Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557388 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #900 on: December 23, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »
Watched it last night. I thought it was a good entertaining romp. I didn't think it was great or as good as the original 2 films mainly because of the lack of new things. But its easily on par with jedi and of course its better than all the shitty prequels. My complaints would be that it occasionally leans on nostalgia too much as a crutch and that its predictable. But that second complaint exists for 99% of films.

I liked the new cast especially John Boyega who gave the movie a sense of fun. I liked the tone of the movie which felt more appropriate and actually like Star Wars once again unlike those awful prequels. I think this movie turned out as well as could be expected given what they were trying to achieve and the stink of the last 3 films. I think it gives hope to the franchise which it was lacking. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #901 on: December 23, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »
Watched it last night. I thought it was a good entertaining romp. I didn't think it was great or as good as the original 2 films mainly because of the lack of new things. But its easily on par with jedi and of course its better than all the shitty prequels. My complaints would be that it occasionally leans on nostalgia too much as a crutch and that its predictable. But that second complaint exists for 99% of films.

I liked the new cast especially John Boyega who gave the movie a sense of fun. I liked the tone of the movie which felt more appropriate and actually like Star Wars once again unlike those awful prequels. I think this movie turned out as well as could be expected given what they were trying to achieve and the stink of the last 3 films. I think it gives hope to the franchise which it was lacking.
Would you say that it... gives A New Hope to the Return of the Jedi franchise in which a certain Empire Strikes Back??

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #902 on: December 23, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »
SPOILER: HAN DIES

spoiler (click to show/hide)
In The Fast & The Furious movies.

:heyman
[close]

Bork prophet total

:lol
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #903 on: December 23, 2015, 01:48:39 PM »

Would you say that it... gives A New Hope to the Return of the Jedi franchise in which a certain Empire Strikes Back??

Personally, I could go either way.
yar

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #904 on: December 23, 2015, 01:56:47 PM »

Personally, I could go either way.
Me too ;)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #905 on: December 23, 2015, 02:04:15 PM »
Been re watching the Plinkett reviews and man, it's shocking to me how much of the flaws and mind boggling decisions weren't present here. The flaws are different but small compared to what happened before and the good the movie does do.

I understand Snorenado and others not being sure about the fanservice. I disagree but it isn't something I don't see some coming away with. But I do appreciate that we can all agree that it's a good movie. Which I'm sure is all we wanted in the first place.

I think its pretty clear the main goal here was to make Star Wars likable again. The prequels are so unlikable and I mean not just in a poorly directed way but in a tonal shift from the original movies that the whole thing needed to be rehabbed. And the clearest and easiest inspiration was to go back to the source material. I don't necessarily think as a long term game plan just sort of rehashing the original movies is a good creative strategy but for this first one it was probably essential.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #906 on: December 23, 2015, 02:15:12 PM »
The Force Awakens was put in a pretty tight spot, really. It had to salvage the reputation of the franchise, introduce a new generation of fans to the Star Wars universe, and allay the fears of long-time Star Wars fans that they were actually going to get a new Star Wars movie that respected its own heritage. That's a tough task, and a balancing act, but I think it handled all three of those things really well and gives the franchise a very solid foundation for the next two movies to build on.

If TFA ends up being the worst of the new Star Wars movies, then we're in for a great time at the movies.

Oh, and then there's the off-year Star Wars movies to consider. With a bit more leeway to work with and dealing with largely new characters and situations, I think they could actually end up being more interesting than the new mainline movies. So, I'm really looking forward to how those go.
dog

Mods Help

« Reply #907 on: December 23, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »
I think TFA is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't gray area. I think what they did was a success and completely understood why they did it. I don't agree on rehashing the death star but hey, I understand why they'd want to do it. If they drifted too far off from the star wars formula, people would question whether or not it's actually star wars. if they made the movie as close to the originals as possible, people would still bitch that it's too similar. I think that they did a good job of resetting the table and the tone of what makes Star Wars "Star Wars" even with the unnecessary nostalgia, to hopefully allow for some more forward and different interpretations of the franchise in future sequels. Over reliance on the past movies isn't a good long term plan, but when trying to coax people into getting back into a franchise that was previously fatigued to death by a shit trilogy? I'd say go all out with as much back references as the film allows.

One thing is for sure: MOST of us are excited for more Star Wars.

Mission accomplished?

Mods Help

« Reply #908 on: December 23, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »
Been re watching the Plinkett reviews and man, it's shocking to me how much of the flaws and mind boggling decisions weren't present here. The flaws are different but small compared to what happened before and the good the movie does do.

I understand Snorenado and others not being sure about the fanservice. I disagree but it isn't something I don't see some coming away with. But I do appreciate that we can all agree that it's a good movie. Which I'm sure is all we wanted in the first place.

I rewatched a Plinkett review and he does a good job accentuating how the originals had a lot of visual storytelling with no dialogue, contrasted with how fucking padded and boring the prequel trilogy is in regards to relaying information to viewers. The new movie is surprisingly adept at visual storytelling.

Mods Help

« Reply #909 on: December 23, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/12/22/why-j-j-abrams-now-regrets-deboarding-the-star-wars-chair-before-episode-viii/

Great discussion on reddit talking about the dialogue, which factors into the "this shits on the prequel trilogy" thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3xy9xc/spoilers_a_small_and_overlooked_line/

Especially this quote:

Reminds me of one of the interviews with JJ where he talked about Kasdan influencing his writing on the film. Kasdan would be telling him, "You don't have to say that! Just let the characters be" or something similar to that. You can definitely tell how they got the most out of minimal dialogue in certain areas.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #910 on: December 23, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »
Seeing it tonight.

Even though I know the big spoiler already. Fucking internet, man.  :doge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #911 on: December 23, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »
I mean I would rather not know than know going in but in reality its telegraphed pretty easily and early. I would say knowing that won't really ruin your enjoyment of the flick.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #912 on: December 23, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »
yeah i got spoiled on that before i saw the movie and it didn't affect my enjoyment at all. still a good movie.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #913 on: December 23, 2015, 09:03:27 PM »
MMA

Mods Help

« Reply #914 on: December 23, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #915 on: December 23, 2015, 09:17:17 PM »
named traitor? I need to see this. Read a lot of spoilers because foreknowledge doesn't ruin entertainment for me.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #916 on: December 24, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »
Doesnt that guy get shot in the back by bitchmade Solo? Not really valiant.
fat

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #917 on: December 24, 2015, 12:25:58 AM »
Holy-Fucking-Shit. Star Wars is back, baby!  :rejoice

A lot of "It's poetry. It rhymes." moments but overall I was thoroughly entertained.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #918 on: December 24, 2015, 02:48:25 AM »
I'm immediately going to get shit on for this, but Han Solo is one of my least favorite characters in the original trilogy.

I don't really care for a suave, scoundrel type of person that doesn't actually do much scoundrel stuff on screen. People drool over how "badass" and cool he is, but in a galaxy or story universe that revolves around priests using force powers against each other, along with those same priests wielding glowing death sticks, hes so small time it hurts.

I also think Harrison Ford is a boring, wooden turd when it comes to acting career as a whole. Maybe it could be just that. Harrison Ford has very little range when it comes to acting.

I've said this to friends in the past, replace every role Harrison Ford had with Jack Nicholson. Jack as Han Solo? :bow2
OH!

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #919 on: December 24, 2015, 02:54:16 AM »
:foxx
yar

mormapope

« Reply #920 on: December 24, 2015, 02:58:18 AM »
Harrison Ford has been making that face for the last 15 years.
OH!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #921 on: December 24, 2015, 02:59:06 AM »
If you're going to have characters talking about a code of space-bushido and a mystical force that flows through life and the universe, binding it all together, it's good to have a character taking the piss out of it a bit, or it can get self-serious in a hurry.

One of the billion problems with the prequels was having the protagonists be almost exclusively Jedi.  To continue my streak of GoT comparisons, it's like only having Starks to root for.

mormapope

« Reply #922 on: December 24, 2015, 03:01:34 AM »
If you're going to have characters talking about a code of space-bushido and a mystical force that flows through life and the universe, binding it all together, it's good to have a character taking the piss out of it a bit, or it can get self-serious in a hurry.

One of the billion problems with the prequels was having the protagonists be almost exclusively Jedi.

Very true, but I've never been into Han's character at all. If I could replace Han/Harrison Ford with Lando/Billy Dee Williams taking his place, I would in a heartbeat.

I think I just hate Harrison Ford.
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #923 on: December 24, 2015, 04:22:59 AM »
Jack as Deckard  :lawd

He was considered for that role as well, think he turned it down. Jack was also considered for Han Solo it turns out.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #924 on: December 24, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »
Indy > Han

Han is really only cool in ANH. The only cool thing Han does in the rest of the series is ditch the star destroyer by sticking to the back and going out with the trash.

While Han isn't a Jedi, the "he doesn't believe in the force" thing is only ever brought up in ANH. After that, his sole reason for existence is getting into Leia's pants or saving Luke.

Han in TFA was the best Han yet because it factored heavily in to his character development from New Hope. Going from "none of it's true" to "it's true, all of it" in the same room is pretty full circle.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #925 on: December 24, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
The ROTJ version of Han was easily the worst. Somehow the carbonite freezing turned him into a comic relief character.
dog

Mods Help

« Reply #926 on: December 24, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »
Honestly at this point if Han had died in ROTJ, I'm not sure it would b resonant. As said, he's kind of lost in the shuffle and I don't think it would have given the character a nice arc. I think his story in TFA gives the character the arc he needed and deserved.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #927 on: December 24, 2015, 11:36:52 AM »
I've been thinking about the young Han Solo movie that Disney has coming up in 2018 and I can think of a few ways that could turn out good, or at least entertaining. I'd really like for it to really explore the dark underbelly of the Star Wars universe that we've really only had a glimpse of so far: bounty hunters, rough and tumble outpost cantinas, crime lords, and smuggling. There's definitely a lot of room to play around with some cool locations and weird characters, maybe have it either be some sort of swashbuckling high-seas pirate adventure set in space or a scifi heist movie. Hopefully they don't try to play it really safe and have it be just some straight-forward, a-to-b checklist of Han's life story, though I kinda think that's exactly what they'll do.

Edit: But with Phil Lord and Christopher Miller directing, I have some hope.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 11:41:43 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Mods Help

« Reply #928 on: December 24, 2015, 12:02:52 PM »
Honestly, I want an Obi Wan movie.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #929 on: December 24, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »

Personally I'd like to see a Darth Sidious/Darth Plagueis arc.
YMMV

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #930 on: December 24, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »
I want a proper fucking Rogue Squadron movie.

Though maybe I should hold out and see if Rogue One scratches that itch for me.
MMA

mormapope

« Reply #931 on: December 24, 2015, 02:57:15 PM »
I want a Star Wars movie that doesn't take place in the same timeframe as the prequels and original movies. Or, better yet, adapt the first two KOTOR games into movies, and then have a third episode released that finishes that story. Fuck EA and Bioware for hiding the story in a shitty WoW clone.

OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #932 on: December 24, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
What's the point of adapting KOTOR and distancing from the original movies when KOTOR still takes place in a Republic with Jedi being pretty much extinct?  Mandolorian Wars are pretty much no different than what we're dealing with now, just different characters and they have shit Bioware armor. There's even a Death Star esque weapon in the Star Forge.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #933 on: December 24, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »
There's way more Jedi in the KOTOR games than either the OG (eps 4-6) trilogy or this new one.

Personally, I would like to see them turn the first KOTOR game into a trilogy- it would work perfectly. Obviously the 2nd game has a better story but I think Revan's character arc from the first would make for better movies.
yar

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #934 on: December 24, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »
It was the 70s, Han Solo was just space Jack Tripper.

Mods Help

« Reply #935 on: December 24, 2015, 07:48:31 PM »
There's way more Jedi in the KOTOR games than either the OG (eps 4-6) trilogy or this new one.

Personally, I would like to see them turn the first KOTOR game into a trilogy- it would work perfectly. Obviously the 2nd game has a better story but I think Revan's character arc from the first would make for better movies.

I'm not sure why more Jedi is a positive considering the prequels' overuse of them. Then again, KOTOR did that right.

mormapope

« Reply #936 on: December 24, 2015, 07:57:23 PM »
I think a three episode format could work for KOTOR movies depending on what would be cut or added. The Pegasus mining facility part of KOTOR 2 and the space city stuff right after would have to be cut down significantly. The last planet in KOTOR would have to be cut or reworked completely (helping one tribe or the other fuck each other over was weird to begin with given the story context).

The third episode would have to bring Revan and The Exile together, fighting some sort of weird and unseen force driven thing that Kreia described at length. While these movies will never happen, I think the stories in both KOTOR 1 & 2 would be great movies, with a third movie bringing it home.

KOTOR 1 and 2 have a great mix of jedi and non jedi. Jolee is the best jedi character from KOTOR 1, Bastilla is okay, cat woman had no depth. Mission and the wookie are okay, Carth was cool.

KOTOR 2 has a stronger cast. Kreia is a very ambivalent mentor, Atton hides a fucked up history, Bao Dur shares a fucked up history with the Exile. Forgot the other characters since I haven't played it in a long time, but they were better than KOTOR 1's characters, except for Jolee. 
OH!

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #937 on: December 24, 2015, 09:13:51 PM »
KOTOR 1 could be split into 3 movies, easily.

Episode 1: amnesia Revan wakes up on the ship, has to escape with Carth, then rescue Bastilla. Rest of the movie is training on Dantooine and then discovering the existence of the Star Forge in the ruins.

Episode 2: galaxy spanning scavenger hunt, with stops on Manaan, Kashyyk, and Tatooine to discover clues about the Star Forge. Movie ends with revelation of Revan's true identity.

Episode 3: Korriban and the Star Forge. Revan chooses to save the galaxy and is redeemed, flies off into uncharted space at the end if you want to do more KOTOR movies.

Done-ski.
yar

mormapope

« Reply #938 on: December 24, 2015, 09:21:32 PM »
That would work.

The Star Forge would definitely have to be demonstrated better. At the end of KOTOR 1. Darth Malak laughs manically as he unleashes the star forge on the player. Turns out it can make a lot of droids quickly, which you can use disable/destroy droid or force lightning on, annihilating the room in seconds  :lol

He should've created androids that wield lightsabers and rocket launchers, anything other than standard battle droids.
OH!

Mods Help

« Reply #939 on: December 24, 2015, 09:50:14 PM »
only if revan is a black woman. that's canon. *folds arms*

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #940 on: December 24, 2015, 09:51:32 PM »
Jack Nicholson is my favorite actor of all time, but nah. Love the guy but don't really want to see him in every role, and he wouldn't have worked out as Indy or Han IMO.

Harrison Ford is why those characters are as popular as they are, he did a great job making them what they are and I wouldn't have it any different.

Indy > Han btw.
I don't know why I just thought of this, but that-era's Chevy Chase would have also been a good choice for Han Solo. Bruce Dern, too.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #941 on: December 24, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »

You had it; it was AotC, and it sucked. ;-)

But with the timeline established, we can always have Obi-Wan's adventures on Tattooine, watching Luke grow from afar, sneaking into Mos Eisley trying to corner the few bits of human trim that come walking through the cantina's doors, eventually getting a woman pregnant, and then convincing everyone to call the planet "Jakku."

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #942 on: December 24, 2015, 10:03:03 PM »
I just want Disney to remake the Prequel Trilogy.
dog

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #943 on: December 24, 2015, 10:34:03 PM »
Jack Nicholson is my favorite actor of all time, but nah. Love the guy but don't really want to see him in every role, and he wouldn't have worked out as Indy or Han IMO.

Harrison Ford is why those characters are as popular as they are, he did a great job making them what they are and I wouldn't have it any different.

Indy > Han btw.
I don't know why I just thought of this, but that-era's Chevy Chase would have also been a good choice for Han Solo. Bruce Dern, too.

No and hell no.

Only other legit option for Han Solo would have been Tom Selleck and it would have to be taken an entirely different direction. He would have worked but he wouldn't have worked out like Ford did.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #944 on: December 24, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #945 on: December 24, 2015, 10:36:52 PM »

Indy > Han btw.

No and hell no.

Only other legit option for Han Solo would have been Tom Selleck and it would have to be taken an entirely different direction. He would have worked but he wouldn't have worked out like Ford did.

Burt Reynolds, tho
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #946 on: December 24, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »
No Snore, Tom Selleck

And if we were to recast today I'd say probably Denzel would have been the best choice.
YMMV

Mods Help

« Reply #947 on: December 24, 2015, 10:40:56 PM »
denzen as han :drool

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #948 on: December 24, 2015, 10:43:19 PM »
denzen as han :drool

And he would have worked, too

YMMV

Tasty

« Reply #949 on: December 24, 2015, 10:57:16 PM »

Episode 1: amnesia Revan wakes up on the ship, has to escape with Carth, then rescue Bastilla. Rest of the movie is training on Dantooine and then discovering the existence of the Star Forge in the ruins.

Episode 2: galaxy spanning scavenger hunt, with stops on Manaan, Kashyyk, and Tatooine to discover clues about the Star Forge. Movie ends with revelation of Revan's true identity.

Episode 3: Korriban and the Star Forge. Revan chooses to save the galaxy and is redeemed, flies off into uncharted space at the end if you want to do more KOTOR movies.

Done-ski.

Sounds like three acts of one movie to me. :yeshrug

We need more self-contained shit, not less.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #950 on: December 24, 2015, 11:17:42 PM »
I've been thinking about the young Han Solo movie that Disney has coming up in 2018 and I can think of a few ways that could turn out good, or at least entertaining. I'd really like for it to really explore the dark underbelly of the Star Wars universe that we've really only had a glimpse of so far: bounty hunters, rough and tumble outpost cantinas, crime lords, and smuggling. There's definitely a lot of room to play around with some cool locations and weird characters, maybe have it either be some sort of swashbuckling high-seas pirate adventure set in space or a scifi heist movie. Hopefully they don't try to play it really safe and have it be just some straight-forward, a-to-b checklist of Han's life story, though I kinda think that's exactly what they'll do.

The funny thing is that in the first movie they do a bunch of implying that Han isn't necessarily to be trusted, only cares about the skrilla and he's only a temporary ally because that's no moon. Then suddenly he's totally on board with the rebellion, while continuously saying he's only around until [X]. Even with the hamfisted Leia subplot.

And for all the discussion of that seedy underbelly we get Vader in a room with a bunch of bounty hunters and then Jabba's palace. Most of the rest of those type of characters only got any fleshing in the EU. (Actually, we got to see a bit more of it in the prequels in II. When they show the lower seedy sections of Coruscant.)

A Han movie does need to be like a heist double-crossing everybody type deal gone bad film written first. Then you splash Star Wars and Han over the top.

Could even do something ala Ocean's Eleven (I've always wanted sequels to that remake) and like fifty thousand other films where they don't reveal Han and Chewie's gambit until the end where they had the whole thing under control after everything seemingly to go wrong for the previous half hour. Since you have to make Han a kind of god for a lot of the fans.

Also, he can shoot somebody right away in like the first two minutes of the film. (And ideally, have it backfire by having him kill someone that would have prevented the entire deal from having gone wrong, etc.)

benjipwns

« Reply #951 on: December 24, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »
I hate like 95% of Smokin' Aces but you could easily do something of that design with all the various Star Wars bounty hunters and it'd probably do pretty well.

Mods Help

« Reply #952 on: December 25, 2015, 12:38:45 AM »

The funny thing is that in the first movie they do a bunch of implying that Han isn't necessarily to be trusted, only cares about the skrilla and he's only a temporary ally because that's no moon. Then suddenly he's totally on board with the rebellion, while continuously saying he's only around until [X]. Even with the hamfisted Leia subplot.

Yeah, this is why I was talking about earlier. It's pretty clear that he was supposed to only be in the first one Harrison ended up knocking it out of the park to the point where people wanted him back in the sequel. So in the sequel they have him constantly threatening to leave but never really does.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #953 on: December 25, 2015, 12:46:24 AM »

Done-ski.

Sounds like three acts of one movie to me. :yeshrug

As someone that has made movies before, you should know better.

Wait, of course. You haven't actually played these games, because they're not made by Nintendo, so you have no clue how story dense they are. Let's just say we're not talking Super Mario RPG here, now run along. The adults are talking.
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #954 on: December 25, 2015, 12:48:11 AM »
I'd watch a Super Mario RPG based movie.

Tasty

« Reply #955 on: December 25, 2015, 12:50:20 AM »
:lol Jesus I didn't insult your mother or anything, calm down. And of course I didn't play them, I was going on what you put in your post.

But no "dense" Star Wars movie is ever getting made. It's fun to think about, sure. But in general I'm not a fan of splitting a singular work up into a series of things.

benjipwns

« Reply #956 on: December 25, 2015, 12:52:54 AM »
KOTOR $3, "Gold" Wine status - http://store.steampowered.com/app/32370/
KOTOR II $3, has native Linux client - http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #957 on: December 25, 2015, 12:57:35 AM »

Yeah, but we also need fewer movies trying to shoehorn in multiple plot arcs (eg Dark Knight Rises, Age of Ultron, etc.).

Tasty

« Reply #958 on: December 25, 2015, 01:02:13 AM »

Yeah, but we also need fewer movies trying to shoehorn in multiple plot arcs (eg Dark Knight Rises, Age of Ultron, etc.).

I would argue in those cases the best solution would be to trim shit out, not make a Dark Knight Rises - Part 2.

Tasty

« Reply #959 on: December 25, 2015, 01:02:55 AM »
KOTOR $3, "Gold" Wine status - http://store.steampowered.com/app/32370/
KOTOR II $3, has native Linux client - http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/

I'm on Mac now. And my free time is far more precious than those price tags at the moment.