Author Topic: The Bore Car Thread Of Distuinguished Motoring Gentlemen  (Read 76174 times)

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Re: BORE CAR THREAD - MAF ONLY KNOWS HOW TO DRIVE THEM
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Hyo, how much does that one cost? Aren't you a truck driver?

Three grand for body work, paint, clear coat, wheel resto, headliner install, and tint

I don't drive trucks lol, for business or pleasure
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:39:59 AM by AdmiralViscen »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #301 on: September 03, 2012, 04:42:29 AM »

Three grand for body work, paint, clear coat, wheel resto, headliner install, and tint

I thought Hyoushi was a truck driver, not you my man  :)

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2012, 05:02:41 AM »

I thought Hyoushi was a truck driver, not you my man  :)

It starts out at 37k euro here

and no, i'm not really a truck driver
地平線

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #303 on: September 03, 2012, 09:25:33 AM »
But thats what you said, at least it was something you were doing no?

Man who am I confusing you with.

Anyhoo: super sweet ride

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #304 on: September 03, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »
I think I posted a pic of a german semitruck with the words DILDO KING on it and said my new job was driving it, and you just chose to believe that at face value

My real job is driving a forklift down at the docks! :sonic
地平線

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #305 on: September 03, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
Yeah I'm like that, I don't BS and don't expect others too  :-[

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #306 on: September 10, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
I found a nice little corner where no one wants anyone parking near them

I thought night shots would be cool, maybe not with a phone though. Here they are anyway

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »
Gatdamn!!!  Beautiful

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2012, 02:47:15 AM »
So... Here's my uncool car story, Auto-Bore:
Bought a car from a friend of mine's boyfriend. She's since broken up with him, so I can't even say he's a FOAF anymore. But at the time, I didn't think it was important to do a pre-purchase inspection. Now I think it's more important for friend-, FOAF-, or family-purchases. Just to avoid bad blood.

Car had $4K bluebook, if it was in awesome shape; it wasn't though, so I paid $3500. Nearly immediately afterward I put in $500 for new oxygen sensors, and then had a full inspection done. The inspection showed a need for another $3600 dollars of work -- holy fucking shit -- but the garage said if I did it, I'd have a safe, reliable car which I could "drive across the country." I bit the bullet, let them keep the car for four days, and paid for it. I've got 7 pages of receipt describing the various things they repaired.

The day after I picked it up, it started overheating. It had never overheated before. I took it back to the garage, and they found out it needs to replace the head gasket. That's normally a $3200 repair for them. They feel frustrated that they didn't catch it in the initial inspection, which was supposed to be EVERYTHING. They're willing to do the labor on the head gasket for free, if I'm willing to pay for parts and the out-of-house machining. That's $900.

Honestly, I was livid. I was super angry, after already considered putting the car out of its misery with the initial $3600 fee. Here comes another $900 fee in addition to it. But if I'm in for a penny, I'm in for a pound. I give the go-ahead, and live without my car for another week.

When I pick up the car and drive off the lot, the power steering seemed choppy. I got a couple miles away before I realized the steering was feeling really rough and, worse than that, the steering didn't straighten smoothly out of a turn; it was like the wheel was locking up. That was last Thursday. I had a Friday-to-Monday trip to Los Angeles, and I was angry about that steering the whole time. Here are two trips to the mechanic which should have fixed everything-everything-EVERYTHING, and instead I've got unsafe steering. They told me they drove around the block to check out the head gasket repair, but I can't imagine anyone driving the car and NOT FEELING the messed-up steering.

I took it in today during lunch. They found a small hole in the hose which they'd missed when they flushed my power steering fluid during the first repair. They replaced the hose, re-filled the fluid, burped it, and sent me on my way with no charge. I'm happy they stepped up to correct something they missed, but this whole experience has destroyed my confidence in this car.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
Jeez, man.  Year make and model?  That's either a REALLY shitty car or a really shitty garage.

« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2012, 11:26:55 AM »
I think the alternator is going out in my 2009 Corolla. Shit.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2012, 12:06:31 PM »
I'm happy they stepped up to correct something they missed, but this whole experience has destroyed my confidence in this car.

It didn't also destroy your confidence in that garage?
ど助平

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #313 on: September 26, 2012, 12:45:51 PM »
Don't fret!  Alternators are easy!  Do it yourself for cheap

« Reply #314 on: September 26, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
Don't fret!  Alternators are easy!  Do it yourself for cheap

I looked it up last night, $177 for the part. My Dad is very car smart, so we'll probably do it ourselves.

We think it's the alternator. Car still drives fine, but it is revving really high/loud and the sound appears to be coming from the alternator.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #315 on: September 26, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
a high idle from an alternator sounds like a reach IMO.  I've never heard of one causing a high idle.  I'm betting it's a sensor of some sort acting up.  Maybe your mass airflow sensor or something in the throttle body (IAC maybe?).  Is it throwing any codes?

« Reply #316 on: September 26, 2012, 02:03:55 PM »
Looking online it sounds like it could a water pump issue or an issue with the timing belt. The car isn't flashing any warning lights, but it's loud and clearly something isn't right. Haven't had a code checked.

At 67k miles, too. So the 5 year/60k warranty is no go. Sounds about right.

edit: Really sounds like it's a faulty water pump. Time to find a non-rapey mechanic.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:25:37 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #317 on: September 26, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
it's definitely possible that what you're hearing are the bearings going out in the water pump.  Let us know what happens.

Edit: and even water pumps are usually easy as hell to replace. 

« Reply #318 on: September 26, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
it's definitely possible that what you're hearing are the bearings going out in the water pump.  Let us know what happens.

Yeah, just checked under the hood and it started flinging some pink buildup around, which is from the pump.

Toyota dealer said it would be $398, getting quotes from some mechanics now. Really nice that my parents live in the town I work, I can just borrow one of their cars until it's fixed.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #319 on: September 26, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »
You should be able find a water pump for less than 100 if you shop around.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4508687_replace-water-pump-toyota-corolla.html

There doesn't seem to be much work involved replacing it. 

G The Resurrected

« Reply #320 on: September 26, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »
So I gotta ask since I've never bought a new car before what some tips might be so I don't get hosed. I'm gonna be selling off the suv and putting down a substantial amount upfront for a new car. Do dealers still offer the best they can if you try to pay off a majority with cash? Or is that a old standard that is no longer true? I'm looking to get two car's since my needs have varied drastically over the past few months due to travel and commuting.

I'm looking at doing this:

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid (the daily driver)
2000 Lexus RX330 trade in and 35% down

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (the missus mobile)
2001 Hyundai Santa Fe trade in and additional 35% down

I've done a lot of research and I'm comfortable with the two choices. My work has provided me with a small amount to put toward the down payment since I've had a lot of issues with my current vehicle. Any advice would be nice.

« Reply #321 on: September 26, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »
Do dealers still offer the best they can if you try to pay off a majority with cash?

Sometimes, but not always. It didn't have any effect on the price we ended up paying for Corolla. What will help with financing is going with a long payment plan that doesn't have a pre-payment penalty. You'll end up getting a lower interest rate on whatever you didn't pay for upfront. We put down $9,000 on the car and paid the rest off over two years on a five year payment plan.
野球

G The Resurrected

« Reply #322 on: September 26, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
That's the kind of stuff I need to know going into this. Is the interest rate at all effected by the initial down payment? Or is it strictly based off my credit? I ask cause I don't know if it's a good idea to cosign with another party that might make it easier in the long run by reducing the interest.

Another thing I haven't yet discussed with my employer is how they are writing this expense off or how I'm supposed to explain that I got a large amount of money from them to do this to the dealer. I don't know if they'll be concerned with all the details when it comes to purchasing the vehicles.

Were going to be getting them from the same dealership and are just awaiting stock so we can check them out and then do all of the other essentials. I've already got two quotes for the trade in's that are good till end of October between myself and the dealership. And I just went to the bank yesterday to get information about going through them for a auto loan, hence why I've already figured how much the down for each vehicle will be based off what pricing I could find.

« Reply #323 on: September 26, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »
We ended up doing financing directly through the dealership. That resulted in us getting a much better interest rate.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #324 on: September 26, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »
I'm happy they stepped up to correct something they missed, but this whole experience has destroyed my confidence in this car.

Cool story, bro, but what car was that? And which year? Gotta help peeps avoid it in the future.
Jeez, man.  Year make and model?  That's either a REALLY shitty car or a really shitty garage.

Ah, it's a 2000 Subaru Forester L. If the previous owner had taken better care of it, it would be easily able to run up to 250,000 or 300,000 miles. It currently has 165K miles. It now has a new head gasket, new brakes, timing belt, reseated and resealed oil pan, and a bunch of other new stuff.

The garage is a local one with an absolutely spotless rep on Yelp, Google, etc. I've spoken with the owner, who has seemed genuine with his concern about their missteps. Sure, I would have been happier if they'd eaten the cost on parts and machining for the head gasket. Yeah, I'm still pretty pissed off that they let me drive off the lot with steering which was obviously unwieldy (and unsafe). They have tried to step up.

I'm $8300 invested in a car that was theoretically worth only $4000 in excellent condition. More than anything, I'm just frustrated that it cost me so much to learn a simple lesson: When money is exchanged between friends or relatives, there is more potential harm in NOT following procedure than properly following it. Any car I'm buying from anyone in the future, I'll pay for a full inspection just to avoid this situation.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #325 on: September 28, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »
that santa fe looks like a traverse fucked a fusion

« Reply #326 on: September 28, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
You should be able find a water pump for less than 100 if you shop around.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4508687_replace-water-pump-toyota-corolla.html

There doesn't seem to be much work involved replacing it.

$93 and 90 minutes later we had the car fixed.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #327 on: September 28, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
Nice!  Nothing better than a simple solution.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #328 on: September 28, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »

Cool story, bro, but what car was that? And which year? Gotta help peeps avoid it in the future.

Ah, it's a 2000 Subaru Forester L. If the previous owner had taken better care of it, it would be easily able to run up to 250,000 or 300,000 miles. It currently has 165K miles. It now has a new head gasket, new brakes, timing belt, reseated and resealed oil pan, and a bunch of other new stuff.

The garage is a local one with an absolutely spotless rep on Yelp, Google, etc. I've spoken with the owner, who has seemed genuine with his concern about their missteps. Sure, I would have been happier if they'd eaten the cost on parts and machining for the head gasket. Yeah, I'm still pretty pissed off that they let me drive off the lot with steering which was obviously unwieldy (and unsafe). They have tried to step up.

I'm $8300 invested in a car that was theoretically worth only $4000 in excellent condition. More than anything, I'm just frustrated that it cost me so much to learn a simple lesson: When money is exchanged between friends or relatives, there is more potential harm in NOT following procedure than properly following it. Any car I'm buying from anyone in the future, I'll pay for a full inspection just to avoid this situation.

When we came back to the States, my grandmother gave us her old '89 Accord to use.  It only had about 55,000 miles on it and was in great shape.  Several years later, the car ended up with a number of problems that the garage said would cost at least $4,000 to fix. 

We bought a new car instead.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #329 on: September 28, 2012, 07:33:24 PM »
Yeah, I was really torn over the initial $3600. If I'd known it would go to $4400 with the head gasket, I'd have done what you did.

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #330 on: September 30, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
We bought a Mazda CX-7 last Saturday. I decided to keep my Civic because it would be a good backup car, a good car for my dad, whatever, and I knew I'd never get shit for it trading it in. My husband's WRX was going into the autobody shop that week from our accident back in March (finally. fuck insurance companies btw), so he'd be able to drive my Civic until he car was out of the shop.

The transmission on the Civic went out on Monday. :gloomy Should've traded that bastard in when I had the chance.

We're really happy with the Mazda though. Sooo much easier with the car seat than my 2-door Honda Civic :lol
(|)

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #331 on: October 12, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »
Today I installed HIDs and washed the car

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #332 on: October 13, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »

I bought the component needed to hold down the nose of the car and get rid of that misift with the hood, but haven't installed it yet.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »
Holy shit!  :bow AV :bow2

How much has it cost you so far?  It looks fucking gorgeous. 

I had to put my Corvette in storage for a few months while we get some stuff situated so unfortunately all work has stopped on it :( :( 

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
Holy shit!  :bow AV :bow2

How much has it cost you so far?  It looks fucking gorgeous. 

I had to put my Corvette in storage for a few months while we get some stuff situated so unfortunately all work has stopped on it :( :(

Let's see

$3600 for the car
$2940 for the paint, clear coat, rim restore, headliner, tint
$300 to finish the exhaust
$300 to have the shift cable replaced (the only actual maintenence issue and it was my own fault)
$600 for various accessories, including center console lid, headliner, glove box wire, floor mats, trim pieces, antenna
$100 for new decals
$300 for the front clip bracket, pedal covers, center caps
$200 for a high spec battery
$300 for the HID conversion kit

I sold my old Monte Carlo to a friend for $400 and the drag rims the current Monte Carlo came with for $125.

I don't have anything left to buy. Well, actually I want a reproduction original radio that has an AUX jack grafted into it, I can't find it but for other cars they are $150-250. I also want mud flaps, probably from a junk yard, and I want to replace the instrument cluster lighting with LEDs. Maybe the front turn signals too (yellow bars in night shots)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:34:58 AM by AdmiralViscen »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #335 on: October 16, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
That's not bad at all.  For less than $10k you'll be driving a beautiful, reliable classic.  Awesome job, man!

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #336 on: October 16, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
Thanks!  :)

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #337 on: October 19, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
Looking at it again the lines on that hood are so fucking sexy.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #338 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:57 PM »
I love it too, and the subtle lines in the profile. That is why I did not go with black.

Also because I liked my old car so much, pictured here, sold to a friend.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #339 on: October 22, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
Should I get a custom license plate?

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #340 on: October 22, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
Man, first winter with my mustang- not looking forward to dem roads. Thankfully I have the equipment to work remote rite :*(
o_0

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2012, 07:25:54 PM »
I drove a Mustang GT convertible through the abysmal 2009/2010 Winter in New York with no problem. We had 8+ inches of snow 5 or 6 times that season. Then I drove my RWD 300C through the 2010/2011 winter that was almost as bad.

If you know how to drive you will be fine.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #342 on: October 22, 2012, 07:28:16 PM »
WE WILL SEE- STAY TUNED
o_0

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #343 on: October 22, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
I'm going to garage my Genesis again this winter.  My ol' 2000 Cavalier is still sputtering away.

It'll suck driving the Cavalier for nearly four months, but I want to protect my baby from Canadian winters for as long as I can.
MMA

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #344 on: October 22, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »

:punch

MrAngryFace

« Reply #345 on: October 22, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »
First thing I did after getting my mustang was getting a covered parking spot
o_0

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #346 on: October 22, 2012, 09:19:09 PM »
I couldn't get the car in and out of the driveway :lol

It has a really steep dip at the bottom that turns into a slushy butthole

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #347 on: October 23, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
I tried this for the first time today

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #349 on: December 11, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »
That is a horrible photoshop. I've seen better chops on forums.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #350 on: December 12, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »
That is a horrible photoshop. I've seen better chops on forums.
well outside of some small details, I think it's been agreed that is basically how the C7 will look considering that the CAD drawings for the vehicle have been leaked for a while and there are spy shots galore.  Either way, all the grumblings point towards a smaller, more powerful V8.  Unless they turned it into a V6 I was always going to get one.

https://sites.google.com/site/rcallen484/_/rsrc/1354161451021/config/pagetemplates/pictures/263609_10151348055747238_1862999109_n.jpg

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #351 on: December 12, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »
I rather like it.

I'd love to get a Corvette in a few years when it's time to move on from my Genesis.  Not sure whether it could realistically be in my price range.

The other thing is, having a rear seat in a coupe is pretty necessary for me, both for storage and for the once-in-a-blue-moon when I need to transport a third person.  Not sure how I'd make do with a two-seater.
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #352 on: December 12, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »
The back hatch in a C6 is pretty damn roomy.  Just tie whoever up back there (or let them roll around I guess).  In a few years the C6's will be a lot cheaper and are still fast and beautiful cars.  You can find a 2007 with 50k miles for about 20-22 grand right now. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #353 on: December 12, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »
 :tophat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #354 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »

Finally replaced the antenna- so that's a start. I think really all I want to do is de-chrome the car entirely and call it good; I don't think I'll even do a small spoiler. The 2012 mustang has a great look- so get rid of the chrome and ta da

You can see the difference in this slightly older image I took while out n about parkin next to DAT CHALLENGER
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:39:39 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #355 on: December 12, 2012, 01:42:31 PM »
No intake filter or exhaust, MAF???

MrAngryFace

« Reply #356 on: December 12, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »
Cosmetic stuff first- easiest; i'll have this car forever if possible. I didn't get much of anything done this year- spent most of my bux on travel/family so there wasn't a lot extra for a lot of the stuff I wanted to do.
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #357 on: December 12, 2012, 01:49:05 PM »
ah ok.  I thought you meant you were good on any modifications.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #358 on: December 12, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »
I need to get off my ass and replace the alloys first I think- that's the expensive bit of the cosmetic shit- but I cant decide on a look aside from matte black
o_0

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #359 on: December 18, 2012, 06:25:45 PM »
MAF, where did you get that stubby antenna? Is it universal or only for Mustangs? I have to unscrew mine on the MC when I put the cover on it.