Author Topic: The Game Crowdfunding Thread  (Read 291812 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
The Game Crowdfunding Thread
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »
So it looks like everybody is now trying to get their hands on free money after Double Fine.

Wasteland

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218794p1.html

Chris Avellone,

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/10/doublefines-happy-day-gives-planescape-dev-kickstarter-fever/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 05:07:38 PM by Stoney Mason »

Bebpo

Re: Kickstarter mania aka Give me your money plebes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
Obsidian doing an old school infinity engine crpg is one of the few situations that would share similarities to Schafer's kickstarter.  Same concept:  Old classic genre that's been ignored by modern games and that you can make for relatively cheap because the production values aren't the main point (as evidenced by the indie devs who make games in the genre, like with the PnC adventure games).

If some of the really good talent at Obsidian was willing to create a fully fleshed out 30-100 hour game world design with an elaborate script and hundreds of quests like the IE games, and then create that using minimal assets in a isometric zoomed out view on a 2 million dollar budget with a 1 million of it kickstarted by the fans...I think it could work.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:15:06 PM »
The game you just described is more than a 2 million dollar game.

Not if they use an established, proven toolchain!
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:15:56 PM »
I'm down for more of this kind of fan-supported game development, but, yeah, bebpo's idea would cost a lot more than $2 million.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:15:56 PM »
The problem I see is that graphic adventures or iphone style apps are a unique beast. You really can do those on the cheap because they tend to be really limited in scope. But once people start talking about games that are dozens of hours long and increase in scope, that budget is quickly going to start being eaten away at. It's why most indie games are the scope that they are.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
Also: Spiderweb Software says "hi!" and "why are you ignoring meeeeeeee"
乱学者

Timber

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 05:32:49 PM »
Yeah I was gonna say, Jeff Vogel has been making these things at a steady pace for a long time now. Still, doesn't that kinda prove that big isometric RPGs don't necessitate a 2mil+ budget?
w/e

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »
Yeah I was gonna say, Jeff Vogel has been making these things at a steady pace for a long time now. Still, doesn't that kinda prove that big isometric RPGs don't necessitate a 2mil+ budget?

Bebpo's asking for a new Fallout/Planescape: Torment/Baldur's Gate, which would almost certainly cost more than $2 million.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »
I think these types of products hit a very small but vocal and grown up niche. So more power to them if they can deliver these kind of experiences to the groups of people who want them on time and on budget. I think alot of people are going to jump into this type of stuff and fail miserably. But that's always been the case with game development.

I also think its much harder than people think to create a modern game that has the depth or charm of certain older games without being completely alienating.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »

No, but an Infinity Engine style game - with the art, animation, VO, QA, and localization that implies - would cost in the neighborhood of $4-5 million, even doing it on the cheap and calling in a favor with Nolan North
乱学者

Timber

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
"Minimal assets" doesn't exactly describe the Infinity Engine games.

Is making something like Fallout 2 feasible with a budget of 2 mil?
w/e

Bebpo

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »
If it's a 5 million dollar project, then make it episodic and kickstart ep1.  Then if it sells well use the profits to fund the next 2-3 eps to finish the story.

Bebpo's asking for a new Fallout/Planescape: Torment/Baldur's Gate, which would almost certainly cost more than $2 million.

No, I'm asking for Eschalon Book 1, Geneforge with better writers/game designers on board.

I doubt the budget on those games are 2 million.  Hell if you gave me a year I could make a 30 hour isometric crpg, but the writing would be awful and the gameplay would be terrible because I don't do either of those professionally! 

Himu

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »
I love infinity engine games but why the fuck would you want a new one in 2012?
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
Because they still trounce 90% of rpgs made today?

Himu

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »
Why not just make a new isometric rpg instead of clinging to a decade old engine?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »
They could use the Aurora engine or whatever it was called from Neverwinter Nights 2 (which was like a 3D version of the Infinity Engine) and it would be all good.
©@©™

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
If it's a 5 million dollar project, then make it episodic and kickstart ep1.  Then if it sells well use the profits to fund the next 2-3 eps to finish the story.

5 million dollars total, raise 2 million for the first episode... huh. I found a bug in your business model.
乱学者

Bebpo

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »
Why not just make a new isometric rpg instead of clinging to a decade old engine?

I never said it had to be IE!  I just said make an isometric zoomed out crpg so you can make PS1 level textures/models and they'll still look fine, thus keeping the budget down.

Timber

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »
I just said make an isometric zoomed out crpg so you can make PS1 level textures/models and they'll still look fine,

Have you seen a PS1 texture lately?  :yuck
w/e

Himu

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 06:41:39 PM »
just play dragon age
IYKYK

Timber

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
I don't know why I'm even mentioning the two million dollaz because I don't think such figures will be attainable after this. Double Fine got there first and they're reaping the rewards and I'm happy for them (and for myself), but the sheen and hype will wear off eventually and we should propably temper our expectations a bit.
w/e

Himu

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
compared to the competition, dragon age was pretty fleshed out. sad, I know.
IYKYK

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »

5 million dollars total, raise 2 million for the first episode... huh. I found a bug in your business model.

Yeah I thought non Telltale episodic games were proven failures years ago.
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 07:06:32 PM »
What.  Telltale's episodic adventure games did well for them.  It's why they got bigger and made more and more and then eventually got these big licenses which they're falling apart because they can't handle.

Sin...wellll, who really wanted another SiN game?

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
sin episodes was good actually
萌え~

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »
Incorrect usage of a plural word.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 08:31:32 PM »
That's ok.  If I was a billionaire I'd give all my money to Obsidian to make more rpgs of the caliber of Alpha Protocol and New Vegas.

cool breeze

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »
random question:  how much did games cost to make in the PS1/N64 days, adjusted for today; same assy graphics and all.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
random question:  how much did games cost to make in the PS1/N64 days, adjusted for today; same assy graphics and all.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Tim-Schafer-Compares-Past-Video-Game-Budgets-Current-Budgets-39474.html

Videogame budgets just aren't mentioned very often, unless they're insanely huge [Shemue].
dog

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
Mazzy Star wanted BIG bUX for that spot
o_0

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 10:53:35 PM »
Gears of War 2 cost about $12 million [according to Tim Sweeney], but, yeah, $10 million for the first game [and the engine] seems really low.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »
if Gears of War cost a penny under $25 million I will eat Cole's hat
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
The number just kinda comes out of nowhere in that article and they don't say where it came from. All the other numbers came from Tim Schafer, who worked on the games in question so presumably he'd know how much they cost.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 12:04:14 AM »
The article actually says the $10 million includes the cost of the engine, which makes no sense considering what you said.
dog

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 12:06:37 AM »
Yeah no fucking way Gears cost $10 Million. Maybe it was $10 million in expenses at Epic, but that game alone had a $25 million advertising budget iirc
USA

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 12:08:42 AM »
Advertising isn't really important for the purposes of this conversation, though.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »
No one is talking about the marketing budget dumb ass. Just dev costs.

And yeah I agree with Billy. I don't believe them. I think they combined engine costs with production costs.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 12:11:36 AM »
I think they combined engine costs with production costs.

I think you mean "shuffled production costs over to engine costs and then bragged about how thrifty they were."
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 12:15:09 AM »
I think they combined engine costs with production costs.

I think you mean "shuffled production costs over to engine costs and then bragged about how thrifty they were."

Yeah that. I'm sleepy.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 01:33:02 AM »
Gears of War DID NOT HAVE A WORKING BUDGET OF 10 MILLION DOLLARS :maf
The article actually says the $10 million includes the cost of the engine, which makes no sense considering what you said.
It includes their legitimate "license"/use of the engine but not the work which went into the engine, which itself is significantly more costly than $10M.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 06:14:32 AM »
Gears of War DID NOT HAVE A WORKING BUDGET OF 10 MILLION DOLLARS :maf
It includes their legitimate "license"/use of the engine but not the work which went into the engine, which itself is significantly more costly than $10M.
How much UE3 licence costs?
about $1 million?

Speaking of budgets,1UP has some article
http://www.1up.com/news/why-game-budgets-secretive

copy paste from gaf

Don James, Nintendo
"Well in the game industry, the budget evolves. When you go into the movie industry, as I understand it, you kind of set a budget, and you're either over budget, or you're under budget, or you hit your budget. In the game industry, because it's an interactive environment and you have to continually work on the game until you get it right, until you feel it's good enough for release -- it's not too hard, it's not too easy, it's not too frustrating -- your budget's going to float around. So I think that's the reason why they don't come up."

Mike Capps, Epic Games
"I think you see a little bit more us thinking that way, because you're wanting to create the phenomenon. And you get that with an Avatar by saying how much you spent. For us, game budget in many respects in the game industry has always been the size of the E3 booth. That's always been the way you show that the publisher's really behind this title, because 'check this big booth.' So that was kind of the way we did that in the past, but I think it's got to change."

Randy Pitchford, Gearbox Software
"I think the distance between the shareholders who are publicly trading the shares of these businesses that are making videogames -- that distance between the shareholders and the decision making is really short. You know, most of the movie studios are part of larger conglomerates, and it's part of a wider network, so I think the idea of fiscal information becomes a very precious commodity to these guys, so they get nervous about talking about it. I don't care. I'll talk about stuff...

[1UP: What does Borderlands 2 cost?]

I think by the time all is said and done, we're somewhere in the 30-35 million dollar range. We're still going, so we'll see what happens, but yeah the publisher took a lot of risk in that. What's neat about this is because I take my own risk too, nobody gets to know how much Take-Two risked on that."

Tomonobu Itagaki, Valhalla Game Studios
"It's not cool to reveal such information. That's all."

Todd Howard, Bethesda
"I would just give you my own opinion on why I wouldn't want to. This isn't like corporate policy or why anybody else does it. I don't want you to change your expectation of Skyrim with that number. I want you to look at it as, 'It's 60 bucks, the rest of these games are 60 bucks, how do you feel about what we gave you.' It doesn't matter what we spent, and I don't want that to flavor what anybody thinks about the game."

Tim Sweeney, Epic Games
"Well geez. Epic has always been a very lean and mean company, so we've been fairly open about our budgets. I think a lot of companies have been applying brute force methods to game development, and I think they end up with a budget that in many cases might be considered embarrassing... We've generally said that the first Gears of War cost somewhere between 10 and 12 million dollars to develop. I couldn't tell you the most recent numbers with Gears of War 3 -- it's a significantly larger number because we had a bigger team working for a longer period of time."
cat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 08:15:08 AM »
can you imagine how many "where is the game/i paid good money/i feel ripped off" emails are gonna start flying when the games don't magically appear 3 months later
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »
How much UE3 licence costs?
about $1 million?

There are probably a couple models, and the terms are likely negotiable depending on the position of the developer. There is probably a buy once model which is a large up-front fee, and many middleware vendors are offering a "use for free, pay us a percentage" model.

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
can you imagine how many "where is the game/i paid good money/i feel ripped off" emails are gonna start flying when the games don't magically appear 3 months later
Maybe. However, do you think a lot of the goodwill donations are going to be coming from the group that approaches every game with an "I'll wait for used copies/bomba bargain bin/Steam sale/whatever" attitude?

Obviously, there's going to be some uproar if/when the dev throws in the towel or produces a clearly awful product. However, my gut feeling is that the people chipping in will probably be slightly more open-minded than the standard consumer about the implications of pre-ordering this early.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
I think GAF skews my opinion of gamers in general. Forums tend to skew towards mouthbreathers in the first place. It's human nature to bitch about what's wrong instead of talking about what you like. Which is my biggest issue with GAF and most forums in the first place. So yeah I can guarantee there will be bitching when the games comes out no matter what over there.

We'll see how this Kickstarter thing goes. I'm still skeptical of the idea that lots of people will be willing to do this for lots of companies. I think double fine holds a fairly unique position in this regard.

Hell I kicked in 15 bucks and I did it mainly just to support them and the concept rather than to even get the game

Himu

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
i think this is really cool and i don't understand why people have such a huge problem with it.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
I don't think most people have a problem with it. I think anything different attracts skeptical people and people who like to rubberneck.

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
Yeah. I'm skeptical that this will be a long-term success that any significant number of developers will be able to tap into. However, I've heard of similar ideas in the past. Gabe Newell was talking about this like three years ago. I wasn't sold then, and I'm still not now. However, I like the theory surrounding it. I'd be interested to see at least a moderate degree of success from this, as I'd love to see more developers out there encouraged to try and make full-fledged products that don't aim to have AAA-production values and mass market appeal.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 10:24:12 AM »
Double Fine kickstarter hit three million and will be ending in about 9 hours.

Now we'll see if people with lesser known or spotty backgrounds gain any traction or if double fine is a very specific aberration

Kickstarter for Wasteland.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2?ref=live

Kickstarted for an old style Ghost recon game
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

Neither are off to blazing starts although I guess the Wasteland one just started.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:33:33 AM by Stoney Mason »

Bebpo

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »
The problem with Wasteland is the amount of people who played the original and have nostalgia for the series is a very, very, small niche.  I'm 30, been playing games all my life, and it's still before my time.  I had heard of it, but being born in '81 when it came out in '88, I wasn't going to be playing a hardcore deep wrpg at age 7.  It's the DCharlie's and Chronovore's of the world who grew up on Wasteland and have the nostalgia to back something like this, and I just don't see the numbers being there.

Much easier to play on mid/late 90s nostalgia, since that was a great era of gaming and lots of people had gotten into the hobby by then and many of those people still game.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
The Wasteland one is at 150K now which is at a pretty fast pace.

Bebpo

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »
May have to eat crow on this one.  Which is fine as get a new old school rpg out of it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 01:52:30 PM »

Now at 235k.

I'd really love to see this one get funded.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:30:59 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »
May have to eat crow on this one.  Which is fine as get a new old school rpg out of it.

I'm with you - had my doubts, funded anyways, may be pleasantly surprised. Also, I had no idea that inExile was based in Newport Beach - we should stop by and say 'ello!
乱学者

Stoney Mason

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »

Now at 230k.

Yeah once the gaming media gets ahold of the story and starts promoting it, it will almost certainly get funded at this pace.

I'm more skeptical here of the dev team but whatever. Its nice to have an old school rpg in the works. And its honestly probably the right model for these niche style products to get funded.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »

Now at 230k.

I'm more skeptical here of the dev team but whatever.

Some of these guys have been out of it for a while, yeah, and Brian Fargo hasn't done much since Interplay except for the mediocre Bard's Tale reboot and Hunted: The Demon Forge. A small, focused project done by a small team might be the best thing for them, though.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
you guys think kickstarter will ever support games with budgets of around $20 million?

It would have to be something really epic.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »
For instance I wouldn't give a dime to the Wasteland people based on what they say.  I bet they go over budget pretty quickly.

Yeah, I supported it, but I'm fully expecting a trainwreck. Even with off-the-shelf engines and simplified graphics, NO WAY you make a Wasteland-sized game in a year for $900k. NO WAY.
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
Late-80's pixel graphics or bust.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon