Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1190788 times)

Tasty

Re: Emandematics Thread: Mobile games outsell Rahx 3:1
« Reply #6720 on: June 19, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
God fucking dammit.

Nintendo HAD to start this stupid ass ANALOG ON TOP OF FACE BUTTONS movement with the wii u. And now every fucker is copying it.

ANALOG STICKS GO BELOW FACE BUTTONS.

:umad

Himu

« Reply #6721 on: June 19, 2014, 07:56:52 PM »
I'm mad because unlike you I ACTUALLY PLAY GAMES.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #6722 on: June 19, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »

Himu

« Reply #6723 on: June 19, 2014, 08:31:23 PM »
Put the face buttons - the most used button that's not an analog stick - in the least used space on a modern controller, brehs.

Nintendo logic!
IYKYK

Takao

« Reply #6724 on: June 19, 2014, 08:36:49 PM »
I'm one of those 3DS Ambassador people and the placement of the D-Pad under it makes it hard to play Mario. Of course, the D-Pad being kind of shit doesn't help either.

Himu

« Reply #6725 on: June 19, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »
I still don't understand your beef with this setup beyond "it's not what I'm used to".

I have tried it and honestly do not like it. It feels unnatural to me, no matter how much time I spend on a Wii U. It's probably because I don't have the system so it's hard for me to get enough time to get used to it, but every time I play a 3d game that requires use of right stick manipulation, I find my reflexes suffer because I have to have to move my thumb from the stick to the buttons. Sticks have more room than buttons, simply due to their size. So when playing a game and I need to use the right stick, I don't have to look at the controller to know where the stick is. With face buttons being on the buttom of the controller, I have to feel for it and get used to the button placement. Hitting Y for example, sucks, because it's so far down, I have to actually reach to hit it. The same is true for A. I have small hands, and I don't like have the feeling that I have to move anything but my thumb on a 3d game controller.

Beyond that, there's the issue of weight and ergonomics. Having a left analog stick in the top left position, while having face buttons on the bottom right feels unnatural and weighty. The fact the Wii U controller is a tablet makes this especially true. Go and pick up a Wii U controller. Then take a ps3 and 360 controller, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I think the set up is kinds of terrible, and I can easily switch from xbox set up to playstation set up. Wii U set up though? :trash
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:47:45 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6726 on: June 19, 2014, 09:11:02 PM »
I disagree. Look at the wii u pro controller.

Let's say you're playing a 2d game (Smash Brothers for instance) and you're using dpad and face buttons. That's far too close, and just plain ridiculous. Even handhelds are not that cramped. I find the placement highly flawed and limiting. Is there any benefit for face buttons being in that position? What games benefit from it? 2d games don't. 3d games? Maybe. But I'm not seeing any reason at all why there was a need to flip the positions other than Nintendo's weird need to be different just to be different.
IYKYK

Takao

« Reply #6727 on: June 19, 2014, 09:58:01 PM »
as an aside, the sheer irony of a sonytard complaining about a shitty dpad on another system is not lost on me.

that's how i know the 3ds one is bad

SpeedStats

« Reply #6728 on: June 19, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
I disagree. Look at the wii u pro controller.

Let's say you're playing a 2d game (Smash Brothers for instance) and you're using dpad and face buttons. That's far too close, and just plain ridiculous. Even handhelds are not that cramped. I find the placement highly flawed and limiting. Is there any benefit for face buttons being in that position? What games benefit from it? 2d games don't. 3d games? Maybe. But I'm not seeing any reason at all why there was a need to flip the positions other than Nintendo's weird need to be different just to be different.

I agree with that. I thought using a Wii U Pro Controller with The Wind Waker or DKC:TF would be a good idea, but I genuinely hate using it.  A game using both the D-pad and the face buttons feels so cramped and weird.  My hands are smaller so trying to reach the B button feels awkward.  I'll still use it when I feel like playing on the TV, but I still can't get past the d-pad and face buttons being in weird locations.  It's just a matter how people perceive the ergonomics of a control method, I guess.

But I mostly use the Gamepad anyway because the TV's occupied or I'm watching sports or something so whatever.

Tasty

« Reply #6729 on: June 19, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »
Wii U Pro Controller is honestly the best controller I've used. Would I have minded them keeping the sticks the same way as on the Wii Classic Controller? Nope. But the stick needed to be in prime position for 3D gamez, so here we are.

(That much of Nintendo's output is 2.5D platformer fair these days makes me think it was an ask from third parties, similar to clicky sticks and non-circle pads.)

From the perspective of someone who's played mostly Nintendo consoles their whole life, the Xbox controller always takes some getting used to. Not only are X/Y and A/B in the wrong positions, but the right stick being below them when the left stick is above made it harder to control the camera. At least to my doughy, soft Nintendo kid brain. But that could have been a leftover aversion to the right stick from the terribad C-stick on the GameCube controller.

The Dual Shock I have far less problems with, but I hate the ergonomics (*haven't held a DS4) and it's not as comfortable for 3D games for any length of time (well, the several lengths of times I used it for an hour+.)

Tasty

« Reply #6730 on: June 19, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »
Let's say you're playing a 2d game (Smash Brothers for instance) and you're using dpad and face buttons.

The d-pad is for taunts, you philistine. :neogaf

himusterical

:dead :dead

cool breeze

« Reply #6731 on: June 19, 2014, 10:47:55 PM »
playing mario kart with the wii u pro controller is the first time I'm having real issues with it.  first off, accelerate should be X instead of A.  holding down any of the bottom three buttons is uncomfortable because the thumb is in an unnatural position.  not a problem with the analog stick since it's raised up and ends up feeling natural.  and the analog stick on top of the buttons doesn't bother me on the tablet because there's adequate room to lower your grip.  I'd like the pro controller that much more if it swapped the right stick and buttons.  everything else is great.  seriously, it's still on two bars of battery.

Himu

« Reply #6732 on: June 19, 2014, 10:58:31 PM »
Wii U Pro Controller is honestly the best controller I've used. Would I have minded them keeping the sticks the same way as on the Wii Classic Controller? Nope. But the stick needed to be in prime position for 3D gamez, so here we are.

The stick needs to be in prime position for 3d games? What? The second stick was made specifically FOR 3d games. And yet Nintendo changed it nearly almost 20 years after the fact.

I've never played a 3d game and thought, you know, it would be great if the right stick were where the face buttons are located.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:00:04 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6733 on: June 19, 2014, 11:21:01 PM »
:yeshrug

I certainly didn't chastise for the changing times. I just merely defended the f2p model. If they or you took it as people being unable to adapt, it definitely wasn't my intention.

Maybe I feel this way because I don't have a Wii U. I'd like to have one. So it really isn't a deal breaker, as I'm sure I'll adapt because I try to be an open-minded person. But from my experience so far, I don't like the placement and I don't like that so many controller makers are copying it.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6734 on: June 19, 2014, 11:24:46 PM »
WiiU controller isn't too bad, especially compared to the tablet. Works fine for me with dpad/buttons (NES Remix) and left analog/buttons (Mario 3D)
^_^

« Reply #6735 on: June 19, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
From the few times I've used a Wii U (both gamepad and Pro controller), I can't say I'd be comfortable doing FPS with the right stick above the face buttons. Most shooters use X (PS)/A (Xbox) /whateveristhelowestbutton as the jump button, which makes having the stick on the bottom be the better option since your thumb has easy access to that button while you're tilting the stick.

Then again, playing shooters on Wii U...  :teehee
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:31:07 PM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Tasty

« Reply #6736 on: June 19, 2014, 11:27:04 PM »

Himu

« Reply #6737 on: June 19, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »
How is that funny at all? Especially coming from you?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6738 on: June 19, 2014, 11:36:59 PM »
Anyways, fps games are more than just aiming and shooting. You have to maneuver and jump constantly to get the other players out of your hair and make it harder for them to shoot you. Having the right stick far away from the bottom buttons, as sunblade said. Is a mismatch. In fact, we don't even need to use this for fps games. We can use it for something like The upcoming Bayonetta 2. In bayo and similar 3d action games you turn the camera around all the time to get a scope of the action while you play. And the right stick is above the jump/slash bottoms? In Bayonetta? I'm sorry if that doesn't sound like fun to me, himufit or not. In fact, it sounds terrible. But I'd love to hear someone who has played a 3d action game on Wii U (Musou? Monster Hunter?) chime in.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:41:21 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #6739 on: June 19, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
How is that funny at all? Especially coming from you?

Himu, when you said you were going to try and troll me more I probably took it a bit too seriously. The best you're capable of is trolling yourself.

Himu

« Reply #6740 on: June 19, 2014, 11:49:41 PM »
God. Please stop posting
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6741 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »
Of course Andy's fine with it. anyone with a non-partisan view?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #6742 on: June 19, 2014, 11:56:40 PM »
I haven't minded any of the systems or controllers I've played MH on.

Tri + Wii Classic Controller Pro = Great
3U + 3DS Circle Pad/Touchscreen = Not Bad
3U + Wii U GamePad = Decent
3U + Wii U Pro Controller = Great

Going from the CC Pro, what was at the time my pick for most ergonomic controller since the GC, to the Pro Controller wasn't difficult at all. I didn't even have to think, really. I tried going back to the CC Pro, and that was a little messier. The sticks REALLY jut out on that thing, and I didn't realize until I used the Pro Controller for a period of time. The CC Pro being so light is a blessing and a curse, I love how the Pro Controller feels in-hand but a lighter controller makes for better long play sessions. But it's a non-issue since rumble and true wireless are easily, easily worth the extra weight.

Also dat battery life. 80 fuckins hours on the Pro Controller. Just holy shit.

I feel like camera control is easier on the Pro Controller, and in MH when you need to move the camera you really need to move it so it's nice having it right there. Some attacks and combos are a bit less nice to pull off, but you get used to it.

Edit- Some people swear by the Wiimote and Nunchuk for Tri but I couldn't switch from it fast enough. Tried putting in two missions with it and the waggle was almost unbearable.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:59:38 PM by Tasty Meat »

Himu

« Reply #6743 on: June 19, 2014, 11:58:01 PM »
As for dpad being moved, that never bothered me. Dpad being moved doesn't really change how the controls of a game is played. Right stick gets a lot of use in 3d games, but so do face buttons, so the comparison makes no sense. More than that, upon choosing new controller designs, neither Sony nor Microsoft - the two hardware makers who have WAY more games of the type you're talking about - continued with right sticks being below face buttons. Only Nintendo has done this. Thus, logically, it has to be a case of Nintendo trying to be a special snowflake in their game controllers.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6744 on: June 20, 2014, 12:20:32 AM »
Fine. I express an opinion and every time I do, you have to tell me why I'm wrong and you're talking about me being talking to a wall? The entire discussion you have waved away every rebuttal I've made. I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just trying to say how I feel. I have always taken your opinions with high esteem and regard, and you've made it clear you do not do the same for me.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #6745 on: June 20, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #6747 on: June 20, 2014, 12:27:22 AM »
:lol

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #6748 on: June 20, 2014, 02:14:28 AM »
what the fuck happened in here. :beli

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6749 on: June 20, 2014, 02:24:21 AM »
what the fuck happened in here. :beli
Another Rahxephon level argument.

Damian79

« Reply #6750 on: June 20, 2014, 03:02:24 AM »
It seems Nintendo screwed the pro controller.  While i dont understand why the closeness of of the dpad and buttons is an issue, since i never had a problem using 2 analogs there, i can see how holding down 3 buttons(yba) can be difficult long term as the thumb would be in a lateral postion.  I will have to buy a wii u to see though.

huckleberry

« Reply #6751 on: June 20, 2014, 05:40:46 AM »
http://www.gamevice.com

(Image removed from quote.)

Another $100 ios controller that noone will buy...why the fuck do these companies have to price these things so high?
wub

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6752 on: June 20, 2014, 07:01:09 AM »
Millions of people bought that Wii controller for 399 so there must be a market

huckleberry

« Reply #6753 on: June 20, 2014, 07:09:48 AM »
I hope so....would love to see a legit controller addon catch on so the prices will go down on them. The companies that make these things just price them too high and Apple seems to take too much of a hands off approach with the entire idea.
wub

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #6754 on: June 20, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »
I dont think apple really wants this, they are bringing in trucks of money now because anyone can play touch games. SIMPLE SHIT. thats their motto.

huckleberry

« Reply #6755 on: June 20, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »
You think they are the ones dictating the pricing on these things? That sucks even more.
wub

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
The real problem with the Wii u pro is that it doesn't have a fucking headphone jack

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Fun fact: Two decorated Bore members were partially responsible for NPD's crackdown on the old leaks...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117767489&postcount=3888
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4809086&postcount=1

Good jon, guys.

Unzip

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Fun fact: Two decorated Bore members were partially responsible for NPD's crackdown on the old leaks...

Good jon, guys.

Can't read, needs a login - cliffs?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.

Good jon, guys.

"It will be legendary" - Oblivion, Gaf
©ZH

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist

- 2006, Oct's NPD, People are super hyped
- Oblivion comes up with a tagline for the month's NPD
- Joe Molotov provides a movie trailer script for the month's NPD
- A third person creates a couple of movie posters for the month's NPD
- A fourth person produces an actual trailer using the material, uploads it to youtube (currently unavailable)
- Someone decides the series of events were so funny it should be recapped in its own thread
- NPD group takes notice of the thread, is not happy, takes action
Unzip

Himu

Can this thread please be stickied? Have no way else to find it when rumbler gives it thread titles like this
IYKYK

Himu

:bow JOE
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
emandematics  ???
QED

Himu

Exactly.
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Could we put the word "sales" in the thread title? Maybe? Anybody? Bueller?
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Next-Gen Sales Thread |OT| We already sold all the sales. Sorry.
« Reply #6769 on: July 13, 2014, 01:35:42 PM »
Seeing as we've passed beyond the candy bar phase of this thread, a new name is indeed warranted.
dog

Pringo

« Reply #6770 on: July 17, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »
July NPD is up.

Overall retail sales were up 24% year over year.
Hardware sales were up 106% year over year.
Software sales were down 3% year over year.

Software:

1. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
4. UFC (PS4, Xbox One)
5. FIFA 14 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
6. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
8. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
9. Tomodachi Life (3DS)
10. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)

Notes:
-Tomodachi Life: 175K (retail + digital)
-"Xbox adds that XB1 and 360 'combined sold the most games across all console platforms.' #NPD"
-Mario Kart: 470K (physical + digital, 885K LTD)

Hardware:

PS4: #1 best selling
3DS: 150K (up 55% over May, was 225K last June)
Wii U: ~140K (up 233% over last June)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857224

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #6771 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:59 PM »

oscar this seem legit?
dur

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #6772 on: July 18, 2014, 12:43:11 AM »
It was leaked on chartzzz' forums by being linked from another source. That source has since been censored on GAF (by users) for protection.

I haven't figured out what it was yet though. Can't be bothered to lurk in Zzz too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:47:36 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #6773 on: July 18, 2014, 12:49:24 AM »
holy crap, those handheld numbers.

and I'm presuming the lions share of 'other' consoles would be Ouya (because what else is really out there).  Which had its national retail debut in June of 13 (accounts for last year's numbers), and makes for its horrendously lousy showing this year.

I hate watching the industry go down like this (logs on back to Steam).

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #6774 on: July 18, 2014, 12:51:12 AM »
Re: Leak

"Gamecrate's owned by newegg I guess."
Unzip

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6775 on: July 18, 2014, 04:40:18 AM »
looks legit to me
itm

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #6776 on: July 18, 2014, 04:55:50 AM »
Now, this is a story all about how
My gaming habits got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I came to buy everything on my iPad Air

On Nintendo NES I was born and raised
Kicking it with Mario was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some Duck Hunt after school
When Evil Sony who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my childhood
I got in one little taste and I wasn't prepared
For when things would turn to worse with the iPad Air

I begged and pleaded with Ken day after day
But he packed his suit case and went on his way
He gave me a kiss and then he pulled out his ticket
He put on his Discman on and said, 'I might as well kick it'.

First class, yo this is bad
Playing Bru Ray movies on this old tube of glass.
Is this what Kens future vision was like?
Hmmmmm this might be alright.

But wait I hear it's prissy, bourgeois, all that
Is this the type of place that Ken was hinting at?
I don't think so
I'll see when I get there
I wasn't prepared for the curse of iPad Air

Well,shit happened and when the iPhone came out
There was a dude who looked like a hippy standing there with my name out
I ain't trying to be a mactard yet
I just got here
I sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared

I whistled for Playstation and when it came near
The license plate said wack and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought 'Nah, forget it' - 'Yo, lets get an iPad Air'

The store clerk said it was the 7 or 8
And I yelled to the Playstation 'Yo homes smell ya later'
I looked at my kingdom
I was finally there
To sit on my throne and play on my iPad Air
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:59:33 AM by Premium Lager »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #6777 on: July 18, 2014, 04:56:06 AM »
Now I should get back to work for reals

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #6778 on: July 18, 2014, 09:41:27 AM »
holy crap, those handheld numbers.

and I'm presuming the lions share of 'other' consoles would be Ouya (because what else is really out there).  Which had its national retail debut in June of 13 (accounts for last year's numbers), and makes for its horrendously lousy showing this year.

I hate watching the industry go down like this (logs on back to Steam).

Ps2

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6779 on: July 20, 2014, 11:18:35 PM »
Day One edition Xbones still on Amazon.com what a flop of a system  :lol :lol :lol
USA