Author Topic: I have decided to sell out  (Read 6100 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: I have decided to sell out
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »
i luv jQuery

would like to try Ruby.
fat

Tasty

« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
Ruby feels almost too hipster, even for me. I know I should give it a shot sometime though... CoffeeScript is higher on my list, and it's like inspired by Ruby so maybe I can get away with just that. >.>

Also jQuery is <3 and I'd go  :supergay for Paul Irish.

Himu

« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »
Hahahahaha at people buying into S, E, and M (science, engineering, math) ITT
IYKYK

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
I don't follow.

Himu

« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
Talking specifically about the college "kids" like PD and FoC. "If I go this safe route, I'll make bank! It's guaranteed to happen!"
IYKYK

« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
Gotcha.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
Nothing is guaranteed, only death is guaranteed

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
Math teaching atleast is a guaranteed profession because math sucks ass.  I needt odecide waht I want to do tho :( What are the worthless degrees besides English?
USA

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2012, 11:16:11 AM »
I could be mistaken, but I don't think history degrees are worth much.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »
Talking specifically about the college "kids" like PD and FoC. "If I go this safe route, I'll make bank! It's guaranteed to happen!"

Agreed, brother.  There is no guaranteed job these days and probably will never be.  Considering how jobs are coming back at lower pay than before the recession, considering how many degrees are going to get saturated (it already is for stuff like sociology, psychology, etc.), and considering how most of the high paying jobs created in the STEM world these days are in oil and gas (which is only because oil goes for an obscene amount per barrel), people shouldn't assume anything about the job market.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:28:15 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »

Tall words from someone who wants to study abroad in London because "It's cheaper"

Look man, I did my undergrad in what I thought I wanted to do with my life. I was even one of the lucky ones to get a decent job doing it. But after 2 years of doing it I saw a bleak future. I saw myself doing this and having absolutely no room to grow. I applied for so many jobs to try and get back to the city that my ex was in and I wasn't even getting interviews. Over all I probably applied for hundreds of jobs and got 1 interview over the course of 8-10 months. And I felt like I should have had an upper hand because I had been and was employed. I looked into my future and saw myself making the exact same amount I am making now in 5-10 years and I said "Fuck this" and decided to find a job that people actually need and has room for growth. I've always been great with math and I loved money, so I said  "fuck it," and dove into accounting. I did well enough on my GMAT and in a few community college courses that I was accepted into the best accounting grad school in the country. I finally feel like I might have a future.

This isnt the safe route. The safe route for me would have been doing the same shit that I am doing now for the next 30 years. Iv'e been busing my ass over the past 10 months. Working full time, taking night classes, studying for the GMAT and training for a fucking Ironman triathlon. I've been busier than ever before and I feel like a million bucks.

Himu

« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »

Tall words from someone who wants to study abroad in London because "It's cheaper"

http://chronicle.com/article/Study-Abroad-Numbers-Rebound/129755/

:wtf
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
As an aside, the fact that most of you people are concentrating your efforts on America, especially when talking about MONEY is pretty narrow minded. If you guys want to make dough, try looking overseas. Not only will this look good on your resume in the future, you will be adding to a global and international culture as the world becomes more and more tightly knit and ESPECIALLY as America loses even more jobs and jobs continue going outside the country.

Try to predict trends and look to the future. Do not think in small term.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
I did well enough on my GMAT and in a few community college courses that I was accepted into the best accounting grad school in the country. I finally feel like I might have a future.
Which school is this?

Tasty

« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2012, 12:40:47 PM »
As an aside, the fact that most of you people are concentrating your efforts on America, especially when talking about MONEY is pretty narrow minded. If you guys want to make dough, try looking overseas. Not only will this look good on your resume in the future, you will be adding to a global and international culture as the world becomes more and more tightly knit and ESPECIALLY as America loses even more jobs and jobs continue going outside the country.

Tech startup scene is kind of pathetic outside the US, heck SV. NY and Boston are OK but aside from those three it's like a barren wasteland (thankfully, don't really want to move outside the country.)

Best nation ever.  :usacry

Himu

« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »

Tech startup scene is kind of pathetic outside the US, heck SV. NY and Boston are OK but aside from those three it's like a barren wasteland (thankfully, don't really want to move outside the country.)

That's exactly WHY you should jump in. If other countries are lacking in tech jobs, well guess what, buddy? They're probably trying to get some development in that area done. Join up now, and you will be a treasure and PROBABLY get some bank in the process too while helping a foreign nation build up their tech sector.

But I guess staying in America where everyone is getting saturated degrees and hoping to GET DAT AMERICAN DREAM while being jobless for a fucking year is a much better alternative!
IYKYK

« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
Himu, I don't want to seem combative, but can you you help me understand why you are an authority on achieving success? Didn't you just get a job locally after a sustained period of unemployment? Mind you, I don't think your advice is terrible. I'm just trying to understand why you're so cocksure about it.

Tasty

« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »
That's exactly WHY you should jump in. If other countries are lacking in tech jobs, well guess what, buddy? They're probably trying to get some development in that area done.

Not really about the tech sector, it's about other countries fundamentally lacking in venture capital and investors.

Himu

« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »
Himu, I don't want to seem combative, but can you you help me understand why you are an authority on achieving success? Didn't you just get a job locally after a sustained period of unemployment? Mind you, I don't think your advice is terrible. I'm just trying to understand why you're so cocksure about it.

I'm not cocksure about being successful abroad. I AM cocksure, however, about America's education/job situation, because I personally experienced it, meanwhile, the politicians are not offering any solutions/alternatives. My solution? Save money to move, bail out to a place that's in need of my skills. That's not to say it's an inherently American problem, because many European nations are going through similar things (boomers growing old but refusing to give up their jobs for the young;etc) but the symptoms are significantly less worse. Also, if you have been paying any attention at all to international news, looking outside American borders could be a good investment for the future in a global economical and cultural standpoint.
IYKYK

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »
That's all well and good. However, my contention is that the language you're employing is perhaps a tad arrogant from someone who simply has ideas that he hasn't actually followed through on. If that's just the style that you're going for, then rock on. However, you seem a little patronizing for someone who has done none of the things that you're suggesting, as far as I know.

That's just an observation I had. I still think you're great, Himu.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »
Well my dream is to move to England because I love football more than anything. The problem is it's almost impossible to move into England and get a job because you have to proove you have a skill that a perosn in England can't do.

What do you guys think a job would be that would qualify as that? That's kind of waht pushed me towards like maybe History and education, but I think studying about American history might unqualify me.
USA

Tasty

« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »
Can't wait to move to Greece. Hear they have a booming tech sector. :hyper

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
woops i forgiot to type dat like this
USA

Himu

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »
You confuse my intentions. I'm merely throwing the idea out there. My language probably seems pretty aggressive, because I've had an aggressive morning and I'm FEELIN' SALTY.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
If you have extensive skills in three or more of the following you have it made in Cali: HTML5, JavaScript, Node, iOS dev, Android dev, jQuery, Git, Ruby.

Random question:  Is it at all difficult to learn this stuff in your free time.  Not for a career or anything since I'm happy where I'm at.  Just for 'fun' or to have a better understanding of software development, coding, w/e.

« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
Fair enough.

Link: No, not really. Not if you're at all motivated and somewhat tech savvy. The hard part of development involves stuff like analysis and proper planning. There are also more advanced branches if you're working on coding solutions to complex problems, or doing 3-d graphical stuff, or AI, or stuff like that.

But just learning how to make a page work? It's not that difficult.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:17:07 PM by Steve Youngblood »

Himu

« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2012, 01:16:12 PM »
Well my dream is to move to England because I love football more than anything. The problem is it's almost impossible to move into England and get a job because you have to proove you have a skill that a perosn in England can't do.

What do you guys think a job would be that would qualify as that? That's kind of waht pushed me towards like maybe History and education, but I think studying about American history might unqualify me.

The best way to move to UK is through schooling. If you go to school there, you will land connections while also having a Visa.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2012, 01:16:59 PM »
If you have extensive skills in three or more of the following you have it made in Cali: HTML5, JavaScript, Node, iOS dev, Android dev, jQuery, Git, Ruby.

Random question:  Is it at all difficult to learn this stuff in your free time.  Not for a career or anything since I'm happy where I'm at.  Just for 'fun' or to have a better understanding of software development, coding, w/e.

I love it, it's great fun for me but everyone's different. Then again I only have an appreciation for HTML5 and jQuery because I did things the hard(er) ways for a few years. Those two really amp things up and make dev fun again.

For me at least. The key is that you have to have an idea you want to mess around with and then go for it.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »

Games are piss easy to make. I was in college for a year on how to make games and I could've learned everything from that class just by buying a few books on how to develop.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Flash-Game-Programming-Dummies/dp/0764589628/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334337395&sr=8-3

I loved this book alot. It's useless now that flash is dead, but it was great.

Also there's programs like StencylWorks, which literally require no programming skills to make a iOS or android games.
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »

The best way to move to UK is through schooling. If you go to school there, you will land connections while also having a Visa.

Yes but border patrol will still think you're trying to move in to do something illegal. I need to investigate what job markets are lacking in england right now. There's always English as a Second Language in Spain that I eyed, but that would take years of education (would have to know spanish + education) when I want to get out of the US in the next 5 years.
USA

Himu

« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2012, 01:20:32 PM »
Also, Sir Thomas, UK is having an anti-immigration shtick going on due to the current political party in charge (the conservative party, David Cameron pm).
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
Yeah. Worse comes to worse there's austrailia, new zealand or ireland.  :yuck
USA

Himu

« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
I'm aiming at NZ. :heartbeat I'm going to visit Oz/NZ this year. :heartbeat

Oz/NZ in particular is looking for a lot of jobs in specific areas, particularly tech/it.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »
Did you do studying abroad?
USA

Himu

« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »
I was going to but ended up missing the boat. Big regret but it was just going to be a semester.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
I want to do it badly. I can't decide though what I want to do. What kind of path would I have to go down for ESL?
USA

Himu

« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
I don't know anything about the Spanish situation in Europe. Germany is looking like a good place though, and is experiencing an exodus, so they're lacking in certain areas as well.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »
I wish I knew thing 1 about germany other than Bundesliga is really good  :'(
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »
it's a shame they speak german  :-\
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »
also holy crap some schools require atleast a 3.0 to do study abroad.
USA

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
can't have you make the school look bad
dur

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
are history degres that bad i was going to go for one with a minor in education i wanan teach history
Yup.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »

This nicca's measure of success is how many laps at the park he can do. Fat fuck.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »

NO

Just apply it to whatever you want. Make a fansite, make something you would deem useful. Make something that categorizes your gaming library.

Here's some useful links on "learning"

http://www.teamtreehouse.com/

http://www.codeacademy.com/

Look at examples on other websites, STEAL those examples. The idea is to understand why it works.
fat

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
No idea if this applies anymore, but back in my day this is what worked for us to try things on:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

There is probably something better though.

Tasty

« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2012, 02:43:33 PM »

NO

Just apply it to whatever you want. Make a fansite, make something you would deem useful. Make something that categorizes your gaming library.

Look at examples on other websites, STEAL those examples. The idea is to understand why it works.

Yeah. Personal projects are the best way to learn.

Also be sure to check out

http://html5rocks.com (look at all the cool things browsers can do!)

https://developer.mozilla.org (best documentation, DO NOT USE w3schools.)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »
w3schools documentation and tuts are just fine for a beginner.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »

Seattle/Portland are ok too
QED

Tasty

« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »
w3schools documentation and tuts are just fine for a beginner.

Theys horrible. Stay away. Stay far away.

Go here: http://www.google.com/reviews/t?hl=en

And put w3schools on there like I did. *, ww, and www versions.

Seattle/Portland are ok too

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe. What are some good startups there?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »
W3's documentation on stuff like JavaScript are poor. I've certainly found better just by looking around.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
I like Chris Coyer's css-tricks as well, he always posts something useful or just "hey that's neat"

http://www.css-tricks.com/

I would also do Chris Coyier.
fat

Beezy

« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2012, 03:06:10 PM »
A 3.0 isn't hard to get.

Tasty

« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
I like Chris Coyer's css-tricks as well, he always posts something useful or just "hey that's neat"

http://www.css-tricks.com/

I would also do Chris Coyier.

Wow, never heard of that site before. Thanks for the link. :)

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
the logical part of coding is fun to do. putting together and dbeugging a big "if..then..else" statement is balla
USA

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
I don't really even want to be rich ever, I just want to STOP BEING POOR.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »
Hop on Cam4 and get those delicious tokens
fat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
wats cam4
USA

cool breeze

« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
I love it, it's great fun for me but everyone's different. Then again I only have an appreciation for HTML5 and jQuery because I did things the hard(er) ways for a few years. Those two really amp things up and make dev fun again.

For me at least. The key is that you have to have an idea you want to mess around with and then go for it.
Games are piss easy to make. I was in college for a year on how to make games and I could've learned everything from that class just by buying a few books on how to develop.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Flash-Game-Programming-Dummies/dp/0764589628/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334337395&sr=8-3

I loved this book alot. It's useless now that flash is dead, but it was great.

Also there's programs like StencylWorks, which literally require no programming skills to make a iOS or android games.

NO

thanks! (also the other posts but it'll start getting messy with all the quoting)

I don't really have any concrete ideas.  Just feel like learning a new skill for fun, and maybe I'll figure out something from there.

Tasty

« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
Sure. I love answering questions about stuff like that so PM me if you need something answered.