Author Topic: The Game Crowdfunding Thread  (Read 291815 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Kickstarter mania aka Give me your money plebes
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »
Meh, the Millionare's game sounds better.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to give anything to wasteland.  I feel like I may never get my $15 back.

The main problem with the Wasteland 2 one is that it's a bunch of old game creators, who haven't done anything in forever, who are going to huddle around with a million bucks and create a great epic rpg again.  Nice in theory, but I've seen way too many times where a 90s creator has tried to get back into game development only to be terrible and out of touch with modern gaming.  Case in point, when the guy who made this (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_under_a_killing_moon), comes back and makes this (http://www.bigfinishgames.com/).

At least with Double Fine it was a modern development team that has been making yearly games on modern hardware and has shown some talent across their recent titles.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »
I like his video, at least.

I bought Bard's Tale iOS so I already gave him my $3 (it was on sale)
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »
At least with Double Fine it was a modern development team that has been making yearly games on modern hardware and has shown some talent across their recent titles.

No they haven't and you are dumb
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
That being said, of course they could make it for a million bucks.  It all depends on what they want to pay themselves.  If they take small salaries (50k a year) and it's like 10 guys, that's 500k.  Then some money for QA/distribution and you're done.

With 10 people and 1 year with nothing to do 40 hours a week but work on a indie rpg, I'm sure I could make one.  A few designers, 1 writer, 1 director, a handful of programmers, 1 sound guy, 1 composer.  Etc...graphically they should just grab an existing engine and work with it.

I honestly think you guys who are/have worked at the big million dollar production companies probably have a different view on the "cost" of making a small game, versus the indie guys making stuff like Super Meat Boy or Avadon or vvvvvvv or Sequence etc...from what I've read in interviews, most indie devs estimate the cost of their games from start to being on steam at around $200-400k total for a few person development team over a year or two.  1 million doesn't sound too far fetched for a top-down old school rpg with very little graphics.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:55:53 PM by Bebpo »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »
The main problem with the Wasteland 2 one is that it's a bunch of old game creators, who haven't done anything in forever, who are going to huddle around with a million bucks and create a great epic rpg again.  Nice in theory, but I've seen way too many times where a 90s creator has tried to get back into game development only to be terrible and out of touch with modern gaming.  Case in point, when the guy who made this (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_under_a_killing_moon), comes back and makes this (http://www.bigfinishgames.com/).

They're not trying to make a game that's in touch with modern gaming though...
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
I've wasted $15 on a meal from Applebee's before, soo...
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
You're way, way off.  First off, 10 people at 50k isn't 500,000 base cost, it's significantly more than that.  Secondly, the team required to QA a proper open world rpg is huge even if you outsource it.  What they are talking about isn't a "small" indy game.

How much do you think it cost to QA on the original Wasteland game?  What about Fallout 1?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 08:05:55 PM »
I've wasted $15 on a meal from Applebee's before, soo...

This game is perfect then for people like you with no taste
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
If QA is a major cost issue for small kickstarted games, then let the community beta test your game and do all the QA for you for free.  I'm sure there are hundreds of people willing to beta test it to be the first to play the new Wasteland game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »
And PD has taken dates to Olive Garden before.  Doesn't make this a good idea.

Yeah, but at least now I have an excuse not to go to Applebee's.

"Well, I would go, buuUUUUuuut I already spent my $15 on that new Wasteland game."

Then I sit at the house and play Fallout because there's no way Wasteland 2 is ever gonna get released.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »
I dunno, what did the Avadon guy do about QA on his early titles?  He was just one dude, I doubt he had magic money to outsource QA for $$$.  Yet he somehow managed and released his wrpg.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
Basically, you can make a Black Isle-sized game with 25 people in 2 years if they are in their early 20s and willing to kill themselves for $35k a year. And it will STILL cost $1.5 million and be an untested unplayable mess. This isn't a platformer or an adventure game; complexity of scaled exponentially, no matter how "simple" your assets. And like Cohen said, the "savings" of 2D art over simple PS1-level models is mostly imaginary.
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2012, 08:22:20 PM »
Bebpo, you can convince people to PLAY your beta for free, but that's sure as hell not QA.
乱学者

Bebpo

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
I don't suggest using 2d assets.  Use an engine with built in assets. 

Bebpo

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
Bebpo, you can convince people to PLAY your beta for free, but that's sure as hell not QA.

Even if they send in bug reports?

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2012, 08:25:15 PM »
That would test PARTS of the game. ::)
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »
BUG: This gun should be stronger
BUG: why cant I sleep with the barmaid??
BUG: Combat feels weird
BUG: This gun should SERIOUSLY be stronger
BUG: why isn't the game out yet fuck you I want my $15 back
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2012, 08:28:53 PM »
Steps: u met radscorpion and shute him and he runs away and stuck in rock
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »
BUG: I kill man, he has nice hat. I take his things, but no nice hat. Where is the nice hat of the man? How do I obtain?
乱学者

Bebpo

« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »
 :lol

Himu

« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
ahahahahaha
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2012, 09:14:11 PM »
This thread needs more Wasteland Dancin':

dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2012, 09:21:09 PM »
My only hope is that they hit the $1.5 million mark, which will allow them to make a mediocre game and actually release it
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »
Well, it's already over 420k, so that's certainly possible.
dog

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2012, 09:41:09 PM »
Kickstarter, where beloved classic game developers become hated villains for failing to deliver the impossible.
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »
Developer: Remember that totally awesome game from you were a kid? We'll make a totally awesome sequel if you pay us up front!"
Gamer: ZOMG TAKE MY MONIES!!!11!!!11!
*One Year Later*
Developer: Sorry, we couldn't do it. :(
Gamer: ZOMG I HATE YOU!!!11!!!11!
dog

Timber

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »
Borys I love you.
w/e

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2012, 11:07:03 AM »
The Wasteland 2 kickstarter is up to 612k, by the way.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2012, 11:13:50 AM »
Wait, since when do western RPGs even need to do QA? The fanbase seems to whitewash bugs and prop up games that are virtually unplayable without heavy user mods.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:17:38 AM by tiesto »
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
They should just crowdsource the entire development of the game, spend the $1 million on hookers and blow.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »
This thread needs more Wasteland Dancin':

Agreed.

乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2012, 11:35:48 AM »
I have a feeling the more money this kickstarter gets, the worse the final product will be.  Something about giving people enough rope.

give people enough rope, and they'll make an awesome rope animal?

I don't have any doubts about Double Fine's ability to deliver; not at $3.3 million and shipping 4 pieces of original IP last year. Brian Fargo? Er...
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »
Yeah, I meant Fargo.  Doublefine has a team that can ship games.  I think if Wasteland gets 1.5 million they will think we can make this game half again as big as we originally thought!  Not oh god we actually we actually have a chance to finish this game especially if we welsh on all the extras we promised people for some reson.

Yeah, Double Fine was never gonna make an adventure game for $400k, either. Maybe a 20-minute adventure game.

Promising scope creep right there in your Kickstarter isn't a good sign... Reality check incoming.
乱学者

Timber

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »
If there's anything at all about the Double Fine game that reminds me of Runaway, I will rampage.
w/e

cool breeze

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »
Holy shit I just read what they are promising:

Previous reward + COLLECTOR'S EDITION PREMIUM BOXED VERSION which of course contains map and instruction book. But additionally comes with Wasteland miniature, Wasteland 2 faction badge

Good luck with all that!

yeah, that's one of the problems Kickstarters are having.  the more extravagant prizes require some of that pool to produce.  So while the $15 tier's money goes into game (minus the % amazon and Kickstarter take), the people who donate $100 have a chunk of that to make these maps, boxes, instruction books, etc.  The kickstater person is still coming out a head, but when you see $900,000 raised, you have to take away the ~7%, plus the cost to produce all the bonus items, and then you're left with whatever to make the product.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
I really like this kickstarter shit and hope it will work out and cool games will be made for all niches well into the future.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2012, 01:26:35 AM »
I'm hopeful for the Wasteland 2 game but this is like wild west territory here. Also, as stated, the idea of community ideas being a part of the development is a scary one. There's already people calling out for marriage and dating scenarios in game. I mean, who are these people that want to deal with a relationship in game? FUCK.
:9

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:26 AM »
Already at $885,091 and still have 33 days to go. They will definitely hit way over what they were seeking even on the high end.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:28 AM »
There's already people calling out for marriage and dating scenarios in game. I mean, who are these people that want to deal with a relationship in game? FUCK.

Bioware fans?
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »
Hey, fuck Wasteland 2. It's time to fund YOUR WORLD: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/your-world

You have millions why not fund this project yourself?

I am an idea man, and what that means is I think of things and then hire people to make it a reality once I know it is something the people want. Can I build the game? No. Can I hire a great group of people who can build the game? Oh yes!

As an example is the pizza shop I own. I found a spot where there was a need near a college and sell the items the college student’s love and stay open the hours they wanted. It is running great. I am not there running the place. I had the idea, looked for the spot, set it up, and then hired people to do what is needed to make it happen and keep it going. This game is no different.

This dude is BATSHIT INSANE.

"I am an idea man"

...Whoop de fucking dooo. Ideas are like assholes. Everybody has at least one.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:30 AM »
Modern-day Rockefeller right here, folks.

Fake edit:

At the end of August, 2007, Ellwood "Bunky" Bartlett made headlines when he became the first openly Wiccan lottery winner of the MegaMillions jackpot. The media latched onto Bartlett almost immediately, in part because he's quite a colorful guy, and partly because he freely admitted he'd prayed to the gods for assistance before buying his ticket. Bartlett said he'd like to create an educational center with some of his winnings, and the press immediately assumed it would end up being some sort of "Hogwarts in Maryland." Bunky took some time to answer a few questions for us here at About.com, explaining what his vision is for a spiritual retreat (here's a hint: it's not Witch School), and discussiing responsibilities within the Pagan community.

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/contemporaryissues/a/Bartlett_Interv.htm

:rofl
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »
Wasteland kickstart hit 1 million. Fargo probably just now realizing he's on the hook for thousands of people, some of them rabid

Well, not a mistake yet. The money actually isn't taken until the actual kickstarts end.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:04 AM »
Or not:

dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
:bow

People already wondering if its gonna be 3D isometric, or 2D topdown. Is it random encounter based or like Fallout 1 and 2 but with a Wasteland D&D party system? Going to be an interesting game nonetheless considering this type of game would be considered 'indie' but not at this budget, obviously.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:34:02 AM by BlueTsunami »

Timber

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »
The skepticism from industry(ish?) dudes here is fair, but Fargo seems like a genuine guy and I'm still high enough off Double Fine glue that I'll put in some eurodollars.

Time to ask my mom for her creditcard again. Hell of 1990s payment methods  :piss2
w/e

Timber

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2012, 12:02:36 PM »
Oh my Amazon account is already tied to her card. I'll just blame it on eastern European e-thieves when all her money goes missing tomorrow.
w/e

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »
If Brian Fargo doesn't get stars in his eyes and attempt to make something insanely ambitious, I think he can make this work with a small, focused group. And he really does seem committed to making this happen, as he was willing to put up some of his own money if the Kickstarter didn't reach quite high enough.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »
Oh man I'm reading the design for Your World right now. Amazing.  I don't think you could pull that off with half a billion dollars (and I'm 100% serious  about that number).

It's a guy who knows nothing about videogame design talking about his dream game. And that guy is a multimillionaire WICCAN who got his fortune from the lottery, so expecting any kind of rational logic is a fool's errand.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »
Oh man I'm reading the design for Your World right now. Amazing.  I don't think you could pull that off with half a billion dollars (and I'm 100% serious  about that number).

"We may even do PVP 1 on 1 that uses an arcade stick and works like Fighting games."

just throwing that out there!
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »
Mage classes are: Mage, Steampunk, Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Rosicruicianest
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »
I don't think he's in any danger of accidentally living the dream before it crumbles.

His design doc is a LOT like the design docs I wrote in 5th grade:

"Ascended Master – This will be unlike anything you have ever played. You must master all 4 classes before you can begin this Class. You will be able to mix and match everything from the 4 classes and sub classes. You will be able to use 3 pets/companions at one time. You will gain Stealth and Rogue type abilities. You can become your own group at this point. If you think of the sub classes above as having a level 50 cap (which they don’t) you will be a level 800 before you can begin this class. Your life in game doesn’t end here. You will face creatures and other players that will challenge you to mix and match all of your skills in order to be victorious."

OH DUDE YOU ARE EVERY CLASS EVER AT ONCE! THAT IS SO TOTALLY SWEET!!!!

p.s. what's "game balance"
乱学者

Timber

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
Basically what I'm getting at here is that because I'll end up with a shitty job I hate because my dreams were crushed, I want him to have his dreams crushed too. But I want him to get the point where it feels like he's living the dream and then have it all crumble before him.

A noble ambition, really.
w/e

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »
"Patel, you're in charge of post level 800 content.  I have everything covered for the 799 levels before that."

maybe levels are like 5 minutes each
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
ship it
乱学者

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »
You can become your own group at this point.

newsfeed
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »
Brian Fargo talks about Kickstarter and Wasteland 2:

Will there be a way for fans to submit ideas on what they'd like to see in the game, or is the foundation already established?

We already have the forums up and will be using them primarily for the broad strokes, but if we see some clever specific ideas we will integrate them. Nothing is in stone yet and the fan input is key. Some people have raised concern that it will be a free-for-all, but my job is to act as the editor and help to harness the ideas and serve up the appropriate decisions. I have the writers and designers scoping out the locales and dialogue, but we will greatly rely on input for interface, combat system depth, and graphical tone. But once things are agreed we stay consistent with the consensus of direction. It is no different than when I used to make my producers create vision documents at Interplay, only this time the fans will sign off on the vision. On top of this we will open up gameplay for feedback to make sure we are hitting the right notes.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/kickstarting-the-future-of-game-publishing-an-interview-with-br/
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »
Good for them.

I don't trust them nearly enough to kick in any money on this so that's that for me. If its decent when it comes out I'll buy it then.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »
Good for them.

I don't trust them nearly enough to kick in any money on this so that's that for me. If its decent when it comes out I'll buy it then.

There aren't a lot of things that I'd chip in some money for, but a new 2D adventure game from the guys that made a lot of the LucasArts classics and a new party-based, oldschool RPG from the guys that made a lot of the Interplay/Black Isle classics are...well...probably the only two that I'd support sight-unseen.

If I was Brian Fargo I would be furiously hiring people right now and writing design docs not giving interviews or talking to fans.

It's still over a month before any of that fat cash gets anywhere near him.

And apparently he DOES have a lot of design documents already made up, from back when he was pitching the idea for a sequel to publishers.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
But wouldn't right now be the perfect time to talk to fans and do interviews, in this brief period where he has the attention of the entire industry?
dog