Author Topic: Emulation thread  (Read 17133 times)

Himu

Re: Emulation thread
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
NBA street 2 is godlike
IYKYK

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »
:trashLIST WARZ:trash

GameCube

:gladbron

Wii

:whoo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2015, 06:47:33 PM »
Good list - not that I endorse your blatant piracy
fat

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2015, 06:52:09 PM »
Hey, I bought a Wii U...twice :nintendo :snoop

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2015, 01:27:34 AM »
Trying to perfect each game's emulation is annoying af and I am too much of a lazy POS to tweak each game individually :idont

Overestimating one's abilities :itagaki

>.> Terrisus Scale of Video Game Accessibility & Required Efforts >.>

PC: emulation >>> PC: modding >>> PC: KB&M >>> PC: Xbox 360 controller support >>> Console: patches and installs >>> Console: playing off disc >>> Console: playing off hard drive (once downloaded)

Most effort <-------------------------------------------------------------- Minimal Effort -----------------------------------------------------------------------> No Effort

I've put off New Vegas because of dealing with mods, despite knowing about Nexus. Need a flabby :gaben emoticon.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2015, 01:51:34 AM »
Street 1 is like only slightly exaggerated, kinda like the first NBA Jam was compared to what comes later. 2 I think hits the best combination of keeping the basketball basics while not going absurdly over the top. V3 and after seem to have design that doesn't know what it's trying to do. 2 especially really knows what its design goals were even in the menus.

THPS 3 is like the last of the "old" Tony Hawk franchise, before THUG 2 re-introduces it as a separate mode. I think THUG 2 is the best of the games after 3 by far, but 3 fits with 2 and 1 in terms of how I can pop it in without a save and have a fun hour or two unlocking almost every level and then going back to do goals.

Actually, a few years ago, I want to say around 2012, I went online with THPS3 and there were actually two other dudes playing it. On the one suburbs map they were trying to vert move to manual to revert to grind to revert to manual to vert move from one half pipe along a fence/wall to another.  :aah

It had been like five years since I even played it so was struggling to pull off regular manuals and revert combos so I was just watching for a bit until they were like "try it taco" and I promptly pulled off every step until the grind where my guy fell face first and ground that across the wall and into the half pipe.

:bow blood streaks from biffing it :bow2

It's kinda crazy how they put out all of those games on like nine month dev cycles and did stuff like completely rewrite the physics engine from 2 to 3 to 4. I think 3 is like a bunch of stuff they cobbled onto Renderware so they could meet the deadline. And then when they started to add the cars and climbing and bullshit. And the levels got bigger and bigger.

Then they made the Call of Duty: Ghosts co-op mode thing before:

benjipwns

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2015, 01:54:52 AM »
New Super Mario Bros Wii will run like perfectly on Dolphin even with an Intel GPU.

I know this because my laptop has the bluestooths so I was like I'll try the wiimote with Dolphin, and it was the smallest game I had. It's like less than 500MB.

So I'd toss that in your list. It looks pretty nice at high resolutions kinda like DKCR. Or Kirby's Epic Yarn, etc.

EDIT: Plus you can map it to almost any controller in existence since it uses two buttons and exactly one motion control.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:59:17 AM by benjipwns »

Himu

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2015, 01:47:10 PM »
I only got to play THPS 3 psx version that my cousin got for Christmas. That was the same Christmas I got my ps2. By then, I couldn't care about Tony Hawk because I had MGS2 and FFX dammit.
IYKYK

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2015, 05:24:56 PM »
Going legit brehs.

Mario Tennis via VC is a serious reason going Wii over Dolphin. Game was awesome and emulates like shit.

My special fellow splurg:

GameCube compatible Wii. Getting an HDMI converter so I can hook it up to my component-less TV:

Player's Choice labels :pacspit
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:07:43 PM by Swishercrat »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »
RIP Neversoft.

New Tony Hawk is trying to appeal to my nostalgia, but looks awful.

I would be up for a new Skate though. Does that studio still exist?

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »
RIP Neversoft.

no.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »
See how easy it is to just do it legit? Piracy is for suckers. Nothing beats an original.

And FFNY > Vendetta
fat

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2015, 08:07:13 PM »
See how easy it is to just do it legit? Piracy is for suckers. Nothing beats an original.

And FFNY > Vendetta

I see some cases for it like if something never releases, but yeah the original hardware is just going to work as intended no bullshit.

And honestly, I like having a physical library.

:expert

Vendetta still good though? FFNY is $20 more. AKI wrestling games :lawd

RIP Neversoft.

no.

:goty

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »
Going legit brehs.

Mario Tennis via VC is a serious reason going Wii over Dolphin. Game was awesome and emulates like shit.

My special fellow splurg:

GameCube compatible Wii. Getting an HDMI converter so I can hook it up to my component-less TV:
(Image removed from quote.)

Player's Choice labels :pacspit

Def Jam Vendetta is a cool ass game. Sad and sorry that AKI was one of the last victims of EA before Electronic Arts started trying to redefine itself by being less alpha-predator.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2015, 10:16:18 PM »
On topic:

Blatant piracy is bad, I agree. That said, companies which basically don't re-release or screw up releases of their back catalog are inviting this kind of behavior. That's right, I'm blaming the victim... :cosby.gif

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2015, 12:14:21 AM »
Chances are if your game didn't physically come out in 2013 or later, there won't be new copies on shelves anymore. Which means a seller or vendor will be selling it used.

Used game prices are dependent on a lot of things, but I have no sympathy for used game sellers that price gouge the fuck out of their inventory hoping someone bites. If you pay $200 for Earthbound used on the SNES, and you aren't doing it for collection purposes, you're a sucker and an idiot. Buying a Wii-U just to play Earthbound legally would also mean you're an idiot.

Physical only media has a timeframe of acceptable cost equaling demand. I don't feel bad for used game sellers that lose customers that wise up to their bullshit. If game publishers like Nintendo moved past 2007 marketplace practices, they would make more money and collectors wouldn't have to shell out $50 for scratched Gamecube discs.
OH!

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2015, 02:53:20 PM »
Skies of Arcadia Legends is crack. I'd also recommend Baten Kaitos & BK: Origins. I never actually beat Origins because I got distracted by other shit going on in life and then the laser fucked up, but it had the better and quicker battle system.

Remember reading a while back that the V.O. for Baten Kaitos is horrible? That true? Otherwise, people seem to recommend both as good games. Doesn't it have a unique card battle system too?

Bad V.O. bugs the shit outta me.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2015, 02:55:57 PM »
Sound quality is the real problem. It's very tinny, but I think (strangely) setting it to mono fixes that. Otherwise it's no worse than other games from the era.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »
Hmm. I was never into JRPGs much, but mainly due to not bothering with them. I want to try out the genre, but I'm trying to only go with some of the best/or more accessible titles from the GC/Wii era.

I'll own soon:

Arc Rise Fantasia
Xenoblade Chronicles
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Are these the best of the best? Any noticeable admissions besides maybe Baiten Kaitos series?

Something to keep in mind: I'm not opposed to anime, but I also never really got into it either besides my Toonami days so titles like Tales of Symphonia got me confused whether I'd like it.

:idont

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2015, 03:21:23 PM »
You need SKies of Arcadia, but its kinda pricey (up there with Xenoblade)
fat

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2015, 03:32:13 PM »
Yeah, I spent too much for now, but I'll add it to my list. Space/air pirates :aah

Beezy

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2015, 03:48:31 PM »
Then why are you buying Arc Rise Fantasia? :lol

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
Thousand Year Door is the best RPG on the Gamecube. Combat never becomes dull, the right amount of challenge, really neat and whimsical settings, great writing, isn't too short or too long. Arguably the best game with Mario in the title.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »
When it comes to video game piracy of old generation games I don't understand how any gamer with a brain could justify guilt tripping pirates given that:

1. piracy has been the main form of cataloging gaming history for decades
2. most developers do not re-release, and in some cases, CAN'T re-release
3. sometimes prices of original games get ridiculously out of hand
4. gamers have a "future is better" "now is better" "the past is the past and thus inferior" policy, making games all about the now, and this makes games of the past always be interpreted as obsolete by the masses, which the gaming companies aren't going to re-release shit - besides top historical classic games - because gamers have deemed anything beyond the last generation unplayable

Factor all of these above and gamers AND game companies have been complicit in killing gamings history. Piracy is then, THE way to go for the most part and has been THE main source of cataloging game history.

Will NBA Street Volume 2 ever be re-released? Doubt it.

Will SSX3 ever be re-released? Doubt it.

Will we ever get Pocky and Rocky re-released? Doubt it.

Pirate that shit.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
meh. Let's just focus on the games or the emulation. No one is going to preach anybody into stopping piracy or continuing piracy. The emulation market exists. It isn't going anywhere. Emulation is cool and provides services that the original consoles couldn't.

Himu

« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »
Do you have Rhythm Heaven Wii on your list?
IYKYK

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2015, 04:12:59 PM »

Fuck! Demi :punch

There's an undub iso of the game and I kind of rolled my eyes thinking it was just weaboos being picky about the dub. Hopefully the dub isn't that bad.

Regardless, if the game's good, it's something I can overlook. This is video games we're talking about; bad V.O. is commonplace. I'll check out Baten Kaitos and its sequel eventually.

Good points about piracy. It's not black or white.

#4 is too true and really weird. I get this industry is built on technology and that's always evolving, but some games hold up really well and have nothing newer that's comparably better.

Some of these prices are ridiculous too. If the Wii U can run Wii games, isn't it a given that it could run GameCube games as well? Why doesn't Nintendo release digital versions of these games if they don't bother reprinting their older games?

Can't imagine it cost much with the Wii U's backwards compatibility built in (not really emulating anything). Nintendo gonna Nintendo I guess.

And no Rhythm Heaven, but I'll add it.  :hump myself by amassing such a backlog. It's gonna be fun though going through a lot of good games :hyper

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2015, 04:37:36 PM »
When it comes to video game piracy of old generation games I don't understand how any gamer with a brain could justify guilt tripping pirates given that:

4. gamers have a "future is better" "now is better" "the past is the past and thus inferior" policy, making games all about the now, and this makes games of the past always be interpreted as obsolete by the masses, which the gaming companies aren't going to re-release shit - besides top historical classic games - because gamers have deemed anything beyond the last generation unplayable

Factor all of these above and gamers AND game companies have been complicit in killing gamings history. Piracy is then, THE way to go for the most part and has been THE main source of cataloging game history.

Pirate that shit.

or u could just get a job and buy it. do u live in somalia? no.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »

And here you are recommending Baten Kaitos :lol

Dont act like that game is the pinnacle of VO
fat

Beezy

« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
Don't act like they're comparable. Arc Rise is bottom of the barrel when it comes to voice acting. :gurl

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2015, 12:51:04 AM »
They most certainly are comparable - at least Ryfia doesnt sound like shes speaking into an echo chamber
fat

Himu

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2015, 01:31:37 AM »

Pirate that shit.

or u could just get a job and buy it. do u live in somalia? no.

Pretty sure you were the one bragging about your cd tray colection of burned DC games. :lol
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:44:24 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2015, 07:52:53 AM »
I was a dumb yung kid full of virility and without money - I'm no saint
fat

Himu

« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2015, 02:32:05 PM »
Well, the games I emulate I tend to already own. :yeshrug
IYKYK

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
Guys, pls, I swear I'll buy 'em all :brazilcry

I don't feel morally corrupt emulating games I already own (maybe I'll do the Arc Rise undub), but it's just the whole emulation process that I find annoying. Tinkering with settings and configs chasing perfection.

Maybe I'm overestimating how many games have problems, but it seemed like most were certainly playable, but with a host of annoying glitches (like videos and menu overlays being fucked up in Street V2).

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2015, 03:12:26 PM »
the price is worth the glitches
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2015, 03:13:56 PM »
and for real as long as you can get the game running relatively smoothly, emulation >>> the real thing. being able to bypass hardware limitations and shitty dev decisions (fuck you save points!) is a godsend.
pcp

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »
>Overpaying for nostalgia...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't mind paying 5-20 bucks for some "classic game" anymore than that ... :comeon
[close]

[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2015, 07:15:45 PM »
and for real as long as you can get the game running relatively smoothly, emulation >>> the real thing. being able to bypass hardware limitations and shitty dev decisions (fuck you save points!) is a godsend.

This. Especially the save states. I got rid of all my retro hardware years ago and never looked back. Obviously there are some systems like the Saturn, that never got really emulated properly so I'm fine with that hardware but collecting old snes, n64, gamecube, systems etc doesn't interest me in the least. But playing the games is something I have interest in. And more power to those who feel the opposite and like to collect the stuff. 

Himu

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »
Dreamcast is one of the few systems I can see myself collecting again, because Dreamcast, unlike other systems looks AMAZING hooked up to HD. The other systems need emulation to look good on a modern tv, but not DC because VGA.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2015, 07:48:53 PM »
eh it does look good but even still save states and no disc loading is pretty hard to turn down
pcp

Himu

« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »
Too true. However, NullDC does not have save states. Demul does, but it's not as stable and requires more resources and more fiddling than NullDC.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
Dreamcast is one of the few systems I can see myself collecting again, because Dreamcast, unlike other systems looks AMAZING hooked up to HD. The other systems need emulation to look good on a modern tv, but not DC because VGA.

I have a Dreamcast hooked up to a TV with a VGA cable.  It looks OK I guess.  The resolution is pretty low.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2015, 02:49:39 PM »
Get this.

IYKYK

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2015, 12:45:08 PM »
Edit: Been getting off topic.

After looking at prices, I'm glad Atlus reprinted a bunch of their classic PS2 RPGs.

Nocturne costing $20 instead of the inflated AF prices from a few years back :rejoice

Going to mess with PCSX2. Is this a better emulator than Dolphin? Its site says 94% of the PS2's library is playable. Didn't know PS2 emulation was this good.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:57:12 AM by Swishercrat »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2015, 01:21:45 AM »
What the compatibility list deems "playable" may still have big flaws. Most major titles run fine, with some notable exceptions like MGS3. The only title I completed on PCSX2 was a Persona 4 undub which ran flawlessly, some slowdown notwithstanding (which was likely owed to my AMD CPU).

Dolphin is in much more active development, though PCSX2 seems to be picking up again. They recently started doing progress reports like Dolphin.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2015, 02:35:25 AM »
Seems like overall it's serviceable, but once I replace the AC adapter cable for my PS2 fat I'm going to use that instead. Most PS2 games are priced well anyway.

I wish there was a good OG Xbox emulator :'(

Stoney Mason

« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2015, 07:36:13 AM »
I played Dragon Quest 8 on pcsx2 and other than a few tweaks I had to perform, I thought it did well. I think PCsx2 is pretty decent. I just think dolphin is more impressive because its emulating "superior" hardware and it seems to do it better.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »

Impressive feat. Still a long long way's off.

qq more

« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2016, 07:26:03 PM »

Impressive feat. Still a long long way's off.
holy shit, thats really awesome so far.
ok

Stoney Mason

« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2016, 11:52:26 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2016, 12:19:29 PM »
What's the best arcade emulator out there now?  (With a GUI)
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2016, 12:38:21 PM »
MAME is still king as far as I know.

Here's a list of frontends:
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/MAME#Frontends

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2016, 12:47:43 AM »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2016, 08:54:02 AM »
Got a free Raspberry Pi 0. It's not much but I'm excited to setup and have a dedicated emulation box for my HDTV! :hyper

If emulation quality is good then I might spring for the latest Pi 3 so I can get full-speed PS1 and N64 games going.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2016, 12:58:16 PM »

Making nice progress.

benjipwns

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2016, 11:32:59 PM »
Five years later, Snes9x is alive!

http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23752

The main change is that they changed the CPU(?) core from the old hacky type that was different and doing speed fixes for each game to a more accurate universal one written by byuu (bsnes/higan) along with some other various updates and clean-ups.

nobody cares, zsnes for life :doge
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2016, 11:37:36 PM »
Been playing a lot of Star Ocean 2, Legend of Mana, Saga Fronter, and Breath of Fire 3 since it's been a while.

:piss Final Fantasy :piss2
dog

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2016, 09:28:37 AM »
Why are all emulator front ends so god damn user unfriendly? Anyone have any recs that:

1) Aren't a nightmare to configure.
2) Work well with the steam overlay/Steam Link.
3) Can be navigated entirely via controller.

Spent like an hour setting up Attact-Mode last night only to find out I can't trigger the steam overlay with it and it freaks my Steam Link the fuck out when I try to return to Steam. Then spent like two hours trying not to hang myself while trying to set up EmulationStation.
zzzzz

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »
I like Retroarch, but it gets more difficult to configure the more you demand of it (game specific configs, overlays, controllers when there's no pre-configured template). That said, it has an XMB copy for a UI and is completely navigable with a controller. The 360 controller works out of the box.

I have no idea how well it works with a Steam Link. There is a GAF thread where some of the devs hang out though, who are always helpful if you ask nicely.

Just found this, which is relatively recent and seems reasonably well explained:
http://blog.followtrain.tv/2016/04/steam-link-retroarch-ice-emulators-snes-genesis/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:29:12 AM by Rufus »