Author Topic: DmC review thread - If you see an old school DmC fan, shoot on sight  (Read 19504 times)

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Re: DmC review thread - Capcom to acqure NT for Mega Man reboot.
« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I'd rank 'em DMC3 > DmC > DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC2

Oscar, why do you love DMC1 so much, especially having replayed it recently? I would list "aging poorly" as the #1 reason I rank it so low.
乱学者

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »
DmC = a sure step above DMC2, a sure step below the others. 

DMC1 is a bit arthritis-inducing at first, but then the archaic early PS2 controls come back to you.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
It would be nigh impossible for this to be worse than 2.
vin

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »
DMC3 for me is the best of both worlds. It has the RE style "get this to get this to get this to open the door" in addition to the excellent combat engine and mechanics.

DMC1 indeed has the best location and while the combat is not as complicated it's still very fun.

DMC4's game structure is pretty goddamned awful overall. Having you play through the entire game over is a mortal sin. However the combat is so much fun and playing SUPERMAN DANTE is super rewarding.

DmC has a pretty OK combat system. The gameplay outside of it is fairly limited and seems super repetitive. It looks nice.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:12:20 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2013, 07:21:57 PM »
It's not the best DMC - but it IS better than DMC1, 2, and 4. So, you know, full points for trying.

sorta agree with this. dmc may not have the edge with combat, but most everything else so far is miles ahead of the old series. much as i love those games, replaying them feels like a chore because the level design and platforming so so fucking bad. kills the flow of the game when youre stiffly jumping around platforms or trying to remember where youre supposed to go while backtracking.

and i still love dmc1 because i think the enemies there are way more original and brutal than anything else in the series. the fight against those three shadow panthers is still one of the highlights of the series for me.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
yes
pcp

« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2013, 07:44:52 PM »
Has this fucker hit a price drop yet?
野球

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »
Playing DMC3 over again has made me not want to go back and play DmC.

Just fought the vampire chick and got the guitar weapon. I remember that weapon being one of the best weapons in the game but also one of the hardest.
nat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »
I'm up to ch.6 or 7.  Its been boring, but now that they're introducing color-coded enemies, it's getting dumb.  I don't want to kill someone with all Osiris attacks because Osiris sucks because it's weak and holding L trigger the entire time just to use a weapon is awkward.   GG Capcom enjoy my $33.

A lot of the deforming terrain stuff is just you holding the analog stick forward while everything on screen goes all wacky with no consequence to you.

I'm just gonna stick to the earlier series.  It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but it's still not good enough to play just yet.  Maybe during a drought or something...just got lots of other great stuff I wanna play right now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:31:05 AM by Don Flamenco »

mjemirzian

« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »
I'm rethinking my $5 on a steam sale position. It sounds like something I'd never play even if I dared tackle my ridiculous steam sale backlog.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »
Ooh, rank thread

DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC3 > DMC2

Havent played DmC : )
fat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »
MY GOD THE PUZZLE NEAR THE END OF THE GAME IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO USE THE GAUNTLET SLAM ATTACK AND DANTE KEEPS SCREAMING 'YEEEEAAAAAH!' 'UUUUUUUUUAGGH!" EVERY TIME AND I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO TURN THE GEARS TO SOLVE THE PUZZLE.

JUST DID IT BUT FUCK THAT WAS ANNOYING
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:07:03 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
the platforming feels like alice, which i enjoyed, and which is lightyears better than ANY of the perfunctory platforming in the jappy titles

DmC >>> DMC3 > DMC4 >>>>>>>>>>> DMC2 > your mom using your mouth for her toilet > DMC1
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:09:58 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
on the last boss battle. got annoyed because i cant figure out the trick to stop it from regenerating it's health.

edit: or maybe i did figure it out? i tried it and it didn't work wtf.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:55:46 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2013, 12:58:01 PM »
on the last boss battle. got annoyed because i cant figure out the trick to stop it from regenerating it's health.

edit: or maybe i did figure it out? i tried it and it didn't work wtf.

I had this same problem. I was stuck on him for 20 minutes, and even did the thing you need to do, but it didn't work until I quit and came back. That was the only part of the game that really upset me, especially because it's such a cool boss fight at first.
SRY

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2013, 01:11:55 PM »
Yeah. Quit and tried again and it worked on the first try.

And I agree, it's the best boss in the game. Would like to try it on harder difficulty. However I don't know if I will bother going back and playing again.

Ending was lame setup for a sequel that may never happen.

Overall DmC is OK. Not the best in the franchise. It's the worst out of the ones I've played but it's still a solid character action game with a pretty good combat system.

3/5
nat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
The ending was fine. Vergil cut a hole in that dimension and bailed the fuck out. Which is why he is angry in DMC3 aka the start.

So the new timeline is DmC -> DMC3 -> etc
fat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
you probably could go with that but i believe it's been said this is purposely a different dante and vergil.

then again they likely wrote the ending this way so if it were to bomb they could say "it's totally a prequel to the prequel!"
nat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
It's a joke. I know that.
fat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »
can't believe they made a Slurm Factory level.  There's a drink in Futurama called "Slurm" that is popular and sketchy like Virility. There's an episode where they go to the Slurm factory and it turns out the drink is made by a giant giant queen slug shitting in cans.  That part of the story is straight out of that episode!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »
I played the demo and enjoyed it! I think I am going to pick this up though it does sound like it's a mixed bag of sorts.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-almost-halves-dmc-sales-expectations/0110372

man, i'm starting to feel like the brash, rebellious Dante in these reviewers' oppressive, capitalist dictatorship world.

mjemirzian

« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
This is a sad situation all around. Poor sales, lousy game, ruined franchise. I'm going to lay the ultimate blame on whatever Capcom execs thought it was a good idea to chase after western level action game sales. Ninja Theory did their best, and customers can't be blamed for not buying the game.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2013, 02:42:09 PM »
This is a sad situation all around. Poor sales, lousy game, ruined franchise. I'm going to lay the ultimate blame on whatever Capcom execs thought it was a good idea to chase after western level action game sales. Ninja Theory did their best, and customers can't be blamed for not buying the game.

Exec. Singular. Inafune Keiji.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »
DMC1 had the best enemies they are more aggressive and threatening than DMC3/4's which just stand there.
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2013, 03:21:34 PM »
I like 4's enemies, they're all pretty aggressive aside from the fodder burlap puppets.

all the flying enemies in the DMC series annoy the shit out of me though. 

mjemirzian

« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »
That article writer screams "flunked out of movie school" bitter NT fanboy. I'm not blaming NT, though, they made the kind of game that they are known for.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
I think DmC is miles beyond what they're known for.   Seriously, it's a masterpiece next to the other two.  It's just painfully obvious after half the campaign that it's no Devil May Cry. 

pretty great seeing all these people who are so passionate about the series come out of the woodwork to fight about Dante styles with only vague mentions of gameplay.   ::)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:00:10 PM by Don Flamenco »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: February 05, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-almost-halves-dmc-sales-expectations/0110372

man, i'm starting to feel like the brash, rebellious Dante in these reviewers' oppressive, capitalist dictatorship world.

DmC: Devil May Cry is going to fall well short of Capcom’s initial expectations for the game.

Capcom had originally forecast sales of 2m units by the end of its financial year. That has now been lowered to just 1.2m units, Eurogamer reports.

In its first week on sale in the UK the game sold just a third of the number of copies shifted by its predecessor Devil May Cry 4 in the same time period. In Japan it managed around half the sales of DMC4.

It’s potentially a sad end to a tale brought about very much by the fans themselves. Anyone who played Devil May Cry 4 must surely of seen how desperately the IP needed an injection of new ideas and modernisation – which is exactly what the skilful Ninja Theory achieved.

Yet the fans revolted because Capcom dared to reinvent its IP for the 21st century and dared to change the colour of Dante’s hair. It’s really very sad.

A headline suggested by a colleague: “Devil May Cry fans destroy brand out of spite.” That about covers it.

The news comes as Capcom reports a sharp surge in profits.

Somebody forgot that Devil May Cry 1 came out in 2001...in the 21st century.  And doesn't Dante's hair color end up changing?   :lol

Somebody on GAF responded to that article and then this popped up twitter:

:lol
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:04:24 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2013, 09:10:48 PM »
I fucking swear all the dev meltdowns (cliffyb for instance) and twitter fights have made my new gaf account worth it.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »
oscar maybe you can explain why exactly dmc needed a reboot? especially this late in the console cycle. when alienating your existing fans seems the worst idea. why did they decided to scrap the entire franchise and start a new?
nat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
How is this guy different from a 'GAF fuckwit' aside from the fact that he gets paid for his distinguished mentally-challenged opinions exactly?
Hi

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
Re: DmC review thread - If you see an old school DmC fan, shoot on sight
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2013, 11:25:40 PM »
they even roped in Itsuno to say some horseshit and the fans got even worse  :lol :lol

talking about digging deeper into shit

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:09 PM »
all the more unfortunate that at the same time, they've undermined Resident Evil and overmilked Street Fighter, so they're really just hanging onto Monster Hunter for dear life until they can fix shit.

new Strider game

....PLATINUM

Strider by Platinum Games would be pretty tits

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2013, 12:00:46 AM »
i don't think platinum and capcom are ever going to be in the cards.

Seriously, people wishing for this are basically asking a divorced couple to go and get married again. They want nothing to do with each other.

Strider by Ninja Theory on the other hand...
SRY

Himu

« Reply #215 on: February 06, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »
Stop suggesting Platinum games making Capcom properties you idiots. It is old and tired and never going to happen.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #216 on: February 06, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »

Yes, this is Leagues of Unlikely -- probably just short of "Russian moon colony -- in 1936."

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2013, 12:25:20 AM »

i know that, but i'm just saying. look at the world we live in instead, where ninja theory does Devil May Cry.

Himu

« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:05 AM »
the world is a cruel, cruel place.
IYKYK

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2013, 04:19:16 AM »
bought PC version for 24.99 - installed on laptop and - yeah - even my 2010 MBP will be my prefered platform for the next year.

Will get a big fat PC of doom when i get a new job
O=X

Rahxephon91

« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2013, 04:27:35 AM »
Game was pretty good in the end.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2013, 04:51:17 AM »
Well it's NT's best game that's for sure. It was good, but not awe inspiring to the point that it proves Capcom needed to make this. This is a DMC game were Stinger does not work.

I mean I guess what NT does well is create pretty art and you've got some pretty cool levels. Now I don't know if that means it has great level design, but they look cool. Which is not something I would say for DMC3 and 4, but the diffrence is in DMC1 and 3 the levels had atmosphere, you know one especially had that Gothic castle feel going on. 3 I guess was about the same. The levels are'nt also connected in the way they were in past DMC games adding to a sense of progression and feeling of place. I guess the point and is in DMC it's style over substance, but at least the style is really cool looking. The Night club part of the game and the Newscaster part of the game offer some really cool visuals and well it is cool to see.

And while the game has "This gen branded easy platforming!", it still was pretty solid and better then past DMC games.

As for the the combat. This DMC is fun, it's way more mashy and accessible then anything in the past DMCS. I mean doing the launch also launching you in the air. I think that defines things. Doing combos is easy and the game guides you into them. No lock-on is stupid, but whatever. Oh and enemies look dumb.

I mean look it's a fun game, just not mechanically as deep as past dmc games. You know this game has all these move's, but I'm not even sure what the point of them are. Style over substance I guess.

The story, well new Dante is'nt as much of a douche, but well I mean he's just not memorable. Another "badass" dude. Oh boy. I liked DMC 3/4 Dante. Corny dude, but endearing and well yeah I liked his red coat. He had character. New Dante while not offensive, does not.

And the story really isn't offensive, but you know it doesn't do anything great. It just kind of happens and most of it predictable.

I guess in the end what I'm saying here is, we got a good game. Did we need it? No. If you had just made DMC5 with non repeating levels and more stuff for Nero or give Dante Nero's devil arm, we would have gotten a equally good or better game. Maybe, have NT help on spicing up your levels, because honestly thats kind of the stand out thing here. But I'm not sure if DMC needed "extreme cinematic" stuff going on in the levels or crazy art happening. It's not what past games where really going for.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
yeah, i lasted about 6 chapters...got to the beginning of the virility factory before I uninstalled.   I agree it's very forgettable and there's absolutely nothing in that combat engine that I care to spend time with. 

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »
yeah, i lasted about 6 chapters...got to the beginning of the virility factory before I uninstalled.   I agree it's very forgettable and there's absolutely nothing in that combat engine that I care to spend time with.

should at least played until the raptor news network and dance club levels. both are quite cool
nat

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2013, 05:21:39 AM »
Havin' a ball with this game, but I guess I was never the type to obsess over the series. I'm the kinda guy that gets flustered and pushes the wrong buttons and feels bad, so even this is a tad challenging for me at times. No lock-on is just objectively sucky, though.
zzzzz

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:10 AM »
One good thing about DMC 4 on PC is that Legendary Dark Knight mode with tons of enemies on screen at once.  It cuts the post game grind for orbs and proud souls down quite a bit.  All those enemies are giving you tons of orbs because it's really easy to get SSS since you hit 5 guys in one slice and can keep devil trigger going perpetually as long as there are a bunch of enemies to beat on.  And all the other points you accumulate go towards proud souls.  I always liked how they added that-- a mode that really takes advantage of the PC and couldn't be done on consoles without some cut backs.   

It's also ridiculously fun and one of my favorite parts of the entire series.  Like I said, you can keep devil trigger going forever.  When you run out, you get it back very quickly, all cause there are so many enemies.  So, it starts out pretty easy-- a bunch of groups of like 50 puppets with a couple mid-tier enemies like frosts or lizardmen dotted in there.   Then you get a couple chapters in and you're fighting groups of 50 frosts with an electricity demon fucking prowling among all of them and suddenly devil trigger does not feel quite as good as before.  I can't say it's fair at all, as your view is frequently blocked by shitloads of dudes--but if you've got the dmc glow, you can sort of feel it out and get back in sight quickly.  There will be occasional bullshit though.   And it'll destroy your hands from hitting so many buttons.

DMC 3 Blooper reel:  i found some way to copy over Dante's save, after I totally completed his modes.   I think I started a fresh Vergil and copied over Dante, thinking they'd both stay on the same save file (because why else would they even show it to me?)  I used a cheat to get back, but it totally killed my momentum and I gave up for a long time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:19:42 AM by Don Flamenco »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2013, 10:32:43 PM »

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »
what?  oh wait yeah, it's this game.  haha oh wow

forgot all about it

mjemirzian

« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2013, 03:55:22 AM »
If it's $5 on Steam this holiday sale I'll prob. pick it up (just so I can totally hate on it and stuff).

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »
It's just the marketing department. When they feel something's not going to be an automatic win, they won't support it up front, prior to launch, and they'll certainly not throw any additional money after launch. It creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
Wow, this game is basically buried. Good job Capcom.

They say they're satisfied with it here, but it's probably just investor-pleasing weasel talk:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/review.html

...please be investor pleasing weasel talk.  please.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
GameFly just sent it to me
fat