Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 557220 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #2580 on: December 21, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »

Great Teaser trailer though. I kinda had high hopes after seeing that. 
To be fair, most of those shots aren't even in the movie.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #2581 on: December 21, 2017, 11:53:10 PM »
who in the star wars universe approved of the design policy where someone has to go down with the ship

whats the worst that could happen if someone isn't piloting

c3po should've taken one for the team

benjipwns

« Reply #2582 on: December 21, 2017, 11:57:29 PM »
the auteur speaks: https://www.wired.com/story/rian-johnson-star-wars-last-jedi/
Well, and you can tell me if I’m wrong here, but with The Last Jedi it felt like you were trying to push the idea of what a Star Wars movie could be a little bit further.

Johnson: That wasn’t a stated goal, pushing it forward or changing it or something. I just wanted to make a great Star Wars movie. The thing is I wanted to make a great movie also. That means creating drama with these characters, and that’s going to mean throwing tough stuff at them and taking it to new places. I wasn’t coming in thinking, “We gotta freshen this up! How do I evolve this?” That was the last thing on my mind. But I also came in trying to be unafraid of going to some places if that’s what the story ended up requiring.

Is the new trilogy something you could bring other writers or directors in for? I saw a quote from you the other day where you said you’d like to see more women and people of color directing Star Wars movies, is this an opportunity to do that?

Johnson: Hell yes. Yeah, I’m thinking about that, absolutely. I know I’m going to write and direct the first one, I know I’m going to come up with the story for the entire trilogy. Beyond that, I just don’t know yet. We’re still figuring out how this going to go. But all of those things you just listed are very much on my mind right now.

Do you have dream collaborators?

Johnson: I’ve got plenty. I don’t want to do a list of them right now because I have so many I would inevitably leave out some and then those would be the ones I would end up working with. I have so many folks I know would excel in this world. We’ll see.
So, tell me about the space battles. Were those maneuvers inspired by any real military battles?

Johnson: That’s a good question. Obviously the opening sequence was led by the notion of, I just read a lot about World War II bombing runs—how they worked and how these were big, unmaneuverable beasts that the more nimble fighters would have to protect and how the bombing runs worked. I also looked at a bunch World War II movies. So Twelve O’Clock High was a big reference for me. Just the way that whole sequence played out was very much from studying bombing runs. You can see little cues from other things. For example the ski-speeders at the end. I wanted them to feel very rickety and we kind of went with an open cockpit that was very reminiscent of World War I planes, old biplanes. I thought the notion of this older military technology coming up against the equivalent of a modern Apache helicopter would be really terrifying. Similar to the way [George] Lucas drew from the film The Dam Busters for the trench run for the Death Star, you always try to draw from any real-life source that you can for these things.

I gotta ask, then: Do the First Order or the Resistance have any real-world equivalents in your mind? Any real rebellions?

Johnson: I can’t think of any real-world equivalents that come to mind at all... [Laughs] No, I’m kidding. Take your pick! I think that less drawing from a specific rebellion or a specific situation, it was much more the archetype of a rebellion or the archetype of a resistance. For me that means they’re underdogs, they’re outnumbered, they’re outmatched. And, in this particular chapter, they’re on the run and desperately fighting for their survival. The notion that they should be dead by now but they’re being kept alive basically just by hope, and when that goes they’ll go. That was the foundation, more so than a specific case of rebels.

Right. I ask because I remember back in the day George Lucas compared Darth Vader to George W. Bush and Emperor Palpatine to Dick Cheney, so I was wondering who you think is Kylo Ren and who you think is Supreme Leader Snoke...

Johnson: Hahahaha! I love thinking about it, but I’d be more curious to hear everyone else’s answer. I have a feeling if I say my version of it then it’ll lead to nothing good.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2583 on: December 22, 2017, 12:03:27 AM »
I honestly kind of hope George Lucas does another trilogy called Celestial Battles with 3 great movies that knock it all out the park, infuriating both Disney and Star Wars fans for him making great non continuity/out of religion movies. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2584 on: December 22, 2017, 12:04:58 AM »
I honestly kind of hope George Lucas does another trilogy called Celestial Battles with 3 great movies that knock it all out the park, infuriating both Disney and Star Wars fans for him making great non continuity/out of religion movies.

Good luck with that. He had completely free reign with the Prequels. It did not work to his advantage.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2585 on: December 22, 2017, 12:10:13 AM »
Kinda wish there were more big budget space operas.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
a DUNE TV series with a GoT budget pls :noah
[close]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:17:43 AM by Atramental »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2586 on: December 22, 2017, 12:14:20 AM »
Denis Villenueve is doing the next Dune movie, this is in religion for me :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #2587 on: December 22, 2017, 12:25:37 AM »
Outside of the prequels, Lucas hasn't directed a film since he was 32. Had a divorce that took half his Star Wars earnings prior to the 1990s. Built Lucasfilm, Lucasarts and ILM mostly out of his own pocket. Yet he's worth $5-6 billion today. His workaholic Indiana Jones buddy, who only had to pay $100 million of his divorce out, had others fund his playground studio for him, is only worth $3-4 billion. :american

Obviously Disney needs to be throwing money at him to help them with their MCU set Howard the Duck reboot to pick up the plot strands from the GOTG films.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2588 on: December 22, 2017, 12:39:38 AM »
If Lucas comes up with the rough ideas/framework and hires competent writers, directors and cinematographers around him while not being overbearing and letting the director override him, it could be great.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:sabu
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #2589 on: December 22, 2017, 12:43:07 AM »
worked for Indiana Jones the first three times

etiolate

« Reply #2590 on: December 22, 2017, 12:44:37 AM »
I love Dune, but it's kind of hard to do in film. So much shit is in the character's head.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2591 on: December 22, 2017, 03:51:00 AM »
worked for Indiana Jones the first time

ftfy
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #2592 on: December 22, 2017, 04:32:55 AM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2593 on: December 22, 2017, 04:40:06 AM »
Empire>Return of the Jedi>A New Hope

Honestly my ranking is kind of pointless. I love Empire, but the OT is kind of just one big thing to me. The movies aren't separable.

So far I think this new trilogy is ok. Last Jedi is more interesting then TFA, but only because it was an odd movie. I'll say TFA is probably better, but I'll like watching Last Jedi more.

Rogue One is ok. Didn't really live up to its potential and kind of is just there. Looks cool though, but it's the movie people who want Star Wars to "grow up" want. And well yeah that's not Star Wars.

The Prequel trilogy sucks, but Phantom Menace at least feels like it has some life to it.

TVC15

« Reply #2594 on: December 22, 2017, 04:47:12 AM »
ftfy

Crusade is watchable, but it’s really just Diet Raiders. It’s okay if you can’t get the real thing, but a toothless rehash if you can.

Raiders >>>>> Crusade > Doom > (but only slightly)  Crystal Skull

Doom has the better set pieces in the opening and the mine carts, but Crystal Skull is better when it comes to editing and pacing. Ultimately, in this case, the set pieces are more important.
serge

paprikastaude

« Reply #2595 on: December 22, 2017, 11:39:43 AM »
I remember when I had this internal image of Rogue One being some stone cold Villeneuve like take on the universe. That Vader scene I feel was a glimpse of what could have been. Its too bad everything has to be beholden to the "adventure" instead of just carving out a good story.

This concept inherently could't work as long as they tried so hard to look exactly like Episode 4 (from CG dead actors, to the goofy green death laser and the orange glow in Vader's mask). Because the movie it mimics is a light hearted adventure film for kids. You can't mix this shit with weird (space) iraq war imagery, it's complete nonsense. RO felt as if it was made by some 15 year old edgelord who also wants his Zelda fairytale game to go all dark and gritty on the most shallow level.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2596 on: December 22, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »
I thought it was as bad as the prequels. Eel summarized why a few pages back: it feels like you're watching someone play a video game than watching a movie with a narrative. I feel similar regarding the prequels. It also has characters that are just tropes and the movie expects you to nod your head and just go with the minimal characterization. Just like the prequels.

I gotta say the video game criticism is valid for TLJ. When watching it some of the action sets were like 100% designed to be easily translated to like a Star Wars Battle Pod for example. I will admit to being okay with this because I love those things

TVC15

serge

paprikastaude

« Reply #2599 on: December 22, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »
Well, seems like Rian Johnson didn't keep his own trilogy for long  :doge (Even though the movie has problems, it would be sad if they interpret the "backlash" as "don't try new things with established characters again" - can't wait for Indiana Jones 5 being another rehash that ignores that Ford is 80).

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2600 on: December 22, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/12/22/last-jedi-daily-grosses-are-swiftly-collapsing-the-worst-holds-of-all-9-star-wars-movies/
Yep, figures.

As a designer I run into this all the time.

Most clients hate different/new/innovative/challenging stuff. Which is, ultimately, why humanity will end up going extinct.

Rightfully so. We fucking suck. :trumps

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 04:10:50 PM by Atramental »

Himu

« Reply #2601 on: December 22, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »
TLJ "innovative/challenging" :rofl :crowdlaff
IYKYK

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2602 on: December 22, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »
What are the odds JJ Abrams just reverses course on a lot of this stuff? There are several things he could easily undo, even most of the deaths.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2603 on: December 22, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »
What are the odds JJ Abrams just reverses course on a lot of this stuff? There are several things he could easily undo, even most of the deaths.

I doubt he will "undo" stuff. I think he will just make a JJ Abrams movie which will just be inherently different than a Rian Johnson movie because he is a different director with different values. (I mean that not as a diss on either guy. They just have completely different styles)

etiolate

« Reply #2604 on: December 22, 2017, 05:11:16 PM »
Does JJ do the next one?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2605 on: December 22, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »
Yes

Himu

« Reply #2606 on: December 22, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »
It'll be funny if like how TLJ ignores everything that happened in TFA, the next one ignores everything that happens in TLJ because they're just dudes making shit up with no unified end goal or ending.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #2607 on: December 22, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
I hope Rose dies in the first act.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2608 on: December 22, 2017, 05:31:54 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/12/22/last-jedi-daily-grosses-are-swiftly-collapsing-the-worst-holds-of-all-9-star-wars-movies/

It's probably going to close out at about $650 million domestically. Dunno if I'm ready for a world where that's considered a bomb.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2609 on: December 22, 2017, 05:34:18 PM »
Mark Hamill said it was shit.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2610 on: December 22, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »
I hope Rose dies in the first act.

They're gonna cut to her in a coma, Finn kissing her forehead and then we'll never hear from her again
:9

TVC15

« Reply #2611 on: December 22, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
I hope Benicio is in the next one. That’s kind of an enemy they set up.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2612 on: December 22, 2017, 06:02:47 PM »

JJ will give him a redemption arc where he was sending the First Order money home to build an orphanage full of gay AIDS porgs.
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #2613 on: December 22, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »
The most frustrating part of TLJ was not getting to see Chewbacca eat that BBQ'd porg. That thing looked delicious.

TVC15

« Reply #2614 on: December 22, 2017, 06:10:09 PM »

JJ will give him a redemption arc where he was sending the First Order money home to build an orphanage full of gay AIDS porgs.

JJ will hopefully include this scene:

Maz: I am emotionally invested in you.
DJ: I am cognizant of that.
serge

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #2615 on: December 22, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
Well, seems like Rian Johnson didn't keep his own trilogy for long  :doge (Even though the movie has problems, it would be sad if they interpret the "backlash" as "don't try new things with established characters again" - can't wait for Indiana Jones 5 being another rehash that ignores that Ford is 80).
Did Kathleen Kennedy strike again? Bitch needs to go.

Himu

« Reply #2616 on: December 22, 2017, 07:00:49 PM »
Nah he will be a good guy. He's this trilogy's rogue
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2617 on: December 22, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »

Rain Johnson is still on the new trilogy, nothing has happened other than Forbes put out an article about how The Last Jedi is a huge bomb because it will only make $1.2 billion worldwide.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #2618 on: December 22, 2017, 07:31:18 PM »
The Last Jedi is the rock-bottom, worst-holding movie of the entire 9-film franchise. Even Attack of the Clones looks like a champ in comparison.

In fact, The Last Jedi isn't even holding as well as Justice League did. On its sixth day the DC film retained 27 percent of its opening day audience, nearly double what the Star Wars picture has done.

:kobeyuck

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #2619 on: December 22, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »

Rain Johnson is still on the new trilogy, nothing has happened other than Forbes put out an article about how The Last Jedi is a huge bomb because it will only make $1.2 billion worldwide.
I had assumed Rian sexually assaulted someone due to Spieler1's post. Thank God I can enjoy the penultimate episode of Breaking Bad without feeling guilty about it.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2620 on: December 22, 2017, 07:40:28 PM »
audiences :piss2
nat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2621 on: December 22, 2017, 08:32:33 PM »
naming your kid Rian :piss2
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #2622 on: December 22, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
I shouldn't have to state this because it seems obvious but here goes.

If a lot of people were disappointed with TLJ and don't even like it why the fuck would any of us want to see it again? I watched TFA five times in the theater. I've seen TLJ once and that's enough times. Why the fuck would I want to suffer through Poe, Finn, and Rose again? I have zero desire to watch that movie again in the short term. Whatever good it has is outweighed by the bad. It's likely people saw it like usual, and just had no desire to ever see it again. I can relate. Why go to other showings if you think the movie is flawed out the ass and bores you to death just because it's STAR WAR? Lol fuck that. Movies are expensive af and it's Christmas.

Hell, this applies even if you liked the movie. It has less hype surrounding it in general by being the third Star Wars film release in three years. TFA is not only the first in a sequel trilogy, it was also the first SW movie in over a decade. So you're going to have drop off in general.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:53:51 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2623 on: December 22, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »
Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones were also the lowest grossing in their respective trilogies. And A New Hope and The Phantom Menace were the highest grossing.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2624 on: December 22, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »
Yeah so it doesn't really mean much.

The last of the trilogy is the real test.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2625 on: December 22, 2017, 08:58:26 PM »
People came back in droves for Revenge of the Sith.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #2627 on: December 22, 2017, 09:33:36 PM »
https://www.theringer.com/2017/12/20/16800970/vice-admiral-holdo-maneuver-the-last-jedi

this was easily my biggest problem of the film. given the amount of times the resistance has been in do or die situations, the game theory for no one, especially a droid, not to use the hyperdrive as a weapon makes no fucking sense. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2629 on: December 22, 2017, 11:14:22 PM »

It's probably going to close out at about $650 million domestically. Dunno if I'm ready for a world where that's considered a bomb.

Hate to be all defendy and stuff but there has been a LOT of star wars lately. There has been a theater release for the past three Christmases now. There's a Star Wars cartoon on right now as well. There is a lot of Star Wars to get buried under. It's a little unfair to compare TLJ to previous movies since they were spaced three years apart with very little in between them. People are bound to get burned out on it when in the past it was portioned out.

I know, it doesn't explain super hero movies.
rub

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2630 on: December 23, 2017, 12:04:36 AM »
I mean, we're still talking about a movie that's almost certainly going to end up being one of the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time worldwide [probably top 5 domestically]. The hyperbole in that Forbes article is just ridiculous and is built far more on examining percentages rather than raw dollar amounts.
dog

agrajag

« Reply #2631 on: December 23, 2017, 12:28:35 AM »
Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones were also the lowest grossing in their respective trilogies. And A New Hope and The Phantom Menace were the highest grossing.

This. This movie was always bound to have a lower box office than TFA, even if everyone loved it.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2632 on: December 23, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »
Before seeing the movie, did anyone else think the porgs were rabbit-like? I had only seen still pictures and always assumed those things poking out the side were big floppy ears going down their backs...

Only to see the movie and realize they're actually horrible god forsaken monstraities. Like horrifically burned, stubby penguins with their beaks melted off.

:lucas

agrajag

« Reply #2633 on: December 23, 2017, 12:46:55 AM »
Before seeing the movie, did anyone else think the porgs were rabbit-like? I had only seen still pictures and always assumed those things poking out the side were big floppy ears going down their backs...

Only to see the movie and realize they're actually horrible god forsaken monstraities. Like horrifically burned, stubby penguins with their beaks melted off.

:lucas

I didn't know anything about them prior to the movie besides seeing them on posters. I assumed it was going to be a sentient alien, kind of like Lando's sidekicks in ROTJ.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2634 on: December 23, 2017, 02:25:38 AM »
Instead, they ended up being food. Tasty, tasty food.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2635 on: December 23, 2017, 03:26:59 AM »
Tasty meat. ;)
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #2636 on: December 23, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2637 on: December 23, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »
Ended up watching it again and all I could see, after having read TVC call Rose hideous, is her cabatch patch face force itself into my mind. I half turned away as she attemptrd to squeeze saline from her eye globes.
:9

benjipwns

« Reply #2638 on: December 23, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
Not to take a shot at one of my two favorite Bore mods but*.... A New Hope and Phantom Menace both got multiple wide theatrical re-releases that are counted in their domestic totals. The only wide re-releases for ESB and ROTJ were the Special Edition, and for ATOC and ROTS haven't had any. (They both did the short IMAX tour with TPM.)

Purely on their domestic first runs, ANH and ROTJ are pretty much even except for the horrendous inflation in the dollar between the two. And that's with the insane fact that ANH's first distribution run didn't leave theaters until early 1978. At which point they re-released it three months later. Almost 10% of TPM's domestic total is from the 3D re-release.

*I actually bring this up less because of the INEXACTNESS OF YOUR FIGURES but because of the strange situation where Star Wars has always been incredibly unique in that unlike almost every other franchise since the dawn of the modern blockbuster, it's never had been one that left theaters after blowing its initial wad. Fox and others continued to plug holes in their schedules by putting it back in theaters. In fact, that whole thing we mentioned before about how Fox held the distribution rights to A New Hope still, it's partly because for about five years or so every time Fox had a failed film they yanked from theaters, they sent ANH back out to replace it.

I don't recall Lucas' role in this, but it was arguably partially ideal for building the franchise as a whole by having the film available for people to see regularly again every year. The mass market couldn't rent it, or tape it or anything until roughly after ROTJ's release. So other than TV airings, it rolling back into theaters multiple times a year helped prop up the nascent Lucas licensing empire.

Theaters probably didn't mind having Star Wars back around for parents to dump the kids into either.

Amusingly, the other company best known for re-releasing the same films over and over again into theaters for decades (not to mention their fake supply constraint situation of the home video releases, something that was also done to Star Wars) is of course, Disney.

agrajag

« Reply #2639 on: December 23, 2017, 05:19:36 PM »
Rose is pretty hideous, so is Finn.