Author Topic: Django Unchained - holy fuck this film is black power defined  (Read 14967 times)

Himu

Django Unchained - holy fuck this film is black power defined
« on: December 26, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
holy shit

go see this film
IYKYK

Himu

Re: Django Unchained - holy fuck this film is black power defined
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »
Great review. 10/10, would read again.

Sam Jackson steals the show but all the actors brought it. It even made Jamie look good.

Anyone who says Django takes slavery lightly is a fucking idiot. They had face masks, they were whipped Kunta Kinte style, there were castrations, attack dogs...Spike Lee is a fucking idiot. "Insulting to my ancestors" my ass.

Movie is hilarious as all hell too.

Great acting, fantastic commentary on America and race, fucking awesome western, and the most ill soundtrack I've seen in ages.
IYKYK

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
"- holy fuck this film is black power defined "

white guy frees him and sets everything into motion manipulating the black man for his own ends?

sure sounds like black power defined to me.
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »

white guy frees him and sets everything into motion manipulating the black man for his own ends?

The ending is black power as fuck.

but it's not surprising that EricP the local expert on black culture would have a problem with the movie.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:27:36 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »
i haven't actually seen it yet.

:teehee
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 08:29:59 PM »
The Klan scene is probably the funnest scene I've witnessed in theatres this year. Absolutely amazing.
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »
Goddamn, I might need to see this movie a second time here soon.
🍆🍆

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
really looking forward to seeing this! Comes out in a month here.

Himu

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »
I am going to see it again this weekend with mups
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
The Klan scene is probably the funnest scene I've witnessed in theatres this year. Absolutely amazing.

Funnier than the Klan scene in O Brother Where Art Thou?  Also, that's historically inaccurate I think- klan didn't show up until after slavery right?  Obviously doesn't matter but whatever.
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »
It wasn't the Klan but it was something that resembled the Klan
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 12:53:43 AM »
well this is tense
vjj

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 02:39:22 AM »

Don Johnson as "Big Daddy." LOL
HLR

Himu

IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »
Did I just say I would shoot up a theater full of black people? What's wrong with me? :(
:lol

smh

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »
I can't tolerate a black audience or a Tarantino film separately. Combined, I might shoot up a theater.
Hahaha
:{]

Himu

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »
I cannot stop thinking about this movie. Best black film in years.
IYKYK

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
I cannot stop thinking about this movie. Best black film in years.
vin

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
Did I just say I would shoot up a theater full of black people? What's wrong with me? :(

:drudge :drudge
ど助平

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »
Yes the Klan didn't show up until reconstruction; they were a terrorist organization trying to proove how Reconstruction really doesn't matter, atleast Jacksons version of it.

Ironically, the Klan supported Lincolns plan of reconstruction  ???
USA

Spurgeon

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »
Fantastic movie, but this is my third Tarantino film in a row in which someone brings their toddler with them to the theater  >:(

I thought
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the Mandingo fight scene was the most disturbing to me, just was so brutal and inhumane
[close]

Wonder how Will Smith would have done in this if he wasn't such a bitch

Himu

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dog eating scene is way worse than the mandingo scene to me
[close]
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 11:57:13 PM »
I heard a white guy yells at a black penis for like five minutes. True?
fat

Himu

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 12:25:57 AM »
Well there's a part where sam jackson is staring at jamie foxx's cock for 5 minutes while talking to him
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 02:19:54 AM »
good movie, but calling this "black power defined" makes stokely carmichael roll in his grave

was cool but i expected a lot more
pcp

Himu

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 02:46:22 AM »
Black power is acceptance and embracing of ones blackness. Tell me how that ending is not black power as fuck. I don't think you know what black power is, or if you do buy into the black nationalist idea of black power rather than the pride element of black power. In other words you read too much black panther shit.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 03:29:18 AM »
ending was great; what i had a problem with is that 80% of the movie beforehand was german dude leading around django, coming up with all the plans, explaining words to django over and over ( ::) ). jamie foxx barely had any lines for most of the movie, and christopher waltz was  positioned as the central character in most of the scenes. django's character arc was way too muted too. he'd talk back and insult the white people, but we never got to hear him rebut all their bullshit, never even got to hear him detail his thoughts or tell a story or SOMETHING while he was with waltz or his wife or someone. we got to see multiple sides of a lot of characters, but django just felt like a cardboard cutout when he shoulda been a lot more.

basically i was hoping for something like kill bill's bride's asskicking mixed with some righteous anger and what i got was a typical hero story against a backdrop of white slaveowners.

also kerry washington's role was so wasted :'(
pcp

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
Black power is acceptance and embracing of ones blackness. Tell me how that ending is not black power as fuck.

the theatre was full of white people.

Sman

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
Great review. 10/10, would read again.

Sam Jackson steals the show but all the actors brought it. It even made Jamie look good.

Anyone who says Django takes slavery lightly is a fucking idiot. They had face masks, they were whipped Kunta Kinte style, there were castrations, attack dogs...Spike Lee is a fucking idiot. "Insulting to my ancestors" my ass.

Movie is hilarious as all hell too.

Great acting, fantastic commentary on America and race, fucking awesome western, and the most ill soundtrack I've seen in ages.

It is insulting to my slave-owning ancestors.

:mattdrudge

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »

:lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »
http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/black-racism-unchained/#CksjHmmczyvE3PQ7.99

Some other choice quotes from Jesse Lee Peterson:

“I’ve often said that, ‘Thank God for slavery,’ because, you know, had not, then the blacks over here would have been stuck in Africa… Everybody and their Mama are trying to get out of Africa and come to America and so God has a way of looking out for folks and He made it possible by way of slavery to get black folks into this country.

…I thank God that He saw fit for me to get here. Never mind that, you know, (my ancestors) were sold… by Arabs and blacks to white folks… The ride over was pretty tough but you know, it’s like riding on a crowded airplane when you’re not in First Class. It’s a tough ride. But you’re happy when you get to your desitination… I thank God that he got me here and to show my appreciation to the blacks who suffered as the result of coming here, and Arabs and blacks who sold us to the white man, the white man for going there and getting us and bringing us here, I want to say, ‘Thanks.’”

He's -- Obama, in all honesty, is the Congressional Black Caucus, he is Louis Farrakhan, he is Rev. Wright, his minister, he is all of them wrapped up in one -- and he's gonna take -- if we allow this health-care thing to happen, he's gonna turn America into Detroit. And we cannot let this happen.

About five years ago, in a debate before the National Association of Black Journalists, I stated that if whites were to just leave the United States and let blacks run the country, they would turn America into a ghetto within 10 years. The audience, shall we say, disagreed with me strongly. Now I have to disagree with me. I gave blacks too much credit. It took a mere three days for blacks to turn the Superdome and the convention center into ghettos, rampant with theft, rape and murder.
dog

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 07:50:41 PM »
Sold out at one theater, but not at the other. Phew! Date night survives.
野球

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »
http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/black-racism-unchained/#CksjHmmczyvE3PQ7.99

Some other choice quotes from Jesse Lee Peterson:

“I’ve often said that, ‘Thank God for slavery,’ because, you know, had not, then the blacks over here would have been stuck in Africa… Everybody and their Mama are trying to get out of Africa and come to America and so God has a way of looking out for folks and He made it possible by way of slavery to get black folks into this country.

…I thank God that He saw fit for me to get here. Never mind that, you know, (my ancestors) were sold… by Arabs and blacks to white folks… The ride over was pretty tough but you know, it’s like riding on a crowded airplane when you’re not in First Class. It’s a tough ride. But you’re happy when you get to your desitination… I thank God that he got me here and to show my appreciation to the blacks who suffered as the result of coming here, and Arabs and blacks who sold us to the white man, the white man for going there and getting us and bringing us here, I want to say, ‘Thanks.’”

He's -- Obama, in all honesty, is the Congressional Black Caucus, he is Louis Farrakhan, he is Rev. Wright, his minister, he is all of them wrapped up in one -- and he's gonna take -- if we allow this health-care thing to happen, he's gonna turn America into Detroit. And we cannot let this happen.

About five years ago, in a debate before the National Association of Black Journalists, I stated that if whites were to just leave the United States and let blacks run the country, they would turn America into a ghetto within 10 years. The audience, shall we say, disagreed with me strongly. Now I have to disagree with me. I gave blacks too much credit. It took a mere three days for blacks to turn the Superdome and the convention center into ghettos, rampant with theft, rape and murder.

'How do I make it to White Heaven?' Well, start by askin' yourself 'How is my relationship with the white man?' Do you celebrate the white man's goodness every day? Do you stop and thank the white man for the food you eat and the clothes you wear? Huh? Well, if you don't, you goin' to Hell. Now, I want everybody who isn't white to turn to a white person and say 'Thank you'.
©@©™

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »
Great film. Fuck the haters and fuck the PC police. Good movies are good.

Really like how the language was so over the top that you got desensitized to it, but then you're aware of this fact and bothered by it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:23:50 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »
I'm seeing black friends on Facebook wring their hands over QT's use of the n word. These are people I know, people who literally use the word in nearly every discussion we have. Why is it hard to admit the word was quite casually thrown around in slave times, and is still casually thrown around today?

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 01:28:09 AM »
Reminds me of people who wre disturbed by the imagery in Schindler's List. It happened, lets not hide from the truth.
野球

Robo

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »
When I saw this in the theater, there was an audible gasp from the audience every time anyone said the N-word.  Really, every single time, right up to the very end.  I wonder if the trailers painted this out to be a different sort of film for those who aren't familiar with Tarantino.  What furthers my suspicion is that someone brought their 7-year-old (and then stayed through the entire showing) . . .

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:02:29 AM by Robo »
obo

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »
I honestly didn't expect there to be so much backlash, among black and white people about it. QT is far from a racist.

jesus, if you want to get offended by a truly tasteless film about slavery, go watch Goodbye Uncle Tom. Definitely the most "realistic" film about slavery, created by actual racists

Beezy

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 03:09:08 AM »
This movie was so amazing. :lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »
I honestly didn't expect there to be so much backlash, among black and white people about it. QT is far from a racist.

jesus, if you want to get offended by a truly tasteless film about slavery, go watch Goodbye Uncle Tom. Definitely the most "realistic" film about slavery, created by actual racists

Interesting.  When I saw this movie, most of the theater audience was black and I never heard any audible gasps or shit like that.  Everyone seemed to have enjoyed the movie.  A cursory review on the internet shows that it is mostly white hipsters who are grousing about the movie.  Considering their awful taste in just about everything, it only actually plays up the strength of the movie.  Buncha asshurt motherfuckers.
🍆🍆

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »
The movie was tits.

QT has still got it.
UK

Beezy

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 12:55:56 PM »

Nier vibes :heart :heart :heart

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
"Black power defined" - in a film made by a white man!

Saw this last weekend and really enjoyed it.
ど助平

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
Quite good movie. I felt the first act was the weakest part of the film but when Leo enters the fray it's gold from there.
nat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2013, 07:22:06 PM »
Leo nails it, Jackson is just so gosh darn evil, and Waltz is his usual bubbly self. Jamie Foxx's acting wasn't bad, not by a long shot, but he does kind of get overshadowed by the more talky characters around him.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2013, 07:56:36 PM »
Lots of awesome spaghetti western tracks in this movie:

This new track by Morricone is awesome too:

Also, I was pumped when Franco Nero showed up. :rock
©@©™

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »
Movie was amazing.
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 10:14:07 PM »
Saw it earlier today. I went in expecting some crazy shit but was surprised at just how ridiculous it is lol. I've never been to an afternoon showing that was almost full, and the audience cheered at the end. The first few n-bombs clearly threw the audience off guard, but after awhile they were laughing at some of the racial jokes/slurs

Overall I thought the film was good. IMO the first half or so is alright, whereas the second half is pretty damn great. That first half has a few standout scenes, such as Django riding through the town on horseback for the first time (great use of the Sister Sarah track). But at the same time, the first half is quite reliant on Foxx and Waltz...and IMO Foxx wasn't particularly noteworthy - at least not initially; I do think he got better as the film progressed. Likewise Waltz didn't really impress me much early either. I think the issue with both was that a lot of their dialogue felt rather forgettable. Perhaps my favorite scene from the first half (outside of the hooded gang scene which was hilarious) was the campfire scene where Schultz tells Django the German fairytale.

Basically things get amazing once they meet Candie. I thought Leo's performance was great and he brought more out of Foxx than Waltz did. And then there's Samuel L Jackson...wow. Definitely the memorable character of the film, and one of the most memorable I've seen in years; you could tell the role was specifically written for him, and he played it perfectly.

Overall I thought it was a very good movie that perhaps missed out on greatness due to the beginning, and also the first shootout at the house. There's some very odd editing going on there, but overall my biggest problem was that the shootout overshadows the final scene. I feel like it would have been better if Shultz died and Django was immediately beaten up and arrested; then you could have Django escape from the mining shit, save his girl, and then return to the house and kill everyone/kill Stephen/blow up the house.

Also, I HATED the 2pac remix. I hate that Untouchable remix to begin with (fuck Swizz Beats), and adding it to that great remix of Payback seemed like sacrilege. Why not just let the Payback track play through the gun fight. Can't say I liked the Rick Ross addition earlier in the film either; it's not a bad sound, but it just felt odd. This is perhaps the first QT film I've ever had second guesses about his soundtrack selections.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 10:20:09 PM »
Nobody at the showing I went to seem to be bothered by the n-bombs. Although, it was a theater in a small, Texas town.

There was an old white couple sitting behind me that were really excited about the movie. :lol
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »
I went with a white friend, and afterwards we talked about the film and I kind of got an impression why some white (and black, to be fair) people were offended by the film: it seems like a shit ton of people are not aware of the house slave and field slave dynamic, and seemed to think this was some wacky offensive Tarantino creation. I looked back at some friend comments on Facebook and found similar befuddlement, and even some anger. At one point Django says a black slaver is lower than a head house negro, and that lays the groundwork for his disdain for Stephen; I took that as a logical view that a field slave would have at the time, whereas some of my black friends were like "Django hates black people, just so film goers can say he's no different than the slave owners herp derp."

And then on the flip side when Shultz ponders whether Broomhilda is inside or outside the house, Django seems offended by the assertion and basically says "she's pretty, of course she'll be in the house." I found that to be an interesting undercurrent to the film, one that is both historical and honest. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that many white people aren't familiar with the concept considering how absent slavery is in most public school history curriculum, and those that are familiar seem to only recognize it on partisan political grounds that serve their agenda (for instance, the idea that black republicans=Uncle Toms; or that black democrats=content slaves).

Beezy

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2013, 10:43:36 PM »
Overall I thought it was a very good movie that perhaps missed out on greatness due to the beginning, and also the first shootout at the house. There's some very odd editing going on there, but overall my biggest problem was that the shootout overshadows the final scene. I feel like it would have been better if Shultz died and Django was immediately beaten up and arrested; then you could have Django escape from the mining shit, save his girl, and then return to the house and kill everyone/kill Stephen/blow up the house.
Apparently it was like this in the original script. Not sure why they changed it.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »
Yeah they really bungled the climax. The editing was pretty awkward in an lot of parts. Amazing how tangible Sally Menke's absence is.
zzzzz

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
It just feels like such an odd transition. You go from an amazing shootout to...Django hanging from his ankles getting fondled by Shane Vendrell. And then the journey to the mine and that meh cameo - all of which would have felt more natural if it didn't follow that shootout

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »
the ultraviolence felt way out of place and just dumb. amaizng movie otherwise. And there was some weird edit in the very beggining of the movie where I was like "wait is there a scene missing there?" .

The scene where Django rides into town on horseback reminded me of blazing saddles too much though.
USA

Beezy

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »
the ultraviolence felt way out of place and just dumb. amaizng movie otherwise. And there was some weird edit in the very beggining of the movie where I was like "wait is there a scene missing there?" .

The scene where Django rides into town on horseback reminded me of blazing saddles too much though.
How is that a bad thing?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2013, 10:59:47 PM »
The whole film had Blazing Saddles vibes to a degree, it was inevitable; I don't think that's a fair criticism against the film. You have to have a scene where a black guy rides into a town...and naturally everyone will automatically compare it to that Blazing Saddles scene.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2013, 11:00:09 PM »
its not, it was clearly a homage, just it made me want to go watch blazing saddles more than django.

the first half of djange is real real bad. once leo comes in its god tier
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »
well i shouldnt say bad but feels incredibly out of place
USA