Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 799739 times)

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #3480 on: February 09, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »
Won $20 from a $2 dollar Lucky for Life ticket.  :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3481 on: February 09, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
You buy lottery tickets?  post to the ... why don't we have a shame thread? 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3482 on: February 09, 2017, 06:20:58 PM »
O right every thread is a shame thread

PlayDat

« Reply #3483 on: February 09, 2017, 06:32:18 PM »
I’m sitting on a trove of triumphs over here.  I got my driver license last month after having failed my previous 3 attempts.

Last week, I moved into a new apartment for work.  It’s $150 more per month than my last place, but it’s a lot nicer.  This building has better insulation, a thermostat, and heat is included in the rent.  I’m not wearing a jacket indoors anymore.  Someone took their last one bedroom apartment between the time I saw the ad and requested an application.  I now have a second bedroom that’s probably going to stay empty for the duration of my stay.  I actually bought my car about an hour before entering my apartment for the first time.  Felt like a total baller.

The client I’m working with wasn’t fully prepared for additions to their staff so I’ve been sent home early every day this week.  In total I’ve spent about 11 hours at the office over four days.

There’s only one setback: my movers.  I saw that the company had bad reviews, but I decided to ignore what I read because I was pressed for time and I’m aware of the negative effect selection bias has on online reviews.  People whose experience with a service was decent - pretty good keep quiet.  Those who have horror stories love to share them.  I’m in that latter category right now.  My stuff got picked up on the eighth and won’t be returned any earlier than the 15th. My bed, desk, chair (I only have one.  The nature of my employment rewards a spartan lifestyle.), kitchen utensils, speakers, and a good portion of my business clothes are hundreds of miles away from me in Chicago right now.  It’s a small blemish on what’s been a pretty great few months.

The biggest triumph of all was meeting a neighboring family back in December.  This job has required me to relocate twice in the past year.  Both my current office and the old one were in places I had no contacts.  The old area was especially tough because it was rural with no public transportation.  I had been riding my bike to and from work.  There were colleagues I could have asked to drive for me, but I didn’t find anyone I could rely on to get the there on time each day and also commit to driving me home.  With the bike, I could consistently arrive on time as long as I woke up early. 

One night a woman stopped me as I was riding (actually walking the bike up a hill because it was so steep and curvy).  She had noticed me riding past her house in the mornings and offered to drive me home.  Her husband’s pickup truck had space for my bike.  He’s self-employed which gave him the flexibility to drive me to and from work for the rest of my time in that town.  I got to know them pretty well.  They have a daughter just one year younger than me finishing up her last year of college.  The couple took me to a Christmas musical their church puts on every year and in mid-January the husband offered to let me use his car to take the road test one more time.  All of my past driving lessons were with a private instructor.  Each time I took the road test, I also had to pay to rent the car.  After three failures, I resolved to start the process over by getting a new permit in the state I’m now living.  My neighbor insisted that I try again and let me practice driving the pickup on the way home from work.  We showed up to the exam location about a half hour early and drove around the area a bit.  Eventually, I took the road test and just narrowly passed.

Spending time with that couple felt like having a second set of parents.  I’ll never forget their generosity.  For some reason I keep falling ass backward into good luck.  I don’t know what I did to deserve this, but I’m grateful.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3484 on: February 09, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
Such a sweet story. God bless them, and you. The world needs more nice people. :uguu

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3485 on: February 09, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
Gratitude is a fantastic place to begin any amount of reflection. Good on you.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3486 on: February 09, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
Won $20 from a $2 dollar Lucky for Life ticket.  :doge
I bought a pizza, some beer, and two powerball tickets with my winnings.  :doge

El Babua

« Reply #3487 on: February 09, 2017, 09:01:57 PM »
Forgot to mention I won $50 in bar trivia last week. :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was in a video game bar, and I beat all the other nerds at video game trivia.  :doge
[close]

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3488 on: February 10, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
Got 2 interviews lined up for Monday - one of which is an in-person interview at a place that does frozen foods and school lunches (they are looking for a .NET developer), it's local and one of my friends from the local gaming community works in their IT dept. Another one is a phone screen for Canon. Their US headquarters is in central LI, probably the biggest employer in the reason ever since Grumman moved most of its jobs off.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3489 on: February 10, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Good luck!
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3490 on: February 10, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
It's not a triumph yet but I got called by another, new, employer I've been trying to set foot in for a year. A colleague gave my number, and I'm booked four days next week. Work is also coming back to my usual employer though restriction on freelance workers still are somewhat in effect. The two are linked because I work in a narrow specialized field and the whole market is rebounding thanks to a couple of clients spreading orders.

Would have been best if it all happened two months ago to allow me to renew my benefits (cash flow is tight and I can't afford to not have any), but if things stay consistent through late February to March I might still do it. I called in a favor and was hired to give hand to a friend a couple of days so as it happens I managed to have two full weeks in the first time since several months.

That other employer pays good (esp. on today's market), it's a 33% increase on my hourly rate on my usual place, but they're a bit difficult (several colleagues were blacked out temporarily or definitely at one point, not the best sign) and the work is to be expedited much quicker. Hopefully I can make a decent impression there.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #3491 on: February 13, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »
Over the past two weeks (almost entirely on the weekends) I've been working on an app idea I think is really cool and picking up an entirely new skill (React Native) in the process. I haven't felt this excited to work on a side project in years, and I haven't had so much fun developing a mobile app ever. My hope is eventually it could net me some side cash, though I also have grand dreams of it catching on and becoming a viral hit. :tophat

There's nothing new under the sun, but I think the mashup of these two ideas could be really compelling and fun. Lots of potential here. I actually had the idea five years ago but figured "Someone else will do it anyways, so why try." Well as far as I can tell that didn't become the case. :lol

Unfortunately an app isn't just an app - I'm going to have to code the backend/API too, which will require the requisite services, database, authentication, infrastructure, etc. It's pretty barebones from that standpoint but even "barebones" apps these days need a lot of bootstrap and boilerplate to make something functional. I can do it, but it's not really where my interest is.

My challenge now is to not let this boring stuff slow me down. As always with projects like this, the passion is there at the start but it dwindles to the point I usually give up or sideline it "for a bit" which turns indefinite. Hopefully in a few months I'll return* to sluttily hawk this shit when it hits the app stores. :D

*I'm taking another Bore-break, but like I said, hopefully it won't be too long. :) In the meantime I'll be focusing on my job, my side project, and Zelda (when it comes out.)

I'll be signed out but I can still get emails when I get PM's, so if you're interested or just want to talk my PM's are open. :heart
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3492 on: February 15, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
Got the job I interviewed for :rock

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3493 on: February 15, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »
Located and submitted three bugs in as many days for the middleware I'm using. Dev has been responsive and helpful, and I've been able to use workarounds until he gets a revision out.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3494 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:59 AM »
Located and submitted three bugs in as many days for the middleware I'm using. Dev has been responsive and helpful, and I've been able to use workarounds until he gets a revision out.

Despite the pain-in-the-ass workarounds, I managed to get a fairly complex, multistage animation working correctly. Fucking hell, this feels good.

Freyj

« Reply #3495 on: February 16, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
Over the past two weeks (almost entirely on the weekends) I've been working on an app idea I think is really cool and picking up an entirely new skill (React Native) in the process. I haven't felt this excited to work on a side project in years, and I haven't had so much fun developing a mobile app ever. My hope is eventually it could net me some side cash, though I also have grand dreams of it catching on and becoming a viral hit. :tophat

There's nothing new under the sun, but I think the mashup of these two ideas could be really compelling and fun. Lots of potential here. I actually had the idea five years ago but figured "Someone else will do it anyways, so why try." Well as far as I can tell that didn't become the case. :lol

Unfortunately an app isn't just an app - I'm going to have to code the backend/API too, which will require the requisite services, database, authentication, infrastructure, etc. It's pretty barebones from that standpoint but even "barebones" apps these days need a lot of bootstrap and boilerplate to make something functional. I can do it, but it's not really where my interest is.

My challenge now is to not let this boring stuff slow me down. As always with projects like this, the passion is there at the start but it dwindles to the point I usually give up or sideline it "for a bit" which turns indefinite. Hopefully in a few months I'll return* to sluttily hawk this shit when it hits the app stores. :D

*I'm taking another Bore-break, but like I said, hopefully it won't be too long. :) In the meantime I'll be focusing on my job, my side project, and Zelda (when it comes out.)

I'll be signed out but I can still get emails when I get PM's, so if you're interested or just want to talk my PM's are open. :heart
[close]

I've been meaning to checkout React Native for over a year now. We mostly use VueJS for our web stuff, but React is definitely the more marketable skill and I need to get some experience with it across the board.

Mostly I'd like to start getting outside of .NET a little. The new shittm is really fun, but most .NET jobs are maintaining legacy big balls of shit.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3496 on: February 17, 2017, 12:24:58 AM »
fifth times the charm in dark souls

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3497 on: February 17, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »
Decided to buy a motorcycle again, and was able to make it sound like a good idea. All it took was upping my AD&D insurance. Peak adult moment.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3498 on: February 17, 2017, 09:32:50 PM »
Can I have your kidneys? 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3499 on: February 18, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
cooked a pound of salmon for breakfast. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3500 on: February 22, 2017, 09:12:06 PM »
Recently had some foundation work done that opened up some space in my basement. Just roller bladed for the first time in ages

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3501 on: February 23, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
They have insurance for Advanced Dungeons and Dragons?  :doge
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3502 on: February 23, 2017, 10:24:51 AM »

If your Dark Elf has to visit a priest to get uncursed, there's a 25 gold co-pay.
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3503 on: February 23, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »
Our interest free loan to the fed/state is netting us about $4k. I'm getting a new mattress and clearing up some debt. :money
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3504 on: February 23, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
Recently had some foundation work done that opened up some space in my basement. Just roller bladed for the first time in ages

There is a joke in here about having to redo your basement just to be able to roller blade without anyone knowing.  Also what's the hardest thing about rollerblading? 
Telling your parents you're gay.   
[close]

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3505 on: February 24, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
I had an interview today for a tech manager position at a very large health food company whose offices are local. Punched above my weight when I applied but I actually went in and I felt it went decent enough. At least there was no technical grilling. But of course they have a bunch of other interviews to conduct...

Still waiting to hear back from Canon and still couldn't get the other job offer to budge on salary.

I HATE interviews...  :-\
^_^

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #3506 on: February 24, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »
Triumph: Offered a new job with more pay and leadership opportunities

Struggle: Already thinking about how I'm going to fuck it up
zzzzz

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #3507 on: February 24, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »

It only covers you for health problems related to diabetes, acne and vitamin D deficiency.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3508 on: February 25, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
Got drunk and watched surf ninjas last night

so good
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3509 on: February 25, 2017, 02:06:48 PM »
Have lost 25 pounds since I changed up my diet late last year!   :o
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3510 on: February 25, 2017, 02:34:47 PM »
Congrats dude!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3511 on: February 25, 2017, 05:58:55 PM »
Gonna pick this Virago 1100 up when I get back from Denver next week

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3512 on: February 25, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »
You're keeping that wolf howl sunset motif, right?

Right?
rub

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3513 on: February 25, 2017, 07:12:08 PM »
Uh fuck yeah I am

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3514 on: February 26, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
I came to post me and the wife decided to get a Toyota Auris Hybrid, which will be the first car we'd ever own (at 33/36) and I'm super happy we can afford to be green (a bit)

but you got fucking wolf on a bike man :rock

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3515 on: February 26, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »
Took Friday off from work to make a second attempt at carpentry. I built a workbench that turned out way better than my first attempt at a table deal 6 or so years ago.

35 inches tall, 8 feet wide, 30 inches deep. Two shelves on the bottom and the top is maple oak. Everything came out perfectly except one part. I needed a 1 inch over hang so I had to do a cutout around the legs on the top. 6 7/8 inches on each side. Somehow I fucked up (probably tired, definitely careless) and measure 8 7/8 on the right side. It was literally the last step before screwing the top on. But if that's the worst thing for this project I can live with that.

Beezy

« Reply #3516 on: March 01, 2017, 11:26:14 PM »
I just got back home from spending 5 days/nights in New Orleans during Mardi Gras with 19 other people. I'm so in love with that city.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3517 on: March 02, 2017, 12:22:25 AM »
Getting back into Maya and feeling pretty good about it. All the skills that atrophied when I was stuck in management are returning. Looking forward to learning NEW stuff.

Oblivion

« Reply #3518 on: March 02, 2017, 04:46:36 AM »
I've done video editing on and off over the years as work (though not consistently by any means), but up until today, it was always limited to either boring stuff like logging and organizing clips, or modification/repair work.  I didn't take raw video footage and cut and splice things together to form some kind of cohesive story or narrative. In other words, I never did any of the things that you would generally think of whenever you think of video editing. Stuff like that, the actually fun and cool stuff would be handled by the lead editor.

But that changed yesterday. For the first time ever, I got a chance to actually do some CREATIVE video editing, and made my first trailer. The final product was only a minute long, and admittedly, it wasn't a huge undertaking by any means, but it was still something I was very excited about. It's nice to feel like you're actually substantively contributing to something instead of just doing grunt work all the time. :rock

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3519 on: March 02, 2017, 08:34:06 AM »
Getting back into Maya and feeling pretty good about it. All the skills that atrophied when I was stuck in management are returning. Looking forward to learning NEW stuff.

wtf so many likes, how many nerds do we have on this forum

Pretty sure internet fora are the specific province of nerds. Before you bring up TheColi or Bodybuilding.com, it's just a matter of what we choose to be nerdy about.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3520 on: March 02, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
My current triumph: liked a post to spite Ruzbeh
🍆🍆

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3521 on: March 02, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
Spiteful likes. :lawd

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3522 on: March 02, 2017, 02:03:37 PM »
Made it through a grueling, 3 hour long interview with 5 different people, and actually managed to do pretty decent on all the tech questions asked. Much less fuckups and blank stares than usual.
^_^

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #3523 on: March 02, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »
Hey, my account got authorized finally. That counts, right?

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3524 on: March 02, 2017, 10:53:42 PM »
Applied for two jobs. One I may have no chance of getting, the other is 50/50 and would get me out of the company that I'm currently working for. I hate Cover Letters and writing resumes. I always feel so dumb doing those. "I have no skills and would like to get out of retail-hell. Please hire me, maybe?" :doge

This is a "triumph" for me as I look at job offerings go "maybe I could do that" then suddenly go "nah, they wouldn't consider me" and bin the application.

Here's hoping I can climb over this wave of apathy tomorrow to attempt this again? :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3525 on: March 02, 2017, 10:57:20 PM »
Pay check was just shy of 5000$ Feels good man frog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3526 on: March 02, 2017, 11:53:04 PM »
Went to Casa Bonita

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3527 on: March 03, 2017, 01:32:45 AM »
Applied for two jobs. One I may have no chance of getting, the other is 50/50 and would get me out of the company that I'm currently working for. I hate Cover Letters and writing resumes. I always feel so dumb doing those. "I have no skills and would like to get out of retail-hell. Please hire me, maybe?" :doge

This is a "triumph" for me as I look at job offerings go "maybe I could do that" then suddenly go "nah, they wouldn't consider me" and bin the application.

Here's hoping I can climb over this wave of apathy tomorrow to attempt this again? :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge

Good work, TIMU. :)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3528 on: March 04, 2017, 10:34:39 AM »
Had my first three days at the new job, went well and passed some training.

After work on friday there was champagne, cake and rocket league at work, my ceo is kicked my ass. Already downloafed it at home to practice.

Now in a hotel with the miss in our first weekend away from our little girl. Booked a nice restaurant recommended in the michelin guide.

Also my father in law had a cancer scare but was cleared a few days back.

What a week :rejoice

Have a slight cold but don't care :rejoice

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3529 on: March 05, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
Volunteering to answer phones for a local televised telethon for disabled kids in my county today.
rub

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3530 on: March 05, 2017, 10:45:17 PM »
Friends throw me and another friend a birthday party and it was great.  I spent a lot of my late teens and early twenties feeling so alone and I feel absolutely grateful for having the friends I have now. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3531 on: March 06, 2017, 03:44:15 AM »
Awwwman thats nice :)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3532 on: March 07, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »

wtf so many likes, how many nerds do we have on this forum

Pretty sure internet fora are the specific province of nerds. Before you bring up TheColi or Bodybuilding.com, it's just a matter of what we choose to be nerdy about.

Solved a problem with proprietary (SLDPRT) model conversion by using the free version of an Autodesk app (Fusion 360) to spit out an intermediate format (STEP) which I can use in Maya.

::) Thank you, Autodesk, for not supporting the native file formats of your own products within other products despite overlapping feature sets / ::)

Oblivion

« Reply #3533 on: March 08, 2017, 01:38:01 AM »
Friends throw me and another friend a birthday party and it was great.  I spent a lot of my late teens and early twenties feeling so alone and I feel absolutely grateful for having the friends I have now.

You also have us, Arvie. :heart

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3534 on: March 08, 2017, 01:51:21 AM »
Finally started exercising! Himu would've been so proud of me. :'(

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3535 on: March 08, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »
what exercises??

Brehvolution

« Reply #3536 on: March 09, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

I had to special order this from my local establishment. Last time I was in Albany, the bartender at the hotel talked this up to me. I was a little hesitant at $15 a pour, but it was good enough I ordered another round and then bottle of my own.
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3537 on: March 09, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »
Getting an unpeated islay scotch SMH

Have you tried bruichladdich's Port Charlotte? 

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3538 on: March 09, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »
what exercises??

(Image removed from quote.)
Yes, this! I warmed up on a bike for a bit and then did some stretches before squatting in different ways. Glad I was alone in the gym because I was watching how-to on Youtube while there, trying to do it right. :lol

Brehvolution

« Reply #3539 on: March 10, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »
Getting an unpeated islay scotch SMH

Have you tried bruichladdich's Port Charlotte?

I'm not a big fan of the peat. It was my first experience with bruichladdich anything. I've never even heard of the name before I was at that bar.

Sadly, since I've had the bottle home, I put it in the liquor cabinet and forgot it was there. It hasn't been opened yet.  :snoop
[close]
©ZH