Author Topic: Uncharted 4: Tomb Raider  (Read 30106 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Uncharted 4: Tomb Raider
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »
It looks like a good time! You are lucky!

G The Resurrected

« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2013, 07:19:33 AM »
Yeah it was a lot of fun and a surprise. Last time I had this much fun for a game launch was Bioshock 2. The missus and I played the ARG and won entrance into the developer launch party in SF. We got so wasted on plasmid themed drinks. Then we got invited to another bar two nights later for the game launch and signing at the market Gamestop. Tonight was at least close to home.

Damn youtube takes forever to upload videos.

guess I made it in some pictures on the tomb raider site

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:03:09 AM by G The Resurrected »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2013, 08:06:02 AM »
Which person are you?

G The Resurrected

« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2013, 08:09:23 AM »
The super fat dude with glasses leaning on the counter looking smug.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/44615708136/midnight-release-cherry-orchard-gamestop-last#notes

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Once I get back to the Bay Area, I will drop you a line for coffee and geekery.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2013, 08:17:38 AM »
ooo a geek date

sounds good to me

tress fx nukes my 570ti  :-\

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »
Good game is good, all haters annihilated. The PC version looks ridiculously nice, even on fairly modest settings.

TressFX made my PC weep, though. :lol

Yeah, friend of mine is running it with TressFX at 40.1FPS, and gets 89FPS without it turned on. WHEEEEE!

That's insane. Hair physics ain't worth that.

You'll want to comb her.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
Carpet matches the drapes
fat

drew

• sy
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »

dat arm twist to hide dem tittays, and failing.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »
fat

G The Resurrected

« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »

dat arm twist to hide dem tittays, and failing.

I've got bigger tits than Lara Croft and that's no lie.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »
Bz send him the nude, make him suffer
fat

G The Resurrected

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
Bz send him the nude, make him suffer

I don't have that anywhere, but if someone wants to you have my permission to wreck his eyeballs.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »
The PS3 version says "Hybrid Disc Game + Movie" on the back of the box...WTF?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Last game I saw like that was Tekken Hybrid. Stranglehold was too. Is the Tomb Raider movie hidden on the disc or something?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:22:23 PM by ManaByte »
CBG

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »
wow, you guys really fell for this?   Does it suddenly not become typical AAA bullshit after 4 hours?   Cause as patronizing and easy this game is, I'd be shocked if it got any better, gameplay wise.

This is progress quest bullshit.  It gives you EPIC SETPIECE, you run around and shoot 10/10 hidden objects for XP, you do some risk-free platforming (with lots of grunts and canned animations to make you feel like you're not just pressing the analog stick forward), and kill some dudes.   The puzzles are not puzzles, they're just running from point A to point B and flicking a switch or doing some simple physics task. 

Every time I think I have to put some thought into survival, the game does everything for me.  I'm backing out of a cave full of wolves because I know they're in there.  Instead of getting attacked by the wolves and having to defend myself, I get a cut scene where Lara is walking dum-de-dum facing forward out the cave as if nothing was going to happen and then I'm jumped by a wolf and its EPIC MASHING QTE TIME!!!!  Mash A to survive!  Actually it wasn't even that, it was a segmented QTE fight scene that required a couple timed presses.  And before I got to the cave, she was talking about a pack of wolves.  I was going into the fucking wolf den.  I heard them howling and I was a bit nervous...it sounded like a pack as well.  And then there's one dumb wolf there who you take out in a cut scene. 

Even the forest animals you hunt just come running up to you so you can shoot them in the head.  The real mystery of this island is why there are so many dumb animals.  And how this endangered girl got rebar through the gut, didn't patch it or clean it, and survived, going on to make bounding inhuman jumps a minute later.

There's no actual freedom, aside from going up and down on the "technically not a hallway, but feels like it in practice" trajectory of the game.  You can go back and complete fractions for XP to unlock all kinds of skills for a game that isn't even balanced around them.  You don't need extra firepower or anything when you get the jump on every pack of guys and can just stealth kill them with your raw bow.  These are just little conveniences they're gonna trickle out and make this already brainless game easier. 

Not to mention a fucking EXP meter pops up on screen every 10 second to congratulate me on walking 10 steps without getting lost.  And before I turned off button hints, the game reminded me every 5 seconds to use Lara's super power of gold highlight vision, which basically flays open the level design for you, killing any sense of exploration.  I'm purposely not using it just to make this game's navigation half way interesting.  You come to a cool patch of forest, the path is unclear, and you're unsure what's ahead...are you excited or do you hit LB just to make it easier?   The answer depends on whether you're a lazy douche bag that's killing gaming or not. 

The "platforming" requires you to hit the A button at a ledge and thank fucking god for that.  It makes you wonder why they didn't just automate it, since everything else is.  I have yet to find a height that she can't survive from.  I assume she dies when it's obviously too high, but the platforming only puts you high up every once in a while.  Otherwise, failing platforming just means your progress is set back a second.

Tomb Raider just tantalizes with all these promising RPG elements, hints of dangerous survivalist adventure, and beautifully designed set pieces, only to neuter them with brain dead game design that renders everything a challenge-less and meaningless grind. 

They aimed for the largest mainstream demographic and they'll hit it.  This is a game made for reviewers on the big media sites and average bro who might be turned off from the game by the female protagonist, until he sees how much shit she kills.

It'll have its place in my collection and I'll get in the mood to play it at some point, but this is not a good game at all.  It couldn't be more run of the mill.   Tomb Raider: Escape From AAA Island

But yeah fucking awesome game dudes

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:36:30 PM by Don Flamenco »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
Nope, I've played two hours and it's been great.
dog

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
Really, you think you can debate any of that about the gameplay mechanics?   

Sorry about the day 1 purchase, i'm in that situation too, but sometimes you just have to let $30 go free without mindlessly defending what you spent it on  :teehee

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »
Really, you think you can debate any of that about the gameplay mechanics?   

Why should I? Besides, writing up a long post would only take time away from me playing more Tomb Raider.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:56:27 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's a gafquote.
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »
Wat? We are being trolLOLed?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
The game is ass and it's made for distinguished mentally-challenged fellows.  And that's final. 

Rahxephon91

« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
The subtitles suck in this game.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
??? Not sure if serious ???

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
well, as you guys play it, you might see what I mean.  And you might disagree with my negativity, but the game still plays how it plays.   

I do like it better than Uncharted 1 and 2 right now.  I would describe it as Uncharted, but more fleshed out.  Or Uncharted is Tomb Raider without quite as many collectibles. 

All these TPS games just hump the dead corpse of RE4 and wrap it in a layer of mass market focus group.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:00:42 PM by Don Flamenco »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »
Me? Pretty serious. They have are presented in a black box for some reason. Like closed captioned tv. Also like CC they like to tell me the noise people are making.

I turn subtitles on for every game I play. It helps, but I like it when the subtitles are just the old timeless "here's the script in basic font". Simple, takes less space on the screen, and to the point.

Also I'm surprised everyone is surprised by what Don is saying. It's not like its really wrong. But fuck it. I like CoD games. I've already made peace that I like mainstream gaming.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:05:17 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Oh sorry, I meant Don's, not your post. There's no fuckin excuse for not having good subtitles, I worked in localization and believe you me I got up people's sweaty buttholes about that.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »
this game is super fucking buggy. has crashed a handful of times in around 30 minutes of gametime. something with gtx600 cards i guess.
nat

Himu

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2013, 07:27:26 PM »
Me? Pretty serious. They have are presented in a black box for some reason. Like closed captioned tv. Also like CC they like to tell me the noise people are making.

I turn subtitles on for every game I play. It helps, but I like it when the subtitles are just the old timeless "here's the script in basic font". Simple, takes less space on the screen, and to the point.

Also I'm surprised everyone is surprised by what Don is saying. It's not like its really wrong. But fuck it. I like CoD games. I've already made peace that I like mainstream gaming.

CD always does this subs. They suck ass.

Also Don, that does sound a problem but I'm willing to give it a chance. Sucks about the wolf cut scenes though. To me that's like playing mgs and at the part where you encounter the wolf cave you don't have to survive in the dark against fucking wolves. Just watch a boring cut scene.
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »
this game is super fucking buggy. has crashed a handful of times in around 30 minutes of gametime. something with gtx600 cards i guess.

i feel lucky, no problems in 4 hours on my 570.  Everything maxed except TressFX.   which is super ugly btw :lol 

I guess I put it harshly and aspie'd out a bit, I didn't sleep last night, so maybe that's why people are all wtf :lol   But it really is 100% an experience game. 

I kept wanting to do certain things that are in line with a survival mindset, but the game has you on its slightly enlarged rails.   After the almost rape scene, you are running away while some guys are poking around looking for you.  They're all spread apart and it looks like you could stealth them-- she has the pick axe and other weapons.  I also felt like there were some environmental cues hinting at that.   But if you begin to approach where they are, whether you're in anyone's sight or not, a flashlight shines on Lara, an arrow goes through her head and game over. :lol      The environment seems less interactive than it should be.  You should be able to shoot down hanging stuff and mess around with the physics, but its all just there for show. 

Remember, just because you know people, doesnt mean you KNOW. And knowing people in the US Branch isnt something you can use to discredit "rumors". Communication between whats happening internally over at SQE Japan and the US Branch is minimal. If Kagari does in fact have connections, theyre not very informed ones. PR people and low-level community managers dont count as "sources". People on the development side however, do.

Remember, keep this post bookmarked.

Looking forward to playing Final Fantasy X again this Summer...before E3 ; )
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:45:51 PM by Don Flamenco »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »
All I saw was...

But yeah fucking awesome game dudes

:geoff
©@©™

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2013, 07:57:55 PM »
Don is aping GAF posts right, right?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2013, 08:01:10 PM »
I dont care if its his opinion on the game, I'd rather know it wasn't a gafquote so I could think "oh, ok" and move on and play Tomb Raider
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2013, 08:04:25 PM »
I dunno, but if he's trolling, he's going to get PLONKed pretty soon.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2013, 08:24:31 PM »
I can definitely feel where Don is coming from.

Related anecdote from last night - As some of you may know, I 100%'ed Lego Batman 2 with my daughter, who was 4 when we started and 5 now. She is jonesing for more Batman, and we already did the first Lego Batman so I showed her a bit of Arkham Asylum. She wasn't scared so we continued. Note - I asked her if she wanted to choose Easy at the start but she HISSED at me :lol That's my girl

Anyway, I figure she'll tap out in 15 mins or so after the cutscenes and tutorial bits but she is liking it and continues. Long story short - 2 hrs later she had done the whole first level, including the mini-boss. We left it outside the Asylum.

My point? IT'S A FUCKING JOKE OF A GAME once you strip away the packaging and the 'experience'. She was literally doing nothing she hadn't already done 1000x in Lego Batman. Mashing X with some counters, using the Batline to climb up buildings...easy peasy. There is almost no 'game' there for experienced players. Granted this is still basically the tutorial but these days the tutorial is about 1/8th of most games....
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
Should also note that the 'puzzles' in Lego Batman are far more sophisticated than anything we've seen in Arkham so far.

Not everything should be Ninja Gaiden but that plus playing some old-school Quake last night really made me think about how pussified and dull AAA games have become in terms of gameplay
vjj

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2013, 08:29:36 PM »
yeah im replaying it right now, and after playing through city its AMAZING how slow this game progresses. you dont even get to the real sneaking rooms and "big" fights til 3/4 of the way through the game, and even then its mostly pretty easy. no confusing puzzles, mostly 3- or 4- on one fights, very linear progression, straightforward boss fights, etc. still a great game, but it blew me away how i didnt remember it as this simple at all.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
Should also note that the 'puzzles' in Lego Batman are far more sophisticated than anything we've seen in Arkham so far.

Not everything should be Ninja Gaiden but that plus playing some old-school Quake last night really made me think about how pussified and dull AAA games have become in terms of gameplay

making the player die in two or three nearly-unavoidable hits is the new "challenge"
pcp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
yeah im replaying it right now, and after playing through city its AMAZING how slow this game progresses. you dont even get to the real sneaking rooms and "big" fights til 3/4 of the way through the game, and even then its mostly pretty easy. no confusing puzzles, mostly 3- or 4- on one fights, very linear progression, straightforward boss fights, etc. still a great game, but it blew me away how i didnt remember it as this simple at all.

let me stress again: SHE IS FIVE YEARS OLD. She can barely hold the 360 controller. I love the game but it's a joke.

I think a lot of what I'm complaining about could be fixed if games just took away the training wheels at some point. Oops, the Bat-computer is offline, cowl is busted, can't reach Oracle fuck me no magic X-ray vision, guards on high alert...might actually need to use some strategy and skill.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
DESTROYER OF BATMANS

vjj

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »

i feel lucky, no problems in 4 hours on my 570.  Everything maxed except TressFX.   which is super ugly btw :lol 

I've been thinking about that. There's a part in the beginning where Lara watches a video from the boat and in the video she doesnt have the TRESSFX going on regardless if the feature is enabled or not. I started thinking "doesn't this kinda look just as weird as the tressfx stuff?"

i mean we've been conditioned to look at super blocky hair as normal when it looks fucking weird. the TRESSFX stuff is odd but only because it's different. it's definitely the first real implementation of that tech in an actual game so it's not perfect but at times it looks really cool and others not so much.

Now, the game. Only about an hour or so in. I like the tone early on. You get a sense of not knowing whats going on but not in a BAD way. I also like that they are ATTEMPTING to make Lara a vulnerable main character. it's not 100% but I appreciate the effort.

nat

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »
Cormac, if a player gets stuck, they might give up on the game and trade it in at Gamestop.  They certainly won't buy any add-on DLC!  :wag

Point

But in this age of 100% youtube walkthroughs and such, it boggles the mind that someone could get stuck for long on anything that isn't skill-based.

I had to try REALLY REALLY hard not to look at walkthroughs when playing Antichamber recently, I mean REALLY hard. It's only an Alt-Tab away
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2013, 08:44:14 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »
i do hope you are all averting your eyes from my wife's underwear drying on the radiator in the background
vjj

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »
It's like I just bought them from the vending machine
fat

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:36 PM »
you can't afford these whips demi
vjj

FatalT

« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »
I got it from Red Box and it's actually pretty fun. It really is Uncharted-ish. PROTECTIN LARA AND HEAD SHOTTIN FOOS!

Himu

« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »
I don't mind 'experiemce' games. Not every has to be ninja gaiden. There are good 'experience ' games (Uncharted 2) and bad ones (Shenmue...wait).
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »

I don't mind 'experiemce' games. Not every has to be ninja gaiden. There are good 'experience ' games (Uncharted 2) and bad ones (Shenmue...wait).

great minds
vjj

Himu

« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »

True, but it seems these days the mantra isn't "not everything has to be ninja gaiden" so much as it's "NOTHING MUST BE NINJA GAIDEN".
Very on point. I just never expected Tomb Raider to be anything less than an experience game
 All the marketing told us such so I don't know what Don was expecting.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »

great minds

:lol I didn't read your post. I just replied after reading Don's discussion.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »
I'm kinda disappointed there isnt many deaths to this game. A lot are recycled. Still, they are kinda nasty for what they are.

fat

Himu

« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »
Well I haven't played it so I can't judge but it isn't like modern Tomb Raider hasn't tried going in this direction before - albeit in a smaller way. This game looks like the sane thing to me but with an S-E budget and more Hollywood.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »
The game is fun. There is no doubt about it. And if you really were into Tomb Raider before this, I could understand someone hating this game. It has very little of what those people liked in the series from what I've played so far. (Maybe there will be more elements as I go on as it is early) It obviously takes it cues from Uncharted. It might as well not even be called "Tomb Raider" outside of the branding/marketing aspect.

The combat is fun enough. It keeps its pacing well where it isn't just combat sequence after combat sequence and even the combat sequences are more varied than say uncharted where in that game they are just straight shoot outs and the stealth sections are terrible. Here the stealth stuff is fun to break up the straight combat. The AI is a bit dopey but whatever.

I think the collecting is a little over-board. And I think they probably added in some elements just to add them even though they necessarily don't belong (Hunting for example). But the game is enjoyable. I probably wish I had more freedom along the lines of Far Cry 3 compared to what is presented here but hey, I could say that about a lot of games. If you don't like modern hollywood style gaming you will not like this. It's pretty simple. If you like sort of well crafted versions of that discipline, then you will like this.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:15:50 PM by Stoney Mason »

Himu

« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2013, 11:14:07 PM »
Yeah I was never a huge Tomb Raider fan so I'm excited. :yeshrug
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2013, 01:02:41 AM »
If I was going to compare it to movies, you've got James Bond, with a history of actors and personalities, but a consistent core for what Bond offers, no matter the style in which it's offered.

This TR is the Daniel Craig Casino Royale of the franchise. It had to be rebooted, but no-one wants to lose the character's core.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2013, 04:35:24 AM »
Jesus this game is awesome! When I play tested on the 360 version I was disappointed cause it was lacking detail and the controls were a mess. Now just 5 months later I'm playing it on ultra settings and its amazing. Love the hunting and survival stuff thus far.

Heads up for those that care, there will be two pop up stores in SF and NYC that will be open for two weeks. They will sell exclusive items and one of a kind art. As well there will be special guests. I was told by the community manager that Camilla Luddington will be at the SF store sometime in the next week. I'm going if not for tomb raider but for grays anatomy gossip.

huckleberry

« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2013, 07:51:30 AM »
wtf is this shit?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519693

Seeing as I am a little slow, does this mean if I buy TR digitally from PSN then my kids can't play the game?
wub

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2013, 08:16:01 AM »
Remember, just because you know people, doesnt mean you KNOW. And knowing people in the US Branch isnt something you can use to discredit "rumors". Communication between whats happening internally over at SQE Japan and the US Branch is minimal. If Kagari does in fact have connections, theyre not very informed ones. PR people and low-level community managers dont count as "sources". People on the development side however, do.

Even being on the development side doesn't guarantee you know what you're talking about. There are widespread false rumors inside of development organizations as well as outside of them (along with the fun phenomenon where a rumor reported in the press gets picked up and believed inside the organization the rumor is about).
QED

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2013, 08:31:56 AM »
wtf is this shit?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519693

Seeing as I am a little slow, does this mean if I buy TR digitally from PSN then my kids can't play the game?

It means you have to sign in to PSN every time you play. No PSN = no play.
fat

huckleberry

« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2013, 08:40:10 AM »
I get the part about having to sign in to PSN.

It's where it states "Content may not be used by any other account" that is confusing.  I have three other accounts on my PS3 - one for my wife and one for each of my kids. Does this mean they can't play the game because I purchased it with my account?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:44:25 AM by Arde0 »
wub