Author Topic: Valve making a console...Steam press accounts mysteriously reapearing  (Read 36505 times)

cool breeze

Re: Valve making a console
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »
I agree with smooth groove that there are other reasons to like PC gaming besides superior visuals and performance.  Maybe not performance.  I'd gladly make games uglier than console versions to run smoother.  And that's the strength of pc gaming, imo.  It's all the options it allows for.  I can customize my controls, in some cases increase fov, disabled those start up movies, mod my games, play mod that're entirely new levels or games, and all that stuff.  There's also a huge library of games that never ends and constantly grows and actually gets better with time.  That's why I prefer PC gaming, at least.

And while I was negative (or critical/realistic/whateveR) on the last page, I'm interested in what this Valve htpc will be.  I'm still interested in external graphics cards and stuff like that too.  I wouldn't mind a time when I can have a compact laptop as my main computer, and then still enjoy the benefits of PC gaming when I come home.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
Didn't know you supported contract girls who dodge

It annoys me but I can't help it if they're hot.  Jessica Drake annoys me the most since she's been doing everything in the last few years but IR.  She arguably has bigger influence in the industry than any other female performer.  If she jumps onboard IR, lots of other top names will follow. 

Timber

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »
the hell
w/e

etiolate

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »
Seems like an attempt to further establish a generational standard with PC gaming and offer console gamers a gateway to PC gaming. This all assumes it will be priced at less than half of like an Alienware gaming rig.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2012, 04:46:54 AM »

I don't think this will be upgradable,at least not by Valve console Steam Box intended audience.If this thing takes off,future PC recommended requirements will look like

-xyz cpu,gpu,ram
-Steam box

Valve is a software company so there is one question

What does God need with a starship?
cat

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 05:51:29 AM »
dont make valve smite you maxy
萌え~

cool breeze

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »
valve's controller patent:

trackball and touch pad options :hyper

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
The Nintendo Steam U
dur

Tasty

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »
The Nintendo Steam U

Everyone rippin' off Nintendo, it's nothing new.

DUMB MACRO (2005):

FIVE YEARS LATER

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 12:52:13 AM »
^I lol'd

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 02:11:41 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I don't think this will be upgradable,at least not by Valve console Steam Box intended audience.If this thing takes off,future PC recommended requirements will look like

-xyz cpu,gpu,ram
-Steam box

Valve is a software company so there is one question

What does God need with a starship?

The vents look like some minimalist cross-stitch.  :undecided

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »
Shooting Down Rumors, Valve Says They’re Not Making a Game Console Any Time Soon
Delay those dreams of a Steam Box competing with a PlayStation, Xbox or Wii. Valve Software is not making a gaming console in the near future and that the various rumors swirling around don't add up to them making their own set-top box.
"We're prepping the Steam Big Picture Mode UI and getting ready to ship that, so we're building boxes to test that on," he said, referring to a new Steam interface that will make the online gaming service easily useable for people who want to play Steam games on a PC that's connected to their TV. "We're also doing a bunch of different experiments with biometric feedback and stuff like that, which we've talked about a fair amount.

"All of that is stuff that we're working on, but it's a long way from Valve shipping any sort of hardware."

Lombardi refused to flat-out say that Valve isn't working on a console. When I posted it to him this way—"What you're saying is, there's definitely nothing coming any time soon, nothing at GDC or E3, but what you're not ruling out is the possibility that, hey, maybe some day Valve would make hardware. "-he said, "I think that's accurate."

Rumors of an impending Steam Box have heated over the last week, since leading tech site The Verge reported that Valve was working on a console that it would develop in partnership with various hardware manufacturers, similar to Google's approach with the Android platform. Some of the evidence cited were patents for configurable controllers and rumors of an incorporation of Valve's public interest in tracking and reacting to player's biometrics into a Steam console. The Verge report also cited a hardware spec that turned out to match that of a PC built last fall by Valve's Greg Coomer. Could that have been a prototype, we had wondered?

"Greg's one of the guys leading the effort of the Big Picture mode," Lombardi said. "The idea is that you can take Steam to any display. What we're trying to do is say, 'here's a box that we're going to use for testing that's common for Big Picture mode and get performance at a base level.'... We're always putting boxes together. Going all the way back to the Half-Life 1 days, we built special boxes to test our software render… it's just part of development."

http://kotaku.com/5891697/shooting-down-rumors-valve-says-theyre-not-making-a-game-console-any-time-soon

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2012, 05:32:57 PM »
Typical terrible gamez jurnalizm reporting
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
With full acknowledgment that maybe one day Valve will make a gaming device or partner to make a steam branded PC, what people were talking with this simply didn't make sense outside of a certain niche kind of gamer hoping/wishing it to be true.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:31:27 PM by Stoney Mason »

Robo

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
Only just now saw this thread.  Swag me out, y'all.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=37684.msg1431955#msg1431955
obo

Robo

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2012, 02:39:35 PM »
I don't care about that, I said swag me out.
obo

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2012, 01:44:50 AM »
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/13/apple_ceo_tim_cook_spotted_at_valves_gaming_headquarters.html
Apple's chief executive Tim Cook reportedly visited the Bellevue, Washington headquarters of Valve Corporation earlier today, inciting questions about new potential for collaboration between the two companies.
cat

Tasty

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »
Awesome, Apple is potentially the only thing that would derail Valve enough for them not to be a competitive threat.

I can just see it now... the Valve Pippin.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/13/apple_ceo_tim_cook_spotted_at_valves_gaming_headquarters.html
Apple's chief executive Tim Cook reportedly visited the Bellevue, Washington headquarters of Valve Corporation earlier today, inciting questions about new potential for collaboration between the two companies.

*masturbates furiously*

Hey andrex, stfu and go to one of the gaming ghetto (nofriendo) threads.  This thread is for REAL GAMERS WHAT PLAY REAL GAMES.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2012, 02:05:28 AM »
But you're replying to a post about Apple. ???

Tasty

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2012, 02:08:08 AM »
The Valve Pippin.

$799 Wi-Fi, $899 3G (why do you need 3G in a home console? it's magic and revolutionary, that's why)
16 GB and 32 GB available! (what do you mean more space? just empty out dat fridge!)
Yearly product updates! (games don't work on models older than two years)
Completely locked down, for your own good! (graphics settings? what are these settings you speak of?)
All Angry Birds games available at launch! (and only those games)

Unfortunately it'd sell a billion in a day.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2012, 02:11:35 AM »
You sound sad, let me build you a fortress of solitude to cry in out of these tens of thousands of unsold 3ds units.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2012, 02:14:11 AM »
You sound sad, let me build you a fortress of solitude to cry in out of these tens of thousands of unsold 3ds units.

Can I have the keys to your TARDIS? Because you seem to be in 2011.

parallax

« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2012, 05:16:05 AM »
The Valve Pippin.

$799 Wi-Fi, $899 3G (why do you need 3G in a home console? it's magic and revolutionary, that's why)
16 GB and 32 GB available! (what do you mean more space? just empty out dat fridge!)
Completely locked down, for your own good! (graphics settings? what are these settings you speak of?)

i need to find that gif again. that had me rolling.

to be honest, i dont give a shit about the specs at the moment, but i do want to see what the potential controller looks like. that prototype pic listed above didnt do it for me though despite it being possibly fake and based on a 360 pad

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2012, 05:29:56 AM »
i don't care about valve or apple but i would love if someone came and made a console with uber-cheap games just to put some fire under the ass of everybody
<----

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2012, 05:48:56 AM »
i don't care about valve or apple but i would love if someone came and made a console with free games just to put some fire under the ass of everybody

Fixed.
cat

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2012, 06:15:30 AM »
Can I have the keys to your TARDIS? Because you seem to be in 2011.

yeah, come on guys, give the ntard a break - he's just about to enter 2006 with the Wii U - let him glimpse our past. I doubt it'll cause a space time issue as Iwatards have already accepted that living in the past is cool and awesome*

* cept for those 6 months they get "superior ports" - then it'll be amazing.

How is the PSP 3DS treating you Andrex? I remember when i was blown away by that tech way way back too. Ah... Mmmmeeeeemorrieees like the corners of myyyy miiiiiind, misty water coloured meeeemorieess of 8 year old tech.....

2011 - it must seem like a distant dream! We should maybe send back sports reports so we can make some money!

Still - you can always dry hump your bed whilst looking at financial report pdfs whilst actively celebrating being ripped off by the company you love. Go you! Plant that flag, you black satan jizzum swallowing fagulon.

"I am done with Iwata... next... send in MC HAMMER!"

The real tragedy of all of that is that I'm probably the only one who got the Bill Hicks riff at the end.

Well, that and people like Nintendo, but whatever.
yar

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »
Hard for the 3DS to be treating Andy to anything since he doesn't own one.
dur

archie4208

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »
The Valve Pippin.

Does it come with hats?  :drool

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2012, 08:27:47 AM »
I didn't realize Valve was in Bellevue - huh, they're like 10 blocks from my apartment in fact
QED

Tasty

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
yeah, come on guys, give the ntard a break - he's just about to enter 2006 with the Wii U - let him glimpse our past. I doubt it'll cause a space time issue as Iwatards have already accepted that living in the past is cool and awesome*

* cept for those 6 months they get "superior ports" - then it'll be amazing.

How is the PSP 3DS treating you Andrex? I remember when i was blown away by that tech way way back too. Ah... Mmmmeeeeemorrieees like the corners of myyyy miiiiiind, misty water coloured meeeemorieess of 8 year old tech.....

2011 - it must seem like a distant dream! We should maybe send back sports reports so we can make some money!

Still - you can always dry hump your bed whilst looking at financial report pdfs whilst actively celebrating being ripped off by the company you love. Go you! Plant that flag, you black satan jizzum swallowing fagulon.

"I am done with Iwata... next... send in MC HAMMER!"

Wh... what? ???

Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey.

yeah in terms of handing over money to big nintendo, dcharlie has got andrex beaten like andy's pikachu doll after a rough night of "training"

andrex - 0 3dseses
dcharlie - like goddam 900 3dses i think?

:lol

tsk tsk

it's a $150 - that's an evening down the docks with a sign and a tub of lard.

Hand over your flesh, Iwata demands it.

What was your first Nintendo machine, Andrex?

The first one I owned or the first one I played?

Tasty

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »

give us both

Played: SNES
Owned: N64

Even after getting an N64, I played the SNES much more.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2012, 02:18:19 PM »

give us both

Played: SNES
Owned: N64

Even after getting an N64, I played the SNES much more.

Let's be fair, with the level of support the n64 got you would have played any console more
yar

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »
Get in bed with Sony or Apple, then we're talking.

Tim Cook was at Valve HQ yesterday...
CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:42 AM »
http://www.cultofmac.com/160760/why-apple-ceo-tim-cook-met-with-valve-exclusive/

We’ve gotten word that Cook was indeed at Valve yesterday, and what’s more, Apple is planning a full-on assault to take over the living room. This assault won’t just be limited to the long-rumored Apple HDTV set, but will also include a revolutionary home console as well.

According to sources to Cult of Mac, Apple is working on a television set with an iTunes-integrated touch screen remote and Siri-like voice command technology. The TV set will be coming before the end of 2012. Rumors and patents have said as much for the past year, so that’s nothing new. But that’s not all we’ve heard.

Our sources also say that Apple’s television set will come with an Apple-branded, Kinect-like video game console. The interface will rely heavily on motion and touch controls.

CBG

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »
Great,Appletards gaming forums invasion imminent.

:yuck
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2012, 12:22:28 PM »
The interface will rely heavily on motion and touch controls.

I'm out.
dog

archie4208

« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »
Now I'm more interested, if only for the forum banter when it is a runaway success.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »
Now I'm more interested, if only for the forum banter when it is a runaway success.

:fbm
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2012, 12:25:45 PM »

I'll probably alternate between enjoying fanboys wailing about apple come to take their precious and wanting to hang myself over what videogames have become.
yar

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »
no longer interested  :yuck

ready to waggle all over again sir!
<----

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »

If Apple can make $40 million budget games profitable for $10 per copy,fine by me.
cat

Tasty

« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »
"iTunes integrated touchscreen remote"

What does that even mean? It's an iPod Touch without apps? If it's capacitive that'll be a big chunk of money. I don't buy that they'd do this when everyone using it will have an iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad already, just put an app out for those.

Don't buy that rumor.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
Kinect-like
:'(

cool breeze

« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »

What does that even mean? It's an iPod Touch without apps? If it's capacitive that'll be a big chunk of money. I don't buy that they'd do this when everyone using it will have an iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad already, just put an app out for those.

Don't buy that rumor.

sometimes people refer to touchpads as touchscreens.  it could just mean it's a touchpad remote.  I think samsung already has tvs with kinect functionality and touchpad remotes with gestures.

if this is real it might be cool, I guess.  Not if it's a whole new display.  I liked the idea of a steambox more, in that it's something like the alienware x51 but not as expensive, large, and solely for playing games.  If it was somewhere between the Apple TV and Mac Mini, then yeah, I might be into that.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »
so basically it'll be like running your ipad through the tv, but more integrated?  great; i had been hoping the next gen would offer something like this anyway!
pcp

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »
capacitive touch screens aren't really expensive anymore, andrex, nintendo are just cheap fucks
sup

« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »
Why would Apple team up with Valve for a console and vice versa?  Apple would want iTunes on it and nothing else, Valve would want Steam on it and probably nothing else.  Apple wouldn't need Valve's games because all they need to do is make the thing and people will put games on it.  Basically, what would God want with a spaceship?
ǚ

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2012, 10:12:05 PM »
any one device that combines the App Store and Steam probably shouldn't exist for the chance of monopolizing the industry too fast.

Tasty

« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2012, 10:29:52 PM »
any one device that combines the App Store and Steam probably shouldn't exist for the chance of monopolizing the industry too fast.

It's important to remember consumers buy games, not platforms. Valve's games alone won't guarantee any measure of success, nor will Apple's pedigree alone.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2012, 10:36:42 PM »

It's important to remember consumers buy games, not platforms. Valve's games alone won't guarantee any measure of success, nor will Apple's pedigree alone.

U SKURRED?

U SKURRED
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2012, 10:42:03 PM »
I think Apple would be incredibly smart to put out a game console but never actually call it a game console. A product that's essentially an evolution of the ipad which itself is a stealth game console but isn't called a game console.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2012, 10:51:13 PM »
I think Apple would be incredibly smart to put out a game console but never actually call it a game console. A product that's essentially an evolution of the ipad which itself is a stealth game console but isn't called a game console.

This.  Brand it the iLife or whatever, you can stream videos on it, load videos on it, and also dl shit via steam and play it on there.  One stop living room entertainment box that will finally do away with this lame multi-console reality we suffer from.

BRING ON OUR APPLE/GABE OVERLORDS
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »
Also, why not just completely bypass cable?  Hbo could offer streaming stuff.  Other channels could follow suit or even try some sort of subscription package where you get the channel over the internets.  No more fucking terrible cable packages where I have to have the outdoors network and 9 espns.
yar

ManaByte

« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »

Don't buy that rumor.

It'll probably be an iPod Touch like device but with an updated version of the iTunes Remote App. They would probably release a version of the app for existing iPhone/Touch/iPad users as well. You can already control iTunes and AppleTV using your iOS device. So I don't see how hard it is to buy the rumor as the functionality has existed for years...
CBG

Tasty

« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »

This.  Brand it the iLife or whatever, you can stream videos on it, load videos on it, and also dl shit via steam and play it on there.  One stop living room entertainment box that will finally do away with this lame multi-console reality we suffer from.

Google already did this, it's called Google TV. Full Market/Play and HTML5/Chrome game support. The Revue was a game console in everything but name.

Unfortunately Apple's reality distortion field will probably trick a bunch of rubes into buying whatever they put out, like they always do.

ManaByte

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »

Google already did this, it's called Google TV. Full Market/Play and HTML5/Chrome game support. The Revue was a game console in everything but name.

Unfortunately Apple's reality distortion field will probably trick a bunch of rubes into buying whatever they put out, like they always do.

And it'll kill the Wii U just like the iPhone killed off the 3DS.
CBG

drew

• sy
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2012, 11:10:17 PM »
would buy

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »

Fact- you're just jelly.  If Nintendo could inspire that sort of frothing demand for it's products, you'd just sit there and smugly tell us how awesome they were.  You're a really annoying little twerp.
yar