Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 555012 times)

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #300 on: August 19, 2015, 09:40:58 AM »
Thought he's like Nick Cannon in that they're both lame as fuck, but little kids be eating that goofy shit up.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #301 on: August 19, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »
Nah everyone hates jar jar.

Watching episode 3 now. Last 1.5 hour.

Haters might hate but except for the shitty acting and script this is a good star wars

Way darker then the pansy ones

studyguy

« Reply #302 on: August 19, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »
I don't really care much about SW or shit like Star Trek and shit but I mean I'll go.
I remember owning the Star Wars VHS when I was a kid cause my parents bought it but I don't think I ever actually watched it in full on VHS.

Hype for this is unavoidable though, whether you like it or not, someone out of your circle of friends will probably drag your ass to see it.
pause

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »
Nah everyone hates jar jar.

Watching episode 3 now. Last 1.5 hour.

Haters might hate but except for the shitty acting and script this is a good star wars

Way darker then the pansy ones

Episode III is the best of the prequels, but it's still not good. You can see how much Lucas hates actors, in that Portman and Christiansen are both horrible through Ep. II and III; even so, Ian McDiarmid steals the entire show and manages to make dreadful dialog palatable. He should be renamed Senator Palatable because of this.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2015, 09:46:14 PM »
McGregor was also especially good in RotS, he could've not have been, as he's not a scenery chewing actor. I think this is why McDiarmid was great, he must've at one point just thought fuck it all and took whatever stilted shit he was given and found joy in pushing the ham envelope. McGregor wasn't that but at least brought some life to the part.
___

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2015, 03:51:46 PM »
Watching Ep 4 today a bit between football.

Always odd to see Vader taking orders in that "lack of faith" scene, guess Lucas wasnt sure back then how Vader would be portrayed yet

The costume design is soooo much better then in the prequels, as is the cinematography and acting

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
Goddamn though at all that added cgi fluff, do we really need to see two "funny" things happen when luke and obi ride in to mos eysley? No

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
The added "jokes" in the Mos Eisley scene are so unfunny and completely out of the place with the...well...the whole rest of the movie.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »
Its like ep 4 and 5 were great despite Lucas not because of him

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
There might be some truth to that, but Lucas in the 70's and 80's had his hand in a ton of classic movies, in virtually every capacity. I dunno, maybe at some point George Lucas the filmmaker got replaced by George Lucas the businessman or something.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2015, 06:07:58 PM »
Yeah, I think the machine of what Star Wars became was too big for him as it probably would be for any one individual trying to helm something like that.

The prequels are a different story. I think he just had gotten so out of touch from his roots as a film-maker by that point, that it was basically someone with the ego but no longer the talent to match.

A lot of people like to kick George Lucas and act like he lucked into Star Wars nowadays but I think that's bullshit. I think the original trilogy are all great films, even Jedi which it is common place to now talk about like its a piece of shit or something. Flawed yes. Piece of Shit. No.

I think Star Wars in general is over-analyzed by nerds which brings out a hyper level of critcism (not aimed at anyone here)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:18:28 PM by Stoney Mason »

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »
George Lucas stopped directing movies.  No shit the prequels weren't going to be as good.
vin

Stoney Mason

« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »
I don't mind him altering the originals or adding special effects or all that shit. To me it's his shit so he can do what he wants.

The dick move is not offering the originals untouched to people who want it. That's a pure ego move. Like I'm doing what I want and fuck you if you don't want it.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2015, 04:04:04 PM »
Ep 5, Yoda beating R2D2 with his cane.

Yoda at his best and most cooky imho

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: August 21, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #315 on: August 21, 2015, 04:54:35 PM »
Exactly  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #316 on: August 22, 2015, 04:53:48 AM »
What was it like two decades? And he only really did it for the cash, which he definitely got. I understand the hate, especially going back and altering the originals. But in retrospect the prequels were destined to suck.
Apparently it wasn't just cash, but the terms of his divorce. His ex-wife was able to lay claim to a portion of any Star Wars profits for a period of time which ended just before Lucas announced the Prequels were starting production. According to a friend who has researched a great deal about Lucas, it was literally down to the same month that the ex-wife's claim had expired.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #317 on: August 23, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »
I don't think the prequels sucked because Lucas didn't give a shit, or even that he stopped directing films. As I've said before the prequels feel more corporate outings than films. They're soulless tech demos in which the creative process is directly influenced by researched marketing strategies. Directing becomes less of an artistic expression than essentially being a CEO, cutting costs and maximizing profits.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #318 on: August 23, 2015, 03:34:10 PM »
That comes back to the point I made earlier, that at some point Lucas became more concerned with the Star Wars franchise as a profit-making machine rather than a creative endeavor; the filmmaker got replaced by the brand manager. And since he was the writer, director, producer, and owner there wasn't anyone who could step in and say "Hey, we should focus on making a really good movie first."

You can even see this a little bit in Return of the Jedi, where the original plan to have wookies got scrapped in favor of kid-friendly, more-marketable ewoks.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #319 on: August 23, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
I don't think the prequels sucked because Lucas didn't give a shit, or even that he stopped directing films. As I've said before the prequels feel more corporate outings than films. They're soulless tech demos in which the creative process is directly influenced by researched marketing strategies. Directing becomes less of an artistic expression than essentially being a CEO, cutting costs and maximizing profits.

I disagree. The way those prequels suck don't feel like marketing strategies. The movie doesn't feel focus grouped. No focus group would come up with those plots or situations.

Yes, there is marketing output of lets tie it into a billion shows and toys but that is the case with anything nowadays. I'm sure the current movies have the same thing going on, but I guarantee they won't be as bad as the prequels

I think those prequels were poorly written and directed and acted on an epic level even for a blockbuster. I don't think it was inevitable that it went that way if more people were actually around saying this sucks as it was happening. Even most blockbusters don't fail that miserably outside of Transformers movies.

I think the commercial imperative can co-exist with the creative imperative but you have to have some talent and some backbone, and some integrity and honesty. I think Lucas was deficient in those areas by the time it came to make those movies.

TLDR: I think he legit thought those prequels were good movies. Which goes to show how out of touch he was.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:11:27 PM by Stoney Mason »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #320 on: August 23, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
Lately when I get the urge to re-watch the Prequels, I just watch the RedLetterMedia extended reviews of them. The Prequels are really poorly structured.

Lucas was quoted as saying during The Phantom Menace production that, as the first new Star Wars movies in over 10 years, people should pay him to work on the movies.

bluemax

« Reply #321 on: August 23, 2015, 07:11:22 PM »
What was it like two decades? And he only really did it for the cash, which he definitely got. I understand the hate, especially going back and altering the originals. But in retrospect the prequels were destined to suck.
Apparently it wasn't just cash, but the terms of his divorce. His ex-wife was able to lay claim to a portion of any Star Wars profits for a period of time which ended just before Lucas announced the Prequels were starting production. According to a friend who has researched a great deal about Lucas, it was literally down to the same month that the ex-wife's claim had expired.

That divorce was so fucking bitter. When he gave money to USC to build some new buildings everyone joked that the real reason was because he wanted them to get rid of the Marcia Lucas building, not just rename it. He wanted it completely gone.

That comes back to the point I made earlier, that at some point Lucas became more concerned with the Star Wars franchise as a profit-making machine rather than a creative endeavor; the filmmaker got replaced by the brand manager. And since he was the writer, director, producer, and owner there wasn't anyone who could step in and say "Hey, we should focus on making a really good movie first."

You can even see this a little bit in Return of the Jedi, where the original plan to have wookies got scrapped in favor of kid-friendly, more-marketable ewoks.

http://www.cracked.com/article_22906_6-dumb-aspects-original-star-wars-trilogy-you-forgot.html
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2015, 07:11:32 PM »
Lately when I get the urge to re-watch the Prequels, I just watch the RedLetterMedia extended reviews of them.

Same.

The Prequels are far more interesting and entertaining when you look at them like an autopsy trying to diagnose it rather than as actual movies for actual entertainment. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:30:01 PM by Stoney Mason »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »
I disagree. The way those prequels suck don't feel like marketing strategies. The movie doesn't feel focus grouped. No focus group would come up with those plots or situations.

(...)

I think the commercial imperative can co-exist with the creative imperative but you have to have some talent and some backbone, and some integrity and honesty. I think Lucas was deficient in those areas by the time it came to make those movies.

TLDR: I think he legit thought those prequels were good movies. Which goes to show how out of touch he was.

Well there's the pod racing but Lucas was never the least astute businessman either. The films are all his, as you say no focus group would condone what is basically a very bad political drama driven forward by talking heads, and I wouldn't even say he lacked backbone or honesty, I would suspect on the contrary that he was too rigid on holding the helm and not able to listen to critical feedback. Lucas was an artistic talent to be reckoned with, it is fairly well documented that he was a major driving force in Raiders of the Lost Ark (or to be more precise, that the duo he formed with Spielberg reached an insane equilibrium), and honestly it is a bit unfair how his paternity of the original films has been minimized by the fan's discourse in the past. But he was completely washed out when he did those films.
ὕβρις

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2015, 09:34:40 PM »
I still maintain that people that hate the first three episodes several orders of magnitude more than the next three either have an irrational attachment to puppets and industrial mise-en-scčne or can't handle the fact that their beloved space opera from childhood is, well, a space opera full of tonal inconsistencies and bizarre framing choices. (Naboo is just as snooze as the Forest Moon of Endor. :patel)

Or they're super mad that Attack of the Clones falsifies that nerd meme that the second movie in a trilogy is always the bestest movie in a trilogy because it doesn't have to start or conclude anything.

Many Bothans died to bring you this post.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »
Lately when I get the urge to re-watch the Prequels, I just watch the RedLetterMedia extended reviews of them. The Prequels are really poorly structured.

Lucas was quoted as saying during The Phantom Menace production that, as the first new Star Wars movies in over 10 years, people should pay him to work on the movies.

I remember in the RLM review of Phantom Menace, they mentioned something about how at some point near the end of production when Lucas showed the studio his final cut, they pointed out that he had 4 different plots going on at the end (space battle, ground battle, etc) and that it would be hard for the audience to keep interested in it all. And that's when he realized how much unnecessary stuff he was putting in.

I think if it was made with the same formula that studios normally use, it would be a lot more focused and would therefore be more interesting. I like corny movies, and Star Wars can't avoid being corny, as long as they have charm and that's a hard standard to meet if you're a studio exec or if you're the creator of a mega-franchise that last screened 20 years ago. And ended.

He probably would have done better if they gave him less time and money or something

Stoney Mason

« Reply #326 on: August 23, 2015, 10:19:19 PM »

I remember in the RLM review of Phantom Menace, they mentioned something about how at some point near the end of production when Lucas showed the studio his final cut, they pointed out that he had 4 different plots going on at the end (space battle, ground battle, etc) and that it would be hard for the audience to keep interested in it all.

The main problem is that even if there are 4 plot threads at the end, nobody cares about them. Nobody cares about Anakin-mini flying a spaceship around. The ground battle is horribly boring and whatever Amidala is doing is confusing and boring. The only part that anyone cares about is the battle between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul, because its the only part that actually has a bit of tension.

I think a movie can have all kinds of flaws but still be worthwhile but if the movie can't move you to care by the end, its failed on a fundamental level beyond just plotting splits at the end.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #327 on: August 23, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
True. Less money and control means you only focus on the most important bit.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #328 on: August 23, 2015, 11:10:49 PM »
oh I agree the movie could have definitely had a tighter focus in general. I just think he (Lucas) would have probably still fucked it up.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #330 on: August 24, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »
Damn that would have been strong.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #331 on: August 25, 2015, 01:11:13 AM »
I like that ending but understand why Lucas/the studio wouldn't like it. I wish they could have found a middle ground between a bleak ending and the celebration ending we got.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #332 on: August 25, 2015, 10:14:32 AM »
I know I'm a curmudgeon for this, but I'd take the theatrical ending if there were no Ewoks.

They're not even cute. They're so creepy.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #333 on: August 26, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »
Sandpeople on the other hand :rock

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #334 on: August 26, 2015, 03:04:16 PM »
Sandpeople on the other hand :rock

That's not the preferred nomenclature, dude.
©@©™

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #335 on: August 26, 2015, 03:20:33 PM »
Indigenous cloth people?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: August 26, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
Desert-Americans
©@©™

studyguy

« Reply #337 on: August 27, 2015, 04:38:45 PM »
https://instagram.com/p/65PhxOs_RH/

Looks pretty good  8)
Not really even into SW but it's hard not to see why people are hyped over this.
pause

studyguy

« Reply #338 on: September 01, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
Why does all the official art for merch look like it was pulled off of a 14 year old's deviant art who was just starting out on photoshop?
Is it an aesthetic they actually aim for or something? It's like cheap stills from the film superimposed on blue or red gradient backgrounds, nothing else.
pause

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #339 on: September 01, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »
Why it the main dude always sweating or breathing heavy ???
vin

Tasty

« Reply #340 on: September 01, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »

:dead

First the racists and now the sexists, Star Wars really does appeal to everyone!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: September 01, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
How do I know when to fap?
©@©™

studyguy

« Reply #342 on: September 01, 2015, 03:06:59 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

First the racists and now the sexists, Star Wars really does appeal to everyone!

What kind of complaint is that lmao
And yeah it's a woman, Christie about to jump from HBO $$$ to pools of Disney/Star Wars $$$
pause

« Reply #343 on: September 01, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That's an awesome response.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: September 01, 2015, 05:19:51 PM »
The armor needs prominent boob plates, otherwise I won't know if the character is a woman or not.
dog

studyguy

« Reply #345 on: September 01, 2015, 05:22:22 PM »
The armor needs prominent boob plates, otherwise I won't know if the character is a woman or not.

So long as we can accommodate everyone's needs here.

pause

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #346 on: September 01, 2015, 05:32:45 PM »
Ooh, a towel-rack!

Mods Help

« Reply #347 on: September 01, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_22906_6-dumb-aspects-original-star-wars-trilogy-you-forgot.html

Great link!

"No one took Star Wars seriously. Look at this Ebert review"

*clicks review*

"4 out of 4 stars"

Whether or not people took Star Wars seriously, they definitely take it more seriously than they ever will treat Cracked
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:05:37 PM by Mods Help »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #348 on: September 01, 2015, 08:38:38 PM »
A Mods Help post that I strongly agree with. :ohhh
dog

Tasty

« Reply #349 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:52 PM »

Careful, soon you'll be jacking it to lolis and defending Jared Fogle.

Tasty

« Reply #350 on: September 01, 2015, 09:01:04 PM »

Careful, soon you'll be jacking it to lolis and defending Jared Fogle.

Implying he doesn't already.

Mods Help

« Reply #351 on: September 01, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »

In sorry. That was not supposed to happen. I thought you were my aniki, ka ne?

Tasty

« Reply #352 on: September 01, 2015, 09:03:47 PM »
YOU ARE MY FRIEND

AAAHHHH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: September 01, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »

In sorry. That was not supposed to happen. I thought you were my aniki, ka ne?

You accidentally posted under the wrong account, didn't you. :umad
dog

Mods Help

« Reply #354 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:02 PM »
No, I didn't.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #355 on: September 01, 2015, 10:17:03 PM »
I might have to get on this train. Female stormtrooper having the most kickass armor? YES PLEASE.

« Reply #356 on: September 03, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »
I'm tempted to pick up that Aftermath novel that comes out tomorrow. And I'm getting my kid a Force Awakens coloring book.

Oh God what is wrong with me. Am I getting sucked back into Star Wars fandom?
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #357 on: September 03, 2015, 08:15:46 PM »
From the moment George Lucas removed himself from the picture, we were all in danger of being sucked back in.

My biggest fear, and it's not even a particularly huge one, is that JJ will make a movie as soulless as his Star Trek reboot. Those aren't bad movies, but they're also not memorable.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #358 on: September 03, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »

Greatest toy ever

spoiler (click to show/hide)
for $150 though  :(
[close]
WDW

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #359 on: September 04, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »
From the moment George Lucas removed himself from the picture, we were all in danger of being sucked back in.

My biggest fear, and it's not even a particularly huge one, is that JJ will make a movie as soulless as his Star Trek reboot. Those aren't bad movies, but they're also not memorable.

Well the prequels were soulless and the story was garbage.

Least with Abrams you get 1/2 the equation.