Author Topic: #dunhamgate  (Read 19095 times)

Himu

Re: #dunhamgate
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
Jesus Christ.  The actual passage horrified me.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
Lena Dunham and the street harassment lady have put feminism back so, so much. On the real, we need to get crazy self absorbed white girls to shut the fuck up.
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2014, 02:42:27 AM »
I don't get how this is somehow a racial issue  ??? ??? ???

ok I do but it's dumb
QED

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2014, 03:39:15 AM »
http://www.truthrevolt.org/commentary/lena-dunham-threatens-sue-truth-revolt-quoting-her
On Saturday, HBO’s Lena Dunham sent a “cease and desist” letter to TruthRevolt demanding that we remove an article we posted last Wednesday on sections of her book, Not That Kind of Girl. The letter threatened legal action if we did not both remove that article, as well as print a note, the suggested language of which read as follows:

We recently published a story stating that Ms. Dunham engaged in sexual conduct with her sister.  The story was false, and we deeply regret having printed it.  We apologize to Ms. Dunham, her sister, and their parents, for this false story.

We refuse. We refuse to withdraw our story or apologize for running it, because quoting a woman’s book does not constitute a “false” story, even if she is a prominent actress and left-wing activist. Lena Dunham may not like our interpretation of her book, but unfortunately for her and her attorneys, she wrote that book – and the First Amendment covers a good deal of material she may not like.

In particular, the letter from Ms. Dunham’s lawyers labeled as “false and defamatory” our claims that she “experiment[ed] sexually with her younger sister Grace,” “experimented with her six-year younger sister’s vagina,” and “use[d] her little sister at times essentially as a sexual outlet.” In her desire to curb First Amendment freedoms, Dunham’s attorneys threatened legal action seeking “millions of dollars; punitive damages which can be a multiple of up to ten times actual damages; and injunctive relief.”

We assume that both Ms. Dunham and her attorneys are capable of reading Ms. Dunham’s book, which contains the following direct excerpts:
If Ms. Dunham says that our quotations from her book were “false,” or that our interpretation of those events was libelous under the law, then we look forward to asking her, in her deposition, about why they appeared in her book. We also look forward to asking her why she believes it is now appropriate for a 28-year-old woman to make light of opening her baby sister’s vagina, paying her with candies for prolonged kisses on the lips in the manner of a “sexual predator,” or masturbating in bed next to her prepubescent sister.

If Ms. Dunham says that our quotations from her book were “false,” then she should explain whether her statements in which she accused a young college Republican of rape were also false. We look forward to asking her about that in her deposition as well, given that she has reportedly refused to cooperate with Oberlin police to track down the alleged perpetrator, which leaves other young women at risk if her accusations are true. 

It is worth noting that Truth Revolt was far from the only outlet to point out these troubling sections in Ms. Dunham’s book. National Review’s Kevin Williamson wrote of “Lena Dunham’s sexual abuse, specifically, of her younger sister, Grace” – the article that first alerted us to Ms. Dunham’s disturbing writings. The Daily Caller’s Derek Hunter has written of Ms. Dunham’s “gleeful sexual abuse of her infant sister, Grace.”

After Truth Revolt’s report on Ms. Dunham’s book, Ms. Dunham took to Twitter with what she termed a “rage spiral,” terming accusations that “I molested my little sister isn’t just LOL – it’s really fucking upsetting and disgusting.” She added, “And by the way, if you were a little kid and never looked at another little kid’s vagina, well, congrats to you.” No, congrats to you, Ms. Dunham – you’ve managed to lead a life so free of criticism that you find it “upsetting and disgusting” when some folks are offended that you “carefully spread open” your baby sister’s vagina, or paid her to kiss you on the mouth in the manner of a “sexual predator,” or masturbated in bed next to her as a teenager. In the real world, folks find such behavior upsetting and disgusting, not reporting on such behavior.

Bullies like Ms. Dunham may believe that firing off legal threats against those who exercise First Amendment rights is perfectly legitimate. But for a woman who proclaims to be an advocate for freedom of speech to attempt to shut down such speech based on her own apparent embarrassment at her own disclosures in her own book demonstrates the totalitarianism of those on the left – and those in the legal and media establishment who enable them.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2014, 08:18:37 AM »
Bullies like Ms. Dunham may believe that firing off legal threats against those who exercise First Amendment rights is perfectly legitimate. But for a woman who proclaims to be an advocate for freedom of speech to attempt to shut down such speech based on her own apparent embarrassment at her own disclosures in her own book demonstrates the totalitarianism of those on the left – and those in the legal and media establishment who enable them.

Right wing bully victimization complex. :heh
©ZH

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
goddamit why can't this just be about a stupid fucking girl who said stupid fucking things

why did it have to devolve into right v. left bullshit
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2014, 09:33:36 AM »

"Devolve" would indicate that it wasn't this very thing right from the start.
dog

kingkitty

« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »
liberals are more likely to be fascist pedophiles tbh

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »

"Devolve" would indicate that it wasn't this very thing right from the start.
The right wing illuminati!
 :gddr5
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »
Boy, this thread about kiddie diddling and incest sure is popular!
©@©™

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
Boy, this thread about kiddie diddling and incest sure is popular!

YMMV

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »

Right wing bully victimization complex. :heh

Unironic use of totalitarianism. :heh

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
I too like this emote  :heh
que

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
I like Lena Dunham. She's complicated.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
“I think he thinks he was being really deep by dating a chubby girl,” she writes of one of her many romantic disappointments. But the excess of self from which she suffers most genuinely is not corporal but emotional. Emotionally, she is morbidly obese, the layers of her bloated sense of self deepening like Philip Larkin’s coastal shelf since her birth, if not in fact before, considering the daft contributions of her family. It is an easy thing to mock, and it deserves mocking, but it also deserves understanding.
:dead

this NR article is vulgar brehs   :lol

the author is pretty much racist though. But I will give him a 30-day pass for this ether.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »
:bow kams tha gawd :bow2

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »
Wrath goin hard, she molest you too bro?

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
I have mad respect for Lena Dunham for the jimmies she rustles on the regular :lawd
vin

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2014, 01:28:58 PM »
I have mad respect for Lena Dunham for the doritos she clearly smashes on the regular :lawd

fixed
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »
I have mad respect for Lena Dunham for the jimmies she rustles on the regular :lawd

:gurl
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »

Is this an endorsement of molestation?

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »
Lena Dunham sure does rustle jimmies, especially when they belong to her sister.
edit: sort of beaten by a minute

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2014, 01:52:37 PM »
Edit: Post abandoned, too much nesting to get straight on my phone

But all them quotes seem to be a testament to the rustling

(not a molestation endorsement :kobeyuck )

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2014, 02:19:13 PM »
We now know how Dunham gets her rocks off.

It seems unlikely that a one-year-old would stuff pebbles into her own vagina. . . . Regardless, people can't really condemn an adult for her actions as a a seven-year-old; they can condemn her actions as a 13-year-old and they can condemn her flippant attitude about it all as an adult.

Yeah. Kids are one thing, but it's weird that she's unaware how weird it is to recount it. This is the kind of thing people normally put int their "We Shall Never Speak of This" category.

nudemacusers

« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
i can only speak for myself but i just purchased a huge bag of pop rocks.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rahxephon91

« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2014, 05:13:29 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
Anybody else find it ironic that these CAC SJW's are trying to tell us to not tell these people how to live their life while at the same time telling us how to live our lives?

:goty
YMMV

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2014, 06:44:17 PM »
Lena Dunham and the street harassment lady have put feminism back so, so much. On the real, we need to get crazy self absorbed white girls to shut the fuck up.
But thirsty black men walking like a schroedingers rape-panther next to a white (not really properly white, but that's not the point) girl doesn't say anything about the rape-culture encouraged by rappers and Cosby. Because it's not about black rapers.

It's about not raping women. That's the one thing neogaf got right: rape is wrong.
:{]

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2014, 07:37:20 PM »

Is this an endorsement of molestation?
(Image removed from quote.)

I was going to make a "neogaf mods brehs" post until I realized it wasnt Youngblood

damnit all! >:(

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Her show isn't bad, just has a few too many east coast heiress white girl cringes for me. And (Image removed from quote.) worthy self aggrandizing mary sue moments.

:comeon
pretty sure that line was ironic breh :dualities

Jezebel put up an article.

http://jezebel.com/the-right-to-a-sexual-narrative-on-the-lena-dunham-abu-1654187731
"Older siblings often change the younger sibling's diaper, apply diaper cream," added Herbenick. "The point being: genital touching is not in and of itself sexual. As adults, we should know that. We bathe ourselves, we go to the bathroom, we itch ourselves, we touch our genitals for various reasons throughout the day. They really are just another body part. And unless someone is doing something sexual with them, they don't have to be considered sexual."

This brings up something that I think about frequently. To be an adult woman is to have your body be near-universally read as a sexual object when, on the inside, you often feel very different, like a Pokemon or a hungover bag of meat.
:lawd :rejoice
On the newly-founded Those Kinds of Girls tumblr, all sorts of anonymous accounts are coming in about childhood memories that are—like Dunham's—uncomfortable, awkward, funny, and to all parties actually involved, non-abusive. I trust these readings. I always think we should trust what people, and particularly women, say about their life experience. If they say they were harmed, we should believe them; if they, like Grace Dunham, say they were not, what do we gain by pushing victimhood on them when they don't want it?
:bow
the article goes on to criticze the more questionable aspects of Lena's behavior about this controversy, but the quoted bits are my favorite.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:57:08 PM by Raban »
SRY

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2014, 08:47:02 PM »

"Basically, anything a sexual predator would do"

Keep stanning, Raban

:gurl
yar

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2014, 08:53:44 PM »
I would use my own words to retort but that Jezebel article has me covered
Still there's the question of language to consider. You could say that Dunham could have used some different words. At one point in this chapter, she describes her unrequited affection for her younger sister as manifesting in actions "a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl." But this figurative language, in poor taste given the context—and unremarkable in the context of the many other tone-deaf moments in the memoir—is not in itself telling, not at all. What's she really talking about here? I offer my friends candy; I invite them into my car. I handle nice takeout sandwiches gently, because I want them to be firm when I shove them in my mouth. Am I predatory? Towards sandwiches, absolutely. Am I using dumb language? Oh, for sure. Hinting at a consent problem? Hell motherfucking no.
Tone deaf and offensively immature narrative? sounds like my girl :heartbeat
SRY

Himu

« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2014, 08:59:03 PM »
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »
"Lena Dunham has said some tone deaf, insensitive, stupid things, which is really part of her charm"

Will never understand how people like anything that stupid woman has done, tbh
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2014, 09:03:12 PM »
Compare changing your younger siblings' diaper to prying open your younger siblings' vagina, brehs.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2014, 09:16:20 PM »
I never said it was part of her charm, but it's certainly what I've come to expect from her. I'll happily take your ridicule to stand on her side of this argument. It's always women being told what they are/aren't, how they were abused or weren't, or how they should or shouldn't feel. It's all the same shit. I'll let the "victim" speak for herself.
SRY

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »
I like how you put victim in quotes. That's classy.  :-*
que

Himu

« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
\ It's always women being told what they are/aren't, how they were abused or weren't, or how they should or shouldn't feel. It's all the same shit. I'll let the "victim" speak for herself.

What. So are you saying that Lena Dunham wouldn't be seen as an abuser if she were a guy? It seems pretty clear to me: Lena Dunham sounds like a narcissist or psychopath from her own writing, yet many feminists are defending her, despite the morbid reality of what would happen if Lena were male. Using the argument that women are always being told what to do or how they should feel in this case seems quite petty given that there's clear sexism at work in regards to many of her defenders support her.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
Also, using the victims own words as proof that Lena Dunham isn't a crazed abuser is kinda...out there given, historically, many women vouch for their abusers.

Is this a "victim" too? She was punched out and dragged out of a hotel elevator like a dog but she's still willing to defend her husband. Defense does not make it right.

Yet you're making this a feminist argument? :what
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
yep this is totally comparable to a domestic abuse case between two adults. FOH.
SRY

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2014, 09:42:46 PM »
The whole defense force of this reminds me of the vagina monologues where a 13 year old gets raped by a woman and then says "if it was rape, it was a good rape"

I feel like people defending this are like "if it was molestation, it was a good molestation."

:what

que

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »
I've never made the argument that the vagina pebbles thing was sexual assault or whatever; I think my main point is that Lena Dunham is a shitty person, as evidenced by her "sexual predator" comments, the general tone of her writing, the Indian travel thing someone linked earlier, and the fact that Girls is a shitty show.
yar

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »
I guess it wouldn't be the internet without someone supporting a famous molester
dur

Himu

« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2014, 09:44:52 PM »
yep this is totally comparable to a domestic abuse case between two adults. FOH.

This is not what normal children do. Telling your own sister - with joy - that grandpa is dead just so that she can cuddle you? Even if it's not abuse, wouldn't you agree that putting faith in Dunham's words is a trial? I'm not going to say kids are cuddly wuddly creatures who don't do odd or bad things, and I certainly don't have any siblings to relay an experience, but that just doesn't sound like something a well adjusted child should be doing.

The whole defense force of this reminds me of the vagina monologues where a 13 year old gets raped by a woman and then says "if it was rape, it was a good rape"

I feel like people defending this are like "if it was molestation, it was a good molestation."

And it's pretty clear that most of it comes from the fact that Dunham is a woman. It comes off as a molly coddling perverse take on the "innocent woman" cliche. You know, women have such pure thoughts and could never do no harm crap. Which, of course, is its own form of sexism - both towards women and men.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »
What is this about candles? :what
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2014, 09:55:09 PM »
Oh, I read candles and the imagery was :kobeyuck
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2014, 09:55:31 PM »

This is not what normal children do. Telling your own sister - with joy - that grandpa is dead just so that she can cuddle you? Even if it's not abuse, wouldn't you agree that putting faith in Dunham's words is a trial? I'm not going to say kids are cuddly wuddly creatures who don't do odd or bad things, and I certainly don't have any siblings to relay an experience, but that just doesn't sound like something a well adjusted child should be doing.

And it's pretty clear that most of it comes from the fact that Dunham is a woman. It comes off as a molly coddling perverse take on the "innocent woman" cliche. You know, women have such pure thoughts and could never do no harm crap.
the bolded explains a lot actually. sorry if my argument sounds like I'm perpetuating a cliche but it sounds like you're trying to take my argument and give it much broader implications than I meant to have. she was a kid, kids do weird shit to each other, especially siblings. I have both examples of genital exploration and legitimate abuse that occured between me and my older brother, and it apparently helps me draw the line between what activies are or aren't abuse between young siblings. Nothing she says sounds extraordinary to me, but her wording inarguably goes a long way to make it uncomfortable to read.
I've never made the argument that the vagina pebbles thing was sexual assault or whatever; I think my main point is that Lena Dunham is a shitty person, as evidenced by her "sexual predator" comments, the general tone of her writing, the Indian travel thing someone linked earlier, and the fact that Girls is a shitty show.
Yeah I don't argue your opinion of Lena. I even go back and forth on my feelings towards her and her work, but as for the rest of this thread; I said my piece and I'm out.
SRY

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
Man, I must be alone in thinking that diddling your sibling isn't a common thing. Maybe all those animes are right after all?
que

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
Well what else do you do for fun with them
dur

Himu

« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2014, 10:12:06 PM »
Man, I must be alone in thinking that diddling your sibling isn't a common thing. Maybe all those animes are right after all?

Yup.

Please Twins! is a story about three high-school students: Maiku Kamishiro, Karen Onodera, and Miina Miyafuji. The three were drawn together by a photograph of their childhood home which later makes all of them seek out the house in the picture. However, the picture shows only two children, a boy and a girl. The three conclude from this that only one of the girls, either Karen or Miina, can be related to Maiku. The other must be a nonrelative. The only other identifying feature of the pair in the picture is that the boy and the girl have eyes of the same unusual color, a feature that furthers the ambiguity as all three of them share the same eye color.

The main concern of the male lead, Maiku, is that, although he eventually comes to care for both of the girls, he does not know which of them is his sister. In addition, the two girls develop feelings for Maiku, forming a love triangle that cannot be resolved until the truth of their relationship is known. All three main characters are in the predicament of wanting to discover their past versus the risk of losing a romantic relationship.

The events of the story are set the year after Please Teacher! and characters from that series appear in supporting roles throughout Please Twins!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Please_Twins!
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2014, 10:16:10 PM »
Well what else do you do for fun with them
I'll need to practice my "Oniiiiichan!!"
que

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2014, 11:11:08 PM »
i'm gonna need brandnew to weigh in on this discussion

with sexy details :phil
duc

Sausage

« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2014, 01:42:24 AM »
What's the Indian travel writing thing?

FYI, that country wears you down if you're a cac. It's the closest a white cishet male will ever get to the NYC street harassment video. If some of the thoughts that went through my head had been telepathically live-blogged to a twitter feed after I'd fought off my 100th scam attempt of the day, it wouldn't have looked so good. So I'm going to have to see the receipts before I condemn anyone for an India travel blog.
http://yourfaveisproblematic.tumblr.com/post/45822118430/lena-dunham

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #173 on: November 05, 2014, 02:51:10 AM »
\ It's always women being told what they are/aren't, how they were abused or weren't, or how they should or shouldn't feel. It's all the same shit. I'll let the "victim" speak for herself.

What. So are you saying that Lena Dunham wouldn't be seen as an abuser if she were a guy? It seems pretty clear to me: Lena Dunham sounds like a narcissist or psychopath from her own writing, yet many feminists are defending her, despite the morbid reality of what would happen if Lena were male. Using the argument that women are always being told what to do or how they should feel in this case seems quite petty given that there's clear sexism at work in regards to many of her defenders support her.
s
Qualifying 'victim' is p offensive to me personally, but labeling Lena Dunham as a 'psychopath' is really beyond the pale.  The way she couches/objectifies her own experience is pretty reprehensible, but she doesn't come off as someone who completely lacks moral objectivity so much as someone who has an insanely off-balance moral compass.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »
I agree. Let's get it right people, she's a narcissistic womanchild. Not a psychopath.
que

Himu

« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
I did call her a narcissist. I just threw the word psychopath in there for good measure.
IYKYK

nudemacusers

« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
that problematic tumblr is some reachy shit lol. but I did learn a new word, misogynoir (mysogny against black women) :dead

also, more than anything, I'm mad that this whole drama has made me hate the word 'agency'.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »

nudemacusers

« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »
heh, the first savage link is to a post from... 2003. :what
http://yourfaveisproblematic.tumblr.com/post/90435923836/kerli

i don't even know who this person is but this is the weakest attempt at a shame-callout i've ever seen.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »
Yeah, Dan Savage is a dickhead.

He's on my list of "people I don't get rustled by under any circumstances." Up there with Artie Lange and Sarah Silverman. Not falling for it.