Author Topic: The Bore Car Thread Of Distuinguished Motoring Gentlemen  (Read 74379 times)

Bebpo

Re: The Bore Car Thread Of Distuinguished Motoring Gentlemen
« Reply #540 on: January 28, 2020, 05:44:50 PM »
There's a black 2017 BMW i240 Coupe for $32k with 22k mileage near me w/1 year BMW certified warranty.

Reviews seem to say the i240 is a nice drive, front seats are both comfortable and has back seats that are for children or small legroom people for short trips and ok luggage space.
The one I'm looking at has bluetooth and upgraded Harmen Kardon speakers, Nav screen and rear view camera.

Seems like it could work for what I need and price isn't crazy high. Might give it a test drive later this week if I can find time.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #541 on: January 28, 2020, 06:04:13 PM »
There's a black 2017 BMW i240 Coupe for $32k with 22k mileage near me w/1 year BMW certified warranty.

Reviews seem to say the i240 is a nice drive, front seats are both comfortable and has back seats that are for children or small legroom people for short trips and ok luggage space.
The one I'm looking at has bluetooth and upgraded Harmen Kardon speakers, Nav screen and rear view camera.

Seems like it could work for what I need and price isn't crazy high. Might give it a test drive later this week if I can find time.

That seems like a really good price, those aren't too much of a step down from an M2 IIRC. M series you'd have to watch as people tend to dog em out and parts/fixes are fuck you pricing, but with a decent warranty/certified and that low mileage probably not that much to worry about.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #542 on: January 28, 2020, 07:01:05 PM »
yeah thats the big downside of a bmw, parts and maintenance are full dumb priced :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #543 on: January 28, 2020, 07:08:47 PM »
Yeah, my dad's driven BMWs for last 2 decades and that's what he said. He loves them, but the maintenance ain't cheap. Then again I spent $500-2k a year fixing my S2K at this point on average, so I doubt it'll be much worse for a few years.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #544 on: January 28, 2020, 08:49:54 PM »
Had my first car accident in more than 20 years of driving on the weekend.

Was waiting to exit in a parking lot and the driver of a car in the other lane was trying to reverse to put his ticket in the machine. His foot must have slipped off the brake and onto the accelerator because he came screaming back, hit the car behind him and then jumped the divider and hit me on the front right. Luckily my bullbar took most of the impact and there isn't any panel or mechanical damage.

No injuries thankfully, but a little bit of a shock to the system.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #545 on: January 28, 2020, 09:23:08 PM »
Damn, sounds like a decent speed impact. Glad you're ok.

Bebpo

« Reply #546 on: January 28, 2020, 09:27:04 PM »
So my dad is trying to convince me that rather than potentially get a 3 year old 240i for $32k, that'll be good for maybe 5 years (8 years) before issues, so ~$6k/yr value, that I should get a new 2020 version for $50k if I want it because the $18k difference is essentially the extra 3 years of $6k/yr value and you're under warranty for 3 more years (4 year warranty vs 1 year) and have the newer tech/safety addons from the 3 years newer version.

I mean it sorta makes sense running the numbers, but also feels like you're more comitted to the car because you're probably keeping it 8-10 years vs maybe 5-7 because you're less invested in it.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #547 on: January 28, 2020, 09:33:01 PM »
Hey, can you guys recommend me a 2020 not-ugly looking smaller sedan/coupe that's nice and comfortable on the inside for all passengers, reliable, and under 50k? I was look at the Mercedes E450 after reading Car & Drivers top10 breakdowns but it's more like $70k and would like something a little cheaper because cars are a terrible investment and just throwing money away.

Also preferably Japanese brand because I'm a weaboo and always driven JPN cars.

If you're big on 'value' and still want a luxury experience. Consider Genesis which was spun off of Hyundai in 2017, I believe. A decently equipped G80 should be under $50K. IG70 starts at $35K and can go up to $50K+ for the top end trims.

IMO, you should just buy something that is CPO and off lease because you'll save so much money on depreciation, especially if you want to go the Luxury route.

Edit: Also, if you get 2016 or earlier, the Genesis car is still with Hyundai, so you can save even more, pay under $20K for the same version of a new Genesis with under 30K miles depending on where you live.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:10:38 PM by Tripon »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #548 on: January 28, 2020, 10:25:31 PM »
So my dad is trying to convince me that rather than potentially get a 3 year old 240i for $32k, that'll be good for maybe 5 years (8 years) before issues, so ~$6k/yr value, that I should get a new 2020 version for $50k if I want it because the $18k difference is essentially the extra 3 years of $6k/yr value and you're under warranty for 3 more years (4 year warranty vs 1 year) and have the newer tech/safety addons from the 3 years newer version.

I mean it sorta makes sense running the numbers, but also feels like you're more comitted to the car because you're probably keeping it 8-10 years vs maybe 5-7 because you're less invested in it.

you will become a BMW guy like your dad, trading in when warranty is up.  :lol

I mean if the note doesn't kill you it's not a terrible idea I guess? Have you run numbers on a lease? How much do you value performance versus features, etc...

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #549 on: January 28, 2020, 11:17:34 PM »
bmw is just so expensive compared to what you can get from the asians or even other german cars now i wouldn't ever consider getting a new one. plus they really don't hold their value compared to the others either.

a lease might not be a bad idea if you're more wanting to change it up every few years, depends how many miles you usually put on a car i guess.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #550 on: January 28, 2020, 11:38:00 PM »
Damn, sounds like a decent speed impact. Glad you're ok.
Thanks man.

It wasn't much of a problem because I was in my VW Amarok and he was driving a Mazda 3, but having a car jump a (small) barrier unexpectedly was something.

It was an old dude and his wife, so I was more concerned about their health than any damage to my car.
Spud

Tripon

« Reply #551 on: January 29, 2020, 12:18:51 AM »

If you're wondering what a high end Santa Fe looks like.

Bebpo

« Reply #552 on: January 29, 2020, 01:13:36 AM »
bmw is just so expensive compared to what you can get from the asians or even other german cars now i wouldn't ever consider getting a new one. plus they really don't hold their value compared to the others either.

a lease might not be a bad idea if you're more wanting to change it up every few years, depends how many miles you usually put on a car i guess.

The problem is there really aren't any Asian cars anymore in the range I'm looking for. I feel like the S2000 at 40k filled a sports car without breaking the bank JP car gap that nothing else has since. Miata's are nice but that's a downgrade (sorry Miata fans).

Like when I was a kid playing gran turismo I always wanted an NSX and they were like 70k. That and a Dodge Viper (also 70k) were like adult dream cars.
Now that I'm an adult and can afford a nice car, the NSX is like 160k wtff
We still don't even get the Nissan Skylines (or maybe we do with the GT-Rs?) but those are 100k easy

You have cool Japanese cars for 30k and under (Civic Type-Rs, Miatas, etc...) and then there's just this gap until they start reappearing at 100k cars.

American Muscle cars are honestly good deals for what I'm looking for in the 50k sports car range (Corvette & Shelby Mustang are extremely well reviewed for this range last few years) but I'm just not gonna buy American muscle cars because the aesthetic is BIG DICK AMERICA which is the opposite of the sleeker/elegant Japanese cars I like. Euro cars are ok for that range but generally the better ones are a lot more.

And yeah I looked at the 2020 Supra that's $50k. Once I saw Car & Driver give it 5/5 stars while also saying it has some major blind spot issues I nopped the fuck out. I've almost gotten in a few crashes due to really bad blindspots in my S2K and a car appearing out of nowhere. I know there's electronic indicators now, but I still don't wanna get another car with real bad blindspots. Also it's a 2 seater and I'm looking at more than 2 seats for my daily driver.

Fwiw in terms of miles, I put like 10,000 per year. I bought my S2k in 2011 at 28k miles and now at 2020 nine years later I'm 93k miles, so I put about 65,000 miles in 9 years which is less than 10k/yr average. I have no commute so I just drive for social stuff for concerts and LA once in a while for work/doctors. It's been suggested that some of my electrical battery issues from my S2K might be because I have no commute so I drive like 2 miles to work and turn it off or 2-5 miles to eat and turn it off outside a couple times a week so the battery doesn't get a good recharge.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:17:52 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #553 on: January 29, 2020, 01:36:51 AM »
After work I went to a BMW dealership and tried:

2020 M240i Automatic - Was ok. Felt as dull as all the other automatics I've driven. Like you push down the gas and there's this half a second pause like it's beginning to pull the weight of the car forward and then it shoots off like a rocket at a steady speed 0-60. I've always thought that kind of acceleration felt weird and disconnected. Otherwise it drove fine. The seats in this were nicer than my S2000 but not as good as other BMW Sedans/Luxury cars I've been in. Still felt like sports/racer seats. Walked away feeling like this wasn't worth $50,000 kinda of car.

2020 M340i Automatic - The car sales guy wanted me to try the full sedan introduced in 2019 with the 340i series. I liked it. Was a very comfortable full size sedan. Seats were real nice, interior was great. Was a little boring to drive but generally drove well. But sticker on this was $60,000 which is a lot. I asked if there were any pre-owned but he said since it was just introduced in 2019 they didn't have any. If this car was $40k, even $40k off a 3 year lease with <30k mileage, I'd probably go for it.

Then I went to another BMW dealer because I had glanced when looking that the had a 2017 240i in Manual and I wondered if the issues I was having with these BMWs feeling unresponsive and not enjoyable to drive wasn't coming from the way they drive but just coming from them being automatic and I've been driving manual cars for 22 years.

2017 M240i Manual - This was fun. I didn't like the shifter as much as my S2K. It's a lot smaller or less movement between gears. Feels like a videogame controller vs. the old metal stick with a golf club stitching on top that I'm used to. I jumped from 2nd to 5th the first time because the reach between gear is pretty small. Also the shifter is in a different place (my S2K has drink holders behind shifter so it's more towards the dash, this has the drink holders in the front so the shifter is pushed back further), but that just takes some adjustments. Now otherwise, this was a fun car to drive. It was a quicker, peppier version of my S2K that was quieter (coupe v soft-top there), had 4 seats instead of 2, had really comfortable seats (I think this one had some upgraded leather), and full trunk space vs jack shit. The steering was softer and smoother but that's not necessarily a plus (I prefer feeling all the bumps) but that's fine for a daily driver. Plus it had all the latest safety features and doodads that my 2008 car lacked. Basically seemed like an upgrade from my S2K that brings the mileage back down to a car with 28k and 2 years left on the warranty which brings reliability and I'd probably get used to the shifter. Didn't even have a chance to try it in "sport" mode. Also had a red interior  :lol (black exterior). Was a little more expensive than the $32k one I was looking at w/22k mileage, was $38k w/28k mileage which I swear is because manual makes it more niche and attractive, but also the seats were nicer.

...but yeah, it's probably because 2017 was the last year M240i came in manual so it's niche:
https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/06/29/bmw-2-series-lose-manual-transmission-north-america/
*edit* maybe not. The 2018 info I'm looking at says it still comes in manual.

Going to go back and give the M240i manual another run soon, mess around with the sport mode and just drive it some more. Right now feeling pretty good about going for it. Only downside is my family and friends all hate me because they can't drive stick and so no one else can drive it, but I just can't see myself driving an automatic on a daily basis for years. I'm just too spoiled by manual speed shifting. That acceleration in rpms to shifting just feels like how cars are supposed to accelerate.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:42:00 AM by Bebpo »

Tripon

« Reply #554 on: January 29, 2020, 01:45:52 AM »

The problem is there really aren't any Asian cars anymore in the range I'm looking for. I feel like the S2000 at 40k filled a sports car without breaking the bank JP car gap that nothing else has since. Miata's are nice but that's a downgrade (sorry Miata fans).

Like when I was a kid playing gran turismo I always wanted an NSX and they were like 70k. That and a Dodge Viper (also 70k) were like adult dream cars.
Now that I'm an adult and can afford a nice car, the NSX is like 160k wtff
We still don't even get the Nissan Skylines (or maybe we do with the GT-Rs?) but those are 100k easy

You have cool Japanese cars for 30k and under (Civic Type-Rs, Miatas, etc...) and then there's just this gap until they start reappearing at 100k cars.

American Muscle cars are honestly good deals for what I'm looking for in the 50k sports car range (Corvette & Shelby Mustang are extremely well reviewed for this range last few years) but I'm just not gonna buy American muscle cars because the aesthetic is BIG DICK AMERICA which is the opposite of the sleeker/elegant Japanese cars I like. Euro cars are ok for that range but generally the better ones are a lot more.

And yeah I looked at the 2020 Supra that's $50k. Once I saw Car & Driver give it 5/5 stars while also saying it has some major blind spot issues I nopped the fuck out. I've almost gotten in a few crashes due to really bad blindspots in my S2K and a car appearing out of nowhere. I know there's electronic indicators now, but I still don't wanna get another car with real bad blindspots. Also it's a 2 seater and I'm looking at more than 2 seats for my daily driver.

Fwiw in terms of miles, I put like 10,000 per year. I bought my S2k in 2011 at 28k miles and now at 2020 nine years later I'm 93k miles, so I put about 65,000 miles in 9 years which is less than 10k/yr average. I have no commute so I just drive for social stuff for concerts and LA once in a while for work/doctors. It's been suggested that some of my electrical battery issues from my S2K might be because I have no commute so I drive like 2 miles to work and turn it off or 2-5 miles to eat and turn it off outside a couple times a week so the battery doesn't get a good recharge.

The NSX isn't like the NSX of old. Honda decided to load it with so much tech that's it's a different beast. If you want a JDM daily driver that feels sort of sporty but still is trying to upscale, maybe something like a Mazda 6. Subaru Legacy is trying to go for luxury feel, and the WRX and its WRX STI varieties are more compact and can get stupid expensive. Subaru is releasing an STI variety limited edition this year that starts at $60K+.

Bebpo

« Reply #555 on: January 29, 2020, 01:54:43 AM »
My first car was a Subaru RS2.5 (basically WRX-lite) before we got the WRX
My friend got the WRX when we got it here.

Great cars, and I looooved going off road with it. Might get another one someday, but not what I'm looking for now.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #556 on: January 29, 2020, 02:27:18 AM »
Hey, can you guys recommend me a 2020 not-ugly looking smaller sedan/coupe that's nice and comfortable on the inside for all passengers, reliable, and under 50k? I was look at the Mercedes E450 after reading Car & Drivers top10 breakdowns but it's more like $70k and would like something a little cheaper because cars are a terrible investment and just throwing money away.

Also preferably Japanese brand because I'm a weaboo and always driven JPN cars.

Do you want a second car or an S2000 replacement? If it's a second car, despite how ubiquitous it is in California, I would recommend a Tesla Model 3 or maybe a used Model S (Model S might depreciate too slowly though). Personally, I really like the new Hyundai Sonata that I test-drove when my brother was shopping a month ago. It's a very comfortable car and looks so pretty it's sinful in person. I've always been partial to Mazdas too so I can also recommend the Mazda 6.

If you're looking to replace an S2000, I don't think there is a sports sedan that will handle as well. Maybe a Civic SI or a Golf R would scratch that itch but modern cars are heavier and you will have to compromise. I've never liked traditional luxury cars because I was born Iranian and got used to seeing those too much but I did unintentionally rent a BMW 4 series a couple years ago and while its ride and handling weren't great, it was very capabale of producing doughnuts. For traditional luxury, I would just recommend something classy and unique like a Jag or a Volvo for you.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #557 on: January 29, 2020, 02:36:18 AM »
Holy shit that Sonata is nice looking. So far removed from what my memory tells me a Sonata looks like.

This...

...somehow became this...

Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #558 on: January 29, 2020, 03:03:54 AM »
Man, looking for manual transmission cars in 2020 in the USA is pretty rough. Especially if you're looking for at least 4 seater cars. There's like...very few options. I see why the M240i Manual was ~38k (though I looked it up and it's 35k before taxes and stuff), a manual car 2017 or newer is rare and has probably has more value.

I mean I can get a manual Honda Accord or Subaru BRZ/WRX but that's just kinda boring. Otherwise it's basically the BMW 2 series or 4 series (4 series way too expensive).

Bebpo

« Reply #559 on: January 29, 2020, 03:55:10 AM »
Been watching car vids all night and reading up on stuff. I think what I've learned is manual 4-seater is on its way out. Dual-clutch is the new deal and is just as good if you're ok with it feeling like you're playing a videogame shifting vs Initial D hit the clutch drop shift and turn (latter being more exciting/fun for some of us). I'm slightly tempted to try out a DCT though I already feel like I know how it'll feel watching the vids and having played a lot of driving games with up/down shiftters or paddle shifters.

I also learned that the 2017 240i manual is probably a bit overpriced at $38k and they really should discount a couple thousand off it in haggling, but they probably won't. If it was closer to $32-35k I think it'd be a good deal.

The feeling I get is that if I go with that, it'll be just extending my stick shifting days another 5 years of reliability until I'm forced to move on and get an automatic and maybe at that point replace my S2K with a manual 2-seater roadster Miata or Boxster cause that's all that'll be left for manuals. So basically I feel like currently I can move onto the future with one of the many auto gear cars out there, or I can be stubborn and keep driving like Initial D for 5 years switching out my S2K days for the M240i. It's kind of depressing tbh, but I'll probably be in a different place in 5-6 years to re-asses what I need.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #560 on: January 29, 2020, 05:11:11 AM »
Didn't see your second post, manual transmissions are supposed to be cheaper from a manufacturing perspective but yeah, the dealer is probably waiting for the right buyer to come along. EVs are the best option if you want something reliable and comfortable while something like a 240i or Cayman would probably be pretty close to your current cars driving characteristics.

Bebpo

« Reply #561 on: January 29, 2020, 05:45:08 AM »
Damn, the new Corvette looks seriously videogame supercar level of cool. I really don't want to buy an American brand and can't afford it and don't need another 2 seater, but this is pretty tempting to try someday:

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #562 on: January 29, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »
I know you said you weren't feeling the euro cars in your range but a Jetta GLI might be a good one to at least try.

2.0L turbo engine, good room for four people, 6 year transferrable warranty, manual transmission, good sleek look (imo) plus all the nice led lights and safety/convenience features (rear camera, blindspot monitor, front and rear assist, adaptive cruise control), good mpg (even if you don't have much of a commute), and the top trim adds leather, fancier sunroof, and the digital gauges and monitoring at like $30k

as far as leases on whatever if you are still considering it, 10-15k is what most leases give you in miles per year so you are looking good on that front. if you want to change it up every 3ish years (or just push out the 'what car to buy' decision out a bit) its honestly not a bad idea. just don't get caught in a lease longer than that. in general you don't want to lease a car for longer than the warranty lasts.

also yes 38k for that 240i is a few thousand overpriced, especially for a 3 year old bmw, but that's sometimes what you get trying for a manual these days. you could haggle a bit or bring in a truecar pricing if you wanted to try and get a bit off if you're committed to that car though.

also helps that most dealers will be really wanting your s2000 on trade so you could work with them wherever you end up buying.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:09:04 AM by nachobro »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #563 on: January 29, 2020, 09:07:47 AM »
I mean I can get a manual Honda Accord or Subaru BRZ/WRX but that's just kinda boring. Otherwise it's basically the BMW 2 series or 4 series (4 series way too expensive).

Don't see how those are any less boring than a BMW tbh- they're all 'boring' design-wise.
:idont

Are you set on a sedan or coupe?  If you want more comfort and room for people, might want to check out hatchbacks and crossovers.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:21:25 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #564 on: January 29, 2020, 09:24:10 AM »
Aren't there supposed to be a lot of issues with reliability on recent VW cars? 

Love that Golf GTI though.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #565 on: January 29, 2020, 09:38:28 AM »
about 10-12 years ago there were major reliability issues with them, pretty much every jetta was guaranteed to have electrical system issues of some sort. but they've improved a ton since then, my 2017 has been perfect (knock on wood now that i said that). supposedly vw ranks above audi/bmw when it comes to reliability but i dunno what that means in practice.

just don't trust their mpg numbers on their diesels ;)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:43:39 AM by nachobro »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #566 on: January 29, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »
stick shift is legit the best current theft deterrent system.  :lol

my 2nd car was a stick and I was not great at it, although in my defense it was a pos. the vehicle after was an automatic (and substantial upgrade), so I never went o rreally had the need to go back. I have a GTI, and a lot of the stock for those is manual...about 1k under the dual clutch option but I deal with enough traffic for it to seem like a pain and figured i would have paddle shifts if ever wanted. I have tried/used them like twice, not sure if they suck or I am just not feeling it. It's a great drive but not at all the aesthetic you are after.

getting all of what you want likely pushes you out of your price range, but it's not like you don't have a ton of options in that band. pure performance you could always roll the dice on a used GT-R but their interiors are WRX-level aren't they?

new vettes are really dope, they are apparently eating some costs on the first year of the mid engines to keep in line with previous vettes...they are expecting them to be more expensive next year (I haven't checked, imagine dealers are gouging). seriously impressive considering the cost of anything similar.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #567 on: January 29, 2020, 10:34:36 AM »
Aren't there supposed to be a lot of issues with reliability on recent VW cars? 

Love that Golf GTI though.

zero issues on mine aside from about to have to change tires and brakes/rotors which will be a lick. I got vaguely pissed when told VW/audi rotors are consumables, had to google.  :maf

(knock on wood now that i said that)

yeah we cursed now.  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #568 on: January 29, 2020, 03:19:23 PM »
new vettes are really dope, they are apparently eating some costs on the first year of the mid engines to keep in line with previous vettes...they are expecting them to be more expensive next year (I haven't checked, imagine dealers are gouging). seriously impressive considering the cost of anything similar.

I just read that apparently they won't offer any in manual transmission at all?  :(

stick shift is legit the best current theft deterrent system.  :lol

:lol

Bebpo

« Reply #569 on: January 29, 2020, 03:22:16 PM »

Don't see how those are any less boring than a BMW tbh- they're all 'boring' design-wise.
:idont

I don't mean in terms of exterior design. BRZ and WRX certainly beat a BMW which I find even the fancy M2s/M4s etc... to look like your average boring sedan on the outside.
I meant in terms of HP and kick to them. Coming from S2K anything weaker is gonna feel like a downgrade (though I know WRX can get up to a little above S2K when maxed out). The BMW is a good deal faster (5.6 -> 4.4 in 0-60) so it feels fun.

Are you set on a sedan or coupe?  If you want more comfort and room for people, might want to check out hatchbacks and crossovers.

Nah, I've never liked the visual look of SUVs or Hatchbacks or Crossovers. Too bulky for me.

Bebpo

« Reply #570 on: January 29, 2020, 03:30:31 PM »
So I came up with a plan that's a little crazy and eccentric, but I'm a little crazy and eccentric so it kinda matches me  :P

I'm gonna test drive a Tesla 3 (the AWD long range version w/19" wheels). If it's solid, I'm gonna lease one for 3 years as a daily driver. I don't see the Tesla 3 type tech cars as having much worth most likely in year 7+ since they'll probably be super outdated, so a 3 year lease seems sensible. This also doesn't break the bank.

Then hopefully in the next couple years when I buy a house (been looking/meaning to for years, just haven't pushed forward on it). I'm gonna make sure there's either a 3 car garage or a driveway/street room for 3 cars.

Once I have that, I'm gonna buy a manual transmission coupe. Maybe a used M240i, maybe a used Porsche Cayman, don't have to worry about 2 seaters at this point since I'll have the Tesla.
I'm planning on keeping the S2K around, not really to use much, but just as a vintage car I love to take out here and there. Also if I don't get another convertible, it'll be my convertible when I want to have the top down.

Basically I'll use the Tesla as the daily driver and for when I'm going out at night in traffic rush hour times of stop/start traffic, and use the coupe as a DD when I just wanna have fun manual transmission driving, and take the S2K out once in a blue moon. Honestly I'd sell the S2K since I probably wouldn't use it much, but being that the car has so little bluebook value (I have some body damage, electrical issues, plus the mileage) and it's such a great car, it just seems better to keep it forever than sell it for a few thousand bucks. But I like the idea of having an automatic & manual DD car for different situations.

I also need to see whether I can actually charge an electric car without tripping the breakers at my place. My wiring is pretty shitty.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #571 on: January 29, 2020, 03:51:08 PM »
I like the look of some of the current hatches.  I needed a new car ASAP in late 2018 otherwise I would have loved to gotten the Corolla hatchback. 

Still not as big on the Honda Fit design.  We have a 2012 Fit Sport EX and I like its look, but the recent designs are kinda...eh.  I dunno.

Civic Type-R looks weird to me, too.  I don't know what it is about Honda in the last five or so years, but I'm not big on their designs.

I'm good on cars for now with my little fake-crossover Spark Activ, but my wife has driven the Fit like crazy and we're probably going to need a new car in the next few years- hoping it will still be fine by the time it's 10 years old in another year or two.  One Honda design I do like is the HRV.  It looks like a bigger Spark, lol.  Even has the same 'hidden' back doors. 

I still miss Scion though.   :'( 
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #572 on: January 29, 2020, 03:51:12 PM »
Teslas seem pretty cool and a three year lease seems about the right amount of time you'd need to get the rest figured out. Seems like a solid plan.

Keeping the S2000 as a tinkering car seems about right. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get more than you think for it if only because S2000s are still highly desired, even with issues. However the body damage would take some wind out of those sails.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #573 on: January 29, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »
RACE ME, BITCHES- 98 HORSEPOWER :pimp :o

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #574 on: January 29, 2020, 04:00:53 PM »
Keeping the S2000 as a tinkering car seems about right. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get more than you think for it if only because S2000s are still highly desired, even with issues. However the body damage would take some wind out of those sails.

My father's car had a little bit of body damage and it didn't seem to matter.  He got a crazy good price for his.  Had low mileage though.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #575 on: January 29, 2020, 04:04:58 PM »
Friend of mine works at a dealership and he said there were fights over who would buy a traded in s2000 from the dealership when they got one recently :lol hell i heavily considered throwing my hat in the ring too.

:lawd

it had half the miles as bebpo's but i still think there would be a draw.

hey, speaking of...he's trying to get rid of his modded up golf r. just come on over to ABQ and pick that up bebpo. it'd be a fun drive home.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:09:03 PM by nachobro »

Bebpo

« Reply #576 on: January 29, 2020, 04:13:11 PM »
I think I looked up the bluebook and it's about $14,000-$16,000 with "good" quality (not very good or excellent). But I feel like a dealer would undercut it and probably only get like $10k max.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #577 on: January 29, 2020, 04:41:06 PM »
S2000 is an enthusiast car with a cult following, price according to forums and comparables, not KBB lol. You probably want to sell direct although its a huge pain in the ass.

Bebpo

« Reply #578 on: January 29, 2020, 06:04:46 PM »
Yeah, very true on both points.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #579 on: January 30, 2020, 10:57:59 AM »
VW > BMW yet again :D

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #580 on: January 30, 2020, 03:09:45 PM »
That's not real, right?
Spud

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #581 on: January 30, 2020, 03:12:04 PM »
the nuke is not a real one ofc, but its a real top gear clip.

Bebpo

« Reply #582 on: January 30, 2020, 07:40:36 PM »
I was looking into the Tesla stuff and on paper it sounds like a solid fun to drive car when paired with long range version and 19" wheels,
but then I found out that a lot of places like mine can't install the wall charger without redoing the entire breaker outlet for $10,000+ of electrical work.

Gonna test drive one on Saturday, but if I like it next step is to have an electrician over and see if I can even put a charger in before I order one that's backlogged 2.5 months out currently.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #583 on: January 31, 2020, 01:16:57 AM »
the nuke is not a real one ofc, but its a real top gear clip.

Oops, was on my phone and didn't see it was top gear.
Spud

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #584 on: January 31, 2020, 08:31:14 AM »
i didn't realize teslas needed that much juice. only experience i have with an electric car is a chevy volt and you can use a normal wall plug with that, or a 220v as a faster charging option if you have the outlet.

Bebpo

« Reply #585 on: January 31, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »
Yeah I think it might just be a 220/240v thing. But I don't have a 220v so that's what my electrician would need to figure out on if they can cheaply install a 220 outlet in my garage. Looks like that works just as well as the wall charger (~25 mile range / hour vs ~30 with wall charger).

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/any-benefit-of-tesla-home-charger-vs-220-outlet.108264/

Bebpo

« Reply #586 on: February 01, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
Well I liked the model 3 long range. It was a pretty nice ride and felt like a turbo racer prius with way nicer interior and tech. Liked a lot of the tech stuff like having a OSD keyboard instead of all these dumb knobs and stuff to type in addresses on the gps. Sound system seemed solid. The only things I honestly didn't like were the door handles are dumb and the rear view mirror is pretty tiny. Guy says "oh, that's because you can use the electronic rear view", but when I'm on the freeway that's typically what I'm looking at before changing lanes (and then the side mirrors) so I like a good rear view mirror.

Now just gotta see if I can install a wall charger. Looked around but electricians only work M-F so everyone is closed. Will see if I can get someone over to evaluate it next week. Apparently if I don't order a Tesla in the next 2 weeks, I have to wait until the end of June as they only deliver by quarter and limited time left to make the end of March order.

Bebpo

« Reply #587 on: February 01, 2020, 06:18:57 PM »
Decided just to say fuck it and go ahead and get the car. My daily drive is about 10-20 miles/day outside nights/weekends when I go out for something social.

Worst case scenario where I can't install a 240v outlet or 60 amp wall charger, I should be able to get about 40 miles charge per night on a standard 110v outlet. With a full tank being topped off each night for 40 miles and superchargers all around if the battery gets low to go spend $20 and charge it back to full in an hour (I pay $40 for gas every 7-10 days in my current car) that should work until I move to a new place hopefully this year where I'd make sure I can put in a full power wall charger.

Just waiting for the sales rep to call me back since I wanna be good and give the guy who showed me around the sale and not just buy it online right now. This way no pressure on getting electrician over and can take time in the next 2 months until the car delivers getting some estimates on my options.

Also spent a while researching the pros/cons of lease/buy and while I think lease would save a few bucks, since I tend to drive cars for about 8-10 years and don't need the added anxiety about not getting scrapes and little dents here and there on a leased car, plus the 8 year warranty/120k miles is pretty good for the main battery, I'm just gonna go all in and buy and this will be my DD for the next 6-10 years while I'll keep my S2K as a weekend car and replace it at some point with another manual roadster as a weekend car.

Tripon

« Reply #588 on: February 01, 2020, 06:41:09 PM »
Cool. I want a Telsa eventually, but I think I want to wait for the Model Y since I've been driving hatchbacks for a decade now, and love the extra cargo capacity of just carrying shit vs a sedan.

Bebpo

« Reply #589 on: February 01, 2020, 06:59:43 PM »
Done! Will get it in about 2 months.

Yeah, I don't need 1/2 the space Model 3 has. I drive around solo mostly and at most need a suitcase worth of space, so I'm good. If I had a family or did outdoor stuff the Model Y would make sense.

One thing that helped push me over the edge, is I totally forgot that here in CA there's been a program to let you use the carpool lane with EVs since I've never had an EV and never paid attention. I drive to LA about once a week or two and sit through 2.5 hours of stop/start traffic each way (4-5 hours total) for a 43 mile drive each way. Being able to use the carpool for 3 1/2 years until Jan 1, 2024 is a pretty nice bonus that will save me a lot of hours. OC in general has pretty shit traffic anytime from 4-7pm M-F and half of saturday, so I'll get a ton of use out of that. Worth a lot of $$ on its own and itching for the day I get the registration so I can put the application for the EV decal in.

Ended up getting red since my first car Impreza was red and I remember always loving the sporty color. After my black S2K always looking dirty if I'm not washing it all the time I kinda didn't want black anymore and white/grey is a bit boring. The blue was nice but I have a soft spot for red. Got the black & white interior which looks neat and upgraded to 19" wheels after reading the handling is best with 19".

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #590 on: February 02, 2020, 12:54:04 AM »
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #591 on: February 02, 2020, 01:07:17 AM »
I am not going to be smug or braggy at all that Bebpo took my recommendation, despite how rare that may be.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #592 on: February 02, 2020, 01:31:45 AM »
Two beauty shots of my 2012 G37 AWD

:9

Bebpo

« Reply #593 on: February 02, 2020, 02:03:34 AM »
Gorgeous shots. Look straight out of a videogame photo mode.

Bebpo

« Reply #594 on: February 04, 2020, 06:52:57 PM »
Electrician moved things around and put in a 220/240v outlet with a Tesla 4-50 Nema adapter. Was at about 92amps / 100amps capacity when maxed, so just have enough overhead for about 40 amps charging. But should get me 30miles/hour charge and fill it up each night.

Bebpo

« Reply #595 on: February 27, 2020, 07:14:29 PM »
Got my Tesla just now! Wish it was a sunny day for pics (it's cloudy overcast), but still took some:

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #596 on: February 27, 2020, 07:17:49 PM »
damn that red is :lawd

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #597 on: February 27, 2020, 10:28:21 PM »
I think I might need car buying advice. Is this thread for that? If I decide to move to LA and want to buy a used car, would there be any benefit in looking for one here in the Bay vs there? Trying to do some vague planning for the next few months and I want to know if I should be looking now.
serge

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #598 on: February 27, 2020, 11:11:33 PM »
So happy for you Bebpo. Now you can keep the S2000 on as your mistress.

I think I might need car buying advice. Is this thread for that? If I decide to move to LA and want to buy a used car, would there be any benefit in looking for one here in the Bay vs there? Trying to do some vague planning for the next few months and I want to know if I should be looking now.

LA has slightly better prices (~10%) on the used market since everyone over there has a car so there's just more reselling going on. The weather and traffic patterns are similar between both areas so I don't think there would be any difference in wear and tear under the skin.

« Reply #599 on: February 27, 2020, 11:20:15 PM »
My wife does not work in the insurance wing of the company, but she works for a large multinational insurance company that often moonlights as a crime fighting Australian bird. With that out of the way...

“Whatever you do, don’t buy a Tesla. Insurance rates are insane because they are basically cost prohibitive to repair.”
野球