Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557484 times)

Mods Help

Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #1080 on: December 30, 2015, 05:24:37 PM »
Let's be real, some people were always going to hate it. Some of it is expectations, some of it is because it's a new installment. Who really cares?

My problem isn't people disliking it. My issue is how some people frame their dissatisfaction. Many are treating it like the film can't be enjoyed on any level beyond a cynical cash grab. It feels very reactionary and hyperbolic, as if the movie is entirely soulless and has no merits at all. It's just odd. But I guess should be expected due to the very forward and exposed marketing campaign. But still. It's Star Wars. What do you expect?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1081 on: December 30, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1082 on: December 30, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
There's a theater in Atlanta that has first showing of the day for $4.25.

:rejoice

Which theater?

North Dekalb Mall. Pretty far from where you're at if I remember correctly?
yar

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1083 on: December 30, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »
I like that the term Mary Sue is being used so much recently because its like an immediate signal if a person uses it that they are an idiot. It saves a lot of time from having to read their page long posts on the subject.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1084 on: December 30, 2015, 06:50:03 PM »
"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that," the franchise's creator told Charlie Rose.

Star Wars creator George Lucas took a slight shot at The Walt Disney Company during a recent interview with Charlie Rose.

Lucas sold his space adventure franchise to Disney for $4 billion in 2012. The latest title released under the Disney moniker has already grossed more than $1 billion.

While talking to Rose about how much he loved the films he created and four of which he directed -- even calling them his "kids" -- Lucas said “I sold them to the white slavers that take these things, and…” Lucas did not finish his thought (49 minutes in to the clip below), but rather laughed before Rose moved on to another question.

Lucas went on to tell Rose he has accepted that the franchise is now in other hands, then he somewhat criticized the latest installment, The Force Awakens.

"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas told Rose. "I made them completely different -- different planets, different spaceships to make it new."

Before the deal came about, Lucas said he planned on writing and directing the sequels to his original trilogy. Then the sale occurred. Disney was not interested in his ideas for the follow-ups, so he stayed away from the production of Force Awakens, he said.

"They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway, but if I get in there, I’m just going to cause trouble, because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore, and all I would do is muck everything up,” he said. “And so I said, ‘OK, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.’”

The latest installment has been a massive success and will likely become the highest grossing film of all time.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-lucas-quips-he-sold-851545

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1085 on: December 30, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
such whine

much butthurt

GEORGE

wow
yar

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #1086 on: December 30, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »
i don't get the mary sue complaints, she's basically an older, female version of anakin from ep.1 except that's ok since he's the chosen one and you know he becomes vader

Tasty

« Reply #1087 on: December 30, 2015, 07:13:18 PM »
"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that," the franchise's creator told Charlie Rose.

Star Wars creator George Lucas took a slight shot at The Walt Disney Company during a recent interview with Charlie Rose.

Lucas sold his space adventure franchise to Disney for $4 billion in 2012. The latest title released under the Disney moniker has already grossed more than $1 billion.

While talking to Rose about how much he loved the films he created and four of which he directed -- even calling them his "kids" -- Lucas said “I sold them to the white slavers that take these things, and…” Lucas did not finish his thought (49 minutes in to the clip below), but rather laughed before Rose moved on to another question.

Lucas went on to tell Rose he has accepted that the franchise is now in other hands, then he somewhat criticized the latest installment, The Force Awakens.

"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas told Rose. "I made them completely different -- different planets, different spaceships to make it new."

Before the deal came about, Lucas said he planned on writing and directing the sequels to his original trilogy. Then the sale occurred. Disney was not interested in his ideas for the follow-ups, so he stayed away from the production of Force Awakens, he said.

"They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway, but if I get in there, I’m just going to cause trouble, because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore, and all I would do is muck everything up,” he said. “And so I said, ‘OK, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.’”

The latest installment has been a massive success and will likely become the highest grossing film of all time.

I kinda get where he's coming from. TFA is basically ANH retread. Where his argument falls apart is the fact he made the prequels, which while different were different in a bad way.

Hopefully the next two movies feel a lot more different.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1088 on: December 30, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »
I SOLD THEM TO THE WHITE SLAVERS
pcp

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1089 on: December 30, 2015, 07:56:38 PM »
You'd think the director of the classic Red Tails would be more concious about saying shit like that
 :letsfukk
OH!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1090 on: December 30, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »
Lucas is mighty salty that JJ Abrams jumped into his franchise and produced the best Star Wars movie in 30 years and it's going to make more money than all the prequel movies combined.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1091 on: December 30, 2015, 09:35:03 PM »
:GOGE had three movies and decades to decide how to tell those Prequels, and they suck. They are not good movies, they aren't good Star Wars. They're great special effects fests, but nothing else.

TFA at least had me cheering and screaming during the film and still trying to figure stuff out after the credits rolled. JJ gets what young GL understood, but forgot as he became too much in control of his own environment.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1092 on: December 30, 2015, 09:47:29 PM »
I just hope Lucas lives long enough to see Disney release the non-futzed with OG Trilogy on Blu-Ray (probably after Episode IX is released). :lawd
©@©™

Mods Help

« Reply #1093 on: December 30, 2015, 10:24:54 PM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Mods Help

« Reply #1094 on: December 30, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »
You'd think the director of the classic Red Tails would be more concious about saying shit like that
 :letsfukk

Red Tails is actually pretty solid.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1095 on: December 30, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »
Saw it tonight with my dad and brother. It was ok. Basically it's what I expected upon learning JJ Abrams was directing it: a film almost entirely built upon nostalgia with little identity of its own. Perhaps this is what we deserve, given that Star Wars fans and nerds have been demanding absolute worship of the OT for decades. Well Abrams remade A New Hope for you, enjoy.

It's not a bad film. It's entertaining on many levels. But at the same time it reminds me of a cover band, or one of those rappers people hype as "90s-like." Imitators can be cool but at some point you hit a critical mass of just too much "hey remember this?" So by the time a small group of rebel (err resistance?) fighters raced against time to destroy a mega weapon planet I had had enough.

I like the new characters at least. Finn seems cool, as does Rey. Poe has a lot of potential, but is probably the least developed of the three. Going into the film I assumed Kylo Ren would be Vader 2.0, and suck. In reality that couldn't be farther from the truth. I thought he was the most interesting new character. He's not a badass, or the type of antagonist you'd expect in a film like this. He's a pretty tortured character who seems to have some potential for moral complexity. He's also somewhat sympathetic, even after killing you know who. Legit interested in seeing how this plays out now that he'll be training with the Big Bad.

Perhaps the biggest problem with the film is the plotting/writing. This is a film that presents one coincidence after another. I can buy some coincidences in film/tv/books but again...by the time Han just so happened to lead the party to a bar where Luke's lightsaber just to happened to be...I was done.

Speaking of plotting...there's very little. Even less worldbuilding. The film feels kind of empty. It shows us stuff we've seen before, with the names changed, but doesn't really build on any of it. There's a Republic, and a Resistance for some reason. The First Order arose from the death of the Empire. Ok...well give me some more info on...oh there is none...well nevermind. At least the prequels gave us some lore and expanded on things hinted at in the OT.

Final verdict: far better than the prequels, and there's nothing as bad as Ewoks here. But ROTJ had multiple iconic, amazing scenes from the opening to the Endor battle to Luke v Vader. I'm not sure this film has a single scene or moment that truly wowed me. There's some cool stuff here, of course. But nothing amazing.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1096 on: December 30, 2015, 11:04:17 PM »
#teamkylorenforever

Mods Help

« Reply #1097 on: December 30, 2015, 11:22:05 PM »
Star Wars has always been about coincidences PD. a droid that happens to belong to Leia to search for Obi Wan lands on the same planet as him. Not only that, but the droid is sold to the would be savior of the Galaxy on a whim, who just happens to know  the same guy that R2 is looking for who the droid's master - Luke's twin sister.

Everything about Star Wars sits upon these series of coincidences. Why is Rey and Finn being taken to the same place where Luke's lightsaber is bad, but the Millenium Falcon just happening upon the Death Star - which just happens to have the very princess they're trying to rescue - somehow good? No one has yet managed to answer this for me.

Star Wars has always been coincidental bullshit ruled by destiny. It's why half of the complaints for TFA make no sense to me: because most of the large ones like yours already exist within the ordinal trilogy.

helios

« Reply #1098 on: December 30, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »
Star Wars has always been about coincidences PD. a droid that happens to belong to Leia to search for Obi Wan lands on the same planet as him.

They were going to the same planet anyway.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1099 on: December 30, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »
Star Wars has always been about coincidences PD. a droid that happens to belong to Leia to search for Obi Wan lands on the same planet as him. Not only that, but the droid is sold to the would be savior of the Galaxy on a whim, who just happens to know  the same guy that R2 is looking for who the droid's master - Luke's twin sister.

Everything about Star Wars sits upon these series of coincidences. Why is Rey and Finn being taken to the same place where Luke's lightsaber is bad, but the Millenium Falcon just happening upon the Death Star - which just happens to have the very princess they're trying to rescue - somehow good? No one has yet managed to answer this for me.

Star Wars has always been coincidental bullshit ruled by destiny. It's why half of the complaints for TFA make no sense to me: because most of the large ones like yours already exist within the ordinal trilogy.
helios answered the first part

I think you're mistaking me with someone who is a Star Wars apologist or nerd. I like Star Wars because the first three movies are fun. They all have coincidences but I'm willing to overlook those when the film is getting other shit right. In the OT's case they're very well paced films, especially ESB, and hit more than they miss. Whereas TFA doesn't really accomplish anything outside of aping the tone of the OT, and some well done action scenes. There's nothing there to make me not think about the coincidences, rehashed plot points, etc.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1100 on: December 30, 2015, 11:34:43 PM »
PD on the money. A shining light in the dark, like the specular off of his noire derriere in your ceiling mirror as he goes at it hammer and tong.

Mods Help

« Reply #1101 on: December 30, 2015, 11:35:34 PM »
Doesn't matter.

Two droid's searching for Obi Wan happen upon a would be Jedi, strong in the force.

Who just happens to know Obi Wan.

Who just happens to know Leia - Luke's sister.

Who just happens to be imprisoned by Darth Vader - Luke and Leia's father.

They hitch a ride on a crappy ship, trying to find a princess. They go into hyperdrive escaping the ships on Tatooine and when they get out they just happen to be at the exact place where the princess is kept and is the enemy's super secret weapon.

Star Wars has always been coincidental as fuck. The first episodes anyways.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1102 on: December 30, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »
Another thing: the score is almost completely forgettable.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1103 on: December 30, 2015, 11:47:43 PM »
I remember all those shots in the trailer of the derelict ruins of the empire setting me off to think they might actually do something interesting and explore a crumbling galaxy, ideologically divided between destitute anarchy and the promise of a new imperial order.

Not the most advanced or original concept, but a little bit of world building would've gone a long way to establishing the legitimacy of the universe inbetween the zingers and call backs.

I didn't need it to be war and peace, but it did need to go alot further to be convincing. in every direction I felt like I could touch the edges of the world it presented.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1104 on: December 31, 2015, 12:07:05 AM »
It's not coincidence, it's the force!  >:( R2D2 is a force adept droid ;)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1105 on: December 31, 2015, 12:08:28 AM »
Sigh

Movie kicked ass; PD hates fun
püp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1106 on: December 31, 2015, 12:12:32 AM »
Honestly couldn't read his post because my eyes were rolling too hard after "Perhaps this is what we deserve ... " to focus on the text long enough to take it seriously

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1107 on: December 31, 2015, 12:16:42 AM »
I accepted the coincidences in ANH a lot more readily, but I'm pretty sure it's cause I was seven.

Not the most advanced or original concept, but a little bit of world building would've gone a long way to establishing the legitimacy of the universe inbetween the zingers and call backs.

Same for me, but I understand why it wasn't a priority.  This was a project to relaunch a big corporate brand, win back some audience goodwill, and provide a bridge to the characters who would carry the next few movies.  They decided to stuff the movie itself with action sequences, callbacks, and jokes, and make the world-building accessible through comics and "canon novels" to the nerds who would really care about that stuff.  It's very, very 2015.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1108 on: December 31, 2015, 12:20:43 AM »
So basically TFA is Walking With A Panther, specifically Going Back To Cali. Oh man Rick Rubin is back and everything is gonna be back to normal. Then you hear the rest of the album.

So the next movie will be Mama Said Knock You Out
::lawd

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1109 on: December 31, 2015, 12:30:34 AM »
So basically TFA is Walking With A Panther, specifically Going Back To Cali. Oh man Rick Rubin is back and everything is gonna be back to normal. Then you hear the rest of the album.

White version of this metaphor:  Whatever country album Garth Brooks released after the whole Chris Gaines... thing.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1110 on: December 31, 2015, 01:08:57 AM »
I'm trying my hardest to make a Coldplay or U2 alternative metaphor for the white version of this.
:stahp

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1111 on: December 31, 2015, 01:14:48 AM »
such whine

much butthurt

GEORGE

wow

He's not really complaining at all if you watch the video. He is joking for a few good minutes, comparing Star Wars to his kids, to his ex and then... Badly, as slaves. But he is laughing the whole way through and saying he knew this would happen, and he accepted from the beginning to not have anything to do with the movie, as he would mess it up too much.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1112 on: December 31, 2015, 01:16:14 AM »
I'm trying my hardest to make a Coldplay or U2 alternative metaphor for the white version of this.
:stahp

TFA is Win, Lose or Draw and Episode VIII is Enlightened Rogues.
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1113 on: December 31, 2015, 04:09:08 AM »
PD complaining about JJ Wars lacking identity while eating at authentic italian experience Olive Garden with his dad and brother

helios

« Reply #1114 on: December 31, 2015, 07:57:17 AM »

Who just happens to know Obi Wan.
Because Obi Wan has been watching over him in a neglectful dad sort of way.

Who just happens to know Leia.
Because he was there when she was born. And given to a group of people who opposed the Empire from the start. Leia didn't know him. She was just told by her father that Obi Wan is a cool guy.

Who just happens to be imprisoned by Darth Vader
Rebel scum being imprisoned is a coincidence now?

They hitch a ride on a crappy ship, trying to find a princess. They go into hyperdrive escaping the ships on Tatooine and when they get out they just happen to be at the exact place where the princess is kept and is the enemy's super secret weapon.
They were not in search of the Princess; they were going to Alderaan to deliver the Death Star plans like Leia wanted. The coincidence happens when the Empire decides to use its super weapon on Alderaan right before the MF got there. When they get pulled into the Death Star, they are looking for a way to escape. They only go rescue Leia after R2 found her in the Death Star's system.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1115 on: December 31, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »
There's a theater in Atlanta that has first showing of the day for $4.25.

:rejoice

Which theater?

North Dekalb Mall. Pretty far from where you're at if I remember correctly?

Ah, yeah, I think so.  I'm out in Dunwoody.  I saw Star Wars at LaFont Sandy Springs.  They have huge home theater-style bucket seats with footrests and alcohol on tap. 
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1116 on: December 31, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
Star Wars is this is other galaxy with different laws of physics and magic shit that you're not supposed to believe works the same as our world. Like the difference between Harry Potter and Star Trek.

You don't suspend your disbelief because of how well organized the world building details are but because it's cool mofos.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1117 on: December 31, 2015, 11:21:18 AM »
But this film wasn't cool. It felt like fan fiction. As I said I'd be fine with the holes if there was something awesome or concrete to focus on instead, but in the absence of that I had little else to do but be annoyed. It's not a bad movie. But I can only take so many calculated nostalgia blasts.

The Starkiller thing almost felt inconsequential. Like it was something thrown in because a climax of Kylo dueling two noobs wasn't enough. Speaking of the duel, I thought the force didn't work that way, as Han said. Ren channeling the force to go toe to toe with a competent semi trained sith struck me as quite convenient as well.

The film has arguably one of the worst climaxes of the series. Firmly behind the OT and ROTS (Obi Wan v Anakin) in that regard.

I'm guessing the next film will attempt to be ESB on steroids. I just hope the twist isn't that Ren is Luke's daughter. Kylo training should be cool, and I wonder what Luke is like now. And who knows, maybe there will be a battle on a snow planet :doge

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1118 on: December 31, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
Im not sure if you are trolling PD

I think you came into the movie with a certain mindset, as you say the movie is as you imagined a JJ SW would be, and then just looked for arguements to support that view.

I didn't think about the movie at all before I went to see it, didn't imagine anything, with an open mind I had a blast in the cinema.I just wanted it not to suck like the lifeless prequels (which somehow you praise twice in your analysis lol),

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:17:18 PM by Premium Lager »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1119 on: December 31, 2015, 12:40:48 PM »
How could you not expect nostalgia retreads from Abrams going in, given his track record? Outside of that I went in figuring it had to be better than the prequels, and it was. As I said it's not bad. My problem is that it doesn't feel original at all. But clearly this is what Star Wars fans wanted. A new New Hope. Hell the next film will feature Rey training with a long lost Jedi master...who wants to bet she'll abandon her training early to save Finn?

Mods Help

« Reply #1120 on: December 31, 2015, 12:53:23 PM »
Hell the next film will feature Rey training with a long lost Jedi master

The only person in the world who didn't think Jedi training would happen in the middle movie of this trilogy before even seeing the movie is you, apparently.

And she won't abandon her training. She's nothing like Luke.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1121 on: December 31, 2015, 01:01:17 PM »
such whine

much butthurt

GEORGE

wow

He's not really complaining at all if you watch the video. He is joking for a few good minutes, comparing Star Wars to his kids, to his ex and then... Badly, as slaves. But he is laughing the whole way through and saying he knew this would happen, and he accepted from the beginning to not have anything to do with the movie, as he would mess it up too much.

I don't know. I get a passive aggressive tone to everything he says and does. Which is especially odd to me since he's the one who sold it.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #1122 on: December 31, 2015, 01:16:37 PM »
I'm excited to rewatch the movie today. I didn't think I would be, but here I am going to SF just to see it in LAZER IMAX!

I guess that means the movie was good?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1123 on: December 31, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »
The film has arguably one of the worst climaxes of the series. Firmly behind the OT and ROTS (Obi Wan v Anakin) in that regard.

Not sure why you put ROTS in there. That shit was awful. Overly long. Overly indulgent. And a pretty dumb setup. I would potentially agree with all of the original trilogy but none of that prequel shit.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1124 on: December 31, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »
I would take unlimited calculated nostalgia blasts to the face if I like the setting and everything else about it is well made. Just look at everyone playing Battlefront 3.

The next movie will probably have Luke sulking about how bad he failed his family and Rey will tell him he used to be a bad ass but now he's a coward who runs away. Then Luke will be like no, Ren kidnapped you and abandoned you on Jakku.  :ohhh

And Han doesn't know how the force really works. That's why he sent his kid to Jedi boarding school. He probably just didn't want to hurt Finn's feelings by telling him he has no force.

Mods Help

« Reply #1125 on: December 31, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
I seriously need clarification on this, PD.

You really thought that a movie called The Force Awakens, that has Mark Hammill as Luke Skywalker, won't have him in the movies in the capacity of a teacher that will teach the new generation?

What did you expect Mark Hammil's role to be in the new trilogy when it was announced he was on board? If Luke wasn't going to be a teacher in the middle movie, he was going to be one in the first or third movie. But for real, serious question: what did you expect?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1126 on: December 31, 2015, 01:57:39 PM »
I seriously need clarification on this, PD.

You really thought that a movie called The Force Awakens, that has Mark Hammill as Luke Skywalker, won't have him in the movies in the capacity of a teacher that will teach the new generation?

What did you expect Mark Hammil's role to be in the new trilogy when it was announced he was on board? If Luke wasn't going to be a teacher in the middle movie, he was going to be one in the first or third movie. But for real, serious question: what did you expect?

Did I expect it? Yes. I have no problem with plot points or tropes that harkon back to the past films, when handled well. But as I've said multiple times, the problem arises when the film becomes little more than a collection of call backs, homages, and "hey remember that" moments. Rey's inevitable training with Luke now becomes just another moment like that.

Mods Help

« Reply #1127 on: December 31, 2015, 01:59:45 PM »
I don't why all the call backs are so bad beyond the death star one, or why you think it'll play out just like ESB even though JJ isn't directing Ep 8. JJ is the fanboy director, but he's not the only director.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1128 on: December 31, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »
Has the trilogy been generally planned out already, storytelling wise, or has Abrams simply worked on the story of one film? Ultimately the script is the problem with TFA, not the directing. I'd be curious to know who is writing the next one.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1129 on: December 31, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »
I think Rian Johnson is.  Luke speaking like he's from Brick is going to rock.  :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1130 on: December 31, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »
Has the trilogy been generally planned out already, storytelling wise, or has Abrams simply worked on the story of one film? Ultimately the script is the problem with TFA, not the directing. I'd be curious to know who is writing the next one.

Be honest, you just wanna know if there's Rey x Finn IR before the end of the trilogy.
©@©™

Mods Help

« Reply #1131 on: December 31, 2015, 02:11:56 PM »

They make the films separately as a collaborative effort I think.

Rian Johnson didn't start working on the 8 until he saw rough cuts of TFA I think.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1132 on: December 31, 2015, 02:12:46 PM »
Rian Johnson ok. Abrams exec producing, which means he'll be involved in the writing process on some level.

Speaking to The LA Times, he said: ‘These movies will all be so different. [Episode 8 director] Rian Johnson is a friend of mine — he’s going to make some weird thing.
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/30/star-wars-screenwriter-says-episode-8-is-going-to-be-weird-so-be-prepared-everyone-5592652/#ixzz3vvYKr3bN

I'm cool with that.

Mods Help

« Reply #1133 on: December 31, 2015, 02:15:40 PM »
The script is already written and JJ said he wish he wrote he wrote it.

Executive producers are execs. They have nothing to do with writing.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1134 on: December 31, 2015, 02:16:39 PM »
exec producers have influence over everything...

Mods Help

« Reply #1135 on: December 31, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »
Execs have influence, but you said "which means he'll be involved in the writing process" as if he's going to be joining in with the writing team.

helios

« Reply #1136 on: December 31, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »
Execs give notes on the script (and everything else). It's not the writer's script; it's the studio's. If the studio wants something changed in the script, it will be changed. The writer just has to make it work.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1137 on: December 31, 2015, 06:04:37 PM »
Idk about that worst climax in series bit when the forest saber fight is literally the best saber fight in the series since Empire. And I liked Anakin vs Obi Wan on the lava despite how fucking goofy it was. Really great choice on JJ/Kasdan/DP's part to pick an environment where almost everything would react to their sabers just as a last fuck you to Lucas.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #1138 on: January 01, 2016, 03:19:05 PM »
Saw it.

Was entertaining enough and I had fun.

Nerds gotta dissect the shit out of it though I guess.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1139 on: January 01, 2016, 06:38:55 PM »
I'm sorry I'm gonna need you to rate it as the second coming or Armageddon