Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1190648 times)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
Re: Oscar-sempai's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #4080 on: May 16, 2013, 10:58:59 PM »
Wii U between 40k and 33k.  Vita below 20k.

it's like I'm part of an exclusive club who owns both!

(Image removed from quote.)

just wait for e3 just wait for e3 just wait for e3

Himu

« Reply #4081 on: May 16, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »
Jesus fucking Christ, I am watching the industry burn and I don't even give a shit.
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4082 on: May 16, 2013, 11:07:07 PM »
Jesus fucking Christ, I am watching the industry burn and I don't even give a shit.

cause we got more than enough good games to last several lifetimes

but new stuff would be nice... :teehee

mjemirzian

« Reply #4083 on: May 16, 2013, 11:13:05 PM »
I would care, but I've got a backlog that would probably take the rest of my life to work through already.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #4084 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:01 AM »

Same here, but it could've at least given me Phantasy Star 5 and Skies of Arcadia 2 before it decided to kick the bucket.

I guess that's the good thing about being an RPG fan - a neverending backlog of long-ass games to play.
^_^

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #4085 on: May 17, 2013, 12:20:52 AM »
at this point nintendo probably ought to consider a wii u hail mary rebranding/relaunch, or start outlining an exit strategy for it
sup

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4086 on: May 17, 2013, 12:35:51 AM »

The industry is doomed after nearly decade old consoles are starting to slow down, with the next gen on the horizon?

I agree with Anihawk on GAF. Nintendo should probably kill the WiiU next year and start over, with some system that mixes console and handheld gaming (to consolidate brands). Actually put some effort into the Virtual Console thing, and just release games nonstop.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:40:45 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #4087 on: May 17, 2013, 12:39:45 AM »

Same here, but it could've at least given me Phantasy Star 5 and Skies of Arcadia 2 before it decided to kick the bucket.

I guess that's the good thing about being an RPG fan - a neverending backlog of long-ass games to play.
You want Sega to do a smart sensible thing? That's not happened for a while now and isn't likely to anytime soon.
Hi

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #4088 on: May 17, 2013, 12:42:56 AM »
Nintendo should probably [..] Actually put some effort in
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
SRY

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #4089 on: May 17, 2013, 01:10:05 AM »
Wii U has turned into a disaster of proportions even I didn't expect. TIme for them to focus on the more kid-centric and kid friendly handheld market going forward in the US I would expect.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #4090 on: May 17, 2013, 01:26:41 AM »
sub 40k wii u sales?

Am I the only one enjoying the death of the console industry?
yar

Himu

« Reply #4091 on: May 17, 2013, 01:29:44 AM »
an offline old-style phantasy star and a sequel to skies of arcadia aren't really what i would call smart and sensible things.  i would call them fanservice, and sega's lost more than enough money going down that road to last a lifetime.  fun facts about those two series: phantasy star portable (the first psp phantasy star) is the highest selling installment of the entire series, by leaps and bounds.  skies of arcadia sold under 200k on DC and even less on GC.

smart and sensible sega looks a lot like the sega of the last year.  i mean, minus porting stupid dreamcast shit like jet set radio that nobody cares about.

Fuck you. I hope you include Nights in this.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4092 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:43 AM »
Well I don't know. I can't get behind the idea that putting up your old games up in digital form is a waste. I mean how much would it even cost? Saturn and DC emulation is spot on these days. I'm pretty sure they recouped their cost of even doing that port. The same isn't true for jsr, which has hefty licensing of music like DRAGULAAAAA.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4093 on: May 17, 2013, 01:48:32 AM »
Oh, I agree. At this point, anyone who wants or expects Sega to make sequels to games like Skies of Arcadia or Phantasy Star (offline) or especially Shenmue is off their handle and fucking insane and probably not living in reality. Even I, as big a Shenmue fan as I am, could give two fucks about Shenmue III. It's not happening, if it does happen, it won't be under Sega's bill, and I'm not asking for it nor am I expecting it.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #4094 on: May 17, 2013, 01:56:00 AM »
I would actually like a smart and sensible SEGA. I'd rather have a SEGA that didn't give a shit about fan service than no SEGA at all. It's a bit perplexing how SEGA fans continue to be responsible for their favorite company's demise despite being so outspoken, at least that's the impression I get.

The most outstanding story for me was when SEGA of America basically poured everything into Yakuza and had it blow up in their faces. I missed that game upon release, but playing it recently I was stunned by the production value. They seem(ed) to be a well-meaning games publisher, but maybe that's their problem.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #4095 on: May 17, 2013, 02:01:00 AM »
Part of Yakuza's problem:

1. Dub (many people in my Yakuza gaf threads would say they aren't buying it because of the dub in the trailer and demo), and localization.
2. Poor publicity. I saw not one single commercial for Yakuza and I thought it could have done well with a modicum of advertising. When a game like Shadows of the Colossus sells the way it does, no way is a game where you curb stomp fuckers going to bomb with a decent ad campaign.
3. The name. The original name translated in English is far cooler, resonates with martial arts movie fans, and is more relevant than..."Yakuza", especially since, afaik, like in Yak 4, it doesn't star an entirely Yakuza cast.

Also, I don't think porting ten year old games is going to kill Sega but that's me.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #4096 on: May 17, 2013, 02:03:52 AM »
It just seems that SEGA has historically tried to appease the people who love it, but they end up hurt every time. They're the victim of an abusive marriage :lol If SEGA stopped, it'd be like they finally built up the courage to walk away.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:05:23 AM by Raban »
SRY

Himu

« Reply #4097 on: May 17, 2013, 02:07:58 AM »
God, Yakuza 2 was so baller. :noah Gonna have to catch up on my Kiryu Simulator sometime soon. I got 3 and 4 sitting here but I still have to sort out my psn issues with sony.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4098 on: May 17, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »
Yakuza was never going to fly in North America.  Positioning it as a Japanese GTA was absolutely disastrous, because it is not that, at all.  But even properly marketed, I don't think there's any real place for it.  Even in film, extremely high quality gangster movies made in Asia seem to need to be reshot with whiteys to get any attention.

Too many what-ifs here, but the GTA in Japan thing I think to my memory was more created by the western press than Sega of America/Europe.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4099 on: May 17, 2013, 02:24:20 AM »
:obama

I just thought they made shit up. That's how much I respect them.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4100 on: May 17, 2013, 02:51:53 AM »
Market saturation after 8 years who would have thought it

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4101 on: May 17, 2013, 03:58:50 AM »
Its hard to say if people will want Durnago/PS4, but Im pretty sure not matter how bad they will do 2/3 times Wii U numbers.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4102 on: May 17, 2013, 06:03:52 AM »
That said I don't subscribe to the end of videogames newsletter, just a change in the current landscape.

I still think Wii U could have been a homerun if the pad would have been a fully functional tablet as well, that way it could have been sold as My First Tablet etc.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:05:28 AM by Premium Lager »

archie4208

« Reply #4103 on: May 17, 2013, 06:14:56 AM »
Oscar-chan, where do you see the industry in 5 years?  Just curious to see your opinion.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4104 on: May 17, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »
Im not Oscar but I imagine it will be like getting of a bus in a tourist destination in the third world being assaulted by poor salesman that actually might have something you want, but you just want to look around on your own.

For every person that ignored their in face approach (iap) there will be one that bites.

Maybe I'm just talking about iOS and Android stores.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:31:48 AM by Premium Lager »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4105 on: May 17, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »

The industry is doomed after nearly decade old consoles are starting to slow down, with the next gen on the horizon?

I agree with Anihawk on GAF. Nintendo should probably kill the WiiU next year and start over, with some system that mixes console and handheld gaming (to consolidate brands). Actually put some effort into the Virtual Console thing, and just release games nonstop.

I suspect Nintendo will pull a Gamecube and leave the Wii U to fend for itself once they pump out their obligatory Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda.  Nintendo is kind of screwed here: nothing they can do at this point will probably salvage the Wii U, as it is selling well below the Gamecube.  However they can't just kill it off in 2014 and then put out something new in 2015, aka pulling a Sega.  So I suspect that they will just leave it alone after 2014 and release a successor either in 2016 or 2017.

I can see Nintendo putting out another console because Nintendo probably needs both handheld and console streams of revenue to survive.  Sony (although barely thriving) and Microsoft have many other products, it'd be nothing for them to discontinue the PlayStation and Xbox.  However getting rid of a major part of their business would kill a company like Nintendo.  That and the 4DS will probably still look like fucking shit on a TV.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:41:48 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4106 on: May 17, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
Whatever happens, I just want Iwata, Reggie, and Miyamoto to leave in disgrace.  Because I'm like that.
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4107 on: May 17, 2013, 08:38:08 AM »
at this point nintendo probably ought to consider a wii u hail mary rebranding/relaunch, or start outlining an exit strategy for it

Allow you to sync your Vita with your WiiU and use it as a Gamepad and play your VC roms on it.
©@©™

archie4208

« Reply #4108 on: May 17, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
I'm kinda iffy on Activision.  World of Warcraft is on a permanent decline, and I believe Black Ops 2 sold less than Modern Warfare 3 so Call of Duty might not be the king forever.  Titan and Destiny are wildcards.  Titan has been hyped for over 5 years, but there is very little info about it.  If it can become the next big thing, Activision will be sitting pretty.  Destiny, I'm not so sure of.  I think it'll end up performing 'ok', but won't set the world on fire.

Tencent, for better or worse, is going to be a major player in the upcoming years.  Looking at their financials, their games division is just as large as EA and Activision.  They hit a grand slam buying Riot and are heavily invested in Epic.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them make more western acquisitions in the future.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4109 on: May 17, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »
I wonder if Titan development had to be overhauled when they realized the sub-model is risky.

Allow you to sync your Vita with your WiiU and use it as a Gamepad and play your VC roms on it.

ya know i might...actually...nah.   VC only has 1 game.

archie4208

« Reply #4110 on: May 17, 2013, 09:39:11 AM »
The sub model is dead.  The only games that can survive on subs are World of Warcraft and very niche stuff like EVE Online.  SE is going to have a rude awakening when FF14 relaunches.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4111 on: May 17, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »
Sony should make PS+ a service that can be accessed on ALL platforms and cover all media. I guess the Gaikai purchase might make this possible.

Having a PS+ sub should get you games, movies, music on your PS, phone, tablet, pc, xbox, wii etc.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
vin

Himu

« Reply #4113 on: May 17, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
Atlus - gone, IP/name absorbed by SEGA, Konami, or SE.

WHERE'S MY TO CRY
IYKYK

« Reply #4114 on: May 17, 2013, 03:21:23 PM »

WHERE'S MY TO CRY

?
野球

Steve Contra

« Reply #4115 on: May 17, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
I believe Himu is amending Oscar's post about the industry in 5 years, 5 years after Oscar posted it.
vin

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #4116 on: May 17, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »

WHERE'S MY TO CRY

this will have to do I guess

Himu

« Reply #4117 on: May 17, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »

WHERE'S MY TO CRY

?

Read Oscar's post.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #4118 on: May 17, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/x360-aaron-greenberg-industry-growth

Gaming is fine. Grooch's doom and gloom is not very effective.

Steve Contra

« Reply #4119 on: May 17, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
Ummmm, Oscar's doom and gloom is mostly about the console industry, which is not at all fine. 
vin

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #4120 on: May 17, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »
Ummmm, Oscar's doom and gloom is mostly about the console industry, which is not at all fine.

Basically this.  No one is saying people won't be playing "games" 5 or 10 years from now.  Just that you'll be doing it on either a pc or a handheld device.
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4121 on: May 17, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
I don't think the console industry is fine, but again...we've been in this generation for nearly a decade. I see no reason to believe that the next generation will be some giant disaster. Will people go out of business? Sure, but that happened this gen as well - and is a risk of business.

I think both the PS4 and 720 will be successful. Whether they manage to become true entertainment hubs is the only question I have; currently I doubt it, but I'll wait to see which Xbox rumors are true/bullshit.

Steve Contra

« Reply #4122 on: May 17, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »
If MCD had bothered to read all those power point slides (which isn't that hard, I mean they're fucking powerpoint slides) he'd see that one has Generation 7 (360, ps3, and Wii) as the biggest yet, and another slide that has the next gen growing 28% for that!  Wow, right?  Except the first Gen 8 console has been an abysmal failure compared to it's predecessor, which is basically responsible for Gen 7 growing at all.  So basically they expect 28% growth from the 2 other consoles on top of what they have make up for the failure of the WiiU.  Sound logic!
vin

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #4123 on: May 17, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
You actually read that?

Steve Contra

« Reply #4124 on: May 17, 2013, 06:11:52 PM »
It took me like 1 minute to read and comprehend.  Probably shorter than you posting the chart and a link.
vin

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #4125 on: May 17, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »
lol

I was actually listening to Nelson and Greenberg talking about it here: https://soundcloud.com/xbox/show-476-video-gaming-industry

I don't have any hard ass sales data as Oscar but I still see console gaming going strong for at least two more generations.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #4126 on: May 17, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »
I see console gaming going strong for about 2 more weeks

#XboxReveal
乱学者

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #4127 on: May 17, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Only On Xbox

Steve Contra

« Reply #4128 on: May 17, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
Major Nelson and Aaron Greenberg can certainly be counted on for REAL TALK when it comes to the console business.
vin

Himu

« Reply #4129 on: May 17, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »
Are gamers really going to fall for more first person shooters next Gen? They aren't tired of that yet?
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #4130 on: May 17, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »
Major Nelson and Aaron Greenberg can certainly be counted on for REAL TALK when it comes to the console business.

are you suggesting they might have an agenda in pumping up console industry confidence 5 days before Microsoft's next Xbox announcement

how dare you sir
乱学者

Steve Contra

« Reply #4131 on: May 17, 2013, 06:25:51 PM »
Why would an army major have a stake in the console industry?
vin

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Oscar-sempai's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #4132 on: May 17, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »
Keeps the troops from going on murderous rampages
dur

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #4133 on: May 17, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »
Kickbacks from EA gun licensing
乱学者

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #4134 on: May 18, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »
an offline old-style phantasy star and a sequel to skies of arcadia aren't really what i would call smart and sensible things.  i would call them fanservice, and sega's lost more than enough money going down that road to last a lifetime.  fun facts about those two series: phantasy star portable (the first psp phantasy star) is the highest selling installment of the entire series, by leaps and bounds.  skies of arcadia sold under 200k on DC and even less on GC.

smart and sensible sega looks a lot like the sega of the last year.  i mean, minus porting stupid dreamcast shit like jet set radio that nobody cares about.

Ehh, if the whole industry is going to hell in a handbasket, why not go out in a blaze of glory instead of prolonging your death?
^_^

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #4135 on: May 20, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
http://kotaku.com/what-the-next-playstation-and-xbox-need-to-get-right-508830626

Know it's Kotaku but ignoring that, it's a good read by John Riccitiello.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #4136 on: May 20, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
Someone 'shop Gaben's head onto a phoenix
yar

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4137 on: May 20, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #4138 on: May 20, 2013, 05:00:07 PM »
Again - i'm going against the grain here but after churning it over and over i expect surprisingly good peformance from x720 and ps4.

Vita and 3ds performance can be attributed to direct comparisons to iphone and ipads - cost wise its a big chunk of change in terms of game price and unit price when you already have a phone and a glut of cheapo games on tap

WiiU ? Casual gamers got phones and ipads and , as they were touristing it up in Nintendoville, the collosal failure with WiiU is down to Nintendos complete inability to retain the casual market they established. So they have ended up targetting Nintendo fans and the 6 people left who didnt bother with next gen since 2006. Its a thin demographic and the price of the unit is wrong wrong wrong. Plus - little compeling software.

x360 sales are starting to trend down, ps3 has had a bit of a rally - the question is down to price differentials and whether gamers see an actual difference or not. As mentioned - i expect so very creative pricing models this time around to get machines into peoples hands with as limited amount of upfront pain as possible. So fuck it - calling it now - both machines to shock in a positive way in terms of sales.

(This is a kissof death, isnt it?)
O=X

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4139 on: May 20, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »
I think they will do well because they won't be marketed strictly as gaming machines.  For instance, I strongly suspect Xbox will be marketed as a social media box that just so happens to play games.
🍆🍆