Author Topic: GAMERGATE: Both Sides Have The Same Melt Value  (Read 177379 times)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Re: GAMERGATE
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2014, 06:57:01 PM »
Aren't these kids a bit late to the party with their revelations of questionable journalistic integrity? Pretty sure we figured that out on here a while ago without being a bunch of misogynistic sociopathic assholes. :teehee
Hi

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »
Aren't these kids a bit late to the party with their revelations of questionable journalistic integrity? Pretty sure we figured that out on here a while ago without being a bunch of misogynistic sociopathic assholes. :teehee

STFU, SEA LION
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »
Opened this thread for the first time today

who the fuck cares?
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2014, 12:19:38 AM »
I just don't understand the fucking outrage.  Some people had sex within the gaming industry?  Congratulations, welcome to literally every fucking industry on the planet

And if the faux-outrage has to do with her possibly sexing for press on her work, I still don't see the big deal.  Everyone has motives, everyone looks after themselves.  I just don't see the fucking point in all of this, and in fact it just underlines yet again how immature this goddamned industry is.
püp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:59 AM »
Maybe you ever stop to think that video games are supposed to be different? This is an industry about art and emotion, not something as vulgar and meaningless as sex.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2014, 01:07:51 AM »
Well, this was posted on 8chan's board for gg:

(Link due to the Big McLargeHuge) http://imgur.com/p2t0i2R

And was created around the time of DMC's reboot saga. It's kinda apt. Sure, there may have been a few people that were "WTF where is his white hair?" But a bunch of people were discussing and discounting the title based on gameplay/Ninja Theory telling fans "FUCK YOU" via character and Twitter slaps.

And then journalists continued to harp on the knee-jerk character reaction because it was the biggest thing (at the time) of the reveal.

It's kinda apt.

Rman

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2014, 01:30:53 AM »
I just don't understand the fucking outrage.  Some people had sex within the gaming industry?  Congratulations, welcome to literally every fucking industry on the planet

And if the faux-outrage has to do with her possibly sexing for press on her work, I still don't see the big deal.  Everyone has motives, everyone looks after themselves.  I just don't see the fucking point in all of this, and in fact it just underlines yet again how immature this goddamned industry is.

The beef is having journalists cover your game without citing conflicts of interests, which is par for the course if you're talking about journalistic ethics. 

Folks who tried to bring up the incident on Reddit, 4chan, gaming sites, NeoGAF, had their threads locked and deleted, which caused more nerd rage and started the whole Gamergate thing, which is accusing the games press of creating a supposed social justice narrative and colluding in that fact.

Personally, I don't care. I'm just too old and jaded.

However, I do find it targeting a no name indie developer as a almost a moot point.  Sure the indie community is incestious, but Gerstmann's firing was more apt at the corruption of the games press.

Additionally, it's also being used to go against all the progressive social issues that have entered gaming media coverage.  A certain segment of gamers say they tired of seeing aspects of feminism, check your privilege, and the like infect gaming coverage.

That's it in a nutshell.

I'm more with David Jaffe's sentiment.  If you don't care for Kotaku and company, just don't read them.  Create your own sites and cover what you want to cover.  I'm also uncomfortable using someone's personal relations as a catalyst for this.  It comes off really immature.

benjipwns

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »
I'm more with David Jaffe's sentiment.  If you don't care for Kotaku and company, just don't read them.  Create your own sites and cover what you want to cover.  I'm also uncomfortable using someone's personal relations as a catalyst for this.  It comes off really immature.
Typical SJW telling others what to do. #GamerGate is PERMANENT.

Rman

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2014, 01:34:20 AM »
Typical SJW telling others what to do. #GamerGate is PERMANENT.

lol. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2014, 01:39:07 AM »
Depression Quest isn't even being sold for money. It's completely free.
dog

Dennis

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2014, 03:47:41 AM »

Still too expensive.

Trent Dole

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2014, 04:35:46 AM »
Gamergate is an army of Remus-es? Sounds about right.
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2014, 05:40:54 AM »

Yeah, that's the part where the logic falls apart. Well, one of the places.

She's making a "serious game," which is a real term meaning games with a goal of improving societal or individual conditions," and giving it away for free.

Whether or not there was infidelity or an inopportune break-up, at its core this is all less cause for concern than any average publisher FLYING GAMES JOURNALISTS to Las Vegas or Seattle or Oahu to cover an Editors' Day event where they can see upcoming games, eat dinner, hit an open bar, and be flown to and from the destination.

Anyway, this whole line of diuretic feces streaming from the buccal cavities of entitled gamers worldwide is making me happy to not be working in dev right now.

thisismyusername

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2014, 06:34:39 AM »
yeah it's a giant picture, Oscar cares not

The short summary is: DmC is announced. DMC fanbase (rightly) gets pissed with the character. Journalists go "Y U MAD THO?" Ninja Theory goes "well, fuck you guys, Capcom is paying us to do this (which is totally within the reasonable logic but not very "PR"/spin. Tamamin was terrible about this)." Anyway, flash forward through the year, the demo comes out. People play it. People dissect it and think the combat system is shit--despite Capcom's help, may I add?--and pick it apart.

Journalists continue to "circle the wagons" on the DMC fanbase and goes "BUT YOU JUST HATE IT FOR THE WHITE HAIR" while completely ignoring that some people have found new things to critic/think is "shit" about DmC.

It's the same with Gamersgate (follow me here): There's some valid/"legit" points in regards to how the "games journalism industry" works and them circling the wagons and "lalalalalalalala can't hear you" about certain issues. I don't think "#gamersgate/#notyourshield" is a totally valid critic. But, I think like "Operation Wallstreet," there is some valid "idea" behind it. I mean:

Additionally, it's also being used to go against all the progressive social issues that have entered gaming media coverage.  A certain segment of gamers say they tired of seeing aspects of feminism, check your privilege, and the like infect gaming coverage.

Which is true. Don't get me wrong, there's a feminism problem in regards to gaming and the industry. But harping on "check your privilege..." doesn't make me want to support your cause, you know? I mean it's the same thing as Rock Paper Shotgun asking for money from "supporters" and the supporters going "we don't really want as many 'SJW'-like posts, that's not really in our interests" and some people going "well, fuck you. You're not their audience." How aren't they? They're throwing money at you and reading your site. But they don't want an influx of a certain type of article, how is that a bad thing?

...Well, that's a ramble and a TL;DR would be:

- Games journalists generally "circle the wagons" and completely miss the point of some of the hoopla on certain games/issues. That "internal e-mail ring" thing kinda proves this.
- I don't think a lot of people are against feminism/"SJW"-like elements of gaming coming in. I do think the beating over the head about it is tiring and not really helping "the cause" because it just irritates readers that want to read about a certain titles development.

- Which brings up: A major factor on why I stopped reading "gaming news" sites is that a lot of them regurgitate PR. I mean harping on the lack of female devs and "misogyny" in the gaming community/industry is fine and a totally valid point. But if that's the only thing you have in addition to regurgitating PR... maybe it's time for the "game journalism industry" to die, you know?

Which probably doesn't make sense because I'm rambling and my points are pretty soft. :/ Basically, I'm not really seeing a point of doing "games journalism" because there's really no "journalism" involved in it. And shoving "you want more females in game industry jobs, kay?" down peoples throats isn't exactly helping the "cause" for getting that done.

I think a more "silent" approach to just doing that within the industry and changing the "man-children" in the industry that treat women like shit would be the first step instead of beating a drum about it.

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »
3+ hours of the digra-darpa-silverstring media feminist conspiracy by some youtube philosophers.

it's as nonsensically awful as you think it is.

thisismyusername

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
er I was talking about my giant Lunar pic

Oh.  :'( See what you made me do, Oscar? Half-asleep half-coherent rant.  :maf

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
Two groups of assholes (gamers and SJWs) sniping each other? No thanks.

Can't wait for console gaming to reach that last step before death and be forced to change or die. It'll be like when rap had to stop sampling James Brown and other records due to the costs associated. Without an escalation of graphix warz will console gamers even care about games? Meanwhile PC gamers will continue to win.
:rejoice

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2014, 12:23:18 PM »
Two groups of assholes (gamers and SJWs) sniping each other? No thanks.

Can't wait for console gaming to reach that last step before death and be forced to change or die. It'll be like when rap had to stop sampling James Brown and other records due to the costs associated. Without an escalation of graphix warz will console gamers even care about games? Meanwhile PC gamers will continue to win.
:rejoice
The whole thing is just so self important. When really each group is miniscule and they're both just insufferable.
I wait to see what SquarEnix does with FFXV. If they do put it on PC then it's really over for consoles for me. I'll still play the Nintendo stuff though, but I view them as toys and not consoles.
que

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2014, 11:31:47 PM »

The beef is having journalists cover your game without citing conflicts of interests, which is par for the course if you're talking about journalistic ethics. 

Folks who tried to bring up the incident on Reddit, 4chan, gaming sites, NeoGAF, had their threads locked and deleted, which caused more nerd rage and started the whole Gamergate thing, which is accusing the games press of creating a supposed social justice narrative and colluding in that fact.

However, I do find it targeting a no name indie developer as a almost a moot point.  Sure the indie community is incestious, but Gerstmann's firing was more apt at the corruption of the games press.

That's it in a nutshell.

If the part I bolded was true, why are they attacking the developer and not the journalist? I'm not understanding the rationality with that.
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »

That's it in a nutshell.

If the part I bolded was true, why are they attacking the developer and not the journalist? I'm not understanding the rationality with that.

She seduced the innocent journalists with her evil feminine wiles.
dog

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2014, 11:53:22 PM »
https://medium.com/@upstreamism/to-fair-minded-proponents-of-gamergate-7f3ce77301bb

If you have any more time to spare for this ultimately pointless and cyclical nontroversy, the above is a great criticsm of the gamergate "activists'" approach and how misguided the movement is, not to mention the conflicts of interest that they themselves struggle with.
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2014, 07:20:15 PM »
https://medium.com/@upstreamism/to-fair-minded-proponents-of-gamergate-7f3ce77301bb

If you have any more time to spare for this ultimately pointless and cyclical nontroversy, the above is a great criticsm of the gamergate "activists'" approach and how misguided the movement is, not to mention the conflicts of interest that they themselves struggle with.

FTFA, best description of the problem of games journalism I’ve seen:
As William Randolph Hearst famously said, “News is something somebody doesn’t want printed; all else is advertising.”

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2014, 07:46:33 PM »
Probably my favourite thing in all of this is seeing GAF rally up in defence of Feminism and then in a thread about bringing a girl home on your first date to play video games is all "NAH BRO YOU GOTTA FUCK HER!"
Dem some false equivalents tho brother
<コ:彡

Takao

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2014, 07:46:35 PM »
I found the secret founder of #gamergate:

(Image removed from quote.)

What did they do that game? The graphics and that font ...

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2014, 08:07:33 PM »
I found the secret founder of #gamergate:

(Image removed from quote.)

What did they do that game? The graphics and that font ...

Mobile glaze.
dog

Rman

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »

That's it in a nutshell.

I'm just explaining their point of view.  I don't endorse it personally.  I was answering BrandNew's question.

Most are actually organizing boycotts of these sites.  The problem is that everyone gets blended together.  On the gamer gate side you have those who may be earnest, and are boycotting Kotaku et al who are then grouped with those spewing hate and misogyny.  On the other side you have those reacting to it and ignoring any criticism of inherent cronyism that may be evident.  It's just a clusterfuck. 

And I have no horse in this.  It's all silly.

As I said before, gamers who are focusing on journalistic integrity should've organized themselves during Gerstsmanngate.  That had bigger ramifications than some free indie game from a no name developer.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:04:00 PM by Rman »

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »
The people who are boycotting are stupid too and are going about it the wrong fucking way.  They have daily e-mail campaigns where they'll harass the fuck out of random developers via e-mail in some misguided attempt to stop them from publishing content on Kotaku, etc, under threat of boycotting all their future games. As if 10 idiots not buying their stuff will make them lose more sales than refusing to publish content on the biggest video game news sites.  :picard

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2014, 09:37:11 PM »
For some reason, I really like “shithead figureheads” despite its repetitive suffixes.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »
Gamers gonna gate gate gate gate gate.
©ZH

Trent Dole

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »

:teehee
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »
Hatsune Miku is #NotYourShield
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2014, 05:07:41 PM »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »
So I couldn't sleep last night. I even fucking tried taking a hot bath at 3am, thinking it would help for some stupid reason.

So I ended up reading up on GamersGate and NotYourShield instead. It didn't put me to sleep, but it was more interesting than I expected. I had made a lot of assumptions about it before. (I'll take the L now for finding it interesting.)

I found two somewaht useful articles on it. There's a lot of trash on it, but these two at least somewhat lay out what went on.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/25/gamergate-an-issue-with-2-sides/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/09/04/gamergate-a-closer-look-at-the-controversy-sweeping-video-games/

I always thought it was a bad look that it started over what Zoe Quinn did, but it seems nobody cares about what Zoe Quinn did at this point but us on-lookers. I still don't get why it is now that the issue of gaming journalism is suddenly worth questioning as its been this bad and this way for a long time. If it wasn't blowjobs for press, it was free games and access to parties thrown just to get good press. The main reason it exploded is the reason it exploded on GAF. People kept deleting the topics and discussion. So GamersGate is as much about the censorship as it is about transparency in the joke of journalism that is gaming press.

The #NotYourShield is a more interesting trend. That line I had no clue what the hell it was. I thought it'd be some angry dude bit about chivalry, but it turns out to be minority gamer backlash against others feeling they can speak for them and use them as a shield against criticism. That is actually something that has legs beyond vidya.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:46:00 PM by etiolate »

Dennis

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »
GamerGate raises some legitimate questions about the state of gaming journalism.

Unfortunately, some assholes can't help themselves from harassing individuals, especially women, and this taints the whole thing. And makes it convenient for SJWs to pretend that it is just about misogyny and ignore the shit journalism.

Trent Dole

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »
...many of which are journalists themselves! Very convenient for them isn't it?
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »
Pretty sure most of the planet can now recognize that "games journalism” is not actual investigative journalism, and is at best a place for critics, and more commonly just an extension of PR for anyone putting out games.

Conflating the ongoing harassment of Zoe and Sarkeesian with a slow-witted public coming to terms with press coverage of their hobby being the equivalent of Tiger Beat is a grievous error.

etiolate

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »
Are you sure you aren't just cherry picking examples to fit that view?

etiolate

« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2014, 10:28:53 PM »
The rabbit hole on this thing goes far deeper than I expected. I'm ready to bail myself.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »
Yeah, it’s disgusting.

The idea that we geeks had been picked on in school and didn’t learn a fucking thing about consideration, justice, temperance... it’s vile. It’s just fucking vile.

The people who are being driven off/choosing to leave are the very people the hobby needed to ever gain a shot at legitimacy.

So, hey, fuck this. I’m not interested in attending this party. 20 years in game development, and I’m retraining as a database developer.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »
No, I think I'm looking at the picture pretty clearly, but I could be wrong, of course.

I should stress I don't feel like discussing this, though. This whole shitstorm has been one of the most disheartening things I've ever seen in this hobby, and it's been enough that I've been considering just leaving any/all gaming communities and discussion. I can't say I always had the brightest picture of this hobby, but until now, I'd thought we (game enthusiasts) were mostly fairly decent, if somewhat socially inept people. I don't think that anymore. And I don't want or need that kind of toxicity in my life.
On Twitter you're probably screwed. Can't un-follow friends just because they involve themselves in this. The filter bubble is pretty reliable otherwise. Just play vidya. What little gets through is either easily ignored or some funny/sad one-off not worth following up on. No need to wade through the mud at GAF or elsewhere.

etiolate

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2014, 11:05:58 PM »
As for why smaller sites got focused with this: Because they started the name calling. That's a big reason why, but the other reason why is that sites like IGN and Time writers getting wined and dined for press is nothing new. It's no secret. People are pretty open that mainstream gaming press is glam mag level stuff, dorrito gate and all.

It's that indie devs and press are in bed with each other (figuratively and literally) is where there's some surprise and a need for disclosure. That people talking about this were then treated with 1) censure and 2) name calling is where things explode and lead to unfortunate cases like Jenn Franks. People who step in, perhaps a little unbeknowing of the full issue, and get caught in the vitriol flung back and forth.

It then gets into google user groups of press within sites like kotaku, ars technica and AV Club discussing what they should or shouldn't write. That's where the rabbit hole gets too deep for me.

addnedum: Some people are going to be jerks. Some people are going to use this to rally against indie games because.. why? Insecurities. Some writers are going to use this to push agendas (which is where I think the longer part of the story will live) and some will use this to promote themselves. That's kind of the nature of things now. You can organize a protest for peace in Palestine, and you'll get people coming to the protest with signs about tuition fees, legalizing marijuane and Ferguson.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:11:38 PM by etiolate »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »
Don't forget the renewed beating of the war drums regarding Anita Sarkeesian, because that's somehow relevant. That's the connection I still don't get. It's not like wanting to address the role of women in this hobby somehow caused what 'gamergate' is supposedly about, i.e. press impropriety.
And as Oscar said, there are much more egregious cases, fairly recently at that, surrounding the new curation features on Steam and how in-transparent and obviously scummy that can be when famous Youtubers get involved and flat out get paid to promote stuff. No word on that though.

Look at this guy's feed, if you dare:
https://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate

Raised by 4chan, I guess:
https://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate/status/517355110700433408
https://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate/status/517353702999732224
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:24:08 PM by Rufus »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2014, 11:49:08 PM »
I dunno, seems weird to look back on it like this, but I can't remember ever having a positive image of other gamers. after decades of shitty internet communities, whiny entitled fanbases, and devs that focus on titty armors, it felt like the non-shitheads were few and far between. hence why I play mah vidja alone, and troll whenever I go online.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »
Just the straw that breaks the camel's back I hope. Because as damning as this looks, it's ultimately impossible to tell how representative this is of the wider gaming audience. Cold comfort, but that's all I have.
Now, I'm well on my way to misanthropy, so this is less a hopeful "vocal minority" and more of a resigned "people are shit, it'll average out", but I guess that's not helpful either... Onwards to apathetic hedonism, I guess. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:31:39 AM by Rufus »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2014, 12:22:24 AM »
Out of all the gamers I know in real life, the majority of them are fellow retro gamers more interested in talking about the CIB copy of Alisia Dragoon they found at a garage sale, or the one guy at work who wants to talk to me about the latest western big budget game, then they are about talking about perceived injustice in games journalism and shields and fast food burger chains or whatever the fuck Gamergate is about.
^_^

« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:18 AM »
I'm thankful for my local group of friends who, despite being into the latest games and read up on game stuff, either don't know about GG or don't give a shit enough to give it a moment's notice. Even on my twitter feed it's mostly ever people making fun of how stupid the people behind GG are. I like to think that, as with every online "movement", its just a really vocal minority ruining things for everyone else.

GG's point is still completely incomprehensible to me. Their goal is the most "who gives a shit?" thing I've read in the industry, and all I ever hear them do is harass unrelated parties to get involved in the whole mess / scare people off who might have a dissenting opinion. For a group that "just wants to play their games in peace", they sure do stir up the pot a lot without provocation.

etiolate

« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2014, 01:41:33 AM »
It's probably best to sift the point from the various trolls and shit heels that exist on both sides. I don't really have a problem with challenging gaming press to get their shit together.

Like Iv'e said, if you want to know what Zoe has to do with Anita, it goes deep down the rabbit hole with related PR firms and feminism workshops as sort of bubble realities. I don't really know what to make of that, but I think some of you are quickly discounting the entire thing because it's easier and you've had shit experiences with gamers. Both sides have been rather ugly and stupid at times.

#NotYourShield is interesting because it could extend beyond games and do more with left-leaning mau-mau practices and various emotional manipulation. If you have warped the concept of empowering victims to speak up into victimhood being a source of power, the only way to combat that is to have the face of the victims you speak for tell you to fuck off.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2014, 02:17:59 AM »
Then again, you're probably more apt to believe that shit because you're a MRA fuckstick, so there's that too.

:hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1
yar

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
god there's another hashtag? I barely even understand what the first one is about.
Damn it people. Get it together.
que

etiolate

« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
the #notyourshield people are being used as a shield by the other side, though. i get what they're saying and all, but they're basically being cowed into serving the needs of one group by denying they serve the needs of the other. you want to avoid being a shield, don't stand in front of shitheads of any type.

But it's their choice. If they feel insulted by what's said, then it's their agency that's making the hashtag.

(Yes, hashtags are stupid.  Mainly because I doubt people know what the hashtag means. )

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2014, 01:54:25 PM »
Thinking this is about games journalism :lol
vin

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2014, 02:32:42 PM »
vin

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
<----

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
I follow a couple people on Twitter who ended up being involved in GamerGate. I don't respond (well, I did once. That was dumb) but I tend to read it all.

They appear to have moved the goal posts again. Last night they were just retweeting stuff about "fuck diversity. games are just for fun!"
野球

Rman

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »
Such an unfocused movement honestly, purportedly about journalistic integrity, then fighting the SJWs, then fighting ''censorship''.  Then new hashtags.  It's just so confusing.

Reminds me of Occupy Wall Street.

etiolate

« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
It's pretty focused on the journalism and the clique within the journalism circles. Everything from people actually doing the GG thing is about transparency. It's the backlash from journalists that involved the other parts. Like I have said, if you've been involved in any protest in the past ten or so years, then you know social media has changed protests to a tag along system. The concept isn't anything all that new. The sixties had tag alongs as well, but social media makes that sort of practice the absolute norm. That's also how hashtags work. You say what you think, then you hashtag it to belong to other movements. You organize a protest on the streets for one thing and ten other issues join your protest without you knowing it. Occupy Wall Street and the Arab Uprising joined up despite being on opposite sides of the planet.  It's not unique to GG at all.

Protesting is a culture itself. I wouldn't be surprised if the verbage of GG rallying cries aren't that different from some of the verbage and sentimentality of the 'social justice' side years back. People get juiced up to finally speak about what they want to yell about.

benjipwns

« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
Yes, it's a counterprotest that is co-opting the language of the side that was previously "winning." (And boy would I be a hypocrite and would people give me an L for saying anything negative about others appropriating the language of one group for alternative views.) And it's trying to attach itself to a legitimate ethics question.

The problem is, that the ethics question doesn't exist in "games journalism" for the most part. PC gaming journalism has seemed to be the "ideal" but that's entirely a function of the fact that they have products they can objectively measure, does this graphics card give me more FPSES or not, etc. I suppose this is why the people from those roots are the ones who seem to understand the distinction with the editorial/PR function that 95% of  gaming journalism is.

Games journalists were promoting the "SJW" that brought the backlash because it made them feel more important than being outside regurgitators of corporate advertising. And it allowed them to connect to "real" issues like "real journalists" and become more than people who talk about toys. If gaming media/people aren't taken and don't act "seriously", how will I...er my hobby ever be seen as something of value?!?

Zoe Quinn was the nexus of the flashpoint because it brought together the two issues of recent debate that most animate the one issue that gamers seem to spend most of their time thinking about: their social and cultural relevancy.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »
Thinking there are two sides to this :lol :'(
乱学者