Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557744 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #1200 on: January 08, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »
its vader guys

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1201 on: January 08, 2016, 06:13:54 PM »
Read this, guys.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/matty-granger/at-long-lastmy-star-wars-episode-vii-review-the-force-awakens-the-rise-of-idiot-/10153163095086277

Well, I've waited a few weeks to write my “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” review and finally, after multiple viewings and numerous vibrant discussions, I feel that I’m ready to give this movie the review it truly deserves.

No one cares, shut up.

Fuck I hate anything written that starts with this. Go bury the lede up your ass next time instead and save us the trouble (though it'll be hard with your head already occupying that space.)

That HuffPo article/list is pretty awful, though.
dog

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1202 on: January 08, 2016, 06:58:07 PM »
Going with the Nazi theme, I think that Snoke was just a low level officer in the Imperial army at the time of the Battle of Endor who got pissed off at the Republic and the Jedis. Hence, the kristallnacht of the Jedi academy and the build up of arms and superweapons. Snoke is Hitler.

Think about it:
If you rearrange snoke you get kones which could be a reference to WW1 German helmets.... :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1203 on: January 08, 2016, 08:39:19 PM »
how dare you call Lord Vader a low level officer!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1204 on: January 08, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1205 on: January 08, 2016, 09:26:58 PM »
Read this, guys.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/matty-granger/at-long-lastmy-star-wars-episode-vii-review-the-force-awakens-the-rise-of-idiot-/10153163095086277

I don’t know about the rest of you but I’ve grown exhausted with the horseshit, hater culture that online, millennial ‘journalists’ use to click-bait their way to some sort of self-perceived intellectual high ground.  Hate first.  Don’t bother asking questions later.

did you write this?

it's awful mate.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1206 on: January 08, 2016, 09:54:36 PM »
Get angry over critical reactions to kiddie sci fi films brehs
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #1207 on: January 08, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »
Read this, guys.

Well, I've waited a few weeks to write my “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” review and finally, after multiple viewings and numerous vibrant discussions, I feel that I’m ready to give this movie the review it truly deserves.

No one cares, shut up.

Fuck I hate anything written that starts with this. Go bury the lede up your ass next time instead and save us the trouble (though it'll be hard with your head already occupying that space.)

That HuffPo article/list is pretty awful, though.

Well it's HuffPo, so obviously.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Tasty

« Reply #1209 on: January 09, 2016, 02:46:16 PM »
#TeamChewbacca

(Image removed from quote.)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1210 on: January 09, 2016, 02:52:04 PM »
:tocry
kylo ren yall :fbm

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #1211 on: January 10, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »
Movie was okay.

The only great Star Wars film is ESB. That's 1 for 7.

Nerds need to stop victimizing others with their overhype and proselytizing.

Did we not learn anything from the Wii or the sinking of the Titanic?

Star Trek 2009 > Star Wars 2015

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1212 on: January 10, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »

Uhh...nerds are hardly the only group with a very high opinion of TFA.
dog

Mods Help

« Reply #1213 on: January 10, 2016, 03:44:57 PM »
Movie is the highest grossing film in American history.

Only nerds like it!

Good logic.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1214 on: January 10, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »

Uhh...nerds are hardly the only group with a very high opinion of TFA.

True, but nerds are the loudest when it comes to any product or piece of entertainment, in both a positive sense and negative sense.

Case in point, the Souls series is a great. But the small group of people that constantly prop Dark Souls 1 as a videogame jewel that's next to flawless will taint reasonable expectations that existed. And then you have Dark Souls 2, which is great, but its trash talked constantly by that small audience, so much so it would be easy to assume Dark Souls 2 is a Devil May Cry 2 type of sequel.

OH!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1215 on: January 10, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »
hyperbolic backlash is in full swing
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1217 on: January 10, 2016, 07:24:45 PM »
it's more interesting than all the prequels. But I'd rather watch A New Hope than watch a remake  :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1218 on: January 10, 2016, 07:33:13 PM »
The prequels did have some interesting world-building and lore, but they weren't interesting movies.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1219 on: January 10, 2016, 07:37:03 PM »
Yea that's a good point. As movies they simply don't work and are not interesting/entertaining/etc. In terms of lore and world building they do more interesting things than this new film does.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1220 on: January 10, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
Yea that's a good point. As movies they simply don't work and are not interesting/entertaining/etc. In terms of lore and world building they do more interesting things than this new film does.

Prequels = AFfC

:jawalrus
yar

Tasty

« Reply #1221 on: January 10, 2016, 08:07:53 PM »

Prequels = AFfC

TFA = ADWD?  :dayum

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1222 on: January 10, 2016, 08:22:40 PM »

Prequels = AFfC

TFA = ADWD?  :dayum

TFA = Telltale's Game of Thrones Season 1 

:snob
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1223 on: January 10, 2016, 08:27:49 PM »
:rofl

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1224 on: January 11, 2016, 07:34:38 PM »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1225 on: January 11, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
holy fuck :rofl
AMC

Tasty

« Reply #1226 on: January 11, 2016, 07:50:21 PM »
JESUS :rofl

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1227 on: January 11, 2016, 07:51:39 PM »

Baiano19

« Reply #1228 on: January 11, 2016, 07:53:51 PM »
Jesus crhist  :lol

Mods Help

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1230 on: January 11, 2016, 08:11:31 PM »
Ravenkliff 2 hours ago
 What's funny is that ludicrous deal Qui Gon makes on the podrace bet is actually pretty in line with something frank would do.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1231 on: January 11, 2016, 09:05:32 PM »
püp

Tasty

« Reply #1232 on: January 14, 2016, 08:11:41 PM »

Sheeeiiiit. Actual good use of prequel footage.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1233 on: January 14, 2016, 08:23:21 PM »
Really highlights how great of an actor Guinness was, and how important he was in lending legitimacy to the story as a whole.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1234 on: January 15, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »
There's a rumor that Star Wars: Rogue One is going to have

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Darth Vader voiced by James Earl Jones.   :gladbron Supposedly a faithful recreation of the original suit has already been built.
[close]
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1235 on: January 15, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
:beli

Tasty

« Reply #1236 on: January 15, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »
I thought that actor was dead?

Edit- Guess not. Wow.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1237 on: January 15, 2016, 11:29:35 AM »
Really highlights how great of an actor Guinness was, and how important he was in lending legitimacy to the story as a whole.

He was the only actor who wanted a % of ANH proceeds rather than a wage because he thought it would be a hit. Everyone else, including Lucas, thought it would bomb. This is why he made $3 million rather than $25,000.

Pretty gutsy considering he gets killed in the movie.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1238 on: January 15, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »
There's a rumor that Star Wars: Rogue One is going to have

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Darth Vader voiced by James Earl Jones.   :gladbron Supposedly a faithful recreation of the original suit has already been built.
[close]

Why did you spoiler this as if his image won't be on every cereal box months before the movie's release?
zzzzz

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1239 on: January 15, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »
They might be saving Jar-Jar's return for a surprise, I didn't want to ruin it.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1241 on: January 16, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1242 on: January 18, 2016, 03:03:24 PM »
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1243 on: January 18, 2016, 04:03:42 PM »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1244 on: January 18, 2016, 07:31:20 PM »
I thought that actor was dead?

Edit- Guess not. Wow.

If they somehow got him back - and I don't think he'd be interested given his very public complaints over the years - it'd be like how they got Mayhew in the costume but there's no way they had Mayhew do any action scenes... poor guy has such pain in his joints due to Marfan's.

What has he said about it?
itm

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1245 on: January 18, 2016, 07:44:38 PM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/20/does-darth-vader-actor-david-prowse-still-hate-star-wars.html
Prowse, who was cast in the film based on little more than his 6’ 6” height, gave an exclusive interview last week to The Sun, saying, “I’ve only got one favourite memory of filming Star Wars and that is when my very first cheque arrived.”

“No one bothered to contact me about the new movie and to be honest I don’t care,” he added. “I don’t even own Darth Vader’s mask anymore.” Prowse also said that he prefers to be known as the Green Cross Code Man, a superhero character he played in various British road safety PSAs over the years.

“Those behind the film cut me out and have continued to ignore me for years,” Prowse said in the new interview. “So do I have any interest in watching the new movie? No, I don’t.”

Prowse, who is said to be suffering from memory loss and other physical ailments, claims not to know the origin of his feud with Lucas. But it almost certainly dates back to a speech he gave at UC Berkeley in 1978 in which he inadvertently spoiled the ending to The Empire Strikes Back, two years before it was released in theaters.

“Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker… are hooked up in a do-or-die lightsaber duel when Luke learned that Darth is, in fact, his long-lost father,’” Prowse told the audience.
“Father can’t kill son, son can’t kill father. So they live again to star in ‘Star Wars IV.’”
But it was a subsequent documentary, 2010’s The People vs. George Lucas, that increased tensions between the two men. Prowse claims that he did not realize when he gave his interview to the filmmakers behind that project that he would be appearing in an anti-George Lucas movie. Shortly after, Prowse said he was banned from attending any official Star Wars fan conventions.

In the Sun interview, Prowse mostly just sounds like he feels left out of the revived Star Wars mania. “I have never had a call from anyone to be in the new movie,” he told The Sun. “Nobody even bothered to get in contact to ask me about my association with this movie.”

“There was no way I could come back as Darth Vader, as he was killed off, but it would have been nice to have been offered a part, irrespective of the role,” he continued. “It would have been really nice to continue with the Star Wars association.”

“When the new film was being made they had a big party to launch it and I never got invited,” he added.
Prowse also released a statement calling the idea that he would not be seeing the film “total rubbish.” He added, “I wish nothing but the best for The Force Awakens and hope you enjoy seeing it too.”

His only negative comment about the film series came when someone asked what he was most looking forward to in the latest installment. “I’m hoping there are none of those damn Ewoks in this one,” he said.

As an aside, James Earl Jones is already voicing Vader in the animated Star Wars Rebels apparently.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1246 on: January 18, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »

Was bored so I watched this last night. I had heard about it for awhile but not bothered until now. I remember watching the The Phantom Edit and a few other fan edits back when that stuff was originally in fashion for this movie. I remember not really liking them so much because despite their best intentions, the editing often left the movie feeling poorly paced and confusing even relative to the poorly paced and confusing original.

Despite the silly title I actually think this is probably the best cut of the film I've seen. I only originally intended to watch a few minutes of it but found myself interested enough to finish it. Obviously you can't fix the original sins that plague the movie. But you can create a path that removes some of the meandering and outright stupid random elements of the film. And this does a decent job of it.

I guess there is another cut that is also popular among the circle of fans of these things that I'll watch in a few years, the next time I'm curious.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Episode-I-Cloak-Of-Deception-Finished/id/15663

Also this one.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/SW-EP-1-Shadow-of-the-Sith-by-L8wrtr/id/11778
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:27:20 PM by Stoney Mason »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1247 on: January 19, 2016, 12:08:22 PM »

Was bored so I watched this last night. I had heard about it for awhile but not bothered until now. I remember watching the The Phantom Edit and a few other fan edits back when that stuff was originally in fashion for this movie. I remember not really liking them so much because despite their best intentions, the editing often left the movie feeling poorly paced and confusing even relative to the poorly paced and confusing original.

Despite the silly title I actually think this is probably the best cut of the film I've seen. I only originally intended to watch a few minutes of it but found myself interested enough to finish it. Obviously you can't fix the original sins that plague the movie. But you can create a path that removes some of the meandering and outright stupid random elements of the film. And this does a decent job of it.

I guess there is another cut that is also popular among the circle of fans of these things that I'll watch in a few years, the next time I'm curious.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Episode-I-Cloak-Of-Deception-Finished/id/15663

Also this one.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/SW-EP-1-Shadow-of-the-Sith-by-L8wrtr/id/11778

Yeah, I really enjoyed the improvements in the Anti-Cheese Ep. 1.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1248 on: January 19, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »
If nothing else it's a testament to the power, and importance, of editing, an aspect of film-making that most people really don't give much thought to.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1249 on: January 19, 2016, 01:07:40 PM »
Cutting Jar Jar appearances down to the minimum and removing that silly voice and having him speak an alien language that is subtitled are both good moves. It doesn't quite make sense to the logic of the movie of why they are hanging around with him for the rest of the movie but the original also has that problem. And simply removing his presence for much of the film is a big help. Removing the whole underwater bit is also good as that part is a complete nonsense adventure.

Like I said, I was actually able to follow the plot this time around without my mind wandering or being overly confused.

Tasty

« Reply #1250 on: January 19, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »
It's stylistically designed to be that way though.

Tasty

« Reply #1251 on: January 19, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
Fan edits can only do so much.

They may have gone too far in a few places.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #1252 on: January 19, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »
are there any good fan edits of star wars 2 or 3? There is a nice lil thing in 2 with obi wan being a noir detective, but it's not really meaty enough to sustain itself probably, but maybe some enterprising diehard could make something out of it? I can't really remember anything nice in 3 but lots of people seem to believe it is the best of the bad ones, so maybe there is something to salvage there as well?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1253 on: January 19, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
I don't look at it in this black or white way. I think fan edits are fun. It's more an exercise in breaking down a film and analyzing it via editing. I don't think anybody comes into these things expecting to turn crap into gold. You watch them because its a bit interesting to see if certain changes improve the experience or detract from the experience.

And rather than just verbally and mentally thinking about it, you get to watch a product that explores those things. Yep. Phantom Menace is no doubt a bad film. We can all agree on that. A fan edit is like a mod. It's like hey does this small tweak make something more or less interesting. That obviously doesn't interest the mass of people especially when its a bad movie for understandable reasons but I personally I get a lot out of it.

I actually got more understanding out of watching Phantom Menace this go around than I have before. Now whether watching Phantom Menace multiple times at all and whether that's worthwhile is a pretty good question. But hey, life is long. You gotta do something to waste it.

Tasty

« Reply #1254 on: January 19, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »
Fan edits can only do so much.

They may have gone too far in a few places.

I agree completely here. If a movie sucks than it sucks, you can't save it. All movies that were "saved" from the trash heap was due to way different reasons compared to the problems the prequels had.

You can't undo that, but we can diminish the effects of it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1255 on: January 19, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
Oh yeah I wasn't trying to shit on the practice of it, Stoney. Just don't really find it all that interesting myself.

No I get you. I was more explaining my mindset. It's also probably why I've watched those Red Letter Media reviews dozens of times. It's like scratching an itch that can never be fully resolved.

Tasty

« Reply #1256 on: January 19, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »
Yeah I know, just not that appealing when the bad acting and dialogue is still there.

Jar Jar was the key to all this.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1257 on: January 19, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »
Yeah I know, just not that appealing when the bad acting and dialogue is still there.

lol. I think tasty is just making Lucas references.  ;)

Tasty

« Reply #1258 on: January 19, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »

lol. I think tasty is just making Lucas references.  ;)

It's like poetry, sort of. They rhyme.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1259 on: January 19, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »
Making Jar Jar and the Trade Federation guys speak in alien languages makes such a huge difference, it's not even funny.
dog