Author Topic: Uncharted 4: Tomb Raider  (Read 30112 times)

Wrath2X

Uncharted 4: Tomb Raider
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:29:47 AM »
Mostly great reviews so far plus with Eidos being on a hell of a run makes me want to play this. I keep hearing that the puzzles are both easier and less than what the series is usually known for. I liked the past few games from the last reboot so I hope this game is at least as good as those.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Uncharted 4: Tomb Raider
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:31:13 AM »
I'm ready for it.
dog

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 01:49:47 AM »
I have liked everything Eidos has done lately so I'll probably gank this on sale on PC or borrow a console version from a friend

Hmmm Hitman was a bit rubbish though wunnit

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
From Eurogamer:
So goodbye, old Lara. Your time is up. Hello, new Lara. If you can stop hacking people to death for five minutes, we'll get along fine.
If I had a nickel for every girl I had to tell that...

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:04:35 AM »
Never played a Tomb Raider game. Wonder how puzzlely this is. I don't think I will care about the story and gameplay problems.

cool breeze

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 03:25:24 AM »
PC version (possibly AMD GPUs only) gets a shampoo graphics option

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 04:13:06 AM »
It's a DX11 effect so it should be available on all cards
itm

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »
If the reviews are right, I am absolutely delighted to be eating crow on this one.

I was mortified to see this going the way of Uncharted... I love Uncharted's platforming manoeuvres and animation, but I can't stand the fighting in it... I think its repetitive. Because there DOES look to be a lot of silly combat, I'm still sort of apprehensive about this, but some of the reviews praise the puzzling, the storytelling and the whole package so much that I can't help but be interested again. I loved the TR franchise before the change, so I'm gonna give this a go!

This kinda rescues March for me, given Aliens: CM turned out shit
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:49:09 AM by radioheadrule83 »

Powerslave

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 07:26:15 AM »
From what I've seen so far, this looks nothing more than a cross between Uncharted and Tomb Raider Legend. Both of which are awfully mediocre games that I only would play if I were close to dying from boredom.
Until the series goes back to it's roots of isolation and exploration, with minimal focus on combat and little to no interuptive cutscenes, and a more manual approach on gameplay.... it's not Tomb Raider and doesn't deserve to be successful or held in high regard.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:20:52 AM »
From what I've seen so far, this looks nothing more than a cross between Uncharted and Tomb Raider Legend. Both of which are awfully mediocre games that I only would play if I were close to dying from boredom.
Until the series goes back to it's roots of isolation and exploration, with minimal focus on combat and little to no interuptive cutscenes, and a more manual approach on gameplay.... it's not Tomb Raider and doesn't deserve to be successful or held in high regard.

I'd take these visuals married to a heavy exploratory / puzzle based setup any day. As I say, its the combat stuff that looks horrible to me. Its starting to seem cheap to me in games now where they just have you mow through henchmen in different scenarios. No amount of CQC punch ups or wall-cover makes it fun for me.

Powerslave

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »
How can you love Uncharted's platforming elements? It's so automatic and magnetic. Just like the PS2 Tomb Raiders. I see climbing and jumping from ledge to ledge as a chore. There's no real challenge or complete control. That's what made the real Tomb Raiders so good. You were completely in charge of every move you do and being in control and working your way through the levels by lining up jumps and making sure you hold on to ledges was one of the key factors what made Tomb Raider the game it is. I dislike every game that minimalizes or automatizes basic gameplay elements.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »
How can you love Uncharted's platforming elements? It's so automatic and magnetic. Just like the PS2 Tomb Raiders. I see climbing and jumping from ledge to ledge as a chore. There's no real challenge or complete control. That's what made the real Tomb Raiders so good. You were completely in charge of every move you do and being in control and working your way through the levels by lining up jumps and making sure you hold on to ledges was one of the key factors what made Tomb Raider the game it is. I dislike every game that minimalizes or automatizes basic gameplay elements.

I kind of get what you mean, I think they went too far with the procedural animation stuff, making it 'look' organic, rather than actually designing lots of fun platforming -- but it did look amazing, the mechanics felt sound to me, and there were one or two moments in the first two Uncharted games that certainly had potential and were fun (to me) while they lasted. I'd be okay with that kind of look and feel if the levels I traversed, and the monuments I scaled, were significant enough... if there were more leaps from precipitous vantage points and the skill/timing required was more tight. Uncharted has some great moneyshots in the form of vistas when you reach certain parts of some stages -- and I'm not against that. I guess what I mean is that I wish ND had spent more time on all of that kind of stuff rather than the gunplay.

My favourite feeling in the old TR games was going into a tomb and finding some broken relic that I had to fix in order to advance, or entering somewhere that was so untouched and abandoned that you wouldn't really know what wild animals or shocks you would find inside. I enjoyed getting the feel of a cohesive whole as I go from one area to the next, many rooms and many puzzles around a theme that required you to know something beforehand. Like the Greek storytelling puzzles in TR1 -- ATLAS, Haphaestus, Damocles etc. Those were easier if you knew something about the stories. Likewise with the statue of Midas. There were a few central villains to dispatch - not an island with an army of them.

If the discoveries and puzzles you can find on this new island are similarly intelligent, then the game may win me over... but I'm not a fan of the tonal shift yet, or the hollywood action movie bombast they've amped up. I don't particularly want Rambo Lara. The only reason I am tentatively excited about the reviews is -- can this many people be wrong?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:32:53 AM by radioheadrule83 »

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
I thought I didn't like the Uncharted automated shit, but I just tried the Underworld demo and misinterpreting where they want you to jump makes you redo the last 10 minutes of climbing, so fuck that

archie4208

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
oh goddamnit, knew i shoulda gotten a amd card :greenshinobi

this looks okay.   would bet my left nut that I'll still like TR1+2 better.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
Oh man, the part where he kept getting Lara killed. :rofl
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »

HOLY SHIT that death scene
fat

Himu

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
:o
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:11 PM »
FUCK 

welp they topped the drowning animation from the original games :lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »
They fuckin animated her grasping to take it out, my god, lmao.

Cant wait for the youtube of all the deaths.
fat

Himu

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »
RE4 deaths :rock
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 02:38:53 PM »
Nice.  Looks like another good TR game to add to the pile.  Series has been pretty damn consistently solid since they rebooted it with Anniversary & Legends.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »

M-rated Tomb Raider, suck it Uncharted. :bow2
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
that conan video is amazing.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 03:27:42 PM »

:bow :bow2

I thought I didn't like the Uncharted automated shit, but I just tried the Underworld demo and misinterpreting where they want you to jump makes you redo the last 10 minutes of climbing, so fuck that

Underworld was pretty shitty in design and I never finished it. Legends was great.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:29:19 PM by Premium Lager »

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
I did enjoy Legends.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
Conan had this game's number in the first 5 seconds of the video :lol   

*dap* 

people should go back to TR1, spend a minute getting used to it, and play about an hour.   It's instantly clear what's missing from the modern TR and really, a lot of modern games.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
Conan had this game's number in the first 5 seconds of the video :lol   

"Oh, so we actually get to see her? Very smart move, Square-Enix!"
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
I really, really want to get this game. Argh.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
Some people have it early on x360a, some achievement info:

- Majority of the single player chievements are all collectable and "completionist" -- hardly any actual story ones

- Many online achievements
-- However, it turns out this can be boosted solo, which is great
--- However, one requires you to hit Level 60, but you can do this solo
---- However however, one requires that you have to prestige 3 times (that's 60 x 3) to unlock a character required for an achievement (buy everything?)

In conclusion, whoever designed the achievements is a piece of shit.
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
If I get it, PS3 it is then. Who cares about trophies!

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »
That Conan video is amazing
___

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 02:59:30 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

that shit makes no fucking sense  :lol

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 07:16:54 AM »

:lol first time seeing this, I wonder what else there is? I love the way its impaled her head (and brain) and she's still consciously trying to claw at it

Maybe the animation team spent half of their development time watching decapitation vids on ogrish or liveleak, and you can cut someone's head off while watching the life fade from their involuntarily moving body  :hyper
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:20:57 AM by radioheadrule83 »

Himu

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »

:lol first time seeing this, I wonder what else there is? I love the way its impaled her head (and brain) and she's still consciously trying to claw at it

Maybe the animation team spent half of their development time watching decapitation vids on ogrish or liveleak, and you can cut someone's head off while watching the life fade from their involuntarily moving body  :hyper

The game has resident evil 5 deaths. They said as much when the game was revealed. So expect gruesome and awesome gsme over screens.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Does Lara get ravished by ruffians on a game over?

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »

I loved how no matter where you fuck up in that sequence, there's just a random pole waiting to stick in her neck :lol 

The game has resident evil 5 deaths. They said as much when the game was revealed. So expect gruesome and awesome gsme over screens.

you mean RE4?   RE5 had the camera angles that implied gore, but never showed it like RE4.

Himu

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »

I loved how no matter where you fuck up in that sequence, there's just a random pole waiting to stick in her neck :lol 

you mean RE4?   RE5 had the camera angles that implied gore, but never showed it like RE4.

Yes, RE4. Sorry was on phone.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »
your phone makes you mis-remember good games for bad games?
nat

Himu

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »
4 is next to the number 5.
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »
Drunk

Beezy

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 01:17:54 AM »
Fell out of my chair laughing at that Conan video. :lol :lol :lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 02:26:59 AM »
Fell out of my chair laughing at that Conan video. :lol :lol :lol

impaling your neck on the broken chair leg no doubt
vjj

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »
Just picked this up, I'll post impressions later tonight.

An announcement for an announcement, so this gen Wrath  :-*

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »
- The deaths are fucking brutal. And this is me talking. I don't know if its just how Lara is portrayed or how good the graphics are but I've gone "WHAT THE FUCK" at the ones I've encountered. They really motivate me to not die cause I'd rather not see those over and over again.

:-\
©ZH

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »
- Why the fuck is there no lock on? The combats main problem is no lock on. While the game seems like it would rather you sneak by than go all out, no lock on really bothers me and can get annoying when you are surrounded by wolves.

So... more combat than before, and less intuitive combat at that?

Rest of your impressions sound 'promising', as you say..

jiji

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »
- So many QTE's, so many.

I don't understand. Do people like playing QTEs, or are they just used as a shortcut to make contained, linear, cinematic sequences feel more interactive?
OTL

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:48 PM »
Both, I love QTEs
fat

Beezy

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 12:33:42 PM »
RE4 death scenes annihilated

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »
Faces of Lara
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 01:46:42 PM »
- So many QTE's, so many.

I don't understand. Do people like playing QTEs, or are they just used as a shortcut to make contained, linear, cinematic sequences feel more interactive?

It depends. I love RE4 qte's and Shenmue qte's. That's about it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »
Damn, I may have to get this earlier than I wanted to. :o Comparing it to RE4. You fuck.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
Nothing touches RE4's level.

However, something similar...  :larry
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 03:53:16 PM »
How is the stealth? Is that the main thing? Can you not do stealth? Is it hard? I hate stealth.

Himu

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 03:54:02 PM »
is the level design linear or is there a mix of linearity and wide open areas ala RE4
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
:gladbron
IYKYK

Powerslave

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »

My favourite feeling in the old TR games was going into a tomb and finding some broken relic that I had to fix in order to advance, or entering somewhere that was so untouched and abandoned that you wouldn't really know what wild animals or shocks you would find inside. I enjoyed getting the feel of a cohesive whole as I go from one area to the next, many rooms and many puzzles around a theme that required you to know something beforehand. Like the Greek storytelling puzzles in TR1 -- ATLAS, Haphaestus, Damocles etc. Those were easier if you knew something about the stories. Likewise with the statue of Midas. There were a few central villains to dispatch - not an island with an army of them.

If the discoveries and puzzles you can find on this new island are similarly intelligent, then the game may win me over... but I'm not a fan of the tonal shift yet, or the hollywood action movie bombast they've amped up. I don't particularly want Rambo Lara. The only reason I am tentatively excited about the reviews is -- can this many people be wrong?

Wasn't that so awesome about TR? The levels started and you were instantly in the zone. No introductive cut scenes or anything.

They are unable to make games like this anymore. The whole industry has become too self-aware and games don't feel like they were developed in a naturally flowing pattern. To me, Tomb Raider was designed fully around the idea of certain game concepts the developer had. It was designed around his vision of what would constitute a great game to play. Nowadays, the overwhelming majority of the games seem to be made with the plain urge to simply make a game, any game. It's like their thought process are along the lines of 'fuck I need to make a game, let me try to come up with something' instead of having the need to create something to channel their imagination.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »

Wasn't that so awesome about TR? The levels started and you were instantly in the zone. No introductive cut scenes or anything.

They are unable to make games like this anymore. The whole industry has become too self-aware and games don't feel like they were developed in a naturally flowing pattern. To me, Tomb Raider was designed fully around the idea of certain game concepts the developer had. It was designed around his vision of what would constitute a great game to play. Nowadays, the overwhelming majority of the games seem to be made with the plain urge to simply make a game, any game. It's like their thought process are along the lines of 'fuck I need to make a game, let me try to come up with something' instead of having the need to create something to channel their imagination.
:bow
vin

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
My copy is being shipped from America. Probably have it in a week. Maybe.  :-\