Author Topic: Xbox One Kills Used Games  (Read 17606 times)

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
Re: Xbox One Kills Used Games
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 06:48:47 PM »
Just got home from work and heard the news.  :noah

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »
Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 06:54:24 PM »
So basically you're buying a $60 portable voucher code. You use the code, it's on your account, you can download / install it any time you please, without the need of the disc.

You give it to your friend, and it's essnetially the same thing. It just saves them the hassle of buying a new voucher coaster.
fat

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
You've gotta connect to the internet once every 24 hours

Sorry US Military! Guess it's PS4 time for you guys

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »
Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

helios

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
So not only do you have to have a connection to activate a game, you must also connect to the internet every 24 hours.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

It just keeps getting worse

FoneBone

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »
Also sounds like the only option for reselling or trading games will be via MS itself, probably at a price point which they dictate.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2013, 07:06:02 PM »
Also sounds like the only option for reselling or trading games will be via MS itself, probably at a price point which they dictate.

Gamestop will love that.
CBG

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2013, 07:25:39 PM »
If the backlash is loud enough (and by "loud enough" I mean "enough people refuse to buy into it," as they're only going to hear the sound of wallets closing), both MS and Sony will furiously backpedal away from this.
sup

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
If the backlash is loud enough (and by "loud enough" I mean "enough people refuse to buy into it," as they're only going to hear the sound of wallets closing), both MS and Sony will furiously backpedal away from this.
Too many early adopters dying for a next gen console.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
Well sony is in the great spot now as they will be able to pretend they never wanted to do this.

Or they can leave it to the pubs and still be the good guy

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »
Too many early adopters dying for a next gen console.

You're probably right, but it'll be interesting to see how much it drops after the initial rush, and how many people sell it off once the realization hits. The average person isn't even going to know about the draconian DRM until they hook it up. Nerds like us are the only people who pay attention to shows like this and E3. Most folks get their electronics info from the salespeople walking the floor at Best Buy.
sup

FoneBone

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
Implication I'm getting re: you'll be able to trade in games for XBLA points, or for store credit at certain retailers, all of which will go through MS and give them a cut.  But "used games" will no longer exist.  Doesn't make sense when most other indications point to game discs being treated as little more than DD keys.

Himu

« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
Xbla points don't exist anymore. They switched to cash. Now we know one of the reasons why.
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »
Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?

A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

How will this exactly work?

???
cat

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »
it's apparently complicated enough that he needs time to prepare how to present it.

Good game.

drew

• sy
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2013, 09:39:58 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

ok, fuck this thing.  I'll just enjoy the rest of the year with whats coming out on the 360 and then I don't know...

mjemirzian

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
I'm more interested in a 360 mini (provided it has a dvd drive)

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:05 PM »
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/408116/microsoft-xbox-one-pre-owned-plans-consistent-with-way-the-world-works/

Important piece of info(the rest is   :zzz)

Microsoft has held high level meetings with its international retail partners on the subject, Harrison said, and Microsoft will later discuss plans for a system that will allow players to trade game ownership via Xbox Live.

Digital used game marketplace in the making?

cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
jeez, they really wanna squeeze those extra few npd numbers out of the used market

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »
This isn't confusing at all
sup

Father_Brain

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »
Implication I'm getting re: you'll be able to trade in games for XBLA points, or for store credit at certain retailers, all of which will go through MS and give them a cut.  But "used games" will no longer exist.  Doesn't make sense when most other indications point to game discs being treated as little more than DD keys.
Nah, the disks are just data storage mechanisms that confer no right on whoever has one to access their content. The DD keys are... the DD keys.

FoneBone

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2013, 12:51:53 AM »
I meant the discs are keys at the time of purchase, not after they've been used.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2013, 01:10:29 AM »

A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

???
with money.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2013, 04:41:13 AM »

???
with money.
:mindblown

Selling X1 games is like selling digital games,pretty big thing if you ask me.Small glimmer of hope for gaming industry,imo.

#gamechanger

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:03:56 AM by maxy »
cat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
I'm more interested in a 360 mini (provided it has a dvd drive)

I thought I saw it got shitcanned.
©ZH

mjemirzian

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
You sound :umad as hell right now

even maxy is taking this better than you
::)

etiolate

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2013, 02:42:36 PM »
Will you get full price credit for digital used games sales? That's a shady salsa they're cooking up with that.

There is essentially no value loss if you send a "used" digital game to someone else. There can be no damage to the product or alteration of the product from its "new" state. It's like a car that never drives off the lot. However, Microsoft could claim you got use out of it and thus shouldn't get full credit back for it. So you reduce the value proposition for the customer and retain the trade-in purchase boosting of used game sales for your company. Customers won't save money by buying used games (however minimal the savings), but only by trading in the access to the digital code of the game (that is forever new in a retail sense) towards another Microsoft purchase.

MS gets to have its cake and eat it, too.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »
Will you get full price credit for digital used games sales? That's a shady salsa they're cooking up with that.

There is essentially no value loss if you send a "used" digital game to someone else. There can be no damage to the product or alteration of the product from its "new" state. It's like a car that never drives off the lot. However, Microsoft could claim you got use out of it and thus shouldn't get full credit back for it. So you reduce the value proposition for the customer and retain the trade-in purchase boosting of used game sales for your company. Customers won't save money by buying used games (however minimal the savings), but only by trading in the access to the digital code of the game (that is forever new in a retail sense) towards another Microsoft purchase.

Not a chance.At best you can expect something what Gamestop is doing right now.
cat

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
500 MSP and a free avatar hat!
<----

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »
I think there are no avatars on X1.
cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
so then what about all that money I spent making my avatar look cool?  all my dynamic special themes?  my face plates?   All the stuff I defined my personality with on the Xbox 360 gone, just like that?!  I spent 7 years pimping my xbox for nothing?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2013, 04:40:59 PM »
Having to buy everything again drives sales Don.

Jeeeez.

Also instead of avatars there will be tvtars

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/gamerscore-will-port-over-to-xbox-one

Microsoft has confirmed that your Gamerscore will be ported over from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One, along with your gamertag and your avatar.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2013, 06:46:08 PM »
All that will port over... but will it port over for FREE?
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
The fee will be 1 MS point per point of gamerscore you want moved.
©ZH

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2013, 10:36:26 AM »
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/23/phil-harrison-says-microsoft-will-invest-1b-in-games-for-xbox-one-interview/

GamesBeat: There’s been a lot of chatter on particular controversial subjects leading up to this. People want to know about used games, about backward compatibility, and about the constant connection. What are some of the facts on those? Can you play used games on the Xbox One? Do you have to pay a fee?

Harrison: Just like today, if you have a game disc that you buy from the store, you can play that game. The game is now installed to the hard drive. Any user who is associated with that Xbox One can play that game. I can give that game disc to my son and he can go and take it to another machine inside the house and play it on that machine. Just like today, only one of us can play it at any one time.

The difference, though — the benefit of Xbox One is that that data can roam with me. I can go to my friend’s house. I can log in as myself into his machine. I can then play that game on his machine, and while I’m logged in, he can play it as well.

GamesBeat: Do you bring your disc with you, or could you use his disc?

Harrison: Doesn’t matter, yeah. If I bring my disc with me and I leave the bits on his hard drive, but he wants to play the game, he can buy the game — just like today. But in this instance, the bits were already on his hard drive, so it’s an instant switch-out. We will have a solution — and we’re not talking about the details today but just to take the angst out of this — that allows a user to trade that game back in and to give up the right to play that game.

GamesBeat: I like this whole cloud hardware idea, though.

Harrison: It’s a wonderful quote. Did you pick that up from Mark’s speech this morning? Day one of Xbox One, we will have over 300,000 servers dedicated to Xbox One in the cloud, which have an equivalent computing power greater than the world’s computing power in 1999.

GamesBeat: John Riccitiello wrote an interesting piece yesterday. He was addressing price, and you guys aren’t talking about that yet, but some of these issues seem to resonate. He thinks it’s in everyone’s interest to have the right price on this, to have plentiful supply, and to have the entertainment options there but not weighing down the box and making it complicated to find and discover your games. The games should be front and center. If you add too many options, at some point the interface becomes harder to use.

Harrison: The dash experience you saw today is dynamic. It’s personal. It’s customized to you. The last things you played or did on the platform are the things you see first when you switch the machine back on again. As you play games, games will be the things you see. The more games you play, the more games will be recommended to you. That will learn over time. It will get more perfect to your choices, to what your friends are playing, to what you like, [and] to what your region likes.

As a user, you are entirely in control of how your dash ends up being populated. Either explicitly by saying, “I want these things to go here,” or dynamically because of the choices you make.

cat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
Yeah, there's no way to spin that game stuff and make it sound good.

"No, guys, listen, you can still loan your games to a friend. As long as you're logged in on his/her Xbox1 and don't mind not being able to play anything on your own system, since you can only be logged into one machine at the time, just like today with XBLA games, except now everything is an XBLA game."

"Really, relax, fellas. You'll still be able to trade in your games. Through a Microsoft-approved system where we set the trade value and may choose to exclude certain games at any time. But hey, at least you won't have to hassle with GameStop, eBay, Craigslist, or dealing directly with your friends anymore, right?"

Everyone loves to bitch about GameStop, and I'm not really a fan, but I bet we'll all be looking back on them with fondness in a few years.
sup

Brehvolution

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2013, 11:02:38 AM »
©ZH

Powerslave

« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2013, 11:03:32 AM »
Xbox Kills Games*

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2013, 05:13:45 AM »
Xbla points don't exist anymore. They switched to cash. Now we know one of the reasons why.
What's this current, hyperbolic misinformation you're currently dishing?
**googles**
Oh, it's a rumor based on the appearance of Win8/Metro-themed gift cards. So... it's possible MSP might go away.

Or, possibly, exist in parallel like they already do, as DD/Games-on-Demand uses the currency of their marketplace territory, while XBLA's (generally) borderless marketplace uses MSP.

Aren't laws against this in some of these consumer paradise Eurostan countries? Doesn't France require that, if you've purchased an "item" of software, you are able to sell it again, as with any other real-world object? Or am I misremembering again?

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2013, 05:36:57 AM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

Retailers will be free to charge whatever they wish for pre-owned Xbox One games, but both Microsoft and publishers will take a percentage cut of every sale.

Retail sources have told MCV that Microsoft has this week briefed key retail partners on how it intends to take ownership of the pre-owned market.

This is how we’ve been told it will all work:

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been traded-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

Unconfirmed reports on ConsoleDeals.co.uk suggest that retail’s slice will be as little as ten per cent. That’s a significant cut from what it has become accustomed to from pre-owned sales and more in line with what they would receive from the sale of a new game – hence, the value of the pre-owned market to the retailer is effectively destroyed.

These same unconfirmed reports also suggest that the activation cost for consumers buying or borrowing pre-owned software will be £35.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft responded with the following statement: “We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed.

"While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.”
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:15:50 AM by maxy »
cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2013, 06:16:07 AM »
 :anhuld

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2013, 06:26:19 AM »
rip selling games on ebay, amazon marketplace or craigslist

please understand
itm

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2013, 06:28:52 AM »
I am going to assume the fee for activating a used game is $60, or at the very least $50, until microsoft specifically says otherwise.

pilonv1

« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2013, 06:32:53 AM »
If the activation cost is $35, then the trade price is going to be about $5
itm

Himu

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
Chronovore is one step away from my ignore list if he doesn't stop being a prick over fucking video games.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:49:55 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »
Hahaha, 10%?  Yeah, retailers are going to tell Microsoft to go fuck themselves.  Gamestop is going to fight this with every shred of power they have, and Japan is going to amend their constitution so they can go to war with the scarf-wearing fuckos in Redmond.
As if anyone is going to buy an Xbone in japan.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2013, 09:24:12 AM »
:lol this keeps getting more and more like one of those Mr. Show "corporation" sketches every day
sup

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »
Haha, 10%? That would be hilarious if true.

Gamestop: "We'll give you $1 for this copy of Halo 5."

Customer: "Dafuq?"

Gamestop: ":dead"
©@©™

pilonv1

« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
Chronovore is one step away from my ignore list if he doesn't stop being a prick over fucking video games.

incredible levels of gotten to here
itm

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »
:lol this keeps getting more and more like one of those Mr. Show "corporation" sketches every day

"Look lady, I'm gonna come down to where you work and slap the dick out of your mouth!" 

"WHAT?!" 

"That's the slogan of our new used game trade-in program!"

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »

incredible levels of gotten to here

I wish I saved his pretty long unedited post :'(

He called chronovore a smartass.
cat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »

Bring it, girlfriend.

You seem to think everyone here has to listen to your half-considered rants and name calling, but you can't take it in return.  I'll race you to the Ignore Button.

helios

« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »
Why should Microsoft and the publisher get a cut from a used game?

huckleberry

« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »

They aren't used anymore. They never belonged to you in the first place.

we changed the way we think about ownership of the games
wub

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
Man, what a shame. I would have hoped for a system that shops would actually used (gonna leave this typo in) so the publishers could get data about how much money goes around in circles from new games, to used games, to new games, etc.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:36:12 AM by Rufus »

helios

« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2013, 11:34:35 AM »

They aren't used anymore. They never belonged to you in the first place.

we changed the way we think about ownership of the games

fuck that

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

Retailers will be free to charge whatever they wish for pre-owned Xbox One games, but both Microsoft and publishers will take a percentage cut of every sale.

Retail sources have told MCV that Microsoft has this week briefed key retail partners on how it intends to take ownership of the pre-owned market.

This is how we’ve been told it will all work:

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been traded-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.

Unconfirmed reports on ConsoleDeals.co.uk suggest that retail’s slice will be as little as ten per cent. That’s a significant cut from what it has become accustomed to from pre-owned sales and more in line with what they would receive from the sale of a new game – hence, the value of the pre-owned market to the retailer is effectively destroyed.

These same unconfirmed reports also suggest that the activation cost for consumers buying or borrowing pre-owned software will be £35.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft responded with the following statement: “We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed.

"While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.”

This sounds like a great plan beneficial for all
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:20:04 PM by Sho Nuff »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
Indie developer Sho Nuff on Xbox One reveal:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Tweet this.