Author Topic: Anybody else going through major changes in their life?  (Read 9342 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Anybody else going through major changes in their life?
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
One of the strange things about where I was, was that the after work drinks thing didn't happen. I had thought every Japanese company was indulging in that pastime, but as it turns out mine did not. My company had an End of Year party, welcome new employees party, and end of project party. It was about three time a year we'd see each other outside the office; the rest of the year was 12 hour days or worse.

In the 7 months I worked in US dev last year, we went out 4 or 5 times, and it was always fun, and initiated by the coworkers. I made several new friends, and felt like I could breathe again.

As for language, I'm able to converse pretty handily, though its nowhere near native, or even casual fluency. Even so, I don't feel it's the primary cause preventing intimacy. The likely cause there is a fundamental discrepancy in value systems.

One of the schools I worked at held enkais pretty regularly.  They always invited me, even after I quit going (I don't drink, so it was just awkward).  I was even invited to go to some hot springs resort for a day or two, for the low LOW price of only 80,000 yen, which I politely declined.   But another school never invited me- when I first got there I invited myself along and it was even more awkward.  Turns out that this school had a little clique going and only the people in that group went to the enkais.  I don't know what happened after most of them were transferred the following school year.

One time after an enkai, I was asked to go to a snack bar with some other male teachers.  When I declined another teacher got in my face and asked me if I was gay.  That was the first and only time he ever said anything to me.   :lol  Other teachers grabbed him and took him away, while the English teachers were all "no, no!  He has a girlfriend!"  I told the guy "yeah, I don't need to go to a loser bar to pay women to talk to me," which got laughs out of the English speakers and seemed to really piss the guy off (he was totally smashed).  I think that was the last enkai I went to.   :lol

My current job has official events and unofficial going away parties for people, but I never go.  I'm an introvert and also tend to not give a shit about any of the people leaving.   :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:02:13 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »
I'm a fairly introverted person (in the sense that I do go out but it's not something I can do every day because I'll get too fatigued), but am at the position in my life when lots of my friends are moving on - marriage, children, moving out of town. We do get together every month or two, but I don't really have many opportunities to meet new people, and it takes me a bit of time before I warm up to someone anyways.

So I figure, the job situation for me may be a blessing in disguise. A chance to meet new people or even possibly move to a new area where I'll be forced to.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2013, 01:18:16 PM »
I barely see my friends anymore either.  Especially the ones with kids.  I do notice that some people can manage having kids much better than others.  One my friends has decided that the best thing to do is switch on and off taking care of his two sons every other hour with his wife, so he pretty much never goes out anywhere.  When I suggested that maybe once in a while he takes care of the kids for half a day and his wife takes care of them in the evening (and vice versa), I was told I "just don't know what it's like."  Yet other people I know do just that- or get a babysitter.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:19:53 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »
My wife and I value our friends too much to stop seeing them just because we had a kid. I don't understand the whole "Have a kid, become a paranoid/judgmental hermit" mentality.

So I figure, the job situation for me may be a blessing in disguise. A chance to meet new people or even possibly move to a new area where I'll be forced to.

Move to Seattle. Even though half of Seattle Bore has kids, we'd hang out with you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:25:22 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »
Mr. Gundam, you need to change your name to "Mr. Seattle."    :P

Doesn't Seattle have a lot of rainy/dreary weather?

I want to move somewhere where it's warm all the time.
ど助平

« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2013, 01:31:55 PM »
Mr. Gundam, you need to change your name to "Mr. Seattle."    :P

Doesn't Seattle have a lot of rainy/dreary weather?

I want to move somewhere where it's warm all the time.

It's gray and drizzly 9 months out of the year with temps in the 40s-50s. Then summer arrives and it's absolutely beautiful.

The PNW definitely isn't for everyone, especially if you're susceptible to Seasonal Affective Disorder.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:33:43 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »
My wife and I value our friends too much to stop seeing them just because we had a kid. I don't understand the whole "Have a kid, become a paranoid/judgmental hermit" mentality.

Move to Seattle. Even though half of Seattle Bore has kids, we'd hang out with you.

Honestly, I've been to Seattle once (back in 2007) and really liked it. It was during an unusually dry period though so I didn't bear witness to the infamous rain. I do have a bit of SAD due to 4 years living in Buffalo. But Seattle seemed especially good for outdoorsy types, lots of opportunities to mountainbike (something I love) and kayak (something I've always wanted to get into). It's probably just behind the DC metro as an area I'd relocate to if I ever wanted to get out of NY.

Are you familiar with the "Seattle freeze"? Remember reading an article about that a while ago and was wondering if there was any truth to it.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »

Yeah.  Dude acts like his entire social life is over.  He also whines that he never has time to play video games anymore.  Meanwhile other people I know with kids are hanging out with friends and finishing up plenty of games.
ど助平

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »
Well for now on I'm pulling the trigger. That's my life changer.

glad u learned for next time bro, try having a good female friend whose a lesbo thats the "brick wall" of "if onlys"  :-[
USA

« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

Honestly, I've been to Seattle once (back in 2007) and really liked it. It was during an unusually dry period though so I didn't bear witness to the infamous rain. I do have a bit of SAD due to 4 years living in Buffalo. But Seattle seemed especially good for outdoorsy types, lots of opportunities to mountainbike (something I love) and kayak (something I've always wanted to get into). It's probably just behind the DC metro as an area I'd relocate to if I ever wanted to get out of NY.

It's a great place if you're into the outdoors. We've got the ocean, mountains, high desert, temperate rain forest, etc.

Are you familiar with the "Seattle freeze"? Remember reading an article about that a while ago and was wondering if there was any truth to it.

I'm a born and raised native and never had to deal with trying to make a new group of friends, but it is very real. I've heard that it's even worse up North in Vancouver.

Yeah.  Dude acts like his entire social life is over.  He also whines that he never has time to play video games anymore.  Meanwhile other people I know with kids are hanging out with friends and finishing up plenty of games.

I definitely don't game as much as I used to, but I still get at least 4-5 hours a week. We can't go out as much as we used to, but we still find time to be normal adults who do stuff.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
Seattle has better weather then Dublin.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2013, 12:37:09 AM »
Seattle has better weather then Dublin.

Doesn't everywhere?
itm

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2013, 12:40:59 AM »
well currently I'm trying to get my sorry ass off welfare and kick-start my career as a contractor/freelancer. It aint easy but I'm getting good leads and a few projects lined up, hopefully I can kick the welfare soon.

Been a bit up and down with self esteem and motivation levels though, hard to keep going sometimes. But today is a great day and I'm getting heaps done! And I'm thankful for that I think.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2013, 12:45:49 AM »
I couldn't handle the PNW. I already get sad in November-January here in Los Angeles.

PNW rules despite the weather. So much shit to see and do and for cheap too.

« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2013, 01:08:34 AM »
We earn our summers up here. August is fucking epic in Seattle.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2013, 02:55:51 AM »
spring has been shit so far in Tokyo - horrible sandy dust storms choking the whole city. Got some peoples coming from Ireland at the end of the month for hanami and I think they're just gonna see yellow shit everywhere :gloomy
vjj

« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »
Good thing we decided on April 2014 instead of 2013 to visit.
野球

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »
spring has been shit so far in Tokyo - horrible sandy dust storms choking the whole city. Got some peoples coming from Ireland at the end of the month for hanami and I think they're just gonna see yellow shit everywhere :gloomy
thatsracist.gif
vin

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
 :lol
pcp

Rman

« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »

That's a great commitment to have.  I too have succumbed to the barely see friends anymore category.  I'm usually the initiator as well, but they're always busy with their own families and I don't mind it as it is understandable.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #200 on: March 29, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »
R-Man is back :-*
vin