Author Topic: I have decided to sell out  (Read 6101 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
I have decided to sell out
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:12:15 AM »
What's the quickest way to start making money?  This barely scraping by shit has to go.  I'm going back to school, but fuck economics.  I want to make money as soon as possible.  What fields start with decent pay, good benefits, and plenty of hookers n blow?  I'm smart, newly motivated and can be as mean as fucking necessary.
yar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: I have decided to sell out
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »
Business analysis makes some nice cash too.

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:18:30 AM »
Make a crappy photo app for hipsters.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:20:40 AM »
Dont look at me. At least once a month I look at where I am and am baffled at how I even got here. Last 10 years were WEIRD.
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23:18 AM »
I can have a shitty associate's in accounting in less than 2 years probably.  I guess this is probably the way to go.
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23:46 AM »
Accounting

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:25:18 AM »
Like, what do entry level accounting peons start out at?
yar

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »
But everyone else is in accounting. Surely there's not enough money and spots for everyone!
Unzip

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 12:32:15 AM »
Run a big forum for gaming fanboys. 

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
lick toilets on camera. THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS EVERYDAY

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:33:25 AM »
Quickest way to make money is to not spend any.
itm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 12:33:34 AM »

It depends, usually around 35-45k or so; in 2010 median pay was around 60k for accountants with B.S. degrees; I'd imagine that has lowered due to economy but it's still damn good. You can also look into book keeping jobs while you're in school.

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 12:33:59 AM »
Real answer: software developers are being gobled up in the 'Valley right now. I heard entry level ones make $75k at most startups, higher at big companies like Google and Facebook. Not to mention stock options all around, independent if the company is public or private; even if the company doesn't make it to IPO there's a good chance you'll get bought meaning your stock transfers or they buy it from you. Or something like that.

Basically, watch The Social Network. The middle third is pretty much how it is for most startups in Cali.

The Valley might be my next stop on my way to become rich. I've already started out comfortably. :spin

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:36:55 AM »
what's exactly wrong with majoring in economics? it's by far easier than studying to be an accountant, in which a two years in that degree will get you the same entry level position had you not even had gone to school, i.e filing papers and being everyone elses bitch but without a nice pair of tits, gl even filling that roll. though maybe with that degree you'd have a better shot at being a manager. there just isn't much merit in entry level booking keeping courses.

the best two year agree to maximize your future value with the least amount of years you'd be wasting in school is easily an associate in the i.t field coupled with a few certificates you can easily gain by studying a little extra on the side before and after your degree. everything else would be a waste of time and money.

if you're planning on doing a full four years, ignore everything i've said.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »
I have a job that has nothing to do with my two associates- it was actually my experience doing things LIKE what I currently do on the side as a hobby + contacts + getting through enough college to not look like im gonna flake + opportunity!

So yeah, im a lucky fuck. I try to remember that when I get all BLEH about something.
o_0

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 12:40:05 AM »
so basically, just be qualified enough so that your connections wont be totally embarrassed while they hand over your resume?

MrAngryFace

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
Are you on linkedin? A lot of people use that to network
o_0

Tasty

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
I have a job that has nothing to do with my two associates- it was actually my experience doing things LIKE what I currently do on the side as a hobby + contacts + getting through enough college to not look like im gonna flake + opportunity!

So yeah, im a lucky fuck. I try to remember that when I get all BLEH about something.

This was exactly the case for me, except the getting associates and making it through college part. I'm super lucky in all honesty.

But yeah. If you're passionate about your hobby, then do that. You'll be more motivated and move up the ranks quicker. Honestly accounting is the LAST thing in the WORLD I'd ever want to do. Whenever I see my cousin (who majors in accounting) I ask her, "why accounting?!" I mean most people think code is boring but it's honestly a very expressive practice. Accounting though? I can't imagine doing that for 10 years straight and not having my soul sucked out.

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 12:53:08 AM »
There's never enough school psychologists to meet the demand. We're federally required. Requires a Masters degree, though.
野球

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 01:01:09 AM »
Hah, I'm in the same spot as COG here except I'm more up for spending a year and being done than two. I tried accounting but uh it's really fucking boring. Also the Prof. of the school I was going to that taught all of the 102 courses forced you to do everything by hand and my handwriting is fucking terrible so I bailed. :-\ In the meantime hunting for a second job so the wife and I can get us a house instead of the apartment thing we've got right now.
Hi

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 01:21:10 AM »
I sold out as soon as I finished high school, still a poor :'(
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 01:27:13 AM »
There's never enough school psychologists to meet the demand. We're federally required. Requires a Masters degree, though.

Can you imagine Triumph dealing with kids? Nope, me either.

unless it's like Flava Flav's School Of Big Booty Bitches, I doubt he'd be interested

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 01:41:35 AM »
sell drugs
萌え~

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 02:35:26 AM »
Yeah, way more interested in dealing with numbers or code than people if I can avoid it.
yar

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 02:40:18 AM »
sell drugs online
萌え~

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 02:55:01 AM »
My gf has a much better job then me, I need to sell out too or lose my alpha male balls.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or be a stay at home dad and play Diablooooooooooo
[close]

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 03:44:23 AM »
Just an anecdote but my friend got an accounting degree and immediately found a job at Google, I forget if it was accounts payable or receivable. But it was stuff related to Google ads. I got a tour of the place and ate lunch at the cafeteria, it was a really nice job.

But then about a year later, his department gradually got downsized and he was one of the last few people left. About a month ago, he was in the Philippines training his replacements. He is still working at Google, but obviously it's only a matter of time before he gets the axe.

Anyways, I guess it's just worth keeping in mind that some jobs are able to be outsourced even if they don't look like they could be. Good luck, and by that I mean I hope hookers and blow are in your future.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 04:52:29 AM »
a fun fact from one of my econ books,

one accountant today equip with just excel is more productive than an entire army of a thousand or so accountants of a major company in the 1950s.

or something like that.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 05:05:04 AM »
Next step is to go from Excel + accountant to just Excel
QED

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 05:09:15 AM »
a fun fact from one of my econ books,

one accountant today equip with just excel is more productive than an entire army of a thousand or so accountants of a major company in the 1950s.

or something like that.

learn excel
travel back in time
profit
itm

G The Resurrected

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 05:54:46 AM »
The trick is knowing where the demand for job's is going to be in and around the area you're going to end up near in or around the time of your graduation. Bureau of labor statistic's should be your first stop. Then check out your local school's and ask a counselor about graduation rates and what percent of students are going into the field you're planning on going into. From there you can make the best choice not only for you but what's going to be needed when you get out. If you see a trend sometimes its not always best to follow the stream but rather find the one that might be a year or so off from your completion.

My personal experience so far is that business/accounting while being easy to get into is getting rather crowded, just as the health care industry is. Finding a job that can't be outsourced is the goal. Job's where you are directly involved with others is always gonna be the job's that will be here today and tomorrow.

I'm in my first year after going back to college after a rather long break. My previous job at Yahoo! was outsourced and it was not a job that I thought could be, got the rug pulled right out from beneath me. The missus got to stay there for a few more years before she to was axed. Her language skills in asian languages helped her stay but even that too was outsourced. I've been "jobless" for 3 years struggling and searching for work in the corresponding field I had experience in. Analytics and SEO look great on paper but I have none of the corresponding college education to back it up on my resume. I have a pretty impressive list of accomplishments while I was there but that still doesn't even get a glance due to my education.

What I'm trying to say is its not always about how fast you get into a field but rather which field it is that you are going to be getting into. Take your time and find what works for you.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:49 AM »
Medical related IT is huge right now with every hospital going to electron records. Not exactly sure what type of degree you'd need though
dur

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 08:00:39 AM »
Accounting is probably your best bet in the long run.

In the short run, probably some kind of medical related field that you can train for at a 2 year community college. Don't the people who read x-rays get decent money?

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 08:02:25 AM »

It depends, usually around 35-45k or so; in 2010 median pay was around 60k for accountants with B.S. degrees; I'd imagine that has lowered due to economy but it's still damn good. You can also look into book keeping jobs while you're in school.

No reason to get into accounting unless you are gonna get your CPA. After my MPA, I'l start with a big 4 at a really good salary and they will pay you to get your CPA. Then it's all gravy train.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 08:04:38 AM »
Make jerk off vids on xtube. People will pay you to do more.
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »
Considering how everyone and their dog wants to be an accountant, I'm not sure its the land of milk and honey that people are proselytizing.  Note how people talk about accounting are people who are currently in school for accounting or want to go to school for accounting.  Best to talk to someone who is an entry level accountant in the "real world" instead of listening to hopeful students.
🍆🍆

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »
Engineering?
^_^

Chinner

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »
start a popular youtube channel

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11:01 AM »
i like this thread becuase i am going back to college this year (i have to pay my old fukkin college $900 because i didn't send a letter saying i wasnt returning so i got sent tocollections fuaggots), and i wasn't sure what i exactly wanted to major in. i want to be a teacher, but i'm not sure if i wanted to go the History route and try to be a history teacher which is VERY competant, or go IT with a minor in educaiton because theres always a drought for IT teachers.
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 09:12:19 AM »
But accountant is good. I could probably ringle my current employer into making me their accountang but i am horrible at math so rip  :'(
USA

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »
Considering how everyone and their dog wants to be an accountant, I'm not sure its the land of milk and honey that people are proselytizing.  Note how people talk about accounting are people who are currently in school for accounting or want to go to school for accounting.  Best to talk to someone who is an entry level accountant in the "real world" instead of listening to hopeful students.

I'm not in school for accounting, nor do I want to be.  My grandmother is an accountant, and two of my high school friends are accountants.  I don't know about America (the country is a shitty black hole for jobs I guess?) but in Canada it's a well-paying job with extreme security.  And there isn't exactly a swell of accountants either because all the people who rush in for the hot jobs are doing pharmacy or IT.  Also the work is deadly boring and makes you want to die every day.

It's the same here for accountants. My dad works for a petroleum company in Houston and they CANNOT fill all their accounting positions. Apparently it's like that all over.

The good thing about accounting is that to get an MPA and then a CPA it's gonna be a lot quicker than a masters in something else. You'll have your whole career mapped out for you and with all the regulations and tax changes that got/going to be passed the need for accountants is still growing. Basically it's the quickest way to get bang for your buck.

Or at least I hope.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
Web Development. Facebook especially. Not design, difference
fat

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »
There may or may not be a flood of accountants, but at least from my experience they are far less in number and far more useful if they can actually "account" than the corresponding and larger flood of Art, English, Sociology, Business, History, Political Science, etc. majors.

Especially anyone with majors or worse, masters, in the last two.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 09:16:22 AM »
I don't know, I feel like facebook is a bubble waiting to burst any time soon.
USA

G The Resurrected

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »
I don't know, I feel like facebook is a bubble waiting to burst any time soon.

The whole social bubble is gonna burst soon enough. I was postulating that we'd see a myspace like departure from site based content to a central user based content. I don't know the how but I know its gonna happen. There's just too many networks and more coming every day. My thought is that eventually people will tire of having to take action to find and communicate. Eventually the user content is gonna just automatically generate everywhere.

While at Yahoo! we dabbled with our employee's data (those that shared willingly) of emails, phone logs, and their gps logs. We were able to create several  algorithms that took that info and was able to match based on frequency contacted a "friendship pyramid." We then gave those in our test a place to post updates and it was able to detect who knew who automatically across everything. So when they posted or went somewhere it would populate for others to see that were in the "friendship pyramid" automatically. It got a bit out of hand as it was able to tell who was romantically involved based off of keywording. It even found more connections outside the test data using another algorithm from bing. Eventually we got the plug pulled on the project cause it was rather invasive. Like a facebook friend finder on steroids without all the fuss.

The sad truth is that the internet as a whole is gonna go through some growing pains here in the next few years. Cloud based computing, IP protection madness, and that grey zone known as privacy.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
thats crazy as hell. could you imagine the damage that could do if hackers gpt ahold of it
USA

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »
If they released it, it would be insider trading.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:49 AM »
thats crazy as hell. could you imagine the damage that could do if hackers gpt ahold of it

It'd take a huge ass server farm to run it so I don't think it would be that scary.

What was scary was connecting it to the bing algorithms. That alone got us so much data it took almost a month for the team I was on to figure out how it was able to so perfectly establish a hierarchy for the inputted data. Based off of how people wrote things it was able to figure out who'd be most interested in the subject matter as well as if they would most likely respond. So when given the choice to respond it would put a text box to continue the data stream for those it thought would. And 96% of the time they did.

Best way to describe how it looked was a constant stream of content framed into the browser experience. All the connections were handled by the algorithms so all the user had to do was give it a few things to go off of and then it would generate the content from other's. You could even share your browsing experience and it'd figure out who the best audience would be based off browser history that was the bing stuff. They are the best when it comes to tracking user's info even better than google.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
:psyduck

the internet scares me
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »
someone in my position ahs to be very safe on the internet alot of people get mad when i troll so they try to estalk me thats why all my profiles are private
USA

G The Resurrected

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »
Yes its safe, that project closed along with search at Yahoo! when Bing took over all search for Yahoo.com. It's somewhere not to see the light of day ever again.

My real baby was the porn algorithm's for video and pictures. All that work you can see today on bing.com. Those video previews are cause of work I did. M$ said no for the longest time but when brought on board with a few people on "the cleanup crew" we showed them how much search traffic they could be generating if they appealed to a broader audience.

All this crap and I still can't find a job in that field...

someone in my position ahs to be very safe on the internet alot of people get mad when i troll so they try to estalk me thats why all my profiles are private

If its out there it can be found. And you bet your ass there's server farms comparing everything that it has in its db's to anything you put out there. All it would take are some good programmers to make some algorithms to connect the dots. :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:54:09 AM by G The Resurrected »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
You're such a horrible liar, Bz. You were a data monkey. Go fill out sheets for some medical company, theres plenty of those.
fat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 10:53:59 AM »
you mean you could insert a porn clip and find like the facebook profile of the actresses and such  :o
USA

Spurgeon

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »

A CPA firm hired me right after I got my bachelor's at 40k a year. This was with no experience / no CPA license. Job was total shit though; I hated doing tax returns, audits were slightly less bad. There is the potential to make serious bank doing public accounting if you ever make partner, but good luck with that. I'd second what people are saying and go straight to a private company. Will immediately make more money, not have to deal with idiot clients, etc. Had so many clients coming in after election day '08 panicking that they were gonna get taxed into oblivion or whatever. Oil companies in the south pay out the ass, but the rub is you have to live in the south.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:00:30 PM by Spurgeon »

Tasty

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »
I've been "jobless" for 3 years struggling and searching for work in the corresponding field I had experience in. Analytics and SEO look great on paper but I have none of the corresponding college education to back it up on my resume. I have a pretty impressive list of accomplishments while I was there but that still doesn't even get a glance due to my education.

Really? That's the opposite of my experience. All the cool companies care more about your public code contributions and personal projects than some piece of paper.

Also the work is deadly boring and makes you want to die every day.

This is my biggest issue with accounting, heck my only issue. I would have to be offered serious bank to even consider it. No duh, right? Well I wouldn't do it for less than $300k entry level. And that obviously isn't going to happen. That is the price of my soul I have to say.

I can wait though, I'll probably be making six figures in five years or so. :pimp

If the bubble doesn't burst, which is actually pretty likely, but even still I shouldn't be too worse off.

Web Development. Facebook especially. Not design, difference

Not even Facebook, I'd say "fo sho!" if it was pre-IPO but now it's just another big tech company (meaning it pays very well but it isn't going to make you rich overnight anymore, like if you were in a valuable startup.)

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »
i wish i had a lust for a subject in life. i never really liked anything except programming but my horrible skills at math make that something that wont ever happen  :'(
USA

blame space

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
i'm currently courting many different companies interested in sponsoring my posts vis-à-vis neogaf, et al.. if you're interested please feel free to email me at my business email: blamespace@gmail.com

Tasty

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »
i wish i had a lust for a subject in life. i never really liked anything except programming but my horrible skills at math make that something that wont ever happen  :'(

I'm not great at math. There is always hope!

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2012, 01:23:11 PM »
i can't evne do algebra tho
USA

Tasty

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »
Well that's not good, obviously. I only gave up when it came to hardcore calculus. Geometry is feh for me but I actually do love Algebra. Gotta thank the arabs for that.