Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 556383 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #480 on: October 23, 2015, 12:34:16 PM »
Well they want to get everyone back on board, im sure if this goes down well the next one might be more out there

I wouldn't get my hopes high in case this turns out to be mediocre, blockbusters have been a litany of endless origin stories with very little payoff with reboots every 5 or 10 years. If you have legit good material, you make the best possible film ASAP, it makes the most artistic and even commercial sense (opening strong is a guarantee to get some mindshare for your sequels). If they are playing it safe here, sequels won't stray too far from that path.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #481 on: October 23, 2015, 12:37:37 PM »
I'm hopeful for the next Trek since Pegg is writing, though Lin can be spotty.

Really though, I wish it would return to TV. The budgets and effects have advanced so far since the last Trek TV show it's crazy.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #482 on: October 23, 2015, 12:46:04 PM »
Im sure they will not reboot or remake star wars

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #483 on: October 23, 2015, 01:54:18 PM »
Im sure they will not reboot or remake star wars

In the future, who knows ? So far the new films have filled the story before and now after the classic trilogy but the continuity will start to be really busy they could conceivably start to fuck with the existing material. They did give themselves some room by outright labeling the Expanded Universe as apocryphal. I imagine the plan is to make the new characters stick to continue to expand the franchise...

My former post wasn't just about reboots tho. The whole Marvel movie system give me the impression of a giant bait and switch towards the already planned sequel or the next "crossover" film for quite some time now, yet despite all this excruciating tedium of ground work and origin stories the payoff wasn't really there. By design really, since it's the new paradigm of "franchises".
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #484 on: November 05, 2015, 12:23:05 AM »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #485 on: November 06, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »

Fuck it, I'm in.

___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #486 on: November 06, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
yar

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #488 on: November 06, 2015, 11:50:46 AM »
*creams pants* :noah

Tasty

« Reply #489 on: November 06, 2015, 12:00:03 PM »
Hmm, something tells me

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finn bites it during the face off with Kylo in the snow.
[close]

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #490 on: November 06, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »
tain't no way that happens
püp

Tasty

« Reply #491 on: November 06, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »
tain't no way that happens

Dude was pissing his pants in the last trailer and now whats her face is crying over what could be a body in the same snowy forest? Just saying. :yeshrug

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #492 on: November 06, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »

Fuck it, I'm in.

(Image removed from quote.)

Damn, that's the better trailer right there.

Just have to finish ROTJ and I'll be done catching up with OG trilogy.

Seems like ROTJ is regarded as the weakest of the 3?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #493 on: November 06, 2015, 12:53:21 PM »
ROTJ starts off really strong, has a weak (bad?) middle and then ends pretty strong.

Just imagine the Ewoks as giant wookies (like they originally planned) and the middle part works better.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #494 on: November 06, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »
I'm actually pretty ok with Ewoks, and liked the first bit of them stranded on the planet with them. The actual Ewok rebellion throwing stones at the galactic empire just wasn't well realized. Required my brain to squint more than I was willing to handle.

Beginning and end of ROTJ is pretty much peak Star War in my mind.
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #495 on: November 06, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
Peak Star War imo is the entirety of everything that happens in Cloud City in ESB.
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #496 on: November 06, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
Gotta say I'm really digging the crossguards lightsaber. I was never down on it like some people were, but now I'm thinking it's one of the coolest things in the new movie. Makes Kylo Ren look more like a medieval black knight.

I hope his squad, the Knights of Ren, get some screentime in the film.

I think it's a clumsy uneducated reconstruction of a lightsaber by somebody who doesn't quite have all the skills required. Which makes it pretty cool.
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
Gotta say I'm really digging the crossguards lightsaber. I was never down on it like some people were, but now I'm thinking it's one of the coolest things in the new movie. Makes Kylo Ren look more like a medieval black knight.

I think it's a clumsy uneducated reconstruction of a lightsaber by somebody who doesn't quite have all the skills required. Which makes it pretty cool.

Exactly.  And its a perfect representation of what we know of Kylo Ren: intense, on the brink, ruthless, cruel, and without purity.

Team crossguard
püp

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2015, 06:38:10 PM »

Fuck it, I'm in.

kinda feel bad for the Japanese. The trailer translates the title of the film, but there is no Japanese translation of "Star Wars." Instead it's just spelled in English so they might not even know what this is. I guess this is a good way to go unspoiled but the language barrier must be vexing.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2015, 06:39:54 PM »
 :snoop
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
kinda feel bad for the Japanese. The trailer translates the title of the film, but there is no Japanese translation of "Star Wars." Instead it's just spelled in English so they might not even know what this is. I guess this is a good way to go unspoiled but the language barrier must be vexing.
:expert

Yeah, those were my thoughts as well. That thing looks like it's barely contained, as opposed to the perfect integrity of the Jedi and Sith sabers we have previously seen.

« Reply #501 on: November 12, 2015, 05:04:41 PM »
Star Wars prequels didn't suck, we're just too stupid to understand Lucas' genius:

http://www.vice.com/read/this-guy-spent-two-years-writing-one-article-about-how-the-star-wars-prequels-didnt-suck-106

:ohhh

:neogaf
[close]

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #502 on: November 12, 2015, 05:07:22 PM »
It makes sense, because this guy will kill himself if it doesn't.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #503 on: November 12, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #504 on: November 12, 2015, 06:30:35 PM »
Star Wars prequels didn't suck, we're just too stupid to understand Lucas' genius:

http://www.vice.com/read/this-guy-spent-two-years-writing-one-article-about-how-the-star-wars-prequels-didnt-suck-106

:ohhh

[close]

Dude sounds a lot more rational than I'd expected.

The Prequels area still horrible.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #505 on: November 13, 2015, 08:33:16 AM »
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #506 on: November 15, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #507 on: November 15, 2015, 08:57:45 PM »
It's probably Pan and Scan.  :yuck
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #508 on: November 16, 2015, 12:54:00 AM »
It's probably Pan and Scan.  :yuck

Majestic 4:3 "fullscreen!" :rejoice

Stoney Mason

« Reply #509 on: November 20, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »
George Lucas, the mastermind behind the Star Wars franchise, says no more.

Lucas told Vanity Fair that he didn't want to be a part of the long-awaited seventh episode of the Star Wars saga, "The Force Awakens," because "it's not much fun" when you "go to make a movie and all you do is get criticized."

He spoke to "CBS This Morning" co-host Charlie Rose about his decision to never direct another "Star Wars" picture.

"The issue was ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans,'" Lucas said. "People don't actually realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems - it's not about spaceships. So they decided they didn't want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, 'fine.... I'll go my way and I let them go their way.'"

This marks the first time Lucas is not intimately involved, which Lucas compared to a breakup.

"When you break up with somebody, the first rule is no phone calls. The second rule, you don't go over to their house and drive by to see what they're doing," he said laughing. "The third one is you don't show up at their coffee shop and say you are going to burn it... You just say 'Nope, gone, history, I'm moving forward.'"

The full interview will air on "CBS This Morning" in December, as part of our Kennedy center Honors coverage. Lucas is among this year's recipients.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-lucas-on-why-he-is-done-directing-star-wars/

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #510 on: November 20, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »
George Lucas, the mastermind behind the Star Wars franchise, says no more.

Lucas told Vanity Fair that he didn't want to be a part of the long-awaited seventh episode of the Star Wars saga, "The Force Awakens," because "it's not much fun" when you "go to make a movie and all you do is get criticized."

He spoke to "CBS This Morning" co-host Charlie Rose about his decision to never direct another "Star Wars" picture.

"The issue was ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans,'" Lucas said. "People don't actually realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems - it's not about spaceships. So they decided they didn't want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, 'fine.... I'll go my way and I let them go their way.'"

This marks the first time Lucas is not intimately involved, which Lucas compared to a breakup.

"When you break up with somebody, the first rule is no phone calls. The second rule, you don't go over to their house and drive by to see what they're doing," he said laughing. "The third one is you don't show up at their coffee shop and say you are going to burn it... You just say 'Nope, gone, history, I'm moving forward.'"

The full interview will air on "CBS This Morning" in December, as part of our Kennedy center Honors coverage. Lucas is among this year's recipients.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-lucas-on-why-he-is-done-directing-star-wars/

:lucas

dude's still awful
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #511 on: November 20, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »
I don't really get what he is trying to say with the "for fans" versus "it's a soap opera" comment. He obviously means the comparison in a derogatory manner but I'm not sure what he actually means.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #512 on: November 20, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »
"You don't understand, terrible plot development, throwing a robot/alien into the background of literally every shot, and casual racism in the form of Jar-Jar are all important elements of soap operas."
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #513 on: November 20, 2015, 03:39:32 PM »
It's not spaceships...

Yeah. It's not like amazing effects were a big factor in why the franchise got big while the family aspects were thought up on the fly as you're winging it during the second movie. Sure George.

The thing is though most people feel the prequels concentrated too much on tech. Too much green screen. Too much focus on 20 minute light saber duels. And he's the one who goes back and adds special effects to the movies. So I don't understand his position at all. I mean I get that's its probably not fun for everybody to shit on the work you've done but I don't get his comments in relation to the movies he delivered.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #514 on: November 20, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
The most neutered soap opera ever sure  :doge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #515 on: November 20, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
Honestly the story/plot wasn't the problem with the prequels - or at least, wasn't one of the top 5 problems with the prequels. I thought the plots were often rather stale, especially the trade stuff in PM...but if the films had a competent script it wouldn't have been an issue at all. Ultimately everyone knew how the three films would go: introduce Anakin, get to the Clone Wars, explain Anakin's descent to the dark side. That was always going to be the arc. How they did it is the problem, not the side stories and subplots.

The excessive green screen, the terrible acting, the lack of any memorable characters, the lack of iconic or even memorable moments, the stale direction and repetitive fight choreography, etc etc etc were all far bigger issues.

So I wouldn't mind Lucas coming up with stories. However what I would mind is Lucas being in charge of the film - because you just know he'd surround himself with sychophants and produce a half assed trilogy.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #516 on: November 20, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »
The biggest problem with the prequels is no one really needed to know the badass Darth Vader was an annoying child who turned into an emo little shit before finally becoming Vader.

Tasty

« Reply #517 on: November 20, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »
Prequels should have been Obi-Wan's journey. Fucking waste of Ewan McGregor (though he does do the best he can, which is more than can be said for Sam Jackson and basically everyone except Ian McDiarmid.)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #518 on: November 20, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »
Ian McDiarmid is awful in the prequels
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #519 on: November 20, 2015, 04:40:29 PM »
Prequels should have been Obi-Wan's journey.

I actually agree with this. Anakin should have been a part of the Obi-Wan story. Not vice versa.

Tasty

« Reply #520 on: November 20, 2015, 04:56:02 PM »

His hamminess is one of the few bright spots. And at least he tried to act, unlike Sam Jackson.

When he tells Anakin, "haha, kill him" and Dooku looks over like "WTF"... :lol
[close]

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #521 on: November 20, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »
You only see one romantic relationship in the prequels and it goes as follows:

Be a creep, knock a girl up, abuse her.

:yeshrug

Then the other main relationship is sterile and fraught with Anakin talkin' like a punkass behind Obi Wan's back. And Obi basically has to end him after like 45 minutes of green screen shit.

:shaq2

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #522 on: November 20, 2015, 05:07:42 PM »
I doubt he's talking about that type of soap opera. I assumed he meant space opera.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #523 on: November 20, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »
Space opera doesn't preclude that the most emotions come from the droids.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #524 on: November 20, 2015, 06:01:56 PM »
I understand Qui-Gon had to get got, but its too bad because Neeson was the only one who could take the stilted dialogue and make it actually work as intended and make it great.

McGregor seemed to sneak in some actual humanity and emotion into the role behind Lucas back. ("YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!" actual came across as  :stahp no matter how it probably read).

McDarmid just hammed it the fuck up because why shouldn't he have?
___

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #525 on: November 20, 2015, 06:39:06 PM »
McGregor was more than OK in a sea of shit. Christopher Lee was pretty commanding as well, but that was him, not the role.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #526 on: November 20, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »

I thought he was great!

You only see one romantic relationship in the prequels and it goes as follows:

Be a creep, knock a girl up, abuse her.

:yeshrug

Then the other main relationship is sterile and fraught with Anakin talkin' like a punkass behind Obi Wan's back. And Obi basically has to end him after like 45 minutes of green screen shit.

:shaq2
I love this summary.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #527 on: November 21, 2015, 01:52:36 AM »

:stahp :stahp :stahp :stahp :stahp
dog

Tasty

« Reply #528 on: November 21, 2015, 03:14:21 AM »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #529 on: November 21, 2015, 01:48:20 PM »
Saw the trailer today in the cinema

Goddamn guys this is gonna be good

Tasty

« Reply #530 on: November 21, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »
Saw the trailer today in the cinema

Goddamn guys this is gonna be good

Which trailer? This one?

:teehee

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #531 on: November 21, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »
Nope, this one:

Tasty

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #533 on: November 25, 2015, 02:03:39 AM »
+1 for crossnerding to Picard's franchise.

Tasty

« Reply #534 on: November 25, 2015, 02:18:37 AM »
+1 for crossnerding to Picard's franchise.

Like my post then beyotch :mouf

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #535 on: November 25, 2015, 02:20:26 AM »
-1 for linking to Fox News.

Tasty

« Reply #536 on: November 25, 2015, 02:27:19 AM »
 >:( fuk u bitch

Tasty

« Reply #537 on: November 25, 2015, 03:22:50 AM »
Remember when people bought tickets to Meet Joe Black to catch a first glimpse of the Phantom Menace trailer?

No because I was 8 at the time

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #538 on: November 25, 2015, 08:34:52 AM »
I know some of you aren't in the Battlefront thread but guys that game is like being in Star Wars for reals

Catching a glimpse of an AT AT through the trees on Endor  :lawd

The presentation and feel is so spot on, only other SW game that had this feel for me is the Sega Star Wars Arcade game (or the 80's Atari Arcade which was one of my first games lol).

If they add a Death Star run at some point :lawd

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #539 on: November 25, 2015, 11:08:08 AM »
I know some of you aren't in the Battlefront thread but guys that game is like being in Star Wars for reals

Catching a glimpse of an AT AT through the trees on Endor  :lawd

The presentation and feel is so spot on, only other SW game that had this feel for me is the Sega Star Wars Arcade game (or the 80's Atari Arcade which was one of my first games lol).

If they add a Death Star run at some point :lawd

YMMV