Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557492 times)

Tasty

Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #1140 on: January 01, 2016, 06:45:26 PM »
Saw it.

Was entertaining enough and I had fun.

Nerds gotta dissect the shit out of it though I guess.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1141 on: January 01, 2016, 08:18:37 PM »
Saw that yesterday and I died laughing when they got to the "budget cuts".   :lol

Tasty

« Reply #1142 on: January 01, 2016, 08:20:30 PM »
I lost it at "The newly-renamed Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center" :lol :lol :lol

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1143 on: January 01, 2016, 08:21:31 PM »
That was pretty great as well. :lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1144 on: January 01, 2016, 08:44:49 PM »
VitaPaste  :drool

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1145 on: January 02, 2016, 12:16:44 AM »

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #1146 on: January 02, 2016, 04:37:55 AM »
I lost it at "The newly-renamed Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center" :lol :lol :lol

Just got around to watching it, omg, why...

Like a real politician Palpatine didn't fund it well too lmao

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1147 on: January 04, 2016, 05:13:10 AM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1148 on: January 04, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1149 on: January 04, 2016, 11:58:48 PM »
so I was rewatching ANH earlier today and it really just did so much better getting you up to date with what's been going down in their world and the whole politics side. TFA copied a lot from ANH, but maybe not the right parts. it's not that hard get the audience current without a bunch of shitty exposition either.

I still like TFA and I think I'll like it more on second viewing, but it left a bit too much to be desired.

Mods Help

« Reply #1150 on: January 05, 2016, 02:41:22 AM »
ANH? The movie where the main characters just happen to find the bad guys lair out of sheer luck that happens to house the princess they're looking for? That felt large?

:lol

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 02:45:36 AM by Mods Help »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1151 on: January 05, 2016, 03:06:01 AM »
A New Hope felt like an old (poorly aged) movie when I saw it so I gave it a pass for not explaining to us why there's a princess fighting a dude in a cape since it was just a really cool and fun world.

ANH? The movie where the main characters just happen to find the bad guys lair out of sheer luck that happens to house the princess they're looking for? That felt large?

Luke fiddles with R2 and he accidentally poops out the top secret encrypted message that says "go to Alderaan to save the world fuckboys" so since he's all turned on and his aunt/uncle are dead he grabs Solo and they head to Alderaan but they get there a little late and the Death Star grabs them right there. It's not brilliant writing but it explains everything.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1152 on: January 05, 2016, 03:21:11 AM »
so I was rewatching ANH earlier today and it really just did so much better getting you up to date with what's been going down in their world and the whole politics side.

I don't think that's really true.  The politics in ANH are so simple and archetypical (big evil empire vs. small good resistance) that they didn't demand as much explaining.  "The senate is dissolved, control will be given to the regional governors" isn't terribly illuminating, but did the audience even need that much?

Plus we were all like seven years old.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1153 on: January 05, 2016, 03:33:22 AM »
Yeah I remember being confused as a kid why Princess Leia was fighting the emperor who was probably her dad or something. They didn't really explain that royalty stuff too well in the original trilogy but the second trilogy showed that her mom was the youngest democratically elected queen of Naboo and her adoptive father was a senator which explained everything.

Mods Help

« Reply #1154 on: January 05, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »
A New Hope felt like an old (poorly aged) movie when I saw it so I gave it a pass for not explaining to us why there's a princess fighting a dude in a cape since it was just a really cool and fun world.

Luke fiddles with R2 and he accidentally poops out the top secret encrypted message that says "go to Alderaan to save the world fuckboys" so since he's all turned on and his aunt/uncle are dead he grabs Solo and they head to Alderaan but they get there a little late and the Death Star grabs them right there. It's not brilliant writing but it explains everything.

I didn't say it didn't explain everything.

Everything is explained but saying the scope is large? ANH feels like a cramped universe where everything is a coincidence. I'm not seeing how it's more large or feels more large than TFA.

And yeah, like I argued a few pages back, I was 11 when I watched that movie. So we have different expectations as adults but the reality is that Jack and shit have changed. Except our standards.

Yeah I remember being confused as a kid why Princess Leia was fighting the emperor who was probably her dad or something. They didn't really explain that royalty stuff too well in the original trilogy but the second trilogy showed that her mom was the youngest democratically elected queen of Naboo and her adoptive father was a senator which explained everything.

I didn't understand how Leia is a princess when her father isn't a king. If the emperor is the emperor how is she a princess? ???

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:17:54 AM by Mods Help »

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1155 on: January 05, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »
mods help, https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3zglnb/star_wars_fans_that_didnt_like_the_force_awakens/

1000+ odd comments there. not sure you'll be able to set them all straight but i'm sure you'll give it a go.

have fun mate.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1156 on: January 05, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
Her adoptive father was king, of Alderaan.

Mods Help

« Reply #1157 on: January 05, 2016, 12:06:55 PM »
mods help, https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3zglnb/star_wars_fans_that_didnt_like_the_force_awakens/

1000+ odd comments there. not sure you'll be able to set them all straight but i'm sure you'll give it a go.

have fun mate.

It's not that serious. You seem to be taking it more seriously than me, mate.

Tasty

« Reply #1158 on: January 05, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »

Mods Help

« Reply #1159 on: January 05, 2016, 12:27:05 PM »
It is pretty dumb and bad. What am I to say exactly? :lol

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1160 on: January 05, 2016, 01:29:08 PM »
Is Maz that little alien? Agree 100% there Wrath. No connection with her

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1161 on: January 05, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »
Got the chance to see it again with my lil bro this time. He liked it and his opinion almost exactly mirrors mine in that he likes it but he's not sure yet. It's also growing on him more as he thinks about just like it happened with me.  :lol

For me, I liked it more. Mostly because I started noticing more potential in it. Specifically Kylo Ren, I like that he's a dweeb a little more now(even though I still find it kinda grating) but it feels like a lot of it could be elevated or drop down here by the sequels. I still really like the movie, but if the sequel somehow fucks up it will most definitely take this movie down a few pegs. I trust in Johnson so I'm not worried, hell I'm mostly excited at the possibilities we were left with.

The only real weak points to me this go around is Leia's delivery, but it doesn't bother me as much this time around. The weakest part was honestly Maz or whatever her name is. She's just meh.

I still get the ANH similarities thing but I started to think it was more of a remix of the first two in the OT with its own flavor. I'm still really happy with it. Great movie.

My big hope for Ren going forward is they play up that even though he's had more training than say Rey, he just really lacks a lot of discipline maybe even less than other "knights of ren." A good contrast for rey this way since she spent all that time alone surviving she's much more tempered than he is. You can see that a little in FA imo, like when she doesn't accept the food bribe for the droid and later when she politely turns down Han's offer even though she wants it. I hope the humbling he got at the end of the movie opens them up to show him getting more training alongside Rey's training. That'd be cool.

Mods Help

« Reply #1162 on: January 05, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
i think that's what we're probably going to get: two students growing at the same time. shit sounds exciting.

and fuck maz. waste of lupita.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1163 on: January 05, 2016, 05:42:36 PM »
Her adoptive father was king, of Alderaan.

Are the Alderaanian  kings democratically elected? And why might an Alderaanite be allowed to hold two positions? He might have the power to gerrymander the Alderaaner vote.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1164 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:50 PM »
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-george-awakens

It's a pretty good, concise evaluation, overall!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1165 on: January 06, 2016, 12:27:01 AM »

It's a load of butt tonguing horseshit is what it is.

Lucas is a butthurt turdburglar, he was never a good director, and any- ANY- attempt to lessen the crime that those cinematic abortion prequels committed can be ignored out of hand. Article is complete dreck, and it's no coincidence that two of the writers it cites as being favorable towards Lucas after TFA are Suderman and Douthat, a moron libertopian and a moron conservative.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. Good day, sir.
yar

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #1166 on: January 06, 2016, 12:55:40 AM »
rofl at George bigging himself up over the editing in the old star wars films like Marcia was erased from the world at their divorce

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1167 on: January 06, 2016, 01:01:32 AM »
Nearly on par with GRRM's recent output, even
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1168 on: January 06, 2016, 01:03:53 AM »

Shorter version: People gave Lucas a lot of shit cause of the prequels, but what if they didn't count?  Then he's looking pretty good, huh?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1169 on: January 06, 2016, 01:10:20 AM »
Yeah, I take it as "he was a visionary filmmaker and JJ's tribute emphasized this." No-one needs those shit Prequels though.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1170 on: January 06, 2016, 01:35:36 AM »
I honestly don't think he's a very good director. I'd probably rate his films ANH>THX>AG. I honestly don't like American Graffiti like, at all.
yar

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1171 on: January 06, 2016, 01:42:18 AM »
I've always been on the side of George Lucas was a great director who basically stopped working on his craft after Jedi and the later part of his career is directly the result of that. He also seemed to lose that ability to understand critical evaluation of his work from outside sources. It all seemed like one giant bubble.

There are a lot of narratives rolling around with the relaunch of Star Wars and everybody seems to be spinning their particular angle very hard.

The most dominant one seems to be that Lucas was a visionary and JJ is just an imitator with nothing new to really add other than rehashing the nostalgia which corresponds to the new film and the old films While that is overly simplistic at best I get the small-ish nugget of truth in it. JJ is no kubrick or maverick filmmaker. But maybe new Star Wars would have always felt like a rebooting of the themes and tones of the old movies. You also can't ignore the fact that it had to be that way. Lucas so fucked it that this had to be this kind of film to clean the slate. And its also pretty lame to knock a good movie like the Force Awakens with "its all rehashed shit". That's too simplistic too. 

People are too close to it right now. Give it 5 years or so especially after the next movie and more intelligent analysis of the whole thing with some hindsight will be better served.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:46:40 AM by Stoney Mason »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1172 on: January 06, 2016, 02:39:00 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1173 on: January 06, 2016, 03:16:58 AM »
They just look sorta similar. I think Snoke is something new and definitely not sith. At least not in the way we know sith to be.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1174 on: January 06, 2016, 06:49:34 AM »
The best theory I've heard so far is the Grand Inquisitor from the REBELS tv show.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1175 on: January 06, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »
I have a ton of respect for young George Lucas and what he accomplished in his early career: THX-1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, legitimizing space opera and kick starting a brand-new wave of science fiction. But let's get real, the best thing he's done for the Star Wars franchise in nearly 30 years is selling it off to somebody else. The awfulness of ANH's special edition, the cinematic abortion that was the PT, and his role in dragging down the Indiana Jones franchise, as well, aren't things that just go away.
dog

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #1176 on: January 06, 2016, 01:57:13 PM »
I honestly don't think he's a very good director. I'd probably rate his films ANH>THX>AG. I honestly don't like American Graffiti like, at all.

Dude's imagination got him a few billion dollars. Your imagination got you a wet dream.

:point
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1177 on: January 06, 2016, 01:57:59 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Okay so after he turned to help Luke he decided to turn back and be a bad guy again? Nah I ain't buying it.
YMMV

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1178 on: January 06, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »
Midichlorian symbiote born of Vader's suit, duh

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1179 on: January 06, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »
Midichlorian symbiote born of Vader's suit, duh

Star wars can't even build a fucking transporter or a machine that can cobble earl grey out of matter. C'mon man.
YMMV

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1180 on: January 06, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »
Yeah but it's Disney now, so is marvel, clearly venom got all up in Vader's suit, how aren't you following?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1181 on: January 06, 2016, 02:24:14 PM »
Yeah but it's Disney now, so is marvel, clearly venom got all up in Vader's suit, how aren't you following?

Just force pour him into space. Problem solved.
YMMV

Tasty

« Reply #1182 on: January 06, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »

Darn you wimmin and blacks, always blowin up my death stars!!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1183 on: January 07, 2016, 11:19:29 PM »
TFA just passed Avatar at the domestic box office, on a normal weekday where it made $6 million.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1184 on: January 07, 2016, 11:28:10 PM »
it's definitely vader

Mods Help

« Reply #1185 on: January 07, 2016, 11:38:28 PM »
Those scars aren't even in the same place. :beli

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1186 on: January 08, 2016, 12:05:48 AM »
if that's true  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1187 on: January 08, 2016, 12:11:26 AM »
But ghost anakin  ???

Still haven't seen this :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1188 on: January 08, 2016, 08:42:42 AM »

We're talking about Star Wars fan speculation here, the same group of people who gave serious consideration to the idea that Jar Jar Binks was actually a sith lord.
dog

Mods Help

« Reply #1189 on: January 08, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »

We're talking about Star Wars fan speculation here, the same group of people who gave serious consideration to the idea that Jar Jar Binks was actually a sith lord.

Wait they were serious about that? I thought it was a meme.

Tasty

« Reply #1190 on: January 08, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »

Wait they were serious about that? I thought it was a meme.

It was. Then people took it seriously.

"It was George's plan all along!" "So THAT'S who 'the phantom menace' is!" "Even the mocap actor confirms it!"

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1191 on: January 08, 2016, 10:32:07 AM »
It's pretty obvious that Supreme Leader Snoke is Gollum. It looks just like him!
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1192 on: January 08, 2016, 11:09:30 AM »
The twist is that Luke is an undercover Sith who will turn Rey to the dark side. Meanwhile Kylo will continue to struggle with his feelings and turn good, barely escaping Snoke's lair alive. Rey kills Poe to complete her training. Emotions get in the way as she tries to kill Finn, then Kylo saves him at the last minute. The movie ends with Kylo being imprisoned by the rebellion as Finn tries to vouch for him.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1194 on: January 08, 2016, 12:34:38 PM »
that's someone fisking a listicle

it's a fucking fisticle

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1195 on: January 08, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
Mandark's insane hatred of fisking

:lawd
yar

Mods Help

« Reply #1196 on: January 08, 2016, 12:41:17 PM »
that's someone fisking a listicle

it's a fucking fisticle

It's pretty good though.

4. Rey becomes nearly as effective a Force-user in a few hours as Luke Skywalker did in a few years.

Yeah.  Makes you wonder why doesn’t it?  Kinda feels like we’re being set up for something in the future.  I wonder if we’ll ever find out about her mysterious past and her mystical connection to the Force and Luke Skywalker?  If you don’t understand that this is set-up for future films, then you should have your Netflix password taken away from you.

Tasty

« Reply #1197 on: January 08, 2016, 12:45:18 PM »
Read this, guys.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/matty-granger/at-long-lastmy-star-wars-episode-vii-review-the-force-awakens-the-rise-of-idiot-/10153163095086277

Well, I've waited a few weeks to write my “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” review and finally, after multiple viewings and numerous vibrant discussions, I feel that I’m ready to give this movie the review it truly deserves.

No one cares, shut up.

Fuck I hate anything written that starts with this. Go bury the lede up your ass next time instead and save us the trouble (though it'll be hard with your head already occupying that space.)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1198 on: January 08, 2016, 01:04:15 PM »
My parents LOVED the movie. Whereas two of my brothers and myself basically had the same meh response.

Tasty

« Reply #1199 on: January 08, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »