Author Topic: The Evil Within(Bethesda/Shinji Mikami survival horror game);runs on idTech5  (Read 3505 times)

maxy

• Sales Loser

So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:22:32 AM by maxy »
cat

Himu

Re: Zwei
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
:hyper :hyper :hyper
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:23:44 PM »
i hope they gave him a blank check and said "do whatever the fuck you want."   

Himu

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
Wait. Thought this was for the new Bethesda game. Don't care about Bethesda soft works. Want new Bethesda RPG announcement.
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »
Wait. Thought this was for the new Bethesda game. Don't care about Bethesda soft works. Want new Bethesda RPG announcement.

Zwei is the new mikami game. 

cool breeze

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
very excited to see what this is.  it's supposed to be survival horror, there's multiplayer, and it might be a next gen game....anything is fine.  Mikami :bow2

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
some info about the studio and the game
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54428415&postcount=202

Bethesda(Zenimax) owns the studio,btw
cat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
Bethesda?

Oh god...incoming shit graphics and poor ass performance

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »
Bethesda?

they're just publishing.  they bought Mikami's studio.  glorious nihonjin will make this game, filthy gaijin are merely being used as a conduit for distribution

Himu

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:09:12 PM »

Zwei is the new mikami game.

:gladbron
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
Bethesda?

UE3 game made in Japan.

Better?
cat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
Yeah some Japanese developers have proven to do UE3 ok.

Either way, I'm greatly excited for the next Mikami game and his studio in general.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »
very excited to see what this is.  it's supposed to be survival horror, there's multiplayer, and it might be a next gen game....anything is fine.  Mikami :bow2

I thought Zwei was confirmed as PS3/360 ages ago?
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 03:21:27 PM »
Panzer dragoon saga ZWEI

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »

cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
The early info makes it sound like RE5: What If Capcom Didn't Have A Brain Drain edition.  I'm trying to keep expectations in check, but i've put like 6 hours into RE4 in the past 2 days...its hard not to hope this is somehow an evolved follow up of his work on RE4. 

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
zwei means two in german fyi
pcp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Is this console only?
©ZH

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
whens the last time bethesda published a console-only game?
pcp

maxy

• Sales Loser
Bethesda has officially announced The Evil Within, the first game from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami’s studio Tango Gameworks. The Evil Within is a survival horror title due to arrive on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and next-generation consoles in 2014.

“We’re incredibly proud to announce The Evil Within,” said Mikami. “My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action.”

IGN will have exclusive first impressions of The Evil Within on Monday, April 22nd at 7:00 a.m. Pacific, so be sure to check back then for our thoughts on an early demo along with a behind-the-scenes look at Tango Gameworks.

Until then, you can watch Bethesda’s live-action teaser trailer for The Evil Within below
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/19/shinji-mikamis-new-game-is-the-evil-within?abthid=517131fafa0570b54b000006

cat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Hot fmv, looks scaaary

spoiler (click to show/hide)
No WiiU  :'(
[close]

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
No game footage? :piss
©ZH

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
lol I was gonna post about them better changing that name before seeing Maxy's post.
Drunk

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The Evil Within(Bethesda/Shinji Mikami survival horror game)
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
The Evil Within. The evil is already inside. The evil is a resident, you might say.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
"No, John, you are the evils."
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
So this is coming out for pretty much everything except the Wii U?  Damn.
ど助平

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 10:14:53 AM »
FUCK YEAH RESIDENT EVIL 5 MIKAMI EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper :hyper

Himu

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »
That looks nothing like Resident Evil, Don. It is like Evil Dead and Silent Hill made a baby. Sweet mother. :gladbron
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »
I just said what they were hoping people would say when they saw this pic (and I believe that's what it'll play like):

you know the gameplay will be an evolved re4.  it's OTS and ganados and chainsaw dude and everything

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »
I hope they take some cues from all the fancy character movement stuff introduced in RE6. I don't mind being a tank, but at least let me be a tank who can bust out sweet rolls n stuff.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »
Gonna be successful and then change direction with the next title.

Vidya game cycle.

cool breeze

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »
PC / Next Gen (+PS3/360)

“We’re incredibly proud to announce The Evil Within,” said Mikami. “My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action.

large image: http://i.imgur.com/doNKHci.jpg

:rejoice

Himu

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
Yeah. That image owns. Spiritual sequel to best game ever?
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »
So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

Wut?
cat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 10:58:09 AM »

Wut?

It's published by Bethesda
©@©™

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
Yeah but Japan + ID Tech 5 =   :mindblown

Maybe Carmack moved to Japan.
cat

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Wasn't it rumored to be UE3 before?
dur

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
i think i'll go on blackout for this.  not cause i don't want to be spoiled but the mix of people groaning about "action" and people groaning about controls on gaf are already pissing me off  :lol  even a guy who said Mikami is just a brand name to sell this.   ::)

Wasn't it rumored to be UE3 before?

yeah

Himu

Yeah I will watch the first game play trailer and then pass on new media.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

Sign me up.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
:crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd  :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd :crazybron :krs :gladbron :noah :datass :lawd
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Can't wait to peep this at Quakecon in August. :rock
dog

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Looks like their concept artist is a fan of THE WAR Z

BTW yes all concept artists do this

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
How did you beat Manabyte to that post?

Btw Manabyte wouldn't have put that disclaimer in.
vin

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
Looks like their concept artist is a fan of THE WAR Z

[img]http://i.imgur.com/L4IpySx.jpg[/i]

BTW yes all concept artists do this

i wonder if that's some subtle dig

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2013, 10:48:03 AM »
Maybe Carmack moved to Japan.

Behold, the true lord of middleware is coming back from behind to stab UE4 from behind his big publisher safety net. See it and despair, Westerners.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:'( <name of latest techdemo game of iD> engine > Unreal engine
[close]

I hope they take some cues from all the fancy character movement stuff introduced in RE6. I don't mind being a tank, but at least let me be a tank who can bust out sweet rolls n stuff.

Except that dodge mechanic was too clunky and unneeded when you were getting shot at for 90% of the game. Then again this is Mikami and not 600 Capcom employees so who knows. Maybe he could evolve the RE6 gameplay to where it's better than Capcom's attempt at that.

Edit: OH MY GOD THAT TRAILER. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG. :lawd :noah :dead
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:55:37 AM by thisismyusername »

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2013, 11:02:47 AM »
Except that dodge mechanic was too clunky and unneeded when you were getting shot at for 90% of the game. Then again this is Mikami and not 600 Capcom employees so who knows. Maybe he could evolve the RE6 gameplay to where it's better than Capcom's attempt at that.

he's done it before!
SRY

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
I hope he proceeds directly from 4.  Games have tried to iterate on it and failed like shit for the past 8 years.   I think I tried to convince myself that 5 is fine because the shooting is basically the same, but no, it's not.

Himu

IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Imagine if the WiiU version uses the controller screen as a rear view window, allowing you to see monsters behind you. Could be awesome.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
This game :rejoice

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
new article:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/22/the-evil-within-first-look?abthid=5175427de0cbbcba3a000005

I skimmed it cause it pretty much spoils the opening and it doesn't say much that we don't already know.  I think I'm fine on info with this game until it launches.  I was getting the "don't fuckin spoil me!" cringes while I was reading.  :P

--shinji mikami
--horror
--insanity element
--OTS TPS

i'm good

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Huge fan of Mikami, even if I'm not huge on horror this still looks pretty cool.
^_^

Himu

"-Mikami loves horror, but survival-horror has been drifting away from what makes it survival-horror, and he wants to bring it back."

My savior. :tocry
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
omg i gotta keep this hype in check, but how am i supposed to do that when they post what's basically the first part of the ganado village complete with a huge church/castle in the background but much creepier

BobFromPikeCreek

zzzzz

Himu

Omg that is so re4.

There's even a fire in the middle of the town.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
RE4-2
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
what a rehash