Author Topic: MST3K (+Rifftrax)  (Read 29560 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: MST3K (+Rifftrax)
« Reply #180 on: November 24, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »
It's for the best that they trimmed down the number of host segments this season, they're just not good.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »
Finished up the last two episodes.

Killer fish is mostly meh. The movie is just really boring outside of the last 20 minutes and there just wasn't a lot to riff on to make it interesting.

Ator the fighting eagle is okay. Not great, Not bad.

So the two standouts for the season are Mac and Me and The Day time Ended. The rest are varying levels of okay.

The riffing is probably slightly better than the first season but the choice of movies is generally worse imo. So its kind of a push. Especially since the first season just had so many more episodes and material for me to digest.

Two seasons in and I'm happy the new show exists and they've done some really good episodes but it hasn't yet reached the high points of the original show to me. The writing just isn't quite strong enough. They really need to work on that. Dump the invention exchange and write actual funny skits. The Mads in general are generally a disappointment. Patton Oswalt can be funny but the material just isn't there for him and Felicia Day just isn't comedically strong enough for my taste.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
The most infuriating part about Atlantic Rim (the movie) is that they set up this love triangle between the douchebro, the woman, and the sensitive black guy. They establish that the douchebro is a shitty boyfriend; she wants to go help the black guy do his charity work and the douchebro is like "nah babe, let's go to this party and get hammered af, woooo!" Then at the end, it looks like douchebro is gonna sacrifice himself for the greater good, but then it's like "lol j/k, straight white guys win again!"  :usacry
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
Watched the first 5, will watch Ator after dinner tonight. Current ranking:

Mac and Me > The Day Time Ended > Killer Fish > Atlantic Rim > Lords of the Deep
yar

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2018, 10:43:57 AM »
Ator is probably roughly equal to The Day Time Ended. The riffing is better on TDTE, but I personally enjoy watching shitty old fantasy movies, so it's a push.

I'm glad they keep doing these, it's a fun nostalgia trip.
yar

Himu

« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »
how is s2
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
cry wilderness is still amazing.

[Cry Wilderness title card comes on the screen]

The guys: WILDERNESS!!!! :lol
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
how is s2

it's aight, watch Mac & Me and The Day Time Ended at least.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
btw, I watched Retro Puppet Master (w/Rifftrax) on Amazon Prime and good lord is this a bad movie. I haven't seen any of the Puppet Master movies besides the first one, so I'm thinking "okay, evil puppets killing people in pre-WWI Paris". Nope. There's almost no puppet action, and the bad guys are "mummies" that look like pasty guys with bad skin that kill people by pointing at them and saying "Die". I can't even imagine a less scary horror movie villain. The only redeeming value is Mark from The Room doing a bad French accent.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2018, 12:02:52 PM »
btw, I watched Retro Puppet Master (w/Rifftrax) on Amazon Prime and good lord is this a bad movie. I haven't seen any of the Puppet Master movies besides the first one, so I'm thinking "okay, evil puppets killing people in pre-WWI Paris". Nope. There's almost no puppet action, and the bad guys are "mummies" that look like pasty guys with bad skin that kill people by pointing at them and saying "Die". I can't even imagine a less scary horror movie villain. The only redeeming value is Mark from The Room doing a bad French accent.

what

IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/26/weve-learned-30-years-mystery-science-theater-3000/

By presenting these ridiculous, horribly made films to the world, MST3k gave them that chance. That, more than anything, I think is its noblest legacy: it not only kept these films alive, but helped to spawn an entire industry based around finding and preserving films that don’t have any apparent value.

This allowed the work of thousands of people to be seen and appreciated. In spite of the ridicule, it showed that even some of the worst films ever made still have value.

:rejoice
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
This allowed the work of thousands of people to be seen and appreciated. In spite of the ridicule, it showed that even some of the worst films ever made still have value.

:tocry
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2018, 10:19:55 AM »
https://www.twitch.tv/rifftrax

btw rifftrax often plays their stuff here.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2018, 10:36:06 AM »
Watched The Wonderful Land of Oz, from the director of Rocket Attack USA, the Thumbelina short from Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny, and Fanny Hill Meets Dr. Erotico. It was aight.
©@©™

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »
Watched Mr. B Natural again over the weekend. My god.
rub

Svejk

« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
Holy shit.. It just dawned upon me that Kylo Ren is Canadian Villian, GARTH VADER from The Final Sacrifice.  Same voice, clad in all black and interrogating people for a map constantly.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2019, 09:24:04 AM »
:ohhh
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2019, 07:25:12 PM »
:rejoice
dog

Svejk

« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2019, 07:45:56 AM »
Nutflix has cancelled MST3K The Return.   :gloomy :fbm :mjcry
Hopefully it gets picked up somewhere else.  Fuck Netflix... I canceled their asses not long ago anyway.
https://news.avclub.com/itll-be-a-sad-thanksgiving-this-year-netflix-has-cance-1840058045

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »
Netflix usually does that after shows have 2 or 3 successful seasons so the cast/crew can't re-negotiate for more money.  I'm sure the new MST3K gang can at least do a Patreon or Kickstarter to produce more episodes.  It's not like they cost a ton of money to make.

FYI Pluto TV has channels for both MST3K and Rifftrax.  I watched Escape 2000 the other night ("Toblerone!") and it sent me down a rabbit hole of early 80s US/Italian Mad Max/The Warriors ripoffs.

Svejk

« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2019, 08:52:02 AM »
Netflix usually does that after shows have 2 or 3 successful seasons so the cast/crew can't re-negotiate for more money.  I'm sure the new MST3K gang can at least do a Patreon or Kickstarter to produce more episodes.  It's not like they cost a ton of money to make.

FYI Pluto TV has channels for both MST3K and Rifftrax.  I watched Escape 2000 the other night ("Toblerone!") and it sent me down a rabbit hole of early 80s US/Italian Mad Max/The Warriors ripoffs.
Yeah, I put Pluto on whatever device I have solely for those channels.  Wish they would change up the content a bit more often.
Supposedly Rifftrax started a Patreon for a monthly subscription iirc? 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2019, 11:50:36 AM »
Yeah the handwriting was kinda on the wall after the decreased number of episodes for Season 2 of the reboot.

Unfortunate because I really grew to like Jonah, Baron, & Hampton. I thought they did a really good job. Hopefully something pans out for the future.

Svejk

« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »
Same.  I thought they nailed it pretty damn well. 
I remember being annoyed at first when Mike replaced Joel back then, but Mike slayed it...  Arguably better than Joel. 
Best entertainment.  MST3K must live on.

kingv

« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2019, 05:26:41 PM »

I heard they screwed their kickstarter people pretty good last time.

A friend of mine sent them $500 and said he felt ripped off the way they handled it.

The biggest part, ironically, had to do with the Netflix stuff and some kind of coffee table book that they got Ofer a certain level. Supporters were apparently supposed to get the episodes first, but after Netflix stepped in it didn’t happen and then the book was apparently really poorly shipped and a lot of people got copies that were damaged in the mail.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2019, 07:50:01 PM »
https://www.rifftrax.com/attack-of-the-super-monsters

When stop-motion dinosaurs meet anime superheroes, only one thing is certain: things are about to get dumb as hell!
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2020, 01:00:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/MST3K_UK/status/1224214458744164352

"This is the one. This is the one I'll be remembered for."
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2020, 10:56:30 AM »
Cinema Editions are newly restored versions of films featured on, "Mystery Science Theater 3000".  These are produced from the highest quality disc sources available. They are meticulously re-synced and remixed with the audio from the original corresponding episode of the television show.

There are no opening/closing show themes, segment skits, or host silhouettes.  These uncut versions of films are being presented as they were originally shown in theaters and on television, while retaining the "MST3K Audience Experience".

I've been digging these lately before bed.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2020, 02:27:03 AM »
Space Mutiny is probably the only MST3K movie I've ever actually found in the "wild" some channel was playing it late at night. Seeing the scenes they cut was like DVD extras.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2020, 04:10:44 AM »
I’ve been subbed to the MST3K Cinema Editions channel for a while, it’s fun to rewatch and see what they cut out. Pretty sure Space Mutiny is actually worse in the uncut version (they cut out some really repetitive fight scenes and more BSG stock footage).
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2020, 10:40:13 PM »
https://news.avclub.com/exclusive-mystery-science-theater-3000-returns-for-soc-1843156549

The A.V. Club is the first to announce the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Live Riff-Along, a special streaming event taking place May 3 at 6 p.m. ET. Coupled with a new short, Circus Day, the centerpiece is a screening of the vintage MST3K episode Moon Zero Two, which will find the show’s touring cast riffing between the jokes their first-season counterparts first made in 1990.

The Riff-Along will also be carried via the MST3K channels on Pluto TV, Stirr, Xumo, Redbox, and Vizio.

Oblivion

« Reply #212 on: July 03, 2020, 11:45:07 PM »
i was looking for something else to watch on netflix and this came up. iv'e heard people mention this show for years, but never actually saw it. is the premise basically this dude and his robot friends real time shitting on bad movies the entire time?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #213 on: July 03, 2020, 11:47:21 PM »
Yes

Oblivion

« Reply #214 on: July 03, 2020, 11:58:10 PM »
cool, just makin' sure

Stoney Mason

« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2020, 12:02:34 AM »
Definitely give the netflix show a try. It's pretty good. And probably more accessible to a younger person than the older show which has older cultural references although the best of the old show is absolutely terrific and better than the netflix show. 

Try episode 2 of Season 1 of the Netflix show. Cry Wilderness is a banger of an episode and the best one of the new show imo.

Oblivion

« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2020, 12:14:13 AM »
i'm about finish episode 1, so i'll get right on that.

really liking what i've seen so far. way funnier than i expected.

Oblivion

« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2020, 12:18:36 AM »
also, it's one thing to make a bad movie, but who the fuck was the target audience for mac and me supposed to be?  :brazilcry

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2020, 10:29:38 AM »
dog

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2020, 11:41:35 AM »
also, it's one thing to make a bad movie, but who the fuck was the target audience for mac and me supposed to be?  :brazilcry

mcdonalds and coca cola marketing executives

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #220 on: April 07, 2021, 05:37:08 PM »
Kickstarter for a new season is up.

They’re going to make their own streaming service for the new episodes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k

$100 for all the episodes (3 to start, 12 if they hit the 5.5 million goal).

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: April 07, 2021, 07:34:14 PM »
I'll drop at least $35 on that before it ends.
dog

Svejk

« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2021, 09:41:55 PM »
Dove in the Sueprdeep to post this. 
Backed!