Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 787845 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #3720 on: May 23, 2017, 12:13:53 AM »
Its just it looked like a real equation someone in history might come up with, so it could go either way.

Oblivion

« Reply #3721 on: May 23, 2017, 12:51:17 AM »
Was any event that happened in your first year on one of your tests in the last year?

You bastard. Stop ruining my big moment.  :maf :'(

let me see based on the standard rule of history study, minus seven carry the five, multiply by e, he should have just started getting past 9/11 near the end of his degree

maybe Iraq War

Yes, that one.  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:55:56 AM by Oblivion »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3722 on: May 23, 2017, 12:56:36 AM »
 Stop ruining his big moment.

Oblivion

« Reply #3723 on: May 23, 2017, 01:01:50 AM »
Back in PoliGAF I thought you already had an advanced degree for some reason. I must have been thinking of Chichikov.

Nah. I mean, I've been studying American history/politics pretty deeply since like 2008 (outside of school), but yeah, formally never got my degree until now.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #3724 on: May 25, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
I met this dude yesterday:

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #3725 on: May 26, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »
That's amazing. Did you get to talk to him at all?

My triumph is very minor in comparison. I slept like 11 hours last night, and it was awesome. I don't want to make a habit of going to bed at 9, but I can see why people do it.

A bit, mostly small talk. Told him he was the first president I voted for, and he laughed about how that made him feel old. Pleasantries about the event we were at, etc. He shook my hand the entire time I talked to him, though, must be a politician thing I guess. Hillary was there for all of 30 seconds and GTFO without saying hi to anyone.  ;)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3726 on: May 26, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
I'm in love with pineapple hard cider 🍍 🍻

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3727 on: May 26, 2017, 11:22:35 PM »
oh no, pineapple hard cider told me he was just trying to keep things casual. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3728 on: May 27, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »
Got rid of my old car for a new one.  Old car ran great but had 156,000 miles, was 10 years old, and I always had a sneaking suspicion that it would shit the bed at the worst possible moment.  This is the first new car I've ever owned.

Although I'm now officially in debt again :brazilcry
🍆🍆

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3729 on: May 27, 2017, 10:20:44 PM »
What's the new whip?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3730 on: May 28, 2017, 12:10:26 AM »
I found my high school diploma, which I knew I achieved but didn't realize there was an actual physical copy of. My HS wanted like 200$ as part of the graduation package for cap and gown, the diploma, and the yearbook, and since I didn't walk I never bothered paying, so I assumed they just never sent it to me. I asked my dad about it, and apparently they mailed it to our home address like a year after I graduated anyway. I drop kicked it into a lamp and I broke the lamp

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3731 on: May 28, 2017, 01:13:52 AM »
Got rid of my old car for a new one.  Old car ran great but had 156,000 miles, was 10 years old, and I always had a sneaking suspicion that it would shit the bed at the worst possible moment.  This is the first new car I've ever owned.

Although I'm now officially in debt again :brazilcry

what car?

Oblivion

« Reply #3732 on: May 28, 2017, 04:05:03 PM »
I just had sex with a woman who required two hands to cup each of her titties.  :rejoice

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3733 on: May 28, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
that saggy eh?  Try holding with one hand and tit just runs through your fingers.  Like a non-newtonian fluid.  Good fun.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3734 on: May 28, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
Even though I am happily single I do miss grabbing a nice big pair of boobs.  :noah

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3735 on: May 28, 2017, 05:54:11 PM »
What's the new whip?

Not my picture but the same car (2017 Mazda 6)
🍆🍆

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3736 on: May 28, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
Good pick. I have the little brother of that after getting out of an aging European turbo money pit

zoom-zoom all day long.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3737 on: May 29, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
nice car but consider buying hybrid/electric when you splurge like that  :-[

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3738 on: May 30, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
I went scuba diving in Costa Rica on Saturday.  That shit was balls the wall amazing.  Blew my fucking mind!  We practiced some basics in a swimming pool for a few hours in the morning and then by 10am we were loaded up in a boat and off the coast to do a 45 ft dive.  The waves were super rough for the tiny boat we were on and it was me, my wife, my mom and my sister.  We all got really sick waiting to get in the water.  And then when we got in the water the waves were crashing over us really hard and throwing us all into each other and it was really uncomfortable.  My mom bailed out before even going under water, my wife bailed out after like 5 feet down and my sister bailed out at 15 ft. 

I was by myself with an instructor and I was fucking freaking out the whole way down.  The water was green and there was little visibility.  Up, down, left, right it all just looked like endless green and I started getting claustrophobic.  He was signing for me to just breath calmly and so I was concentrating on breathing trying to relax.  At one point I was concentrating so hard that he thought I had passed out or something.  He started to shake me and I had to give him the ok signal to tell him I'm alright.  A few times I gave the signal to go back up and he would shrug and put his hands out like "but why?" and I realized they didn't give me a signal for "I'M JUST FREAKING THE FUCK OUT MAN".  and then he pointed down and I could see the ocean floor and I felt much better.  We got down and it was all gravy from there.  Saw some lobsters, beautiful fish, some apparently super rare sting ray that blew all the advanced peoples mind when I got up there ("people dive for years here trying to see one!") and just beautiful, beautiful scenery. 

We did a second dive to 60 feet and it was so fucking awesome.  There was a surge that would just toss you all around.  The instructor was moving rocks and looking for eel hideouts and stuff.  Saw a fish that looked like a rock until you touched it and it opened its eye.  That shit was life changing and mind blowing.  So now I'm reading up on what I need to do to get certified.  Seems like it's pretty easy and some beginner equipment is relatively cheap.  I think I'm going for it!

Tasty

« Reply #3739 on: May 30, 2017, 07:57:24 PM »
I bought a keyboard two years ago and have been trying to save up for lessons but other things always take that money away. :goty2

Pretty much my lifelong dream to learn to play piano well.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3740 on: May 30, 2017, 08:14:25 PM »
Guys who play the piano. :lawd

Tasty

« Reply #3741 on: May 30, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #3742 on: May 31, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
I might actually have gainful employment come January, after what appears will be 4 months of unemployment/scooping ice cream for scraps.

so, update on this

This job was only contracting me for 30 hours a week for 6 months.  They liked me so much that they offered me a fulltime position with great benefits -- I start basically immediately.  And I'm now done with that awful service job now.
püp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3743 on: May 31, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
Pro: Got laid for the first time in months
Con: It was with my soon-to-be-ex husband

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3744 on: May 31, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »
Pro: Got laid for the first time in months
Con: It was with my soon-to-be-ex husband

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3745 on: June 01, 2017, 04:47:49 PM »
Has anyon ever agreed with dufus on anything?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #3746 on: June 02, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »
Pretty much got offered 25 to 30 (depending on some things, and my boss hasnt been completely clear on it, but almost said it) hours a week, with the possibility of substitute work at the same time today, which should easily get me up to around full time.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But now the problem is, I got days booked for the 4 first days I am supposed to be back (if they actually do offer me this), to go watch Dillinger in Germany, which I am not missing. Struggling to figure out when to bring up that i'm not there for the first week. Life is a semi struggle.
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3747 on: June 03, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »
Pleasantly surprised my shitty laptop runs gamecube games without any problems

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3748 on: June 03, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »
I don't care what anyone says about the spraying, Sunshine had some great platforming

Tasty

« Reply #3749 on: June 04, 2017, 01:36:03 AM »
Thanks to the power of RSS and Firebase, I should have a working version of this tomorrow:

And I only started coding it Saturday afternoon.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3750 on: June 04, 2017, 01:58:06 AM »
Is that a music player you're making to develop your skills?

Tasty

« Reply #3751 on: June 04, 2017, 03:28:07 AM »
It's sorta a project to learn Firebase better, but overall it's just something I'm making to scratch my own itch.

ChipMusic.org is about 80% Creative Commons chiptunes but there's no way to do anything but play one song at a time on the actual site. So I'm basically working on a web app music player for it. Might make some native apps down the line too.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3752 on: June 06, 2017, 01:01:43 AM »
Bought this:

I wanted a project pin.
rub

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3753 on: June 12, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
a website put my track in their tracks of the week playlist so thats cool also did an interview earlier with a website i used to write for ages ago where I just navel gazed. T'was cool.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3754 on: June 12, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »
My boss at work let me know that I've been doing really well at my job (it's been nearly 2 months) and I'm off to a great start. He said if it were up to him, he'd give me a raise right away but unfortunately he can't. Still, pretty cool. I'm actually pretty happy at my job so far, nice people, interesting work, it's cool working for a large company that's a household name, and of course all the Japanese influence speaks to my inner weeaboo.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3755 on: June 12, 2017, 07:52:10 PM »
My boss at work let me know that I've been doing really well at my job (it's been nearly 2 months) and I'm off to a great start. He said if it were up to him, he'd give me a raise right away but unfortunately he can't. Still, pretty cool. I'm actually pretty happy at my job so far, nice people, interesting work, it's cool working for a large company that's a household name, and of course all the Japanese influence speaks to my inner weeaboo.

That's always a good moment to follow-up and ask what's the timeline for pay adjustments, or a retroactive signing bonus. ;-)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #3756 on: June 12, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
I've lost 30ish pounds since the beginning of the year, so that's cool I guess.
yar

Freyj

« Reply #3757 on: June 18, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
So I've been job hunting for about 7 months now. Really tried hard to break into remote work without much success.

Fast forward to last week and by Tuesday morning I had 6 interviews scheduled for the week and twice as many email conversations going on to schedule more. Single page, highly skimmable resume with a blog link took my response rate above 80%.

Ended up with multiple offers by Friday and was able to use that to negotiate a pretty decent raise where I wasn't really expecting one. I'm finally free from this nightmare hellscape.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3758 on: June 19, 2017, 01:52:20 AM »
Washed and waxed car yesterday, today someone asked if the car is brand new aaawww yissss

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3759 on: June 19, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
a website put my track in their tracks of the week playlist so thats cool also did an interview earlier with a website i used to write for ages ago where I just navel gazed. T'was cool.

http://truantsblog.com/2017/interview-marks/

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3760 on: June 19, 2017, 09:47:57 PM »
http://jalopnik.com/your-unbelievable-tales-of-the-sketchiest-cars-you-ever-1796220219

Had my car woes story posted on jalopnik (same username). Feeling gud right about now.

Also bought a ticket for a Rome/Paris trip. That's good too.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3761 on: June 19, 2017, 09:59:28 PM »
Got this motorcycle over 100 mph for the first time and lived  :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3762 on: June 19, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »

:-\
I love riding, started on 50cc dirtbikes when I was 8 years old, all offroad in the desert. Rode up to 750cc, but my love is for 500s. So much fun.

But as a dad there's no way I want to risk my life like that these days.

Friend of mine who worked game audio development was riding near his home in Sausalito. Some idiot in an SUV backed out of their driveway, didn't see him. Three weeks in a coma, followed by death.

Last time I looked, something like 40% of injury accidents with a motorcycle involved, the rider was not at fault.

Sorry to be a downer. Hope you'll ride safely. Take classes, if you haven't already.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3763 on: June 19, 2017, 11:18:37 PM »
This was on open highway for a short burst before shrinking back down to old man riding :lol

Yeah I've taken classes

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3764 on: June 20, 2017, 08:18:48 AM »
I'm lucky to have ridden about 80,000 miles so far between my 3 bikes and been accident free for the last 4 years.  The most dangerous places I've encountered are neighborhoods and small streets.  Less room to maneuver and a lot more people entering the road.  it seems like people are more at ease and so less aware of their surroundings in those areas.  Again though I feel lucky that nothing has happened to me yet.  I've had a few close calls but so far the worst thing that's happened to my bike is me lowering it from the jack and forgetting to put the kickstand down.

Then again I'd be surprised if my bike could hit 100

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3765 on: June 22, 2017, 09:47:47 AM »
My son watched Idiocracy with me last night and loved it.  :aah
©ZH

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #3766 on: June 22, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
I got a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso grinder for my birthday and this shit fucking RULES yo
püp

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3767 on: June 22, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »
Temperature dropped by like 10C since yesterday :rejoice

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3768 on: June 24, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »

:-\
I love riding, started on 50cc dirtbikes when I was 8 years old, all offroad in the desert. Rode up to 750cc, but my love is for 500s. So much fun.

But as a dad there's no way I want to risk my life like that these days.

Friend of mine who worked game audio development was riding near his home in Sausalito. Some idiot in an SUV backed out of their driveway, didn't see him. Three weeks in a coma, followed by death.

Last time I looked, something like 40% of injury accidents with a motorcycle involved, the rider was not at fault.

Sorry to be a downer. Hope you'll ride safely. Take classes, if you haven't already.

now that I have a kid and drive a car every time i see a bike I just think its way too cray cray

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3769 on: June 24, 2017, 11:23:42 AM »
I've had "The man who sold the world." stuck in my head for 2 days. At first I was going to post this in minor inconveniences, but nah, man. Such a triumph :delicious
que

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3770 on: June 24, 2017, 11:36:39 AM »
Been on a road trip for a week now with the fam, did like 1300 km and visited 3 cities, next stop is the mountains and then hot springs. Then hopefully get home with 4/5 days left before work.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3771 on: June 24, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »
Got done with the Hurricane!

There's still some stuff to do - I want to replace some of the factory labels and print new scorecards and work on some of the chipped wood in the cabinet.

Here's what was wrong with it at the beginning:

No general illumination playfeld lights
Burnt driver board
Burnt power IDC connectors from transformer to J115 on driver board
Warped translite disc
Translite cut open by previous operator
Missing slingshot plastics
Power cord with no ground
Two light boards had cracked cold solder joints
Broken slingshot switches
Melted Hurricane value lamp housing held up by ziptie (!)
Baked in filth on playfield, plastics, and ramps
Pop bumpers nonfunctional
Ferris wheels nonfunctional
Drop targets previously cleaned with WD-40 now gooped up with possibly living material
Broken coin door lock
About a pound of broken fuses, lamps and plastics under playfield

I think the previous operator just turned the thing on and never turned it off, leaving the heat from the bulbs to bake the dirt into the playfield and melt all the plastics.

Overall it was a lot of fun and I don't want to do it again for a while.
rub

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3772 on: June 24, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
Nice work, zomgee! I enjoy seeing your pinball updates, they're really cool.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #3773 on: June 25, 2017, 04:47:45 AM »
Thanks to the power of RSS and Firebase, I should have a working version of this tomorrow:

(Image removed from quote.)

And I only started coding it Saturday afternoon.

Minimum viable product version is done! https://chipmusic.fm (latest Chrome, Opera or Firefox required)

If anyone could beta test it for me today, I’d be super grateful. It's sorta janky in places right now but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and how quickly I was able to get it up and running (considering I've only worked on it on the last three weekends.) Firebase isn't perfect but it's pretty great.

Not super happy with the code (it's one giant file :lol) but I wanted to hold off refactors until the initial version was completed and working.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:53:30 AM by Tasty Meat »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3774 on: June 25, 2017, 05:08:19 AM »
Pretty cool shit, especially being able to skip between places in the track without buffering. The desktop browser version is muah, on mobile (safari iOS 10.3.2) it doesn't autoplay the next song, after the currently playing track ends it loads the next one and then you have to click play, and also it would be cool if clicking the artist/song opened a new tab instead of directing to the url so I can still listen to the song while looking at their artist page

Tasty

« Reply #3775 on: June 25, 2017, 05:17:09 AM »
Pretty cool shit, especially being able to skip between places in the track without buffering. The desktop browser version is muah

Thanks! I'm actually using the <audio> element which is known for being janky sometimes, so I was surprised it's mostly smooth overall.

on mobile (safari iOS 10.3.2) it doesn't autoplay the next song, after the currently playing track ends it loads the next one and then you have to click play

This is a mobile browser restriction unfortunately. All media events must be "user initiated." Since I'm loading a song after you hit the skip button, and then try to play it after I get the song back, the browser thinks it's not user-initiated.

I already have a fix in mind that should have other benefits: preloading the next few songs and adding them to the queue. Then when you hit skip it'll jump right to the already-loaded song and should keep autoplaying. :)

and also it would be cool if clicking the artist/song opened a new tab instead of directing to the url so I can still listen to the song while looking at their artist page

Hmm weird, it should be opening those in a new tab. 🤔

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3776 on: June 25, 2017, 05:31:59 AM »
I tried it again just now and it actually is opening them in new browser pages on mobile and still playing the tracks, so disregard that

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3777 on: June 25, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »
wow this is pretty badass. works great in the latest waterfox so far

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #3778 on: June 26, 2017, 12:38:49 AM »
Coders amaze me. Absolute wizardry.
rub

Fifstar