Author Topic: DmC review thread - If you see an old school DmC fan, shoot on sight  (Read 19500 times)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
X360 Magazine UK - 9/10

https://twitter.com/zombryn/status/285376208567402496

https://twitter.com/zombryn/status/285835930781220866

LEVEL (Swedish game magazine) - 9/10

http://i.imgur.com/9vo7A.jpg

Summary of LEVEL review:

Lots of fun variation in the level design. Dante swings between platforms, avoids incoming trains and explores vertical sewers

- The multiple stage transformations throughout the game is well integrated in the story that is being told

- Ninja Theory is taking a more serious approach than Capcom in the story-department

- The controls in DmC isn't as good as in the previous DMC-games - it's much better

- DMC-veterans will feel "home"

- Basically all the changes has been for the better good; combining Devil May Cry's deep, sophisticated action with the modern action-adventure stage-design

9/10

Gamemasters UK Review - 89/100

-The otherwise excellent story fades toward the end

-There's nothing here that's nearly as memorable as duking it out with Phantom and Virgil from the 2001 original

-New Dante is younger, meaner and swearier than his predecessor and-despite better voice acting-lacks that certain spark

-DmC combat doesn't feel as progressive as the rest of the game and is let down by the cookie cutter boss battles.

-Despite not making as heavy of an impact as the original rebooted DmC is still a bloody fantastic action game

-It's a close run thing, but 2001 DMC takes it by a hair's width thanks to its smooth combat and iconic hero

Italian Insight Factor Review - 7.5/10 - taken down.  Fake review or did they get too close to the truth?? :derp

*More accessible than its predecessors and a valid reboot.

*There is a "loss of depth" and the game is easier than previous games in the franchise.

*Overall experience is still nice and fun.

*Plot isn't that exciting or technically impressive... fails to rise to the occasion. Game might have scored higher by the review if it was better.

*The art design and different take on the fiction will not rest well with the stalwarts of the franchise but it's far from being a total failure.

*Omission of lock on is absurd and inexplicable. This results in comparatively more chaotic and less tactical combat than in the past.

*Graphics not technically impressive, some low polygon models and low resolution texture with 30FPS.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:53:43 PM by Don Flamenco »

Re: DmC review thread - dat salt u mad bro?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »
How dare you say anything nice about this game.

I really don't get the hate directed at DmC.
野球

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »
i'll play it when it's 20 bucks on steam.
nat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 01:20:11 PM »
How dare you say anything nice about this game.

I really don't get the hate directed at DmC.

just say something nice?  i thought we joke about extreme fanboyism here. 

i have nice things to say, even though i'm firmly on the hater side of things.   It's gonna be a beautiful game on PC.  Probably even fun. It's just, you know, a lesser substitute for the thing I liked a lot.  This kind of sacrifice is the thing I'm most afraid of with the casualization/westernization of games--my favorite franchises getting the shaft and Japanese pubs/devs prematurely abandoning the stuff that makes them unique. 

But judging by the demo, there's fun to be had with DmC.  I just probably won't challenge myself with it like I do with other action games...but that's cause of the combat engine and not video game politics.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:24:53 PM »
lol, original DMC won because of "iconic hero" ?
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »

"looks like Sephiroth" = iconic
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »
Triple A title brah

:teehee

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 02:29:39 PM »
YUROP reviews?!?  I need some credible reviews from 'MERICA, BRAH.
ど助平

mjemirzian

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »
"- The controls in DmC isn't as good as in the previous DMC-games - it's much better" They're not fooling anyone after the demo has been out.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »
This was always going to get good reviews. It's got flash and at at least GoW calibur combat. It's excatly what the games media likes.

And that's fine. Game seems good enough. I just hope we get Capcom made DMC game as well.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
i sure am mad it wont be perfect like the old dmc games
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »

"looks like Sephiroth" = iconic

Nah, he's definitely Vincent with white hair:

dog

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
YUROP reviews?!?  I need some credible reviews from 'MERICA, BRAH.

you'll have to wait until someone like Dahbomb gets it then!   

or if it leaks early, i'll pirate it, marathon, and let everyone know.

drew

• sy
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 12:26:13 AM »
"smooth action" "sophisticated action"

mhm.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
This was always going to get good reviews.

I don't think I agree with this. There was a lot of nerd based rage directed at this game which the media tends to follow and echo chamber back nowadays not to mention that reviewers aren't exactly falling over themselves to praise this genre. Perhaps they actually like it.

Although I have a feeling the hardcore will never like it no matter what.

Game isn't my cup of tea so I don't really have an opinion on the relative quality of the title based off the demo.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:35:21 AM by Stoney Mason »

Himu

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 12:37:32 AM »
How do you like getting the highest ranked combo with three hit combo?
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 12:59:34 AM »

I don't think I agree with this. There was a lot of nerd based rage directed at this game which the media tends to follow and echo chamber back nowadays not to mention that reviewers aren't exactly falling over themselves to praise this genre. Perhaps they actually like it.

Game isn't my cup of tea so I don't really have an opinion on the relative quality of the title based off the demo.
Yeah nerd rage from internet forum dwellers, but not really any media outlets. The same outlets that liked Enslaved and will give something like God of War a good review. Really there was no real outcry against the game beyond the nice crowd that plays DMC games as combo score games. Yeah the hardcore gamers. Game media websites looked at it with pretty open arms. I mean Giantbomb is about as kind of average game journalist as you can get and well they didn't have any strong feelings for Devil May Cry. It's a well liked series sure, but not everyone sits there and will try and get deep into it. And really it lacked that cinaiamtic presentation that was holding it back from being even more popular. NT is kind of good at that.  NT has gotten good media treatment three times now because they make games that have attractive flash. I mean Enslaved has pretty good reviews and I'm not sure how. All they had to do was make a GoW caliber game, because good and accessible games with cinematic flash will probably be well received. NT is good at the flash and the gameplay never looked that bad. It always looked decent and as good as GoW game. No it won't meet the DMC depth, but it dosent need to. Most people won't care if it does'nt.

And the character acion genre may not be the biggest genre in gaming, but it's well recived. Darksiders, God of War, and even Bayonetta got pretty good reviews.

I'm not saying the games media has it out for SUPER HARDCORE SKILLZ games like DMC. Obviously not. Look at that Soul stuff. But I mean look at Uncharted. Good games, but looking at just the gameplay you would maybe think otherwise. Add in how well Naughty Dog does pacing, presentation, and story and you have a critical darling. And really NT is kind of a B Level Naughty Dog.  They are really good at presentation and art, kind of mixed when it comes to story, and well gameplay is not their strongest suit. But it sounds like with DMC they made an decent action game with their presentation qualities that have kind of been liked two times already.

I honestly never expected this game to get bad reviews.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 01:04:11 AM »

long reasonable post

After reading your post I think we are probably saying the same thing. The people who review games like this are not the same audience as the hardcore forum people. So a more accessible, casual experience is fine by them. And that's ninja theory's strength. I don't disagree with that. 

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:53 AM »

why do people say this?  the "hardcore" action game fans will judge it by its gameplay and that's it.  if it was any good, they'd say so, if it sucks they'd say so. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »

why do people say this?  the "hardcore" action game fans will judge it by its gameplay and that's it.  if it was any good, they'd say so, if it sucks they'd say so.

I say it because its true. I'm not assigning blame. I'm saying if you loved DMC for very specific reasons its very likely you won't like this one based on an outsider response I've seen to the title. This phenomenon is not unusual for very hardcore series that attempt to broaden their appeal. It's very possible for it to be an enjoyable game for some people and not the same hardcore experience that drove others to like it originally and it instead turns them off. It happens all the time.

mjemirzian

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 01:18:37 AM »
If they wanted anyone to swallow early review BS regarding the controls, combat, mechanics, etc. they shouldn't have released a demo. That LEVEL review is written by an idiot reveling in his ignorance and wrongness as if he's "sticking it" to those hardcore gamers who complained.

Robo

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »
If they wanted anyone to swallow early review BS regarding the controls, combat, mechanics, etc. they shouldn't have released a demo. That LEVEL review is written by an idiot reveling in his ignorance and wrongness as if he's "sticking it" to those hardcore gamers who complained.

u mad bro?
obo

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 03:46:12 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm already invested in my disdain for this game. You could review it as vagina out of 10 I will still find a way to hate it.

Bebpo

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 05:22:06 AM »
Eh, I'll play it when it's $20, but these days reviews for AAA games don't mean a thing.  Everything gets 8s/9s/10s.  It's pointless.  I'll wait for the feedback, plus it adjusts your expectations.  Everyone told me Assassin's Creed 3 was awful, and I'm playing it now with super lowered expectations and after 8 hours it's been pretty great so far.  Not as good as AC2, but good game for sure.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
cat

mjemirzian

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 08:27:53 AM »
u mad bro?
Yup suuuuuuuuuper mad bro. Nah I don't care what they did with the game, those clueless reviews are just annoying. Like when someone claims you're "forced" to grind to get past some part of an RPG when if you had half a brain you don't need to grind at all.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 08:56:02 AM »

I say it because its true. I'm not assigning blame. I'm saying if you loved DMC for very specific reasons its very likely you won't like this one based on an outsider response I've seen to the title. This phenomenon is not unusual for very hardcore series that attempt to broaden their appeal. It's very possible for it to be an enjoyable game for some people and not the same hardcore experience that drove others to like it originally and it instead turns them off. It happens all the time.

it's not a "phenomenon," it's a hardcore series attempting to broaden its appeal...by messing with the gameplay, as you said.   That's different from "won't like it no matter what."   There are other factors like story, characters, graphics, etc.  that people weigh differently.   but the people's whose opinions I care most about are that endangered species who couldn't care less about any of that and just judge it on gameplay, which is who I think of when people say "hardcore" DMC fans.  Not the large and vocal group of DMC fanfic writers.   

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
because capcom

archie4208

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »
The saddest thing about this game is that it happened because Capcom wanted God of War level sales (5 mill) instead of DMC4 sales (2.7 mill), but they're now projecting it to sell worse than both. 

I kind of feel bad for Ninja Theory on this one, though.  They suck but I get the feeling they really tried hard on this one.  Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart actually did his best to study for a test for once but still failed anyway.

So what you're saying is that Tameem has to tearfully recite some Devil May Cry trivia and it'll break even.

Beezy

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 11:05:38 AM »
Who is Exodust?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
The saddest thing about this game is that it happened because Capcom wanted God of War level sales (5 mill) instead of DMC4 sales (2.7 mill), but they're now projecting it to sell worse than both. 

I kind of feel bad for Ninja Theory on this one, though.  They suck but I get the feeling they really tried hard on this one.  Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart actually did his best to study for a test for once but still failed anyway.

i don't know enough to make the judgment call, but that's the vibe I get from this game and Ninja Gaiden 3.  They think if they dumb it down and rage it up, their action games will do better than ever.  NG3's sales halved from 2 to 3, iirc, and that's Xbox 360 NG2 vs. PS3/360 NG3.   but i think this one will sell better than NG3. 

I'm guessing it's Japanese pubs not letting Japanese devs stick with Japanese strengths in development.  or just going to western studios, like in this case.  very reactionary stuff.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:18:47 AM by Don Flamenco »

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
BUT what about NINJA GAIDEN 3 RAZOR'S EDGE on the WII U???!?  :smug

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I bet it sucks too!
[close]
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »
NG3 was a flat out disaster.  DmC should do quite a bit better.

If Chartzzzzzz is to be believed it's not even on the radar of pre-orders.

Game's going to bomb, hard. It may do a little better than NG3 but didn't NG3 have some pre-orders? There's no interest in this title at all. From hardcore fans of the series (see the backlash) and from casual players of the series. I know of one person that is getting it, and that's only because "new Dante is hot." But this dude is ghey, so...

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »
if it bombs, the question is whether capcom ignores the series for 5 years or smartens up and makes a damn good Devil May Cry team with a japanese team.   i don't understand why japanese teams are the only ones who seem to be able to pull off a deep, detailed combat system in an action game :lol

Himu

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
hahahah ng3 did 500k ww? how well did ng2 do including sigma version?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
ahahahaha
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
no matter what happens, i'm happy there's still shit to get good at in other DMC games that I can't do yet:

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »
That fight against Credo is one of my favorite in the series. Such a fun and challenging boss battle.

Nothing they've shown of this game has instilled any confidence this will be a fun game. Looks like a babby version of DMC.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
I totally forgot DMC4 had the revving mechanic. When you learn about it and can instantly rev during a combo is completely changes the game.
nat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »
Capcom and Ninja Theory feel DmC: Devil May Cry will sate the brutality lust of series fans, while teaching newcomers a few of the high level techniques otherwise confined to certain terrifying Youtube videos.

"When I looked at videos of pro-players playing the old DMCs, they're always in the air, they're always juggling enemies around, and doing stuff that most of us look at and think 'I have no idea how that works'," combat designer Rahni Tucker told Dan Griliopoulos during a studio chat.

"We wanted to take that magic the pro-players could create and give more casual players a bit of that feeling. A bit extra hang-time, more aerial moves, the launch button is a single press without a lock-on."

Besides Dante's dependable launcher, the new DmC expands on Devil May Cry 4's grappling functionality in the form of Angel and Demonic grapples - one of which drags you after the target, the other of which drags the target to you. Given the mental wherewithal to distinguish one from the other in a blistering fight, these effectively guarantee a steady supply of combo fodder while Dante's aloft.

Game director Hideaki Itsuno of Capcom insists that this commercially necessary shift hasn't cost the game its vertiginous top layer of skill. "As the series has gone we've seen new users die out, as it took longer to get into it. When it came time to make DMC 4, with the new hero and new moves, new techniques and skills, not many new fans entered the series.

"But with this new DmC, you can take the techniques built up during the old series, and the bar to entry for new users is very low. Both old and new fans will be able to enjoy the game, and I'm very proud of them."

According to creative director Tameem Antoniades, enemies will also punish players for repeating moves. "If you do certain moves over and over, the AI stops you from doing that or responds to you doing that. DmC's a game about playing for style and hitting that high SSS rank is difficult."

Nailing the best combo ratings requires that you keep experimenting, in short. "You can get 50% there by regular combat, but if you want SSS you need to play more creatively. Once you play through the game, the difficulty modes just ramp up skyward."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/48901/new-devil-may-cry-will-teach-casuals-the-magic-of-pro-gaming-entry-bar-is-very-low/

So much cognitive dissonance brought about by one article, not sure where to begin. 

did sales of DMC really drop with each iteration?   I saw 2.4 million for DMC4 in the sales thread.  If those are just hardcore fans, then 2.4 million in guaranteed sales would be pretty nice, one would think.  ::) 

I'm not sure how much easier the combat inputs actually are.  you're still doing a whole of button presses and that's just the demo move set.   I don't see such a huge entry level difference between DMC and DmC. 

So much fake justification, but I guess that can't outright say "we want GoW numbers"

edit: also, the article basically says "feel of pro play" :rofl 

It's not the game's fault, but I really hate that all the PR has been an attempt to convince people that this game was necessary
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:33:04 PM by Don Flamenco »

mjemirzian

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 10:05:46 PM »
Would you guys accept games like MvC3 or SF4 as DMC substitutes?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »
Would you guys accept games like MvC3 or SF4 as DMC substitutes?

you mean those games specifically or fighting games in general?   I already play the hell out of those games too...well, UMVC3.  I'm pretty done with SF4. 

i sort of see where you're going with that but no, action games are still very different altogether.  fighters don't scratch the same itch.

Action game characters have more moves and mobility/spacing options to deal with large groups of enemies, who are designed around your character's move set.   Combo and move timing is looser + more free flowing...none of that weird link timing like SF4 or long, drawn out combos in UMVC3.  And you have the progression of the story mode-- picking up new moves, fighting bosses, new enemies, etc.   

playing fighters online is a bit of a crapshoot and i'm not going to locals, so people who put up a good challenge who aren't too strong or too weak are hard to find.  action games have consistent difficulty that you just have to figure out using the options you have, repeating the same situations over and over.  fighting game situations change depending on who you're playing and you might just get blindsided multiple times in a row and not learn anything new.

in short, i want dmc5 dammit!  and another upgrade to UMVC3, but that's a different thread.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:48:59 PM by Don Flamenco »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Re: DmC review thread - Feel of Professional Writer
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 12:26:54 AM »
DmC sounds like the perfect game for a button masher like me. :bow2
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 12:29:38 AM »
I like flash and color. I'm going to play this for the pretty pictures and because there's not much else out there.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »

dirty softcore peasant

...wait that gives me an idea for a porno...

mjemirzian

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 01:37:05 AM »
You could play DMC, Bayonetta, etc. on easy and mash away as well.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »
Ninja Theory have already decided any review below 89% isn't legitimate.  Awesome.

link?

i don't have a link but it went something like this:

--some italian website put up a 7.5 review.
--It got taken down
--NT tweeted that they're happy about all the "genuine" review scores being so high
--people flipped
--NT tweeted that the site that got taken down didn't have a review copy, which is what they meant by "genuine" 

kind of a non-issue, imo. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:56 AM »
You could play DMC, Bayonetta, etc. on easy and mash away as well.

But how am I supposed to get that pro feel, breh?
©@©™

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
RIP weird slovenly older Dante.  I'm sorry for making fun of you  :'(

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:58:10 PM by Don Flamenco »

mjemirzian

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »
But how am I supposed to get that pro feel, breh?
Dress like this kid, of course.  8)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:42 AM »
doesn't look that bad with the wig on! 

but i still don't understand the japanese deal with giving characters gray + white hair.  the P4 protagonist looks like some weird old man to me.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »
This is totally a spoiler for something funny that happens in DmC, but I had a good laugh at it, even being not much of a fan of NT.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

That's good, I like that. Will def play this game.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »
If you buy DONTE THA DEOMAN KILLUH at Best Buy, you get RE6 for $10
fat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
They should call it the Knife In Your Back Bundle.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »
If you buy DONTE THA DEOMAN KILLUH at Best Buy, you get RE6 for $10

What?   :lol
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »
my name is donte

BUT YOU CAN JUST CALL ME DONTE THE DEOMAN KILLUH

GOT A NICE RING DONT IT?
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: DmC review thread - Capcom to acqure NT for Mega Man reboot.
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2013, 08:38:08 AM »
ど助平