Author Topic: Valve making a console...Steam press accounts mysteriously reapearing  (Read 36509 times)

Tasty

Re: Valve making a console
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2012, 11:39:52 PM »
I think Apple would be incredibly smart to put out a game console but never actually call it a game console. A product that's essentially an evolution of the ipad which itself is a stealth game console but isn't called a game console.

This.  Brand it the iLife or whatever, you can stream videos on it, load videos on it, and also dl shit via steam and play it on there.  One stop living room entertainment box that will finally do away with this lame multi-console reality we suffer from.

BRING ON OUR APPLE/GABE OVERLORDS

Google already did this, it's called Google TV. Full Market/Play and HTML5/Chrome game support. The Revue was a game console in everything but name.

Unfortunately Apple's reality distortion field will probably trick a bunch of rubes into buying whatever they put out, like they always do.

And it'll kill the Wii U just like the iPhone killed off the 3DS.

Yes, exactly like that.

As in, it hasn't happened and won't happen. I don't know why this is a point of contention. People play games, not hardware. They'll go where the games are. If Valve can moneyhat a whole slew of third party developers it might be an interesting venture, but I don't think that's what would happen.

Tasty

« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »
Fact- you're just jelly.  If Nintendo could inspire that sort of frothing demand for it's products, you'd just sit there and smugly tell us how awesome they were.  You're a really annoying little twerp.

I just don't like Apple. TBH I'm not that much of a Nintendo fan, nowadays. I like them, but you're off the mark if you ever think I would seriously ever say how awesome it is that Nintendo has blind cultists. I never said that even when I was a massive fanboy, even though it was true (as evidenced, by, well, my prior self.)

Glad to know you have a completely wrong interpretation of me in your head, though. It's an entertaining thought.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2012, 12:02:52 AM »
Probably.  People who like Nintendo genuinely enrage me, though.  I firmly believe that they're not good for videogames in general.  I usually try not to BELIEVE anything, either- if you can categorize ways to view things as believing, knowing or thinking then imo they're listed previously in ascending order of usefulness.  I guess there's just something about a console manufacturer that inspires idiot manchildren to assert that KIRBY AIR RIDE really gets going around hour 40 solely because they're running damage control on an online forum for their side in the console wars that I find unforgivably terrible, and in need of sterilization.
yar

« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:07 AM »
You are just hurting yourself.  And I ordinarily wouldn't care, but the empathetic embarrassment response I get is pretty annoying, especially because you don't seem to feel any at all.  Maybe you should start.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:15:20 AM by Owl-faced Wizard »
ǚ

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2012, 12:23:22 AM »
Probably.  People who like Nintendo genuinely enrage me, though.  I firmly believe that they're not good for videogames in general.  I usually try not to BELIEVE anything, either- if you can categorize ways to view things as believing, knowing or thinking then imo they're listed previously in ascending order of usefulness.  I guess there's just something about a console manufacturer that inspires idiot manchildren to assert that KIRBY AIR RIDE really gets going around hour 40 solely because they're running damage control on an online forum for their side in the console wars that I find unforgivably terrible, and in need of sterilization.

oh this is stupid man.  :lol

Nintendo can be sucky a lot of the times, but they've also happened to make some of the best video games in the last two console generations.  Their software teams are awesome.  Blame their awful corporate structure.
püp

Tasty

« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »
Probably.  People who like Nintendo genuinely enrage me, though.

I figured that's what this comes down to. Doesn't matter the degree to which I like Nintendo, you just group all of us together.

Can't be helped I guess, but I'd figure you'd have gotten to know me by now.

I firmly believe that they're not good for videogames in general.

I can't not respond to this in a way that won't spawn a three-page argument, so I'll say I think you're... probably wrong about that.

I guess there's just something about a console manufacturer that inspires idiot manchildren to assert that KIRBY AIR RIDE really gets going around hour 40 solely because they're running damage control on an online forum for their side in the console wars that I find unforgivably terrible, and in need of sterilization.

If you could find me a similar example of this on GAF, I might be a little more empathetic to your view. Otherwise it just sounds like you're making stuff up and spreading FUD about a fanbase that, for the most part, just enjoys playing Nintendo's games. The fact that they enjoy doing so is what enrages you and causes you to fabricate or hyperbolize things.

I don't doubt there are some real crazies out there, but I've never seen anything close to that Kirby Air Ride example personally. Back in my G4 days I might have been close, but I was easily the worst.

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ. Q.E.D.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2012, 12:29:03 AM »

oh this is stupid man.  :lol

Nintendo can be sucky a lot of the times, but they've also happened to make some of the best video games in the last two console generations.  Their software teams are awesome.  Blame their awful corporate structure.
Yep. Love some of their games, fucking hate their business practices. There's a reason long time gamer fucks wish they'd go third party. Imagine a Mario with current gen tech or even better a Zelda with an actual budget that didn't just recycle three cliched environments for 50 hours. :drool
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »
Yep. Love some of their games, fucking hate their business practices. There's a reason long time gamer fucks wish they'd go third party. Imagine a Mario with current gen tech or even better a Zelda with an actual budget that didn't just recycle three cliched environments for 50 hours. :drool

TBH they'd probably stick to handheld games, except for maybe the one-off Mario or Smash.

It's a neat idea to think about but I do appreciate that however misguided they may be, their hardware introductions generally at least keep things fresh. What a boring, stagnant industry if we just had PS3, 360, and PSP this gen. I imagine the developer bloodbath would have been even worse.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2012, 12:40:15 AM »
Nintendo's got some great teams, but too often, especially lately, corporate's just not really letting them do anything.
dog

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »
i don't give a 10th of a fuck about console wars and even i can tell you that for the past several years a good majority of nintendo fans countered any criticism perceived or real with that "it prints money" gif (or some variation thereof)
sup

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2012, 12:51:46 AM »
I like nintendo software. Hate Nintendo hardware and their policies and corpororate philosophies that limit the software that appears on their hardware. Therefore I no longer buy their hardware. Unfortunate but that's the way I feel.

cool breeze

« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2012, 12:53:27 AM »

Agreed, but I'll also add that I dislike its hardware.  Not talking about power either; more the overall cheapness.  It'd be great if people at Nintendo took a look at the Gameboy Micro and set that as its standard.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »
I'm just gonna say this about Nintendo, and maybe we can get back to talking about a potential valve/apple team up or an imaginary steambox.

For as long as I can remember, every single hardware decision they've made has been either archaic or gimmick driven, or in some cases both.  The fact that you (andrex) think waggle drove the industry in interesting new directions instead of that it was a pox on the realm demonstrates that you don't think right.  Online is a fad, but waggle is an interesting new direction for videogames to go in.  Sure.  Ok.  That kool aid must be awesome. 

And that is why Nintendo, and by relation their bigger, die hard fans are shitty for the industry.  Instead of moving forwards, you want to either take a step sideways into whimsy land or anchor your ass in last gen's assets and call it an exciting new direction.  You. are. bad. for. videogames.  Have a nice day.
yar

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2012, 12:59:24 AM »
consoles are bad for videogames, buy a video card you bastards
萌え~

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:09 AM »
consoles are bad for videogames, buy a video card you bastards

I LOVE YOU VIZ
yar

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2012, 01:01:50 AM »
I'm not really interested in a Valve or Apple console as I have a decent PC that's already hooked up to my TV, but whenever I can afford another iPad (sometime around 2035, from the looks of things) if Apple came out with a TV dock and a bluetooth controller I'd probably buy those in a heartbeat.
sup

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2012, 01:04:39 AM »
I don't own a nice tv, but one of my next purchases now that I've picked up more hours at work is gonna be a nice, bigger monitor for my pc. 
yar

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2012, 01:05:57 AM »
my tv's a 5 year old vizio

pretty much any lcd/plasma tv nowadays has pc inputs, even the dirt cheap walmart-specific hdtvs
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:44 AM »
My favorite part of the original steambox rumor was the controller valve patented.  Modular parts with trackball and trackpad options.  I can have comfy couch gaming and aim properly!

Tasty

« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:58 AM »
For as long as I can remember, every single hardware decision they've made has been either archaic or gimmick driven, or in some cases both.

Carts for DS was gimmick driven? The analog stick is archaic? Rumble is either?

The fact that you (andrex) think waggle

Waggle? No. And for most games, it was unfortunately out of place. It did lead to some very fresh gameplay experiences, though, but publisher mandates early on in the Wii's lifecycle really gave "motion control" (derogatory: waggle) a bad name.

Similarly, Kinect for the vast majority of games is useless, but as evidenced by Skyrim voice control has some interesting secondary applications. Like motion control and IR (two different things, mind.)

Online is a fad

Again putting words in my mouth and setting up this imaginary strawman Ninthing you think everybody who enjoys Nintendo's games must be like. Get over yourself and grow up.

And that is why Nintendo, and by relation their bigger, die hard fans are shitty for the industry.  Instead of moving forwards, you want to either take a step sideways into whimsy land or anchor your ass in last gen's assets and call it an exciting new direction.

I dare you to go into the Wii U speculation thread on GAF (a set of threads that even I stay away from, for sanity's sake) and find one poster, one poster saying it would be a good thing if Wii U was underpowered. There's your homework for tonight, kid.

Anybody who likes Nintendo's output (which, really, has actually been really good compared to Capcom, or Konami, or heck most of the Japanese gaming industry this gen) always wants to see them do their best when it comes to hardware. I remember Matt Casamassina, subject of ridicule the net over for his Nintendo worship, flip his shit when he found out Wii wasn't going to be HD.

We don't condone these decisions, we don't enjoy them. We live with them, and try to find the good in things. Like IR, without which we wouldn't have a couple of my favorite games, especially my favorite Sega game of all time The House of the Dead: Overkill.

You. are. bad. for. videogames.  Have a nice day.

I will, since none of what you said even remotely applies to me. But if the only way you can get your rocks off is flinging insults wildly in a random direction, be my guest. You just won't look very smart doing it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:08:54 AM by Andrex »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2012, 01:10:01 AM »
I like nintendo software. Hate Nintendo hardware and their policies and corpororate philosophies that limit the software that appears on their hardware. Therefore I no longer buy their hardware. Unfortunate but that's the way I feel.

I don't even really hate Nintendo hardware, itself.  The Gamecube and the Wii are really well-designed consoles, and incredibly efficient.  It's just that, yeah, the Wii is just fucking old.

I don't mind motion controls either, but I DO mind Nintendo's insistence that developers shoe-horn it in.  Same with 3D, but that seems to be an industry wide issue.
püp

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »
why would they need to money hat anyone?

Exactly, people need to realise that large third party exclusives are dead, a relic from another era. There's no benefit for third parties limiting their opportunities by tying themselves to one platform and no hardware manufacturer is ever again going to gain enough from the cost of securing one.

If companies cannot see the benefit of having their software on as many platforms as possible then they're not going to last very long.
itm

cool breeze

« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2012, 01:13:27 AM »
re: waggle

What I consider waggle is when a binary input is mapped to shaking the controller.  Pointer controls, which're great and briefly revived light and rail gun shooters, and are the preferred control option in sin and punishment 2, are another story.  Same with motion plus / PS move.

edit:  or even tilting in Kororinpa.  it's just that most games use waggle (lazily).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:15:18 AM by Linkzg »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2012, 01:13:57 AM »
It's hard for me to imagine a Mario on "current gen tech," just because my first thought is a bump-mapping Mario game.  But I'm sure that won't be the case.  Only thing I can think of with current gen tech is a bunch of zany shit happening everywhere.
püp

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »
I'm not really interested in a Valve or Apple console as I have a decent PC that's already hooked up to my TV, but whenever I can afford another iPad (sometime around 2035, from the looks of things) if Apple came out with a TV dock and a bluetooth controller I'd probably buy those in a heartbeat.

That's why i don't get the Apple tv set + console rumours. TV business is about low margins and has reached saturation. They could instantly own living rooms with some sort of docking station console without the need to invest so heavily in screens, as the hardware is already out there.
itm

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2012, 01:21:32 AM »
Nintendo would never make a NES Zelda ever again, no matter what hardware they had.  I love it but the reasons why I like it are basically fuck-offs to modern gamers at large.  The only thing Dark Souls and Zelda have in common are that neither coddle the player terribly much.

I don't even really like the NES Zeldas very much  :ninja
püp

« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2012, 01:55:18 AM »
ok lets talk about whats wrong with zelda now
ǚ

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2012, 02:01:28 AM »
ok lets talk about whats wrong with zelda now

I don't think there's much wrong with modern Zelda games.  I am firmly in the camp that thinks Twilight Princess was totally awesome.  Older Zeldas suffer from the limitations of the hardware and design mentalities of the era and are probably better remembered through the lens of nostalgia than trying to replay them.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2012, 02:04:39 AM »
Nintendo would never make a NES Zelda ever again, no matter what hardware they had.  I love it but the reasons why I like it are basically fuck-offs to modern gamers at large.  The only thing Dark Souls and Zelda have in common are that neither coddle the player terribly much.

the big thing is i've had talks with several Nintendo fans who bring this up and for some of them it's akin to giving Nintendo credit for something they had absolutely nothing to do with.

The feeling of adventure, the lack of handholding? Sure i can see that early Zelda's made you feel that way - but that's akin to pretty much any old school game.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Metroid.  Some of the things that lots of people (including myself) love about it are I'm sure just a happy byproduct of the limits of the tech/design choices of the time.
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2012, 02:20:11 AM »
barf, NES Metroid is even worse than NES Zelda.  Super Metroid and the Prime series is all I need.
püp

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2012, 06:33:55 AM »
there hasn't been a good nintendo game since the first super mario galaxy

FACT
<----

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2012, 08:13:20 AM »
shut up magoose
püp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »
no, he's right
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2012, 08:33:40 AM »
no, he's right

Pokemon HGSS and BW came out. ???

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »
also a quiz for borys
http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?t=35279

there have been plenty, especially considering we're working with magoose's standards here

oscar and andrex waggling under a tree

<----

Tasty

« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »
also a quiz for borys

I know which ones are about Twilight Princess, read IGN's review like four times before I played the game. :-\ Can probably guess most of the others, especially Skyward Sword, too.

Tasty

« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »
rhythm tengoku wagglefaggle

:lol

probably some pokefag shit

:maf

list of useful things magoose has done with his life since super mario galaxy:

fuck all, nada, shit all of nothing, can't think of anything really

:lol

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
also a quiz for borys

oscar and andrex waggling under a tree

erm, you're more of a wiitard than i am.  weren't you trumpeting about rhythm tengoku not that long ago?

anyway, thou hast invoked list wars and i shall oblige.  some good nintendo games post super mario galaxy the first:

new super mario bros wii, super mario galaxy 2, sin and punishment 2, xenoblade, rhythm tengoku wagglefaggle, the art style games, advance wars days of ruin, band brothers dx, rhythm tengoku inept stylus edition, bowser rpg, picross 3d, probably some pokefag shit, super mario 3d land, mario kart 7, pushmo

they are also the sole reason dq6 and dq9 got english releases.

list of useful things magoose has done with his life since super mario galaxy:

fuck all, nada, shit all of nothing, can't think of anything really

SHUT UP YOU ARE NOT MY FATHER *goes crying in his room* :'(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
aren't half of those titles just published by nintendo like xenoblade and sin & punishment 2? when i says nintendo sucks i mean nintendo EAD,and other than making lame version of zelda and mario they have done squat nothing,rhythm tengoku is probably the only title worth any damn... so fuck them! also you forgot donkey kong country return :maf
[close]
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
Monolith Soft is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nintendo.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »
Yeah Monolith and Retro are first party, heck they're more "Nintendo" than Game Freak is.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
oh i didn't forget donkey kong country returns.  i didn't forget it at all.
that thread

cool breeze

« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »
I really liked donkey kong country returns outside of those horrible rocket and railcar levels.  Surprised me since I actively disliked the donkey kong country series before it.  Jungle Beat is still the better game, but that didn't have 'country' in the title.

cool breeze

« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
there's a homebrew solution for using the classic controller on dkcr.  it just moves waggle to a button press.

I remember reading some line from Sakurai about how Miyamoto despised user options like customizing control and difficulty levels, something about how the game should be played one way.

and I would argue that mario and luigi 3 is pretty far from a good game.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »
that thread was about DKC1 and DKC2, both of which are some of the most hilariously beloved mediocre games of all-time.

dkcr would be fine if it didn't have idiotic waggle but nintendo
I never really got why people liked that game past the period it came out. Sure it has some great animations and a very striking looking game for the age, but everything else was meh. (I only played the game late in the 2000's)

there's a homebrew solution for using the classic controller on dkcr.  it just moves waggle to a button press.

I remember reading some line from Sakurai about how Miyamoto despised user options like customizing control and difficulty levels, something about how the game should be played one way.

and I would argue that mario and luigi 3 is pretty far from a good game.
senile old man

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
I really liked donkey kong country returns outside of those horrible rocket and railcar levels.  Surprised me since I actively disliked the donkey kong country series before it.  Jungle Beat is still the better game, but that didn't have 'country' in the title.

Yup, my thoughts exactly... was never a fan of the SNES DKC games (especially the first one... the most ham-fisted level design ever), but enjoyed DKC:R outside of the rocket/railcar levels and the "waggle to roll and blow stuff".
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
Oh good another DKC discussion. :-\

I'll always have a nostalgia-on for 2 but I think we can agree the games had great presentation (graphics for the time, music) but slightly off collision detection and character design that has not withstood the test of time. I also felt in terms of level gimmicks, DKC1 was very bland while DKC3 was really stupid most of the time; DKC2 stands out for having the most good ones (roller coasters, hopping on hot air balloons, etc.) These gimmicks were employed like the ones in NSMBW (which is why that game is also good) in that whole levels were dedicated to them, and they only lasted one level. Very little was repeated and I really appreciated that.

Returns was a pretty good game (aside from the obscenely stupid waggle), but something about it never clicked with me. It felt kind of boring and soulless for some reason. Maybe it's because the music was just there. It would be nearly impossible to surpass the original games but it could have been much better.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »

you don't like it oscar? DKCR is great,pisses all over new super mario bros in a way it can't be described,look at all this glorious shit

new super mario bros,ehy look you can waggle the torch on top of the boat :derp

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:27:25 PM by magus »
<----

Tasty

« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2012, 01:27:04 PM »

you don't like it oscar? DKCR is great,pisses all over new super mario bros in a way it can't be described

Except for level design, music, and controls (the waggle implementations are similar but works much, much better in NSMBW.)

If you mean the DS game, then yeah, that's almost DKC1 levels.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »

you don't like it oscar? DKCR is great,pisses all over new super mario bros in a way it can't be described

Except for level design, music, and controls (the waggle implementations are similar but works much, much better in NSMBW.)

ahahahahahahah

<----

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
If you guys are gonna fight for my amusement, please wait until I've finished making popcorn.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »

ahahahahahahah

(Image removed from quote.)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
I fucking loved DKCR, come at me bros
püp

Timber

« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »
Yup DKCR is amazing. Looks like it's decided.
w/e

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »
Why would Apple team up with Valve for a console and vice versa?  Apple would want iTunes on it and nothing else, Valve would want Steam on it and probably nothing else.  Apple wouldn't need Valve's games because all they need to do is make the thing and people will put games on it.  Basically, what would God want with a spaceship?

The thing is, Apple still thinks of itself as a hardware company. They want control of the hardware you're holding, and they will make some very slick software to make that hardware more desirable. Putting some variant of Steam on it, which is essentially a software layer, does not run counter to Apple's interests.

Or they may just be looking to hire Cook.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
Gabe Newell Says Valve-Apple Meeting Didn’t Happen

Apple CEO Tim Cook and Valve head Gabe Newell did not actually meet last week as rumored, according to a new podcast interview with Newell.

He squashed the week-old rumor in an interview with the fine folks at Seven Day Cooldown, who were kind enough to let us in on some early excerpts from the fascinating and far-ranging discussion with Newell. He didn't dodge the question:

We actually, we all sent mail to each other, going, "Who's Tim Cook meeting with? Is he meeting with you? I'm not meeting with Tim Cook." So we're... it's one of those rumors that was stated so factually that we were actually confused.

No one here was meeting with Tim Cook or with anybody at Apple that day. I wish we were! We have a long list of things we'd love to see Apple do to support games and gaming better. But no, we didn't meet with Tim Cook. He seems like a smart guy, but I've never actually met him.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
Games journalism strikes again!  Twice in the same thread, even.  Who actually needs to do any fact-checking these days?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles

Steam's Big Picture mode was just the first step: according to Valve boss Gabe Newell, you'll be able to buy a living-room-friendly PC package next year.

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

hmm

Sounds like a new console/entertainment box in the making.I guess it all depends how well it sells.

HL3 as a launch game?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:19:29 PM by maxy »
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »
Think it will be just a prefab pc, not what gaf expects.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2012, 02:39:35 PM »
I bought some snacks in preparation to read this thread again. Andrex's posts will be even more entertaining post WiiU launch

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2012, 02:50:31 PM »
Think it will be just a prefab pc, not what gaf expects.

Yeah,I think so too.

But it will be just one configuration and that could be a pretty big thing.PC has a pretty big api overhead-- Carmack said that in order to match consoles you need 4x-5x more powerful PC.

With just one configuration you could significantly lower that,the question is will Valve bother?
cat