Author Topic: Game  (Read 15429 times)

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Re: Deep Down is a F2P Garbage now, LMAO
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2013, 04:26:53 AM »
KI isn't F2P.

And no, MS got the better deal: Dead Rising 3.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2013, 04:38:54 AM »
 :neogaf

Rahxephon91

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2013, 05:02:48 AM »
Well I mean that "Capcom Online Games" logo brand should have tipped us off. A shame really.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Deep Down looks AMAZING
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »
Dragon's Dogma > Souls

Disagree strongly, but I'll respect our difference in opinion demi.

It did?

well, not outsold the living fuck, but it did outsell them both handily, at least with the numbers available.

demon's souls sold about 650k~ between NA and JP, with 2/3 of that being in NA
dark souls sold about 700k~ between NA and JP, about half and half
dragon's dogma sold about 800k~ between NA and JP, with 2/3 of that being in JP, plus another few hundred k of the expansion.

souls is a big critical/fan success, and demon's was a huge sales success for a company atlus's size, and they sell very well for what they are, to be sure.  but, like uncharted, people seem to think that they sell a hell of a lot better than they actually do.  i can pretty much guarantee capcom wasn't sitting their rubbing there hands together at the prospects of selling seven hundred k.... they can do that pretty much in their sleep. 

edit: you saw nooooooo typos
Could've sworn Dark Souls cracked 2m units earlier this year. Are you talking about NA and JP only?

He's using both of those as a gauge of "Dragons Dogma selling better than the Souls series." AFAIK, he's right in a year selling sense.

But in Capcom's eyes: Dragon's Dogma was a bit of a flop. Maybe not in Japan where it sold relatively well, but in the West (US especially) it didn't catch fire. I guess that's why they're making Deep Down Free to Play: Try to catch some casual players with a casual clone of the Souls series.

Unfortunately for Capcom if they don't nail the Souls combat feeling, they can't grab me or some of the people that want a more casual Souls experience.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
also lol this game has a roguelike mechanism where you lose all your shit when you die, unless you pay real moneys.  and the dungeons are randomized too.  i guess it's a roguelike, but iap'd out the arse.

:dead

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2013, 07:29:11 AM »
also lol this game has a roguelike mechanism where you lose all your shit when you die, unless you pay real moneys.  and the dungeons are randomized too.  i guess it's a roguelike, but iap'd out the arse.

:neogaf

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2013, 07:46:04 AM »
certainly didn't catch fire in the west

actually sold more copies on ps3/360 than dark souls tho

all i'm saying is that souls wasn't a huge-ass break-out hit saleswise that everyone's keen to recreate.  it sold well for a from title, but in the scheme of things, it's not something a big-ass company like capcom is envious of.

Right. But I think most people (or at least me) using the "lol Souls Clone lol" argument are doing it from a gameplay point. Dragon's Dogma felt like it wanted to be a Souls game, but the combat just wasn't up to snuff/did "wrong" to reach that. Maybe that's just me putting my own expectations from a medieval-themed game on it, but there you go.

:heh Diablo 3 should've done that with Hardcore. Just to see the trainwreck of that over the Auction House.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2013, 09:08:45 AM »
Crapcom starting this gen with a vengeance.
Drunk

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
Whelp, my interest in this game just cratered.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
Yeah. Same here.

Let me buy my game and then play it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »
I like the idea of it being roguelike, but that F2P shit sounds awful.   :yuck
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »
finally, a game i can afford. bout time f2p came to consoles. will definitely play.

f2p + ADD attention span = beautiful magic
pcp

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »
the whole point of F2P is to appeal to dirty poor like me and dirty poor certainly aren't buying a 399$ console at launch so this is super ??? :neogaf :what :mindblown
<----

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »
yes but when we DO get those expensive consoles we also have to have money for expensive games. last gen it took YEARS before anything worthwhile dropped below even $30. now theres an affordable alternative to waiting for crumbs 8)
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
yes but when we DO get those expensive consoles we also have to have money for expensive games. last gen it took YEARS before anything worthwhile dropped below even $30. now theres an affordable alternative to waiting for crumbs 8)

The affordable alternative to waiting for crumbs is to get a PC and buy games on Steam or in indie bundles.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »

The affordable alternative to waiting for crumbs is to get a PC and buy games on Steam or in indie bundles.

:comeon
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2013, 12:28:04 PM »
If you already think buying a $400 console isn't a problem? Sure.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
ive got consoles before with some nice discounts by exploiting promotional deals, printing up mock-up coupons, etc. think i got a 360 for about $150 in 2007 or 2008.  people also sell them off to others for steep discounts a few years after release and they dont care about them anymore.

its a lot easier to pull that off than to get a decent computer for that cheap.
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »
Assuming you've already got some cheap-o computer from Wal-Mart that you use for browsing the internet and making Word documents, a few hundred bucks can turn that into a gaming rig without much effort.
dog

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
ive got consoles before with some nice discounts by exploiting promotional deals, printing up mock-up coupons, etc. think i got a 360 for about $150 in 2007 or 2008.  people also sell them off to others for steep discounts a few years after release and they dont care about them anymore.

its a lot easier to pull that off than to get a decent computer for that cheap.

yeah, but you also get a computer. so the cost kinda breaks down to base decent computer (say, $500) + ultimate big dick game extension (say, $250).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:00:26 PM by headwalk »

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2013, 12:59:44 PM »
You're never too poor to boot strap, POS.  :american

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »
eh (as long as its not IP blocked) this makes me wanna try it out at least, until the pricing bullshit reaches to a point where I have to pay to have some chance.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »
Assuming you've already got some cheap-o computer from Wal-Mart that you use for browsing the internet and making Word documents, a few hundred bucks can turn that into a gaming rig without much effort.

speaking of which, my dad just bought another computer (for internet/office/etc). $750, and he paid some tech to "set it up" for $60. I don't remember the specs but it's just a new Dell, good amount of RAM/HD but...it's just a Dell.
 :snoop

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
Dell can make some outstanding devices though, case in point: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/3/4390788/dell-xps-11-video-preview-computex-2013

Their enterprise devices are top notch.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
No buy from me for sure

Rahxephon91

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
Dragon Dogma was nothing like a Souls Game, nor was it trying to be. It was trying to be an open world wrpg done by the Japanese.

People simply think "lol Souls" clone, because they are unimaginative and see "Japanese Dark Fantasy" so it must be like Souls.

I bet if they put out another Berserk game people would be all "it looks just like Dark Souls".
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:47:51 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
Dragon Dogma was nothing like a Souls Game, nor was it trying to be. It was trying to be an open world wrpg done by the Japanese.

Dragon's Dogma was much closer to The Witcher, Two Worlds, Gothic, or Risen than it was Dark Souls.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »

Dragon's Dogma was much closer to The Witcher, Two Worlds, Gothic, or Risen than it was Dark Souls.
Exactly. I think The Witcher 2 is a pretty good comparison. They both play like more like typical action games and both require some actual perpetration before combat.

Dark Souls is slow and more deliberate.

Damian79

« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2013, 11:53:15 PM »
I dont understand why F2P is so bad.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2013, 12:21:24 AM »
Because being F2P, especially for a game this big and expensive, means they're going to monetize every aspect of the game that can be monetized [except for the actual game itself, which will be "free"].
dog

Tasty

Re: Deep Downgrade and Knack Bullshots vs Reality
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2013, 12:44:28 AM »
Re: TGS vids

Shit gameplay, "tank" controls, fancy gfx effects.

Yup, looks like a Capcom game. They had one job only: rip off Demon's Souls. Being Capcom, they failed of course.

what makes you think they wanted to rip of demon's souls?  you are aware dragon's dogma outsold the living fuck out of both souls games, yeah?

Wait... really?

It did?

well, not outsold the living fuck, but it did outsell them both handily, at least with the numbers available.

demon's souls sold about 650k~ between NA and JP, with 2/3 of that being in NA
dark souls sold about 700k~ between NA and JP, about half and half
dragon's dogma sold about 800k~ between NA and JP, with 2/3 of that being in JP, plus another few hundred k of the expansion.

souls is a big critical/fan success, and demon's was a huge sales success for a company atlus's size, and they sell very well for what they are, to be sure.  but, like uncharted, people seem to think that they sell a hell of a lot better than they actually do.  i can pretty much guarantee capcom wasn't sitting their rubbing there hands together at the prospects of selling seven hundred k.... they can do that pretty much in their sleep. 

edit: you saw nooooooo typos

Huh. Dat MH bug. Forgot to add DD to my PS3 list. Wonder how it is...

Dragon's Dogma > Souls

Mmmmm. Why?

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2013, 02:45:20 AM »
it felt like it wanted to be MH with western appeal.

that was the spec, apparently.

I always hoped that DD was a test run for MH-next gen, but alas.... though climbing on enemies has made it through.

I dont understand why F2P is so bad.

because , personally, i had being given a game piecemeal and then ending up being locked into a game cost for somethign that doesn't need it. However, i believe we have yet to see the full details of what Deep Down is.... there are whispers...
O=X

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »
Considering how successful Valve has been with TF2 and DOTA2, it's absurd other game companies aren't just "doing that".
nat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
TF2 launched as a p2p and already had a big userbase when it went f2p. Dota2 is one of two games in a genre people go nuts right now, so it was almost a guaranteed success. They could also afford to run it in beta for a long while.

I'm afraid it's not as easy as "doing that", when you can't be sure that what you're putting out is something people will want to play. I'm sure they're making reasonable projections (insofar as projections can ever be reasonable) and are looking for ways to get some ROI with those numbers. Since they need to be 'safe' it's unlikely to stop at hats and other cosmetic items.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »
There is also a argument to be made for f2p being detrimental to tf2 with all the extraneous bullshit that was, and continues to be, added. And I'm not just talking about the aesthetic being ruined, but mechanically impactful bonuses on certain items that you can loot, craft or whatever. 

archie4208

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
There is also a argument to be made for f2p being detrimental to tf2 with all the extraneous bullshit that was, and continues to be, added. And I'm not just talking about the aesthetic being ruined, but mechanically impactful bonuses on certain items that you can loot, craft or whatever.

Stock weapons are still the best most of the time in TF2.

Valve did a good job of making weapons different, balanced and easy to obtain.

I trust Capcom to do none of the above.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2013, 03:26:44 AM »
hay guys look what I just made

http://f2plol.ytmnd.com/

:D

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2013, 03:32:03 AM »
hay guys look what I just made

http://f2plol.ytmnd.com/

:D

hahah I clicked on this in the office with full volume on  :lol :lol :lol

Thank god my manager is not in

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2013, 03:33:12 AM »
LOL I would never click a YTMND link at work (mine is work safe tho)

Damian79

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2013, 03:37:49 AM »
Catchy.

archnemesis

« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2013, 04:36:31 AM »
Now that it is F2P I will most likely give it a try. I wouldn't have paid $60 for it so I guess Capcom made a sensible decision.

archnemesis

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2013, 05:00:48 AM »
That's true. I don't remember spending money on any F2P game.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »
The titular creature's polycount looks like it could be quite high once he grows larger. Might explain why the environments look rather sparse in comparison.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
Something I don't get. Cerny designed the system. He's touted as some beyond Carmack level genius.

And yet... he produces one of the worst looking "next gen" games.

Stylistic choices aside, the world just look so empty and bland.

I would not say that serving as the lead system architect and the lead game designer at the same time would be stretching one's self then but… I kind of think the guy's stretching himself thin

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2013, 12:44:05 PM »
Really?
/shrug Looks to me that way.

Either way, it would look a lot better with an art-style that's much more cartoony, rather than this half-way thing where the proportions are full on cartoony, but the world and surfaces look more realistic and stark.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
Something I don't get. Cerny designed the system. He's touted as some beyond Carmack level genius.

that's just GAF.

AMD's SoC tech was just reaching the point where it would provide an acceptable bump over last gen systems and they pitched this to both sony and MS. cerny said "can i have that one, that one and some of that" and AMD made it happen.

the last person to truly architect a console was crazy ken and we all know how that turned out. best leave it to the grown ups.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
Actually, seems like it's the changing scale in general. Skip around this video. The bigger you get the further it zooms out. Probably doesn't make sense to build high detail environments for when you're tiny when you won't see them half the time.

cool breeze

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »

yeah, maybe it'd be impressive if enemies and broken objects didn't vanish instantly.  as it is, I don't think it wouldn't be impressive on the PS3; the fixed camera doesn't do it any favors.

most other next gen games are underwhelming for differing reasons, but at least you can see what they've gained from next gen, be it greater detail or larger environments.

Bebpo

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »
I'll wait until I play it to judge it.

Then again I'm being overly optmistic about Knack because I'm a sucker for mascot action platformers.  Hell, I bought Puppeteer.

cool breeze

« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
still surprises me how similar the PS4 launch is to the 360's.  resogun, like geometry wars, will end up being the best launch game.  and xbox one has a more interesting launch for my tastes, with crimson dragon and dead rising 3.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »
I'll wait until I play it to judge it.

Then again I'm being overly optmistic about Knack because I'm a sucker for mascot action platformers.  Hell, I bought Puppeteer.

Why aren't you giving that same consideration to Deep Down -- a game which, if you're correct, won't even cost you anything to play?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2013, 08:31:33 AM »
Looks cool

I saw a 25 min playthrough too that looked ok as well :)

Yulwei

« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
I want this game to be good because I am always up for some dungeon crawlers but I just don't know. Capcom and F2P...  :-\

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:02 AM »
Dont think so B, unless there are "key areas" that are designed to wow and they link them to the generated map.

Kind of like D2 but in 3D.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
Loot? Loot. If the loot is good, the dungeon's won't matter much. I fully expect them to screw people with the revenue model though. Wanna unlock this treasure? You can use the regular keys, but I've got this key here that increases the chance of good loot...

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
Did he poke his eye out? Wow

But yeah, not liking the randomly generated part. Comes off as lazy level design. The game does look quite good, though

Yulwei

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
Damn, I feel bad for that Ogre.

This game is probably going to be garbage

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »
Looks like they're trying to be fancy with the combat at least. Provided that's not an optional strategy.