Author Topic: The Game Crowdfunding Thread  (Read 291820 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Kickstarter mania aka Give me your money plebes
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
If I was Brian Fargo I would be furiously hiring people right now and writing design docs not giving interviews or talking to fans.

Maybe Brian Fargo is an Ascended Master and has become his own group at this point. Lv. 800 Game Developer.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »
:omg
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »
If I was Brian Fargo I would be furiously hiring people right now and writing design docs not giving interviews or talking to fans.

Maybe Brian Fargo is an Ascended Master and has become his own group at this point. Lv. 800 Game Developer.

That...

乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2012, 04:50:51 PM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/your-world/posts

Updated with the crafting and professions system. I will be a Dungener! (sic)
乱学者

« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2012, 04:53:30 PM »
Rape Dumpster Technician and Olive Garden Manager need to be incorporated in.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »
13. Entertainer – This we are going to leave as a mystery. Let your mind wonder!

It's blatantly obvious that this is the hooker profession, which is absolutely the profession that I will play as. Maybe, like, a hooker-gardener.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »
It's so obvious! Were you not going to make a guild bank? Instead, make a guild bank. BOOM! L800 Ascended Game Designer indeed.
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2012, 06:48:18 PM »
"Instead of shipping Diablo III without PVP, you should ship Diablo III with PVP. That's just my idea - I'm the idea man. You all can figure out how to implement it."
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »
GZ: So in the Kickstarter, you were saying you were planning for six months of pre-development and 12 months of development, how far along would you say the game is now?

Brian Fargo: We were working on a lot of the storyline, and the character development and individual plot scenes, but to that extent, that work's been done.

http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/exclusive-interview-brian-fargo-talks-wasteland-2
dog

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
So how mad are fans going to be when none of these games ever get released?
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
So how mad are fans going to be when none of these games ever get released?

Oh, they'll get released, they'll just be half-finished and riddled with bugs.
dog

« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »
I have no doubt the Doublefine game will be released.  The others...

Yeah, Doublefine's game will come out. I have no faith in any other kickstarter'd game ever seeing the light of day.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
Developers using kickstarter to finance games does introduce a very interesting component: what happens when the developer under-delivers, or doesn't deliver at all. Customers have already paid for the game, under the explicit, contractual promise that they receive certain things after a set period of time [the game and any other promised goodies]. In a situation like that, it could get really, really messy.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »
the Kickstarter EULA indemnifies them; you are basically gambling with your money based on the trustworthiness of the Kickstartee. they are just a few months away from a big scam, though
乱学者

« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
Tons of games get greenlit and never come out. But now that fans are financing these things, you know just how butthurt entitled they'll be when "their game" doesn't come out regardess of any EULA.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
From what I can tell, Kickstarter won't directly intervene, but that doesn't necessarily mean that legal action can't be taken.

But even if that's not the case, these developers would basically be totally destroying their career and credibility if they didn't deliver. Hence "messy."
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »
maybe this realistic simulation of game development can result in game teams holding a second Kickstarter "so we can finish the project that so much money's already been put into"

welcome to the monkey house, gamers
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2012, 02:45:54 PM »
maybe this realistic simulation of game development can result in game teams holding a second Kickstarter "so we can finish the project that so much money's already been put into"

I could definitely see that happening, and it would be a total disaster. :lol

I really want Wasteland 2 to work out. For one thing, it's a game I really want to play and it's a kind of game that hardly anyone else is doing, at least not with any kind of budget. But Brian Fargo also comes across as being really passionate and excited about this project, a game that he's been trying to make for years and has already put years of work into but no publisher will even give him the time of day.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:48:06 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »
Does Fargo know how to hold to a budget? Does he understand finances? I don't see any of these devs scamming people, but I don't have a good feeling that they won't run out of money trying to go overboard.
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
I have no doubt the Doublefine game will be released.  The others...

Yeah, Doublefine's game will come out. I have no faith in any other kickstarter'd game ever seeing the light of day.

There's already screenshots bro, the game is practically finished.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/your-world/posts
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2012, 03:04:13 PM »
Does Fargo know how to hold to a budget? Does he understand finances? I don't see any of these devs scamming people, but I don't have a good feeling that they won't run out of money trying to go overboard.

Well, Brian Fargo was the head guy at Interplay for 17 years and has been the head guy at InXile for 10 years, whose main products were the Bard's Tale reboot in 2004 and more recently Hunted: The Demon's Forge. They've also done some smaller projects for iPhone, XBLA, and PSN. I haven't heard anything about Hunted having any development issues, though the end result apparently left something to be desired.

So...it's hard to say. Given his experience, he SHOULD know about that kind of thing, and I haven't come across anything specific that say he DOESN'T [like with certain other developers], but he's really been under the radar for a while.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2012, 12:22:04 AM »
DoubleFine's stuff will ship, and it will be what fans were hoping for: an old-school adventure game with humor, typical of Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer.

Everyone else, whooo, I can see all the success and trust built up with DoubleFine Adventure being squandered by twits pretty darned quickly. And then I don't see a lot more games being greenlit by crowdsourced funds.

Timber

« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »

AMAZING looking turn-based RPG from ex-Bioware folk has a Kickstarter now.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga

They're a ways into development already.
w/e

Bebpo

« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »
!!!

Apparently rumor is that tomorrow Chris Jones (Tex Murphy creator + main actor) is putting up a kickstarter to fund a new FMV Tex Murphy adventure game.

This one is interesting because Chris Jones has been talking for years about how he wanted to keep doing Tex Murphy FMV adventures but it wasn't financially doable (he had to do the final Tex Murphy story as a radio drama) so he had to make social games for years to pay his rent.  I could see him actually pulling this off if he got some cash from Kickstarter.  Can't imagine the production costs for an FMV adventure would be much higher than a decade ago with the readily available HD cameras and cheap effects guys everywhere.  Hell there are some indie adventure games (freeware!) that are FMV adventures.  Whether he still remembers how to make a good game, make good puzzles, write a decent script, ACT, etc... is who knows; could be hilariously lolz, but I would still fund that.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2012, 02:34:22 PM »
Now I need somebody to make a modern day version of Balance of Power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_Power_(video_game)

Bebpo

« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »

So this was basically a game they were making anyhow and then they saw the kickstarter craze and said "hey look, free money!"

I dunno how I feel about this.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
I arguably think that's a lot better. At least it was something somebody actively was working on and had passion for and was putting their ass on the line with. Rather than Fargo sitting in his basement writting fantasy wasteland design docs.

Bebpo

« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »
True, I don't think it's bad necessarily, but I don't think it's good either.  This is where the slippery slope stuff starts happening with people just taking your money because they see the opportunity to do so.

Part of the whole kickstarter-gaming thing was to make games that would never be created otherwise, actually happen.  If a game was already greenlit, being made, and would presumably find release....it becomes a kickstarter to improve the quality of the game through a larger budget, which is fine but it's different angle for sure and can get into some shady territory quickly since there's no real way to determine if the extra money was actually put to use or just pocketed.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:42 PM »
True, I don't think it's bad necessarily, but I don't think it's good either.  This is where the slippery slope stuff starts happening with people just taking your money because they see the opportunity to do so.

Part of the whole kickstarter-gaming thing was to make games that would never be created otherwise, actually happen.  If a game was already greenlit, being made, and would presumably find release....it becomes a kickstarter to improve the quality of the game through a larger budget, which is fine but it's different angle for sure and can get into some shady territory quickly since there's no real way to determine if the extra money was actually put to use or just pocketed.

But as long as you're getting a copy of the game, then it shouldn't be a big deal, right? I would only donate to a kickstarter that entitled me to the finished product.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2012, 02:57:46 PM »
You're paying for a copy of the game either way.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2012, 03:12:36 PM »
the difference is that you're buying the game based on its potential, faith in the talent, w/e.  you're also spending money long before it's ever a product. 

it's not kickstarter, but I like what wolfire games does with Overgrowth.  You preorder the game now and there's a new alpha every week or so to play.  so you get stuff like this:

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »
That's also pretty much what Notch did with Minecraft.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »
Yeah, for some types of games that's an incredibly good model.

Bebpo

« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2012, 04:33:06 PM »
And with the Overgrowth/Lugaru guy, I hope he actually makes a game out of this engine he's developing over all these years and the end product isn't just an engine with a sandbox environment and dudes to fight.  If he actually made a DMC style game with level design and good combat it could be really good. 

cool breeze

« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »
Lugaru was more than a sandbox environment.  You observed the enemies from afar and chose your approach; picking off enemies, saving the wolves for last, maybe for when you've taken a weapon off a weaker enemy.  And if you were fighting two enemies, the first guy might distract you while the other runs off to get help.  The actual combat mechanics are pretty simple.

It's hard to tell if Overgrowth will be much different.  Levels are more complex, denser and detailed, there's some platforming/free running, and stealth seems reworked.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2012, 10:17:50 PM »

Looks fabulous.

Bebpo

« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »
Chronovore, like the new avatar.  So happy!   :D

Bebpo

« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2012, 11:11:10 PM »
So I've been looking at the kickstarter for the Banner Saga to see if I want to chip in and my problem with the kickstarter is that it has no indication of estimated release period.  I kind of want to know if they're aiming for a 2012 release or 2013 one or beyond before I put down money for it.

Plus I dunno about the staff 2 artists and 1 programmer from Bioware's MMO isn't exactly the KoTOR ex-bioware team or anything.  Trailer looks mighty fine, so tempted to at least throw in $10.

Oh wait, it says estimated delivery of Nov 2012 when you select it.  Will give them $25 then.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »
Oh wait, it says estimated delivery of Nov 2012 when you select it.  Will give them $25 then.

Yeah, it says right there under each pledge level what the estimated delivery date is.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18:56 PM »
Also funded the tactical hardcore shooter game that's not going to get made for the principle.  Oh well.  $60k out of 200k with 12 days to go.....yeahhhh, good luck with that.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
Now this is something I'd be interested in kickstarting:

http://kotaku.com/5893552/five-dead-jrpgs-that-should-be-revived-on-kickstarter
^_^

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:46 AM »
Now this is something I'd be interested in kickstarting:

http://kotaku.com/5893552/five-dead-jrpgs-that-should-be-revived-on-kickstarter

i'd rather have a kickstart for bringing japanese release (*COFF COFF* SHIREN THE WANDERER 4 *COFF COFF* METAL MAX RELOADED) rather than for some phantom game instead
<----

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
I just want Suikoden and BoF ports on the PSP/Vita. Stupid Sony of America.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:20 AM »
Vic Ireland brought mention about a kickstarter to bring over a game... any insight on that Oscar
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:29 AM »
Vic Ireland brought mention about a kickstarter to bring over a game... any insight on that Oscar

I imagine a Kickstarter to localize a JRPG would be far more likely thing to see than a Kickstarter to actually DEVELOP a JRPG [which I expect never to see ever].
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:01 AM »

No idea.  Vic and I are on enormously bad terms, have been for a long, long while.  I would love to see him get into proper localization again, though.

Ooh, this sounds like an interesting story... any more details if you don't mind me asking?

Though I have the faintest feeling that the game Vic is interested in is Tengai Makyo: The Apocalypse IV for PSP. Vic is a major fan of the series and was originally gonna translate Tengai Makyo II: Manjimaru for the US Turbo Duo way back in the day, before the Turbo market bottomed out. He's made references to a "popular RPG series that has never come to America before"... and Tengai Makyo is the only one that I know of offhand that fits the bill.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2012, 01:34:20 AM »
why oh why did I click that link to Kotaku

Himu

« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2012, 02:44:05 AM »
Lmao at Suikoden kick start when the new one came out like 2 months ago
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2012, 03:30:42 AM »
lol at that list

Not getting the Suikoden and Lunar games you want has nothing to do with money... the original talent left, no amount of money is going to fix that.

and double  :lol at thinking money is going to motivate Itoi to make another Mother... yeah, he really needs the petty cash.
God, did they really just ask for Phantasy Star/BoF to be kickstarted? Do they think SEGA/Capcpmom are dirty poors? wtf is going on here. Why arent they researching the real reasons these games do not exist. Fucking Kotaku

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2012, 04:24:27 AM »
I know Rieko Kodama is still around, but Yuji Naka :/ That being said I'm sure SEGA could deliver a quality PSV with what they have now. Capcom I dont follow that much really (well not the BoF team since it's been so long). A kickstarter really wont do shit unless it raises like 20 million dollars or something though. There needs to be people inside SEGA/Capcom fighting and wanting to get these projects off the ground.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2012, 05:23:31 AM »
Poor Yuji Naka, I laugh at his probe shit as well. Yeah Rieko + Valkyria team could do wonders, I'd pay just about all I have to have them have a go at PSV and then at a later stage Skies 2.

It is very difficult yes, but something I hope to see in my lifetime. It makes me sad that the (imo) inferior series Final Fantasy stole so much of the accolades in the 90's

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2012, 05:28:11 AM »
I still just cannot get over how Kotaku is literally the most distinguished mentally-challenged gaming blog in the world today yet they are still huge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2012, 05:43:08 AM »
lets give the bore a front page, write distinguished mentally-challenged entries and spread it around the net for clicks

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2012, 05:45:23 AM »
tbh, a bore gaming blog could be pretty fucking funny. We could take turns with news and articles and shit.

If anyone is keen I can build and host this thing, and dish out a few usernames

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2012, 05:50:06 AM »
I'd be down I enjoy writing when I have time, I don't claim to be good at it however

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
Poor Yuji Naka, I laugh at his probe shit as well. Yeah Rieko + Valkyria team could do wonders, I'd pay just about all I have to have them have a go at PSV and then at a later stage Skies 2.

It is very difficult yes, but something I hope to see in my lifetime. It makes me sad that the (imo) inferior series Final Fantasy stole so much of the accolades in the 90's

Yeah I think if there was a kickstarter for an offline, turn-based PS5 with Kodama + Valkyria team... I'd take out a second mortgage. Ditto for a Skies 2... and I totally agree with you on that PS is so much better than FF.
^_^

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »
An interesting update from Fargo now that they're nearing 1.5 million...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/193810

specifically...

The development community has come together to support us in ways that I didn't think possible and our power as developers will ultimately come from us sticking together.  Both gamers and developers have so much more strength than they realize. But in order to help facilitate the power of crowd funding I am going to suggest that all of us that do utilize this form of financing agree to kickback 5% of our profits made from such projects to other Kickstarter developers. I am not suggesting taking a backers money and moving it to another project.. I mean once a game has shipped and created profit that we funnel that back into the community of developers to fund their dreams. I am tentatively calling this "Kick It Forward" and I will be the first to agree to it. In fact, I will have our artists create a badge that goes on all Kickstarter projects that agree to support this initiative. Imagine the potential if another Minecraft  comes along via Kickstarter and produces millions of dollars of investment into other developers. This economic payback will continue to grow the movement way beyond the current system. I hope others will join me with this idea and make this a true shakeup.

Let's get the power shifted around a bit!

Brian Fargo

The "Kick it Forward" initiative sounds fantastic. It seems like Fargo realizes this could be big and wishes to sustain the movement for a time or maybe indefinitely.
:9