Author Topic: Game Boy Appreciation Thread ♥  (Read 55096 times)

Tasty

Game Boy Appreciation Thread ♥
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:13:01 PM »
On July 31st, 1989, the original Game Boy was released in North America.

It was originally packaged with a version of Tetris, and went on to sell 118 million units (when combined with sales of the Game Boy Color.)

Some of my fondest gaming memories were played on this unwieldily brick. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins and Pokιmon Blue defined my childhood almost more than the Super Nintendo did.

The original Game Boy was a very limited piece of hardware. It only had a four-color palette (rendered in various shades of green by the dot-matrix screen) and 160-by-144 resolution. Only 40 sprites could be shown on-screen at the same time, and no more than 10 could exist on the same scan line. Sprites were limited to 8-by-8 or 8-by-16 pixels, so any "sprites" you see larger than this were a combination of multiple actual sprites.

What strikes me the most when playing original Game Boy games is how timeless the music is. I'm an avowed fan of chiptunes, of course, but despite extreme limitations there are many games on the system with music I still enjoy listening to today. Pokemon is probably the most concrete example. It's no wonder that the entire chiptune scene is based around the Game Boy, with the homebrew program LSDJ for Game Boy being by far the most popular creation tool.

Why was the system so low-fi? As later competitors would attest, back in the day the most important aspects of a handheld system were price and battery life. Nintendo itself learned this the hard way with the launch of the original Nintendo 3DS, which cost $250 and lasted as little as three and a half hours on a single charge. The original Game Boy lasted 15 hours on four AA batteries, and the Color could last up to 35 hours on just two AA batteries!

And despite including a free copy of Tetris, the original Game Boy cost $90 at release (about $174 today.) There were two redesigns, the far smaller Game Boy Pocket and the Japan-exclusive Game Boy Light, and a pseudo-successor in the form of the Game Boy Color (I say pseudo in the same sense as the Nintendo DSi; it has a library of its own exclusive games, but many could still be played on the original system and the hardware wasn't a true generational leap.)

A big happy birthday to one of the most classic systems of all time.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 03:59:52 PM by Tasty »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: The Game Boy is 25
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
My dumb cousin broke mine. Stomped on the screen, then doused it in the bathroom sink. Only video game related thing I ever got for Christmas, senselessly destroyed. >:C

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »
My dumb cousin broke mine. Stomped on the screen, then doused it in the bathroom sink. Only video game related thing I ever got for Christmas, senselessly destroyed. >:C

Solidarity, yo :tocry

I never had a brick of my own, it was my older sister's but I played it a little more than she did.

I did get my own purple translucent GBC though.  :heart

Tasty

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »
I like how the original boxart shows this OMG TOTALLY FUCKING RAD TRON WORLD LIKE WHOOOOAAAAAH and the game screen is a four-color seemingly-1-frame-a-second puzzle game. :lol And the system itself is a gray brick. :lol

Ahh, late 80's marketing. :P

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »
I thought it looked really cool. The thing itself felt sturdy, too. Especially with four AA batteries inside. :heh All I ever played was Tetris and Mario Land though. It got killed before I could get more games. I do remember never even considering the possibility to get more games though. :lol I probably would have ridden the Pokemon wave, too.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »
I got a Gameboy with Tetris quite a long time ago, maybe late 1990 or 1991? It had a really good run, lasting probably up until the GBA came out in 2001.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:55:59 PM »
i had a game gear so this shit looked like ugly calculator games :piss2

:heh :ufup

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 05:00:09 PM »
I love how the engine noise cuts out when there are explosions going off.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »

:whew
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »
the gameboy was my real first game device and at the time it was the only "screen" allowed in my room, so I have a fondness for it.  have no many trash licensed games for it though.

Tasty

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
I remember using it once to trade some Pokemon with my cousin. After that I'd always try to get him to use it but it never took.

I think we might have battled with it, not sure.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »
I like how the original boxart shows this OMG TOTALLY FUCKING RAD TRON WORLD LIKE WHOOOOAAAAAH
You mean it shows the 1980's. Reagan defeated Gorbachev on a light cycle and they had to tear down the Berlin Wall so we could play Tetris.

Tasty

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »
I like how the original boxart shows this OMG TOTALLY FUCKING RAD TRON WORLD LIKE WHOOOOAAAAAH
You mean it shows the 1980's. Reagan defeated Gorbachev on a light cycle and they had to tear down the Berlin Wall so we could play Tetris.

Man, my history classes always stopped before we got to the cool stuff.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »
my sympathies to anyone else who suffered with one of these in its earliest years. the games in the late 80s and very early 90s were almost universally trash. you got to pick between licenced trash and shit that looked like unfinished nes prototypes.

Jeremy Parish started a website recently to attempt to list all the many forgotten game boy games and I believe he will eventually have impressions. sadly the list looks just as bad as you'd imagine.

fortunately the game boy hit it's stride in time, and had quite a few classic games for it. gbc, which I'd consider a separate system, was even better and had a library full of amazing games.
pcp

benjipwns

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »
The story of getting Tetris to the West actually is pretty cool. IGN or somebody's probably written ten or fifteen articles based off the chapter in Game Over.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »
i think these sort of anniversary are dumb as fucks but ehy i do have an history with the system, in fact i still own it, with super mario land, super mario land 2,wario land and world cup 98, world cup 98 is the easiest soccer game, just punch the goalkeeper in the face and score :lol
spoiler (click to show/hide)

i also once owned one of those pirate kart with "1000 games on it!" (there were just about 50 repeated over and over) but i lost it, it had some more obscure games on it like flipull

nintendo take on arkanoid alleyway

and battle city!

motocross maniacs

i fucking hated this game

this is one of my favourite gb game, the music is awesome! (even if the whole game is really easy and last less than 30 minutes...)

[close]

also yes, i did own pokemon, i did catch all 150 of them, i remember tauros being the latest pokemon i caught, i had to play the copy of a friend because he stopped giving a fuck halfway through, that friend also had pokemon stadium which made collecting them all a lot easier because by playing it you could get one-kind-in-the-whole-game stuff like charmender and omanyte

it's not something i'm proud off cause it put me on the same level as nthings :fbm

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:06:16 PM by bork laser »
<----

Tasty

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »
The story of getting Tetris to the West actually is pretty cool. IGN or somebody's probably written ten or fifteen articles based off the chapter in Game Over.

Reading up on this, I wonder what would have happened if Nintendo just outright bought Tetris wholesale. We could be getting the T block in Smash Bros!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »

I learned the Soviet national anthem through this awesome game.

I thought Tetris had the Soviet national anthem. :heh
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 06:46:52 PM »
James Bond 007 -- the lost Zelda game :rejoice

fat

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 06:50:30 PM »
final fantasy legend ii >>> pokemon
QED

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
oh yeah i remembered another game that cart had

and this

and this

[close]

man the gameboy had a lot of not-so-great puzzle games
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:05:26 PM by bork laser »
<----

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »

[close]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:05:45 PM by bork laser »
QED

Himu

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »
Tiny toon adventures kicked ass
IYKYK

G The Resurrected

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »
I remember opening up the styrofoam packed box and ripping through it to get to the gameboy. I was so happy to finally get my hands on Tetris. I hadn't yet got a NES system so this was my first gaming device. So many memories and so many fun games.

Have any of you seen the modified gameboys with rechargeable built in batteries and higher contrast lit up displays? I want one of those so badly so I can play some Metroid 2.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »
:lol what a blurry piece of shit that first one was
sup

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »
Tiny toon adventures kicked ass

the music for the cat character :lawd
pcp

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 06:56:22 AM »

itm

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 07:11:14 AM »
Best handheld ever.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
The Gameboy was actually the first post 80s game-crash system that I owned (we had an Apple IIgs during the 80s and got an NES after getting Gameboys).  As a kid, I went everywhere with it.  That old, ugly official Nintendo grey soft case was always on my belt and the Gameboy was holstered like a gun, ready to be whipped out and played at any opportunity.  I played the shit out of it and owned every model available. Even imported the GB Light.  Went through batteries like crazy, too, and usually had at least one replacement set shoved in the case.   :lol  No idea why the hell I never had an AC adapter for the original brick model...everyone else I knew had one.  But yeah, I loved this thing. 

Did not get disappointed with the Gameboy until the Color came out.  The hardware itself was great, but the game lineup started going downhill at that point.  Nintendo redeemed themselves with the amazing GBA, but TBH the DS and 3DS never hit me the same way that the GB line did.  PSP and Vita replaced them for me.

I had a Game Gear, too.  Overall, it sucked.  Games are what's important and the Game Gear had so much crap released for it.  Gameboy also killed it in the sound department.

I honestly had no idea you could link Game Boys and do multiplayer. I don't think I've ever done that.

I think I can probably count the number of times I used the link cable on one hand.  Everyone had GBs back then, but nobody ever did multiplayer.  If we were gonna do that, we'd just play a console.

I did have the camera and printer, though. It was surprisingly adept for the time (digital cameras cost $1000 and were .3 megapixels).

I still have a GB camera.  Loved that thing.  Loved making stupid slide show animations with it.

Good article: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/21/nintendo-game-boy-25-facts-for-its-25th-anniversary

The Work Boy sounds crazy, lol

I remember Nintendo Power had an article on the Work Boy and tried to pass it off as essentially a laptop replacment.   :lol
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:04:42 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 01:07:15 PM »
Don't know how much spoiler-tagging helps, if at all, but we can stop posting 6000 Youtube videos in single posts, guys?  It slows things down to shit.
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
I'm sure there's a way to automatically wrap spoiler tags around them.

Tasty

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »
It's amazing how massive levels feel when the resolution is so limited.

This level doesn't look very long, but when your field of view is constrained to 160 by 144, it feels almost endless. Whenever I play SML2 I always feel like I'm missing something when I beat a level, that I haven't "explored" enough, even though I've beaten the game dozens of times. It's very rare I get this feeling in modern games.

cool breeze

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
it helps that SML2 is pretty darn slow compared to other Mario games.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
Wario Land was great too :)

Tasty

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »
it helps that SML2 is pretty darn slow compared to other Mario games.

I look at it as a proto Wario Land now. Still a lot of fun even if it isn't that great a Mario game.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:48:27 PM by Tasty Meat »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
All you brick-holders were a source of envy to me. I started with the GBA.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »

[close]

These games were so fucking hard as a kid growing up
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 09:56:51 PM »
The Crazy Castle Conspiracy was a great episode of AVGN.

[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »
I happened upon ticalc a few months ago after probably ten years or so.

The Game Boy has definitely been surpassed on TI calculators. (I remember when they were using blurry GB rom sprite-rips in games.) Though some of the newer ones are quite a bit more powerful than the GB.

One of those teams that made some fancy GBC games started with calculator programming and moved over to GBC since it's the same processor and accidentally stumbled upon a way to get extra colors on screen because their draw method was based around the calculators rather than the "traditional" methods. (Or something it was like ten years ago brehs)

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »
I motherfucking made SHMUPS and played Street Fighter 2 on a calculator during my math class.

:bow ticalc.org :bow2

Dunno if any of my shit is still up there though. This was a long while back.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 09:16:57 PM »
OG Gameboy was p. cool at the time, but GBA SP is the height of Nintendo handhelds IMO.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 09:18:01 PM »
OG Gameboy was p. cool at the time, but GBA SP is the height of Nintendo handhelds IMO.

I'd agree if the shoulder buttons weren't so tiny and it had a headphone jack. As it stands I think best designed and most functional goes to the DS Lite.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 09:22:03 PM »
GBA SP + Backlit screen (AGS-101) is the best Nintendo handheld. It's also fully backwards compatible!

I'd give it to the Micro but that shit is so fucking small, the carts stick out like sore thumbs, and you can only play GBA games on it. If it weren't for the headphone jack it be a complete pile of shit. AWFUL

Tasty

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »
GBA SP + Backlit screen (AGS-101) is the best Nintendo handheld. It's also fully backwards compatible!

I'd give it to the Micro but that shit is so fucking small, the carts stick out like sore thumbs, and you can only play GBA games on it. If it weren't for the headphone jack it be a complete pile of shit. AWFUL

Really? Basically everyone I've seen online loves it. I never even considered buying one because the DS was already out, but even if I was then it was way too small for me.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2014, 09:25:14 PM »
Nintendo needs to drop the second screen and the resistive touch screen for the 4DS.

Just make a phone, basically.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2014, 09:28:11 PM »
The OG GameBoy Advance design + capacitive touch would be p. cool.

I wish we'd get an GameBoy Pocket or GBA SP design again but widescreen gaming is way too dominant. :'(

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »

Really? Basically everyone I've seen online loves it. I never even considered buying one because the DS was already out, but even if I was then it was way too small for me.

They're wrapped up in the "omg rare" factor of it and because it's so adorably small. I prefer the SP because it's more comfortable to hold, still quite portable, and has full backwards compatibility. Basically it's the ultimate GameBoy hardware.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2014, 09:32:57 PM »
I think the best handheld design ever was the PSP-3000. It was only hamstrung by the UMD drive, but that wouldn't be a problem now since it could just use flash cards like the Vita.

The Vita is nice, but it's too bulky compared to the 3000, and ain't nobody got time for that rear touchpad.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »
I think the best handheld design ever was the PSP-3000. It was only hamstrung by the UMD drive, but that wouldn't be a problem now since it could just use flash cards like the Vita.

The Vita is nice, but it's too bulky compared to the 3000, and ain't nobody got time for that rear touchpad.

PSP Go :jawalrus

All digital :aah

benjipwns

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2014, 10:19:30 PM »
I looked for some of my stuff but none of it was on there, or any username/e-mail I could think of that I might have used.

I assume they probably purged stuff nobody ever downloaded or maybe lost part of the database or something. It has been over ten years.

This kind of thing is on TI-83 now:

People are still trying to make Windows for it, this is for the TI-84 apparently:

TI-89:

And they ported Quake to the new TI calculators  :lol

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2014, 10:30:18 PM »
I'm gonna totally rip this article from USGamer because it's pretty good. I've cut and pasted my favorites from the list and I recommend checking out the whole article.

Quote from: Jeremy Parish, USGamer
The Best Classic Game Boy Titles

(Image removed from quote.)

Donkey Kong
Nintendo | 1994

Who in 1994 cared about a port of a 13-year-old arcade game? Probably not a lot.... but Donkey Kong wasn't just that simple (albeit legendary) coin-guzzler. After you cleared those four famous levels, another 100 or so opened up, each one a diabolical action puzzle that put Mario's skills and the player's brain alike to the test. In some ways, Donkey Kong feels like original creator Shigeru Miyamoto's attempt to make a final statement with his famous first character before Rare changed the world's perception of the series forever. As swan songs go, this one's hard to beat.

Gargoyle's Quest
Capcom | 1990

Ghosts 'N Goblins pushed the boundaries of arcade action games – a fast-paced, highly detailed platformer that debuted around the same time that Super Mario Bros. blew the lid on the genre – so it only seems fitting that its spinoff, Gargoyle's Quest, would do the same for portable adventures. Not only did this brilliant little action-RPG feature more elaborate graphics and gameplay than any Game Boy title before it, it also forced players to take control of their nemesis from Ghosts 'N Goblins, the annoying and deadly red devil. Arthur's bane proved to be quite a capable hero here, able to take flight and singe foes with bursts of hellfire. Challenging yet involved, Gargoyle's Quest set a new standard for the platform.

Kid Dracula
Konami | 1993

Sadly, Castlevania's outings on Game Boy weren't so great. The second one was decent, but the first and third? Don't even bother. No, the best Castlevania for Game Boy went under the name Kid Dracula – but don't be fooled by the switcheroo. This is totally Castlevania... just, you know, a silly version of it. You control a young Count Dracula, fighting cartoon versions of familiar Castlevania monsters in cartoon versions of familiar Castlevania settings to peppy remixes of familiar Castlevania tunes. Get the picture? It's whimsical and kid-friendly, but it's still loads of fun.

For the Frog the Bell Tolls
Nintendo | 1992

While it's not exactly import-friendly thanks to its involved storyline, this interesting Japan-only RPG could be seen as laying the groundwork for Link's Awakening. A charming tale of a hapless frog prince trying to rescue a princess before his rival prince beats him to the task, the story doesn't take itself seriously yet has a lot of heart. The game design is interesting, too; rather than boring players with the details of RPG combat, battles play out automatically based on your strength and health versus that of your opponents. Happily, a fan translation of the game showed up online a couple of years ago, so you do have an avenue available if you want to give it a go.

Trip World
Sunsoft | 1992

Possibly the most expensive Game Boy release in the world – the Japanese version sells for hundreds of dollars, the European for thousands – Trip World would seem far too unassuming and humble to merit such value. A curiously non-threatening platformer, it literally is a trip – a journey – through charming cartoon worlds in which few inhabitants are hostile or aggressive. Unless you get hung up on the sometimes tricky boss battles, you can easily complete Trip World in half an hour or so. Yet despite (or because of) this, the game has a wonderful, unique vibe to it – not to mention great graphics and sound. Maybe not $3000 worth of great, but it's definitely one checking out if you ever have the chance.

X
Argonaut/Nintendo | 1992

The "fox" in "Starfox" comes from the F/X chip that powered the game... but the X in F/X just might come from this game, a Japan-only first-person shooter by many of the designers who would go on to create both Starfox and its fancy coprocessor (including a very young Dylan Cuthbert). While laughable by contemporary standards, X was a technical marvel in 1992: A true 3D game running on the humble Game Boy. Yes, it's been eclipsed by many portable shooters since, but the historic value of this one means it deserves a place in any gamer's library.

Quote from: Jeremy Parish, USGamer
The Best Game Boy Color Games

Dragon Warrior III
Enix | 2001

The original Dragon Quest – renamed Dragon Warrior for the U.S. – may have sparked the console RPG genre in Japan, but Dragon Quest III defined it. With a huge world, an engrossing story, and the ability to swap character classes, this established the formula for most JRPGs to follow. And it was every bit as entertaining on Game Boy Color as it had been on NES – actually, more so, since this version was based on the refined 16-bit remake that never came to the U.S., offering superior visuals and refined (that is, less grindy) play balance.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Seasons
Flagship/Capcom/Nintendo | 2001

Two Zeldas on one list? Nope; try three Zeldas. The Oracles began life as a remake of the original Zelda before becoming two different games. Despite being released on the same day, the Oracles weren't like Pokιmon versions; the differences between the two were profound, as each game was a wholly separate adventure, with a unique story, powers, world, and even style. Ages feels like a child of Ocarina of Time, talkier and more quest-oriented, while Seasons hearkens back to the NES with a lean plot and slightly nonlinear progression. Both are worth playing, especially since completing both (in either order!) is required to find the true ending.

Metal Gear Solid
Konami | 2000

The secret best Metal Gear? Called "Metal Gear: Ghost Babel" in Japan, the Game Boy Color entry of the series feels like an alternate reality version of the PlayStation game, with a story that seems to take place in a parallel universe. Likewise, if the franchise had never gone into cinematic 3D, this is how it would have played. Despite running on much humbler hardware than Metal Gear Solid, it plays a lot like the PlayStation game and, aside from a tedious conveyer belt puzzle, is engaging from start to finish.

Shantae
Wayforward/Capcom | 2002

Published late in the system's life in tiny quantities, Shantae went largely unnoticed by the public at large until it was too late – and then it shot up insanely in price. Was it worth all that cash? Well, maybe not, but it definitely was a cool platformer. Packed with detail and great animation, it felt like a love letter to classic NES and Master System games: An 8-bit swan song. Thankfully, you can grab it for cheap on 3DS Virtual Console these days.

Super Mario Bros. DX
Nintendo | 2000

Unlike Super Mario All-Stars, which basically just gave the 8-bit Mario games a facelift, Super Mario Bros. DX added considerably more to the original Super Mario (and the secret unlockable bonus, The Lost Levels). New objectives, new modes, new multiplayer mechanics, the ability to play with wonky Luigi physics, even new collectibles inserted into levels – this was a comprehensive overhaul of Super Mario Bros. Unsurprisingly, the DX team went on to make all the Super Mario Advance games for GBA... but on one level, this was much better than the Advance games. No awful voice samples!

Toki Tori
Two Tribes | 2001

Toki Tori has gone on to have quite a rich and vibrant existence beyond the boundaries of the Game Boy Color, where it began life to tragic public indifference. A slow-paced but excellent little puzzle platformer, Toki Tori put a cap on the Game Boy's life by revisiting the genre that dominated the system's early years with style and sophistication. With brilliant puzzle design and shockingly excellent graphics, Toki Tori was an unsung hero of the GBC.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:34:28 PM by a slime appears »

benjipwns

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »
Metroid!

Pac-Man!

Ultima

GBA emulator on the new ones too:

Web browser for TI 83+  :lol

:dead

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »
The latest Game Center CX subbed episode is about Super Mario Land. Stream it here:

http://vidbull.com/embed-twg5vb5zk6a6-640x318.html

Quote from: SA-GCCX

http://www.sa-gccx.com/episode/super-mario-land[/url]

Who The Heck Is Daisy?

For his first portable challenge Arino will be taking on the Game Boy classic, Super Mario Land. Released alongside the Game Boy in 1989 this Mario outing did an admirable job of emulating its console counterparts and is perhaps best remembered for its fantastic soundtrack. While very short Arino will have to contend with a unique aspect of this particular Mario game, shooting stages.

More recreation center and less arcade, Chichibu Muse Park is today's TamaGe destination. While the park does offer a variety of activities Arino would rather take part in some virtual competition with the staff.

Arino picks the perfect game to cool off after a hot bath in the latest NES Box segment when he sits down to play some Ice Climber. Arino sets himself a goal of beating 10 stages in 10 minutes which could prove tough in this slippery platformer.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 10:52:35 PM »
I looked for some of my stuff but none of it was on there, or any username/e-mail I could think of that I might have used.

I assume they probably purged stuff nobody ever downloaded or maybe lost part of the database or something. It has been over ten years.

This kind of thing is on TI-83 now:
http://i.imgur.com/1x9Pq8p.gif

People are still trying to make Windows for it, this is for the TI-84 apparently:
http://i.imgur.com/rBmbvo4.gif

TI-89:
http://i.imgur.com/FEHBXQJ.gif

And they ported Quake to the new TI calculators  :lol
http://i.imgur.com/UHlKyu1.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/Brr2pke.gif

Metroid!
http://abload.de/img/79920z6i7p.gif

Pac-Man!
http://i.imgur.com/rBvEvQB.gif

Ultima
http://i.imgur.com/g0DkUMz.gif

GBA emulator on the new ones too:
http://abload.de/img/83960cbc85.gif

Web browser for TI 83+  :lol
http://i.imgur.com/blAJU5m.gif

:dead

Holy shit, they've got fucking Quake on a calculator now? :rofl

That's awesome, benjipwns. Thanks for the links.

benjipwns

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »
The new "nspire" calculators have beastly specs though:
CPU   150 MHz ARM (unconfirmed)
Memory   64 MB RAM, 100 MB Flash ROM
Screen Size   320x240 pixels

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2014, 11:02:24 PM »
The new "nspire" calculators have beastly specs though:
CPU   150 MHz ARM (unconfirmed)
Memory   64 MB RAM, 100 MB Flash ROM
Screen Size   320x240 pixels

Gotta crunch them equations, brehs.
©@©™

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2014, 01:49:05 AM »
Playing DrugWars in Algebra :lawd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugwars
WDW

benjipwns

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2014, 01:51:11 AM »
One of my first games was a rip-off of that with more, superior and "funnier" options. Because I didn't feel it captured the true thrills of being a drug kingpin and had a faulty economic model.

what a fucking cac
[close]

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
I did a TI85 game called Beer Quest. It got to the point where everyone in the class was playing it and the teacher totally bitched me out. Amazing days

I bought my game boy second hand and it came with DuckTales. I think I paid twenty bucks for it. I felt like I made out like a damn bandit. Dat music