Author Topic: The Bore Car Thread Of Distuinguished Motoring Gentlemen  (Read 76173 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: BORE CAR THREAD - MAF ONLY KNOWS HOW TO DRIVE THEM
« Reply #480 on: February 08, 2016, 09:39:35 AM »
I'm getting the itch for a new vehicle. I'm in my last year of my car loan on the Jetta. My 2 bosses both got new vehicles within the last 6 months.

I can tell I'm getting old because Cadillacs are looking really nice. I can get a 2013 AWD SRX with 30k mile for $24k which is as high as I really want to go.
©ZH

« Reply #481 on: February 08, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »
I'm thinking I'm going to get a Tundra as my next vehicle. It's boring, but it's not American and pulls a lot which are my basic requirements.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #482 on: February 08, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
Aren't they made in America though? That's like somehow double American.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #483 on: February 08, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »
Usually people get the big trucks to compensate for something but I'm not going to immediately assume that about you. Do you need to pull more than what a Colorado/Tacoma/Ridgeline could do?

Aren't they made in America though? That's like somehow double American.

Yeah, they assemble them here and I think their powertrains are also made in the US. Same goes for the Honda Ridgeline.

« Reply #484 on: February 08, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
I drive a Honda Fit, currently. So you can tell I definitely use my vehicle as an expression of my manhood. I'd rather have a Tacoma but I need to pull a trailer that weighs 8,000 lbs. Thanks for your concern, though.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #485 on: February 09, 2016, 01:50:07 AM »
Yeah, I know. Your masculinity does not seem like something you might be insecure about. The Colorado diesel can do nearly that much and it is kind of a critical darling this year but I'd rather get the Tundra too, get to stick out.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #486 on: February 09, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »
I didn't know there was a car thread, neato. I just bought my 3rd STi in December 2015. The 2016 STis finally upgraded their entertainment package but they kept the same 2.5 engine so that's a bummer.
rub

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #487 on: February 09, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »
I didn't know there was a car thread, neato. I just bought my 3rd STi in December 2015. The 2016 STis finally upgraded their entertainment package but they kept the same 2.5 engine so that's a bummer.

Oho, do you get the same Pioneer thing with buggy CarPlay as I did?
地平線

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:52 AM »

No, mine's the US model so they use Clarion for their head units. We're begging for some sort of upgrade for CarPlay but that won't happen. This one features "MirrorView" which is supported on 5 different Android phones running 4.2 up to 4.3. Quality stuff. The sound actually is ok and the iPhone integration is all right but CarPlay would be neat.

If anyone (in the US I think) wants $500 off a new Subaru just ask, I have coupons.
rub

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #489 on: February 09, 2016, 06:19:53 PM »

No, mine's the US model so they use Clarion for their head units. We're begging for some sort of upgrade for CarPlay but that won't happen. This one features "MirrorView" which is supported on 5 different Android phones running 4.2 up to 4.3. Quality stuff. The sound actually is ok and the iPhone integration is all right but CarPlay would be neat.

(Image removed from quote.)

If anyone (in the US I think) wants $500 off a new Subaru just ask, I have coupons.

Nice. I kinda like those wheels too, are they made for STi by BBS? I have my winter wheels on right now (bought the car in November) but I'm thinking about getting new wheels for the summer set too since I'm not at all fond of the stock BRZ/GT86 ones. I'm really pining for the STi BRZ wheels you can get in Japan, but it'd cost me a pretty penny to ship them over here  :-\
地平線

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #490 on: February 09, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »
Yeah those are the BBS. I liked the previous 18 spoke from 11 and 13 better but these are nice. I put my winters on too, cheap MTS with 17's but wow can they grip. I've stopped on hills to help people out of the snow. This car is just unstoppable.

How do you like the BRZ?! It's so low to the ground! Maybe someone on  NASIOC or someplace else will sell you JDM stocks for cheap - they're constantly upgrading crap there.
rub

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #491 on: February 10, 2016, 06:29:57 AM »
How do you like the BRZ?! It's so low to the ground! Maybe someone on  NASIOC or someplace else will sell you JDM stocks for cheap - they're constantly upgrading crap there.

It's very nice. I've wanted to own one since I saw the concept all those years ago, so quite happy now. It's maybe a bit thirstier in city driving than I thought, although I guess I'm not exactly eco-driving it either. I've not had any problems with the ground clearance except for a couple of weeks ago when we got a ~10 inch snow dump overnight...

地平線

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #492 on: February 10, 2016, 07:58:36 AM »
Man that is a pretty car and a great picture.
rub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #493 on: April 18, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
It has finally gotten to the point where I feel that I need a second car-- my wife uses ours to go back and forth to work, while I take the train.  The problem is that ever since we bought a home last year, getting to the station has been a little more difficult. 

This is gonna be my car.  I got the "family car" last time and am pretty much free to get whatever.  While I think for most people that means a sports car, for me that means...a tiny car. 

I keep on hearing that Smart Cars suck, so those were out.  Was looking into the 2016 Chevy Spark -really a rebranded Daewoo- but then heard something good about the Scion IQ from a family friend who has one.  Nice n' tiny, but still larger than the Smart on the inside to have a tiny little back seat area.  Plus it has more HP and a better ride. 

Went a Car Max and test drove a 2014 model this morning.  I was ready to buy after seeing that the car only had like 17,000 miles, but the previous owner treated this thing like shit and there were dents and scratches all over the outside, plus stains inside.  :yuck

Decided to try out Carvana.  They're an online-only used car dealer-- you order a car and get it delivered (or pick it up from a location which gives you the vehicle GIANT VENDING MACHINE STYLE), then get to test drive it on the spot and get a week to return it if you don't like it.  Plus they offer a much better warranty than Car Max, around 4100 miles or three months from purchase.

Ordered a black 2014 IQ from them with 23,000 miles.  You can view 360 degree photos of the vehicles on their site and it only has a few minor scratches.   It was about $500 cheaper than Car Max's price and I may get even more of a discount from them, since someone screwed up and listed it as a Scion 10th Anniversary model.  These were very limited and had some minor upgrades over the base models.

Should take delivery next Monday.  Then it's time to get out on the road and SMOKE BITCHES. :pimp

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not really  :lol
[close]

ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #494 on: April 18, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »
It's so cute. :uguu
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:20:06 PM by Rufus »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #495 on: April 18, 2016, 04:20:50 PM »
It looks like a fun handling car with the wheels far in the corners. Another option would be a Fiat 500 but those are so common now (plus Italian reliability  :gloomy).

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #496 on: April 18, 2016, 04:36:15 PM »
I would go for Fiat, but like you said...reliability. 

If the IQ didn't work out, it would have been the Spark or just fuck it...regular sized car.  I do like the look of the Hyundai Veloster.

I've seen Smart Cars on the road.  Plenty of Sparks recently.  Even a little ass two door Yaris.  But I have NEVER seen an IQ on the road.  :lol  Wish I had looked into this last year...probably still could have found one new.

I would love to get some customization done on it.  I've heard that Smart Car owners will make their cars look like little sports carts and put wind-up keys in the back.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:40:24 PM by funky action »
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #497 on: April 18, 2016, 06:26:47 PM »
The iQ was originally designed for euro markets but Toyota decided to test it here I'm guessing after they saw how popular the 500 got. I've heard good things about it so hopefully it works for your needs. I've driven a 4 door Spark (rental) and it was pretty nice except for the CVT transmission being sluggish on the on ramps.

Edit: one thing to also consider is the iQ is going to be discontinued so it will retain its rarity.  :P

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #498 on: April 18, 2016, 08:33:17 PM »
Any good forums for car discussion?  I'm sure I could just type "car forum" but it'd be like typing "gaming forum" and end up at NeoGAF.

Looking to get a new car (BMW M5) and want to make sure I dot the is and cross the ts before buying.
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #499 on: April 18, 2016, 09:11:46 PM »
Here in poor town, I'm buying a Honda Fit in a month or so yaaaaaaaaaaay
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #500 on: April 19, 2016, 01:31:22 PM »
Edit: one thing to also consider is the iQ is going to be discontinued so it will retain its rarity.  :P

Already was...I read that the 2015 model was the last one, but I think that must be a mistake because I have never seen a 2015 model listed for sale anywhere.

Here in poor town, I'm buying a Honda Fit in a month or so yaaaaaaaaaaay

That's my other car.  Nice n' reliable, with plenty of cargo space.  Not interested in spending a lot on cars.  I just want something reliable and cheap or decently-priced.

:idont
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #501 on: April 25, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »
OK, got the car...Carvana was right on time at 12:00 PM on the nose.  Had the car and paperwork signed in about 10 minutes!  Took it to a Toyota dealer to see about getting it checked out, but the guy knew Carvana and said not to worry about them and that they were quite reputable.  He checked the VIN and maintenance was last done in October, with no known issues reported.  So it looks good!

That was an incredibly easy, hassle-free vehicle purchase.

ど助平

« Reply #502 on: April 25, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »
Any good forums for car discussion?  I'm sure I could just type "car forum" but it'd be like typing "gaming forum" and end up at NeoGAF.

Looking to get a new car (BMW M5) and want to make sure I dot the is and cross the ts before buying.

www.bimmerforums.com

« Reply #503 on: April 25, 2016, 04:42:50 PM »
That iQ looks awesome, funky action. I drive a Honda Fit now but will probably be replacing it with a half ton truck someone the near future. Would love something even smaller than the Fit as a secondary. I’ll be looking into the iQ for sure.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #504 on: April 25, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »
I never thought I'd be referring to the Fit as my "big car," but now it fits that description!  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #505 on: April 28, 2016, 07:42:42 PM »
Does anyone know what this part is?  It was found in my parking space.  The part number says "8030 AISAN".

[close]
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #506 on: April 28, 2016, 09:19:06 PM »
It's a speed sensor!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #507 on: April 29, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »
Took the car in at around 6:45 this morning. "Uh...that part may have fallen out of your car, but it's really old and your car wouldn't be able to run without one.  That thing is bolted up in there.  Someone probably took it out when they changed it and forgot about it or couldn't get to it, and it came loose and finally fell out."  

:dead

But hey, I had enough time left in the morning to go back home and go back to sleep for another hour.  :lol
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #508 on: May 14, 2016, 09:43:17 PM »
ICY HOT STUNTIN BREHS

yar

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #509 on: July 03, 2016, 05:05:22 PM »
Went out and drove some nice twisties on this purdy sunday night. This was at 9.30PM-ish.

地平線

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #510 on: July 03, 2016, 07:38:15 PM »
Went out and drove some nice twisties on this purdy sunday night. This was at 9.30PM-ish.

Does it do good as an RWD vehicle on the turns? Or do you just throttle through any looseness?
rub

« Reply #511 on: July 03, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »
I thought the BRZ was RWD.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #512 on: July 04, 2016, 01:05:17 AM »
It is. It's the bastard child of an REI shopper and a Hachi Roku. (Which is why it rules.)

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #513 on: July 04, 2016, 03:17:10 AM »

Does it do good as an RWD vehicle on the turns? Or do you just throttle through any looseness?

Well. There's really not enough torque to break traction at will, unless you seriously hoof it at up to maybe third gear at ~5k RPM. So it's a fairly planted momentum car, even when it's a bit greasy. Of course you can feel some adjustability, and you can feel the torsen diff working out of slower corners, so it's definitely got a nice RWD feeling. It's just not a powerslide type car in stock form. And I'm fine with that.
地平線

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #514 on: November 16, 2016, 12:50:25 AM »
I spent 2 months looking for a fully loaded Mazda3 in dark blue with a manual transmission which is an almost impossible combination to find in 'murica. On Saturday I saw exactly the car I was looking for (at a good price) but it was all the way in LA. I still foolishly took an overnight bus down and got there when the dealership opened, barely had any sleep. After a few hours I finally test drive it and get the salesperson to take $300 off even though I had no right to ask for that. Another couple hours for the paperwork I get home exactly 24 hours after it all began.

So now I say goodbye to the leaky, high-maintenance fruits of Swedish engineering.

[close]

And hello to the Japanese.
[close]

All worth it not to have a boring car. :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Bore Car Thread Of Distuinguished Motoring Gentlemen
« Reply #515 on: December 22, 2018, 04:44:09 PM »
After my unfortunate auto accident about two weeks back, the insurance company decided a that my Scion IQ wasn't worth fixing and marked it as totaled. Set off to find another one and it almost seemed like fate that the same company I got the last one from, Carvana, had one for sale.  The exterior was pristine and it looked almost brand new.  Unfortunately, the interior was pretty nasty and damaged, plus Carfax showed that the previous owner never had it serviced after they bought it (wut).

So, returned it to Carvana this morning- absolutely no hassle whatsoever; just go in, sign one form, give them the keys, and that's it.

Wanted another little car for zipping around town/midtown and don't care about power, so checked into the Chevy Spark since the newer models get great reviews.  Went to a Chevy dealer with a shitload of year end deals and got a 2019 Spark Activ for almost $4000 off.  Not too bad!

TIME TO OWN THE ROAD AGAIN WITH A WHOPPING, INSANE, UNFATHOMABLE
98 horsepower

Pros: Has some nice interior extras like heated leather seats, touch screen system with iPhone and Android auto, and exterior stuff like fog lamps.  Very impressed that such a cheap, small car has a lot of nice features inside.
:leon

Cons: Looks like a Fit.  Why does every freaking hatchback that comes out look like a Fit?  :lol  I checked every car manufacturer's site like all of the current hatchback subcompacts look the same.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:51:35 PM by bork »
ど助平

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #516 on: December 22, 2018, 04:51:07 PM »
My brother got one of those and absolutely loves it. Congrats!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #517 on: December 22, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »
My brother got one of those and absolutely loves it. Congrats!

Only concern is that it won't be a POS that needs lots of maintenance.  Never owned a Chevy vehicle before.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #518 on: December 22, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
Wait, it's made by GM Korea- formerly Daewoo.  Never mind!  :usacry
ど助平

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #519 on: December 22, 2018, 05:36:41 PM »
yeah he told me it has held up really well. My brother is tough on cars too. So the fact that he hasn’t had any issues is quite amazing. That dude kills motors left and right.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #520 on: December 22, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »
Improper maintenance, changing gear while rolling (this bugs the shit out of me) and just generally abrupt changes in RPM’s. It’s easier to destroy an automatic if you drive it like you could a manual. The tcm has to try to predict your moves and so aggressive driving styles in most cars will fuck then up pretty bad unless you have modes designed for aggressive driving. Basically don’t drive your Subaru Outback like a corvette.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #521 on: December 22, 2018, 06:44:50 PM »
Wait, automatics? lol. He's probably never changing the oil, ever.
Basically don’t drive your Subaru like a corvette.
My 2005 Subaru Legacy begged to differ :bolo
每天生气

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #522 on: December 22, 2018, 07:19:34 PM »
Haha that’s why I edited. I often drive my wife’s Subaru Outback though so that’s what came to mind.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #523 on: December 22, 2018, 08:33:37 PM »
I'm not even bullshitting, he's destroyed every vehicle he's driven since the late 90s, all just happen to have transmissions go out on them or he wrecks them.
:mindblown
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #524 on: December 22, 2018, 09:46:22 PM »
I guess my car is pretty boring, but I love it. 2018 Honda Accord Sport. It gets great gas mileage (although not as good as my '16 EX that I traded in for this one), and it's a turbo so it can be somewhat nimble in the sport mode. And I think it looks great, I get a lot of compliments on it, people say it looks like a Lexus. Not bad for a mid-range sedan.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #525 on: December 22, 2018, 11:32:19 PM »
Really liking the Jetta we got and using almost any excuse to drive it. Heated seats, CarPlay, blind spot notifier and other stuff is real nice to have and I miss them driving our Scion now. :lol Also really liking the turbo, it's a fun little drive and feels both really smooth and really zippy. Thinking about taking a longer drive with it up to Denver next week if the weather stays nice.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:37:45 PM by nachobro »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #527 on: January 08, 2020, 04:04:48 PM »
Had a civic when I lived in California. Great car. Sold it to some Chinese professor I had and he wrecked it within a month.
每天生气

Tripon

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty

Tripon

« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #532 on: January 28, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »
Hey, can you guys recommend me a 2020 not-ugly looking smaller sedan/coupe that's nice and comfortable on the inside for all passengers, reliable, and under 50k? I was look at the Mercedes E450 after reading Car & Drivers top10 breakdowns but it's more like $70k and would like something a little cheaper because cars are a terrible investment and just throwing money away.

Also preferably Japanese brand because I'm a weaboo and always driven JPN cars.

Bebpo

« Reply #533 on: January 28, 2020, 02:56:56 PM »
Also I had a thought last night after my S2K failed to start again. So basically I've had electrical issues that no one can diagnose as long as I can remember with this car and batteries getting killed, starters dying, etc... and no one can figure it out. It's made the car unreliable for driving and usually when I go on long road trips I borrow a car from my parents because of it now.

The only after market parts I put it after I bought it was I always go to Best Buy with a new car and replace the speakers with good strong speakers and bluetooth player. Thought I had today is, is there any chance the big strong speakers are pulling too much power from the electric and the root of all my electric problems?

Bebpo

« Reply #534 on: January 28, 2020, 03:50:12 PM »
Hey, can you guys recommend me a 2020 not-ugly looking smaller sedan/coupe that's nice and comfortable on the inside for all passengers, reliable, and under 50k? I was look at the Mercedes E450 after reading Car & Drivers top10 breakdowns but it's more like $70k and would like something a little cheaper because cars are a terrible investment and just throwing money away.

Also preferably Japanese brand because I'm a weaboo and always driven JPN cars.

Looking around if I'm looking for something used off a 3 year lease, from 2017 or 2018, maybe 2017 BMW 240i, 2018 Audi RS3, or 2018 Mercedes E400?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #535 on: January 28, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
it's slightly too early for the 2020 models for most makers, but they usually launch in spring.

i'll always recommend a jetta (or passat if you want a bigger sedan) for a quick little car with a turbo that still has plenty of room. an SEL Premium is their nicer model with the big touchscreen nav and leather interior. vw also does the arteon as their "fancy AWD sedan" which has leather by default and plenty of nice features plus a nice turbo.

for japanese, the lexus es/es hybrid get really good reviews, have a bigger engine, and all the fancy touchscreen bits plus it gives you more than the bmw 3 series at about the same price.

or there's the new supra for fun new japanese cars but that starts at your 50k limit and doesn't seat 4 people if you care about that. :lol

re: your second question - bmw and merc both lose a lot of value (audi too but not as much) in the secondary market so that'd be a good place to spend less money but still get a nice car. plus the owners of those usually take good care of them so you would have less worry on that front.

also the nice bit is anything newer will already have a solid and powerful sound system so you shouldn't have to best buy it. :lol
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:15:32 PM by nachobro »

BisMarckie

« Reply #536 on: January 28, 2020, 04:20:43 PM »
I am car shopping myself right now.
The Skoda Superb is one of my favorites in that class right now. It looks great and they are using VW tech but are a decent amount cheaper. It's basically a Passat but IMHO looks way better.
Although  I don't think they are available in the US, but I could be wrong.

The E400 is a beautiful car, I don't think I would be willing to pay for the Mercedes premium though as it's not very exciting to drive. The A45 is cheaper but way more fun to drive and has 421hp (:drool)

After buying a Kia Ceed for my wife I am honestly really impressed with their build quality. I was always in the German cars or bust camp, but Kia really surprised me.
The Kia Optima is a very nice looking car, interior looks and feels good, haven't driven it yet.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #537 on: January 28, 2020, 04:25:18 PM »
Kia is surprisingly solid. I always figured they were a secondary type of brand but i test drove a Stinger GT and it felt really well made, very solid but still pretty quick, plus they have good reviews. IIRC the GT is like 40k so you're still in a good spot pricewise too.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #538 on: January 28, 2020, 05:13:35 PM »
sidenote: when looking at various cars it surprised me that the optima and the non-gli jettas weren't available in manual. seems to be hard to find these days

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #539 on: January 28, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
I bought my shit right before apple play/large screen was included in everything and it's infuriating.  :maf