Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 556769 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #1740 on: July 25, 2017, 10:46:46 AM »
All these Star Wars side story ideas remind me of the Halloween remake and why that shit is so stupid. I didn't need to see an exhaustive look at Michael's childhood, or what turned him into a psycho. It was pretty obvious when he killed his sister, and the exposition scenes filled in enough info for me. Prequels that only serve to fill in blanks and tell a story I know the ending of can DIAF.
 :iface

Himu

« Reply #1741 on: July 25, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »
Yeah, because Ewan was just sooooooo good  ::)

:confused

The post basically highlights that George Lucas took a great actor and gave him shit. There was lots of potential with Ewan as Obi Wan and it was crap. Under better guidance and direction, Ewan has a chance to reach the potential that he had in that role. Hence "another chance" because he obviously sucked in the prequels.

Star Wars Rebels, the CG show, is canon and shows that Obi-Wan has indeed just been bumming around Tatooine keeping an eye on Luke since Ep 3.

It also showed him face and kill Darth Maul (again), who survived Ep 1 and got robo-legs.

So yeah, maybe some gaps weren't meant to be filled.

Never mind then. Sounds awful. An Obi Wan movie is the only spin off movie that would remotely interest me honestly and I doubt they'll do one so I'm kind of fine with it.

All these Star Wars side story ideas remind me of the Halloween remake and why that shit is so stupid. I didn't need to see an exhaustive look at Michael's childhood, or what turned him into a psycho. It was pretty obvious when he killed his sister, and the exposition scenes filled in enough info for me. Prequels that only serve to fill in blanks and tell a story I know the ending of can DIAF.

Normally I would agree, but Obi Wan is an interesting character to me.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1742 on: July 25, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »

This is the difference between actual "artists," for lack of a better term, and fanboys. John Carpenter understands storytelling (well, at least he did earlier in his career) and knew that leaving a bunch of things NOT explicitly spelled out could add to the dramatic tension of the narrative. Rob Zombie* is just a fucking fanthing, and fanthings sit around and dream about all the unfilled in blanks in the stories they love. And now they're making movies, and they suck. The Star Wars movies run a real risk of doing this- IMO the prequels shat the bed in spectacular fashion because Lucas himself was a fanthing. Unlike QoI and her... singular tastes I though Rogue One was pretty good, so I'm hopeful that the rest of the Star Wars side stories will have the potential to be good. But the ones that explore untold stories in already established characters lives run the real risk of shitting the bed in this manner.

*I'm assuming it's the Rob Zombie Halloween. I didn't bother to see any of the modern ones, because there's no need to.
yar

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1743 on: July 25, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »
The only good thing to come from Rogue One is the blind monk. I'd like a movie featuring nothing but him going "I am the Force. The Force is with me." for 2 hours.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1744 on: July 25, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
Jesus Horatio Christ, the OPINIONS in here

:jeanluc
yar

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #1745 on: July 25, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »
The only good thing to come from Rogue One is the excuse it gave me to fap to Mads Mikkelsen again, even if he was poorly used.

ftfy
serge

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1746 on: July 25, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »

This is the difference between actual "artists," for lack of a better term, and fanboys. John Carpenter understands storytelling (well, at least he did earlier in his career) and knew that leaving a bunch of things NOT explicitly spelled out could add to the dramatic tension of the narrative. Rob Zombie* is just a fucking fanthing, and fanthings sit around and dream about all the unfilled in blanks in the stories they love. And now they're making movies, and they suck. The Star Wars movies run a real risk of doing this- IMO the prequels shat the bed in spectacular fashion because Lucas himself was a fanthing. Unlike QoI and her... singular tastes I though Rogue One was pretty good, so I'm hopeful that the rest of the Star Wars side stories will have the potential to be good. But the ones that explore untold stories in already established characters lives run the real risk of shitting the bed in this manner.

*I'm assuming it's the Rob Zombie Halloween. I didn't bother to see any of the modern ones, because there's no need to.

Exactly. It's glorified fanfic, with a studio stamp of approval and a bag of money.

Himu

« Reply #1747 on: July 25, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »

My tastes are not singular. I didn't see the point of R1, the characters were wasted, the story was stupid. convincing all of these people to go on a suicide mission didn't feel believable or with actual merit, editing was all over place, ending was lame, movie was full of fanservice. The lack of character moments is the most striking thing. I truly think it's a bad movie and almost on par with the prequels. IMO they suffer from literally the same problems. R1 is a hate it or love it movie and very divisive. There seems to be little middle ground with it.

I'm open to a lot of different interpretations of the Star Wars universe, but thinks R1 sucks. :yeshrug Half the thread agrees with me that R1 fucking blows, the other half loves it. Definition of love it or hate it.
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1748 on: July 25, 2017, 02:28:17 PM »

This is the difference between actual "artists," for lack of a better term, and fanboys. John Carpenter understands storytelling (well, at least he did earlier in his career) and knew that leaving a bunch of things NOT explicitly spelled out could add to the dramatic tension of the narrative. Rob Zombie* is just a fucking fanthing, and fanthings sit around and dream about all the unfilled in blanks in the stories they love.

Well, Rob Zombie's ones are the only modern ones... Zombie's is totally an ascended fanboy as far as filmmaking goes but at least he seems genuine and is pretty wild (not the Halloween remake though, this one is pretty garbage for all the reasons mentioned). H2O or whatever (the one with Jamie Lee Curtis from late nineties / early aughts) is OK and actually provides decent closure.

As much as I hate nerds, fanthings are not the only culprits here. Spielberg and Lucas didn't need the help of anyone to achieve the exact same sins : the intro of the Last Crusade is like a masterclass in doing everything you shouldn't do.
ὕβρις

TVC15

« Reply #1749 on: July 25, 2017, 02:30:00 PM »
I couldn't remember the names of any of the R1 characters immediately after walking out of the theater. The movie blew aside from the pure fan service Darth Vader final scene. I'm fairly convinced people think the movie was awesome because it ended with that scene.
serge

Himu

« Reply #1750 on: July 25, 2017, 02:37:41 PM »
The only good thing to come from Rogue One is the blind monk. I'd like a movie featuring nothing but him going "I am the Force. The Force is with me." for 2 hours.

Donnie Yen fucking sucked in R1. His friend was even worse. Hi, I'm my blind friends pal. We used to protect the jedi temple or whatever. We're drifters. I have no character development. I have a big gun. It's really great character development and interaction to not go over the character who keeps saying "I am the force" without going into detail about his actual relationship with it beyond anything abstract. But it's cool, the movie makes up for it by showing me doing cool action scenes. Totally not like the prequels, everyone.

Hi. I'm a pilot. They gave me a drug that was supposed to destroy my mind. Five minutes later, I seem fine. Internal story consistency and logic works in this movie. /s We are on a suicide mission and as said, I'm an Imperial pilot but guess what I'm not doing? Flying something.

The movie fails at storytelling 101.

Thinking about it, and all the reviews for it claiming to be the best SW movie since Empire is making me chuckle even harder as I write this post. What a total crap movie. By the end of the movie you're like "why should I care about any of this?"

At least with Obi Wan there's potential for exploring the tragic loneliness of being the last of your order, watching over the son of your pupil who has destroyed so many lives. You could kill Luke in case he ever become like his father. Why take him under your wing after you failed the first time? Now there's a story that shows potential for exploring actual characters and not canvasses merely there to push the action forward *cough* R1 *cough* Instead we're getting a crappy sounding movie about Han Solo which will most likely suck.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1751 on: July 25, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »
I couldn't remember the names of any of the R1 characters immediately after walking out of the theater. The movie blew aside from the pure fan service Darth Vader final scene. I'm fairly convinced people think the movie was awesome because it ended with that scene.

Haha, I know right? Let me give it a shot.

Blind guy
Gun guy
Pilot guy
Cassius
Robot
Girl we're supposed to care about that the movie fails to give proper pathos to whose name starts with a J...I think

Creepy's post about fan service movies strikes me as odd given it's pretty clear Rogue One is a fan service movie.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1752 on: July 25, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
What are any of the characters names in Dunkirk? :trumps
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1753 on: July 25, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »
What are any of the characters names in Dunkirk? :trumps

There's gotta be a Nigel in there somewhere
yar

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1754 on: July 25, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »
Adolf?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1755 on: July 25, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
Guv'nor ?
Lad ?
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #1756 on: July 25, 2017, 05:57:03 PM »
Halloween H20 is the only good Halloween movie after the second, the rest are trash.

Though Zombie's H2 is fun in just how batshit it gets.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1757 on: July 25, 2017, 11:39:27 PM »
The Han Solo movie should essentially be an Ocean's Eleven-type heist movie but set in the Star Wars universe. That's not what it's going to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Scoundrels

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1758 on: July 26, 2017, 01:50:53 AM »
A Han Solo Star Wars movie should be as close to a GOTG rip off as they could possibly get away with.
fixed?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1759 on: July 28, 2017, 02:06:36 AM »
The Han Solo movie should essentially be an Ocean's Eleven-type heist movie but set in the Star Wars universe. That's not what it's going to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Scoundrels

A Han Solo movie should be as close to a GOTG rip off as they could possibly get away with.

Sure, but if you ever want Oceans Eleven, but with Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, read that book.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1760 on: August 17, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
Confirmed, with the director of Billy Elliot, The Reader, etc directing. No word on McGregor.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/17/its-official-were-getting-an-obi-wan-kenobi-spin-off
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1761 on: August 17, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »
Meh.
dog

TVC15

« Reply #1762 on: August 17, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »
I want to see an Obi Wan movie even less than I want to see a Han Solo movie.
serge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1763 on: August 17, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
I'll go see it only if it's McGregor being a space hobo between Revenge of the Sith and New Hope.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lol jk I'ma see it regardless
[close]
yar

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1764 on: August 17, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »
i'll see it if it's just two hours of obi wan whoring around brothels and drinking himself to death before taking up gradening or w/e for 30 years

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1765 on: August 18, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »
While I'm sure I will eventually watch them through streaming services, Disney has already lost me on all these "spin-off" stories in the Star Wars universe after Rogue One. They don't have the balls to actually make new shit which is the only reason I would anticipate any of this stuff.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1766 on: August 18, 2017, 08:55:23 PM »
i'll see it if it's just two hours of obi wan whoring around brothels and drinking himself to death before taking up gradening or w/e for 30 years

http://www.theonion.com/features/infographic

Himu

« Reply #1767 on: August 18, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »
While I'm sure I will eventually watch them through streaming services, Disney has already lost me on all these "spin-off" stories in the Star Wars universe after Rogue One. They don't have the balls to actually make new shit which is the only reason I would anticipate any of this stuff.

One of us
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1768 on: August 21, 2017, 08:35:07 AM »

What is frustrating is they have a wealth of material (books, video games from the expanded universe) they can draw from. They don't even need to make a totally new story/character.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:43:58 AM by ToxicAdam »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1769 on: August 21, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »

What is frustrating is they have a wealth of material (books, video games from the expanded universe) they can draw from. They don't even need to make a totally new story/character.

They are incorporating the EU piecemeal. More of a comic-like reboot where they take what they like and discard the rest.

SW:Rebels has become pretty EU centric
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1770 on: August 23, 2017, 07:38:54 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1771 on: August 24, 2017, 04:30:08 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1772 on: September 05, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1773 on: September 05, 2017, 07:23:38 PM »
Finally.

Himu

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1775 on: September 05, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
Just get Rian Johnson to write/direct Episode IX, too.
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1776 on: September 05, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »
Seems better to do it earlier than what they did with the Han solo thing.
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1777 on: September 05, 2017, 07:56:35 PM »
Seems better to do it earlier than what they did with the Han solo thing.

Yeah, IX is still at the script-writing stage, while the Han Solo movie was almost completely filmed. I don't see how the latter ends up being anything other than a total mess.
dog

TVC15

« Reply #1778 on: September 05, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
Just get Rian Johnson to write/direct Episode IX, too.

If Rian doesn't want to do 2 in a row, get Spielberg on it. If he's free, I bet he's on the short list.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1779 on: September 05, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »
Bring back Lucas.
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #1780 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:16 PM »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1781 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »
Bring back Lucas.

:lucas

Let's hope this emoji in this thread is the closest Georgie Porgie ever gets to Star Wars again.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1782 on: September 05, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
yar

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1783 on: September 05, 2017, 10:29:46 PM »
Colin Trevorrow just got kicked to the curb:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/colin-trevorrow-exits-star-wars-episode-ix-1202548088/

I haven't even seen Jurassic World myself, but thank God.
MMA

benjipwns

« Reply #1784 on: September 05, 2017, 11:22:31 PM »
i did wonder how he was going to fit it in since they were only giving it 18 months unlike VII and VIII, but his schedule is now totally cleared, i guess he had already dropped off Jurassic World's sequel and they delayed IX's filming to January 2018 anyway after Carrie Fisher died, it was supposed to have started already

they had just hired a new writer to redo the script a few weeks ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thorne

the original writers of the IX script were Trevorrow along with the guy who co-wrote Jurassic World, Monster Trucks, Kong: Skull Island and Jurassic World 2

speaking of weird behind the scenes stuff, i just noticed that J.J. Abrams has been like completely disassociated from Star Wars now, which is weird considering he's still a regular producer on the Star Trek films, when Star Wars was what he originally always wanted to do and i thought for sure he'd be all involved in this and the spin-offs and etc. and he certainly was selling the new trilogy hard and claimed to have convinced George and all that, but i guess Disney Lucasfilm has other ideas

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1785 on: September 06, 2017, 01:49:51 AM »
Disney is pretty fickle. It would not surprise me if they're making bottom-line decisions despite being at the top of their game. The Marvel Studios stuff is apparently run tight-as-hell.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1786 on: September 12, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #1787 on: September 12, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
Yeah, I can see this mirroring the original trilogy in terms of quality (of each movie) pretty cleanly.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1788 on: September 12, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
Kinda surprised that Abrams is back after people were saying that he'd been blocked out by Disney after leaving Episdoe 7, but whatever. I'm fine with this, Episode 7 wasn't spectacular but it was a good and fun return to form for the franchise.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1789 on: September 12, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
Yeah, I can see this mirroring the original trilogy in terms of quality (of each movie) pretty cleanly.

:oh_snap.gif

I'm also on-board for more j.j. abrams. I loved The Force Awakens. I am on board with Movies with Mikey's evaluation of the tremendous successes achieved by abrams, particularly in the context of having to recover out of a bad roll with Georgie Porgie's Prequels.

benjipwns

« Reply #1790 on: September 12, 2017, 07:19:50 PM »
nobody read that post i made a week ago

er i mean i was tipped off by disney lucasfilm and was sending out false flags :doge

nudemacusers

« Reply #1791 on: September 12, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »
Wonder if we'll get a remix of ep1 this time  :doge
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #1792 on: September 12, 2017, 07:51:18 PM »
"okay, so there's a half-finished NEW starkiller base and it's on a FOREST planet"

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1793 on: September 12, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »
:noooo

I really didn't like Starkiller Base as a concept, and was upset to see An Even Bigger Death Star as the main focus of Ep. VII, but I recognize that it was trying to be a return to form for Star Wars.

Though even Rogue One was about the Death Star, it wasn't about BLOWING UP the Death Star. It was about exactly how terrifying and destructive a weapon they were facing in the original movie.

agrajag

« Reply #1794 on: September 12, 2017, 11:51:52 PM »
who shot first Gridor or Hunn

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1795 on: September 13, 2017, 03:56:53 AM »
who shot first Gridor or Hunn

I LOLsnorted. Good jon.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1796 on: September 13, 2017, 05:30:55 AM »
Amazing news to have JJ back.

agrajag

« Reply #1797 on: September 13, 2017, 11:09:37 PM »
I don't know how I feel about JJ being back. I enjoyed TFA when I saw it in the movie theater. But then I had zero desire to ever watch it again. Hoping the next two mainline movies are a little less derivative of the OT.

agrajag

« Reply #1798 on: September 13, 2017, 11:10:22 PM »
I don't know how I feel about JJ being back. I enjoyed TFA when I saw it in the movie theater. But then I had zero desire to ever watch it again. Hoping the next two mainline movies are a little less derivative of the OT.

Learn to watch and analyze a Star Wars film, kiddo.

:bobby

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1799 on: September 14, 2017, 11:47:54 PM »
JJ read Rian's script for VIII and said "I wish I'd written it." So I'm super excited for Rian's entry. Provided it goes over well, it's not unthinkable that IX could be a Rian/JJ collaboration.