Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2373428 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
I don't think Donald Trump wants to win the nomination because he is smart enough to know what his numbers will be going into the general election. His base of support stayed pretty constant since he announced and the base of voters opposed to him will probably also stay constant. He's not very difficult to yuuuuge judgements on.

What I think he's hoping for is the Republican leadership to dump him at the convention and give him a platform to go down as an independent martyr. I don't know if that's really going to happen but he has a lot to lose going in as the GOP nominee since his loss will be entirely his own fault.

Mandark

• Icon
Anyone running for president has a surplus of ego and ambition.  Romney apparently thought he was going to win in 2012, Bernie didn't have a concession speech prepared for Nevada, etc.  Is there any doubt that Trump believes he can win, or that he's surrounding himself with advisers who will tell him what he wants to hear?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
People have been saying that for months now and well... here we are. Can the Party even really dump him at this point without destroying its own credibility ?

An election is decided when ballots are cast and not a minute before. With an ego like that, I certainly would believe he expects to convince more voters, for current events to turn the tide his way (Betting on a couple noticeable Islamist terrorist atrocities anywhere in the world in the space of several months is pretty safe, for instance) or for his opponent to make an atrocious gaffe.
ὕβρις

it's a shitty situation because 1) nancy reagan just died so you can't very well be negative about her to the press and 2) nancy reagan did start a conversation about aids...five years too late.

it's like she struggled to choose the one thing she could think of to say about the woman that was politically relevant and not horrible.

:gurl How hard is it to not mention AIDS. No one is asking her to spit on Nancy Reagan's grave, just say the nice things about her work with Alzheimer's and stem cell research.

don't get me wrong, it's a stupid and incredibly unfortunate gaffe.

i just don't think it's a big red flag about her "real" views or "real" plans.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Jesus, Hillary has been terrible lately.
püp

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
trying to fight GOP and Sanders with literally every statement she makes is making Clinton look kinda funny

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/708526634459078656

Syph

i'm beginning to accept that the next 4 years if not 8 will be shit either way
 :usacry
XO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
hair icon, pantsuit aficionado
Real issues.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
hair icon, pantsuit aficionado
Real issues.

Those aren't pantsuits. They're from JC Penney's licensed Kim Jong Un line of casual wear.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
it's a shitty situation because 1) nancy reagan just died so you can't very well be negative about her to the press and 2) nancy reagan did start a conversation about aids...five years too late.

it's like she struggled to choose the one thing she could think of to say about the woman that was politically relevant and not horrible.

:gurl How hard is it to not mention AIDS. No one is asking her to spit on Nancy Reagan's grave, just say the nice things about her work with Alzheimer's and stem cell research.

True. Hilary's views and plans can change dramatically over the course of five minutes, depending on how many cameras and people are in a room.
OH!

True. Hilary's views and plans can change dramatically over the course of five minutes, depending on how many cameras and people are in a room.

I also don't get the pandering argument in this case. If she's such a pro at pandering who did she think she was pandering to? LGBTs? Obviously not with Reagan involved. Reaganites? Obviously not with HIV involved.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/4a3tv8/bill_on_hillary_you_know_ive_had_much_more/

Leads to:

http://www.queerty.com/bill-clinton-cautioned-that-hillarys-discomfort-around-gay-issues-would-hurt-her-2000-senate-bid-20150924

Then, according to Branch, the president reflected on having signed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996, allowing states to pass same-sex marriage bans, telling his friend, “I thought it was right at the time, and I’m not sure that it is.”

“[Bill] said, ‘Generally I support the gay agenda right down the line,’” said Branch. “He said this was hard for me, and I’m sure there are still a few things that are hard for me to swallow.”

Then Clinton reportedly told Branch that, “Hillary, emotionally speaking, still finds the issue harder to swallow than I do. And that it could be difficult for her in New York politics, how far she’ll be asked to go.”

:gurl And it's not just Bill, anyone that has seen Clinton (both of them, really) knows their policies and views are a bit skeptical at times. But Hillary's in general only change depending on how it benefits her politically.

Just to go down that article because I know I ribbed Andy over his fantactism toward her when she really doesn't support teh gheys if you notice it:

Branch concluded that Clinton was “essentially I think saying that Hillary had kind of a conservative religious temperament, and was not likely to be comfortable around gay people who were kind of acting out, or pushing her to the limit. She did have general discomfort.”

Hillary’s evolution on gay rights has been a touchy subject for the 2016 Democratic front-runner, and this recording adds to speculation that she may have felt the need to come out in favor of marriage equality for political reasons — a point which ruffled her feathers when Terry Gross pressed her about it on Fresh Air last June.

“I think you’re trying to say I used to be opposed and now I’m in favor and I did it for political reasons, and that’s just flat wrong,” Clinton told Gross, annoyance in her voice.

By contrast, fellow Democratic hopeful Bernie Sanders has a well-documented track record standing up for gay rights for decades.

Yet Clinton has developed a passionate and vocal support base among gay men, something George Chauncey Jr., a professor of history and American studies at Yale and author of Gay New York: Gender, Urban Culture and the Making of the Gay Male World, attributes in no small part to “that resonance of the long-suffering woman with older gay men,” pointing to Judy Garland as a reference point.

:dead

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Great Rumbler and JoeMolotov representing the Bore
:lawd

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Is ANYONE checking ANYTHING before she goes and says it? JFC. :duh
Hi

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Dude, cmon. No likes for you.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
Would be great if at least one right wing blogger could have a heart attack or stroke after Hillary wins in November. I mean if every single one of them keeled over and died, that would also be great, but a major cardiovascular event or two would be satisfactory.
I'm sorry, the DNC's Death Note was already used on Scalia and can only be deployed very sparingly.

thisismyusername

https://twitter.com/search?q=historybyhillary&src=typd

:rofl

I was coming to post this and the "Bernie is right behind you!" tweets. But I see you guys got it.

:banderas

https://twitter.com/TCorp/status/708801999924563968

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rofl
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 09:00:11 PM by thisismyusername »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
"I'm going to ask that you arrest them," Trump said to the police. "I'll file whatever charges you want. If they want to do this ... we're going to go strongly for your arrests."

Trump said arresting protesters would "ruin the rest of their lives" by giving them a "big arrest mark."

It's gonna be a yooge arrest, really classy. Some of the best people are going to be handling this arrest.
©@©™

Dennis

Trump was...negotiating...with the police?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
He said the police told him to call off his rally in Chicago because of safety concerns, but the police were like "no we didn't, wtf?"
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Trump really going for that Halo dudebro demographic.
ὕβρις

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
Trump really going for that Halo dudebro demographic.
saw a group of them wearing Trump shirts today. They did look and sound exactly like the guys who would call me queer during a Halo match.

thisismyusername

I know everyone here says Trump support is with the working class but it's good to have the data:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/upshot/the-geography-of-trumpism.html

Mr. Trump has his share of support from the affluent and the well educated, but in the places where support for Mr. Trump runs the strongest, the proportion of the white population that didn’t finish high school is relatively high. So is the proportion of working-age adults who neither have a job nor are looking for one. The third-strongest correlation among hundreds of variables tested: the preponderance of mobile homes.

(And so on, on down in the article)

Interestingly:

Despite Mr. Trump’s racially loaded message on the campaign trail, and evidence that some individual Trump voters are driven by racial hostility, this analysis didn’t show a particularly powerful relationship between the racial breakdown of a county and its likelihood of voting for Trump. There are Trump-supporting counties where very high proportions of the population are African-American and others where it was very low, for example.

:doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

Bright kids...
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
We should start a death pool on when the first person will die at a Trump rally. I've got this Friday (3/18) in the pool.
yar

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
 :usacry  :gloomy :usacry :gloomy :usacry :gloomy :usacry
Quote from: Ben Shaprio
As a close personal friend and mentee of Andrew Breitbart’s, it saddens me tremendously to announce that as of 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time, I have resigned from Breitbart News as editor-at-large. I met Andrew Breitbart when I was seventeen years old and remained his friend until his tragic death; I signed on with Breitbart News two weeks before Andrew’s death because I believed in his mission.

I am proud of what we accomplished in the years following his death, fighting back against the leftist media and debunking the left’s key narratives. I have many good friends at Breitbart News, including editor-in-chief Alex Marlow and editor-at-large John Nolte, and I admire CEO Larry Solov for his dedication to ensuring a financial future for Andrew’s widow, Susie, and his four children.

Andrew built his life and his career on one mission: fight the bullies. But Andrew’s life mission has been betrayed. Indeed, Breitbart News, under the chairmanship of Steve Bannon, has put a stake through the heart of Andrew’s legacy. In my opinion, Steve Bannon is a bully, and has sold out Andrew’s mission in order to back another bully, Donald Trump; he has shaped the company into Trump’s personal Pravda, to the extent that he abandoned and undercut his own reporter, Breitbart News’ Michelle Fields, in order to protect Trump’s bully campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, who allegedly assaulted Michelle. I spoke with Michelle the night after the incident. She told me her story. That story was backed by audiotape, eyewitness testimony from The Washington Post’s Ben Terris, physical bruises, and video tape.

Both Lewandowski and Trump maligned Michelle in the most repulsive fashion. Meanwhile, Breitbart News not only stood by and did nothing outside of tepidly asking for an apology, they then attempted to abandon Michelle by silencing staff from tweeting or talking about the issue. Finally, in the ultimate indignity, they undermined Michelle completely by running a poorly-evidenced conspiracy theory as their lead story in which Michelle and Terris had somehow misidentified Lewandowski.

This is disgusting. Andrew never would have stood for it. No news outlet would stand for it.

Nobody should.

This truly breaks my heart. But, as I am fond of saying, facts don’t care about your feelings, and the facts are undeniable: Breitbart News has become precisely the reverse of what Andrew would have wanted. Steve Bannon and those who follow his lead should be ashamed of themselves.

The exodus, which began with the company’s spokesman Kurt Bardella, is unlikely to end with Fields and Shapiro. Three sources say multiple staffers are searching for a way out of the company — with several actively circulating résumés, according to two sources — and more resignations could follow in the coming days and weeks. The company is known for having editorial employees sign unusually strict contracts, at least some of which include non-compete clauses that could make it difficult to leave Breitbart for another news outlet.

Relations between Bannon and the site’s staff — which were already fraught with tension over the direction and editorial vision for the company — have deteriorated sharply over the episode with the Trump campaign. According to one company source with knowledge of the situation, some editors have discussed telling Breitbart News CEO Larry Solov they will quit unless Bannon is ousted.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Turns out, the Trump rally wasn't a Safe Space.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Was watching a Daily Show bit : is it true that all the products he displayed in his victory speech were total BS, with the Trump winery saying on their website they are neither owned or affiliated with him when he claimed 100% ownership (and dared the journalist to do their research) ?

I mean at this point, it has to be a social experiment ? Dude is straight lying on national TV about things that can be verified through a Google search.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

As a close personal friend and mentee of Andrew Breitbart’s, it saddens me tremendously to announce that as of 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time, I have resigned from Breitbart News as editor-at-large. I met Andrew Breitbart when I was seventeen years old and remained his friend until his tragic death; I signed on with Breitbart News two weeks before Andrew’s death because I believed in his mission.

I am proud of what we accomplished in the years following his death, fighting back against the leftist media and debunking the left’s key narratives. I have many good friends at Breitbart News, including editor-in-chief Alex Marlow and editor-at-large John Nolte, and I admire CEO Larry Solov for his dedication to ensuring a financial future for Andrew’s widow, Susie, and his four children.

Andrew built his life and his career on one mission: fight the bullies. But Andrew’s life mission has been betrayed. Indeed, Breitbart News, under the chairmanship of Steve Bannon, has put a stake through the heart of Andrew’s legacy. In my opinion, Steve Bannon is a bully, and has sold out Andrew’s mission in order to back another bully, Donald Trump; he has shaped the company into Trump’s personal Pravda, to the extent that he abandoned and undercut his own reporter, Breitbart News’ Michelle Fields, in order to protect Trump’s bully campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, who allegedly assaulted Michelle. I spoke with Michelle the night after the incident. She told me her story. That story was backed by audiotape, eyewitness testimony from The Washington Post’s Ben Terris, physical bruises, and video tape.

Both Lewandowski and Trump maligned Michelle in the most repulsive fashion. Meanwhile, Breitbart News not only stood by and did nothing outside of tepidly asking for an apology, they then attempted to abandon Michelle by silencing staff from tweeting or talking about the issue. Finally, in the ultimate indignity, they undermined Michelle completely by running a poorly-evidenced conspiracy theory as their lead story in which Michelle and Terris had somehow misidentified Lewandowski.

This is disgusting. Andrew never would have stood for it. No news outlet would stand for it.

Nobody should.

This truly breaks my heart. But, as I am fond of saying, facts don’t care about your feelings, and the facts are undeniable: Breitbart News has become precisely the reverse of what Andrew would have wanted. Steve Bannon and those who follow his lead should be ashamed of themselves.

The exodus, which began with the company’s spokesman Kurt Bardella, is unlikely to end with Fields and Shapiro. Three sources say multiple staffers are searching for a way out of the company — with several actively circulating résumés, according to two sources — and more resignations could follow in the coming days and weeks. The company is known for having editorial employees sign unusually strict contracts, at least some of which include non-compete clauses that could make it difficult to leave Breitbart for another news outlet.

Relations between Bannon and the site’s staff — which were already fraught with tension over the direction and editorial vision for the company — have deteriorated sharply over the episode with the Trump campaign. According to one company source with knowledge of the situation, some editors have discussed telling Breitbart News CEO Larry Solov they will quit unless Bannon is ousted.

Actually, it's about ethics in Trump Journalism?

On a less mean-joke: I hope the people that find the CEO vile find better jobs and actually turn their shitty journalism around.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.

Nobody should.

:cac
It's ok when your shitty tabloid is shitty to other people, but when it's shitty to your own that crosses the line? 

Eat a dick, scumbag. :sheik
©ZH

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
That's weird. Trump is the exact guy that Breitbart wanted as a candidate for years. I used to listen to him when he would come on Adam Carolla's podcast and he would opine for an 'outsider' that spoke frankly. He would blow smoke up Adam's ass and tell him he could make a good presidential candidate one day.

Phoenix Dark

This truly breaks my heart. But, as I am fond of saying, facts don’t care about your feelings, and the facts are undeniable: Breitbart News has become precisely the reverse of what Andrew would have wanted.

reverse-Brietbartism
:ohhh

Phoenix Dark

"Has anybody bought that wine? I want to know what that wine tastes like," a laughing Obama said at a Democratic Party fundraiser Saturday. "I mean, come on. You know that's like some $5 wine. They slap a label on it. They charge you $50 and say it's the greatest wine ever."

"Come on," Obama said, still laughing. "Oh, boy. Selling wine. That's not what we're for. Couldn't make it up."
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/obama-trolls-trump-wine
:dead

You know Trump is furious over this :dead

I'm going to need Steve Contra's opinion on Trump Wine.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
I will say this. He's right about one thing for sure. There were definitely professional plants catering to Sanders at the Cleveland event. They were way to well organized to be random people who met up on site.

Not sure who's funding them but this much is clear.
YMMV

nachobro

• Live Más
I wouldn't be surprised. Sanders finally doing something worthwhile with all that dough from the jobless and college shmucks.

Shenmue3

Kasich.. It's your time

Am_I_Anonymous

Kasich.. It's your time

I live in Ohio, allow me to respond with a robust "who?" and let you know that pretty much sums up our state's thoughts on Kasich.
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Kasich has caught up to Trump in the latest polls (they're basically tied)

Will be interesting to see how the violence over the weekend affects Tuesdays primaries. I think Trump wins Florida, Illinois, and North Carolina. Kasich wins Ohio and Cruz wins Missouri.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

Kasich has caught up to Trump in the latest polls (they're basically tied)

Will be interesting to see how the violence over the weekend affects Tuesdays primaries. I think Trump wins Florida, Illinois, and North Carolina. Kasich wins Ohio and Cruz wins Missouri.

Kasich wins Ohio
Trump wins all of the rest
Put a bullet in Cruz, he dead.
YMMV

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Dinesh Disouza looks like a brown Mr. Bean.
©ZH

nachobro

• Live Más
Kasich seems like such a zero but even that is impressive when compared to Rubio and Cruz

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
I know everyone here says Trump support is with the working class but it's good to have the data:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/upshot/the-geography-of-trumpism.html

Mr. Trump has his share of support from the affluent and the well educated, but in the places where support for Mr. Trump runs the strongest, the proportion of the white population that didn’t finish high school is relatively high. So is the proportion of working-age adults who neither have a job nor are looking for one. The third-strongest correlation among hundreds of variables tested: the preponderance of mobile homes.

Trump vs Hillary

Trump wins Ohio and Pennsylvania. I guarantee it.

Im buying as soon as those markets go online on predictit
:O

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
It seems unfathomable that someone can win Ohio and Pennsylvania and still lose the election.

Syph

who would've thought that breitbart's final nail in the coffin would be letting Ben Shapiro go lol
this is a weird timeline we are in
it's actually pretty nuts how obsessed they've become with championing Trump
comes with the territory i suppose

in other news, this morning when i opened cnn.com (i like to start my day off with a smile) the headline and 8 out of the 10 stories on the side mentioned Trump....now that is fucked
spoiler (click to show/hide)
and none mentioned Rubio
[close]
XO

james

It seems unfathomable that someone can win Ohio and Pennsylvania and still lose the election.

This is going to be a different election.

Blue dogs voting dems is over. Obama and Hills have strongly supported closing down coal and also strongly support free trade agreements that kill the rust belt. Say what you want about free trade, the fact is, the American manufacturer loses, and free trade policies have not included ANY mitigation for these job losses. Look at Detroit, Youngstown, Pittsburgh etc.

Unions have only voted Dem because Republicans have been fighting to kill unions. Not that Dems have done anything to strengthen or protect unions, they simply have been less-worse. And quite frankly, every time an R wants to pass an anti-union measure, they win. D puts up a half-assed fight but loses. What was the last pro-labor thing the Dems did?

Trump isnt a standard R. He wants tariffs that WILL bring back manufacturing jobs. As far as I know, hes said nothing anti-union, and I believe all his hotel workers are unionized. He also has been very pro-cop (aka, pro union cop).

I think Hillary will still win, but we're going to be looking at a very different map from 2012 or 2008.

james

If Trump takes the manufacturing core of our country, he wins, 270 to 268

http://www.270towin.com/maps/qKZp6

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Trump is going to win the deep south, and some western states that are basically deep south, and nothing else
yar

james

Trump is going to win the deep south, and some western states that are basically deep south, and nothing else

Im sure thats what Rubio and Bush thought 4 months ago

Am_I_Anonymous

And Ohio, and Pennsylvania, and most likely Florida.

Face it boys, unless he fucks up he's going to win. Stellar class you guys put out this year libs...
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
General election electorate is waaaaaaaay different than the GOP primary electorate. Also, someone could have easily beaten Trump if all the non-Trump fuckwits had gotten out before Iowa. Trump's ceiling is probably around 45% of the GOP primary electorate.
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Drumpf is going to win the deep south, and some western states that are basically deep south, and nothing else

And Ohio, and Pennsylvania, and most likely Florida.

Face it boys, unless he fucks up he's going to win. Stellar class you guys put out this year libs...

:heh :heh :heh

Bro, for real?!

Trump will not win Ohio.  Cleveland and Columbus and surrounding areas will see to that.

Florida might be different cuz of the olds tho
püp

james

General election electorate is waaaaaaaay different than the GOP primary electorate. Also, someone could have easily beaten Trump if all the non-Trump fuckwits had gotten out before Iowa. Trump's ceiling is probably around 45% of the GOP primary electorate.

My favorite part of this election is how his ceiling has gone up from 20% to apparently, now 45%.

Every single person who voted for Romney will vote for Trump. But Trump will also get all the blue collar white voters who stayed home thanks to the 47% comments + anti-union message.

Remember how in the general election, Mass and Maryland voted R for governor? You know how Wisconsin and Ohio keep voting for their same idiot R governors over and over again? Remember how Florida voted for the guy who robbed from their medicare accounts?

You dont think those same voters will vote Trump?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Remember how all that shit was in 2014 when Democrats largely sat on their asses and didn't vote? Can't compare off year and presidential year elections, breh
yar

james

Remember how all that shit was in 2014 when Democrats largely sat on their asses and didn't vote? Can't compare off year and presidential year elections, breh

Yeah because the governor of the freaking state is a position no one but policy wonks cares about!

But please, rationalize how the GOP controls the House, the Senate, and most of the states at all levels but theyre the party in disarray that no one would ever vote for, especially with a populist candidate against Hillary "I lost last time" Clinton.

Ask Martha Coakley how that works out.

Brehvolution

Trump saying he'd bring back jobs is probably the yuuuuugest lie of any of the campaigns. Even Cruz has said that he promises <500,000 job growth per year which is being beat every 2 months right now. Neither with any specifics of course because they don't have any. The middle class isn't who they serve.
©ZH