Author Topic: Xbox One Kills Used Games  (Read 17607 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Xbox One Kills Used Games
« on: May 21, 2013, 02:05:53 PM »
Deserves its own thread.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.
CBG

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Xbox One Kills Used Games
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »
Does it?  We already knew this.
ど助平

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
dur

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »
Xbox One plays games?
itm

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:51 PM »
how can you kill that which does not exist

but seriously, fuck everything about this thing. 

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:55 PM »
Guess this means no one can rent a Xbox One game from GameFly...
CBG

cool breeze

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:47 PM »
from gametrailers

“No, you don’t always have to be connected. But for a lot of things like multiplayer gaming, for streaming content from the Internet, you’re gonna need an Internet connection. That’s the world we live in.”

so, there's that positive news to balance this thread out.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
I think this is only in regards to installs. Which doesn't excuse it any more, of course.
fat

ManaByte

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
I think this is only in regards to installs. Which doesn't excuse it any more, of course.

All games have to install to the HDD. So, it applies to every game.
CBG

hampster

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 02:25:34 PM »
I wonder how this works for two accounts on the same console. Surely they aren't going to make the second account pay a fee then?
Zzz

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
Someone in the reveal thread said it's per account. Not sure why that would matter one way or another though. They're not going to make people pay extra for couch co-op...

“No, you don’t always have to be connected. But for a lot of things like multiplayer gaming, for streaming content from the Internet, you’re gonna need an Internet connection. That’s the world we live in.”
That's the world we live in? Is this code for "no shit, dumbass"? You have to be connected for multiplayer. This is the world we live in. ps4sadfaceguy.gif
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:33:01 PM by Rufus »

Himu

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 02:35:26 PM »
Explains why EA scrapped the online pass program. Online pass for eeeverything. Emphasis on online.

treythemovie

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »
Now to wait for Sony to join them so we can all call off the console gaming market for good.  :-\

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »
i'm surprised they admitted it this early, thought for sure they'd dodge that question up until the console was actually for sale

wonder if sony's gonna fess up now, or play it cagey until later this year
sup

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 02:43:24 PM »
internet required for streaming?   no sale, i thought this was the future  ::)

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »
Now to wait for Sony to join them so we can all call off the console gaming market for good.  :-\

Yep they have been cagey about it ever since.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 02:45:32 PM »
Well I'm not buying this piece of shit.  See you gaming!
vin

Vertigo

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
i'm surprised they admitted it this early, thought for sure they'd dodge that question up until the console was actually for sale

wonder if sony's gonna fess up now, or play it cagey until later this year

They'll fess up now MS has.

Unless they don't want that EA love.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
I wonder how this works for two accounts on the same console. Surely they aren't going to make the second account pay a fee then?

What about a home with multiple consoles and users? It doesn't make sense to make consumers have to pay this "fee" for something they should have the right to do with as they please. There are way too many questions than I have answers to and until I get some real answers I'm out.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 03:01:44 PM »
yeah, sony will have something dumb too.  its been too much good news for the PS4, now we wait for the crap.

cool breeze

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes," he said. Asked whether the Xbox One will accommodate people who perhaps play in their bedroom rather than their living room, Eagle replied: "Yes, absolutely. We use the living room almost as a moniker - that's where we assume the best screen is in the house. But if you like to play in any other room in the house, the Xbox One will deliver the same quality of experience whatever the environment.

always connected.  always watching.

:phil

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
yeah, sony will have something dumb too.  its been too much good news for the PS4, now we wait for the crap.
Expecting them to throw a spanner in the works somewhere before launch, just hoping it's not a total deal breaker as I dont feel like going back to the pc rat race. 

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »
Despite the system not requiring it, developers will be able to create games that will not play offline. Wired reports that games will be able to hook into Microsoft's Azure cloud services with a lack of offline support, but there is no requirement for them to do so yet. A second part to the always online rumor was some type of activation system that prevents used games. Microsoft says it's "designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games," and promises to offer more details in future. Wired has some additional details, noting that secondary use of a game disc will require a fee so that it will be marked and owned and can be played without the disc — something the Xbox One supports natively.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352542/xbox-one-always-online-not-required-used-games-work/in/4116279

Jansen

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »
i feel dead inside now. my xbros are going to be devastated  :fbm :fbm :fbm

mjemirzian

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
This is outrageous! How dare they!

Now, back to my Steam collection. :-[

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
Expecting them to throw a spanner in the works somewhere before launch, just hoping it's not a total deal breaker as I dont feel like going back to the pc rat race.

best case scenario - they sit back and do nothing while MS hangs itself. 

although i dunno...do people who watch sports want all this shit? 

ManaByte

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »

best case scenario - they sit back and do nothing while MS hangs itself. 

although i dunno...do people who watch sports want all this shit? 

A friend on FB said that MS's reveal killed Sony's...because of the ESPN shit.

Then again, he's a Chargers fan so...
CBG

huckleberry

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »
Someone in the reveal thread said it's per account. Not sure why that would matter one way or another though. They're not going to make people pay extra for couch co-op...

It's not couch co-op that sounds like they are blocking....it sounds like they are gong to a Steam model with games where each account has to own rights to the game to play. If that is the case, then it does matter a helluva lot.
wub

Father_Brain

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »
Wired article has since been updated:

Microsoft called Wired after this story was originally published to say that the company did have a plan for used games, and that further details were forthcoming.

Well, that's reassuring. A "plan?" This could hardly be more black and white; either you can play used games without any additional fee, which is how the concept of used games has been defined for every previous gaming platform that uses physical media, or you can't.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »
that's the plan:

"You can't."
sup

mjemirzian

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
They might let you deactivate a game from your account. (for a fee)

Or transfer an activation to another users account. (again, for a fee)

MS wants its cut.

Himu

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
:lol
IYKYK

ManaByte

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »
It's going to be funny when Gamestop gives the Wii U more shelf space than Xbox One over this.

Xbox One will be on the other side of the PC games shelf.
CBG

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 04:20:33 PM »
It's going to be funny when Gamestop gives the Wii U more shelf space than Xbox One over this.

Fill their shelves with what?
fat

Himu

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 04:21:30 PM »

those crappy gamestop cases with the shitty drawings
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »

mjemirzian

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 04:25:21 PM »
Gamestop started buying online passes and including them with used copies of games. They'll do the same thing here by eating activation transfer licenses.

In other words, MS/publishers won't kill used games, just make it so they get their cut from any license transfer.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:30:05 PM by mjemirzian »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
Gamestop will not suffer from this in the slightest.

They will happily print "secondary use fee" activation codes for you right from the register, just like they already do for online passes, and take their cut from it.

For the thousandth time - despite all the noise, none of these companies really have it out for Gamestop.  The Gamestop corporation is a business partner which sells new consoles, accessories, and games for them.

You know who doesn't sell new product for them? You. If it weren't for you trading in or selling your games, the secondary market wouldn't exist. If it weren't for you loaning out your games to all your goodtime buddies, everyone would have to buy their own copies. You're the reason they don't get their cut, so all these plans are, and always have been, about getting that cut from you. Never forget that. Gamestop is going to roll right along, and it will cost them nothing. It's only going to cost you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:33:42 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Father_Brain

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
By some accounts, game activations are automatically transferred for free to whoever uses the disc, though there's a one-activation-at-a-time limit. That seems to directly contradict Wired, though.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
It's not couch co-op that sounds like they are blocking....it sounds like they are gong to a Steam model with games where each account has to own rights to the game to play. If that is the case, then it does matter a helluva lot.
Yeah, I didn't take into account the whole achievement stuff and maybe separate saves? ...This is so stupid.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
MS should delete achievements if you trade in a game.

Unless you pay 10 bucks extra of course when someone else activates that disc.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
Gamestop gives you an online pass if you buy a used game from them? Where?

Himu

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »
By some accounts, game activations are automatically transferred for free to whoever uses the disc, though there's a one-activation-at-a-time limit. That seems to directly contradict Wired, though.

that's still fucking stupid
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
Gamestop will tell you at the register to buy an online pass for your used game.

Father_Brain

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »

that's still fucking stupid

Yeah, it's just not quite as odious.

ManaByte

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 04:49:06 PM »
Gamestop will tell you at the register to buy an online pass for your used game.

Right after they ask you 100 times to pre-order [insert game here]
CBG

Father_Brain

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
Official comment from MS, which unsurprisingly clears absolutely nothing up:

UPDATE 4: This is the official line from Microsoft: "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later." Microsoft representatives are not clarifying whether a fee will need to be played to play pre=owned games, or how much that fee will be.

helios

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »

mjemirzian

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
Right after they ask you 100 times to pre-order [insert game here]
This one time, this gamestop employee laughed at me when I went to pick up my preorder of Mugen Senran Kagura Souls 2 Limited Edition with full sized bodypillow and boob mousepad. I was SO INSULTED! :maf

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »
I'm confused, what the hell is the deal here? ???

Himu

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »
read the thread and find out?
IYKYK

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
read the thread and find out?
I did, I still don't know how the hell this is supposed to work.

Himu

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
It doesn't block out used games, except it does.

It doesn't require an internet connection, except it does.

We don't know. IT IS A MYSTERY.
IYKYK

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Xbox One Kills Used Games
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2013, 05:14:12 PM »
They need to learn from Sony on how to
be better at being unclear on big issues
dur

Bebpo

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2013, 05:18:25 PM »
The problem with deactivation is...that it doesn't work for used games/gamefly.  How are you going to check that someone deactivated their copy at home?  I guess gamestop could put the disc in and try to install and run it before buying it from the person, but gamefly/redbox?  Definitely gonna have problems.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »
That looks like sarcasm to me.

treythemovie

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
poor gamefly  :usacry

ManaByte

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
ONLINE PASS FEE IS THE COST OF THE WHOLE GAME

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

CBG

treythemovie

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 06:41:55 PM »
ONLINE PASS FEE IS THE COST OF THE WHOLE GAME

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

lol, that aint no "fee". Whats even the point of the system then? To trick buyers before they get burned and ditch your system entirely?