Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 166855 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2013, 12:30:41 AM »
Oscar, I largely agree, and you're right 100% that Family Mart wouldn't carry anything intentionally sketchy. But that's... I dunno, it's pretty lurid.

:uguu

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2013, 04:03:32 AM »
I guess... honestly, I probably would have thought, "Hatsune Miku... ew. This droid is everywhere." But if the guy from American Pie had been standing nearby, leering, I might have made the connection.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 03:09:20 AM »
Second man-date of my trip done, looking forward to another one tomorrow :hyper
地平線

Fifstar

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2013, 07:01:17 AM »
The form of the pastry okay, people can imagine a lot of stuff (although this looks really close). But how he pops the pastry with his finger and then the slimy looking white stuff inside comes out? I dunno, maybe it wasn't officially supposed to be that way by the company, but at least it looks like the food designer tried to make it look similar to a vulva.
Gulp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 08:40:21 AM »
Eclairs? You mean those custard-filled BBC stand-ins?

nudemacusers

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »
If you had just seen it on the shelf in the store, would you have thought anything about it?  I've seen tons of pastries with that shape before.
it's the combo of anime girl + vaguely lady part shape + dirty western assumptions about japan.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »
Then there was the time Kamen Rider fought Starfishitler

Tonya

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »
 :mindblown
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
sounds like a band name + Album title....

"New on Reprise... it's Vocaliod Cunt Pastry's wtf Japancry"
Hah, VCP is totally Sphinctersoft's house band like how Cold Storage did tracks for Wipeout. 8)
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2013, 02:11:48 AM »
Then there was the time Kamen Rider fought Starfishitler

"THIS VIDEO CONTAINS MATERIAL FROM TOEI, WHO HAS BLOCKED IT IN YOUR COUNTRY ON COPYRIGHT GROUNDS."
:japancry

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2013, 08:02:21 AM »
kamen rider x was really weird it seems

http://www.kamen-rider.com/database/1974_x/vi-villain.htm
Tonya

T-Short

• hooker strangler
The Japan Thread
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2013, 11:07:15 AM »
Third man-date done! ch1nchilla and Groo are gentlemen and scholars.
地平線

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
I tried to meet you but your Scottish doppelgänger turned up instead ...  ;)
O=X

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2013, 08:16:24 PM »
:pimp:
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2013, 11:13:49 PM »
Let me know if you roll down to Kansai, Hyoushi.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
The Japan Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2013, 12:34:03 AM »
Looking unlikely for this time, I've bought more stuff than I expected :'-(
地平線

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2013, 06:37:42 AM »
So I guess the Bore's official bar is hidden away in Asakusa?

地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2013, 05:06:34 AM »
:lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2013, 07:13:03 AM »
Bibishi? I don't get it.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
i'll tell you when you're older!
地平線

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »
 :beli

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2013, 09:21:58 PM »
BBC
vjj

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »
Cormacaroni has mentioned this before, but it bears repeating:

What's with this horsecrap of going to a busy coffee place where you line up to order, but FIRST LET'S MARK THIS TABLE AS MINE, BY LEAVING MY BAG THERE.

Oh, honey, didn't you see that there are a dozen people in line already ahead of you? And they're ordering and receiving their food ahead of you? But you think you deserve to have the seat because... why? Because you thought to leave something of yours there, and they didn't?

THINK AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKER.  :maf :maf :maf

Does this happen in the USA and, if so, do people lose their bags when they try it?

G The Resurrected

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »
I see that happen all the time at the starbucks/peets/panara bread places here in the states. People think that by leaving something of theirs there that it automatically holds a spot for them to come back to. I typically will move their shit out of the way if I see it on a seat that they aren't currently sitting at. The seats are for patrons to use and enjoy their drinks or whatever. The only one's I won't move their shit is the apple guys they can get you banned from a place pretty quickly especially if they are  there daily. I've been banned from a peets cause I did move their stuff out of the way, next time I came back they told me I wasn't allowed to do that again. To which I gave some lip and they told me to leave. It's not right thats for sure, but in Japan coffee houses are more popular than bar's now. So It doesn't surprise me that there would be some drama around potential seat takers. For me it comes down to common courtesy, if you're nice I'll leave your shit alone and if you're not I'll move that shit.

I was wondering if there is a good digital store to buy japanese magazines. Itunes book store doesn't have much, and I just want to stop buying all of these huge ass monthly manga magazines. They are taking over our secondary bedroom.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
No idea on how to buy J-mags digitally. I imagine you might have a chance with a Japanese iTunes account, or a Japanese Kindle, but I've got NO IDEA how many of the publishers are actually trying digital. It wouldn't surprise me if they've just given it a kick down the field until they can't ignore it any longer. Which, really, should have been five years ago.

PEET'S: Wait, what? The Peet's banned you for moving some Apple employees stuff, which they'd left at a table to hold their place? How the hell does that work?

SEATS: I don't have any trouble if someone's come with a group, and a couple of them sit down at a table while another gets in line and orders drinks.

My wife tells me that's inconsistent with my anger over leaving a handbag on a chair, but I've never been able to split the hairs fine enough to determine why she thinks so.

Using kids to secure a table is also OK with me. Hell, I do that. It's just a variant on the "group" rules. I can't imagine anyone going up to a kid and saying "Go tell your parents I said to 'fuck off and wait their turn in line.'"

But people who come alone and just drop their stuff, it really bothers me. And it bothers me when two people come in, drop their stuff, and then get in line together. I'm pretty sure that's where my disconnect is.

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2013, 11:20:55 PM »
I don't see this in Seattle, but I tend to frequent neighborhood shops where everybody knows everybody. I also never sit at the shop.

So yeah, I'm sure it happens.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »
In the world of Mr Seattle, there is no discord, all is beauty, love, sharing and hugs
vjj

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »
Does this happen in the USA and, if so, do people lose their bags when they try it?

happens all the time in the UK - huge queue , just go get a table and drop a bag and a kid off so even though you are 75th in line, everyone else gets to suck it.

lol - not quite the same, but when i lived in Chelmsford queue jumping for taxis by arseholes happened a lot. One night i was out with my gf, some guy waltzed to the front of a long taxi queue with his girlfriend and, fair play, announced he was getting in the next cab and if anyone had the balls to stop him they should step up.....

I was still laughing when the ambulance arrived. Got the utter shit kicked out of him and to the sound of an entire queue clapping.
O=X

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2013, 01:31:44 AM »

In the world of Mr Seattle, there is no discord, all is beauty, love, sharing and hugs

...And "to-go" coffees.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
The Japan Thread
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2013, 05:34:38 AM »
Alright, wrapping this trip up, flying home tomorrow morning. Been a great one, met up with good peoples, had great food and did great shopping! Next time I promise I'll come to Kansai!
地平線

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2013, 07:08:16 AM »
BBC
I'm an idiot. :dwill

German tourists are known for doing this at hotel pools. Get up early, put your towel on a deck chair, go back to sleep.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:10:25 AM by Rufus »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »
Alright, wrapping this trip up, flying home tomorrow morning. Been a great one, met up with good peoples, had great food and did great shopping! Next time I promise I'll come to Kansai!

:bow

hope you come back soon Scottie!
vjj

« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »

...And "to-go" coffees.

People here are so non-confrontational and passive/aggressive that I'm sure that it happens and nothing is done about it. :lol
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:05:20 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
That also describes Japan, and explains everything.

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
Midwestern transplants always complain about the PNW Freeze and how it's impossible to make friends. Us native PNWers are aloof, already have friends and generally don't like to acknowledge others while walking down the street.

So yeah. They are pretty similar. :lol
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2013, 11:24:29 PM »
Dave Lee Roth is living in Tokyo now  :whoo

vjj

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2013, 08:22:42 AM »
wut
ど助平

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »
This dude Cormacaroni, TABAKO-MAN!!!!

:pimp
地平線

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2013, 05:51:31 PM »
Some moar pics. All shot with my RX100.

地平線

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »
It's a nice little camera, I'm still learning to use it though
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2013, 09:49:58 PM »
Yeah, those are fantastic! The cherry blossom and Sky Tree shot is for-sale worthy.

Did you drink snake liquor at the sake booth?

T-Short

• hooker strangler
The Japan Thread
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »
Yeah, those are fantastic! The cherry blossom and Sky Tree shot is for-sale worthy.

Naw, I just had a beer.
地平線

Fifstar

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2013, 06:08:50 AM »
 :bow Those Pics :bow2

Especially the shot in the canal and the food stand sake booth.
Gulp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2013, 06:15:07 AM »

I had whiskey, which was quite funny. I asked what kinds they had and he said 日本の中流. I said, 'In that case I'll have a beer...' (meaning for Hyoushi) and the guy busted out laughing '...and a whiskey'
vjj

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2013, 08:36:22 AM »
:bow Those Pics :bow2

Especially the shot in the canal and the food stand sake booth.

Thanks! Reasonably happy with most of those. These two are OK too

地平線

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »
Great pics!
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2013, 10:24:01 AM »
Here's another thing that is unique to Japan: motorcycle gangs. These are not the motorcycle gangs you are thinking of if you are thinking about Hells Angels. These are games of hooligans who ride various kinds of motorcycles and scooters which have been modified to make as much noise as possible. Some of them have toylike ferrings added to them as well. These shitheads wait until about 11PM, 12 or 1 AM and then start riding around in traffic, extra slowly, revving their engines and making as much noise as possible to annoy people.

This is what counts as a gang in Japan: repressed young people riding around and being annoying and failing to do anything that was actually going to get them in legal trouble.

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
I love that this is a thing in Japan.

So incredibly gaudy but makes me laugh.
野球

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2013, 12:12:50 PM »
What's the general feeling in Japan about NK? I've heard many people in SK say no one seems concerned because of how used they are to this type of rhetoric, but is it different in Japan now that NK is directly threatening them too? Allegedly they plan on shooting a missile over Japanese land today or on the 15th, and Japan is poised to shoot it down. I doubt Lil Kim will do shit but Who knows with this guy.

Stay safe bros. Especially Cormac, who I can definitely beat in arm wrestling when I visit.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
Where I lived, I would always hear that people were fearful of NK kidnappings.  They claimed it happened to a few people in that area (Ishikawa).
ど助平

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
Got my Softbank Rental invoice, they certainly have "interesting" fees for data for their own rental SIM cards :lol

You max out at 1500 yen per day though, but that literally seems to be reached with like, one email
地平線

« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
Got my Softbank Rental invoice, they certainly have "interesting" fees for data for their own rental SIM cards :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

You max out at 1500 yen per day though, but that literally seems to be reached with like, one email

Ouch! The apartment we're looking to rent for our trip next April offers a portable WiFi hotspot for rent. I think I'll go with that option.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »
What's the general feeling in Japan about NK? I've heard many people in SK say no one seems concerned because of how used they are to this type of rhetoric, but is it different in Japan now that NK is directly threatening them too? Allegedly they plan on shooting a missile over Japanese land today or on the 15th, and Japan is poised to shoot it down. I doubt Lil Kim will do shit but Who knows with this guy.

Stay safe bros. Especially Cormac, who I can definitely beat in arm wrestling when I visit.

It's on the news every day, because any time anything foreign is threatening, it is on the news. Li'l Kim defines that.

Most people don't think Li'l Kim is going to actually attack anyone; it wouldn't surprise me if he sent a missile over as a feint. His dad did it, I imagine he thinks he can do the same.

But it is on the news endlessly right now.

Where I lived, I would always hear that people were fearful of NK kidnappings.  They claimed it happened to a few people in that area (Ishikawa).
For a time it was believed to be just an urban myth, but it is apparently well-documented.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese_citizens

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
In Japan, this is an ad for constipation medicine:

And this is the ad for a snack:

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2013, 07:48:29 PM »

:dizzy

I found this hypnotic. Or I may just need more coffee.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
die antwoord  x psy.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »
I can't find a video of the old "H Beer" commercial.  Have it saved at home...may need to do a Youtube upload.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »
Found it!

ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
Wow, it even has the vag-cam, notorious from hentai anime.

« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »
Booked our next trip for April 3rd to the 14th. Flying into Kansai International for few days in Osaka before heading up to Tokyo for the rest of the trip and flying back to Seattle out of Haneda. Any Osaka suggestions and or hotel ideas?
野球