Author Topic: star trek  (Read 329685 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: star trek
« Reply #3000 on: May 19, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »
Anyone want to summarize what the argument was even about?
每天生气

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #3001 on: May 19, 2020, 01:04:48 PM »
RLM bullied Nacho's favourite show.

shosta

« Reply #3002 on: May 19, 2020, 01:05:24 PM »
I can't even figure out what the word filter is!
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3003 on: May 19, 2020, 01:10:14 PM »
I remember it was something like that but with some flair, like retargarillo crocadillo

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3004 on: May 19, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
It was autis .. mo's
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3005 on: May 19, 2020, 01:44:14 PM »
"I am the culmination of one man's dream. This is not ego or vanity, but when Doctor Soong created me he added to the substance of the universe. If by your experiments I am destroyed, something unique, something wonderful will be lost. I cannot permit that, I must protect his dream." - Data, Star Trek TNG

spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I would be profoundly grateful if you terminated my consciousness." - Data, Star Trek Picard
[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3006 on: May 19, 2020, 01:54:25 PM »
Data in a post TNG current Picard world

"Please kill me now  :rkelly "
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3007 on: May 19, 2020, 02:27:53 PM »
"I am the culmination of one man's dream. This is not ego or vanity, but when Doctor Soong created me he added to the substance of the universe. If by your experiments I am destroyed, something unique, something wonderful will be lost. I cannot permit that, I must protect his dream." - Data, Star Trek TNG

"I would be profoundly grateful if you terminated my consciousness." - Data, Star Trek Picard
[close]

Since when did Data become a millennial?
dog

Tasty

« Reply #3008 on: May 19, 2020, 02:50:40 PM »

[close]

To be fair

by the time of Picard synths aren't special, unique, or wonderful. So in the sense that Data in TNG was speaking of his existince as a unique Android, it's not a stretch that Data could see himself as outliving his usefulness.
[close]

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3009 on: May 19, 2020, 03:01:04 PM »
Synths are slaves in the way that Picard fought against, so in the end Maddox won and fuck that's depressing.
[close]

I would want to kill myself too if I was in this show.  :-[
[close]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:37:10 PM by D3RANG3D »

Himu

« Reply #3010 on: May 19, 2020, 03:18:01 PM »
I like Picard.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3011 on: May 19, 2020, 08:15:28 PM »
I like Picard.

I don't.

I'm sorry cindi, we have to kill each other now.

Alright.

IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #3012 on: May 19, 2020, 09:34:16 PM »
This bodysnatchers episode of DS9 is unbelievably bad :lol
每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3014 on: May 20, 2020, 01:30:19 AM »
This bodysnatchers episode of DS9 is unbelievably bad :lol

Which season? I’m finally up to season 3 now.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3015 on: May 20, 2020, 01:39:42 AM »
I'll just guess season two, "Invasive Procedures", where the trill dude tries to steal Dax?

That means "Cardassians" would be next up on shosta network. Garak episode. :hyper

shosta

« Reply #3016 on: May 20, 2020, 01:39:52 AM »
I'm midway through S2 - going pretty slowly unfortunately.

That means Cardassians would be next up on shosta network. Garak episode. :hyper
This was a solid episode. I enjoy the intrigue... lately though I've been really disliking Bashir. Just an annoying character overall.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #3017 on: May 20, 2020, 01:43:20 AM »
The backhalf of season two really starts to ramp up a lot of the arcs that'll be for the rest of the series. Not just The Dominion, but the Maquis, etc.

benjipwns

« Reply #3018 on: May 20, 2020, 01:46:53 AM »
Bashir takes a while... they really didn't know what to do with the character and it shows.

shosta

« Reply #3019 on: May 20, 2020, 02:00:17 AM »
Since I'm here I might as well post my thoughts about season 2 in general so far...

First three episodes were a strong start. I like basically every episode about the Bajoran political developments and their relationship with DS9. Invasive Procedures was fine but I'm starting to agree with what other people have said about Dax... I don't know if the writers really know what to do with her character and she splits the difference too much between sassy woman and aloof old man.

I already said it but Cardassians was a great episode. Although, I think the final decision was pretty strange - the boy clearly wanted to stay on bajor and be raised as a bajoran. Visitation rights might have made sense but airlifting this kid into the Nazi homeworld on a technicality? Not awesome.

Melora sucked but it was worth it for that Superman punch at the end :dead

Rules of Acquisition is one of my favorite episodes. All of the Ferengi episodes are good. All of them.  :quark

The noir episode with Odo threw me off :lol but it was good! Odo is a solid character.

No opinion or comment on Sisko falling in love with a psychic projection

Sanctuary had potential but those warts seriously grossed me out and there wasn't enough variety - seriously weak writing

Rivals was fun :lol

All the character development in The Alternate  :whoo

Armageddon Game was alright but, as I mentioned, Bashir is seriously wearing me out. His personality is grating and they still haven't given him any interesting motivations or flaws. Also, the ending of this episode when O'Brien says he likes afternoon coffee :rofl

Whispers was stunningly bad and that "he was a clone!" ending was shockingly dark. Maybe I was just in a bad mood today from declaring war on every poster in the politics thread :trumps

All in all - more bad than good. Hopefully the tail of this season is as good as you say.

Bashir takes a while... they really didn't know what to do with the character and it shows.
I wrote this in my post before I read yours so I'm glad I'm not just imagining this.

Anyway this is a good series. Thanks all for the recommendation
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #3020 on: May 20, 2020, 02:08:09 AM »
I might have just forgotten but it also seems like we haven't gotten any Jake or Nog time at all this season besides them getting in a fight with the Skreean boys.

The entire cast, ranked:
- Quark
- Nog
- Odo
- Kyra
- Gul Dakat
- Garak
- Sisko
- O'Brien
- Dax
- every other supporting character
- every extra
- Odo's bucket
- Dr. Bashir
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:15:14 AM by hhkcvaoitsso »
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #3021 on: May 20, 2020, 02:57:05 AM »
Rules of Acquisition is one of my favorite episodes. All of the Ferengi episodes are good. All of them.

My man :bow

Trekkies HATE those episodes and all I can scream is WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3022 on: May 20, 2020, 07:22:47 AM »
I think you'd be hard pressed to find trekkies who hate the ds9 ferengi episodes...
What

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3023 on: May 20, 2020, 09:00:09 AM »
Yeah, while I'm sure there are people who don't appreciate their sheer volume the ferengi stuff generally makes for a really good hour of tv.

DS9  :heartbeat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3024 on: May 20, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »
Keeping Up with the Cardassians
dog

Himu

« Reply #3025 on: May 20, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
I think you'd be hard pressed to find trekkies who hate the ds9 ferengi episodes...

Are you fucking kidding me? It's so common to find people who hate them. Usually if you like them you tend to stick out.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3026 on: May 20, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »
:confused

there are some real duffers in ferengi episodes, but theres also some real highlights, including the iggy muhfucking pop cameo in the magnificent seven ep.

its not like Lwaxana Troi episodes

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3028 on: May 20, 2020, 11:22:38 AM »
Even those links are why "why do some people hate them?" and a bunch of people saying they don't :confused

Its not like beverly crusher getting fucked by a ghost, which is near universally reviled as fucking awful trash

Tuckers Law

« Reply #3029 on: May 20, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
Sub Rosa was so goddamn awful.  :yuck

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3030 on: May 20, 2020, 11:37:34 AM »
DS9 Whispers was OK in my book. There's another dark O'Brien episode that is not so removed from that (and another, lighter one) and the conga line effect of trauma cheapens them all a bit.

Bashir gets better. Then reverts to bad in the tail end of the show but at least you have more sympathy for him by that point.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #3031 on: May 20, 2020, 11:44:14 AM »
remember when ds9 makes a point (a very good one btw) for sisko not to go to club because back then black people wouldn't be allowed to go? And then Miles and Bashir end the series DEFENDING the battle of the Alamo? Texans were fighting to have slaves lol.
[close]
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3032 on: May 20, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »
I like when Bashir and O'Brien cure space aids and the government tries to have them murdered and she's all "My husband NEVER drinks coffee after midday!" and at the end he's all "what? I drink that shit all day long" :rofl

Relevant.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3033 on: May 20, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
Its not like beverly crusher getting fucked by a ghost, which is near universally reviled as fucking awful trash

WTF?  :lol

Dr. Crusher attends her grandmother's funeral, and spends time in her grandmother's haunted house, romanced by her grandmother's non-corporeal lover.

:whatisthis

At the cemetery, Geordi and Data have found an energy source in Beverly's grandmother's grave. They open the grave, and the grandmother rises and attacks them. Beverly arrives and orders Ronin to get out of her grandmother's body. Ronin does so and tells Beverly to give him the candle. She has by now discovered that he is an anaphasic alien who can only survive because the plasma-based candle is his energy receptacle. Beverly destroys the candle with a phaser and vaporizes Ronin when he attempts to possess her body.

:titus
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #3034 on: May 20, 2020, 11:58:06 AM »

WTF?  :lol

Dr. Crusher attends her grandmother's funeral, and spends time in her grandmother's haunted house, romanced by her grandmother's non-corporeal lover.

:whatisthis

At the cemetery, Geordi and Data have found an energy source in Beverly's grandmother's grave. They open the grave, and the grandmother rises and attacks them. Beverly arrives and orders Ronin to get out of her grandmother's body. Ronin does so and tells Beverly to give him the candle. She has by now discovered that he is an anaphasic alien who can only survive because the plasma-based candle is his energy receptacle. Beverly destroys the candle with a phaser and vaporizes Ronin when he attempts to possess her body.

:titus
Remember in Saved by the Bell when Jesse developed an addiction to caffeine pills and has that big “druggie freak out”?  Watching Sub Rosa is similar levels of embarrassment-by-proxy when you watch it.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3035 on: May 20, 2020, 11:58:44 AM »
 :ryker

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3036 on: May 20, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »
Bashir starts off as horny frat boy, and then becomes IRL bond ??? because he has a british accent ??? and enjoys grey market Bond knock off holodeck novels ???

O'Brieshir bromance saves the character though

Tasty

« Reply #3037 on: May 20, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »
bork the Trek virgin :uguu

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3038 on: May 20, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
the clock is now ticking till bork starts taking gold pressed latinum bribes for forum favours  :quark

Himu

« Reply #3039 on: May 20, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »
Bashir starts off as horny frat boy, and then becomes IRL bond ??? because he has a british accent ??? and enjoys grey market Bond knock off holodeck novels ???

Bashir is cool because of the whole
genetic modified super human/intelligence thing. I really enjoy his dedication to his patients. I'd trust him over any other doctor in the series besides EMH. You're forgetting the episodes where he tries to help his fellow genetic modified folks. Those were always good
[close]

Find it weird you remember the Bond stuff (I don't) but don't remember a crucial part of his character.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3040 on: May 20, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »
Bashirs fascination with Garak comes from his spyfic interests, and Garaks amusement at him comes from the discrepancy between what Bashir thinks spycraft is about and what it actually involves, and his later
involvement with Sloane and Section 13 is entirely down to Sloane manipulating him based on those same preconceptions - and you could say he was picked because of his genetic engineering, but it's pretty clear when he is 'recruited' part of the plan is that he would fuck it up and go off plan because he thinks he's James Bond.

In actuality, both Sisko and O'Brien show better tradecraft, with Siskos cointelpro and O'Briens undercover / infiltration gig later on.

The genetic engineering stuff never really comes up outside of those couple of eps with the starfleet braintrust, and it sort of undermines his character that being part of it, as instead of just a smart dude who became a doctor, he's a genius level intellect slumming it as some kind of underachieving dilettante. Like, when he's embarrassed when an alumni is coming to visit, because their career is going so much better than his, and they don't have supersoldier serum to account for it.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #3041 on: May 20, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »
Bashirs fascination with Garak comes from his spyfic interests, and Garaks amusement at him comes from the discrepancy between what Bashir thinks spycraft is about and what it actually involves

This is a fan head canon.

It's garak that inserts his way into a relationship, not the other way around. Bashir is sitting, eating his lunch and then Garak comes pushing his way into his space.

His engineering is more central to his character imo. I never got any spy crap from Bashir outside of his holodeck trips. On the contrary, Miles is the spy.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3042 on: May 20, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
I haven't rewatched recently, but its super early on that he goes to Sisko "I think that tailor might be a SPY I'm going to get closer to him" and sisko is all "whatevs doctor"

:idont

Himu

« Reply #3043 on: May 20, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »
I haven't rewatched recently, but its super early on that he goes to Sisko "I think that tailor might be a SPY I'm going to get closer to him" and sisko is all "whatevs doctor"

:idont

He thinks Garak might be a spy. True. This doesn't make it conclusive that Bashir himself has a fascination with spying or considers himself to be James Bond, which is your main point and something I've never seen an inkling regarding the character.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3044 on: May 20, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »
Remember in Saved by the Bell when Jesse developed an addiction to caffeine pills and has that big “druggie freak out”?  Watching Sub Rosa is similar levels of embarrassment-by-proxy when you watch it.

I think I'm going to have to watch this episode now.   :lol

Yeah man, outside of some original series stuff, some TNG episodes, and the movies...I don't really know what's going on with it.  Every time I find out about some weird or crazy shit, I have to check it out.  :P  Last time I went hunting for an episode or two was after finding out that Ryker had a clone or whatever who ended up doing his own thing.
:ryker :ryker

the clock is now ticking till bork starts taking gold pressed latinum bribes for forum favours  :quark

ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3045 on: May 20, 2020, 01:58:53 PM »
He thinks Garak might be a spy. True. This doesn't make it conclusive that Bashir himself has a fascination with spying or considers himself to be James Bond, which is your main point and something I've never seen an inkling regarding the character.

His motivations are part of what makes his character; why is he taken with the idea that there might be a spy? It's not for professional reasons, that's Odos job. So it is for personal reasons.
And over the course of the show him being into spyfic stuff is explicitly laid out, culminating in his involvement with you know who.

Also FWIW I think Dr Phlox is best Trek Doctor (and Andy Dick is worst  :yuck) in being the doctor I would most want to be treated by if I had something wrong

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3046 on: May 20, 2020, 02:13:32 PM »

I think I'm going to have to watch this episode now.   :lol

Yeah man, outside of some original series stuff, some TNG episodes, and the movies...I don't really know what's going on with it.  Every time I find out about some weird or crazy shit, I have to check it out.  :P  Last time I went hunting for an episode or two was after finding out that Ryker had a clone or whatever who ended up doing his own thing.
 :ryker :ryker

it will be very profitable for us both  :money

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3047 on: May 20, 2020, 02:22:40 PM »
Also FWIW I think Dr Phlox is best Trek Doctor (and Andy Dick is worst  :yuck) in being the doctor I would most want to be treated by if I had something wrong

Andy Dick was on Star Trek!?

:mindblown :dead
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3048 on: May 20, 2020, 02:34:08 PM »
Someone break out the Star Trek guest star list for bork  :cornette

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3049 on: May 20, 2020, 02:42:19 PM »
Seven of Nine smells what The Rock is cooking in an intergalactic cage match
Sarah Silverman drives a shitty campervan
Steven Hawking plays poker
Iggy Pop is a deadpan middle manager in a totalitarian regime
Frasier is caught in a timeloop

...that's all I got :trumps

Tuckers Law

« Reply #3050 on: May 20, 2020, 03:27:34 PM »
Ashley Judd was wet for Wesley.

There’s more Jeffrey Combs characters than there are red shirts.

Wallace Shawn is conceivably the most powerful Ferengi.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3051 on: May 20, 2020, 04:18:36 PM »

David Warner the GOAT :rejoice
dog

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3052 on: May 20, 2020, 04:52:33 PM »
there's loads of "oh hey it's that guy" type cameos from Max Headroom through Paulie from Goodfellas (and an early kirsten dunst) but I was thinking mkore famous in their own regard before cameoing type cameos :idont

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3053 on: May 20, 2020, 07:51:53 PM »
https://www.startrek.com/news/the-humbling-of-admiral-picard

Mother Fuck this show and anybody who worked on it.

And anybody who likes it.
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3054 on: May 20, 2020, 08:43:54 PM »
I watched the much discussed Plinkett review which was more a 'Mike review'.

I understand where he is coming from but this outcome was expected. He says there's a bigger audience for old school Star Trek but I highly doubt that.
As far as I remember from the mid to late 90's Star Trek was the show that families watched together on the living room TV.  You could miss half of it and the stations would just repeat episodes and didn't give a fuck.
People liked it because it was better than most TV shows, it wasn't violent so no one really objected watching it and especially later on it filled airtime between bigger prime time shows.
My dad like the science, my older brother the stories and as a kid I just thought it was cool with the space ships, computers, aliens and all. Mom was just glad we all sat down and weren't fighting over some dumb shit.

Fans simply got lucky that it was made and written as well as it was. TV shows were sort of seen as B-entertainment while the A-list actors would do movies.
There was a clear distinction between 'lesser' TV actors and well paid movie stars. After all TV content was basically there to get people hooked to watch the commercials.
Over time they discovered they could do that easier and cheaper with reality TV and repeating the same formats. Something that took quite some time and skill to create like Star Trek wasn't necessary.

The entire entertainment world has flipped upside down. Shows on streaming services (i.e. content) is where the money is and millions of dollars are spend on research to figure out what the audience wants.
And unfortunately for Mike, today's' audience isn't the family that sits down after a week of school and work to watch Star Trek together. Instead they target the people that consume a lot of this type of entertainment.
Currently the hot shit is Marvel and character drama. Add in some modern day angst and you have Picard. They sort of bet that fans will watch it anyway (to see if it is a trainwreck or not) and then they move on to reel in the rest.
A cool guy with a sword for the boys, a few 'empowered' women for the ladies etc. plus everyone can watch it on their own personal phone/tablet/PC/TV. Even if mom and dad don't like it, it doesn't matter because the kids probably will.
There's no longer one screen in the house and it just becomes part of a growing 'compelling content library'.

Do the creators care about butchering the lore, characters and everything else?
Nope, because Star Trek is an IP, a universe they can take inspiration from and that has name recognition.
They can break, change and rewrite whatever they want. No one except a few hardcore fans like Mike are going to remember the character traits of Picard or his relationship with Data.
Some people might notice that Star Trek has gotten more violent and dark (but what hasn't?) but that's about it.
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3055 on: May 20, 2020, 09:37:18 PM »
https://www.startrek.com/news/the-humbling-of-admiral-picard

Mother Fuck this show and anybody who worked on it.

Number One the dog represents a marginalized community

Ruth is a black/Latinx freelancer based in Istanbul who writes about culture, travel, and wellness. She still hasn't finished all of DS9.
:mike

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3056 on: May 20, 2020, 09:51:42 PM »
I understand where he is coming from but this outcome was expected. He says there's a bigger audience for old school Star Trek but I highly doubt that.

The problem with this assertion, is it's just assumed to be true because nobodies making that kind of show (except for the Orville, which was pretty much critically panned but was still getting decent ratings).

If you want darker, violent, highly serialized scifi there's literally dozens of options available to watch and stream right now.
And stuff like WestWorld  is waaaaaaaaaay fucking better than Picard is.
You can see episodic TV still exists and is still successful in other genres - shit, the procedural has this down to a fine art by now with your mid season and whole season arcs but syndication friendly episodic format - and there's still a spread in tone between like, a Criminal Minds, an SVU or a Lethal Weapon.

What Star Trek had was a unique selling point; it had its own niche. What it is now is directly competing with your Expanses and your WestWorlds, and frankly, it needs to seriously up its writing game if it wants people to buy a CBS sub over an Amazon or HBO.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3057 on: May 21, 2020, 01:22:55 AM »
stuff like WestWorld  is waaaaaaaaaay fucking better than Picard is.
I really hate Picard, but let's not go wild  :cenk

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3058 on: May 21, 2020, 06:00:15 AM »

The problem with this assertion, is it's just assumed to be true because nobodies making that kind of show (except for the Orville, which was pretty much critically panned but was still getting decent ratings).

If you want darker, violent, highly serialized scifi there's literally dozens of options available to watch and stream right now.
And stuff like WestWorld  is waaaaaaaaaay fucking better than Picard is.
You can see episodic TV still exists and is still successful in other genres - shit, the procedural has this down to a fine art by now with your mid season and whole season arcs but syndication friendly episodic format - and there's still a spread in tone between like, a Criminal Minds, an SVU or a Lethal Weapon.

What Star Trek had was a unique selling point; it had its own niche. What it is now is directly competing with your Expanses and your WestWorlds, and frankly, it needs to seriously up its writing game if it wants people to buy a CBS sub over an Amazon or HBO.
I think the issue is the combination of the setting and type of show.
Shows set in current times or history have the problem solving and relationship arcs. Because that's what the target audience wants to see and expects.
I would say a good example are the earlier seasons of Game of Thrones minus the cheap violence and softcore porn it was just about the character interactions, problem solving, politics etc. .
That also changed in later seasons because the audience responded really well to the big fights, doomsday plot and over the top violence. The production values went up, the writing took a dive.

Sci-fi set in space across the board is more action or more thriller focused and when a movie comes out that doesn't do that, people hop online to complain that it is 'boring' and 'dull'. 
I think we're finally seeing a shift in that with the audience rejecting an action packed roller coaster Star Wars and instead preferring the Mandalorian instead.
Still, the largest chunk of the audience wants to see action, just look at what's trending on Netflix daily. It's usually the latest Originals action flick they just dropped.
I think a good example is Blade Runner, it was assumed that because the original had built up a cult following a sequel would be a big hit and the IP would finally get the attention it deserved. Instead it flopped.
Not to mention this show is also for modern audiences that liked the J.J. Abrams movies. Because that was so successful it sorta became the template for bringing back old IP's.
It is going to be interesting to see what the Dune reboot is going to be like.

As for the writing of Star Strek, they sort of copy pasted the plot from Mass Effect and did it poorly so yeah these people are talentless hacks.  :doge

Who knows maybe if they went with the 1 story = 1 episode structure it might've been praised like The Mandalorian for being 'different' but that would've been a big risk compared to creating a long action packed Star Trek movie
starring Patrick Stewart based on the plot of Mass Effect.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #3059 on: May 21, 2020, 12:27:18 PM »
stuff like WestWorld  is waaaaaaaaaay fucking better than Picard is.
I really hate Picard, but let's not go wild  :cenk

Yeah the WestWorld comparisons made me do the collar-grab/grimacing thing. "Mike wat are you doing"