluctant to cut price, but that they may have to... it's not that cutting price is easy or hard. The thing about price cuts is that they're rarely if ever reversible. If PS4/720 are announced to be $450+ and new Nintendo games win interest, they could conceivably see an uptick in interest following those price announcements! My gut tells me it won't play out quite like that, but I can see the premium SKU at $299 with de facto retailer sales below that before the Summer, or extra games bundled in. I think they could take $100 off the thing without too much blow-back from early adopters, but they'll probably try bundling and other things first.

I think they probably will respond to the lack of current demand, but I don't think they'll do anything before the new FY starts.

Himu

« Reply #3268 on: February 28, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
You bought one, dcharlie.

this post :rofl
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3269 on: February 28, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
Nintendo has abandoned consoles before due to demand constraints (Gamecube) and can do it again.  I expect some attempts to recapture the Wii base this E3.  I think Nintendo would rather hope that they get a breakout casual hit than try to shore up their hardcore fare (Mario, Zelda, etc.) which is why the "Panic Nintendo is best Nintendo" fare on GAF is wrong.  If they will see Gamecube like performances, they are going to treat it just like the Gamecube.  Since this is The Last Console Generation, who knows if we'll see a Wii U successor if the Wii U doesn't take off.
🍆🍆

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #3270 on: February 28, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »
we've had three market crashes.  interesting who was steering the ship for all three of those.

well, don't keep us in suspense!

https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/306773690060795905

People asking if I think we're going to have another crash. That's like standing in the wreckage and wondering if the plane will be okay.
乱学者

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3271 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »
It's not like Glorious Nihon was totally innocent in all of this...
©@©™

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #3272 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »
maybe some surly reluctant prince will assemble a ragtag team of spunky teens to search for the magical talisman that will save the gaming world again

and again

and again

and again

spoiler (click to show/hide)
and again
[close]
sup

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #3273 on: February 28, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »

I think industry will be fine because everyone is looking for new business models, new games etc. Nintendo doesn't.
:lol :heh :sabu :rofl
vin

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3274 on: February 28, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »
seeing more and more industry people admitting we're in a crash now, albeit a slower one than 1983 or 1977.  made me think of some interesting food for thought.

we've had seven console generations.  the first two were dominated by western developers/game design philosophy and western business practices led the way.  the next four were dominated by japanese developers/game design philosophy and japanese business practices led the way.  the latest was dominated by western developers/game design philosophy and western business practices led the way.

we've had three market crashes.  interesting who was steering the ship for all three of those.

Crash of '77? Honestly this is the first I've ever heard of that. Unless the "crash" was something like mechanical games/pinball? Would love to hear more.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3275 on: February 28, 2013, 10:15:37 PM »
It's not like Glorious Nihon was totally innocent in all of this...

oh, certainly.  but it is funny who ends up holding the bomb when it goes off.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
for reals though, i think apple has probably done more to destroy the games industry than pretty much anyone ever.  they never really gave a fuck about games, so they've allowed some very, very unhealthy shit to happen in their ecosystem that is, in the end, probably going to kill the whole thing.  and by whole thing, i mean the games business, not apple's products.
[close]

Steve Jobs continues to torment us from beyond the grave. :maf

I'm okay with a Kickstarter-funded future, though. Far more games I'm really interested in are coming out of there than from AAA, Hollywood gaming. Deal with it, America.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3276 on: February 28, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
Oh wow, you see I knew about Pong standalones and stuff but never really likened it to a crash or anything. Funny enough, the Fairchild Channel F, was made of a spinoff company that my mom used to work at. I asked her about the game system way back when but she never heard of it.

After this crash, hopefully Nippon will come along to save the day again :uguu
^_^

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #3277 on: February 28, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »

New business model: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-28-parents-refused-refund-by-apple-after-son-spends-1700-on-free-ipad-game

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3278 on: March 01, 2013, 04:06:43 AM »
There is some drama at gaf about EA microtransactions

CliffyB
If you don’t like EA, don’t buy their games. If you don’t like their microtransactions, don’t spend money on them. It’s that simple. EA has many smart people working for them (Hi, Frank, JR, and Patrick!) and they wouldn’t attempt these things if they didn’t work. Turns out, they do. I assure you there are teams of analysts studying the numbers behind consumer behavior over there that are studying how you, the gamer, spends his hard earned cash.

If you’re currently raging about this on GAF, or on the IGN forums, or on Gamespot, guess what? You’re the vocal minority. Your average guy that buys just Madden and GTA every year doesn’t know, nor does he care. He has no problem throwing a few bucks more at a game because, hey, why not?

EviLore
Shit, I had no idea. I figured Ni no Kuni was selling 30 million copies per hour, because it's being talked about a lot on a video game forum. Thanks for clearing that up, Django.

Dismissing arguments and consumer dissatisfaction on a discussion forum with a sweeping hand of "just vote with your wallet and shut up; you're not relevant" is up there toward the height of stupidity, especially when it's being framed on your blog in between soapboxing about what you think the video game industry should be doing differently. Have some perspective.
cat

mjemirzian

« Reply #3279 on: March 01, 2013, 04:20:08 AM »
The govt should pass laws protecting hardcore games and gamers from the evils of "just don't buy it" capitalism. ::)

The disgruntled gamer panic is really going to set in with the next xbox reveal. Can't wait.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:22:44 AM by mjemirzian »

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #3280 on: March 01, 2013, 04:23:56 AM »
EL is dying to manufacture some Dyack caliber drama with a new developer. I'm voting with my clicks.
Unzip

mjemirzian

« Reply #3281 on: March 01, 2013, 04:46:05 AM »
How dare an industry insider and vet tell us to stop being damp bottomed, myopic, angry, clueless forum warriors! Stop selling DLC and sports games and make Japanese Grindin Adventure 1-10 for us with a $500 million budget! Normal people don't get angry at someone else's success. EA and their DLC in this case. Deal with it.

I see gaf mods still enjoy acting rotten and nasty while hypocritically banning anyone they dislike by stalking their posts until they spot the slightest excuse to do so.

mjemirzian

« Reply #3282 on: March 01, 2013, 05:14:59 AM »
Oversized dildo DLC in Gears of War 5.

Sure Cliffy's a hypocrite by criticizing dildos but telling others to shut up about DLC, but riling up gaffers is hilarious.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:34:35 AM by mjemirzian »

« Reply #3283 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:17 AM »
I see gaf mods still enjoy acting rotten and nasty while hypocritically banning anyone they dislike by stalking their posts until they spot the slightest excuse to do so.

Just out of curiosity, care to show any examples in the CliffyB thread?  Looks like volpone got nailed in there for voicing an anti-GAF view but I could have missed something.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3284 on: March 01, 2013, 06:12:43 AM »
My biggest problem with Clifford Blazeupski is he sucks.

« Reply #3285 on: March 01, 2013, 06:36:40 AM »

Just out of curiosity, care to show any examples in the CliffyB thread?  Looks like volpone got nailed in there for voicing an anti-GAF view but I could have missed something.

If he hadn't invoked the 'GAF hivemind' thing, he might have gotten away with that a little more. EL and the mods really don't seem to like that kind of talk..

He didn't actually say anything too unreasonable beyond that.

Cliffy doesn't need to say any more really, business will bear him out - people who don't like it don't really matter. I think trying to have a huge debate with him about it on a forum is a colossal waste of time for all involved.

mjemirzian

« Reply #3286 on: March 01, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »
a forum is a colossal waste of time for all involved.
Correct. :lol

I dunno, haven't looked at the thread. I don't feel like wading through that shit.

Badly behaving, power tripping hypocrite mods seem to gather wherever RPGs are discussed, or they seem to be primarily fans of RPGs. Just an observation.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:51:43 AM by mjemirzian »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #3287 on: March 01, 2013, 08:47:15 AM »
I think more people are going to vote with their wallets this next generation, but it's going to be out of necessity rather than any real sense of outrage over DLC, microtransactions, or used game passes. Times are already tight, and starting next year they're gonna get a lot tighter for a lot more people.
sup

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3288 on: March 01, 2013, 08:55:26 AM »
I think more people are going to vote with their wallets this next generation, but it's going to be out of necessity rather than any real sense of outrage over DLC, microtransactions, or used game passes. Times are already tight, and starting next year they're gonna get a lot tighter for a lot more people.

The recession hasn't stopped people from buying (or charging to be more accurate) several hundreds of dollars each year for a new iPhone or iPad.

The biggest problem is conveying value in buying a PS4 or a Durango vs. getting the iPad 5 that will probably be launching here sometime in the next few months.  I think this is the real problem vs. how much money they have to spend.  Apple did great during some really tight times in spite of all of their shit being expensive as hell.
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #3289 on: March 01, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »
the difference is that after the initial several hundred dollar investment for the tablet or phone, all the apps and games are either free or a buck
sup

archnemesis

« Reply #3290 on: March 01, 2013, 09:03:43 AM »
Near launch it's mostly dedicated enthusiasts who're going to get the new systems and they're not as price sensitive as parents and youths. If people are interested in the products they'll dig deep into their pockets for them. I think brand loyalty will be the biggest deciding factor together with the price, assuming that both consoles are approximately of the same power.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3291 on: March 01, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
Psychologically speaking, stuff like Real Racing 3 is about half a stone's throw away from gambling.

Real Racing 3 disgusts me in a way that I didn't think disposable entertainment could.
dog

mjemirzian

« Reply #3292 on: March 01, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »
Haven't seen many Korean free to play MMOs have you?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3293 on: March 01, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
Psychologically speaking, stuff like Real Racing 3 is about half a stone's throw away from gambling.

Real Racing 3 disgusts me in a way that I didn't think disposable entertainment could.

©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3294 on: March 01, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »
dog

mjemirzian

« Reply #3295 on: March 01, 2013, 10:04:14 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3296 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »
Yeah, because that's TOTALLY comparable! You can't see it, but I'm rolling my eyes at you.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3298 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:33 PM »
It is a beautiful game but those timers are insane.

Then again if you play casually I don't think its a huge deal. I did a few races in bed, upgrades where done while browsing bore, went to sleep.

Himu

« Reply #3299 on: March 01, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

:merchant
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:34:46 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK